What keeps you from watching pvp on twitch?

in PvP

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

1. why are you not watching pvp on twitch?
  2. how could ANet improve viewer experience?
  3. What is the most imprtant thing you look for in a pvp srtream?
  4. Do you think that the MM and leaderboard is gating the growth of GW on twitch?
  5. ????

discuss

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

GW2 pvp is horribly boring to watch lol

GW1 GvG >

in PvP

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

MMORPGs generally were never big on Twitch, even WoW.
And probably never will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

It’s in a place where I’d rather play myself than watch.

I think the fact that there is only conquest does ruin both playing and watching.
You need to have variety. You need the 2v2/3v3 arena skirmish. You need a real resource race mode, 8v8 or 10v10, where nodes can decap themselves or you need to bolster alliances for man power or combat bonuses or whatever else creative that gives a real sense of battle.

It is boring because there is only one game mode. I don’t know anyone who plays Stronghold, to me, this map has failed, and all esl tournaments I think have been on the conquest maps.

So, in short. Variety in both game mode and build diversity.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I would watch arena’s (2v2, 3v3)

in PvP

Posted by: beostigma.2183

beostigma.2183

BIGGER HEALTH BARS is all we need to make viewing more interesting/easy. Personally I find it interesting when i can see the bursts, target focus and general team fight progression, only by observing health bars. And now those health bars are ridiculously small and unreadable

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

If I have time to watch Twitch, I have time to play the game, which I’ll rather do.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Nightmare.1234

Nightmare.1234

here’s my list

1: AI, to much AI on screen for long periods of time. necros worse offenders, Mesmer can be a pain but at least have a summon limit and shatter a lot
2: lots of BIG flashy effects on short spammable cooldowns. anything with a big effect should be on massive cooldowns but be a big game changing move. biggest offenders eles, scrappers and chronos.
3 : Lots of spammable fields. grounds painted with rings just look terrible
4: asuras (just hard to see in all the flashy effects)
5: not a very exciting game mode, made worse with long surviving bunker classes
6: very poor build choices on show (everyone running very samey builds and same classes)
7: boring maps we seen for the last 3 years or so.

so theirs my seven deadly sins of anet’s pvp scene and why esports don’t really work for this game.

Death Good

in PvP

Posted by: Set.7461

Set.7461

Build diversity is a big deal. Seeing the same d/p thieves out of the few that stream is stale and boring. Also personality is big. I have no intentions in supporting a salty BM player(pretty much everyone who steams).

in PvP

Posted by: Khales.3198

Khales.3198

didnt last season an esl “player” forget to inhibit his hack habits and ddos someone during stream ? and won because of that ?

srs pvp in gw is a joke. i watched a bit and couldnt see any sophisticated movement or gameplay, because they switched the cam during fights all the time, and everywhere it just looks like simple faceroll. uninteresting.

(edited by Khales.3198)

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’d rather do things on my own, than watch other people doing them.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

I do watch pvp on twitch and YouTube. It is great entertainment and I can’t wait for weekend finals.

Having that said There is lots of room for improvement. Single player view is good as is but tournament camera is problematic. It often jumps from one place to another with seemingly little reason. I often find myself more interested in side point assaults and 1v1s where as the tournament camera just hovers over the mid and all that can be seen is particle effects.

Another viewership improvement would be larger minimap at least so that player Icons don’t hide other icons. You can’t really count reliably from the mini map where the players are located if all are stacked on two nodes.

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Conquest is just not fun to watch tbh. Streams miss most of the really good plays a lot of the time because they only show one fight at a time, with no real highlighting, and the bigger teamfights are a huge mess anyway with all the particle effects and clones/minions/gyros/etc crammed in. Most of the time I watch the ESL streams its just to see whether anyone is running any interesting team comps or builds.

On the other hand, if I could spectate the matches myself I think I would enjoy it a lot more. Watching top players fight 1v1s/1v2s/2v2s with the classes I play is a lot more entertaining than the constant skipping around the official streams do. If there was ever a system added to replay matches with full spectator control I think the ‘esports’ scene would be in a much better place. There are still a lot of gameplay issues that make the game a pain to watch for most players that need attention, though.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

In Gw2 there is no real competition.
In the whole season, there were three (barely) interesting matches (tcg vs 55 vs vm).
I don’t care about the rest of the matches. If I would want to watch noobs playing, I would just join the spectator mode in hot-join.

1. how could ANet improve viewer experience?
  1. Reduce visual noise.
  2. let the top teams fight each other more often. A single bo3 should not decide the whole season.
  1. What is the most important thing you look for in a pvp stream?

Being able to passionately cheer for a certain player or team. In other words, I have to be interested in the outcome of the match. It does not mean, that I am going to cheer for a certain player or team, just it has to be ‘exciting’.

1. Do you think that the MM and leaderboard is gating the growth of GW on twitch?

I don’t know, maybe, but not directly. If the pvp system were any good, then there would be more players and therefore more potential twitch viewers.
The system is bad – but most players here are QQ because they are awful noobs and are therefore not getting their wings. Guess what… if the system would work as it should, they would still NOT get the wings.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Jebros camera usage and the amount of plays he misses watching an empty point instead.

RP enthusiast

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

The same thing that stops me watching LOL, DOTA, CS, etc, I don’t find video games as a “competitive” thing very interesting to watch, they are low skilled compared to say sport and they lack flair or creativity because they are constrained by the very restrictive limits of a video game.

Oh and it doesn’t help that most of the “pro” players seem to have the mental age of about 14 (and I’m being unfair to many 14 year olds), and think part of being “competitive” is throwing insults non-stop which just gets tedious. (someone posted an interview on Reddit last night with TCG, which is a fine example of this)

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Mainly because there’s no one to watch. Everyone’s gone. PvP representation on twitch is at an all time low.

in PvP

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

I like to watch, the problem is the time and my connection won’t let me watch at the best resolution =/

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

The same thing that stops me watching LOL, DOTA, CS, etc, I don’t find video games as a “competitive” thing very interesting to watch, they are low skilled compared to say sport and they lack flair or creativity because they are constrained by the very restrictive limits of a video game.

Oh and it doesn’t help that most of the players seem to have the mental age of about 14 (and I’m being unfair to many 14 year olds), and think part of being “competitive” is throwing insults non-stop which just gets tedious.

This is why I loved the old skyhammer, because if you didn’t have knockbacks, you had to get creative about how you would get rid of your enemy if you couldn’t beat them and it turned a boring 1-tone match into a barrel of laughs and mistakes.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: egzius.9031

egzius.9031

I would much rather look at PVE than PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I like watching individual streamers in pvp. I get to watch their rotations etc and it helps my gameplay. As for ESL matches, i find them boring and especially confusing with all the Point of View changes every few seconds.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

- gw2 pvp is boring to watch.
- i would watch it if I was allow to spectate in game and wasn’t forced to watch it on twitch. I want to follow whoever I want and be able to spectate builds etc. Also the casters are really annoying.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I’d watch more if twitch didn’t lag the eff out half the time for me.

As for pro league, generally not interested in the way they showcase the fights. I like watching them from their perspective rather than from an overview spectator perspective which is just a mess and i can’t tell who’s doing what in the visual clutter.

I do occasionally watch ppl stream like Chaith, Vallun, beyondb etc but it’s not really all that interesting (conquest) so I get bored fast even if the hosts aren’t bad.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Fluffkin.7358

Mister Fluffkin.7358

I like to watch pvp, if its not soloq stream. So i usually only watch proleague. It´s interesting to watch, the casters do a great job and most matches are quite competetive.

Too bad there´s no competition for those who don´t play proleague. All we got is a stupid randomarena to farm even more stupid archievements and backpacks. Give us automated ingame tourneys anet, thats what pvp needs since release! I think we would have a great pvp scene if there would be a reason to build teams. Instead we get punished with que times around 15 minutes if we queue as a team, because no one does…

in PvP

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

Because the draw of this game is in the little details of the game play, like stowing an ability to force an interrupt. We don’t get to see any of that from overview perspectives of team fights and we get very little from the frequently shifting cams of specific players. They need to pick a popular player and lets get to know more about exactly what their role is within a team and when they’re successful, lets see exactly what moves they made to win fights. The current format tells us an outcome, like player X beat player Y. I want to know how player X did that and the current format doesn’t allow me to answer that question. They need to stop trying to copy real sports with overhead perspectives and embrace the fact that the only people who are willing to watch pro-league are people who also play the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Why would I watch twitch if I can just go play myself? If twitch would shutdown tomorrow I would miss absolutly nothing in my life.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Why would I want to watch people I don’t know play games? I personally see it as a waste of my time where I could be playing a game or doing something else like sleeping or eating, or sleep eating, that’s a thing right?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

On the other hand, if I could spectate the matches myself I think I would enjoy it a lot more. Watching top players fight 1v1s/1v2s/2v2s with the classes I play is a lot more entertaining than the constant skipping around the official streams do. If there was ever a system added to replay matches with full spectator control I think the ‘esports’ scene would be in a much better place. There are still a lot of gameplay issues that make the game a pain to watch for most players that need attention, though.

This.

Half the time I see a player making an interesting play on the mini map and I want to see what’s going on there. But no, we get to spectate a revenant dodging a billion times in a row and hear casters screaming about his pro dodge spams. Or an ele trying to res through cleave in a teamfight.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

because half the time watching gw2 pvp twitch is someone running around the lobby waiting on a queue to pop

wuts moar boring than waiting on your queue to pop… its watching someone else wait for theirs… zzzzz

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

Because their experience is not indicative whatsoever of what the typical player will see. Many streamers are near the top levels of MMR, meaning they win their games easily, their teammates do what they’re supposed to, and the streamer comments that he’s not even trying while he’s winning 500-50.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

tbh, the only streams that are worth watching are helseth’s and rom’s and not because of guildwars 2, gameplay or anything but because of their person itself.
considering they are super inactive in streaming gw2 and considering all good players are inactive in general – there is absolutly nothing that would make me watch gw2 twitch. I’ll probably watch the finals for a bit but that’s it.

only thing which is more boring than playing dead pvp is watching dead pvp

Grimkram [sS]

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

pvp in this game is kittening dull and boring thats why

and because i dont watch streams at all, its an entertainment for not very bright people

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Watching someone stream GW2 PvP is watching someone AFK in the Heart of the Mists because the queue times are so bad.
Watching a tournament is watching a million particle effects masking everything while 2 people who aren’t particularly knowledgeable about the game shout in my ear.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: lolobum.3082

lolobum.3082

Things which make the game hard to watch in my opinion:
1)Stupid titles under nicknames. It should not exist in pro matches.
2)Too many aoes, fields. You can’t even say by which team they were created.
3)Anet did a great job when they reduced many skill effects. But there is still lots of work to do.
4)Build diversity.
5)One gamemode.
6)Stream quality. Sometimes it’s fine but sometimes you can’t even read the nicknames. This is just not serious.
7)Anet should support new teams and ask pro league players for advice to balance the game.
8)We have the very same maps since launch. No comments.
9)A proper leaderboard system that shows skill is necessary.
10)Probably the biggest problem of the game-everything is just insanely spammy. There is no fighting in the game any more. Press your buttons, follow the rotation->repeat->profit.
11)PASSIVES
12)None of these ^^^ will be changed in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

1) why are you not watching pvp on twitch?

I’m in class at college while it happens. So I can only catch the recording :P

2)how could Anet improve viewer experience?

I’m unsure.

3)What is the most important thing you look for in a pvp srtream?

Also unsure. I guess quality matches? As long as there are little to know DC’s, I figure I’m golden.

4)Do you think that the MM and leaderboard is gating the growth of GW on twitch?

That sounds like a question with a complicated answer, and I’m not sure I can give it.

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

The only way GW2 tournament streams could possibly work would be to just stream the PoV of all 10 players playing, and then have GOOD PLAYERS make commentary on what is being shown.

not this mishmash of trying to show everything, but in effect, showing nothing.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Posted by: Watson.6492

Watson.6492

PvP in this game is boring tbh.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

One major issue I see currently are the new team-colored bars for each team when in spectator mode.

They’re bigger, but visually they’re much harder to follow and are less precise. Colored bars and names blend with each other, it’s hard to notice the Downstate/Necro’s Shroud and it’s really tough to quickly distinguish individual players.
Maybe a feature that would allow to move these bars from the corners to others areas of the screen?

I would really love to be able to see healthbars and names of players over their characters’ heads when spectating. Doesn’t have to be that big, but at least basic info.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in PvP

Posted by: FOX.3582

FOX.3582

1. GW2 sPvP is one giant craphole and the most unfair, unbalanced, unfun and after LoL the most toxic PvP game in history of gaming.

2. In my opinion, watching a game instead of playing it belongs to weird people or people who can’t play because they are physical not possible to play a game.

What does the FOX say¿!

in PvP

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I just can’t tell what’s going on half the time. Trait procs, sigil procs, rune procs, passive procs…and that’s before weapon skill effects.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in PvP

Posted by: Watson.6492

Watson.6492

In all seriousness, though, conditions need to be scaled back to the point of irrelevance. Viewers don’t know/can’t follow what’s happening when instant abilities randomly apply tons of gamebreaking auras that are randomly being stripped and reapplied with impunity by various passive and active abilities. Abilities need to be noticeable, immediate impact/pay off and there needs to be counterplay available. Running around spamming condis with all kinds of passive AIDS and passive counters is terrible.

Basically, the game needs to be redesigned and this is precisely why it failed.

in PvP

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

gw2 is the most boring game to watch for 2 reasons:

Every fight is a simple skill spam of everything you got off cooldown.
No in-depth tactics or strategies like Beast Master jungling in DotA game for example.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Problems with watching gw2 PvP are closer to the fact that it’s just action for ten minutes straight. No chill on at least a medium to larger fight going on.

Gw2 is fun as hell to watch when the fights end rather fast, and the suspense is based around who is engaging, and when.

Skill balance is the big determinant here.

Long fights are serious hype-killers for viewers.

There are some really low hanging fruit type fixes that could immediately make the game much more fun to watch on twitch’

• Visible overhead health bars
  • Slow motion replays at game end. Play of the game, anyone?
Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

(edited by Chaith.8256)

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Why would I watch a game I could be playing?

Plus i’d rather money was spent developing actual content for the game, not wasting it on PvP that no one watches.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Why would I watch a game I could be playing?

Yeah, who would watch twitch when they could be playing those games? Judging by Twitch, tons of people is the answer.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’d rather play GW2 than watch it.

I’d watch LOL matches because they have decent plays and set ups, GW2 offers nothing like that. GW2 has too many passives and no real skill need to play, just run around like you’re in Halo face tanking everything spamming skills to win, which is always fun

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

Why should I look any elitists at play when I can play self?

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

the game is bad, the commentators are uninformed, the viewing system is ABYSMAL, etc etc. you know, things that have been talked about ad naseum for uhhh years.

in PvP

Posted by: Shinobi.3240

Shinobi.3240

In short:

• Boring to watch.
  • Aoe everywhere.
  • Passive Procs and AI
  • Boon and Condition spam.
  • 5v5 Conquest instead of 2v2 or 3v3 Arena.

Best regards!

Shinobi Sicarius [ Thief / Lvl: 80 / PvP Rank: 250+]
[5/8 Champion Titles – Legendary Division] [19k+ AP]
[BEER – Dungeon Riders – Desolation]

in PvP

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

2. how could ANet improve viewer experience?
  3. What is the most imprtant thing you look for in a pvp srtream?
  4. Do you think that the MM and leaderboard is gating the growth of GW on twitch?
  5. ????

discuss

For me

Youtube >>>>>>>> twitch.

2nd its just plainly boring.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF