WvW Lag March 2015

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Zurchin.8479

Zurchin.8479

just had 2 massive lag spikes and 5 disconnects from server in wvw in the past hour, finally gave up and logged out, almost as annoying as the skill lag.

Zee Bear Claw [GLAD]
Aurora Glade

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: skruffs.1075

skruffs.1075

Playing wvw on jade sea map last night and im on deso server. Everytime we got close to the other servers to fight it became a lag fest and to me pretty much unplayable when we came into contact with both other servers at the same time.

This is ruining wvw for me and has been like this for a couple months I think now, but noticably worse to the point I’m now giving up playing wvw and actually logged out on reset night!.

Is this still being looked into? is there anything I can do to fix this for myself?

Thanks in advance

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: TearsOfHeaven.2908

TearsOfHeaven.2908

Hi, I’m from Malaysia and play on Jade Quarry and for the past week i have been having problems playing wvw during OCX and SEA time, i pinged to the server and results came back fine but upon engagement with bg/tc i get massive skill lag/delay and it becomes totally unplayable (while ping tracing still shows that it has no issues pinging). I can play totally fine during NA timing though. Anyone else experiencing this?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I think that has to do with your location. I have been playing during those times on JQ all this week and have not had any difficulty. Which map where you on that was problematic? I was on BGBL.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: TearsOfHeaven.2908

TearsOfHeaven.2908

Hmm, mine was generally any map on wvw, on engagement with the opposite side i get massive skill lags.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Tiru.5760

Tiru.5760

I bet my all gold for… that its because of the stab changes still. Server cant manage to calculate everything together when it comes to bigger numbers..

Leader of Almost Harmless [AH] @Seafarer’s Rest

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Coming up to 2 months and still hasn’t been fixed. What’s up Anet?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Tons of skill lag in JQ BL and EB last night, heck just running out of spawn couldnt get any skills off.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Seems this issue is ongoing and also bleeding into PvP now.
Something seriously wrong with the megaserver or something.

Pinging in game IP yielded ~230ms ping.
In game I was running on over 3000 ms until the end of the match, as soon as I got back into HotM it stabilized again.

Unfortunately I lost the screengrab, god knows how, but yeah.

Fix this please.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Coming up to 2 months and still hasn’t been fixed. What’s up Anet?

It’s simple, the cycle has begun once again!

We will not hear anything for another 6 months where another mod/dev will appear to say they will help and look into it, only for them to disappear as well.

For 3 years we’ve had this cycle! The answer is therefore they cannot fix it! Yet they lead us on instead of admitting the truth.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

The big problem here is it can be all DDOS attacks that is going on that the server get hurt by even if it’s not there servers that get attacked, because not all have lag issues at the same time.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

BTW, Stephen,

If you’re still checking out this thread, I’d like to thank you for all the work and feedback you and the team provided to make WvW more playable.

I just want to point out that there is still lag. WvW is not nearly as smooth as it was before this patch. Perhaps you’ve exhausted all your resources and this issue needs to go back to the programmers or whoever is responsible for the code of the game that caused this to begin with.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Arcan Soulstorm.4356

Arcan Soulstorm.4356

T4 EU, Lag is still present. Especially lagspikes during fights, including a disconnect in my first fight this evening. New personal best regarding the “ping”: 4.131

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Flugsau.2358

Flugsau.2358

NA T2 Yak’s Bend . I live in Europe but the lag was rarely that consistent , getting through a portal (Tower/Keep) takes several seconds , roughly 3~4, sometimes longer , which causes alot of deaths when zergs chase me . every skill also takes several seconds to activate, making it hard to use them efficiently . The lag occurs every few minutes and stays for a few then dissapears almost completly , making it hard to even try and adjust the gameplay to the lag itself .-. drivers up to date , bandwidth all unused . would be glad if this gets resolved anytime soon so WvW is less frustrating again .

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

NA T2 Yak’s Bend . I live in Europe but the lag was rarely that consistent , getting through a portal (Tower/Keep) takes several seconds , roughly 3~4, sometimes longer , which causes alot of deaths when zergs chase me . every skill also takes several seconds to activate, making it hard to use them efficiently . The lag occurs every few minutes and stays for a few then dissapears almost completly , making it hard to even try and adjust the gameplay to the lag itself .-. drivers up to date , bandwidth all unused . would be glad if this gets resolved anytime soon so WvW is less frustrating again .

NA playing on Yaksbend and experiencing the same issue. I’m having ~2 to ~3 second skill lag. Ping is around 90 and my FPS is about 45

Baer

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: blim.6320

blim.6320

I see they still have not fixed this game.

I really see no point in playing, it is totally unplayable or ropy the best of times.

I shouldn’t have to look at my skill bar to see if the game is lagging.

My latency can be as low as 20ms but even in a good battle that sits around 50+.

My skill lag is all the time too regardless of latency. Skills that are ment to be instant cast are delayed. The cooldown on all my skills are 1 second longer then it’s ment to be, that’s 1000ms.

This game has always felt ropy to me and when you hit 80 and want to play things like wvw it’s such a let down. I’m so disappointed with this game, it’s so mediocre.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

UNPLAYABLE SKILL LAG IN EB for BG how long is this garbage going to go on the constant lag and skilllag could not do anything against a constant double team, could not even use skills at spawn, 3 years into the game and this crap is still going on. Could not use heals or utilities properly.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Yikes. I’m tier 6 and don’t have any lag issues. I will say that last match up we were t5 and we had a 3 way server fight in SM and yes I did get skill lag.. Like others pointed out, that has been happening for as long as I’ve been in WvW but being on a more lower tier server, that is the only time I really get skill lag.

Also I once had bad lag /skill lag for the entire week and someone here suggested I type /ip and let them know the last 3 numbers of the IP. After I posted that info it looked like (IIRC) ip 161 and 162 were bad. The servers on those IP’s seem to be causing the lag issue as the week after my lag was gone and I was on a different IP.

Not sure what the outcome of those ips were but I do recall the dev here moving EBG map to some new hardware to see if that fixed it but then had to go elsewhere to work on something else.

I think anet is doing patching/working on HoT behind the scenes and it causes lag for some servers. I recall a few times in WvW getting horrible lag for about 1 hour and then all the sudden the “New build message” popped up, which makes me think whatever patch they were working on caused the lag issue.

I worked with computers in the network department for many many years, I took care of all the upgrades/updates etc etc and there was times where I would be testing something out, in its own separate domain, in a different building but my boss would call and ask what I was doing because others were calling in complaining that there computers were running slow/sluggish. Every time I got that call I indeed was patching/updating something or remoted into a server only to find it doing some sort of update.

I was mainly trained or learned by trial and error so maybe our network wasn’t the best and I’m no way by far a network genius but just from what I’ve experienced, patching and upgrading behind the scenes cause computers and servers to act flaky.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

(edited by briggah.7910)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Insane lagg again in Deso border with 3 way fights.

How long until fix?

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Manvaeris.9857

Manvaeris.9857

Are there any news?

Elementalist of [Salt] – Kodash

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Orochimaru.4730

Are there any news?

They reduced the number of players on each map.

Since they have not done anything else, take this to be their “solution” .
Yup their solution is to let fewer people play!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Manvaeris.9857

Manvaeris.9857

Are there any news?

They reduced the number of players on each map.

Since they have not done anything else, take this to be their “solution” .
Yup their solution is to let fewer people play!

I experience the map cap every night during our guildraids.

It is really great when you play on a borderland with 2 other guilds, you get an exe-crash and find yourself on pos. 25 in a queue, who is not moving at all. That is the point where you can only do two things: 1. go offline or 2. hope that one of the other guilds leave the map.

We need a fix. Really soon. Many WvWers left to play other games already.

Elementalist of [Salt] – Kodash

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

The lag spikes are seriously terrible.

CCCP….

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

They were bad as well during SEA/OCX time zone recently. I am unsure if it is a result of the an upcoming patch or because of the upcoming stress test. We know they are server side because most are skill lag related.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

prediction: Next week the lag will be epic.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

briggah.7910

Even I posted about lag in the past but my ISP recently sent me a new modem since they claimed my old one was slow and outdated. Guess what happened after I changed it? No more lag for me. No more skill lag in 3 way SM fights. Others around me were complaining about the lag yet I had none what so ever. Maybe I just got lucky that night but in a way it looks like my old modem caused me to lag.. As long as I’ve played I always got skill lag in 3 way fights in SM and was surprised I received none after changing my modem.

Player Vs Everyone

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Orochimaru.4730

Even I posted about lag in the past but my ISP recently sent me a new modem since they claimed my old one was slow and outdated. Guess what happened after I changed it? No more lag for me. No more skill lag in 3 way SM fights. Others around me were complaining about the lag yet I had none what so ever. Maybe I just got lucky that night but in a way it looks like my old modem caused me to lag.. As long as I’ve played I always got skill lag in 3 way fights in SM and was surprised I received none after changing my modem.

Do you like haggis?

So a new modem fixed lag for you, it may fix lag for others, but it is not the only cause and solution for lag.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

briggah.7910

Do you like haggis?

So a new modem fixed lag for you, it may fix lag for others, but it is not the only cause and solution for lag.

I know this but since this worked for me I figured I’d share it with others.

Player Vs Everyone

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: cillard.3986

cillard.3986

The ANET side of the problem needs to get resolved before they can have any reasonable expectation for WvWers to purchase the xpac.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

The ANET side of the problem needs to get resolved before they can have any reasonable expectation for WvWers to purchase the xpac.

It is not only in WvW this is happening lately with skills that take forever to activate. Playing in PvE (do not yet play Dungeons or Fractals) can be really tricky when your skills wont work and this are slowly killing my interest for this game. :-(

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Cotl.2608

Cotl.2608

Just a note while I’m here (dc’d along with several of my guildies in a wvw lag spike).

I appreciate it’s difficult to fix these problems or find the cause. I don’t expect a quick fix. That said, it’s been about a month since I started raiding again in wvw. Took a year break and decided to come back with the new changes. I’m having a pretty good time for the most part, just keeping it casual and having fun.

The lag during late NA and OCX on SoS is bad. The skill lag from huge SM fights back in the day has nothing on it. It doesn’t affect anything else (youtube, TS, etc.), and this is a shared experience, so I assume it to be GW2 wvw servers. At any given point in raid, multiple guildies are getting kicked or receiving lag that makes the game unplayable. I don’t mean like high latency type lag, but 3-15 seconds in between ‘lucid’ periods of playability, usually lasting about a half second – a chaotic hodge-podge of skills attempted, damage taken, and rubber banding. Generally followed by disconnection from the server and an inability to log back in for a minute or so, which is a rather frustrating setback, especially in a competitive environment.

Again, I don’t expect a quick fix, but it’s really bumming a few hundred of us out in my guild alone, and I know it’s not isolated to us.

Is it a money thing? Would new/more CPUs help? More servers? Would it help if we organized a wvw server fund drive? If there is something, anything we can do to speed this up, please let us know.

EDIT: It was roughly 20-30 minutes in-between getting disconnected (not including period of unplayable lag) and successfully re-logging in to wvw in this particular instance. I regret to say this is not the first instance. Thank you for your time.

SoS – member of Tactical Fury [TF]

(edited by Cotl.2608)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

I put together a fix for a pretty nasty performance issue on our game servers. This should make it into our next release so I’d be curious to see if it makes a noticeable improvement. The bug looks like it was introduced around when this thread popped up.

I also got a couple client improvements that should help reduce framerate hitching with lower-mid range video cards and/or higher shader settings. Coming next release, too.

-Bill

(edited by BillFreist.1527)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

Thanks for the frank admission Bill, and for coding in a fix. It’s much appreciated. Fingers crossed it works as intended!!

I’m going to score this at full time as:

Players who had lag 1, white knights trying to deflect blame on to players 0.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Julenal.3907

Julenal.3907

Thanks for the frank admission Bill, and for coding in a fix. It’s much appreciated.

+1

GM of Finnish gaming community guild “Frozen Dawn” [FD] since GW2 announce
GW player of 14+kh and Passionate Mind Wracker since 2005

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I also got a couple client improvements that should help reduce framerate hitching with lower-mid range video cards and/or higher shader settings. Coming next release, too.

Oooh does this mean whats probably shader effects causing framerate to tank might be fixed by this? Most notable seen during Shaman, where you have like 15 fps (which is considered “normal” when 60 peeps clusterkittens a boss) and then suddenly, without any visual differences in the ongoing battle, it goes to 60+ fps silky smooth… Only to drop to 15 fps again like 10 seconds later.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Julenal.3907

Julenal.3907

I put together a fix for a pretty nasty performance issue on our game servers. This should make it into our next release so I’d be curious to see if it makes a noticeable improvement. The bug looks like it was introduced around when this thread popped up.

-Bill

Wait, it is now 1 AM at Seattle? I just want to point this out: only dev communicating with WvW-community during this week is doing it at his free time. Props to Bill.

GM of Finnish gaming community guild “Frozen Dawn” [FD] since GW2 announce
GW player of 14+kh and Passionate Mind Wracker since 2005

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Nemaides.6873

Nemaides.6873

-Bill

Yay, finally.

All hail the king !

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Fenda.1398

Fenda.1398

[snip]
-Bill

First of all, thanks – performance issues being fixed is always appreciated. But while we’re at it – can something be done about the horribly low framerate when 20+ players are on the screen while neither CPU nor GPU, RAM, HDD or whatnot are at their limits? Please make the game less CPU bound and make it utilize the power of the GPU. Anything below stable 60fps (which nobody can reach even when setting their game to graphics equal to the good old Amiga days when too many people are on screen or just in range) is just not acceptable, especially if you have a PC which should easily be capable of keeping the game at 60+ fps. Would help with the responsiveness of skills as well.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

Hurray someone’s here! : )

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

-Bill

mate if u succed, they should give you a pot of gold colins. Really

Anyway thanksfor your work and update.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Are DX11 and/or 64-bit clients a pipe dream. or are they something that ANet might be willing to look into after HoT? A performance patch would do the game good in lieu of the next feature pack.

Even if he knew the answer to that, regardless of what it was… he likely isn’t going to definitively say no if they aren’t looking into it and he wouldn’t be allowed to say yes, without getting permission to do so, if they are.

However, while performance patches may happen and would definitely be welcome, I find it extremely unlikely that they would be changing the DirectX version they use… because they likely want to avoid changing the minimum requirements for the game.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Perkinz.5362

Perkinz.5362

-Bill

Thank you!

The stuttering from the shaders is atrocious, even on my 780ti.

Every little performance improvement is greatly appreciated.

I mean, this game runs like kitten and has a long way to go before it performs at a truly acceptable level——-But even still, every single performance improvement—-even if it is small—-is truly welcome and appreciated.

Once again, thank you!

Here’s hoping for more such improvements in the future!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

-Bill

Are DX11 and/or 64-bit clients a pipe dream. or are they something that ANet might be willing to look into after HoT? A performance patch would do the game good in lieu of the next feature pack.

I would be very dissapointed if they would waste time in a 64 bits client.
It is a waste of time.

to explain why and take away an important misconception and difference between situations. Lets put down two (current) situations:

1: Running a 32 bits process (aka program) on a 32 bits system limits the entire system to 4 GB memory.
2: running a 32 bits process on a 64 bits window limits that single process to 4 GB of memory.

In the first situation, where windows is allready using 2 GB of memory, the rest of the entire system is limited to 2 GB max, giving a game like GW2 maybe 1 GB of memory. That makes the lack of memory the bottleneck and severely limits the performance.

If you look at the second situation, the game is limited to 4 GB in total (a lot more) and the lack of memory is no longer the bottleneck. The bottleneck for GW2 now is the fact that it is a big single process and so is handled by a single core (make your other 3-7 cores workless). As making the client 64bits, doesn’t change this, it will also no improve performance at all. Just as DX11 (that mainly exist tot support 64 bits processes) is not improving performance at all cause it is not the lack of memory thats an issue, but the cpu itself.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

And with this fix will we see the map cap rise raised back to the original limit?!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Conditioned.2467

Conditioned.2467

Anet has added a “How to Address Lag” guide: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91354558-How-to-Address-Lag

As you can see from the guide, you probably just need to update your drivers. I wish this was sarcasm, but the guide actually mentions updating drivers several times…

Funny that they don’t have an option of ‘server is lagging, you can’t do anything’ there as a possibility for lag. Same type of quality as when you read something on this forums you have to login then find the thread again. Most forums when you login bring you to the same spot you already were (this could be a client setting of mine admittedly, shouldn’t be tho).

(edited by Conditioned.2467)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Timelord.8190

And what about the skill lag back from day one? When will that get fixed?

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

Not sure if we’re referring to the same or not but Thief class have 0.75 skill delay on all animations compared to other classes which are on-demand. I’d like to know when this’ll be getting fixed as it has been around since launch….

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Not sure if we’re referring to the same or not but Thief class have 0.75 skill delay on all animations compared to other classes which are on-demand. I’d like to know when this’ll be getting fixed as it has been around since launch….

Lulwat? Most Thief skills are instant compared to other classes that suffer long skill activation times. Not counting weapons, Necro for example have 4 skills that are instant. Theif has 13.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: DemonNinja.1602

DemonNinja.1602

-Bill

Transparency and communication to the WvW community! I LOVE IT! Give me more please!!!

Aerilon Starsider
Elementalist Extraordinaire
http://twitch.tv/dustydemonninja

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Timelord.8190

I was talking about skill lag in general. Which happens to all of the players in big fights or during heavy activity all over the map. I’ve also noticed that some skills activate easier than others during lag. I guess it’s hidden ruleset in anets code that lets easy to process skills like warrior gs 1 and like that to pass throug. But harder skills to process like well of corruption almost or meteor shower on Ele amost never go throug. To cast it you have to wait 10 sec or so. It’s very annoying that the server prioritizes warrior skills over eles AoE fields, just cause it requires less processing power. This gamemode is far from smooth.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)