Suggestion: WvW Jobs

in WvW

Posted by: AquaBR.9250

AquaBR.9250

I was thinking: “What if you had a function, like a mastery, like a job, on WvW”.
You equip it like a espec maybe in a exclusive slot and BOOM! You have special utilities and traits. What im talking about?
Look:

Defender: They defend they’r allies with a giant shield or shield bubbles (or something else), the concept is that you keep behind them as they walk to the front line, you cant pass through they’r shield and it blocks projectiles but he takes the projectile damage (maybe or partially), they also have some resistense ans sustain traits.

Battle Mage: If you running a elemental, a condi necro or something alike, this is for you, increase all ground targeting range and radius and they do more damage. Basically
you’re the guys thats keep behind everyone using area spells.

Marksman: All your single target skills have high increased range, and a bit of damage maybe. Just imagine a line of marksmans on a wall or a back line (long bow rangers rifle engis and war) shooting at a high distance.

Médic: You can revive allies even in combat, you have increased healing power and when you get up a downed allie he starts with more HP and buffs. Also, you can heal special condition from…

Trapper: Can put special traps to slow down or bait enemy squads, some of them alert enemy location, some take supplies, some inflict special conditions that can only be removed by a médic (you have médic NPCs on keeps) like a poison that keeps you in combat or a small slow debuff. Works good with…

Scout: Can either follow enemy squads steps to see where they’re hitting next or stay next your squad watching for enemy ambushs while they storm a keep, they have a (maybe) perma out of combat stealth and area revealed, they can also see nearby enemies as red dots on minimap. Only another scout or a assassin can a scout, as they have a strong revealed skill, but you can also reveal them with normal profession skills.

Fighter: The front line warriors, they get increased resistence and damage the more enemies nearby and get a % of damage as healing (works good with that warrior and guard build with lots of blocks going berserk diving on enemy squads).

Builder: The only one who can build siege in combat, if a ally interact with siege site while in combat, they just drop they’r supplies on the siege site and when the build interact with it they use the supplies dropped there to build. They also have some improved siege use and build faster and more effectively.

Assassin: They can get on the enemy back line and kill the marksman or the commander, with a high backstab skill and a stealth that looks like a scout, they make the other guys need a trapper trapping around they’r back line to catch a assassin or a scout to warn them.

Bomber: Destroi siege faster, and alone without using any siege do a nice damage to walls and gates deploying bombs on them (but the bombs can be destroyed by enemies maybe?). You want some bombers on your squad so you take a keep more faster as they are a dps to buildings.

General: I was thinking a concept of a guy that keeps buffing allies and just a general presence make allies inspired and stronger, like a special buff like outnumbered, only used by the commander (and when them die… well… you’re not inspired anymore!)

Just imagine, the fighters fighting on front line, you look to your right a médic reviving a dead guy, back there a line of marksmans and battle mages, at they’r side a builder building some arrow carts that he will use after building it, and a scout keeping a eye on they back for any assassins while your assasins are trying to sneak on enemy backlines

In the other side of the map a small squad, some scouts following enemy squad and some trappers putting traps on they’r way to slow them down.

Those are supposed to be passives and utility skills, working like the ones you already have on WvW but more specific and more present on the mode, you still using your profession skills on this sistem, as it works good for you to be a druid/ele médic a thief/ranger trapper or scout and a engi builder or bomber as some profession traits may work with the job skills.

Sorry for bad english

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

No, this is out of scope given the perceived lack of resources on WvW’s development team. If I am wrong about that, then the issue is more for the balance team which already has problems in WvW.

Looking at your post history you are probably a new player to WvW, correct? Welcome to WvW, and I apologize for cynicism. Your suggestion feels hopeful, and I appreciate it. It’s just out of scope.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

AquaBR.9250

No, this is out of scope given the perceived lack of resources on WvW’s development team. If I am wrong about that, then the issue is more for the balance team which already has problems in WvW.

Looking at your post history you are probably a new player to WvW, correct? Welcome to WvW, and I apologize for cynicism. Your suggestion feels hopeful, and I appreciate it. It’s just out of scope.

No, i playing GW2 for 4 years now, the lack of resources is the reason of this post, resources suggestion, nothing is out of scope everyone is waiting for a big WvW patch with things like that, is very dumb to stay silent waiting for them to do something you want but they don’t know you want, we have to let them know what we want, if we dont ask for, is this way they are really not doing it

(edited by AquaBR.9250)

in WvW

Posted by: kappa.2036

kappa.2036

I really like these ideas, so refreshing
Right now I have a lot of unspent points … would be nice to have something like THIS to cover the role that i want in the mist war with each of my characters

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I don’t really understand what you want to accomplish with this idea? Is it meant so that when you enter WvW, in addition to your normal class, you also pick one of these as sort of a sub-class ? Because at first glance, they really look like “class descriptions”, but it didn’t sound like you wanted entirely new classes for WvW.

Anyways, each of these “classes” sounds very hard locked into what they do. As such, I’d say they go against the existing class design where classes can generally play in many different styles. It also strikes me as a bad idea to add more layers of “specializing” in things in WvW, which would/could make it even harder to get good fights in smaller scale, as there would be even more rock/scissor/paper in builds.

It sounds like you want the game to play more similar to the “holy trinity” style, where people have set roles in combat ?

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

AquaBR.9250

I don’t really understand what you want to accomplish with this idea? Is it meant so that when you enter WvW, in addition to your normal class, you also pick one of these as sort of a sub-class ? Because at first glance, they really look like “class descriptions”, but it didn’t sound like you wanted entirely new classes for WvW.

Anyways, each of these “classes” sounds very hard locked into what they do. As such, I’d say they go against the existing class design where classes can generally play in many different styles. It also strikes me as a bad idea to add more layers of “specializing” in things in WvW, which would/could make it even harder to get good fights in smaller scale, as there would be even more rock/scissor/paper in builds.

It sounds like you want the game to play more similar to the “holy trinity” style, where people have set roles in combat ?

I said, is like a specialization, you dont equip druid and them you have druid skills and become a healer? So… You already have most of what i’v said, but in a broke way, you have your weapon and ult skills as normal, this is not changing, you only get some more and some traits, simple, don’t change anything more, smaller scale fights will stay the same as you dont build siege or have the passives from high number of enemies around, btw smaller sclaes will be cooler as you’ll have that possibility of play as trapper or scout and have that scout team X scout team fights, i was describing what they can do in addition, not like they only do that, same way you can right now put your points on flame ram mastery and improve your FR habilities, you can be a bomber and atack on a squad encounter as normal, ve a defender and dont use your shield if not necessary, “i giving the skills, you use as you wish”, play the way you where playing before and choose one job that fits what you usually do so you can do it better

in WvW

AquaBR.9250

Anyways, each of these “classes” sounds very hard locked into what they do. As such, I’d say they go against the existing class design where classes can generally play in many different styles

But in WvW you dont play in any style, you just follow commander, build siege, defeat lord, follow build kill lord, the only thing you do is atack follow and build, where are the diferent play styles? They are when you can be a cool builder and manage siege or bomb some walls, watch your squad’s back and scream “INCOMING!”
We have some cool mecanics with traps and siege, but nobody kittening uses them, ans when they do is not that funny

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

^ WvW already act like this there just not directly classed as it.

i like conspect of this idea but i like it to be more put in to game like a trait tree then just more stuff like WvW rank up skill point.

an if anet was to put effort in to doing something like that i would like it not be added as a stranded to game but as more of a seasonal add to WvW Toury.

that way people who put in real time in WvW toury have OP stats vs making stat a standerd meta.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Anyways, each of these “classes” sounds very hard locked into what they do. As such, I’d say they go against the existing class design where classes can generally play in many different styles

But in WvW you dont play in any style, you just follow commander, build siege, defeat lord, follow build kill lord, the only thing you do is atack follow and build, where are the diferent play styles? They are when you can be a cool builder and manage siege or bomb some walls, watch your squad’s back and scream “INCOMING!”
We have some cool mecanics with traps and siege, but nobody kittening uses them, ans when they do is not that funny

I understand what you are saying, but the solution is for the devs to do some rework on professions and add more role options through new elites specs.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Most of these are already in-game. They’re called Professions.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Defender role sounds like a mobile shield gen. Imagine all the german monkeys when this thing gets real.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I would rather see more things to do that support your world than more unbalanced buffs. I don’t like this idea at all.

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

A lot of that seems like you’re talking about squad composition.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Just wanted to say that this is an interesting suggestion! The team is interested in feedback on this idea and will continue watching this thread. However, just because we are following this thread doesn’t guarantee we will add it as a feature.

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I think this sort of variation is a good thing. It gives utility beyond the nine professions, which is good as the professions don’t all provide equal utility in the wvw setting. Not even close.
I can’t speak to the balance or the kind of work that would have to go into implementing it, mind.

It was a fun read.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Oldyoung.6109

Oldyoung.6109

Some of these would be good additions to the Wxp system at least in part like bomber or scout if they could mark enemy zergs like mobile sentry posts.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Just wanted to say that this is an interesting suggestion! The team is interested in feedback on this idea and will continue watching this thread. However, just because we are following this thread doesn’t guarantee we will add it as a feature.

It is a great idea for the expansion I find, specially if nice visual effects are implemented with the buffs.

However I feel that more importantly something needs to be changed in order to bring the community together, the server linking isn’t working well. If I had just 1 very basic wish for the new xpac it would be that servers are grouped in 3 alliances and that we could guest on the servers freely to play with our friends.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I would recreate the WvW Mastery panel into a tree gated system.

Siege
→ offensive (improved damage to walls, gates and such)
→ damage utility (poison ac skill)
→ defensive utility (cata shield bubble)
→ defensive (improved damage to enemies, efficient repair)
→ defender utility (poison supply cows)
→ damage utility (damage to enemy siege)

Player offensive
→ offensive (guard damage)
→ offensive utility (increased ring contribution)
→ damage ( increased damage to siege)
→ utility (supply limit)
→ offensive utility (reduced cast time traps and tricks)
→ utility (+1-25% run speed ooc)

Defensive
→ support (healing and boon duration to NPCs)
→ support utility (regeneration initially? heals NPCs for X)
→ defensive utility (increased number of wvw traps)
→ offensive (might and fury you give NPCs is improved)
→ offensive utility (deal X% of fall damage taken to nearby enemies)
→ defensive utility (increases all skill range by 1-25% when within objective defense event)

Would make them gated behind X number of points for next tier. Soft caps of ~250 with diminishing return caps of 10k.
So run speed ooc I would put high in tree to be unlocked with ~500 points in offensive tree t3. Then a player could drop 1-250 points into it specifically for 1-25% speed ooc. If they dropped 9.5k points into it they could increase it to +33% runspeed ooc.

Just a crude outline of an altered WvW Mastery tree.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

There needs to be some progression path. I can see how there could be some serious power-creep issues with a proposal like the OP’s though. It takes a good while to accumulate rank points already, especially for players who don’t grind them out with pots and boosters and EOTM. You don’t want a situation where newcomers feel they can’t contribute or compete until they have a “job”, especially if getting that job takes a good number of hours.

I’d be happy with weak power/utility progression and strong cosmetic progression. I realize many people run WvW at low graphics settings for performance reasons but there could still be room for some kind of visual differentiation according to rank. Of course, if you feel you can provide power and/or utility in a way that doesn’t alienate newer players or unbalance things more than they are already then go for it.

tl:dr – Progression is good.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

No, i playing GW2 for 4 years now, the lack of resources is the reason of this post, resources suggestion, nothing is out of scope everyone is waiting for a big WvW patch with things like that, is very dumb to stay silent waiting for them to do something you want but they don’t know you want, we have to let them know what we want, if we dont ask for, is this way they are really not doing it

Understood. Let me clarify. I am okay with you suggesting this regardless of ANET’s desire to implement it (or not or partially).

My issue of scope is in regards to power creep. You suggest to bring in more stats into the game mode. This means more numbers must be thrown in for the balance team (assuming they take part in this feature). Sadly it is hard for me to dig up posts about developers’ concerns when it comes to balancing power creep, whereby adding more power creep. It’s a valid concern here regardless.

Your ideas of stat improvements to different play styles has/does work in other games. And it is interesting. Am I allowed to mention other games?

League of Legends has a simple passive trait system for defense, offense, and utility that boost those three play styles. Even the now notorious Mass Effect Andromeda has a profile systems that accentuates different play styles. They both work well since both were conceptualized, and balanced early on.

As far as progression. I dislike the current WvW ranks since the massive wall can be a large barrier to entry for the new players (this game mode needs new players). I would prefer it replaced entirely, or all its effects defaulted. If WvW Ranks was replaced by a play style based system with similar ideas you described that would be super. I recall the initial idea of WvW ranks was so players had roles. Irony is it’s just another thing to max out, and be omni-useful to anyone.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

While I appreciate the time and effort you put into your idea and post, I think this is, on it’s face, a really bad idea.

WvW, and classes already have balance issues. This would essentially throw the very hard and delicate task of balancing out the window with massive new variables. There’s already thinks like this in the game which are banners. Many of the ideas you’ve talked about are already covered in the existing mastery lines. Furthermore, much of your ideas are already a part of what someones existing role is in the game.

Fore example, your medic idea. Well, we already have runes and traits that increase revive speed. Your stat choices can make you a healer. You can trait into better healing abilities. Almost everything you suggest is already covered by these concepts. This is why people are thinking you’re new to the game.

Look how long it took them to balance out stability after they totally borked it (a year and a half?). HoT and pre hot changes have introduced a ton of power creep. Vast, sweeping changes like these would just break the game for many and make them quit.

It sounds to me like you want to play a game that just doesn’t exist, but also seems outside the realm of WvW. It sounds like a totally different game.

I do, however, believe some fresh air desperately needs to be introduced to WvW. There have been some good ideas here for masteries. But the current mastery system is broken and outdated. The main reason is that many, many of us have way more mastery points than we know what to do with. This means that we have everything, and will most likely have everything that is newly introduced.

I think the best idea so far is to have WvW masteries confined into choices, like a mastery tree or trait system. This will force us to make choices and have a limitation, regardless of how many excess mastery points we have. In order to retrait, we’d have to spend, let say 10 mastery points. This would also create a “point sink” for a currency that has been, and will continue to, building up.

I can not stress the importance of running by any new, drastic change to the WvW community in a select way. The devs often overlook a glaring flaw that is obvious to seasoned WvW players. This is so needed as Anet does not use test servers, so we have to live with these reprocussions for a very long time before they are changed after being introduced to the game (again, look at the stability change). Much of our feedback was not heeded during the HoT beta and it drove many people away from the game, never to return. This is not an exaggeration or hyperbole.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Interesting stuff OP.

Very glad to see devs take note as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

I like the idea of a tree based system (choosing one option at the sake of another) but it needs to VERY monitored and balanced. Like others, I worry that the OP’s proposal will bring about excessive powercreep and duplicate roles (like the medic mentioned earlier) that already exist in-game through runes, traits etc.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Mysteriax.6049)

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

@Mysteriax.6049, deppends the changes Anet is willing to make into the game, if its aditions only to WvW w/o removing what makes the powercreep yes it would be worse, even add this to masterires would be a awfull conmcept.
Some of those jobs sound like what some classes already can do but on steroids….and i dont see Anet adding a 4th traitline…

Still…

What Op describes in some roles is easilly ahieved by buffing some runes or creating new ones…

So, Anet it would be possible to discard the current rune system and revamp it with something similiar to this roles and actually way that could improve some skills effects or how a class can be played?

The rune system is a bit dull many are useless, and just a few are being used becuase class really needs them or gives access to a low effort gimmick.

Runes composition would be:
-Stats for role if aplyed (for balance sake some runes would have a negative value in some stats if needed).

-Role effects, description of what skills and or boons are affected
(not all classes should have access to all runes, some “jobs” need to be class specified)

And Mrs. McKenna, please ponder to remove the cleave spam from auto atacks from the game, and offensive utilities like traps, the runes from the jobs trapper could increase some traps from 1 to 2 targets.
While u guys at Anet keep adding more aoe and cleave skills, game atm is already overloaded with aoe/cleave spam.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: vier.1327

vier.1327

I want my Flute back.. why i can not move and play it at the same time!?

Next WvW job: Bard. Grants the ability to move whyle playing an instrument. Worth 2000 gems.

Mejor músico de Bahia de Baruch.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

wvw needs simplicity. adding more redundant stuff that makes things more complicated is like putting a second hoop on a basketball backboard. its already a great task for a lot of people to simply get in ts, get on a meta build, stay on tag, dodge through damage, stay on tag, blast water, coordinate bombs… now youre asking to put some kinda “job template” on top of this.
so no. good idea in general but I cant agree to this tomfoolery.

free choice will give the option for more people to make the wrong one. how would you balance this for small scale/solo? what would happen if everyone wanted to have one particular job and no one chose the necessary ones like builder? it would be a constant struggle to get people to not be selfish. that’s already nearly impossible for most people and their “custom builds/gameplay”. people do what they want and that’s fine, if youre the type of person who likes to play backline pewpew ranger and not frontline when your zerg is constantly wiping to another zerg with a stronger frontline.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

if anet does take a look in to this i love if they used EOTM as testing map over doing it in private sever.

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

I was thinking: “What if you had a function, like a mastery, like a job, on WvW”.
You equip it like a espec maybe in a exclusive slot and BOOM! You have special utilities and traits. What im talking about?
Look:

I love the idea! There are a few things that struck me tho

1. Balance
How would these jobbs/traits be balanced or regulated?
Because, what’s to stop everyone from takling the option thats most efficient and then sticking with it?
Would there be any rank restrictions?
- Maybe a set number of individuals per map who can trait each line?
- would they be tied to a squad / handed out by the commander like leuetenant is today?

2. what would happen with profession skill balance?
Would these jobbs be better off if they didnt affect player skills at all and more about structiors, scouting, sieges etc?
- maybe give a player the ability to place cannon blue prints or mortar blue prints that other players cannot get (like ur ideas too)

3. This would defo spice up the game type. good job!

in WvW

Posted by: Leolas.6273

Leolas.6273

Cool suggestion. I like the idea. Main problem would be to balance it right.

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Since there’s actual interest in this thread at least think about not adding anything that increases range or messes with stats because again, it seemed like you were talking more about squad composition more than anything else and there’s not many places for guilds or people who actually think about their builds to go if WvW goes full themepark.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They removed guard stacks because they actually made a tiny difference. The profession idea is great, but indeed we don’t want another system removed from the game after its implementation.

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

i think the “jobs” idea should be fullfiled by the classes and builds themselves.

There are some bad suggestions like medic being able to revive defeated players, as that is going backwards with the game mode improvements made until now.

But the general idea is good. Just not like a “jobs” thing, but more to define the roles in wvw for the classes.

For example we have the thief that is the perfect scout. Ventari revenant, druid and water ele could be the choices to play literally the medic rol.

Bomber you could play as engi or bow warrior.

It is true that classes, because of lack or lost of definition in their roles they lost that flavour, but i think with a good deep reboot and the following weekly small balances to fine tuning the skills what the op is asking is easily achievable.

Just to keep in mind some small things:

• Every role should have at least 3 classes to be capale to build for that. For example right now if you want to be an scout your only choice is thief. Mesmer and maybe engi or ranger should be able to build as an scout.
  • All classes should be able to build to fulfill at least for 4 of those roles(6 trait lines with new specs) . So if you play thief you are not locked into scouting gameplay (always hidding, instacast burst and then dissapear).
  • If you build for one role the build should not be able to fullfil another as well. A build that can do all like fresh air elementalist that can do a good amount of dps and bunker at the same time should not happen.
I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

anduriell.6280, its Anetbalance lol, they need to change quite a few stuff in game for this to work decently.
IF they aplyed this as a 4th trailine it would create powercreep builds and contradictions they need to find a way to introduce this, w/o add this to the current overstaking gameplay.

Bomber would be interesting access to skills or improvements that increase damage on distance and weaker damage if close but stronger cc if aplyed at close than at range.
They should aply the ruleset that gw1 had for the bows ^^.

completelly agree with the limits that need to be imposed reason why i dont trust in a 4th traitline…

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

One thing I would really want to see:

Better scouting. Where are enemies going? Where are our guys going? This is a vital piece of information that makes or breaks the game mode. All too often there’s a group of players sieging a tower and capturing it without any opponents coming to defend it. That’s because none of the opponents know what’s going on. White swords pop out if you do as little as engage the guards (without even killing any) and last for a long time. Boy cries wolf and invalidates the message.

Then, after fifteen minutes or so the tower is recaptured again with no resistance. It makes WvW have this “player vs. door” type of gameplay that is not very interesting.

Scouting needs to be made into a role. Individual takes up a spot and relays accurate information automatically. It could work like a sentry feature. Marking enemies should stop contribution loss.

What about the part of playing with other people? I suggest that players should be able to highlight their presence at their own discretion on map, similar to how squad members are highlighted. Maybe just to tell other players on their side that they are not alone on the map and without leadership burden that comes from showing a commander tag.

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280, its Anetbalance lol, they need to change quite a few stuff in game for this to work decently.
IF they aplyed this as a 4th trailine it would create powercreep builds and contradictions they need to find a way to introduce this.

Bomber would be interesting access to skills or improvements that increase damage on distance and weaker damage if close but stronger cc if aplyed at close than at range.

completelly agree with the limits that need to be imposed reason why i dont trust in a 4th traitline…

not talking about 4 traitlines, 4 roles, 4 jobs that each class should be able to fullfil with the right choice of traits.

Although i wou,d change how it works the traits selection as the actual one is really limiting in desing and form which lead to the actual stale one class=one build , but i don’t think anybody at anet is interested in changing that.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

IF they aplyed this as a 4th trailine it would create powercreep builds and contradictions they need to find a way to introduce this.

not talking about 4 traitlines, 4 roles, 4 jobs that each class should be able to fullfil with the right choice of traits.

Although i wou,d change how it works the traits selection as the actual one is really limiting in desing and form which lead to the actual stale one class=one build , but i don’t think anybody at anet is interested in changing that.

I wasnt talking about 4traits 4roles, either^^, was talkign about if a 4th was added to select that role, it would bring alot of imba, depending the current low efforts builds that the game have, staking a gimmick build on top a class job… could be end in nasty broken stuff as usual.

I sugested upthere^ on the thread to redesign the rune system towards this roles, alot of runes are useless and others are used to achieve low effort gimmicks.. so it would fix the stacking of role+build in most cases.
Anet needs to discover they have been punishing the game with that build/balance mentality but that is up to them.

(sorry about my poor english )

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

This sounds like a skillbar replacement, like banners or mechanical devourers type stuff? I strongly dislike those being added to WvW. It’s nothing the trait and profession system shouldn’t be able to handle, and just complicates/obliterates balance.

The less weird fluff* that is added, the better. See: EotM.

*Myself exlcuded.

in WvW

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

I like the idea, but it would require another skill bar.
How about passive bonusses you can pick in a new tab in WvW UI?
Builder builds faster, also includes repairing,
Scout tags enemies around him, like sentry,
Artillery engineer gets bigger treb and cata damage, can turn them faster, maybe gets Iron Hide too?
Saboteur improved trap mechanic, traps drain 150 supplies from 15 people, disablers have slightly bigger radius,
Etc

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

This sounds like a skillbar replacement, like banners or mechanical devourers type stuff? I strongly dislike those being added to WvW. It’s nothing the trait and profession system shouldn’t be able to handle, and just complicates/obliterates balance.

The less weird fluff* that is added, the better. See: EotM.

*Myself exlcuded.

Nah, its an enhancement to focus playing a specialized role.

“Archers” would have increased range while standing in defended objectives.
Ranged AoE casters would have larger AoE.

I didn’t read all of his stuff but that is the idea behind it. Probably power creep but not in a +MOAR DMG kind of way.

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Would be a nightmare to balance. Balancing this game is already hard enough, I’d rather we not complicate things further.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Would be a nightmare to balance. Balancing this game is already hard enough, I’d rather we not complicate things further.

Yup

in WvW

Posted by: Limodriver.4106

Limodriver.4106

or like DAOC’s relic which give special ability when u pick up the relic

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

All in all, I like the idea, but I think it could potentially be implemented in a simpler way that, imo, would be easier to balance -

Instead of skill line roles, use the skill tree to let players unlock the ability to pick up a equipment in different camps, towers, keeps, etc. When a player picks up a piece of this equipment, they get a special action key with a finite number of uses. For the medic, this would be a battle rez, for the sniper, it would be a 5000 range damaging shot. For the sapper, it would allow for placing of bombs at gates. Other ideas could include the ability to repair siege (repair kit), fall off cliffs with no damage (parachute), climb back up cliffs in predetermined locations (climbing gear), etc.

They could even fold the existing supply and siege disabler abilities into such a system, making them less clunky to use.

Again, I like the original premise. I think there is some real potential to spice up WvW (assuming of course that players dont freak out over any small changes).

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I liked the idea of making specific rune-sets for this. Might even be a part of a redesign of rune-sets in WvW in general (no idea how to solve, but would have loved to see WvW use its own Runes, so they can attempt to balance it).

Another idea for the idea suggested, would be to add F6-F10 buttons to these new features, as to avoid taking existing util slots etc. Though I think that would likely be pretty weird, and go a bit against the general clean(ish) interface of 10-15 buttons on most classes.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

It does sound interesting, WvW sure needs a shakeup, but how to balance this?

I mean there have to be shortcomings, weaknesses to everyone of these jobs, otherwise it’s just straight up powercreep, that i think this game does not need.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

I would much rather have resources and dev effort go toward bringing us professions 2.0, cleaning up traits, improving core profession stuff, improving existing weapons and slot skills, creating decent roles to choose from out of every profession, fixing problematic combat issues such as the condi and stealth systems, creating new elites, new weapons, new slot skills, … as opposed to this or mastery stuff. That can come later when the important things are tackled first and foremost.

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

I’m not sure a mastery stuff would be the appropriate answer to that nice idea. I think I remember the devs saying they weren’t so happy about the overall WXP upgrades, and this could be a possible answer.

As some said, replacing the WXP panel with a tree system is a good idea. I can imagine the following root mechanics :

• Trees would be organized role-wise, as the OP suggested, with things like scout, fighter, medic, siegemaster etc.
  • Trees would have a passive branch, that’d provide permanent bonuses, and an active branch, that you’d need to select accordingly to your role, and that’d provide more powerful bonuses, and specific abilities, like special discounts at sellers, ability to buy specific stuff, and why not specific utility skills (WvW traps, I’m staring at you) ?
  • You can only change tree at spawn ?

in WvW

Posted by: rhonda berenne.8573

rhonda berenne.8573

This would actually kill off the last bit of WvW…. People can’t use supply unless you are a builder? Well if your keep is being attached and it has no siege built and you only drop supply because you aren’t equipped as a builder you are screwed.

Next: Perma out of combat stealth??? Are you missing a few screws? This will make it 10x harder for smaller servers to compete against bigger if they can’t even see if they are scouted.

Increased range? Aren’t rangers current range already enough? More smug from a thief? Come on now…. You have to be joking….

I can say there will be a LOT OF PEOPLE who QUIT WvW of this gets implemented. If you want to kill of WvW you go and implement ANY of these…

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

After reading post after post about how OP this class is and OP that class is, this one really puts the O P in OP for whichever given class you have listed here. It pretty much would give those super powers of some sort to specific classes, while penalizing other classes that aren’t set up like that. Right now most classes can help out in different ways. This idea makes the skill sets more segregated, in my opinion, and would make the complaints rise exponentially. (and I mean exponentially in the real sense.. HUGE).

On the surface it looks like a potentially fun idea and if it was there from the start it might be. But to change things from what they are now, so some sort of “super specialization” for specific classes would seriously cause even more grief from people that we are already seeing.

Just my thoughts of course .

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

:) oh please, I am on my knees for this one.. do NOT even consider this. As my previous post says, (and others have noted), this kind of change would pretty much obliterate the WvW population in a huge way.. imo.

… just call me … Tim :)