Reboot the Base Map Mechanic & Population

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Anet should looking into this suggestion and give feedback so players and developer can make WvW better together.

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

At this point I feel like the could close EoTM and just have people be mercenaries on other realms not in you own tier.

Or randomly asign guild/players a color every week.

Since server is sorta just a name at the point you could set up 9 wvw “servers” when you reach the level to go into wvw you pick one of these servers and that who you fight for moving between servers can be done free but is limited to once a month and only out of the wvw season. This still gives the sense your fighting for a team well condensing the wvw population thus increasing the amount of people per map. This can also be monitored to make sure servers don’t get over stacked because you can always close it to incoming transfers.

All I know is something needs to be done to get more people per map because even on tier 3 na I have run around for over an hour with out seeing the enemy.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

@Samhayn

How’s this for a solution?

Please…Reboot the Base Map Mechanic – Transform Servers into Globes

Base Map Mechanic & Globe Concept

Base Map Mechanic

Players choose 1 Globe to represent.

Old Servers are Transformed into Globes.

Globes are re-named after their Old World Server’s Name.

Each Globe owns 4 maps in WvW.

Players can enter any Globe from a list of all NA and EU Globes.

Players will have a limit on how many globes they can enter per week.

ANet can change in a single setting how many Globes that ALL players can enter per week to prevent un-fair matches, and to stop players from trying to game the system.

Limit can vary from 1-3 Globes.

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack.

Globe Concept

Currently. When you enter WvW. You enter a World Server based map.

You see 4 Maps.

Server A – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

New Globe. When you enter WvW. You enter a Globe based map.

Globe A
Server A – Owns Green BL
Server A – Owns Red BL
Server A – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe B
Server B – Owns Green BL
Server B – Owns Red BL
Server B – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe C
Server C – Owns Green BL
Server C – Owns Red BL
Server C – Owns Blue BL
Shared – Eternal Battle

Globe D – Z
Not going to repeat the above for each Globe

Players from Globe A

Can always fight in their Home Globe A

Can fight in Enemy Globes B-Z

Player Picks Globe B & fights there
Player Picks Globe M & fights there
Player Picks Globe Z & fights there

Player Picks Globe C, but can’t enter it because they’ve reached the Globe limit of 3.

Player can only fight in Globe B, M, Z for the week until the Globe limit resets the following week.

ANet can increase or decrease this Weekly number of Globes a player can go to. The range is 1-3 Globes per week.

ANet can prevent un-fair match-ups by doing this.

Players are free to pick & choose to fight in any Globe up to the Weekly Globe Limit.

Players can meet up with friends on a Shared Enemy Globe & be Allies fighting together.

Battle is very dynamic. People will not sit in a Globe & wait for attacks.

The Globe based design allows players to pick 1-3 Globes to attack for the week that gets reset weekly.

The Globe based design allows players from 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes.

The only restriction to being the 1-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches. Also helps to keep players from gaming the system.

The Best Defense requires Better Offense.

Each Home Globe will be shown in Random Order…the Top 3 Globes attacking them.

A typical strategy to stop Enemies from attacking you…is that you attack them.

New Base Map Mechanic allows your Home Globe to team up with friends in other Globes to beat the snot out of the Enemy attacking your Home Globe.

This is where we will get dynamic Match-Ups which the Old Tier based system doesn’t allow.

The New Map Mechanic was done this way to promote this cycle.

Globes that want to stop fighting can, but they will drop in Rank.

When they stop fighting…the Enemy Globe attacking them will get a new list for their Top 3 Globes attacking them.

Please…Reboot the Current Population – One Time Free Transfer

Population Reboot & Time Zone/Language Label

Population Reboot

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe.

Reboot allows Communities to re-form around Time Zone & Language.

Time Zone & Language helps to Label the Globe Community that forms there.

It helps players choose the right Globe to call Home.

Also, the Globe’s population is annually asked at a Voting Event if they want to change their Time Zone Label.

Time Zone & Language DOES NOT prevent players from joining any Globe.

Time Zone/Language Label

Keep in mind. Globes are Labeled after a Time Zone. This Time Zone Mechanic is only a Label.

Communities Form around this Label.

Severe Server stacking isn’t such a huge issue as players pick Home Globes based on the Community that Forms around the Time Zone Label that is near them.

Also, there is a Language Option mechanic…it helps properly Label the Community that forms for each Globe.

New Players before choosing a Globe…are shown the Language preference distribution of the population…primary & secondary Languages selected by players for the Globe.

Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW. Time Zone & Language Option only Label a Globe for players to know what they’re choosing for their Home.

Also, Time Zone Label can be changed by the Globe’s Population during an Annual Voting Event in case demographics later change.

Local & International Communities Form around Globes using these Labels.

WvW is 24/7

Battles can fluidly move across All Globes.

Borderland Maps – Mix, Swap, or Reduce

Since players first appear in 1 of 3 Colored corners of the Eternal Battle Map in WvW with this proposal.

It’s interesting to see that mixing, swapping, or reducing the number of Borderland maps used is really possible, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming standpoint.

Portals & Spawn Points

…Players entering WvW from PvE or PvP start in the Red Corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe. WvW map Portals grant access to 4 Destinations

…1) Lions Arch
…2) Red corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe
…3) Green corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe
…4) Blue corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will now prompt players to pick from a list of All World Globes on Weekly Reset.

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will give players a customized list based on their Weekly choices & ANet’s enforced Guesting limit after Weekly Reset.

…Map travel using the (M)ap shortcut key allows simple travel to spawn points within a chosen World Globe.

Note to developers:

This Reboot of Base Map Mechanic & Population is flexible enough to work with the Old Alpine Map or New Desert Map.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

At this point I feel like the could close EoTM and just have people be mercenaries on other realms not in you own tier.

Since server is sorta just a name at the point you could set up 9 wvw “servers” when you reach the level to go into wvw you pick one of these servers and that who you fight for moving between servers can be done free but is limited to once a month and only out of the wvw season. This still gives the sense your fighting for a team well condensing the wvw population thus increasing the amount of people per map. This can also be monitored to make sure servers don’t get over stacked because you can always close it to incoming transfers.

All I know is something needs to be done to get more people per map because even on tier 3 na I have run around for over an hour with out seeing the enemy.

Close eotm??? You mean the place where people are actually playing and that doesn’t have population issues? The place where obviously players are having fun? That place should be closed? Really? For real? Is this “real life”?

If anything, they should shut down all BLs at this point instead… Just keep EB for y’all…

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Samhayn

Many players like Swagger really enjoy EotM & closing it down could make many players upset.

I’d suggest the following instead of closing it down:

EotM Map implemented without WvW Rewards (i.e. Badges of Honor, WXP, WvW Achievements, WvW Ascended Equipment, etc.)

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Doo Lally.8594

Doo Lally.8594

I’m all for change driven by the community that benefits the WvW player base. Any changes that make the experience better than it is at the moment (and I was away for 6 months) have my vote.

It’s particularly sad to login and see how empty the maps are.

in WvW

Samhayn.2385

Close eotm??? You mean the place where people are actually playing and that doesn’t have population issues? The place where obviously players are having fun? That place should be closed? Really? For real? Is this “real life”?

If anything, they should shut down all BLs at this point instead… Just keep EB for y’all…

EoTM was supposed to be an overflow system, it now is popular because it has people on it. If we had a system that populated regular wvw maps first then yeah I don’t see why not. It was the first iteration on what seems to be coming to wvw anyways if it no longer serves a purpose then it could be closed and we could start having BL rotations between desert, forest and EoTM maps changing at reset.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Samhayn

True…it was supposed to be an overflow, but many players may like it now due to the current circumstances.

That’s why I’d propose on keeping it, but just remove the rewards that really should belong to the WvW players that actually participate in the main event.

It’s funny that EotM & the Eternal Battle got so popular because most players prefer the old maps.

A word of caution…please refrain from bringing up Megaserver in this thread.

Megaserver based & Server based solutions is a highly emotionally charged topic & will lead to arguments that left un-checked will ruin this discussion.

Out of respect…Megaserver proponents please consider discussing your ideas in a separate Topic thread instead.

This thread is meant for discussing a Server based solution.

Thank you,
Diku

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

EoTM was supposed to be an overflow system, it now is popular because it has people on it. If we had a system that populated regular wvw maps first then yeah I don’t see why not. It was the first iteration on what seems to be coming to wvw anyways if it no longer serves a purpose then it could be closed and we could start having BL rotations between desert, forest and EoTM maps changing at reset.

Or they could close WvW because EotM is superior game mode.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Samhayn.2385

Meh game mode mechanics aside I really don’t like the map that much for eotm. That’s why I said rotating maps

in WvW

Samhayn.2385

Meh game mode mechanics aside I really don’t like the map that much for eotm. That’s why I said rotating maps

in WvW

Posted by: Indure.5410

Indure.5410

This thread is far too long for me to provide accurate analysis, but I’ll give the best feedback I can. Having 4 maps to defend is far too much territory to cover. A single EB is enough.

I would make the suggestion that if you still want 4 maps (1 EB + 3 borderlands) they be oriented in a tiered system. With the first 2 borderlands being the only thing the offense can attack at first. Once they are conquered, the next borderland opens and needs to be taken, and then the EB is unlocked. Maps already have a population cap on them but it should be shifted to provide a bonus to the defenders. Tier 1 (lowest) 50/50, Tier 2 60/40 defenders advantage, Tier 3 (EB) 70/30 defenders advantage.

So as an example if the pop. cap was 100 people in Tier 3 (EB): the defenders would have 70 potential slots to the defenders 30 slots. This would always allow the defenders to have a population advantage, assuming they can fill all their slots.

I’m not sure what the benefit is of placing a restriction on the amount of Globes you can travel to each week. Taking an opponents territory doesn’t limit their ability to counter-attack my Globe, so their is little reason to target Globes that are currently attacking me. What is more likely to happen is strong Globes will avoid attacking each other because it isn’t cost-effective and instead focus all their energy in attacking the weakest Globes to exponentially increase their territory and points. What your system needs is a system where losing key points in your home Globe actually effects your ability to conquer other Globes. This would give some (although little) incentive for stronger Globes to attack each other if to only limit their enemy’s rate of expansion.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Indure

Since players first appear in 1 of 3 Colored corners of the Eternal Battle Map in WvW with this proposal.

It’s interesting to see that mixing, swapping, or REDUCING the number of Borderland maps used is really possible, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming standpoint.

Portals & Spawn Points

…Players entering WvW from PvE or PvP start in the Red Corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe. WvW map Portals grant access to 4 Destinations

…1) Lions Arch
…2) Red corner of Eternal Battle for Home Globe
…3) Green corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe
…4) Blue corner of Eternal Battle Map of Any World Globe

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will now prompt players to pick from a list of All World Globes on Weekly Reset.

…Choosing the Green or Blue Portal will give players a customized list based on their Weekly choices & ANet’s enforced Guesting limit after Weekly Reset.

…Map travel using the (M)ap shortcut key allows simple travel to spawn points within a chosen World Globe.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Indure

When larger & stronger Globes attack weaker Globes & really un-fair matches occur.

ANet can adjust the Weekly Globe Limit to 1 Globe. All players would only be able to visit 1 Globe per week

The Globe a player picks would be the only Globe they can attack for the whole week. Players can only change the Globe they attack at the next Weekly Globe Reset.

New Base Map Mechanic also does this:

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack.

If ANet has to enforce a Weekly Globe Limit of 1 Globe.

Stronger Globes will be exposed to attack from All Globes, but their armies would be forced to divide itself in retaliation attacks along multiple Globe fronts.

Bottom 3 Ranked Globes actually always get an Automatic Buff for attacking any Top 3 Globes.

Top 3 Ranked Globes really don’t benefit from attacking the Bottom 3 Ranked Globes.

…King of Hill Buff – Bottom 3 WvW Ranked Worlds get an automatic buff when attacking any Top WvW Ranked World’s Home Globes. Cross Global Theaters of War attacks also trigger Buff

…Per Cap – Objectives captured earn points at flip. Higher points are earned based on the Objective’s Upgrade Tier when flipped. Extremely low points awarded for objectives that have zero upgrades.

…Per Cap – Objectives need to be claimed to earn Flip Points

…Per Cap – Objective Flip Points earned scale in relation to a Guild’s Home Globe WvW Rank. More points are earned if Globe is Higher Rank. Less points earned if Globe is Lower Rank

While the Top Rank Globe attacks the Lower Rank Globe or Globes. The middle and 2nd Ranked Globes can use this as an opportunity to move up in Rank by attacking the Top Tier with All the other Lower Ranked Globes.

Points earned from taking Objectives earn better if the Globe Rank is higher than yours.

Lower Globes have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Top Ranked Globes if not careful trying to pillage the Lower Ranked Globes may get side swiped by an up & coming Globe that wants to earn better points by grabbing territory in the Top Ranked Globe.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

Anything important one wants Anet’s attention could have a topic on Reddit.com too.

It appears Reddit is a warm and fuzzy place for developers where they are active with posts like

Cupcake Day at ArenaNet!!

It is read by a larger audience including non GW2 players that GW 2 wants to market its game to.

And Reddit.com is neutral place where Anet can’t infract, edit, or delete posts they do not want the world to know which could make posts more impactful.

And someone already started

WvW after Month and a half of HoT #2

Fire Water Air
FA

in WvW

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

I don’t see how your idea would stop server stacking (an “issue” that I quite like, but I’m a dedicated T1 player) what is there to stop a single “Globe” from just buying up guilds and building up their forces the same way T1 servers always have, and boom their no different than they are today.

Next as someone who has been deeply involved with running and planning all time zones of a server, I’m here to tell you there aren’t enough OCX players to be able to make two ocx majority servers, NA will always outnumber them at this point in the games life cycle, and I’m not as sure but its most likely the same with SEA. If you can’t have at least two servers for just those TZ’s then they wont see any point, and they will distribute themselves across the top “Globes” for max fights. Those “Globes” will intern have vastly better OCX and SEA coverage and will then dominate the matchup, no mater the NA populations of other globes.

I’m very happy to see players trying to devise how to fix our game mode, but your fix doesn’t change enough to stop what globes becoming no different than servers (population wise) now I don’t see that as a bad thing, but I’m also one of those boogie men who likes the idea of just making 9 servers total.

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

in WvW

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Something needs to happen.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Lurock Turoth

Time Zone & Language mechanics that is being proposed are only Labels that players will reference to figure out which Home Globe best fits their profile.

Just to be clear…Time Zone & Language mechanics do not stop players from doing anything in WvW…

Your role to coordinate different Time Zones would be made easier as you will be able to reference the Time Zone Label of a Globe to coordinate things.

Players can continue to Globe stack if they want.

ANet would probably adjust the Weekly Globe limit that players can visit to 1 for the week to force the #1 Ranked Globe to be the King of the Hill.

If Weekly Globe limit is set to 1. Once a player attacks a Globe.

That Specific Chosen Globe is the only Globe that the player will be able to attack for the whole week…until the next Weekly Globe Reset occurs.

A very large Guild could hold hostage the Top 3 Ranked Globes, but the Base Mechanic will at least allow the Lowest Ranked Globe to attack them.

Current Base Map Mechanic does not even allow the Lowest Ranked World to attack the #1 Ranked WvW World.

This is a long term solution that encourages Local & International WvW Communities to form & become established…then nurtured.

Over time…Communities will be born, grow up, age, and die…the cycle of life.

Lower Ranked Globes earn more points attacking Higher Ranked Globes.

Higher Ranked Globes earn less points attacking Lower Ranked Globes.

Home Globe Team will be shown the 3 Top Globes attacking in a random order to provide targeting.

…King of Hill Buff – Bottom 3 WvW Ranked Worlds get an automatic buff when attacking any Top WvW Ranked World’s Home Globes. Cross Global Theaters of War attacks also trigger Buff

Both NA & EU #1 Ranked Globes would earn less for being the King of the Hill…because nobody is above them in Rank.

Noticed you didn’t mention anything about EU Globes.

This map mechanic would allow players from EU Globes to attack NA Globes.

Also, this map mechanic would allow players from NA Globes to attack EU Globes.

The Globe based design allows players from all 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes.

Current Base Map Mechanic Does Not Allow players to fluidly fight across all World Servers.

It’s more fun to be able to fight in any Globe of your choice for the week.

Current Base Map Mechanic has you typically fighting the same Server in the same Tier for weeks…if not months…over and over again.

The only restriction to being the 1-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches. Also helps to keep players from gaming the system.

Players can choose to fight in any NA & EU Globe.

WvW is open 24/7….and now…players can find a Globe that is active…even if it’s Night Time for their Home Globe…because it’s definitely Day Time on an International Globe to that player.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/27547t/question_about_wvw_timezones
The following is how i’ve seen BG tend to define them, based off of PST:
EST: 4pm -7pm
PST: 9pm – 12am
OCX: 1am – 5am
SEA: 6am – 10am
EU: 11am – 2pm

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: infinityandbeyond.9652

infinityandbeyond.9652

Yep , support these ideas.

Infi Erratum.
Snafs Golem Emporium SoS

in WvW

Posted by: gloflop.3510

gloflop.3510

If I look at the answers to your reply and the remaining posts in other threads, I believe most players complain about the number of fellow players in WvW. The solution (which is longer in the debate) is to merge worlds. However, I also know players who go to small worlds because there are less other players. When we find a solution, it must be a solution for all players. It is not feasible if Anet invests many ressources in the changes and it does not work out.

Currently merging servers would only cure the symptoms and not the problem. If most of the players queue for EB anyway, it is not a good idea to increase the number of players so that even more queue for EB. In a first step the BL have to become more attractive, then we can discuss merging worlds (or creating globes). Furthermore, we have to consider that enlarging the player basis as proposed would change the characteristics of the community. The proposal would increase the number of players quite drastically. Now it is possible to have an overview of the most important players and guilds. Will this be the case after the changes? I think that is an important issue to adress.

Another point came up to me: How does the proposal change the incentives each player has. I talked about the familiarity which may decrease before. Another example are the anti-troll rules. Let us imagine a guild with 50 members doesnt like a certain other player or two guilds dont like each other. Now they vote the other(s) as “troll”. I fear that Anet would be drawn in the middle of the conflicts. However, this should not be the goal. I think your proposal should be rethought in this direction.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@gloflop

ANet doesn’t need to force players to Merge servers.

Players are already taking it upon themselves to Merge. Most players are already migrating to the Top 3 Tier Worlds.

This proposal will implement a One Time Free Transfer.

Population Reboot & Time Zone/Language Label

Population Reboot

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe

Reboot allows Communities to re-form around Time Zone & Language

Time Zone & Language helps to Label the Globe Community that forms there

It helps players choose the right Globe to call Home

Time Zone Label can be changed at a Globe’s Annual Voting event

Time Zone & Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW

Time Zone/Language Label

Globes are Labeled after a Time Zone. This Time Zone Mechanic is only a Label

Communities Form around this Label

Also, there is a Language mechanic to help properly Label a Community that forms for each Globe

New Players before choosing a Globe…are shown the Language preference distribution of its population…primary & secondary Languages of players for the Globe

Local & International Communities Form around Globes using these Labels

Time Zone & Label Mechanics Do Not prevent players from doing anything in WvW.

A few mechanics that relate to Trolls

Anti-Troll – WvW Dishonor Flag
1) Let the WvW community of players flag the player(s) they think are Trolls.
2) Put limitations on how this flag is applied to prevent abuse.
3) Then decide on what the Dishonor flag does to these Trolls.

Free Accounts – Can’t Buy, Deploy, or Email WvW Siege (with HoT release) – See Related – [Players]

Free Accounts – Can’t Claim Objectives (with HoT release) – See Related – [Players]

in WvW

Diku.2546

@gloflop

After the Population Reboot…the Base Map Mechanic will be in place to allow Players to go where everybody is fighting.

Solution for all players.

Old servers are transformed into Globes. This preserves Server Pride.

Globe Maps allow Individual Players to Pick their own Match-Ups with a Limitation that ANet can adjust to stop Players from Gaming the System.

Base Map Mechanic & Individual Player Picked Globe Match-Ups

Base Map Mechanic

Players choose 1 Globe to represent

Old Servers are Transformed into Globes

Globes are re-named after their Old World Server’s Name

Each Globe owns 4 maps in WvW

Players can enter any Globe from a list of all NA and EU Globes

Players will have a limit on how many globes they can enter per week

ANet can change in a single setting how many Globes that ALL players can enter per week to prevent un-fair matches, and to stop players from trying to game the system

Limit can vary from 1-3 Globes

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack

Individual Player Picked Globe Match-Ups

Currently. When you enter WvW. You enter a World Server based map

You see 4 Maps

Server A – Owns Green
Server B – Owns Red
Server C – Owns Blue
Shared – EB

New Globe. When you enter WvW. You enter a Globe based map

Globe A
Server A – Owns Green
Server A – Owns Red
Server A – Owns Blue
Shared – EB

Globe B
Server B – Owns Green
Server B – Owns Red
Server B – Owns Blue
Shared – EB

Globe C
Server C – Owns Green
Server C – Owns Red
Server C – Owns Blue
Shared – EB

Globe D – Z
Not going to repeat the above for each Globe

Players from Globe A

Can always fight in their Home Globe A

Can fight in Enemy Globes B-Z

Player Picks Globe B & fights there
Player Picks Globe M & fights there
Player Picks Globe Z & fights there

Player Picks Globe C, but can’t enter it because they’ve reached the Globe limit of 3

Player can only fight in Globe B, M, Z for the week until the Globe limit resets the following week

ANet can increase or decrease this Weekly number of Globes a player can go to. The range is 1-3 Globes per week

Players are free to pick & choose to fight in any Globe up to the Weekly Globe Limit

Players can meet up with friends on a Shared Enemy Globe & be Allies fighting together

Battle is very dynamic. People will not sit in a Globe & wait for attacks

The Globe based design allows players from 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes

The only restriction to being the 1-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches. Also helps to keep players from gaming the system

The Best Defense requires Better Offense

Each Home Globe will be shown in Random Order…the Top 3 Globes attacking them

A typical strategy to stop Enemies from attacking you…is that you attack them

New Base Map Mechanic allows your Home Globe to team up with friends in other Globes to beat the snot out of the Enemy attacking your Home Globe

This is where we will get dynamic Match-Ups which the Old Tier based system doesn’t allow

The New Map Mechanic was done this way to promote this cycle

Globes that want to stop fighting can, but they will drop in Rank

When they stop fighting…the Enemy Globe attacking them will get a new list for their Top 3 Globes attacking them

Borderland Maps – Mix, Swap, or REDUCE

Players first appear in corners of the Eternal Battle Map with this proposal

Mixing, swapping, or REDUCING the number of Borderland maps used is possible with this proposal, but I’m not sure if it’s feasible from a programming standpoint

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Good thread. /bump

Gone to Reddit.

in WvW

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

Great idea… sad that Anet is ignoring this forum and community…

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Diku,

Do you see what’s happening in your own words..

Anet doesn’t need to force players to Merge servers.
Players are already taking it upon themselves to Merge. Most players are already migrating to the Top 3 Tier Worlds.
This proposal will implement a One Time Free Transfer.

YOUR words are CLEARLY showing that server pride IS dead for most of the players… You ain’t gonna save it with this project…

YOU know people are transferring because they are looking for FULLER servers… They DON’T care about server pride, they want bodies on maps and to FIGHT!!!

Your solution also OFFERS a FREE transfer because you recognize ALL this…

Think Diku, think about it…

I’m fully well aware about all this stuff you are proposing, so I will not need any explaination…

The devs are looking at all this going… We already identified the problems and have spent the entire 12 MONTHS working on a project and now Colin has all engineers typing away…

Right now the devs are working on saving face because as you said, players keep scrambling to the top servers and leaving behind wastelands while waving bye bye…

And the few posters on this page are right, your proposal solves nothing, it only keeps things the same and presents a brand new set of similar problems…

Nothing short of mega/merging/alliance stuff will work.

in WvW

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

Great idea… sad that Anet is ignoring this forum and community…

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

You’re twisting my words & bending it to rationalize your poorly conceived logic…which has no solid plan on how to implement it.

Reminder: Please do not attempt to discuss your plan here. This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss a Server Based Solution. You are more than welcome to create a New Topic Thread that can focus discussion on your Megaserver based solution separately from this Topic Thread.

I’ve already suggested to you to create a separate Topic Thread in previous posts.

Megaserver & Server Based Solutions are highly emotional and polar opposites…that if left un-checked will break down into heated arguments.

Yes, Players just want to have fun & are migrating up to Top Tier servers.

It’s the Broken Base Map Mechanic that forces players to abandon their Server in favor of finding a decent fight.

ANet needs to fix this Broken Base Map Mechanic that is preventing players from finding a decent fight…imho.

It’s really a simple fix.

Get rid of the Current Tier Based system & replace it with a Globe based system that allows players to find a decent fight on their own…imho.

Once the Base Map Mechanic is fixed…Server/Globe Loyalty & Passion can be used to fuel the battles that will rage across all Server/Globes.

•Do not submit “trolling” posts or threads. We define “trolling” as commenting in a manner intended to elicit overly strong negative and emotional responses for mere shock value, attempting to derail threads, persistently posting off-topic, or engaging in personal attacks on another forum member. Accounts made with the sole intent to “troll” will be terminated.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: TheDarkSoul.1938

TheDarkSoul.1938

I’m +1ing firstly because I really appreciate the thought you’ve put into this and the amount of depth you’ve put into it. I’m struggling to decide if this will actually work or not (I think the only way anyone could know that is if, somehow, we got to actually test it for ourselves) but I love the idea. My concern is that alot of the people I play with now will find the whole world reset thing as an excuse to go off and join other globes and make their homes there instead and therefore splitting up the players on my server for good, but if that doesn’t happen and population issues are solved and I finally get to have fun roaming AND zerging in full maps again, I’m happy with whatever format WvW is in, including this one.

I also really really love the idea and reasoning behind allowing us to choose which Globes we attack. Althought in theory it’s true that certain Globes could be clusterkittened by a whole bunch of other Globes and find it impossible to defend due to being so heavily outnumbered, in practice I think Globes will really think more tactically and cautiously on who it is they’re attacking each week. And, of course, concentrating on being totally aggressive against a single Globe will have repurcussions for your own Globe, which I think is a good thing.

Obviously, like I said, I don’t think it’s fair to say “This will work” or “This won’t work” because we don’t know, this would HAVE to be extensively tested before it would ever be implemented… which unfortunatly I don’t think it ever will be. But, anything is better than the current system, and I think this proposal is a step in the right direction.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@TheDarkSoul

Thank you…

@WvW Community

NeverEnding Story…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUttwzazq30

Why don’t you do what you’ve dreamed?

BUMP THIS THREAD…PLEASE SAVE US!!!

At this rate…it’ll be TheEnded Story.

Attachments:

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: godfat.2604

godfat.2604

3) Isn’t PPT over emphasized in this proposal?

PPT is not a good thing to have

Weekly PPT Cap

World Globe Rank & Scoring

Current
Per Tick – Every 15 minutes – Points Earned
Per Kill – At Death – Points Earned
Blood Lust Buff (with HoT release) – Removal Pending

Not Implemented but being proposed

Per Cap – Objectives captured earn points at flip. Higher points are earned based on the Objective’s Upgrade Tier when flipped. Extremely low points awarded for objectives that have zero upgrades

Per Cap – Objectives need to be claimed to earn Flip Points

Per Cap – Objective Flip Points earned scale in relation to a Guild’s Home Globe WvW Rank. More points are earned if Globe is Higher Rank. Less points earned if Globe is Lower Rank

Weekly PPT Cap of 25,000 – 100,000 Points for each Globe. ANet to adjust value to keep runaway scores from happening

WvW Home Globe Rank based on Weekly Weighted Statistics in Parent Thread

WvW Home Globe Rank Top 3 & Bottom 3 – Global Theaters of War each maintains a separate list

I don’t quite understand this. Does this mean we could only earn points when flipping objectives? If so, then there would have no points to defend and hold an objective.

If defending and holding is pointless, then sieging even objectives would be pointless, too.

I believe we still need some kind of PPT, along with “Objective cascades” mentioned in this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Some-WvW-opinions-from-a-long-time-player/first

Or I guess you mean, in addition to the traditional PPT, we could also earn points when flipping objectives? Then this would make much more sense.

in WvW

Diku.2546

Or I guess you mean, in addition to the traditional PPT, we could also earn points when flipping objectives? Then this would make much more sense.

^It’s this. Normal PPT works up to the PPT Cap then the only way to earn points is by flipping objectives.

You made me realize that this needed to be added:

Weekly PPT Cap Adds Weight to Rank that scales to Globes that earn it first

Updated the FAQ based on your feedback. Take a peek below:

3) Isn’t PPT over emphasized in this proposal?

PPT without a cap is bad

Proposed Weekly PPT Cap

World Globe Rank & Scoring

Current Scoring
Per Tick – Every 15 minutes – Points Earned
Per Kill – At Death – Points Earned
Blood Lust Buff (with HoT release) – Removal Pending

Not Implemented but being proposed
Per Cap – Objectives captured earn points at flip. Higher points are earned based on the Objective’s Upgrade Tier when flipped. Extremely low points awarded for objectives that have zero upgrades

Per Cap – Objectives need to be claimed to earn Flip Points

Per Cap – Objective Flip Points earned scale in relation to a Guild’s Home Globe WvW Rank. More points are earned if Globe is Higher Rank. Less points earned if Globe is Lower Rank

Weekly PPT Cap of 25,000 – 100,000 Points for each Globe. ANet to adjust value to keep runaway scores from happening

Weekly PPT Cap Adds Weight to Rank that scales to Globes that earn it first

WvW Home Globe Rank based on Weekly Weighted Statistics in Parent Thread

WvW Home Globe Rank Top 3 & Bottom 3 – Global Theaters of War each maintains a separate list

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

Added to 1st Post:

Should, Would, or Does work…which is better?

How much coding does ANet need to do?

Globe Limit is a simple mechanic.

Globe Limit Does Work & is already being used when you 1st Logon.

It’s called Guesting.

Next time you logon – Click [ World Selection ] Button – Pick a Different Home World – Click [ Guest ] Button.

in WvW

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I support this exchange of ideas in general, although I have no idea if it will affect the diastrous situation positively. Coming from a small german server and having some wvw friends there, I realize that wvw is really on life support here.

I also don´t fully understand the whole EotM debate. Karma is old news in GW2, I see absolutely no reason to go to EotM at the moment if you have all the APs you can get there and don´t need to level.

So either we
a) turn it into a system like the one suggested and Anet treats it like a league. Why a league? Because even the worst sports team has die hard fans, and some people like to play against the big dog in a fight for survival. This would also validate WvW, as of right now the consequences of you loosing a match are close to zero. So you get a junk box less and maybe drop a place, but who cares? With the league, you at least have fought for your team in a meaningful way. Put in a ranking and some reward for guilds, not individual players only, and we have the people that want to grab for glory on the wvw maps and the people that want to bandwaggon of the maps and they can go to greener grounds. A win for anyone.
b) Break up servers and kill reset of WvW. Let guilds fight for and hold individual land, towers and fortresses until they loose them. For those of you who remember DAOC that worked realyl well and drew a quick response from your realm most of the time, even on the smaller servers.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Torolan

We used to have WvW Tournament Seasons.

Proposed New WvW Event

WvW – Weekly or Monthly Battle Leagues – Rewards based on WvW Home Globe Rank

Updated the proposal to indicate WvW – Breakout (with HoT release) – Removal Pending

j) Events – PvE & WvW

Current
PvE – Hero Challenges
PvE – Jumping Puzzles – Mistwrought Vault & Obsidian Sanctum
WvW – Breakout (with HoT release) – Removal Pending
WvW – Borderland PvP Blood Lust Buff
WvW – Eternal Battle Mercenaries
WWW – Tournament Seasons – Rewards based on WvW Home Globe Rank
WvW – Weekly Reset
WvW – Guild Missions (with HoT release) – See related – [Reward System-Guild-Player]

Being Proposed but Not Implemented

WvW – New Globe Launch Queue – New Globe launches once enough players (ANet to determine number) have paid gems in advance & selected a matching Time Zone. Players are immediately charged gems & moved to new Globe when it does launch. Percent to launch & matching Time Zone displayed to players.

WvW – Weekly Reset for Geographic Theaters of War are assigned different reset times based on Time Zone

WvW – Weekly or Monthly Battle Leagues – Rewards based on WvW Home Globe Rank

WvW – Annual Home Globe Theater’s Time Zone Re-Election by WvW Vote Ballot NPC

Thanks for the feedback.

Diku

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

Some good stuff right there

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

We did not have a league. We had seasons as Diku rightfully stated. That may be synonymus for some of you, but it is not.

To further explain, let me take football for example. The Premier League has some teams anyone knows, as do the Primera Division, the Bundesliga and the Seria A.
Bayern Munich is the record champion of Germany and has repeatedly won the world series.
Real Madrid has arguably the best individual players in the world.
Juventus Turin and Manchester United are both record champions and have century old traditions and are loved around the world.

We do have servers instead of clubs, but none of them has a tangible legacy over the memory of single people.
Ask a true hardcore fan of any of the clubs mentioned and they will tell you with pride and on the spot who played for Manchester form 1982 to 1988 as substitute defender. Ask anyone who won the first season of WvW and most people will vaguely point in the direction of SFR and know nothing more about it.
Do you think anyone would remember just any team of them if they played just for fun for 10/12th of the year and have an irregular season then and when? Football would be as popular as featherweight boxing if this was the case.

The whole idea of a reset is also nonsense. So what if a big guild holds a tower 24/7? It is a monumental siege to wrestle the fortress away from them then! Epic, legendary stuff. Give guilds some coins to spend in Guild Halls only if they hold or conquer stuff in wvw, and see how the servers will fill up quickly with idealists and small time guilds that will fanatically defend their tower or camp because they actually fight for something. Punish them harshly if they try to make obvious deals with enemies to hold ground and openly brand the guild as cowards and collaborators.

Use volunteer storytellers. There are many people that love to chronicle. Publish interviews on your home Page, not on some shady youtube account or with twitter or some place like that so that casuals can see them without taking part in twitter or stuff like that.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@WvW Community

I’d like to see Reset returned to Friday night…with the following Time Zone Label mechanic being proposed:

WvW – Weekly Reset for Geographic Theaters of War are assigned different reset times based on Time Zone

@Torolan

You just made me realize that I needed to adjust a major component to this proposal as it relates to Tournaments.

Globe Limit being set to Zero will allow ANet to create the WvW Seasonal SuperBowl Tournament by pausing the battles in anticipation for the Big Battle between the Top 2 Globes.

Updated – Limit can vary from 0-3 Globes. Zero for Tournaments

Please…Reboot the Base Map Mechanic – Transform Servers into Globes

Change Base Map Mechanic & Allow Individual Player Picked Globe Match-Ups

Change Base Map Mechanic

Players choose 1 Globe to represent

Each Globe owns 4 maps in WvW

Players can enter any Globe from a list of all NA and EU Globes

Players will have a limit on how many globes they can enter per week

ANet can change in a single setting how many Globes that ALL players can enter per week to prevent un-fair matches, and to stop players from trying to game the system

Limit can vary from 0-3 Globes. Zero for Tournaments

Home team is shown in random order the Top 3 Enemies attacking them to help them target who to attack

It’s called Guesting.

Next time you logon – Click [ World Selection ] Button – Pick a Different Home World – Click [ Guest ] Button.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

How about: Scrap servers entirely, and randomly assign all players to one of 3 factions (red, green, blue). Then, give each player one free transfer so that guilds/friends can move to be together. After that, charge a fee (equal to the average transfer fee now) to switch factions, but double the fee if moving to a 5%+ higher population faction, and make the transfer free if moving to the least-populated faction. All new accounts would automatically begin on the lowest-population faction (with 1 free transfer).

Then, WvW can be on a megaserver with overflows (which also contribute to faction points scored). Players can taxi to a BL/overflow (as they do in PvE) to be with their friends/guildmates. Week-long faction tournaments then would become incredibly fun!

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Daddar

Megaserver & Server based solutions are 2 concepts that are exact polar opposites with a lot of strong emotional & vocal supporters to both sides.

Because these 2 solutions are so highly emotionally charged…arguments will spark if left un-checked & will ruin this discussion that is really focused on the Server based solution.

I’d suggest you create a Topic Thread to discuss a Megaserver solution in detail, and not here please. Really looking forward to your New Topic thread.

Thank you for your feedback though.

Yours truly,
Diku

in WvW

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Fair enough! I have no intention of hijacking your thread, Diku.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

in WvW

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

I would bring up the obvious point that this would completely shatter existing WvW communities built around their home worlds… but that’s already been kinda happening for the past few months anyway. As a solo pug, I would love the option to have more freedom of who I fight with and against each week to WvW. This sort of change would make me want to play WvW again, and there would be no more “oh we’re against higher tier servers, another week getting crushed better do some pve…”. I hope they’re heading in this direction with their current WvW overhaul anyways.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Mal

You might be right…existing WvW Communities will get Reset, but would hopefully re-form around the best Time Zone & Language for each Globe’s population.

Population Reboot

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe

Time Zone/Language Label

Also, there is a Language mechanic to help properly Label a Community that forms for each Globe

New Players before choosing a Globe…are shown the Language preference distribution of its population…primary & secondary Languages of players for the Globe

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Some really interesting ideas here. Definitely worth the devs’ attention.

in WvW

Posted by: Zen Later.6475

Zen Later.6475

Diku you deserve to be applauded for your passion. Not only that, ideas for positive change. Not just ideas, but a fleshed out, point-by-point road map. You take the time to alert folks and even respond to feedback.

Thanks for your passionate dedication.

I just don’t agree with your proposed changes.

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Ashen
Hope you’re right & the dev’s take a closer look & consider this Server Based alternative in fixing our beloved WvW game mode.

@Zen Later
It’s always nice to have feedback that is positive. At least we both agree to disagree while being respectful of each other’s opinion. I sincerely hope you can find a Topic thread that you can join in support & discuss to your heart’s content.

Yours truly to the both of you,
Diku

in WvW

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

…WvW – New Globe Launch Queue – New Globe launches once enough players (ANet to determine number) have paid gems in advance & selected a matching Time Zone.

Im not paying gems to play wvw EVER. Sorry, I didnt read past that (on the basis thats a hard limit and so nothing said after would change my mind).

While you have some good ideas, a good idea for one is often a bad idea for another.

Personally I choose to play in off hours and if the “globes” came into play, then I would no doubt choose one to continue to be.

I would like to think many of the ideas have already been thrown around in the anet meetings (but, Ive had hope before and been left sad and disappointed – hello BLs)

Good luck with your thread though Diku.

(edited by thisisit.6954)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@thisisit

You did see the word FREE in the Main Proposal right?

Please…Reboot the Current Population – One Time Free Transfer

Proposed – WvW – New Globe Launch Queue Event…happens after this One Time Free Transfer to any Newly Transformed Globes.

Proposed – WvW – New Globe Launch Queue Event.

This WvW Event shouldn’t happen very often imho.

The reason behind this event was to allow players from multiple Globes that for whatever reason wanted to create a New Globe Community of their own.

It’s an automated way to allow a New Globe to be “Born” if enough players are willing to launch the event.

The settlers would need to come from existing Globes that are willing to pay gems to setup a New Globe.

I guess it was a safety valve to give players an option to Create a New Globe when they’re sick of any existing Globe Communities.

Also, allowing players to create a New Globe was supposed to reinforce & strengthen the Globe Pride concept to fuel the Passion behind Staunch or Bitter Rivalries between Globes.

I’m still thinking on how to allow Old Globes to be retired, but haven’t found a solution that would prevent players from abusing it. So the only solution has been to leave existing Old Globes in place without retiring them.

The above WvW Event does not in any way stop you from fighting on your Home Globe or Enemy Globes.

You do have a restriction to the number of Enemy Globes that you can visit by a Weekly number set by ANet.

Appreciate the feedback…has me thinking again.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Swagger.1459

@Mal

You might be right…existing WvW Communities will get Reset, but would hopefully re-form around the best Time Zone & Language for each Globe’s population.

Population Reboot

Time Zone/Language Label

“Existing communities will get reset”… So your plan resets communities and so called “server pride” anyway… Yet keeps us in the same individual server failing model….

Yeah… If you can’t see the flaws of your own system and arguments I’m really sorry

If you can’t distinguish fans from players I’m sorry too…

Your entire model fails to help resurrect wvw in any way and would be a complete waste of resources at this point unfortunately…

Your solutions are not realistic and don’t address the main problems we have already seen over 3 YEARS… They cause more problems and headache for zero net gain…

Einstein has a famous phrase… It applies to your globe idea…

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

“Existing communities will get reset"…and allowed to reform around Time Zone & Language Labels.

All Players are allowed to return to their Old Server transformed into New Globe.

If Players want to re-stack to their Old Server…they can.

This preserves “Server Pride”.

Players are allowed to have an individual choice on picking a Team to fight for with a Server Based Model.

The Reset is a one time opportunity for the player to decide for themselves which Globe they want to call Home.

After this Reset…it’ll cost gems to move around.

This model really depends on one major thing.

Weekly Globe Limit.

It’s called Guesting.

Fans are the players in WvW…if they pick the right Team to play for…they might get a chance to play in the WvW SuperBowl themselves.

Please don’t try to argue that the NFL SuperBowl isn’t a highly lucrative Team Sport…you’ll only make yourself look silly…imho.

You’re not Einstein…and you’re applying his phrase incorrectly imho.

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Diku.2546

@Swagger

It does address the main problems we have already seen over 3 YEARS.

I guess you didn’t read the Answer to FAQ #5.

It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s better than our Current Tier Base Map Mechanic imho.

5) How do you propose to stop a single super stacked and strong Globe from buying up guilds & dominating all Globes?

Players can continue to Globe stack if they want. Powerful Guilds can continue to try to dominate the Top 3 Rank WvW positions

ANet would probably adjust the Weekly Globe limit that players can visit to 1 for the week to force the #1 Ranked NA & EU Globes to become the King of the Hill

If Weekly Globe limit is set to 1. Once a player attacks a Globe

That Specific Chosen Globe is the only Globe that the player will be able to attack for the whole week…until the next Weekly Globe Reset occurs

A very large Guild could hold hostage the Top 3 Ranked Globes, but the New Base Mechanic will at least allow all the Lower Ranked Globes to attack them

Current Base Map Mechanic does not even allow the Lowest Ranked World to attack the #1 Ranked WvW World

Lower Ranked Globes earn more points attacking Higher Ranked Globes

Higher Ranked Globes earn less points attacking Lower Ranked Globes

Home Globe Team will be shown the 3 Top Globes attacking in a random order to provide targeting

King of Hill Buff – Bottom 3 WvW Ranked Worlds get an automatic buff when attacking any Top WvW Ranked World’s Home Globes. Cross Global Theaters of War attacks also trigger Buff

If ANet has to enforce a Weekly Globe Limit of 1 Globe

Severely stacked Globes will be exposed to attack from All Globes, but their armies would be forced to divide itself in retaliation attacks along multiple Globe fronts

Bottom 3 Ranked Globes actually always get an Automatic Buff for attacking any Top 3 Globes

Top 3 Ranked Globes really don’t benefit from attacking the Bottom 3 Ranked Globes

Nothing will prevent all Globes from picking 1 Globe to attack, but given the mechanic that encourages players to visit 0-3 Globes…you can be pretty sure…somebody will decide to attack a different Globe to raise their Home Globe’s Rank over the other Globes

Globes Base design is to encourage Local & International Communities to form

Globe identity encourages a Strong Sense of Community & Hard Fought Rivalries imho

This is a long term solution that encourages Local & International WvW Communities to form & become established…then nurtured

Over time…Communities will be born, grow up, age, and die…the cycle of life

Both NA & EU #1 Ranked Globes would earn less for being the King of the Hill…because nobody is above them in Rank

Players from EU Globes can attack NA Globes by visiting them

Players from NA Globes can attack EU Globes by visiting them

The Globe based design allows players from all 24 NA Globes & 27 EU Globes to move fluidly across all Globes

Current Base Map Mechanic Does Not Allow players to fluidly fight across all World Servers

It’s more fun to be able to fight in any Globe of your choice for the week

Current Base Map Mechanic has you typically fighting the same Server in the same Tier for weeks…if not months…over and over again

The only restriction to being the 0-3 Globe Limit for players. This number that can be adjusted to 1 Globe if necessary by ANet to prevent un-fair matches & to keep players from gaming the system

Players can choose to fight in any NA & EU Globe

WvW is open 24/7….and now…players can find a Globe that is active…even if it’s Night Time for their Home Globe…because it’s definitely Day Time on an International Globe to that player

(edited by Diku.2546)