11/23 - TC, FA & YB

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Reiven.2543

Reiven.2543

This week has made it obvious, we simply do not have the population necessary to compete at this tier.

Yet during last week’s match up against the same teams we were able to get second place? We certainly do have the population to play this tier but i imagine a lot of our server stopped playing this round due to the beating we took two days ago.

All the servers have pretty close numbers to the point where it is nowhere near as much of a problem as it has been in other past matchups. What is obvious is we do not have the strategy to compete at this tier.

Seriously though we should stop making bad excuses like 2v1 and start looking at what we can improve on. I know it’s probably just a minority of the server but everytime i see an additional person using the 2v1 excuse it makes me start to doubt how long they are going to be a minority for.

Fort Aspenwood GW1 Bittervet….
Reiven Kloak-Warrior / Pizza Pirate-Engineer
Charr Grilled Fish-Ranger

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Karykarywook.2481

Karykarywook.2481

I think we (FA) were able to hold onto second place last week due to having 3 (4?) days with the lead, so that gave us a bit of a cushion to hold onto something. The 2v1 (even if UNintentional) didn’t happen until a few days in, whereas it has been happening from the beginning with this game, and we were only in first place for about 3/4 of a day.

And there is some merit here to being stretched too thin right now, and thats apart of the strategy from the opponent. Although I do agree FA could do better in defending, its also quite difficult because we need numbers EVERYWHERE, and standing around seems extra unproductive in this situation, especially if the only people that can be spared to stay is one or two people. With a not-very-well fortified keep, 1 or 2 people can’t do jack squat except call out incoming.

I get dizzy sometimes with the calls for back-up/help because its simply needed more often than usual.

KaryKarwook of Team Sarcasm – Fort Aspenwood
Representing RET in WvW

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Soba.3041

Soba.3041

I prefer a match like this 100 times more than one where FA is just wiping out their opponents. I don’t have a problem with losing the points game as long as we are competitive in the fights.

As for defensive coverage, we need to look at it as zone based(east and west). You really only need 1 guy in a tower or keep to let the server know when it is being attacked for sure, where and roughly how many. That person then would call in the force responsible for defending that side of the map.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Unfortunately.5940

Unfortunately.5940

It IS a population issue and more specifically a coverage issue. During NA primetime we can field as many as the other 2 and more if we’re doing well. But in this matchup and the last ive been seeing us lose everything by around 3am server time (early morning for me in europe), when both the other servers can field significantly larger numbers than we can. This to the point where specifically TC can have a 20 man group taking and securing supply camps with another equally large or larger group assaulting everything. When we have around 15 people on the entire map it’s only a matter of time before we lose everything and even more so if we’re trying to defend against both servers, even if it’s all fully upgraded.
As for how we did last week, I attribute that mostly to people that pulled all-nighters during the first days of the matchup and the effect of doing well on casual wvw’ers.

Differently/Sixtysix Sixes – Fort Aspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

From my perspective it’s more of a coordination issue than a population issue. Well timed tactics and clearly defined goals will trump a zerg every time. If you don’t have enough people to fight the zerg, stay away from it. Last night I took PD and KGB into TC borderlands with the goal of taking Bluevale, Bluebriar and knocking a hole into Dreaming Bay so we could take some pressure off of the other borderlands. We played from 6pm CST until 10pm CST and we accomplished our goals. BT came in at the end and helped us take Dreaming Bay. It was with guild coordination that we accomplished it, not whining about double teaming or buckling under pressure.

I am on every night at about the same time and will work with any guild that is willing to put egos aside and work towards a common goal. Sometimes the small victories will make a huge difference in the war.

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

Well it is 6:02 am and I am going to look like kitten today…

That FA garrison defense was insane, we had to evoke our Golem Gods but it was totally worth it.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Erinshaw.8035

Erinshaw.8035

I would say to FA you are very worthy opponents. TC can sure give us a run for their money thats for sure. I think the difference between us is TC have the numbers for longer. FA have the numbers but dont defend. Yaks never say die attitutde completes the trio. If i were a commander on FA i would be proud of what I had done this week but be upset by the negative comments above about my server negativity breeds even more negativity. If I was a commander of TC i would be breathing very hard knowing that their 2 opponents are still breathing down my neck——How much sleep do i need and how long can I keep this up. not sure if I can afford to have a night off.!!!! I am one of the proud commanders of Yaks a proud and loyal server that despite the numbers at times never quits. I die alot I get plenty of badges There is never a victory only another battle to win or loose YAK ATTACK/DEFEND and if it is red kill it. Except for the Opponent we had a dance with at the yaks ruins last night. Kudos to you despite a pug beating on you sry for that. I salute you.

The Older Gamers (TOG) wvw guild leader

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Karykarywook.2481

Karykarywook.2481

Again, I want to re-iterate – this negativity you’re seeing on the forums from FA does not carry to in-game. Our FA commanders have a lot to be proud of. Very very little complaining and bickering happens in chat. If someone starts complaining/trolling, they quickly are put on ignore by many.

And also again, people pointing out we don’t defend – we have much more to defend than the other two servers right now, pure and simple. Its easy to have adequate offensive and defensive numbers when your opponent is current fighting off two enemies at that moment.

KaryKarwook of Team Sarcasm – Fort Aspenwood
Representing RET in WvW

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Maniac.5163

Maniac.5163

Regarding comments about a lack of strategy or defensive ability. YB and TC know we can hold a tower & keep against the odds, there’s no possible way they can deny that. After the EB keep hold against both servers last Friday, we held FA Garrison for hours tonight against golems, catas, trebs and a massive force of TC with the outmanned buff for almost the entire time.

[Pro] and [PiNK] eventually marched 4 omegas and 4-5 alphas in with a small army while we were attempting to sweep and repair up after pushing their forces out from the breached eastern wall and both breached water gates. During the siege on our garrison, Yak’s Bend saw opportunity and took Briar and Bay from TC without a fight, then moved to EB and took SMC from them also. We wiped our borderlands blue with a 10-15 man crew after TC either got bored or realised how much territory they had sacrificed for our garrison and withdrew the majority of their forces.

As for the sweeping statements about the integrity and behaviour of players on FA, just keep in mind you may not be doing a good thing for your own reputation by not only judging a server by a few forum posts but also stooping lower to persistently incite more hostilities on here. I have a healthy respect for any worthy opponents and I know that there are players from TC & YB that are the same. We don’t have to be best friends, just try to show some maturity or don’t comment at all.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Setima.8741

Setima.8741

Also just to throw it out there, other games have now come out that have taken players away from Guild Wars 2 and so server numbers have gone down a bit. Frustrations with culling and recent nerf/buff rollercoasters started some fires and upset more players who of course quit. Not to mention the uproar of upset players over Ascended gear treadmills pushing even more players away with no ETA on when all that yummy new gear will come to WvW. Again, the game is starting to lose it’s interesting qualities and little things are starting to nag on people more and more.

I know the “true” players will stick around for awhile, but at some point there just won’t be enough players on enough servers to keep WvW interesting enough. I mean over half of the people I knew on FA quit and went to Planetside 2, WoW or Tanks just out of being bored. It’s not doomsday yet of course, but I’m seeing a big decline of interest around the game more and more these days.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

This week has made it obvious, we simply do not have the population necessary to compete at this tier.

Are you kidding? Yak’s has the least population out of all 3 servers and the smallest off-peak population as well. As a matter of fact, Yak’s is playing with ~400 PvP’ers less than last week. But we never give up.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

(edited by Xavi.6591)

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Are you kidding? Yak’s has the least population out of all 3 servers and the smallest off-peak population as well. As a matter of fact, Yak’s is playing with ~400 PvP’ers less than last week. But we never give up.

Where do you find numbers like that? I’d love to have more statistics about WvWvW, but I haven’t seen anything anywhere.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.5024

Chris.5024

Where do you find numbers like that? I’d love to have more statistics about WvWvW, but I haven’t seen anything anywhere.

This would be a really cool tool to have. Any info on where to find it would be appreciated!

Malose
Black Talons Gaming [BT]
Maguuma

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yeah i like having fun but being zerged by 40 and hunted down till the last keep is gone oh well congrats tc eventually our server will be completely outmanned as everyone quits and hopes for a new match up.i like wvsw but like this its unplayable.sry and i know ill get a bunch of oh stop whining comments well whatever.

Well I have to somewhat agree, its not fun when one server is so overwhelmingly present in wvsw against barely anyone else. It really does make people who are only half interested in it go “well screw this!” when you get just hammered over and over and over. Having a zerg of over 40 or so it seemed against 6 people is a bit dis-heartening at any time though.

Not really anything you can do about it though, even if in the “spirit” of it its very unsportsmanlike in the end, a win is a win is a win….even if it was the same as a 200 pd 6 foot tall man beating up on a 3 yr old.

yeah i know what u mean.im just worried that the not so regular players will stay away as i’ve seen it before. im sure al lot of guilds will still play like ours but i’ve seen a big change in numbers tonight and yes we held off quite well but a lot off people logged out after being demoralized.
and btw when we had a very weak server against us we wouldnt even touch it till the end and and believe me wvsw was boring when we owned the entire map. we actually started brawilg with the enemy and sitting together at campfires. no we dont troll them we wanna have fun thats all.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: sceptus.9415

sceptus.9415

Also just to throw it out there, other games have now come out that have taken players away from Guild Wars 2 and so server numbers have gone down a bit. Frustrations with culling and recent nerf/buff rollercoasters started some fires and upset more players who of course quit. Not to mention the uproar of upset players over Ascended gear treadmills pushing even more players away with no ETA on when all that yummy new gear will come to WvW. Again, the game is starting to lose it’s interesting qualities and little things are starting to nag on people more and more.

I know the “true” players will stick around for awhile, but at some point there just won’t be enough players on enough servers to keep WvW interesting enough. I mean over half of the people I knew on FA quit and went to Planetside 2, WoW or Tanks just out of being bored. It’s not doomsday yet of course, but I’m seeing a big decline of interest around the game more and more these days.

Hello my friend. I’m a true player, but I’m also an unhappy customer right now. The only thing keeping me in this game is the great community I play in on TC and how fun WvW is. I feel that there are many things that were promised to me in GW2 and ANet is going back on their word. Your post is correct and this is a problem as several of my long-time friends have left because they were not happy with recent changes in the game (vertical progression added), lack of balance for classes they play, and finally lack of love for our favorite aspect of the game: WvW.

I’ll keep at it in this game because I enjoy playing WvW with this awesome server, but if the game design keeps going downhill, my eyes won’t be blind to something else that can fill the space. This game shows so much promise, but it seems like they are letting opportunity slip through their fingers.

P.S. Those friends I told you that left – they are playing Planetside 2. They are bugging me to try it every night.

Hern | Sceptus | Vulkus | Colbane
[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

(edited by sceptus.9415)

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Cosec.9802

Cosec.9802

Yaks here. So um atm right now TC is rick rolling everything. I think someone got a big transfer boost. Sry TC but you didn’t have those kinds of numbers a day ago. So Well I hate to say it Yaks but we can’t compensate with pure determination .with our dwindling WvW community and I have to blame it fully on fractals. All I seen lions arch is LFG Fractals lvl 20. The fractals has killed yaks WvW community.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Yaks here. So um atm right now TC is rick rolling everything. I think someone got a big transfer boost. Sry TC but you didn’t have those kinds of numbers a day ago. So Well I hate to say it Yaks but we can’t compensate with pure determination .with our dwindling WvW community and I have to blame it fully on fractals. All I seen lions arch is LFG Fractals lvl 20. The fractals has killed yaks WvW community.

Meh, our server has always had more PvE inclined players than other servers when it comes to their WvW output. Just keep fighting the fight no matter what fellow Yak for that is what we do. See you on the field after work.

Oh if only I had a job where I could play at work…

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

It’s the bandwagon effect. We did well during the weekend and are opening a gap, so the masses come out to play. We didn’t get any transfer boosts.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Fel.8195

Fel.8195

More awesome fights tonight in YBBL. Even after ULTD broke for the night (basically guaranteed fun when we romp around as a group), there was some fun little back-and-forth between FA spawn and Bluelake.

Cheers to good times, both TC and YB.

EDIT – Also, at one point, I believe we were fighting YB who were down on the ground within the walls of Inner Bay, while we were up. TC came behind them and wiped them while they were shooting at us. I just wanted to thank TC for honoring the terms of our new 2v1 alliance against YB.

TC had actually just taken the keep. Your group was able to get up on the inner keep wall just prior to us capping it, and Yak’s had a group on the north inner gate as soon as we capped it. Yak’s busted in, and quickly pressed us at the Keep Lord. We purposely pushed Yak’s towards the FA group to wipe them. After Yak’s was cleared, we proceeded to push the FA group out of the inner keep.

It was an epic battle, and the sort of stuff I’m really enjoying during our matchups with Yak’s and FA. Even after we secured the inner keep, Yak’s had another large group bust in the NE gate, which led to another epic battle on the cliff top wall.

Overall, for the four hours we were in YBBL, it was just a constant grind and nonstop action on all fronts. I loved it, and look forward to more. FA, you certainly made it a challenge at GV!

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

TC had actually just taken the keep. Your group was able to get up on the inner keep wall just prior to us capping it, and Yak’s had a group on the north inner gate as soon as we capped it. Yak’s busted in, and quickly pressed us at the Keep Lord. We purposely pushed Yak’s towards the FA group to wipe them. After Yak’s was cleared, we proceeded to push the FA group out of the inner keep.

Oh I’m well aware of all the deets, I was just looking to casually set up a joke about 2v1, because I’d rather laugh at it than frown at it. Our group from FA was just a wee bit late in contesting the keep, otherwise it would have been a 3-way at the lord. I don’t think I was above half health for about 5 straight minutes as we were going back and forth on top of that wall. Fight was fun.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Sunshine.3452

Sunshine.3452

It’s the bandwagon effect. We did well during the weekend and are opening a gap, so the masses come out to play. We didn’t get any transfer boosts.

I really don’t think we can get that many transfers, I mean we are pretty much full 24/7 thanks to being the unofficial RP server (which is really really an advantage in these serverhopping days, and I am really greatfull for every single Roleplayer that plays on our server. Funny that I transfered to TC ( 3months ago) because it was the RP server and stayed for the WvWvW

Though our boost in numbers might be of diffrent origin, I know alot of people actually took a break from wvw last week because of the holidays and all that. I for example needed some time off of wvw, it started to feel more like a job than a game, but the week off and not playing that seriously, actually helped me enjoy it more this week.

Mesmer/Thief – PiNK – Garnished Toast Butterlands
T.O.A.S.T. The Organsiation Against Server Transfers

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

What I am seeing/hearing right now is the fair weathers are starting to not log in (as per usual FA) and frankly a lot of people are talking about boredom to which I can relate. I enjoy the challenge but imagine if we have to do this match for the next month or two months, really it is pretty boring. Honestly the same tactics every day, same fights at the same times, on and on kind of make WvW a major grind. This makes me worry about WvW future in general. If anything could kill this game worse then cheating/metagaming it would be staleness and boredom.

And to the ‘person’ building all the siege in hidden spots so that we reach siege cap. We know what your doing, very cute and sportsmanlike, yay metagaming.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

I’ve been in EB and we had a zerg accompanying one omega and four alpha golems rolling all over the map. That coupled with the fact that YB had outmanned in EB makes for fast capping.

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

Can someone lovely give us a score update? Maybe a map too? Would appreciate it.

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: rhyein.6172

rhyein.6172

Ask and you shall receive.

Attachments:

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

In the states…from now until the new Year, I suspect that attendance is going to be cyclical and iffy due to the holidays, family stuff etc.. Especially inTC , with its more mature playerbase.

Tis the season, ya know.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Deyja.6745

Deyja.6745

Was a fun night in EB, lost SM to golems and the Yaks who were recently pushed off FA BL only to take it all back and more not long after when they left.

We took the golems to fight the mighty grub and the champion spirit after we capped the map.

Attachments:

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

TC – 133,781
YB – 104,341
FA- 97,803

TC- 13 camps, 10 towers, 5 keeps, 1 Castle
YB- 10 camps, 9 towers, 5 keeps
FA- 1 camp, 5 towers, 2 keeps

Yak’s Bend just finished a massive counter attack against TC’s map domination on EB. Retaking all of the land north of SM, they began upgrading them immediately. I want to give a shout out to all those players who joined me in this amazing counter attack.

The Counter attack was also accompanied by FA retaking most of their land around their spawn too.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

Oof! Looks like we have some work to do this evening…

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Daedalus.3954

Daedalus.3954

Thanks bud.

Commander Kaena Godsfire – Guardian
Server – Fort Aspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: dmbucs.1367

dmbucs.1367

I completely agree Kanikani and have seen a lot less people logging in each day due to PlanetSide2 and the world being empty due to FOTM. I believe this match is also starting to get stale and if it occurs again next week, which is likely then we might see even less people doing wvw… I’m a regular 2-4 hours each night player and hope some changes to Ascended items, Class buffs, and WvW improvements come quickly or else we might lose even more casual players.

Mandrake
<PINK>Tarnished Coast

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

I’ve, basically, stopped playing and I’m from TC.

My experience on TC was a great one and TC has an incredible community.

TC doesn’t get a lot of server transfers because it is a very hard server to get onto.

TC is very susceptible to in-game events. With a lot of roleplayers on TC when there is an in-game event of any kind participation in WvW changes dramatically. Plus, the overall community on TC is older and more mature than the average server – that is not to say that there aren’t kids on TC or immature players but, as a whole, it is somewhat more mature.

TC’s population will probably hold up longer than other servers due to it being the unOfficial RP server.

One thing I have noticed in matches is that a lot of times a ‘loss’ is attributed to population imbalance when, in reality, it’s just players not cooperating with one another.

All sides may be full (as evidenced by queues) but the players may be off doing whatever it is they are doing so the overall objectives are not being taken.

Since ArenaNet doesn’t seem to have any vision or plan on how to address the point system… well, I’ve lost my interest in playing. But, I am glad to know that TC continues to be well represented!

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Fel.8195

Fel.8195

Oh I’m well aware of all the deets, I was just looking to casually set up a joke about 2v1, because I’d rather laugh at it than frown at it. Our group from FA was just a wee bit late in contesting the keep, otherwise it would have been a 3-way at the lord. I don’t think I was above half health for about 5 straight minutes as we were going back and forth on top of that wall. Fight was fun.

Yea, you should’ve seen us in team chat and spatial yelling at everyone to focus the Keep Lord as you guys were rushing in behind us. Very close! You guys had a nice group going there last night. Was a ton of fun.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

sceptus.9415

I’ve, basically, stopped playing and I’m from TC.

My experience on TC was a great one and TC has an incredible community.

TC doesn’t get a lot of server transfers because it is a very hard server to get onto.

TC is very susceptible to in-game events. With a lot of roleplayers on TC when there is an in-game event of any kind participation in WvW changes dramatically. Plus, the overall community on TC is older and more mature than the average server – that is not to say that there aren’t kids on TC or immature players but, as a whole, it is somewhat more mature.

TC’s population will probably hold up longer than other servers due to it being the unOfficial RP server.

One thing I have noticed in matches is that a lot of times a ‘loss’ is attributed to population imbalance when, in reality, it’s just players not cooperating with one another.

All sides may be full (as evidenced by queues) but the players may be off doing whatever it is they are doing so the overall objectives are not being taken.

Since ArenaNet doesn’t seem to have any vision or plan on how to address the point system… well, I’ve lost my interest in playing. But, I am glad to know that TC continues to be well represented!

This is exactly what I was talking about. Even TC is losing players to some of the changes or lack of changes in some cases, to the game. The server is full though, and moving here is really hard. I think the case of more people playing the person above mentioned has more to do with people being done with the event and getting bored with FOTM. This new dungeon is terrible design. I’m sure there are a lot of content junkies who drool over it, but as a pvp/wvw player, it is the worst thing that could happen to me. Seeing people leave reminds me of just about every other MMO I’ve played other than WoW. I start, and then a couple months later there are no friends playing anymore. I’m trying to make new friends here on the server though. I want to stick around as long as possible, because this community is the best I’ve been in since Everquest.

[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Setima.8741

On another note I suppose related to the slowdowns in WvW is the lack of real incentive to go there and do anything. I’m a Thief and me and a Thief friend generally hit all the camps and kill all the guards in a big loop for a few hours, ganking any small groups that dare to take us on. So we don’t get that many badges of course (20 or so per night usually) but it’s fun for a little while. The thing is, I have no real goal per se to achieve with the badges. The badge loot looks stupid for my Thief. Maybe the coat is okay, but I just don’t like the look of it. And since that’s the ONLY thing there I can really buy with the badges, I’m hard pressed to really want to get in there and grind out the stupid amount of badges I need for the set.

I hear they’re going to be adding more gear for badges later on, but I’ve heard no ETA on when. It could be two expansions from now for all we know. I’m sure a lot of people consider the incentive of doing WvW to be for the fun factor, but come on, at some point I want to see myself getting something out of it. The same incentive excuse could be used for PvE dungeons as well. Sure, maybe the first two or three times you do the dungeon it’s “fun” but after that it becomes a grind to get the gear. If that gear wasn’t cool looking or useful or whatever you wanted to get out of it, you wouldn’t be doing it. Think of that like World of Warcraft. Does anybody really still do Blackwing Lair? Molten Core? Serpent Shrine Caverns? Unless people are doing it for achievements or for transmog gear, nobody does it. So there needs to be a goal to strive for because that’s going to be one of the factors to making people do the content once the “fun” is gone and it’s become a boring grind without a purpose.

Hopefully they will add WvW gear sets that actually look completely different than anything you can get anywhere else in the game. With that idea, then if you wanted that “cool, sexy, black, spikey, armor of major amazing awesomeness” it would mean doing WvW only until you could afford the gear with badges. A grind? Pretty much everything will become that way eventually, but a grind with no real purpose? That’s just not something that will make people play very long.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: fatalis.9416

fatalis.9416

You can color the Garrison on FABL red now as well…9 of us Yaks just took it…..FA you should hang your heads in shame

There’s no way in this world that Yaks would give up our Garrison like that

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Cogbyrn.7283

My purpose in WvWvW is to fight people, laugh with my team about the awesome fights going down, then hop on here and mention the awesomeness of the fights that went down to the other servers. Almost like pick-up basketball with a group of friends, only we can’t joke around with the other team until later.

Every time incentives are mentioned as a necessity for PvP, my heart frowns.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

kanikani.2430

I agree Cogbyrn, the funnest moments I have had in WvW have nothing to do with drops or gear or whatever its those amazing moments like a 3 hour keep defense. But a little variety would really be awesome, spicing up the maps and such. Doing the same thing everyday in basically the same place and time, that’s work. But this whole discussion though its nice is probably a bit of topic for this thread I apologize for hijacking it initially.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: VisceralEdge.8910

VisceralEdge.8910

I have to agree as well. My guild Legion of Valorous (LOV) is a very small group of friends that PvE most of the time. I found that I like the WvW and don’t really care about the gear or drops, it’s just gravy to me. But getting trounced by real people who most often make smart moves has really improved my game and is TONS of fun! I don’t know if my guildies will catch the fever or not, but I’m trying to infect them!

Tarlaen, 80 Guardian
Legion of Valorous (LoV)
Fort Aspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Setima.8741

And Cogbyrn I’m sure there’s always a few people that would PvP for the rest of their lives because that’s just how they are. But most people in games and in real life, want something for their time or they just don’t do it. People wouldn’t get involved in professional sports if they didn’t make good money for it. Doctors wouldn’t go to school and bust their azzes if they didn’t get to save lives. Firefighters wouldn’t risk their lives going into burning buildings if there wasn’t a chance they’d save one life even if it cost their own.

Games are not nearly as crazy as all that but since the risk isn’t physical, it has to become more psychological in nature, the virtual carrot. In these games, competition is fine and dandy for a while, but at some point somebody wants to show off that shiny new weapon or armor set. Eventually even that will get boring as you can see from the state of WoW PvP for example. Some people just don’t bother with it anymore because the gear looks like crap. I remember back when I had to have that “Skeletor” looking armor (Deathmantle I believe?) for my Rogue. I played everyday for weeks to get the honor to get that set, then on to the next and the next. Since there’s no stat boosts in GW2, then it has to be from aesthetics that we strive to achieve. Since the majority of players in PvP are generally PvE type players, rewards=representation=competition. If they threw dungeon bosses into WvW maps that dropped super awesome tokens for some super awesome gear, the que for these maps would be like 10 hours long, flooded with PvE players going for the gear. That’s probably a bit extreme but still, the idea will always remain that a lot of people don’t mind competition and loss as long as in the end, they get something cool out of it.

It still boggles my mind why they didn’t have hundreds of armor and weapon models in WvW already, putting achievements into the game for getting each set. It’s a grind, but you’re already grinding for tokens anyway, so why not give us tons of things to strive for while we’re doing it? It certainly would motivate people no matter what the score is rather than deflate the populations in the maps once one team takes the ball and runs everybody else over with it.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

It still boggles my mind why they didn’t have hundreds of armor and weapon models in WvW already, putting achievements into the game for getting each set. It’s a grind, but you’re already grinding for tokens anyway, so why not give us tons of things to strive for while we’re doing it? It certainly would motivate people no matter what the score is rather than deflate the populations in the maps once one team takes the ball and runs everybody else over with it.

Same.

It also boggles my mind that they didn’t tie their point system into proportional representation of the populations involved. If a side is outnumbered 2:1 then they should get, at least, twice the points for what they hold versus the opposing team (with some baseline values to guard against manipulation). But, whatever, it is what it is

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

kanikani.2430

People wouldn’t get involved in professional sports if they didn’t make good money for it.

But people play sports all the time and do not get paid for it. Just saying.

Personally I feel content/design is the answer and you feel the answer would be reward. Difference of values/opinions, neither is wrong. In fact honestly why cant we have both. At this point we pretty much have neither (well little of each would be better put).

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: VisceralEdge.8910

VisceralEdge.8910

I just want to know how TC dropped a kitty load of players (literally) on my head last night as I was manning a ballista. No warning to me or anybody else in the area, we were epically crushed. It was both rude and awesome at the same time! I guess I still have a lot to learn….

Tarlaen, 80 Guardian
Legion of Valorous (LoV)
Fort Aspenwood

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Setima.8741

Well the reward system became something much more focused on after the initial generation of kids started to want something other than just the “win” so to say. Back when I played Quake and Tribes, you didn’t upgrade anything, you didn’t get anything for a reward outside of your team winning if you did well and losing of course if your team sucked. Then games like WoW hit where time=reward=more time spent=more reward, etc. So now we have a generation of gamers who probably started with WoW as their first MMO (much the same way a lot of people’s first Final Fantasy game was 7) and became used to getting rewards for doing well in PvE. PvP in WoW initially had no rewards at all outside of reputation vendors who sold PvE gear and a couple of potions you could use in PvP. People started to wane in the populations inside those battlegrounds, so Blizzard added all that shiny PvP gear and a hell of a grind for Grand Marshal, but at that point, that gear was so awesome, that thousands of people grinded and grinded to be top dog.

I’m not asking they don’t add content or designs. I’m asking that if you’re going to make WvW something for casual PvE players to enjoy, you have to give them something to keep them going. One armor set isn’t enough, especially when it looks like azz. We didn’t even get a choice, it’s just one thing and that’s it. No achievements for buying them either. I would have thought for a company that had one of the largest PvP type MMOs out there, they would have had 10 WvW maps and 30 or 40 different maps to play on in tPvP/sPvP. Again though, it seems 90% of the game was PvE thoughts first, PvP second, and while that is okay from a business sense (as most players of MMOs are PvE based), for the rest of the crowds that rely on PvE players to give us stuff to do in PvP, it’s just not enough in this case. I’m sure things will change, but with the rate I see things going, it may be too late to recover by the time the changes get here.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

o_O

TCster here. There were no tranfers to TC that I know off. I’ve seen the same amount of queues for weeks now, I seriously doubt there are more players now.

It’s not the TC numbers that make a difference, I think it is the fact that a) alot of TC WWWers are in one guild, a guild with mumble and all, so it helps ALOT and b) this week, FA often simply gave up when things were going against them, unlike previous week when they didn’t gave up so soon.

We captured the whole FA map twice this week, all points, without a queue to FA BL.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Last night was funny.

We (Yak’s) were defending Ogrewatch from ~10 FA who were on the small hill facing Ogrewatch. Then a 40+ TC zerg strolls in between FA on the hill and Yak’s in Ogrewatch, heads to Pangloss supply camp, takes that and strolls back out the same way they came in and disappears.

I laughed.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Posted by: cannedflame.3597

cannedflame.3597

Hello all, Karn Aegispaw [BIF] here from TC. I just wanted to apologize to FA for the disruption my buddy and I caused yesterday, killing just about every dolyak we could get to, for several hours. We are especially sorry for stealing the dolyak right out from under your noses at your northern-most supply camp, for which you slaughtered us. It was all in good fun! What else is a pair of upleveled-from-20’s good for?

Keep fighting the good fight, gentlemen of all servers! See you on the field!

Human Necromancer Marrow Doomherald – Charr Guardian Karn Aegispaw
Norn Warrior Teun Vallensson – Human Thief Roland Whelan
Guild Creator of Born of Ice and Fire [BIF]

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Tallis.5607

We wiped our borderlands blue with a 10-15 man crew after TC either got bored or realised how much territory they had sacrificed for our garrison and withdrew the majority of their forces.

Well, as one of the TC players that was there, I can tell you that our determination to take your garrison was partly caused by the FA-whining-post here on the forums and partly by the many complaints in our chat about FA-corpse-dancing.

We knew fully well that taking the garrison while Yak was around would cost us more points that it gained, but several people literally said stuff like ‘better to take stuff from FA and loose to Yak, then let FA keep their stuff’.

That’s what happens when you are rude to others…

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

sceptus.9415

Well the reward system became something much more focused on after the initial generation of kids started to want something other than just the “win” so to say. Back when I played Quake and Tribes, you didn’t upgrade anything, you didn’t get anything for a reward outside of your team winning if you did well and losing of course if your team sucked. Then games like WoW hit SNIP…

I played quake and tribes too. Those were the days. Was in The Rangers clan for quake, and Silent Assault for tribes.

[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

(edited by sceptus.9415)

11/23 - TC, FA & YB

in WvW

Tallis.5607

I just want to know how TC dropped a kitty load of players (literally) on my head last night as I was manning a ballista. No warning to me or anybody else in the area, we were epically crushed. It was both rude and awesome at the same time! I guess I still have a lot to learn….

Probably a mesmer portal. We did that ALOT this week, especially at choke points: with their two invisibility sources and some of their protective skills, they can run pretty far after they placed the portal entrance.