World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A message from the World vs. World Team:

Hello Everyone!

The WvW World Linking Beta will be starting today at 11 AM PDT Friday (18:00 UTC Friday) for EU and 7 PM PDT Friday (2:00 UTC Saturday) for NA. When it begins several worlds will be linked to help even out WvW populations. We used factors like the world’s current rank and population numbers to define pairings. For NA we will be able to divide the total number of worlds in half, and give every world a partner. However, pairings for EU are a lot trickier, both because there is an odd number of total worlds, and because there is an odd number of specific language worlds. EU also has a greater number of well populated worlds, so it makes sense to link fewer worlds. The result is that a number of worlds in EU will not be linked.

We will be resetting glicko volatility and deviation for all worlds to the same value, but leaving their rating unchanged. What this means is:

• The first matchup will use current placements (T1 worlds vs T1 worlds, T2 worlds vs T2 worlds, etc.)
  • The reset volatility and deviation values will come into effect at the end of that match.
  • Worlds that win, especially by a large margin, will have their rating increased by a larger amount than normal.
  • Likewise, worlds that lose, especially by a large margin, will have their rating decreased by a larger amount than normal.
  • The result is that when a world no longer is meant to be in a specific tier, they’ll move out of it more quickly.

Resetting glicko volatility and deviation also has the advantages of requiring no downtime! We considered resetting rating, but decided not to for this first beta of World Linking. For T1 worlds the rating itself will still be fairly accurate for the majority of players in those worlds. For new lowest tier, previously middle tier worlds, keeping their lower rating will still help prevent them from getting wiped by the T1 worlds. Keep in mind this is a beta, and in the future we may reconsider other options like a clean wipe or a weighted average, but for now we encourage you go check out World Linking!

As for the future, we may redistribute worlds as populations drift over time and because the system is flexible, we can potentially link 3 or more smaller worlds as appropriate.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Oh I may have to log on tonight just to read the map chat… oh the egos of some of the server leaders and guilds who “run things” on their server getting paired up with past enemies or just other leaders….. The outright culture clashes are going to be phenomenally entertaining…. “Get off my map Scrub!, half my guild is in que”, “No you get off!” etc……

And I foresee Transfer Wars 2 on the horizon.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

yeah, french server linked together should be fun to see

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

\o/ M SO EXCITED \o/

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: James Asner.2597

James Asner.2597

What about HOW the population is distributed? I’ve heard that server caps are now halved for each server. So now server 1 gets half the map population and server 2 gets the other half.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Oh I may have to log on tonight just to read the map chat… oh the egos of some of the server leaders and guilds who “run things” on their server getting paired up with past enemies or just other leaders….. The outright culture clashes are going to be phenomenally entertaining…. “Get off my map Scrub!, half my guild is in que”, “No you get off!” etc……

And I foresee Transfer Wars 2 on the horizon.

No different than what used to happen on Alpine a couple years ago :p

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

What about the glicko hell of low/top tiers? Will you prevent tier walls with this system?

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Cirrion.8951

Cirrion.8951

Wait, so those of us who intentionally sought out low-tier servers to avoid zergs/queues are going to be paired with the highest population servers? I paid money to transfer servers to avoid exactly that.

EDIT: I should say that I do like the overall changes to WvW, and I see the necessity of some sort of server merge/pairing. My specific concern is that for those of us on lower tier servers there is going to be a rather large change in the game experience; once that most of us will see as a negative (not to mention the reaction of the higher tier servers suddenly finding their queued BG’s full of solo roamer types from their partner server). If we wanted to be on the highest tier servers we would have transferred there.

Obviously it is too late to change the design for the first round of the beta, but perhaps a system where the lowest tier servers are rolled up together into linked servers to provide a moderately populated lower tier environment may be worth testing?

(edited by Cirrion.8951)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Tspatula.9086

What about HOW the population is distributed? I’ve heard that server caps are now halved for each server. So now server 1 gets half the map population and server 2 gets the other half.

I don’t think they are talking about map limits, I think that is referring to the server population and whether they are considered full or medium or high in terms of transferring costs. My guess is the map pop caps are going to be the same, and there will be no differentiation between a person from server 1 entering versus someone from server 2 entering from a pair…

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Gonna be interesting in T2.
I also can’t wait to see who gets to come be buddies with us DBers.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Stoney II.7385

Stoney II.7385

Hey everyone,

first of all thx for rebirthing WvW with a lot of changes!
I just wanted to share some concerns towards the world-linking as I dont see the value nor the sense of this world linking beta due to a couple of reasons:
- TS communication
- Raiding Guilds
- Server Communitys
etc.

I wondered if ist not better for everyone to just Close down Servers, before you scream ahhh my Server, mind the following Situation:
- paired up with new Server on reset
1. Need to check ts
2. Need to check who tags
3. …
Next week:
- paired up with another Server on reset
1. Need to check ts
2. Need to check who tags
3. …
etc. etc…
wouldnt it therefore be much more easier to just have to go through the pain once? Instead of getting shot in the breast and letting you bleed out slowly, id rather take one straight and go on with it :-)

As also posted above there will be lots of Drama to be caused by this System.
- Who tags up
- What strategy
- What builds
- What so ever :-)

However I guess most can agree that we are thankful that there is now something Happening and is tested, it might turn out i’m wrong, but currently I simply cant see the benefit in it.

Nevertheless good reset for everyone!

Pikensquare
Kaito Battlestance – Revenant

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

It was said in the AMA that population caps would be lowered for paired worlds

Source: http://dulfy.net/2016/04/19/gw2-spring-quarterly-update-reddit-ama/
“Worlds that are paired will have lower population caps.”

Edit: This was clarified by Tyler Bearce, see posts below.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

(edited by Bensozia.8071)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

How much longer are we going to have to wait for the alpine to get back? If you are going to create even larger queues on EB by merging servers you need to give us a map that works for WvW for the bl.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Noein.7635

Noein.7635

Will be interesting as TC is already queuing all maps nightly during NA. Wish they would exclude certain servers with the pairings, but will be nice to fight more opponents during NA.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

kitten the alpine,
the moment of truth comes…..

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: kaco.9856

kaco.9856

Current BLs have tons of space so no need to bring back smaller maps, just remove pve events and allow more people on them. People should stop being afraid to play on them

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Dopamine.7502

Dopamine.7502

I agree with others here that server paring is not a solution. It only creates several organisation problems as you are not linked to someone permanently. To me best thing is to simply merge servers. This means only one time of creating a new combined community instead of having to do that every few weeks/months.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

So we find out who we are paired with at reset or is the list released?

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Current BLs have tons of space so no need to bring back smaller maps, just remove pve events and allow more people on them. People should stop being afraid to play on them

EB has lagged since day 1 when map is capped and all three servers engaged. What’s you’re logic behind desert magically being able to bypass the limitations of the GW2 engine and allow more players?

The only thing that concerns me with this linking scheme is how royally screwed the worlds at the low end of the “too high population to pair, too low population to rise” will be. Will we see low tier suddenly race up the tiers? Will we see mid tier servers drop like stones? Guess we’ll find out. I have zero faith in this system at the moment but maybe it will be good.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Tspatula.9086

I agree with others here that server paring is not a solution. It only creates several organisation problems as you are not linked to someone permanently. To me best thing is to simply merge servers. This means only one time of creating a new combined community instead of having to do that every few weeks/months.

Well, they aren’t going to repair servers more than a couple times a year, and my guess is that if this first pairing is even remotely playable that Anet will simply take the beta label off and let things ride with an eye to fine toon things in the first re-pairing many months from now.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: kaco.9856

kaco.9856

EB has lagged since day 1 when map is capped and all three servers engaged. What’s you’re logic behind desert magically being able to bypass the limitations of the GW2 engine and allow more players?

I dont remember using magic.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

If they’re lowering the caps for paired worlds how does that help anybody? If you’re pairing a world that has the numbers to reliably fill a WvW map on their own and then pairing them with a world that doesn’t then you’ve raised the total number of players with access to the map but are subsequently lowering how many people can be in the map?

This just seems like the sort of plan that will lead to longer queues and bickering solely by its design.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Rasudido.6734

Rasudido.6734

It would be nice to know the linked world beforehand so we can organize as to best avoid any unnecessary clashes and offer any new friends in the partner worlds help wherever they may need/want.

reaching out to people, helping them out, giving them TS info, and organizing in a large scale as to best avoid giant queues all night (particularly true in T1) all takes a significant amount of time we dont have if were kept in the dark about things.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

Suggestion:

Google search – “Reboot Base Map Mechanic”

Attachments:

(edited by Diku.2546)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Previous

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

Next

Linked worlds will have lower population caps for the purposes of server transfers. We will not be changing map caps.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

It would be nice to know the linked world beforehand so we can organize as to best avoid any unnecessary clashes and offer any new friends in the partner worlds help wherever they may need/want.

reaching out to people, helping them out, giving them TS info, and organizing in a large scale as to best avoid giant queues all night (particularly true in T1) all takes a significant amount of time we dont have if were kept in the dark about things.

While I at first agree with the organizing part and such, on the other side you obviously have the guilds that are totally going to take advantage and switch and bandwagon to a certain server.

The solution could be to disallow switching server for the first match or well into the first match and then let us know beforehand for organizing purposes.

But it’s all very sensitive information in the wrong hands really.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Noein.7635

How will the queues work now? Are both servers ‘merged’ together and share the same queue or are the maps split in half (as one server is allocated 50 percent of the spots, and the other server allocated 50 percent)?

Hopefully not the former, as that will lead to extremely large queues for several servers while not even filling the map if the partnered server can’t fill their spots.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Noein.7635

Linked worlds will have lower population caps for the purposes of server transfers. We will not be changing map caps.

By linked, you mean all servers, correct?

Does this mean that servers in tier one and two are going to have their map caps cut in half, while being paired with t7-t8 servers which won’t even have anyone on the DBLs?

If thats the case, you’ll have half empty maps with queues of 50+.

Hopefully you’re offering free transfers to all servers if this is the case.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Previous

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

Next

Linked worlds will share the same queue. A map can contain any number of players from either linked world, until the team map cap is reached.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Noein.7635

Linked worlds will share the same queue. A map can contain any number of players from either linked world, until the team map cap is reached.

Thanks for the clarification. Good call.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Chris Barrett

Previous

Chris Barrett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

What about the glicko hell of low/top tiers? Will you prevent tier walls with this system?

As Glicko “figures out” an appropriate rating for a given world over time, both its deviation and volatility decrease. This is Glicko’s way of determining how well it “knows” where a world belongs, and settling it into place so it neither gets stomped by a higher-tier opponent, nor effortlessly dominates a lower-tier one. However, this intended purpose of Glicko is also a major factor in causing matchup stagnation.

For this first beta we’re raising Glicko’s deviation and volatility for each world, but leaving rating alone. This will cause a greater variety in matchups as Glicko now “thinks” it has less of an accurate rating, and will willingly shuffle worlds around more as it tries to sort them out again. EU will have particularly high variation in matchups since ratings aren’t spread quite as far between top and bottom tier worlds, as they are in NA.

When creating each week’s matchup we also do a little bit of random shuffling after Glicko sorts things by rating, with the shuffle being based on deviation and volatility. So matchups will again be more variant in the coming weeks. Though EU will have higher matchup variation than NA, because it won’t take quite as strong a random roll for a world to be matched against others in different tiers, due to EU having less of a spread in Glicko rating from top to bottom tier.

“Glicko hell” occurs when a few worlds have enough distance from the rest for these random rolls to never match those up against the rest. The difficulty of climbing back out of this comes about because of how Glicko determines how far a world’s rating should change after a round ends. If a higher-rated world beats a lower-rated one, this is as expected, so the winner’s rating doesn’t change very much; it’s already where it belongs relative to the opponents it just played against.

Due to the increased deviation and volatility combined with fewer total worlds, there shouldn’t be a “Glicko hell” again for a little while. We’ll continue to watch how Glicko rating, deviation, and volatility develop to see how well world linking— and our approach to it this first time with Glicko— plays out in the Live game. It’s a delicate balance to hit where there’s enough matchup variation to not be stagnant, but little enough to not create unfair matchups.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Rasudido.6734

While I at first agree with the organizing part and such, on the other side you obviously have the guilds that are totally going to take advantage and switch and bandwagon to a certain server.

The solution could be to disallow switching server for the first match or well into the first match and then let us know beforehand for organizing purposes.

But it’s all very sensitive information in the wrong hands really.

I agree completely

That said we have info that individual server pairings can be changed and may not be permanent, which would certainly put a dent into people trying to bandwagon. Your idea on locking server transfers until well into the match would also work.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: TheBlueLight.1762

TheBlueLight.1762

I guess on certain timezones 2 servers paired can lead to actually have numbers on EU or SEA or Ocx for some servers… being able to defend stuff before moving into another timezone. Would be great if that would have been taken in account in matching up servers…
That doesn’t have to mean queues , actually finally numbers for some servers… where usually everything would turn into paper…

However i am concerned about the TS. Especially as players need to be verified… first 2 days all the time… great for people who have to spent their time doing that…

Or having to add another TS locations every week…

Also i agree. Some people left high tier servers for they like to play more laid back not facing blobs etc… So it seems to give the feeling only tier 1 players have been taken into account..

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Due to the increased deviation and volatility combined with fewer total worlds, there shouldn’t be a “Glicko hell” again for a little while. We’ll continue to watch how Glicko rating, deviation, and volatility develop to see how well world linking— and our approach to it this first time with Glicko— plays out in the Live game.

Okay. How are Glicko ratings for individual servers being calculated during linked matches? Some of us are wondering what the trick is to separate the linked worlds during Glicko rating calc, so that new (different) pairings can occur at each (for now 3 month) pairing interval.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Sus.3610

Sus.3610

Due to the increased deviation and volatility combined with fewer total worlds, there shouldn’t be a “Glicko hell” again for a little while.

This has been a question for some of us in the lower tiers. If we end up paired with a higher ranked tier, how would that impact our Glicko? The “linking” seemed to allude to the idea that servers wouldn’t lose their identity (yet), but you say “fewer total worlds” as though the linked servers will just become part of a different world? How will that work?

Barricka
Leader of [GIT] Git Off My Lawn
Devona’s Rest

(edited by Sus.3610)

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: billkamm.9201

billkamm.9201

My concern coming from a lower level server is I’ve rarely had to sit in a queue. I’m worried that I will now have to sit in queues. Especially at reset.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The World Linking Beta has now begun!

Here are the worlds for EU:

Now: 18 Worlds – 6 Tiers
Previously: 27 Worlds – 9 Tiers

• Baruch Bay (SP)
  • Kodash (DE)
  • Riverside (DE)
  • Elona Reach (DE)
  • Dzagonur (DE)
  • Abbadon’s Mouth (DE)
  • Drakkar Lake & Miller’s Sound (DE)
  • Jade Sea (FR)
  • Augury Rock & Fort Ranik (FR)
  • Vizunah Square & Arborstone (FR)
  • Piken Square (EN)
  • Seafarer’s Rest (EN)
  • Gandara & Ruins of Surmia (EN)
  • Desolation & Vabbi (EN)
  • Aurora Glade & Blacktide (EN)
  • Far Shiverpeaks & Underworld (EN)
  • Gunnar’s Hold & Fissure of Woe (EN)
  • Ring of Fire & Whiteside Ridge (EN)
Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

Poor guys in Vabbi, they will never be able to go to EB…

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Rasudido.6734

My concern coming from a lower level server is I’ve rarely had to sit in a queue. I’m worried that I will now have to sit in queues. Especially at reset.

This is a very likely situation and you probably will have to deal with it as its inevitable (t1 and t2 servers all queue up all maps on reset).

Your best bet to avoid down time when you want to play is to reach out to the larger server, join their TS if possible and coordinate with their groups to see where you can join and play easily. Most high population servers already organize to divide their guild groups evenly and avoid queues as much as possible.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: zsomer.9547

zsomer.9547

Poor guys in Vabbi, they will never be able to go to EB…

More like for once deso will have q outside of EB. .. nvm

Desolation – [PT],[IRON]

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Erinye.4230

Erinye.4230

First of all, it’s AbaDDon not ABBadon.
Over that, thats totally crap not linkin this server…
Sry, but thats killin a community…

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Vixen.4539

Vixen.4539

Can we get match-up threads on the official forums? Would be a great way to connect with our pairings…

-Vixen
SoS Council – EU Representative – sosgw2.com

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: SorryChief.5061

SorryChief.5061

I suppose that World populations are affected by WvW-Linking system. I can clearly see that some servers are full now in the “World Select” screen. They are Desolation, Far Shiverpeaks, Gandara, Drakkar Lake, Augury Rock and Aurora Glade. I believe that they were not full before this system.

I do not know, it is planned or a bug.

Attachments:

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Sus.3610

Sus.3610

I suppose that World populations are affected by WvW-Linking system. I can clearly see that some servers are full now in the “World Select” screen. They are Desolation, Far Shiverpeaks, Gandara, Drakkar Lake, Augury Rock and Aurora Glade. I believe that they were not full before this system.

This has been planned. They put a lower population cap on servers to avoid the mass amounts of transferring that would have surely happened. If people want to rage because they don’t like their matchup, they’ll have to rage quit instead of rage transfer

Barricka
Leader of [GIT] Git Off My Lawn
Devona’s Rest

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As stated above, world caps were lowered for paired servers, since that’s just based on WvW participation… and participation automatically increased through pairing. (Map caps remain the same.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

We used factors like the world’s current rank and population numbers to define pairings.

Linked worlds will have lower population caps for the purposes of server transfers.

Let’s ask the obvious question of how current? Another question is going to be, after being linked, how locked are our Worlds going to be? Because overall population does not make a winning team. You need to have a balanced population across the day to be successful in WvW. So how locked down are we going to be after this linking?

The worst case scenario is that this linking ends up being exactly as the leaked info was. And then, we’re all locked out from changing anything for months. The tables will flip themselves if this is the outcome.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

don’t forget that all those thing are in beta, just to try and see what happen.
I prefer that Anet try something new in beta and make some change or come back, that if they change everything without any come back possible.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Chris Barrett

Previous

Chris Barrett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Okay. How are Glicko ratings for individual servers being calculated during linked matches? Some of us are wondering what the trick is to separate the linked worlds during Glicko rating calc, so that new (different) pairings can occur at each (for now 3 month) pairing interval.

Linked “host” worlds have their Glicko data updated in the usual way. Linked “guest” world Glicko data isn’t affected. It’s not yet determined what approach we’ll use for Glicko data for guest worlds when world links are changed, in the case that a guest either becomes a host or goes solo.

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: Niadon.9270

Niadon.9270

Hi there,

it’s 2 years and half that I didn’t play GW2. I’m playing since two weeks.
There are 138 players in queue spread around. I didn’t see this since I was on Tier 1 and I’m playing on a server ranked 14th.

Please, before end the beta keep in mind that the contribution of new players, should be WISE as I wanna play, that’s why I’m on a middle server.

Far ShiverPeaks
Endure Pain [PAIN]

World Linking Beta

in WvW

Posted by: SorryChief.5061

SorryChief.5061

This has been planned. They put a lower population cap on servers to avoid the mass amounts of transferring that would have surely happened. If people want to rage because they don’t like their matchup, they’ll have to rage quit instead of rage transfer

As stated above, world caps were lowered for paired servers, since that’s just based on WvW participation… and participation automatically increased through pairing. (Map caps remain the same.)

Yes, you are right in this situation. I have read that in notes and it seems that it had already planned.. An easy thing to miss At least, It will be possibly helping some players who would miss/confuse that rule like me..