Remove Ascended from WvWvW

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

no offence you keep bringing dota up but last i checked dota was not 500vs500vs500 with a random number of people joining either of the 3 teams where you could build siege engines that do many times the damage of a single player and effect 5x as many targets as any AOE attack any of those 1500 can do etc.. Iron branch makes a difference in dota cause in dota you’re faced with a balanced fight. no +1 to any attribute is going to make a difference when you are likely to find yourself in a fight where you’re outnumbered or out classed because they got more siege weapons etc…

Dota is closer to SPvP then WvW and their like you correctly state stats matter more so everyone is given the same stats. WvW isnt that not even close though

All you are doing is bringing up red herrings. “lol there are lots of factors at play in zerg wars” does not refute the fact that having better stuff means you are stronger. That DOTA is “balanced” is irrelevant – because a single Iron Branch or a Tread switch into strength is the difference between getting ganked and escaping with 5 HP.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

… Because GW2 isn’t as fun since the ascended weapons came out, and since they nerf my favorite profession every time (thief).

Omg your going to make me cry. Sniff sniff bwawaawaawawwaww!

in WvW

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I see no issue with ascended gear in WvW since there is nothing anywhere that indicates one server would have better access to ascended gear than any other.

What next? Remove buff foods?

in WvW

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

i can’t imagine a scenario in WvW where i would die and think “man, i would’ve won if only he didn’t have ascended armor!.”

It would be more like “man, i timed that dodge wrong” or “man, i would’ve had him if that other guy didn’t join the fight” or “man, i shouldn’t be playing my elementalist.”

i understand the concern, but at the same time, couldn’t you just say, “its not fair those other guys have exotic gear against my full set of rares! I shouldn’t be forced to get exotic gear!”

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

i can’t imagine a scenario in WvW where i would die and think “man, i would’ve won if only he didn’t have ascended armor!.”

It would be more like “man, i timed that dodge wrong” or “man, i would’ve had him if that other guy didn’t join the fight” or “man, i shouldn’t be playing my elementalist.”

i understand the concern, but at the same time, couldn’t you just say, “its not fair those other guys have exotic gear against my full set of rares! I shouldn’t be forced to get exotic gear!”

You’ll learn your lesson once you start getting smoked by people who do approx 20% more damage in full ascended sets.

in WvW

Scrambles.2604

You’ll learn your lesson once you start getting smoked by people who do approx 20% more damage in full ascended sets.

haha, my lesson?? that i should stop playing WvW and whine about ascended weapons more on the forums?

even if it was the case that i got smoked by someone in full ascended, how often do you get to 1v1 in WvW on an even playing field, build’s balanced against each other, to where the only deciding factor of the battle is simply he had more power/crit dmg than me?

I mean that’s possible but that is probably < 1% of the encounters i have in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Nope. Not when my level 35 character in Fine (Blue) gear has beat plenty of ascended geared people who were also trying to beat me. Also I have never been in a fight with ascended geared, or even Exotic geared people that beat me to say they “smoked” me, they tend to be really close fights still, and I always figured out what I could have done better.

in WvW

eisberg.2379

haha, my lesson?? that i should stop playing WvW and whine about ascended weapons more on the forums?

even if it was the case that i got smoked by someone in full ascended, how often do you get to 1v1 in WvW on an even playing field, build’s balanced against each other, to where the only deciding factor of the battle is simply he had more power/crit dmg than me?

I mean that’s possible but that is probably < 1% of the encounters i have in WvW.

To be fair, I could easily say about 5% of the fights I have been in were 1vs1, seems to happen about 1 to 2 times per week on my level 35 that I WvWvW with.

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Nope. Not when my level 35 character in Fine (Blue) gear has beat plenty of ascended geared people who were also trying to beat me. Also I have never been in a fight with ascended geared, or even Exotic geared people that beat me to say they “smoked” me, they tend to be really close fights still, and I always figured out what I could have done better.

Nice anecdote. Too bad it’s irrelevant though.

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Who said anything about 1v1? If you’re group meets another group that happens to have the capability to deal 20% more damage, what do you think will happen?

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Who said anything about 1v1? If you’re group meets another group that happens to have the capability to deal 20% more damage, what do you think will happen?

What will happen? You’ll get a few more whiners on the forum.

in WvW

eisberg.2379

Depends. How many people on each side?
How well skilled are each side?
Are each side food buffed?
and probably so many other factors to think about.
Knowing the gear alone doesn’t determine the outcome.

Now in some very extremely rare situation that both sides are equally skilled, have equal number of players, have equal number of each class, have be equally traited and using the equal weapon configurations and skills configurations, but one side is fully ascended and the other side not, then yeah the chances are great it the fully ascended side will win. But the chances of that scenarios actually happening is going to be pretty close to nil.

in WvW

eisberg.2379

Of course it is, because it slaps in the face of “gear beats skill because of ascended” /rolleyes

in WvW

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

If you want full and truly balanced pvp go to tPVP, WvW isn’t in any way supposed to be balanced. They’ve said this.

Differences in gold, gear, time, and willingness to blow through consumables all change the WvW balance landscape. Those with the time, money, or will are gonna have the advantage over those that don’t.

And that’s how it was marketed.

in WvW

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Ascended items have such a little effect in wvw lol, if you lose a 1v1 or whatever it’s because you messed up or you’re just bad. The chances that the few extra stats could have made a difference is really kittening low lol, be realistic here, also they’re pretty easy to get anyway, trinkets especially.

Really ?

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Of course it is, because it slaps in the face of “gear beats skill because of ascended” /rolleyes

Post a video, otherwise stop citing your personal experience.

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Ascended items have such a little effect in wvw lol, if you lose a 1v1 or whatever it’s because you messed up or you’re just bad. The chances that the few extra stats could have made a difference is really kittening low lol, be realistic here, also they’re pretty easy to get anyway, trinkets especially.

Really ?

If it doesn’t make a difference then why are people wasting their lives grinding away for it?

in WvW

eisberg.2379

Really ?

If it doesn’t make a difference then why are people wasting their lives grinding away for it?

Because they can and like every bit of +stats they can get, even if it is a little and doesn’t really matter nearly as much as skill. Also, what can be considered as grinding is very subjective. What you call “wasting their lives grinding” another can call it just playing the game doing the things they enjoy and having fun. I don’t have any ascended, not even level 80 yet, but I researched the what it takes to get them, and I can say that I will get the ascended gear buy doing the fun things I am doing now. Sure it will take time, but i will be having fun playing the game and I will end up with ascended gear/weapons by just playing the game and having fun, therefore it is not a grind to get that stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Really ?

You do realize ascended tier have been here since November 16th, 2012 right?
Thats almost 1 year. While were at it why not just delete all but white gear?
Its unfair to new players right? so lets just delete that and wvw ranks too.
See how stupid that sounds?
It doesn’t matter if you agree or not ascended is here to stay. I just hope this is it. No more tiers and no legendary trinket/armor.
When colin were asked if there was going to be more tier he just said “I really hope not”. If they do that i will quit gw2 forever. Just like 90% of my in-game friends did.

in WvW

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

Really ?

Because they can and like every bit of +stats they can get, even if it is a little and doesn’t really matter nearly as much as skill. Also, what can be considered as grinding is very subjective. What you call “wasting their lives grinding” another can call it just playing the game doing the things they enjoy and having fun. I don’t have any ascended, not even level 80 yet, but I researched the what it takes to get them, and I can say that I will get the ascended gear buy doing the fun things I am doing now. Sure it will take time, but i will be having fun playing the game and I will end up with ascended gear/weapons by just playing the game and having fun, therefore it is not a grind to get that stuff.

Do you work for the Ministry of Truth?

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Really ?

You do realize ascended tier have been here since November 16th, 2012 right?
Thats almost 1 year. While were at it why not just delete all but white gear?
Its unfair to new players right? so lets just delete that and wvw ranks too.
See how stupid that sounds?
It doesn’t matter if you agree or not ascended is here to stay. I just hope this is it. No more tiers and no legendary trinket/armor.
When colin were asked if there was going to be more tier he just said “I really hope not”. If they do that i will quit gw2 forever. Just like 90% of my in-game friends did.

That’s not what people asked for.

Instead, they are looking for ways to minimize the impact of the awful ascended gear in a way that doesn’t entirely eliminate it from play because, no matter how terrible the decision to introduce it in the first place, it’s “here to stay”.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

As stated before countless times GW2 is skill over gear. The skill of the player will always outweigh the gear that they are wearing. Understanding your class and that of your opponent allows you to plan and act according to the given situation. I have won countless battles just because my opponent underestimates my ranger. If I lose in a 1v1 fight in WvW I chalk it up to skill not to what gear they are wearing.

Ascended as a whole should be left alone and not downscaled to exotic level. My Ranger doesn’t have any ascended weapons so you can’t say I am just trying to keep my power up. By saying you want to scale down Ascended means that you lack skill.

Lets bring this up shall we. Why not power everything down to Masterwork lvl? Why Exotic? Just because you were able to obtain your exotic and classify it as easy what gives you the right to be stronger than a person more casual than you that can’t get an exotic set yet? The same logic applies using your arguments against ascended.

I can take all your arguments and use them to justify lowering it to masterworks which I have a feeling you would not want. Hell I can take all your arguments and justify to lowering it all to fine rarity.

Leave ascended alone or else your argument fails cause it caters only to what you want by ignoring the player base below you. I know a few people with lvl80s who are wearing masterworks only. What gives you the right to have anything higher than them? Just cause you played more?

Ascended weapons and soon to be armour should be left as is till you can come up with a more valid argument than its imbalanced. WvW is never balanced around the player but around the servers. Plus I have 3 ascended weapons so I know how hard they are to gain. They aren’t hard at all. I got one from a drop, and the other 2 are crafted. If you claim they are hard to gain than like I said in another post your doing it wrong and rethink how your doing it.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I love how everyone says skill > gear until you try to take theirs away.

Gear > skill.

Just take on any uplevel ever.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Yes please yes! Remove it!

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Really ?

Multiple reasons… and all of them wrong.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Pariah.8506

Gear > skill.

Yeah! Skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gear

LFG FULL ZERKER GEAR CHECK OR KIK

in WvW

Scrambles.2604

Gear > skill.

yeah and PvE is the same thing as WvW >_>

in WvW

Pariah.8506

Gear > skill.

It certainly seems so the way Anet is treating it.

in WvW

Scrambles.2604

Gear > skill.

It certainly seems so the way Anet is treating it.

i’m not even sure how to respond to this. i think i just got out-trolled. gg

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Ascended weapons and soon to be armour should be left as is till you can come up with a more valid argument than its imbalanced. WvW is never balanced around the player but around the servers. Plus I have 3 ascended weapons so I know how hard they are to gain. They aren’t hard at all. I got one from a drop, and the other 2 are crafted. If you claim they are hard to gain than like I said in another post your doing it wrong and rethink how your doing it.

Enlighten everyone how they are doing it wrong when not every has the same amount of play time or interests in other aspects of the game that could yield ascended items. This argument is a lot like peeing in the when. The only outcome is that your leg or pants will get wet…

There is a reason why these items are not allowed in the formal PvP maps.

Upon release of ascended gear it didn’t matter. A ring here, earring there, wasn’t so huge of a deal. Add in a back piece and weapons, well, stats increased yet again. Come Q1 or there about you now have armor. Now how do those stats start to look?

Now let us factor in the game play triad. There is PvE, there restricted PvP in the form of s/t PvP, and lastly there is the free for all WvW. PvE it doesn’t really matter those stats because there is a group of people and one can learn the static content. There are people pugging 50 level fractals after all. There is the free for all WvW battles in which case hiding behind a zerg gear doesn’t matter. 100% agree with you or anyone in regards to that argument. However, not everyone hides behind a zerg and prefers to go alone or run in small tactical teams. Roaming to control or deny bloodlust comes to mind. New edge of madness maps could be another. Flipping supply camps or stopping supply routes or yaks.

Stats do matter over time and ascended gear isn’t easy to obtain. That is another debate which I really don’t care to do here in this thread. However, if you look at the aspect of play, and options within WvW, one can factually argue that ascended gear changes the battle. If nothing else it does give you an edge just because 1 + 1 = 2.

Isn’t math a wonderful thing?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Enlighten everyone how they are doing it wrong when not every has the same amount of play time or interests in other aspects of the game that could yield ascended items. This argument is a lot like peeing in the when. The only outcome is that your leg or pants will get wet…

Upon release of ascended gear it didn’t matter. A ring here, earring there, wasn’t so huge of a deal. Add in a back piece and weapons, well, stats increased yet again. Come Q1 or there about you now have armor. Now how do those stats start to look?

Now let us factor in the game play triad. There is PvE, there restricted PvP in the form of s/t PvP, and lastly there is the free for all WvW. PvE it doesn’t really matter those stats because there is a group of people and one can learn the static content. There are people pugging 50 level fractals after all. There is the free for all WvW battles in which case hiding behind a zerg gear doesn’t matter. 100% agree with you or anyone in regards to that argument. However, not everyone hides behind a zerg and prefers to go alone or run in small tactical teams. Roaming to control or deny bloodlust comes to mind. New edge of madness maps could be another. Flipping supply camps or stopping supply routes or yaks.

Stats do matter over time and ascended gear isn’t easy to obtain. That is another debate which I really don’t care to do here in this thread. However, if you look at the aspect of play, and options within WvW, one can factually argue that ascended gear changes the battle. If nothing else it does give you an edge just because 1 + 1 = 2.

Yeah, but didn’t you read this thread? Ascended gear doesn’t matter, it makes no difference, and 1+1=1.

They want it so badly even though it makes “no difference” because WvW isn’t “balanced.” It’s hilarious.

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

Are you also aware that PVP gear is completely different from PVE gear? It doesn’t even have stats without the runes. Also, there is no earrings or rings. Backpacks don’t have stats and are only for show. So of course there is no ascended in PVP just cause there is no true armour rarity there in general. Which destroys your first argument.

As stated I said it in another post. Look through my post history it wont be hard to find. Armour has yet to be told on how much it till take to get. If it is anything like weapons it won’t take long. The longest and hardest point was getting to 500 crafting but once there ascended weapons are easy to get. Hell right now I am working on getting another 3 weapons just cause I feel like it.

Your argument for ascended still fails thou. What if a person with masterworks armour and weapons decides to roam? Why should he have a disadvantage over someone in rare or exotics? Your same argument with different values. If you say cause exotic is easy to get than your argument really fails as to some who play less it isn’t easy to get. Come up with a different argument cause the numbers between masterworks and exotic is greater than exotic to ascended.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

Yeah, but didn’t you read this thread? Ascended gear doesn’t matter, it makes no difference, and 1+1=1.

They want it so badly even though it makes “no difference” because WvW isn’t “balanced.” It’s hilarious.

Ok lets lower your exotics to masterworks to be on par with some other players. Cause it makes no difference and WvW isn’t balanced. It would make it more balanced and more on par with everyone. How you like invalidating your exotics to masterworks level?

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Ok lets lower your exotics to masterworks to be on par with some other players. Cause it makes no difference and WvW isn’t balanced. It would make it more balanced and more on par with everyone. How you like invalidating your exotics to masterworks level?

I believe that gear DOES make a difference in WvW and would help to balance WvW. I don’t see the need to make it worse.

I don’t care if you scale down my gear to fine quality, as long as it happens to everyone else. But your argument really doesn’t work because exotics are trivial to get and they were supposed to be a step up from masterwork and that was it. Again, they are TRIVIAL to get. Drop $20, buy some gold, and get a full set.

in WvW

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Since hardcore WvWers are such top tier pvp players it won’t make any difference as they should have no problem dumpstering the ascended pve bads who venture into their game-mode, right?

That’s what I’m thinking.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

I believe that gear DOES make a difference in WvW and would help to balance WvW. I don’t see the need to make it worse.

I don’t care if you scale down my gear to fine quality, as long as it happens to everyone else. But your argument really doesn’t work because exotics are trivial to get and they were supposed to be a step up from masterwork and that was it. Again, they are TRIVIAL to get. Drop $20, buy some gold, and get a full set.

My argument does work cause I know 9 people who don’t have exotics yet. The point is that not everyone has exotics and most of the people here complaining about ascended wear exotics and wouldn’t like it if they were dropped below to match other users. my argument brought everyone’s argument against ascended together. Such as one person posted about casuals not being able to get ascended so I brought in masterworks which is used by even more casual players cause they can’t afford ascended.

My other point being that if you want to scale down Ascended it should be scaled down to masterworks level rarity. That way everyone becomes on par with the most casual players and people in exotics or rare will also suffer the same fate. People in Ascended is a minority, lvl80s in masterworks is a minority, people in exotics or rares lvl80 are the majority. 2 opposite sides of a bell curve. Goal is to eliminate the bell curve not just the upper portion of the bell curve.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

in WvW

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Since this whole thread is hasty generalizations…

How kitten hurt would the anti-ascended crowd be if they got their wish and everything was evenly set like spvp and they still sucked? I mean, right now you can use the “well he had ascended gear!” as a defense mechanism. When you still get thrown in the dumpster on an even field what will happen to your ego then?

No, I think you guys are best off not finding out that the emperor has no clothes. The reality of the situation might be too upsetting for you.

Ah, there’s the DnT attitude I’ve come to expect. Yes, we all sucketh majorly. However, I would rather know that I suck for certain. Who knows it may improve the community as all of us bads will quit the game and leave it pristine for the rest of you.

Edit: Also if ANet didn’t insist that I grind out the same kitten ascended weapon for each of my alts, I wouldn’t give a kitten. I always just have 1 main.

The difference is, I don’t claim to be good at pvp, but I am fairly experienced in spvp. But plenty of WvW’ers (some of whom are QQing in this thread) do claim to be good. Based on my admittedly limited experience in WvW (like 10 hours a month) I can assure you that most WvWer’s are pretty terrible.

So I can definitely call them bad without claiming to be good myself.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

Since it failed to edit my post i will do it this way. From anecdotal evidence gear doesn’t make a difference. My lvl30 mesmer in masterworks beat a lvl80 mesmer in exotics without losing 50% hp. He had better gear and everything but lost due to difference in skill.

It’s impossible to scientifically test this as players skill changes over time and are situational. The best evidence we have is anecdotal and is what we have to go off of. I can easily make a controlled test that can test this, but the results of the test would be deceptive. Since having 2 people fight using the same gear then giving the loser the better gear would prove nothing. Since the loser lost he may have gained insight in how to counter his opponent. His skill increased where as the winner might get kitteny the next fight and lose to decrease in skill.

So best evidence of skill > gear is through anecdotal evidence as it shows specific situations where gear should have had a clear advantage but failed to deliver said advantage.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

Since this whole thread is hasty generalizations…

How kitten hurt would the anti-ascended crowd be if they got their wish and everything was evenly set like spvp and they still sucked? I mean, right now you can use the “well he had ascended gear!” as a defense mechanism. When you still get thrown in the dumpster on an even field what will happen to your ego then?

No, I think you guys are best off not finding out that the emperor has no clothes. The reality of the situation might be too upsetting for you.

Ah, there’s the DnT attitude I’ve come to expect. Yes, we all sucketh majorly. However, I would rather know that I suck for certain. Who knows it may improve the community as all of us bads will quit the game and leave it pristine for the rest of you.

Edit: Also if ANet didn’t insist that I grind out the same kitten ascended weapon for each of my alts, I wouldn’t give a kitten. I always just have 1 main.

The difference is, I don’t claim to be good at pvp, but I am fairly experienced in spvp. But plenty of WvW’ers (some of whom are QQing in this thread) do claim to be good. Based on my admittedly limited experience in WvW (like 10 hours a month) I can assure you that most WvWer’s are pretty terrible.

So I can definitely call them bad without claiming to be good myself.

I have to agree with you on this one. From what I seen in WvW most players do not know the capabilities of their opponent class and take stupid risks. Such as one of my most favorite way to kill people is luring them to a cliff and point blank shot them off of it and watch as they fall to their deaths. I have done that trick over 100 times (10 times to the same bloody warrior…. when will they ever learn).

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Are you also aware that PVP gear is completely different from PVE gear? It doesn’t even have stats without the runes. Also, there is no earrings or rings. Backpacks don’t have stats and are only for show. So of course there is no ascended in PVP just cause there is no true armour rarity there in general. Which destroys your first argument.

As stated I said it in another post. Look through my post history it wont be hard to find. Armour has yet to be told on how much it till take to get. If it is anything like weapons it won’t take long. The longest and hardest point was getting to 500 crafting but once there ascended weapons are easy to get. Hell right now I am working on getting another 3 weapons just cause I feel like it.

Your argument for ascended still fails thou. What if a person with masterworks armour and weapons decides to roam? Why should he have a disadvantage over someone in rare or exotics? Your same argument with different values. If you say cause exotic is easy to get than your argument really fails as to some who play less it isn’t easy to get. Come up with a different argument cause the numbers between masterworks and exotic is greater than exotic to ascended.

I’m in no way attacking you sudden, just a friendly debate – trust me.

I am fully aware of the delta’s in regards to stats per area of play. I’m also aware of scaled players. The debate isn’t about when one chooses to enter WvW but one of stat inflation from gear. To complicate it (which we may agree to disagree) further is that WvW “is not” only about the mass battle. It is also composed of those who elect to go solo, tactical, or in small war bands. In those formats of play stats come into play.

I would agree with the argument if it was merely 1 point. However, it isn’t and each new piece adds up.

So let me ask a question. Having PvE gear in WvW adds what exactly?

If its no big deal then why does Arena Net balance traits around s/t PvP and PvE?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Since it failed to edit my post i will do it this way. From anecdotal evidence gear doesn’t make a difference. My lvl30 mesmer in masterworks beat a lvl80 mesmer in exotics without losing 50% hp. He had better gear and everything but lost due to difference in skill.

It’s impossible to scientifically test this as players skill changes over time and are situational. The best evidence we have is anecdotal and is what we have to go off of. I can easily make a controlled test that can test this, but the results of the test would be deceptive. Since having 2 people fight using the same gear then giving the loser the better gear would prove nothing. Since the loser lost he may have gained insight in how to counter his opponent. His skill increased where as the winner might get kitteny the next fight and lose to decrease in skill.

So best evidence of skill > gear is through anecdotal evidence as it shows specific situations where gear should have had a clear advantage but failed to deliver said advantage.

Terrible argument. Those with better gear have an advantage from their stats being bigger. If they lose to someone with worse gear it’s because their skill level is so low that the stats advantage wasn’t enough for them to win.

Skill level and stats advantage are two completely different things.

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

I’m in no way attacking you sudden, just a friendly debate – trust me.

I am fully aware of the delta’s in regards to stats per area of play. I’m also aware of scaled players. The debate isn’t about when one chooses to enter WvW but one of stat inflation from gear. To complicate it (which we may agree to disagree) further is that WvW “is not” only about the mass battle. It is also composed of those who elect to go solo, tactical, or in small war bands. In those formats of play stats come into play.

I would agree with the argument if it was merely 1 point. However, it isn’t and each new piece adds up.

So let me ask a question. Having PvE gear in WvW adds what exactly?

If its no big deal then why does Arena Net balance traits around s/t PvP and PvE?

Lol never said you were attacking me.

As I pointed out in a post (that came out after this one you quoted) the point that I was making (which directly responds to what you are already asking in this post).

WvW is about PvPvE that exists in other games such as WoW. Anet wanted to take a slightly different path with it thou. It is a design choice. Also, PvE gear in WvW allows for greater flexibility compared to the rigidness of the PvP gear. There are large aspects of PvE within WvW which is why it makes sense to have PvE gear instead of PvP gear. Basically a design choice that makes WvW unique in regards to other games.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Suddenflame.2601

Terrible argument. Those with better gear have an advantage from their stats being bigger. If they lose to someone with worse gear it’s because their skill level is so low that the stats advantage wasn’t enough for them to win.

Skill level and stats advantage are two completely different things.

But yet we have seen evidence (on many occasions) that even with a massive stat advantage people losing. Skill advantage outweighs gear advantage. It is also highly improbable to find 2 players in the same skill level to test if gear really has an advantage.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Thing is ascended weapons or not you’ll still spent those 5 months playing the same thing! Thats not counting that you’re likely to get ascended weapon drops too in those 5 months which might save you a month in an instant.

1. I would spend those 5 months drastically differently (and more enjoyably) if not for ascended weapons.
2. I have killed Tequatl many times, have killed hundreds of bosses, WvW lords etc and have not had 1 ascended drop. I have guildies in the same boat.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

WvW ISNT FAIR.
this is why i dont understand these threads
If someone has money and people running supply they can put 20 arrow carts in a keep/castle and blot out the sun.
They can buy trays of the best foods for every single person in their zerg

Its not a tournament
If you want balanced stats, go to spvp.

WvW is about fighting players with EVERYTHING you have earned.
your guild
your skills
your crafts
your random players.

If you want to say the aquisition of dragonite is not good in WvW, ok thats fine. This can be improved, but if you are saying people shouldnt have progression, i think your looking at the wrong mode.

btw, time gating is circumvented with ascended crafting, all the materials that are time gated can be bought

Why do i want my ascended? because fights arent fair in WvW, i ve been jumped by 20 dudes, focus fired, double teamed, chain stunned/immobilized. I aint seen a fair fight in 100 years, so why am i going to put down my best weapons, so as to make my disadvantage (numbers) more of an advantage for my enemy? Why isnt anyone nerfing the fact that the other day there were about 12 from my server on a whole map?
go die with honor to a superior arrow carts, or a zerg, ill keep the few ascended i made with my own hands.

in WvW

phys.7689

Thing is ascended weapons or not you’ll still spent those 5 months playing the same thing! Thats not counting that you’re likely to get ascended weapon drops too in those 5 months which might save you a month in an instant.

1. I would spend those 5 months drastically differently (and more enjoyably) if not for ascended weapons.
2. I have killed Tequatl many times, have killed hundreds of bosses, WvW lords etc and have not had 1 ascended drop. I have guildies in the same boat.

you dont need 5 months.
get your craft to 500 then look for these on the trading post
http://www.gw2db.com/items/81383-deldrimor-steel-ingot-s <-deldrimor steel ingots 4g ea
http://www.gw2db.com/items/81381-spiritwood-plank-s <— spiritwood planks 4 g ea
http://www.gw2db.com/items/81343-beigarths-knight-inscription-s <—the main peice 40 gold

make a vision crystal and your done.

if you want to save some gold make the inscription buying the ingots planks and other materials.

vision crystal you get from keeps/towers, the only prob is dragonite. But thats not a problem with ascended, its a problem with dragonite aquisition. Also, my friend got an ascended weapon box from a rank up chest sooo dont need to do tequatl, and another from a champ bag, so dont need to do tequatl

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

You guys have fun then.

I honestly don’t understand why people who want vertical progression and power creep came to Guild Wars 2 of all games. There are several other games out there that would meet your needs.

I think ANet lost a lot of their fans they gained through GW1 by making this move. I certainly won’t be playing WvW AT ALL because of ascended gear.

in WvW

Posted by: AngryCat.4825

AngryCat.4825

Hey why dont we just remove ALL stats/buffs/gear/skills/traits/class mechanics from WvW and have everyone run around in underwear with a 1dps dagger and nothing else. I mean it would be balanced right?

Freakin’ bookahs have better underwear. NERF HUMANS.

Koia
Fort Aspenwood
“Oil down.” “Mortar down.” “Stupid arrow cart.”

in WvW

phys.7689

You guys have fun then.

I honestly don’t understand why people who want vertical progression and power creep came to Guild Wars 2 of all games. There are several other games out there that would meet your needs.

I think ANet lost a lot of their fans they gained through GW1 by making this move. I certainly won’t be playing WvW AT ALL because of ascended gear.

i dont love vertical progression either, but whether horizontal or vertical, but thats not really the issue here, the OP doesnt want progression, and he wants WvW to be fair. Its meant to not be fair. what part of 50 versus 10 people is fair? what part of 20 seige golems versus your door is balanced?

Even if they go horizontal, it would probably be skill/trait based. Those skills and traits will probably not be easy to obtain like the others were, because these would be endgame skills, and have to reflect being rewarded for high end activities. Hence along the lines of thinking of the OP they shouldnt be allowed in PVP because you have more build options than other players, and people would assume these skills are better.

The OPs beef is that people who play more/have more gold get an advantage in WvW, which has always been the case, and would still be the case whether that progression was horizontal or vertical.

in WvW

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

You guys have fun then.

Ascended gear doesn’t even give you that much of an advantage unless it’s literally a mirror match up with the same gear in ascended vs exotics. Even then a better player is still more than likely to win. Lets assume that it’s full exotics and then ascended trinkets and weapons. The difference in stats is so minimal at that point because lets face it. If it’s the same build and same skill level of players then it would matter. But not everyone is the same skill level and not everyone runs the same exact build.

Also WvW isn’t even PvP it’s PvE with other people getting in the way.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.