Why is there still no dueling?

in PvP

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Please don’t waste the time on this devs. I know some people want this, but there are so many things in the game that actually need fixing/attention long before something else is added that, I believe, a small percentage of people want. We already have pvp areas that are great for fighting each other.

in PvP

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Please don’t waste the time on this devs. I know some people want this, but there are so many things in the game that actually need fixing/attention long before something else is added that, I believe, a small percentage of people want. We already have pvp areas that are great for fighting each other.

^
Please don’t listen to this man. All of us have subjective opinions. I personally love dueling and I find it a much needed feature. And no, custom arenas do not work unless you’re able to waste lots of cash monthly to keep it open.
It is of course not for me to decide where the time should be put, but I find statements such as “don’t waste your time” to be insulting, because the person is using this just because he/she personally dislikes that particular feature.

in PvP

cranked.3812

^
Please don’t listen to this man. All of us have subjective opinions. I personally love dueling and I find it a much needed feature. And no, custom arenas do not work unless you’re able to waste lots of cash monthly to keep it open.
It is of course not for me to decide where the time should be put, but I find statements such as “don’t waste your time” to be insulting, because the person is using this just because he/she personally dislikes that particular feature.

You are absolutely right. I wouldn’t use the feature, but that’s not the reason I say to not waste time on it right now.

This game is riddled with bugs still, there are 100’s of QoL things that could be added and dungeons haven’t been really touched in a year. That’s a few reasons why this shouldn’t be added before any of that stuff. I know some people will want this feature, I get that, but the other stuff I mentioned will be used by a FAR greater percentage of the player base.

in PvP

Mirta.5029

That’s a few reasons why this shouldn’t be added before any of that stuff. I know some people will want this feature, I get that, but the other stuff I mentioned will be used by a FAR greater percentage of the player base.

Do you have the numbers somewhere? Because when I last checked both WvW and Spvp players actually are quite upset that their parts of the game get updated far less.

Though I wouldn’t mind a new dungeon as well.

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

it does seem strange that WvW players have actually no way to practice against each other

in PvP

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I personally would only not complain as long as try give us an option to auto decline and not have to see the pop up

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

And dueling is one of those important things. Which a large majority want.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

cranked.3812

That’s a few reasons why this shouldn’t be added before any of that stuff. I know some people will want this feature, I get that, but the other stuff I mentioned will be used by a FAR greater percentage of the player base.

Do you have the numbers somewhere? Because when I last checked both WvW and Spvp players actually are quite upset that their parts of the game get updated far less.

Though I wouldn’t mind a new dungeon as well.

Do you even read what I wrote? I said those are SOME of the things that could be done before dueling is added.

And you are making my point for me by bringing that other stuff up anyway, so not sure what to make of your posts.

in PvP

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Here you go a dev post from one week ago:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3804703

Simplest answer I can give is that it just isn’t as high a priority as other things we have been working on.

Why do you feel custom arenas do not work for those that want to duel?

And this is a dev post saying he is reconsidering the priority.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3805002

Just quoting what he said regarding the priority of dueling. Also he didn’t say he would reconsider. He asked if people thought it should be higher priority than other changes. From your link:

You guys are making some really good points, thanks.

Do you guys think this should be a higher priority than other changes? Why?

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

in PvP

cranked.3812

Really? So, your telling me a majority of the player base wants dueling? Please enlighten me with your evidence.

I can’t say one way or the other because I have no evidence as well, but my suspicions are that the majority would rather see QoL, TP, wvw, pvp, dungeon updates long before dueling.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

^

You are absolutely right. I wouldn’t use the feature, but that’s not the reason I say to not waste time on it right now.

This game is riddled with bugs still, there are 100’s of QoL things that could be added and dungeons haven’t been really touched in a year. That’s a few reasons why this shouldn’t be added before any of that stuff. I know some people will want this feature, I get that, but the other stuff I mentioned will be used by a FAR greater percentage of the player base.

A far greater percentage of the player base will use Dueling than small QoL that no one cares. Who cares about stack warriors dungeon 2? A small minority does maybe.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Really? So, your telling me a majority of the player base wants dueling? Please enlighten me with your evidence.

I can’t say one way or the other because I have no evidence as well, but my suspicions are that the majority would rather see QoL, TP, wvw, pvp, dungeon updates long before dueling.

The playerbase wants dueling because there is a large number of threads about them and there are multiple videos about dueling.

I guess your evidence is because you say so.

in PvP

cranked.3812

^

A far greater percentage of the player base will use Dueling than small QoL that no one cares. Who cares about stack warriors dungeon 2? A small minority does maybe.

Well, if we go by the forums, I would say a large majority of people would use QoL stuff as that’s what 90% of the threads that are created are about.

Not sure what you mean by “stack warrior dungeon 2”.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3804703

Simplest answer I can give is that it just isn’t as high a priority as other things we have been working on.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3805002

Just quoting what he said regarding the priority of dueling. Also he didn’t say he would reconsider. He asked if people thought it should be higher priority than other changes. From your link:

Oh right, he didn’t say he will reconsider. He is reconsidering.

in PvP

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I personally would only not complain as long as try give us an option to auto decline and not have to see the pop up

Still wouldn’t stop harassment from griefers.

I really don’t want to have to “auto decline” AND “block” just so I can continue on the way I already am. Open world dueling really does seem to run contrary to the entire open world cooperation on top of that.

in PvP

cranked.3812

The playerbase wants dueling because there is a large number of threads about them and there are multiple videos about dueling.

You need to learn to read. I said my evidence is the same as yours, nothing. It is my speculation on the matter. But, if you want to talk about the number of topics created about dueling vs. the number of topics created about QoL issues, you would lose by a large margin.

in PvP

Mirta.5029

I really don’t want to have to “auto decline” AND “block” just so I can continue on the way I already am. Open world dueling really does seem to run contrary to the entire open world cooperation on top of that.

You know how you can choose to completely ignore player music instruments in the options menu? The same would probably be done there. You wouldn’t need to auto decline or block anything.
Plus it could always be done like fighting with costumes on. Players would have to toggle specific items to duel.

in PvP

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Oh right, he didn’t say he will reconsider. He is reconsidering.

What in this says he is reconsidering?

He stated there are some good points and then asked why you think it should be a priority, not “I’m reconsidering this convince me.” Not to mention the fact that he left the thread after asking such without responding,. That might speak to some degree that he wasn’t convinced to reconsider the priority.

Anyway, I’m sick of these dueling threads. People seem to treat them like PvP forum mode. You all can argue your teeth out and it probably won’t make a difference because it has been hashed over 100s of times. It is a waste of time.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

in PvP

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

Not in pve maps

in PvP

runeblade.7514

You need to learn to read. I said my evidence is the same as yours, nothing. It is my speculation on the matter. But, if you want to talk about the number of topics created about dueling vs. the number of topics created about QoL issues, you would lose by a large margin.

Combined? maybe.

Separate- Each and everyone of those would lose. Unless competing against mounts, perhap.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

So you rather stop a feature being implemented because you are too selfish to circumvent that?

Okay, lets remove gold because I don’t want some gold spammer whispering me.

in PvP

cranked.3812

Combined? maybe.

Separate- Each and everyone of those would lose. Unless competing against mounts, perhap.

It’s funny your accusing me of not having any evidence and that I am right because I say so, but the reality is neither one of us really knows how many people want or would benefit from dueling being added to the game.

I think you really want dueling so bad that you are blinded by what goes on and is requested day to day in the forums.

I’m starting to see what Trogdor is saying is true, and on that note, I am out of here.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Not in pve maps

Why do you think so?

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Combined? maybe.

It’s funny your accusing me of not having any evidence and that I am right because I say so, but *the reality is neither one of us really knows how many people want or would benefit from dueling being added to the game. *

I think you really want dueling so bad that you are blinded by what goes on and is requested day to day in the forums.

I’m starting to see what Trogdor is saying is true, and on that note, I am out of here.

You finally gotten to the point.

Don’t ever say what the people want ever again.

in PvP

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You still have provided no proof that a “large majority” want dueling.

Please provide the following:
-The number of people who play Guild Wars 2
-the number of people who want dueling

Along with citation for both sources of information.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in PvP

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Guild Wars 2 should’ve been released mid-2014. There’s so much stuff that they have yet to fix and add, and there’s such a lack of polish.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Funny thing I’ll say is this. Anet is trying to bring PVE and PVP together, taking down walls between these two, so it would make sense to duel in PVE if this was their intention. Dueling would also help roamers in WvW, to sharpen skills in fighting solo. I’ve always wanted to duel some of my guildmates as well but the last time we did this in a custom arena was like last year. it’s a hassle, certain traits are nerfed pretty hard. limited stat spread, and, limited runes, limited choices, having to go through multiple loading screens, and fighting in the same maps over and over again makes it a bit dull(which is why dueling in PVE would make fights refreshing.)

1v1s are skill based because timing dodges, knowing when to cleanse conditions, when to step out of AoE or reading animations against a enemy that isn’t scripted AI, it requires skill, decision making on if it’s worth it to do action A or action B. It requires you to adapt and to decide the best course of action.

Though the solution i could see to this is having it be a guild feature, so you can make a duel specific guild and you’ll be able to only duel with those in the guild this way you can make duel events in PVE, without the PVERs being spammed with invites or duel me bro fears. What flaw can you see in a feature like this if you implant this way? This would surely build up a good community as well and might interest players to try pvp out.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

in PvP

Posted by: Cylokin.2560

Cylokin.2560

Another vote for implementing dueling in PvE environment, waiting for it from release!

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

For: For the most part it would just be fun. And you can try things with friends without having to find a room where people will leave you alone.

Against: is much less appealing with hard counters.

Development: popular duelling areas and standardized honor system like rules between players could assist in map design and perhaps be informative to how future skills are developed.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

I love Dueling and it shoud be in this game from start … its like cool content while u sit in divinity reach to duel friends ITS so fun in WoW it !!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

If dueling is added to the game it should be added as an aspect of PvP, NOT PvE! The PvE environment was set up to be inherently cooperative. Even without that being the case, a dueling system will be heavily abused. And I’m sorry, but simply adding an option to auto-refuse duel requests isn’t enough. It won’t stop the endless flow of “DUEL ME!” message spam, and the block list is only so long. So make it an aspect of PvP, or create a new aspect for it, but keep it OUT OF PvE!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

in PvP

Mirta.5029

If dueling is added to the game it should be added as an aspect of PvP, NOT PvE! The PvE environment was set up to be inherently cooperative. Even without that being the case, a dueling system will be heavily abused. And I’m sorry, but simply adding an option to auto-refuse duel requests isn’t enough. It won’t stop the endless flow of “DUEL ME!” message spam, and the block list is only so long.

because you’re getting that now with all the people doing costume duels right? It’s pretty much in the game, just in a slightly different form.

in PvP

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

How would you handle different levels, different tiers of armors (ascended/exotic/masterwork/etc), and excessive challenge requests/dueling abuse?

What areas of the game should dueling NOT be allowed on? WvW, sPvP lobby, dungeons?

Should dueling be gated behind a certain level? As in the participants should be at least level 30 and have an elite skill and all weapon skills unlocked before dueling? It’s easy enough as is since just equipping a weapon at level 30 should unlock all of the skills on that weapon except the 5th. If not, then are you okay with ascended level 80’s berating and instigating level 20 players who don’t have an elite skill yet?

in PvP

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

So you rather stop a feature being implemented because you are too selfish to circumvent that?

Okay, lets remove gold because I don’t want some gold spammer whispering me.

I’m not inherently against dueling. But I have generally found that open world dueling tends to bring out some very toxic attitudes that I’m not sure this game needs in the open world setting. And no, I really don’t feel interested in doing extra work to avoid those attitudes when I currently don’t have to.

A specific dueling arena in LA or Black Citadel… I’d be more receptive to that.

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No to open world dueling for all the reasons stated in every previous thread.

in PvP

Posted by: Gerolux.5978

Gerolux.5978

This game isnt balanced for dueling, and soon as devs add dueling… there will be thread/s stating how X class/es is/are OP and they need to be nerfed. This is true regardless of which game that has dueling. People crying about 1v1 balance(and the devs stating the game isnt balanced around 1v1) but people will still fight to get balance. This is a can o’ worms the devs just arent ready to fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I just may get flamed for bringing up GW1 and Guild Halls, but here goes….

Guild Halls had the very cool feature that you could invite anyone to them and create a battle, whether 1v1, or whatever, up to the max party size. The idea was that you could practice your GvG skills in your hall and test PvP builds. If you wanted to duel someone who wasn’t in your guild, you just invited them to guest in your Hall and you were all set. Perhaps the devs might want to consign dueling to the shelf that holds Guild Halls, and make it a function of that. That way, we can all avoid that person or persons that flame people who decline the invitation to duel.

in PvP

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

You know how you can choose to completely ignore player music instruments in the options menu? The same would probably be done there. You wouldn’t need to auto decline or block anything.
Plus it could always be done like fighting with costumes on. Players would have to toggle specific items to duel.

…and then they whisper you to turn your toggle off.
seriously….there is no need for open world duels…..unless you want to be an kitten and harrass people.

put dueling in a free arena in one (or all) of the major cities. problem solved. everyone wins.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

What makes people think i want to duel with spvp crap on? Heck no. It’s boring as crap trying to duel in the arenas, why would i want it there…i don’t. It’s team based with team builds, absolutely useless outside of that demograph, as balanced there is not “balanced” outside of the scope..hold point = win. It is completely silly to think custom arenas were ever the answer, as only 1 of 3 modes of game play even use their set stats. And even mentioning the silly boxing matches with various npc skins is just /facepalm worthy.

It should be open world as was suggested so people can have fun waiting, goofing off or just general fun. I also like the idea someone mentioned that it is by default off, and when you turn it on, the portrait changes to show you are willing to except duels. If you don’t have it on you are never worse for the wiser as you can’t even be asked, no annoying popups, nothing. TADA everyone’s happy.

Bottom line: it should be open world, it should be with whatever gear you have in PvE, it should be toggle-able (you either get popups or you dont). No muss no fuss, no affect on those that dont like it, and those that do can have a ball where ever their journeys take them.

in PvP

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

No, please, a thousand times no or at least lock the duelists away so I don’t have to look at them. The bunny hopping kittens letting off their skills in the middle of town now is bad enough to fray my nerves, I can’t imagine how much worse it would be if they were able to fight each other.

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I believe that the focus of the PvP team should be on broadening the appeal of sPvP by introducing new modes, and other means to enliven the existing PvP. I don’t see dueling as an sPvP feature. For one thing, most requests for the feature call for it in PvE areas. For another, there is a way to 1v1 in sPvP while there isn’t in PvE.

As far as PvE mode dueling, I’d be in favor of it with the following strictures:

• Dueling can take place anywhere in the persistent world, and in selected places in cities (like the arena in the Black Citadel).
  • An option to Allow Duel Requests in the options menu; default is off, if you turn it on, you can receive duel requests. If you leave it off, they are blocked.

in PvP

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As someone who:

• Is not opposed to dueling in the game, with auto-decline as the default in the options menu, circumvented via turning “Accept Duel Requests” on
  • Would be unlikely to use a dueling feature if one were implemented

I would like to say that pro-dueling posters who call others selfish (or are otherwise insulting) for having a preference are doing nothing for their position except to cement the opinions of those set against the feature.

in PvP

Posted by: kellenburger.9245

kellenburger.9245

dude duel me. DUDE duel Meh!
dude. dude.
dude dual MEEEE11!!
Hey look everybody DUDE is chicken and wont duel me!
I bet 5 million gold and he still wont duel me.
dude duel me.
dude.

in PvP

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

So I was talking with a friend earlier this morning after a CoE run. Bouncing around the camp West of the dungeon, we spoke of a topic that keeps appearing in many of my chats with fellow gamers. So as to cut to the chase, Dear Anet could you please put a /duel function into the game!!? It is one of the major things I find lacking in Gw2, you have so many beautiful zones and I personally feel for one it would be fun to kick the crap out of a friend in said zones. Going to Spvp is just not the same. If you guys could please put dueling into the game I’m sure many players would be grateful, thank you =-)

That is really interesting because in all the time I have played since betas I have never had a conversation in game about dueling.

I have also never had the urge to kick the crap out of a friend.

But here every week- really OP you had to make yet another thread?

Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

The “against duels” arguments are weak at best:
1. I don’t want effect spam somewhere where I can see it, because it frays my nerves : (
2. I don’t want people to challenge me, because pressing decline is hard.
3. Dueling creates toxic players, don’t let this game become toxic, because toxic, toxic…
4. There already is a possibility to duel, all you need is to spend actual money, buy a custom arena, go to arena, wait for someone to come, offer him a duel, find him on the map, hope no one else joins your server while you are dueling and interrupts it. If this system is perfect, I suggest doing something similar to lets say dungeons, or just mob grinding in general. Rent a mob with gems, find him on a map, hope noone steals the kill, kill him, get XP, rent it again in a couple of weeks, since he expired.

in PvP

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

I absolutely do NOT want open world dueling. It inevitably leads to harassment and I don’t want to deal with that nonsense. If changes need to be made to PvP arenas to satisfy those who want dueling, then PLEASE do that instead of open world dueling.

in PvP

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

No dueling in PVE zones. No thanks. Never.

You want to duel? Go to PvP arenas and duel your heart out. That is what that area is for.

If you don’t like the way dueling works in PvP arenas, then request changes to that part of the game. Don’t bring that crap to PVE.

in PvP

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

dude duel me. DUDE duel Meh!
dude. dude.
dude dual MEEEE11!!
Hey look everybody DUDE is chicken and wont duel me!
I bet 5 million gold and he still wont duel me.
dude duel me.
dude.

theres an option where you can ignore the player who have this kind of behavior.

in PvP

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

You want to duel? Go to PvP arenas and duel your heart out. That is what that area is for.

If you don’t like the way dueling works in PvP arenas, then request changes to that part of the game. Don’t bring that crap to PVE.

You do realise that Duels dont affect Pve right? Tho, duelling was a part of waiting for long queues (Raids and Dungeons) in past mmo’s and training even when someone would teach you some moves when they know more than you the class you’re playing (even for pve bosses fight), your hate against duelling jsut delay your pve experience in a sense of boredon.

Ppl asking for the denial of such features that would benefit all kinds of players and not only for those who are found of pvp is just going backwards in time.

When you ask for devs (please no this, and no that) know this, you are denying a part of the game that would bring something for you, in a case or another when you least could expect.

Say no to content (even pvp when you dont like) = enjoying your empty world. (just see as the current state of the game is).

just a tip.

(edited by pupi.2465)

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.4051

Supreme.4051

You do realise that Duels dont affect Pve right? Tho, duelling was a part of waiting for long queues (Raids and Dungeons) in past mmo’s and training even when someone would teach you some moves when they know more than you the class you’re playing (even for pve bosses fight), your hate against duelling jsut delay your pve experience in a sense of boredon.

Ppl asking for the denial of such features that would benefit all kinds of players and not only for those who are found of pvp is just going backwards in time.

When you ask for devs (please no this, and no that) know this, you are denying a part of the game that would bring something for you, in a case of another when you least could expect.

Say no to content (even pvp when you dont like) = enjoying your empty world. (just see as the current state of the game is).

just a tip.

I’d rather walk around in an empty world with a few friends/guildies than getting swarmed by thieves spamming duel.

In terms of priority I’d like to see some improvements to pvp first before they spend precious time on implementing dueling.