WvW Invitational Statement from John Corpening, game director for World vs. World

WvW Invitational Statement from John Corpening, game director for World vs. World

in WvW

Posted by: reinforever.8902

reinforever.8902

What friends ?

90% of " i wanna play with my friend" QQ here are YB trolls (or other overstacker trolls) that can’t overstack even more then they already have. A lot of them are actually alt accounts, they log onto their other accounts so it doesnt show they’re from YB and post this BS.

In fact, I know at least 2 people on multiple accounts, that log in here and make the “i’m a stranded friend” posts personally, and I know them IRL, they are acquaintences, not friends. You understand the difference ? Someone I might game with outside of work, but thats about it. Its funny how many of you are actually falling for this sort of crap.

There are realistically like 10 people in all of WvWvW in this whole game that are actual true friends with someone and want to play WvWvW with them. And sorry, I don’t count ex guild mates, forum friends, or FB friends as friends. Only real friends count as friends.

The remaining legitimate 10% or so is unfortunately an extremely low number, and frankly speaking, its better they leave the game or not come back to it at all then affect what remains on anything below T2 in a negative way.

In addition, if they are true, real actual friends, then they will transfer down, rather then the other way around, because they are actual friends.

I’m talking about real life actual friends that I have known for years. They don’t want to have to sink another $35 into the game (each) to be able to play with our other friend (real life). That’s a ridiculous system and makes none of us actually want to play the game. I am an actual member of the YB community and I genuinely care about the server. I understand it’s overstacked which is why I don’t mind transferring down, but it should be free (temporarily) if they actually cared about population imbalance.

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

By having 15 players having the same impact on ppt at 5 am as 200 players in primetime, the value of primetime players is greatly diminished for ppt. With points per kill instead of points per tick offpeak players would have the same impact on total score as primetime players. how do you like that, Shiren?

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Julenal.3907

Julenal.3907

Just going to leave this here since “fixing” night capping could be easy:

Map points

consider that points would be calculated based on population. For example, Green team has everything capped on all maps and they have 25% of potential own max population in WvW -> they get 25% of points.

This could go like in example for whole WvW or separately for each map. (previous example: all active players (25% of total max = 100% on one map) on one map -> full points from there) Active servers would get advantage in addition of upgraded keeps, but night capping would not dominate match outcome.

GM of Finnish gaming community guild “Frozen Dawn” [FD] since GW2 announce
GW player of 14+kh and Passionate Mind Wracker since 2005

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Hi, I’m posting today the transcript of the statement that John Corpening, game director for World vs. World, made last week at the beginning of the World vs. World Desert Borderlands Invitational. Enjoy!

Interesting that we hadn’t heard about this statement in the forums until now. No WvW forum regulars got invited as PvE streamers took all the slots? Or maybe some did but took the statement as the usual non-newsworthy spin?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Hi, I’m posting today the transcript of the statement that John Corpening, game director for World vs. World, made last week at the beginning of the World vs. World Desert Borderlands Invitational. Enjoy!

Interesting that we hadn’t heard about this statement in the forums until now. No WvW forum regulars got invited as PvE streamers took all the slots? Or maybe some did but took the statement as non-newsworthy spin?

in WvW

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

At least it´s a statement that goes a bit beyond the usual “we hear you, we read the forums bla bla bla”. But as others have said Anets actions speak louder than 1000 words or posts. If Anet is really changing their policy regarding WvW and start to take it serious i would be very excited.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

in WvW

Posted by: Selufein.8307

Selufein.8307

Nothing about cheating issues?
They seem so common across the game and in wvw where it bothers so many people.

in WvW

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

At least it´s a statement that goes a bit beyond the usual “we hear you, we read the forums bla bla bla”. But as others have said Anets actions speak louder than 1000 words or posts. If Anet is really changing their policy regarding WvW and start to take it serious i would be very excited.

I’ve read the whole statement and I get the feeling that author is either delusional or is making fun of us – in most of it’s part.

Pretty much because actions which were taken toward WvW discard most of what has been written.

During this time, I conducted several discussions on our public forums about a number of issues related to World vs. World. From this we determined that we needed to focus on a number of core issues.

Here is a funny part.
After such a long time they determined that they need to focus on a number of core issues.
Well, even a bear wakes up earlier than they do.

We want to bring back tournaments and we want to bring them back in the form of seasons where everyone knows well in advance when the next tournament is coming.

Been like a year since last WvW tourney.
Is it really hard to enable it once per 3-4 months?

Not like enabling it will change anything in current world rankings.

After Adopt-A-Dev we spent some time discussing and debating the results. Even though a good portion of the team was already dedicated to working on World vs. World content and features for Heart of Thorns, we assigned people to start tackling these problems and more.

Great. Usual bs presented by mediocre developer.
Focus on expansion and middle finger to current situation.
One of the reasons why I no longer purchase Gems.

While we’re working on more solutions for the areas I have outlined, we’re excited about the updates Heart of Thorns will be bringing to World vs. World as well!

Hot this, Hot that.
How about current situation?
It’s still a time before expansion….

Well, quoted a few, but honestly, that letter is a bs and slap in the face for current players and customers.

Making out a tl:dr version of that letter:
- See you in HoT.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

in WvW

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Solutions to WvW problems:
1. greatly increase reward from kills.
2. divide that reward by the number of attacking ppl
3. introduce unique armor and weapon skins
4. link points earned (from keeps, towers, camps, etc etc) to instant WvW population. eg: 1 keep with 300 ppl in wvw = 1000 points // 1 keep with 10 ppl in WvW = 50 points. (night capping issue solved)

if you want a solution you’ll find a solution, what you are doing is just blablabla

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

oh wow another promise to work on wvw. /excited.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Just going to leave this here since “fixing” night capping could be easy:

Map points

consider that points would be calculated based on population. For example, Green team has everything capped on all maps and they have 25% of potential own max population in WvW -> they get 25% of points.

This could go like in example for whole WvW or separately for each map. (previous example: all active players (25% of total max = 100% on one map) on one map -> full points from there) Active servers would get advantage in addition of upgraded keeps, but night capping would not dominate match outcome.

This isn’t solving the problem at all. Scoring is not the only issue about non prime time hours that needs to be resolved. 24/7 coverage means allowing players to have people to play with and against 24/7. They actually do in higher tiers and if there were less servers, all players regardless of time they are able to play the game would actually have players to play with and against. The locking out of higher tier servers treats non prime time players like a subclass since they are no longer able to have the basic ability to play the game with and against other players. It is denying them the same game play that other players that are on at the exact same time are able to receive.

They would either have to:1) remove servers from wvw all together or 2) Close all servers that do not have 24/7 coverage and allow more maps to be in play at once to remove ques from being an issue to actually solve the problem( they could actually make more maps like EB that are only available for a set time once ques reach a certain point on all servers in a match up to accommodate the population if they wanted to allowing many more players to play at once ). The score problem is secondary to players having the basic ability to have access to players to play with and against, as that is what it means to be a massively multiplayer game. This way no matter where they live or what hours they work, they can still come home and be able to enjoy the game like everyone else without insane ping times. Many of the non NA prime players live in the US and work odd hours so they come home from work after many went to bed and want to be able to relax in their downtime in wvw like everyone else as well. There are plenty of players to play with during those hours, they are just on the higher tier servers that are now locking them away from being able to play with others.

What one server may think is " Server stacking Staying up late to night cap all our stuffs" is actually just players coming on when they are able to play like everyone else hoping to get a fight while they wind down from work only to find nothing but pvd due to a broken system. Make sure they are able to play where there are players to play with and against and you won’t have a " night capping" problem.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Another area we want to improve is how players are recognized and rewarded for their contributions to their team. Whether you defend, scout, run havoc, zerg bust, roam, conquer or win team fights you should be fairly compensated from the game and not rely on the hope that your team may kick you back some gold at the end of the night for you to feel rewarded for the valuable effort you put into the success of your world.

As others have said, it remains to be seen if changes actually happen, but all in all thank you for being open to us!

That quote is something that would be epic if it was possible to create, and would certainly bring more interest among solors/smaller groups.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in WvW

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

Well talking about wvw mechanics those are the main problems off couse, problems leading players playing wvw not for points but for fights.
I’ve also noticed some lag problems in the last 2 weeks (is not my connection so dont tell me to contact my internet provider), did you increased the border player caps????

Talking about the gameplay, something that really has lowered my fun in the game is the condition patch, wich can make pve players happy, wich can be balanced in a low scale environment where the condi spam can be watch over, but in wvw the amount of condi is much more higher. I’m actualy not enjoying roaming at all, all those condi specs doesnt require any skill. This can be solved by introducing new foods like -40% condition damage, that would be in line with the recent condi love patch.

in WvW

Posted by: meltdown.5870

meltdown.5870

Great news,,,,,

BUT …NOT 1 word about what they are gonna do about hackers and exploiters,,,,,, theese kitten players are the real reason why peoble stop playing WvW..

what use is it having the perfect maps ,,.when they are exploitable ..

Anet …hire 1-2 peoble only for hunting theese hacking/exploiting kittens down and close the fff gaps

in WvW

Posted by: Olli.9028

Olli.9028

I’ll believe it when i see it……

Or stability changes are reverted, whichever comes first.

+1
we need a backroll to old stabi for wvw or a target limit on all cc skills/walls to stop this kitten boring pirate shi(p)t meta

Stab Eins [aX] Axîom
professional WvW rallybotting since 2013

in WvW

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

A.Net is trying to fix the WvW with an over all approach to hopefully make it better not worse. I think this issues are:
1. Population Balance – this has to be done – for long term survivability and playability. This means that any server should be able to fight against any other server, not these locked in groupings like they are now.
2. Getting rid of the current ‘priate ship’ meta. It is bad for the game because it makes for blobbling.
3. New maps (which are coming)
4. Changing focus of WvW to more strategic type of playing and rewarding that (defense, etc).
5. Better ways to report siege trolls, etc.
6. Better ways to report hacking, etc

By listening to players that do not have that advantage of ‘the big picture’, other games have done that to their detriment BTW, would really cause WvW to collapse completely. This is the issue, right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Please deal with the hackers, thats all im asking at the moment #2months in at T9 already I think..?

Pls also nerf all the 1shot sylvari mesmers plaguing T9 :P

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

A.Net is trying to fix the WvW with an over all approach to hopefully make it better not worse. I think this issues are:
1. Population Balance – this has to be done – for long term survivability and playability. This means that any server should be able to fight against any other server, not these locked in groupings like they are now.
2. Getting rid of the current ‘priate ship’ meta. It is bad for the game because it makes for blobbling.
4. Changing focus of WvW to more strategic type of playing and rewarding that (defense, etc).

By listening to players that do not have that advantage of ‘the big picture’, other games have done that to their detriment BTW, would really cause WvW to collapse completely. This is the issue, right now.

Locked into groupings? It would be pointless for any server to be able to play any server, it would just be an execution not actual competitive gameplay. They should either remove the servers without 24/7 coverage or disconnect wvw from servers. Anything else just results in coverage wars regardless, treats non prime time players as a sub class, or makes players leave the game due to not being able to play with their friends and family or even worse forces them to play alone.

Disconnecting wvw from servers is the only viable option thus far that allows for non stale game play long term that also allows players to have people to play with and against 24/7. Population imbalance = not enough players to populate the servers that exist 24/7. Either close the ones that do not have coverage and add more maps or kill the server based wvw all together. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road and making more people leave wvw in the process.

EDIT: In addition, new maps do not solve the map issues if they are not maps players want to play on. EBG is by far the most popular map,( Non linear, non choke pointed, attack from anywhere, targets closer together, and flatter than the otherswhere players n large scale fight in many areas) they should make more like it and add more maps in use at once rather than just change scenery. Most wvw players are not playing wvw for the scenery, they are playing for the fights. They could remove all the npc’s, siege, and dull down the graphics settings and allow more players to fight at once without lag and players would be happier than getting a new " detailed’ map. Make it more pvp and less PVE/PVD by putting players closer together.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

Locked into groupings? It would be pointless for any server to be able to play any server, it would just be an execution not actual competitive gameplay. They should either remove the servers without 24/7 coverage or disconnect wvw from servers. Anything else just results in coverage wars regardless, treats non prime players as a sub class, or makes players leave the game due to not being able to play with their friends and family.

Disconnecting wvw from servers is the only viable option thus far that allows for non stale game play long term that also allows players to have people to play with and against 24/7. Population imbalance = not enough players to populate the servers that exist 24/7. Either close the ones that do not have coverage and add more maps or kill the server based wvw all together. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road and making more people leave wvw in the process.

EDIT: In addition, new maps do not solve the issue if they are not maps players want to play on. EBG is by far the most popular map,( Non linear, non choke pointed, attack from anywhere, targets closer together, and flatter than the others) they should make more like it and add more maps in use at once rather than just change scenery. Most wvw players are not playing wvw for the scenery, they are playing for the fights. They could remove all the npc’s siege, and dull down the graphics settings and allow more players to fight at once without lag and players would be happier than getting a new " detailed’ map.

Actually – right now, there is no competitive game play in T1 (or any other tier for that matter), as most of the time it is a 2 v 1 fest because 2 of the servers seem to run by the same people. In fact, I have videos of two blobs avoiding one another and then hitting the same target one right after the other in the same place. Or how about one coming in to a tower, opening it and then letting the other blob take it. How is THAT competitive.? Or how about Transferring to YB to overload it, so it blows it’s competition out of the water so it can move into T1? Right that is competitive.

As I said, YOU DO NOT have the big picture, and as a matter of fact, I don’t either. A.Net does. That is why the adopt a dev was done and why the devs actually played and listened in on voice comms, etc. They brought all this info back with them to come up with new ideas for WvW.

I am sorry you can’t play with your sister. As I said, the easiest thing to do is – transfer servers. DONE. But, the ‘you want my cake and eat it too’ mentality has got to go. This is for the betterment of the game. Some people will like it, some won’t. The one thing I do know, is doing nothing will kill the game.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Atype of playing and rewarding that (defense, etc).
snip

Locked into groupings? It would be pointless for any server to be able to play any server, it would just be an execution not actual competitive gameplay. They should either remove the servers without 24/7 coverage or disconnect wvw from servers. Anything else just results in coverage wars regardless, treats non prime players as a sub class, or makes players leave the game due to not being able to play with their friends and family.

EDIT: In addition, new maps do not solve the issue if they are not maps players want to play on. EBG is by far the most popular map,( Non linear, non choke pointed, attack from anywhere, targets closer together, and flatter than the others) they should make more like it and add more maps in use at once rather than just change scenery. Most wvw players are not playing wvw for the scenery, they are playing for the fights. They could remove all the npc’s siege, and dull down the graphics settings and allow more players to fight at once without lag and players would be happier than getting a new " detailed’ map.

Actually – right now, there is no competitive game play in T1 as most of the time it is a 2 v 1 fest because 2 of the servers seem to run by the same people. In fact, I have videos of two blobs avoiding one another and then hitting the same target one right after the other in the same place. How is THAT competitive.? Or how about Transferring to YB to overload it, so it blows it’s competition out of the water so it can move into T1? Right that is competitive.

As I said, YOU DO NOT have the big picture, and as a matter of fact, I don’t either. A.Net does. That is why the adopt a dev was done and why the devs actually played and listened in on voice comms, etc. They brought all this info back with them to come up with new ideas for WvW.

I am sorry you can’t play with your sister. As I said, the easiest thing to do is – transfer servers. DONE. But, the ‘you want my cake and eat it too’ mentality has got to go. This is for the betterment of the game. Some people will like it, some won’t. The one thing I do know, is doing nothing will kill the game.

I do have the big picture, I have played most of the MMORPGS on the market everything from DAoC, UO, SWG, RS, EVE, EQ SO…to PW, WURM, Conan, Darkfall, ESO.. ( MANY MANY MORE) there are MANY ways to balance PVP, and THIS. IS. NOT. IT. I wasn’t talking about just T1. I do not have " tier tunnel vision" LOL

No, the easiest thing is not to transfer servers, it is to play a game where I can play with my guilds, friends and my family. Transferring all of my friends and family from multiple guilds off a server is not only NOT easy in any way shape or form, it is also absurd to suggest that 300+ players leave a server to play with a few players, and is asinine that a developer would create a situation that is the only way they can play together. Doing nothing will kill wvwv long term, although doing this will kill it faster. You are not talking about " inconveniencing a few players" you are talking about running the majority of the players off the game for good. The majority of the payers are in the full servers., and they cannot even invite new players to the game now Killing word of mouth growth for the game.

Of course we should all have our cake and eat it to, we all paid for the game we all should get to play it with the people we enjoy playing it with. There is no reason to make anyone not be able to play with the people they enjoy playing it with if the system that is implemented is designed properly. ANY change =\= a benefit to the game and it’s players, this is just breaking it worse. Players do not move accounts off locked servers long term, they wind up selling the accounts… It turns popular servers into gold farms.. This isn’t the first game to make that mistake. Instead of players transferring up, they just buy accounts to get there and the game bleeds out the top until it dies as people find out what their locked server accounts are worth.

What has to go is the idea that players should not be able to enjoy the game they paid for with the people they enjoy playing with and that it is some how okay to extort money out of them to do so. YIKES.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

Interesting that we hadn’t heard about this statement in the forums until now. No WvW forum regulars got invited as PvE streamers took all the slots? Or maybe some did but took the statement as non-newsworthy spin?

What forums and youtube streams have you been on lately? I’ve seen links to the video version of this statement in multiple places including here. So what if it took them a few days to get a red tag post for it. That is the least of our worries. It’s gamescon week & a BWE weekend so we should be getting flooded soon enough.

As to the statement itself, they pretty much have the right stuff targeted for work in the correct order so it will just have to be seen how many resources they are given to work with and how long it will take. In general WvW changes seem to come 6mo or so after talked about so we are looking at next spring for a lot this. Will be interesting to see where things are then but I expect the novelty of HoT ought to last at least till then for most of us.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: evildan.8260

evildan.8260

/Cynical Mode On

“We’re finally doing something about the WVW problems! Look at us! We totally are doing something even if you can’t see any results just yet.

Now please all buy the expansion."

[fails to find the Cynical Mode Off switch]

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

We are eager to see the strategic play that develops from the Desert Borderlands with its new mechanics, unique objectives, astounding beauty and layout that both supports team fights in some areas while breaking up blobs in other areas.
We look forward to putting a greater emphasis on holding objectives through auto-upgrades and on guilds through the guild claiming system, a system that gives players new ways to play the game and tools to defeat their opponents.

We hope you enjoy the live stream of our second stress test coming up next and we will see you on the battlefield.

Thank You.

The map is absolutely stunning in regards to the artwork, but it is absolutely horrible in regards to game play. It seems like everything the hard core WvW players have been telling you for the past couple of years fell on deaf ears. Everything we specifically said we hated about maps, you decided to throw into this one.

Major issues:

1. There are freaking PvE mobs all over the place, some of which are quite the pain in the kitten to deal with. Why? Seriously, if I wanted to fight PvE mobs, I would go PvE, but like most WvWers, I hate it.

2. I really don’t want to WvW in a giant jumping puzzle. Too many elevation changes, jumping locations, and confusion. I fully realize that some of this is not being intimately familiar with the new map, but at the same time …it is grossly overdone.

3. Stupid gimmicks all over the place. If EOTM were a crack addict and had a baby, it would be this map.

4. Way too large. Bigger maps are good if the terrain was flatter and had less twists/turns and NPCs ….but bigger in addition to all the other crap just gets in the way of game play.

I suspect my thoughts (which are completely echoed by members of my entire guild) will fall on deaf ears, but this map is basically everything we hate about EOTM on steroids. We want large, flat areas free of NPCs to fight in, mixed in with some places that smaller forces can use to spread out and choke a large force if they are tactically smart and out play them. We don’t want stupid gimmicks that get in the way of game play (like the ones there now), but we DO want some mechanics in place that help to spread out blobs. The current implementation on the new map is crap.

My advice is this:

1. Shrink the map so it splits the difference between the old map and the current implementation in half. That away it is larger than the old maps to help spread things out, but not too large like the current map.

2. Get rid of the freaking NPCs. My preference would be to get rid of all of them, but perhaps you could put some ‘camps’ in out of the way places and away from traffic flow at a drastically increased XP/loot bonus to entice people to farm them (and entice gankers to farm the farmers)

3. Flatten the map out some and make it feel less like a jumping puzzle in places.

4. Get rid of the overdone mechanics. They get in the way of game play, not encourage it. If you want mechanics in place to spread out the fights, do something like making it a requirement to hold two ‘towers’ before a ‘keep’ can be taken …or something similar. It doesn’t have to be ‘that’, but you get the idea. Something simplistic to achieve the required effects.

This is another problem, Too many WvW players disagree about what WvW should be.
Personally I like what I have seen from the new map. (except for the NPC’s) I love that it breaks up zerging. But not everyone agrees with me, nor do I agree with everyone else. I would quit the game if they followed the above options 1, 3, and 4.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

Don’t believe a single word, you’ve burned us too many times for us to treat what you just said without EXTREME suspicion.

I’ll delete all my characters if you can deliver on all of this within a year and by deliver i don’t mean a complete fix as that’s just impossible but i will delete them if you can deal with most ofthe issues and sort out the population diffrences.

I won’t be baited into buying HoTs as i can still play WvW without it, i just won’t have the specializations (meh anyway), If needed i can buy HoTs for 10 pounds from G2A or something coz you sure as hell don’t deserve 35 pounds.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

(edited by GROMIT.7829)

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

We are eager to see the strategic play that develops from the Desert Borderlands with its new mechanics, unique objectives, astounding beauty and layout that both supports team fights in some areas while breaking up blobs in other areas.
We look forward to putting a greater emphasis on holding objectives through auto-upgrades and on guilds through the guild claiming system, a system that gives players new ways to play the game and tools to defeat their opponents.

We hope you enjoy the live stream of our second stress test coming up next and we will see you on the battlefield.

Thank You.

The map is absolutely stunning in regards to the artwork, but it is absolutely horrible in regards to game play. It seems like everything the hard core WvW players have been telling you for the past couple of years fell on deaf ears. Everything we specifically said we hated about maps, you decided to throw into this one.

Major issues:

1. There are freaking PvE mobs all over the place, some of which are quite the pain in the kitten to deal with. Why? Seriously, if I wanted to fight PvE mobs, I would go PvE, but like most WvWers, I hate it.

2. I really don’t want to WvW in a giant jumping puzzle. Too many elevation changes, jumping locations, and confusion. I fully realize that some of this is not being intimately familiar with the new map, but at the same time …it is grossly overdone.

3. Stupid gimmicks all over the place. If EOTM were a crack addict and had a baby, it would be this map.

4. Way too large. Bigger maps are good if the terrain was flatter and had less twists/turns and NPCs ….but bigger in addition to all the other crap just gets in the way of game play.

I suspect my thoughts (which are completely echoed by members of my entire guild) will fall on deaf ears, but this map is basically everything we hate about EOTM on steroids. We want large, flat areas free of NPCs to fight in, mixed in with some places that smaller forces can use to spread out and choke a large force if they are tactically smart and out play them. We don’t want stupid gimmicks that get in the way of game play (like the ones there now), but we DO want some mechanics in place that help to spread out blobs. The current implementation on the new map is crap.

My advice is this:

1. Shrink the map so it splits the difference between the old map and the current implementation in half. That away it is larger than the old maps to help spread things out, but not too large like the current map.

2. Get rid of the freaking NPCs. My preference would be to get rid of all of them, but perhaps you could put some ‘camps’ in out of the way places and away from traffic flow at a drastically increased XP/loot bonus to entice people to farm them (and entice gankers to farm the farmers)

3. Flatten the map out some and make it feel less like a jumping puzzle in places.

4. Get rid of the overdone mechanics. They get in the way of game play, not encourage it. If you want mechanics in place to spread out the fights, do something like making it a requirement to hold two ‘towers’ before a ‘keep’ can be taken …or something similar. It doesn’t have to be ‘that’, but you get the idea. Something simplistic to achieve the required effects.

This is another problem, Too many WvW players disagree about what WvW should be.
Personally I like what I have seen from the new map. (except for the NPC’s) I love that it breaks up zerging. But not everyone agrees with me, nor do I agree with everyone else. I would quit the game if they followed the above options 1, 3, and 4.

LOL you would quit the game over a map that has not even been implemented yet?
Yea..Okay that REALLY affects your game play when most players are in wvw to fight actual players instead of for gimmicks. I mean if having 1 player quit who wants jumping puzzles and PVE in WvW for every 500 that leave over them, then I guess it is a good trade? The VAST majority of wvwv players actually want to play on EBG, ( even though I rarely do go there anymore), so it would only make sense to make more maps like EBG in play at once to accommodate them. Some of these people sit in que in Lion’s arch for hours rather than go to any map other than EBG they hate them so much. It is understandable to leave when a game does not allow you to play with family or friends, but if a map is less gimmicky? Really? LOL

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

@ANET

Words are cheap, to date your actions in regard to WvW show that it is an afterthought.

Your own devs state that people who just WvW are an “exception”.

Show us some solid and asked for WvW enhancements before HOT and we may believe you.

Right now, sorry pal, not feeling it.

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I sure hope ANET is right and the desert borderlands map is popular. I was extremely worried during the last 24 hour test. As soon as the 3 hour tournament was over, it seemed that a majority of people left the maps and returned to the regular WvW maps. If it was fun, wouldn’t they have stayed?

We will find out soon enough.

in WvW

Posted by: illenos.5134

illenos.5134

This post! Anet wasn’t able to respond to anything regarding golem rush, they’ve locked a lot of players on servers without any warning – yeah there was a forum post but it was at least worth a real announcement or anything like this – within just 2 weeks…and the small fact that there isn’t a real development since release. Should this statement defuse the current situation? A wall of text and you are not even able to tell us anything new.

OT:

Your own devs state that people who just WvW are an “exception”.

It wasn’t just a dev…it was the Anet president himself what makes everything even worse. T_T

Awwdorable – roaming princess, awesome qq’er,
incredible flamer, part-time forum warrior, salty as
kitten!

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

We’ve seen a concentration of talent as hardcore players from most worlds have migrated upwards through the tiers looking for new experiences and greater challenge. Because this talent tends to be concentrated at the top, MMR has correctly kept the most dedicated teams locked in near perpetual stand off against the same opponents week after week.

Talent does not equal paying to transfer to a stacked server, and kitten you for claiming otherwise.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

I think the replies speak volumes here.

It is up to you (Anet) to prove to us that your not all talk, balls in your court.

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

Please consider changing the underlying Base Map Mechanic.

It’s critical to involve WvW players & get their input.

It should be very easy to find hard core WvW Players.

Hint- Typically players with VERY high WvW Ranks are hard core…

You’ll make having a High WvW Rank mean something…when lately it’s been feeling like it’s meaningless.

Current 3 Worlds Fighting each other in Tiers lead to Worlds being Pigeon Holed & stuck fighting each other.

Please See this suggested New WvW Map Mechanic thread for an alternative:

Current:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Discuss-New-WvW-Map-Mechanic-v2-0/first#post5363989

Old:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Discuss-New-WvW-Map-Mechanic/first#post5352335

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

What forums and youtube streams have you been on lately? I’ve seen links to the video version of this statement in multiple places including here. So what if it took them a few days to get a red tag post for it. That is the least of our worries. It’s gamescon week & a BWE weekend so we should be getting flooded soon enough.

As to the statement itself, they pretty much have the right stuff targeted for work in the correct order so it will just have to be seen how many resources they are given to work with and how long it will take. In general WvW changes seem to come 6mo or so after talked about so we are looking at next spring for a lot this. Will be interesting to see where things are then but I expect the novelty of HoT ought to last at least till then for most of us.

Psst, here’s the link on the wvw forum for the video .

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/World-Population-Changes-Are-Coming/page/13#post5348354

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

+1
we need a backroll to old stabi for wvw or a target limit on all cc skills/walls to stop this kitten boring pirate shi(p)t meta

No.

Why would anyone wanna still play GWEN / hammertrain ? if anything there is still too much of it remaining and thuis the game balance needs to move forward not backward. Anyone incapable of adapting needs to just die off.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

+1

No.

Why would anyone wanna still play GWEN / hammertrain ? if anything there is still too much of it remaining and thuis the game balance needs to move forward not backward. Anyone incapable of adapting needs to just die off.

Still to much of it ? Are melee not suppose to be able to engage at all ? Stupidity is why people hate the hammer train meta. If you stand there like a deer in head lights and get ran over stability is not the issue. If you blow your load on inc and all CC is nullified, stability is not the issue. Bad players are to blame not stability.

I had no problems dealing with hammer trains as an Ele, sounds like you are one of the ones that couldn’t adapt.

(edited by Random.4691)

in WvW

Dusty Moon.4382

Please consider changing the underlying Base Map Mechanic.

It’s critical to involve WvW players & get their input.

You’ll make having a High WvW Rank mean something…when lately it’s been feeling like it’s meaningless.

Current 3 Worlds Fighting each other in Tiers lead to Worlds being Pigeon Holed & stuck fighting each other.

Please See this suggested New WvW Map Mechanic thread for an alternative:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Discuss-New-WvW-Map-Mechanic/first#post5352335

Actually WvW Rank means nothing – when many just k-train around EotM and get their Platinum and Mithril standings, it really does mean nothing.

They will not do factions – that is out – sorry as it doesn’t fit into ANY LORE (other than GW1: Factions and that Continent has locked the rest of Tyria out due to the Dragons).

The maps are not big enough for more than three groups fighting and doing things like EotM is a massive mistake since I want to WvW with my Guild and my server (server pride here), not some random map people from other servers.

As far as opinions, when they did the ‘Adopt a Dev campaign’, in WvW, yes my guild chatted with Dev’s in team Chat. It was obvious to us they were interested with our opinions, etc. The Dev’s actually saw what happens day to day in WvW, not just when they ‘drop in’ and I think this is where all the ideas are coming from. People have given opinions (if you did adopt a dev) and what is coming out is partially from that.

in WvW

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Nothing about cheating issues?
They seem so common across the game and in wvw where it bothers so many people.

They mainly care if you are rude/insult someone on the forum and if players affect the in game economy in some way negative while all other game issues take a back seat.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Add rally mechanic to issue list – 1 uplevel death should not rally 5,10,15 etc people….. No rally or 1 for 1 in FIFO or lifo order would be much better….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: illenos.5134

illenos.5134

Most platinum players and higher have just farmed enemies in EotM or with their blobs in regular WvW…or they need to get a job or anything like this. I know a lot of hardcore players who are around 1.5k – 2k ranks because they normally try to avoid blobbing or EotM for some intense “small” scale fights or stuff like that.
There are also a lot of players within this range who are just new brain dead karma zombies so ranks are totally useless for determining if a players is hardcore or has skill or anything else.
It’s like the PvP rank: I have killed so many dragon rank roamers because a lot of them just farmed their rank and are now out there roaming with cheese condi builds and in addition they try to catch you off guard…there are some dragon ranks with no skill and some who are just a pleasure to fight.

Awwdorable – roaming princess, awesome qq’er,
incredible flamer, part-time forum warrior, salty as
kitten!

in WvW

Posted by: Dancing Face.4695

Dancing Face.4695

Let’s summarize :" We know there are issues in wvw and we are working on it . Something will be done but much more will be done in the expansion. Buy it to see the fixes".

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Let’s summarize :" We know there are issues in wvw and we are working on it . Something will be done but much more will be done in the expansion. Buy it to see the fixes".

No, what he said was that AFTER HoT is released WvW will be the focus of the dev team. You will not need to buy the expansion to receive whatever gets implemented to solve the problems he outlined. You don’t even need to buy it to get the guildhall benefits, you just can’t help your guild build them if you don’t have HoT.

Personally, I am very encouraged by this video. Clearly John Corpening understands the major issues that dog WvW and we now know that they ARE being worked on. We haven’t been completely ignored and now the real question is the amount of resources Anet is going to devote to WvW after HoT is released…..

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Guys you are being so cynical. I’ve been highly critical myself of the lack of attention for WvW but let’s give them a chance here: The new map looks great and they are aware of the issues we brought up.

Let’s see what comes out of this, hopefully the server system will improve and so will the PPT/Reward system. Personally I just wished they would keep the Alpine map and bring EotM in the PPT rotation as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Guys you are being so cynical. I’ve been highly critical myself of the lack of attention for WvW but let’s give them a chance here: The new map looks great and they are aware of the issues we brought up.

Let’s see what comes out of this, hopefully the server system will improve and so will the PPT/Reward system. Personally I just wished they would keep the Alpine map and bring EotM in the PPT rotation as well.

Not raging, flaming or anything but:
- What chance are you talking about?
3 Years not enough?

In my opinion it’s about time to stop using words such as “please”, and start demanding stuff.

It’s not F2P game.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

The biggest is population imbalance. The current team structure has led to a number of issues such as low population in some worlds while overpopulation on a few worlds gives them queues on many nights of the week.

We’ve seen a concentration of talent as hardcore players from most worlds have migrated upwards through the tiers looking for new experiences and greater challenge. Because this talent tends to be concentrated at the top, MMR has correctly kept the most dedicated teams locked in near perpetual stand off against the same opponents week after week.

My two cents on the whole server capping, pop imbalance thing. Yes I agree it’s a problem. No you’re not going about it correctly. So you just locked people out of the more competitive tiers in hopes that people will transfer down to the lower tiers and give more of a spread to competitive wvw, this is a good idea in theory but what about new players that want to play with their friends? That is my personal situation currently, I have a friend who would like to play with me and a few of our other friends, the problem is we are all on Yaks Bend so it will be impossible for him to play with us on wvw any time soon (if ever). Now the only option available to us is to all transfer down to a lower tier server, which I wouldn’t be too opposed to if it wasn’t going to cost us $35 per person. If you really want people to spread to multiple servers open up free server transfers. You’ll have multiple people going down to the lower servers to play with their friends (or for a fresh environment). This doesn’t have to be a permanent change, only long enough for people to spread out across the servers and allow guilds to find new homes on the lower servers. Right now it honestly just looks to me like a cash grab on your guys’ part because you just want more people to pay for gems to transfer, but in reality this just makes my friend group not want to play because we can’t play with our friend unless we spend $140 total. Which sounds better, 5 people buying heart of thorns or 5 people spending $35 for the gems to transfer.

TL;DR
Make server transfers free to the non full servers to get people off the full servers.

There are realistically like 10 people in all of WvWvW in this whole game that are actual true friends with someone and want to play WvWvW with them. And sorry, I don’t count ex guild mates, forum friends, or FB friends as friends. Only real friends count as friends.

That quote made me lol nicely…

I know of a guild that has 14 members, they are all from the same family…
I know another guild, it’s mostly filled with Husbands and Wives above 30 years old.

And over the 3 years of playing the game, I have also met quite a few couples that play the game together, live together and raid together.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Not raging, flaming or anything but:
- What chance are you talking about?
3 Years not enough?

In my opinion it’s about time to stop using words such as “please”, and start demanding stuff.

It’s not F2P game.

Then they can choose not to respond at all. They have your money, it’s not a monthly sub game.

Honestly, be optimistic for once. Encourage rather than scold. See if you grow roses instead of the brown stuff.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: hamster bryan.8469

hamster bryan.8469

yust give wvw a full reset at launch of HOT or something.
let al ppl make the choise again 1 time for free and force that al servers start ath 0

my guild members cant get in the same servers because it is full
and it wil take a very long time for that server to get the lock of because there are way to many active players on it

by giving the full reset to wvw .
yes server wil go full again but the lock down wil be shorter so guildys en friends wil have the possibility to join much sooner

and because servers wil be full faster the lower ranked wvw worlds wil get equal much faster

it wil clear up al problems in 1 time without locking of some worlds for over a half year or so

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Interesting that we hadn’t heard about this statement in the forums until now. No WvW forum regulars got invited as PvE streamers took all the slots? Or maybe some did but took the statement as the usual non-newsworthy spin?

Reyana and Chemsorly are hardly PvE streamers.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

yust give wvw a full reset at launch of HOT or something.
let al ppl make the choise again 1 time for free and force that al servers start ath 0

my guild members cant get in the same servers because it is full
and it wil take a very long time for that server to get the lock of because there are way to many active players on it

by giving the full reset to wvw .
yes server wil go full again but the lock down wil be shorter so guildys en friends wil have the possibility to join much sooner

and because servers wil be full faster the lower ranked wvw worlds wil get equal much faster

it wil clear up al problems in 1 time without locking of some worlds for over a half year or so

It actually doesn’t clear up any of the problems or have equal matches this way at all due to there not actually being enough non prime time players to spread across all the servers open. You can fill a world alone from Prime time players and still not have 24/7 coverage. Even worse, you could get a situation where all the PST, OCX, SEA and EU players are on one server rather than how they are currently spread out on competing servers. You want 24/7 coverage not just " full servers" and you do not accomplish that through a reset. That would only make things much more imbalanced for a while while players resettle. All of the communities that are on Team speak together will just communicate which server to go to and restack specific servers leaving the PUGs behind. This will just create extremely strong wvw servers and extremely weak ones, even moreso than they do now due to organized guilds being able to leave the pugs behind. It just leaves the random players out of the loop, allowing the organized players to be that much more effective since PUGs will not be taking up map space.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

@Dusty Moon & illenos

I get the server pride thing. I actually have that for my Home World.

Hmmm…I never stick my head out of the WvW maps too often. You’re probably correct about Platinum & Mithril players.

My Gold rank was based off my solo camp capping.

I’m glad the Developers got a chance to talk to you (Dusty Moon). It sounds like you play a lot of WvW.

I’d hate to come across you (illenos)…because my build is pure camp capper. I’d loose in PvP to you. My main reason for playing is to fight for my Home World. We need good PvP players that can often turn the tide against solo cappers like myself.

ANet needs to really change the base Map Mechanic on how Match Ups get done. The current Tier & 3 Worlds fighting will always be a huge Pigeon Hole that leads to stagnation.

ANet can still use the 4 WvW Maps as they are, but break out of the Tier System & allow players to “freely” choose who they want to fight against by changing the Base Map Mechanic.

Going to sound like a broken record…but here it goes again:

Using current NA Matchup & Alpine map as a reference.

There would be 24 Worlds. Each World would be assigned 4 Maps.

The 4 Maps would be setup for the following use:

Red Map – Player’s Home Base

Green Map – Open Enemy
Blue Map – Open Enemy
Eternal Battle – Open Enemy

Players can only Enter as an Ally if they choose any Map connected to their Home World Base.

Players Enter as an Enemy-Guest if they choose any Map that is NOT connected to their Home World Base.

Edit – Shameless plug to New WvW Map Mechanic thread:

Current:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Discuss-New-WvW-Map-Mechanic-v2-0/first#post5363989

Old:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Discuss-New-WvW-Map-Mechanic

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Thank you very much for posting this, it is good to get some communication, and feel that WvW is being noticed and heard.

I’m glad to see that the DCI threads has been used, and that John Corpening has recognized the core issues of WvW (PPT, Coverage and Population) and I’m looking forward to see/hear what you plan to do with this. I must also admit to being a bit worried as well, those three issues are so important that the slightest miss can wreck things even further.

As work on Heart of Thorns wraps up, we’ll be treating resolving the remaining core areas in WvW as our #1 live development feature priority for the game to ensure we deliver on making World vs. World not just the great experience it is today - but the incredible experience we know it can be. As this effort ramps up you will be hearing more from us about the work in progress.

Well, I’m very excited about this. Slightly sceptical, but willing to be positive

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Was kinda surprised no one posted the twitch link for his speech before this, or maybe I missed it.
It’s here anyways http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/9113456?t=8m41s
At this point.. yeah we’ll see what happens I guess.. hard to get excited by anet these days.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill