What keeps you playing?

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I’m curious on what keeps people playing spvp. Its almost been two years now, we still only have one game mode. The competitive scene is pretty much nonexistent. Balance is better, but it’s still nothing to write home about. Same goes for rewards. Leaderboards need a complete revamp, and lastly we still have maps like Skyhammer in Soloq.

So why do you keep playing pvp? Do you still find it fun? Do you still have hope Anet will finally add some pvp content one day?

I’m just curious on what keeps you going.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I play pvp for fun. I enjoy close matches when I get them. Of course it’s in a very bad state right now and there are so many easy but good improvements that can be done to make it way more fun, but that doesn’t change the fact that I still enjoy the pvp now.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Since late March (25th?) I’ve played 4 or 5 pvp matches.

I’ve logged in 5 times since April 15. The last login was the day the PvE content recycle came out, did the meta quickly and vanished.

WvW is still fun (only because of the community, it always has been because of the community), but at this stage all 3 game modes are a sinking ship for veteran players.

I’d log in and keep WvWing.. but knowing there is no future ahead for it let alone SPvP kills any enjoyment.

The real end game of every MMO in existence is PvP modes, not PvE. ANet is trying to be a hipster and failing miserably.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

So why do you keep playing pvp?

if hotjoin, daily casual routine, if i feel like it.

if team arena, daily casual routine with guild members, if they do not have enough for a team of 5, but nowadays they have enough people so i play with myself in hotjoin

Do you still find it fun?

if i get to kill people more often then it is fun.

if i get killed by people more often then it is not so fun.

Do you still have hope Anet will finally add some pvp content one day?

yessssssss. i am a believer.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

Habit i guess.

The game is utterly plagued by passive play to a point i usually leave after a single game.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

I play for rewards. I can level my alts while simultaneously getting cool finishers and titles. I can also take a lot of stuff i learn into WvW when i roam

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

i think i play 2-3 days a week now, gradually decreasing

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Being higher ranked and more leet than almighty grouch, the Anet’s top PvPer is also very motivating and it keeps me playing!

Attachments:

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

The challenge and the combat system.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

booze mostly…

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Hambow being op against people without boonrips.. >.>

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Maylo.5892

Maylo.5892

Friends.

/15 chars

Mr Maylo
Rank #1 Life

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

Procrastination.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I actually enjoy the game…

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

The combat system and the graphics. Everything else is fairly sub-par IMO.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

I hardly log in these days and when I do I just get annoyed at the cheese mode builds that aNet still allows. So I play other things!! I’ll occasionally stick my nose in, but I think I’m more or less done with the game.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

ATM, nothing.

Teamqueue is an useless effort (because having a 5 men team is an effort) and there is no reward at all, no competitive scene, no good rewards ingame.

SoloQueue is worst, totally random in party composition, Skyhammer, mmr doesn’t work with this low population, if you play in top100 is not rare u are matched with people out of ladder and it’s not ammissible.

Reward tracks concept is good but the rewards are the same stuff we had 2 years old, the same stuff you can do in PVE in half of time. No Unique pvp rewards, so basically useless now.

And of course GameMode is always the same, TDM 2vs2 and 3vs3 has a great potential (we can see in the new hotjoin map) but without a new gamemode around it, noone plays it.

Basically i do 3 matches in hotjoin for daily and log out.

New game modes (with only 2or3 people involved for side), seasons and ladder + unique rewards can refresh the entire spvp scene A LOT.

You have the infrastruscture now, let’do it pls.

(edited by MarkPhilips.5169)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

The possibility of a PvP game mode that puts most weight on actual PvP combat skill.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Killing scrubs

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: KumaTazZ.8054

KumaTazZ.8054

Troll ppl with cheese build.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

I cant actually play anymore, find the game so unbelievably boring but the combat system makes all other mmos feel terrible so I just play cs go now :/

But before that I really liked solo queueing with unload thief and tpvping with pugs

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Combat mechanics vs other players (because pve AI is contrived and stupid). Simple as that.

I love the flow in fighting and stomping.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Paddy.3985

Paddy.3985

Honestly, I don’t know… troll people maybe? I do play less and less all the time but really I ought to just deuce. Habit maybe?

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

What do you guys think about Wildstar?

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Habit I guess, I take long brakes from time to time.
With every patch all of things get improved but alot of stuff gets worse or simply more notoriously worse. (I hope that makes sense)

About wildsater… It’s horrible. Gw2 is better believe it or not…

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

trying to be the best in the game.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Paddy.3985

Paddy.3985

Yea, about Wildstar…………..lol no.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Avitori.6093

Avitori.6093

Playing with friends, I also still have hope that Arenanet will improve pvp in the future as you see small glimmers of hope every now and then like the feature patch and the tournament of legends. I also sort of get attached to the games I play, but every patch Anet ignores us pvpers I find myself playing less and less (and having less fun to boot). This is also the only MMO where I like the PvP combat system, even if it isn’t balanced. I just can’t get back into games like Call of Duty or League of Legends anymore, and Wildstar…I played that game for literally 30 seconds before I said “nope”. Not that many multiplayer games appeal to me.

The fact that there’s no subscription fee helps too.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Rubik.7192

Rubik.7192

the esphats #roadtoPAX #MLG #swag

Curie.
“I’m so hard right now” – Ozie, in solo queue.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

What do you guys think about Wildstar?

In PVP it has one major thing over GW2; options. More gamemodes and worldpvp. The combat itself isnt as fluid tho and the telegraphs are a bit of a visual overload, esp in larger scale fights. Its hard to read telegraphs (in pvp) if the entire floor is covered in differed shades of red.

I think wildstar is a lot better as PvE game than GW2 is or ever will be. Carbines dungeon design team did a hell of a job creating some of the best PvE content ive experienced. Its challenging (enough) and purely build around creating difficulty through mechanics.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

First and most important I play because of the friends. Never believed I could become so close with people who I know only online. Now we play together for months, every evening after school/ work and I never had so much fun in this game before.

Second, decided to make a Legendary. Now when you can have almost everything needed for a Legendary only playing PvP I started my Big Bifrost Project and the only thing I still need is a precursor. So I play also for the rewards and pray every time a open a box.

Third, I play for the challenge. I wonder how good I can become without being a nolifer and playing on a laptop, using a touch-pad.

And yeah, I still enjoy PvP. I play it for 8 months now and I haven’t got bored yet.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Seems like most people have the same reasons. Friends and the combat, which is understandable. These things kept me going for sometime too. I personally haven’t played pvp in a couple of weeks now, and I honestly don’t really miss it. As for Wildstar, it’s a solid game. It takes a different approach then GW2. None the less it’s decent mmo, and I look forward to playing more of it.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Influx of pve players with legendaries in pvp – always hillarious to fight them. But gets boring fast, so don’t play often, once a week mostly.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

skyhammer obviously

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

i love it becouse its fun coming across ssome really good players.makes for a great challenge makes you a better player and of corse its fun watching ppl that have no idea how to use there class

master jedi david

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Shanos.2459

Shanos.2459

I’ve logged in 5 times since April 15. The last login was the day the PvE content recycle came out, did the meta quickly and vanished.

WvW is still fun (only because of the community, it always has been because of the community), but at this stage all 3 game modes are a sinking ship for veteran players.

I’d log in and keep WvWing.. but knowing there is no future ahead for it let alone SPvP kills any enjoyment.

The real end game of every MMO in existence is PvP modes, not PvE. ANet is trying to be a hipster and failing miserably.

This.
I played WoW and after I completed the Pve I went to PvP where I stayed till I quit.
I played runes of Magic back in the day and about half way through the Pve I found out that “Seals” a cash shop item that was needed to prevent gear droping on player kills was only obtainable in the cash shop. game was uninstalled in 30 seconds.
I played Lotr ftp and about an hout or two in I found out that PvP was locked unless you upgraded your acount. game was uninstalled in 30 seconds.
after you wrap Pve Theres no reason to go back pvp is end game.

(edited by Shanos.2459)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

skyhammer is what keeps me going. So fun trolling people and/or watching them QQ.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: ricky.2679

ricky.2679

Sadomasochism, Habitual, Inferiority Complex, Bipolar disorder, Autism, Aspergers syndrome, Paranoid Schizophrenia, Social Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive disorder, Antisocial personality, Adjustment disorder, Agoraphobia, Avoidant personality disorder, Borderline personality disorder, Depersonalisation disorder, Major depression, Impulse control disorder, Insomnia, Intermittent explosive disorder, Narcissistic personality disorder, Pathological gambling and Intellectual Disability. I think that covers them all.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

I think those of us who have played since launch have long since given up any hope of substantial PvP development, and just putter around casually with friends because the combat system is so good. As for a proper PvP infrastructure with ladders and long-term incentive, if it hasn’t come thus far, it’s unlikely to ever see the light of day. If anyone is interested in a semi-masochistic trip down the memory lane of failed aspirations, check one of Grouch’s early State of the Game shows from December 2012. It’s humbling stuff:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/videos/view-2953-state-of-the-game-discussion-with-arenanet-developer-jonathan-sharp-december-2012/

At about 24:40 Chaplan starts talking about the PvP development roadmap. Oh boy.

Also,

skyhammer obviously

Nicely played, sir. Nicely played.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

the amount of people that get added to my block list because i don’t want to listen to their “not as superior as they think” talk. I mean please, go act superior somewhere else. its just a game

solo cheese engi/ex teef

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

Also

Can someone give this guy and award for the “most truthful statement” ever made

solo cheese engi/ex teef

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

Nothing – I barely play anymore after being probably one of the most active PvPers over the last 6 months.

If you are still playing because you hope things will get better, I want to give you some advice and that is it won’t get better and if it does, it will only be very slightly – You are being led on by ArenaNet.

ArenaNet hoped the ‘Feature Patch’ would do amazing things for sPvP and I don’t think anyone can deny that it destroyed SoloQ and did nothing for TeamQ.

Anyway – I will probably continue to play casually but I can’t imagine myself being here in 3 months.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Jinx.7258

Jinx.7258

Women

1,000 of them/chars

#VoTF4Life

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

I play because it is pure fun to play this game. I love PVP, I love the style, the community, the competition, the balance.

This game is awesome. Unfortunately I have only limited time. But I every minute I can spend in PVP is fun for me.

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Regardless of what people say I find this game fun. I love the combat system and playing lots of different classes with different builds is very enjoyable.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Lotus.1682

Lotus.1682

Reward tracks.
./end sarcasm

Seriously though. I play PvP because it is pretty much the only non-static aspect of Guild Wars 2 right now. WvW is too zergy for me (not to mention my computer can’t really handle it) and PvE is well PvE. Regardless of the Hambows and the 4v5’s and the afkers and skyhammer, at least every match offers me some new opportunities to test my skill. xD

Twistedlotus <Thief> xD
Isle of Janthir

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I play sPvP because Mesmer is my favorite class of any game ever.

I play it because I love the combat system, I’ve made some really awesome friends here, and I spend a lot of my time teaching newer players (which oddly keeps the game fresh).

But also because I don’t limit myself to one build or spec or use the excuse of “I’m not running a meta build so I’m gonna lose” to limit how much I explore the classes I play. I don’t play meta builds often or fold under the pressure of someone else wanting me to play a certain build because I’m confident enough in my own ability to know that I can make almost any build I create work effectively. I don’t play at top levels for this reason though, because by nature of competition the higher you get to the top the less room there is for diversity and openmindness.

(Oh, and I don’t spend like 4 hours a day on the game.. that kinda helps with the freshness =P)

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Surreal.5243

Surreal.5243

The combat system!

Other games just suck compared to gw2’s… i mean theyre better at most other things but combat system is rly important to me. After playing gw2 other games feel so strange when it comes to movement and stuff.
But nowadays i just play for fun since its not worth putting effort in smt that doesnt reward you and therefore its also allmost impossible to find/form a decent team because every good players thinks like this.

Read it Backwards [BooN]

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: Sinister.5792

Sinister.5792

going in close, afk, free 300 points for reward tracks

free tome of knowledge

so much GG

oh i forgot

12 silvers

ez farm goldz

if you care about pvp, i feel sorry for you.

I kill 2 birds with over 9000 stones

What keeps you playing?

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

going in close, afk, free 300 points for reward tracks

free tome of knowledge

so much GG

oh i forgot

12 silvers

ez farm goldz

if you care about pvp, i feel sorry for you.

Wow, they really made it that much easy for PvE’ers to do PvP stuff.
67 games of losing will rank you up from 40 to 41 continuously to 80. So say if one of those PvE botters wanted dragon rank, they’d get 206 games in a day considering if they averaged 7 min games. They’d have to LOSE 5360 games to make it to that rank…

It would only take someone 27 days of LOSING nonstop to become a rank 80 in PvP and have the dragon finisher.