A message from the World vs. World Team:
The WvW World Linking Beta will be starting today at 11 AM PDT Friday (18:00 UTC Friday) for EU and 7 PM PDT Friday (2:00 UTC Saturday) for NA. When it begins several worlds will be linked to help even out WvW populations. We used factors like the world’s current rank and population numbers to define pairings. For NA we will be able to divide the total number of worlds in half, and give every world a partner. However, pairings for EU are a lot trickier, both because there is an odd number of total worlds, and because there is an odd number of specific language worlds. EU also has a greater number of well populated worlds, so it makes sense to link fewer worlds. The result is that a number of worlds in EU will not be linked.
We will be resetting glicko volatility and deviation for all worlds to the same value, but leaving their rating unchanged. What this means is:
- The first matchup will use current placements (T1 worlds vs T1 worlds, T2 worlds vs T2 worlds, etc.)
- The reset volatility and deviation values will come into effect at the end of that match.
- Worlds that win, especially by a large margin, will have their rating increased by a larger amount than normal.
- Likewise, worlds that lose, especially by a large margin, will have their rating decreased by a larger amount than normal.
- The result is that when a world no longer is meant to be in a specific tier, they’ll move out of it more quickly.
Resetting glicko volatility and deviation also has the advantages of requiring no downtime! We considered resetting rating, but decided not to for this first beta of World Linking. For T1 worlds the rating itself will still be fairly accurate for the majority of players in those worlds. For new lowest tier, previously middle tier worlds, keeping their lower rating will still help prevent them from getting wiped by the T1 worlds. Keep in mind this is a beta, and in the future we may reconsider other options like a clean wipe or a weighted average, but for now we encourage you go check out World Linking!
As for the future, we may redistribute worlds as populations drift over time and because the system is flexible, we can potentially link 3 or more smaller worlds as appropriate.
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events