WvW Lag March 2015

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Looking forward to this, the 3-way skill lag issues are a major problem in WvW.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: cyanfish.9521

cyanfish.9521

After this goes live, will you evaluate whether the map cap can be raised back to its previous level?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I put together a fix for a pretty nasty performance issue on our game servers. This should make it into our next release so I’d be curious to see if it makes a noticeable improvement. The bug looks like it was introduced around when this thread popped up.

I also got a couple client improvements that should help reduce framerate hitching with lower-mid range video cards and/or higher shader settings. Coming next release, too.

-Bill

Wvw improved for me after you did maintenance some days ago, PvE got worse, the mobs ported all over the place. That’s gone, I think since wvw reset last night but the wvw “lags” (it’s not really lags, I just can’t properly hit and my opponents seem to port from time to time) are back.
I hope that weren’t the changes you meant but the real ones are still to come ;)

(edited by Jana.6831)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I put together a fix for a pretty nasty performance issue on our game servers. This should make it into our next release so I’d be curious to see if it makes a noticeable improvement. The bug looks like it was introduced around when this thread popped up.

I also got a couple client improvements that should help reduce framerate hitching with lower-mid range video cards and/or higher shader settings. Coming next release, too.

-Bill

Wvw improved for me after you did maintenance some days ago, PvE got worse, the mobs ported all over the place. That’s gone, I think since wvw reset last night but the wvw “lags” (it’s not really lags, I just can’t properly hit and my opponents seem to port from time to time) are back.
I hope that weren’t the changes you meant but the real ones are still to come

Same here. Seemed to kick in after the golem event ended

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

-Bill

Nope. Changes to the game server almost always (aside from when we do things like disable content, etc) come from a new game build. The server maintenance the other day wasn’t part of the game server whatsoever.

-Bill

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

-Bill

Thank you, finally some help for us. When exactly is the next release?

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

-Bill

Thank you, finally some help for us. When exactly is the next release?

August. 2016. ‘soon’ Hopefully it won’t be shovelled in to a corner by HoT issues and maybe, just maybe, we might get our map caps back to normal, before all the pretty new animations on the new skill sets crash it all down again and it’s back to spam 1 and be a regen toon or die without being able to cast.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

IDK but they need to make this a priority. I just came back to game, specifically for WvW play and the lag and constant disconnects are pretty much unbearable…

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Delta.2093

Delta.2093

-Bill

Nope. Changes to the game server almost always (aside from when we do things like disable content, etc) come from a new game build. The server maintenance the other day wasn’t part of the game server whatsoever.

-Bill

Thanks for posting here, much appreciated. The game has many bugs, it’s almost normal to some extent, it’s very complex, so hunting these, checking results and constantly improving it is essential. Many thanks for letting us know about.

We still getting lags, but it’s better in the last few days or weeks… except from time to time. If we are quiet, it’s because we either have given up or because things are fine – or a bit both

Was already answered by Anet devs and it’s not an ideea that all of us like, but maybe limiting total player numbers to 90, 30 on each side and adding more maps – could create a smoother WvW-PvP experience, with less extreme lag moments. Adding more resource intensive calculations (like the stability change and not only) doesn’t help reducing lag. But it’s not up to us, devs and players, we are in this together, but the decisions are made a bit at higher level unfortunately.

Delta | Spell (M) | Bold (W) | Conde (N) | Sky (El) | Flames (G) | Heart (T)
[FUG/SG/TDT] on the Jade Quarry

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

So the lag patch is in?

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ins.7139

Ins.7139

If implemented and working can we please have the old map cap limits back? /dirty blobber

[PT] Ins For Da Waaagh
www.twitch.tv/ins_for_da_wagh
PuG Commander, blobbing it up since 2012!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

Is this in game? can we get a confirmation?

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Hvaran.6327

If implemented and working can we please have the old map cap limits back? /dirty blobber

ins go test gather a blob, come on i know missis is not home

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Hvaran.6327

i’m sorry for spamminjg but how is lags boiz? any changes?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

My changes are in, but I’m not claiming they are the cure to all lag. There was just a few issues that I fixed, but one in particular was really bad when a map had been open for a while. So I’m hoping that the map should remain consistent during its full lifetime, and not have its performance steadily degrade over time.

Still, I’d be curious of how your experience is compared to pre-patch over the next few days.

-Bill

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

X T D.6458

My changes are in, but I’m not claiming they are the cure to all lag. There was just a few issues that I fixed, but one in particular was really bad when a map had been open for a while. So I’m hoping that the map should remain consistent during its full lifetime, and not have its performance steadily degrade over time.

Still, I’d be curious of how your experience is compared to pre-patch over the next few days.

-Bill

I think I know what issue you are referring to, at random times I would all of a sudden get sudden massive drops in fps and lag like crazy, the game became unplayable, this would occur usually from being on a map to long, but at random times, and even if just being afk. It was so bad that I could not even close the game the regular way, I had to minimize it and shut it down manually from the task manager.

From doing pretty much everything against all size of groups in t1 maps tonight, it was pretty smooth, I get a little skill delay occasionally in heavy fights, but its better then before. Thanks.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Thanks for the work you put in Bill.

Bad Elementalist

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Stephen ClarkeWillson

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

ArenaNet Studio Technical Director

Next

We’ve been tracking WvW server perf and as a result we have increased the map capacities by 10 for each team. We’ll keep tracking and look at further increases over the next week.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

This is great, thanks for the work on this Bill and Stephen, and for keeping us updated. Much appreciated.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

X T D.6458

We’ve been tracking WvW server perf and as a result we have increased the map capacities by 10 for each team. We’ll keep tracking and look at further increases over the next week.

Many of us have been wondering for a very long time, are the map caps for each server actually equal for each map, dont have to give the actual number, but are they actually equal because sometimes….

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

Next

The number of players allowed in per team all follow the same rules on all instances of each WvW map.

The numbers you see on the World Transfer screen are based on the number of players who have signed up for that world: what we call the membership count – which is not the same thing as the number of players active at any one time for that world.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Deso/SFR/Piken on Deso BL and EB seems as ‘bad’ as usual, at least it feels like it.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

X T D.6458

The number of players allowed in per team all follow the same rules on all instances of each WvW map.

The numbers you see on the World Transfer screen are based on the number of players who have signed up for that world: what we call the membership count – which is not the same thing as the number of players active at any one time for that world.

Thanks for clearing that up, theres always been speculation that green somehow is able to get more players on a map, and eb has different caps for each side, and all that stuff. At least we know now its all equal

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

AND therefore it is not a relevant representation of the wvw population. Why would you decide that and not make a real survey/monitoring of servers??!!

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Hvaran.6327

-Bill

bro ty for your work, but on EU tonight in 3 way (almsot full zones) had lags today all ppl from guild. Just skill dellays and a bit rubberish.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

WTF? This only helps a server that HAS a Q’d map. I don’t know what kind of favoritism or bunk you folks are playing over there at Anet but, it’s ticking some of us off completely.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

We had zerg vs zerg inside EB keep Fsp vs Riverside and it was starting to lag a little already. I guess if all three sides meet it would be lagging harder. For zerging it’s acceptable, but roamers would feel it more.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Cotl.2608

Cotl.2608

Thanks for keeping us updated Bill, it’s encouraging to have open communication

SoS – member of Tactical Fury [TF]

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

-Bill

hi Bill,

Thank you for working on the lag issue – your hard work is appreciated.

An update on our experience from T1 SEA prime is that last night JQ experienced probably the worst lag it has experienced in the last year or more.

I suspect this isn’t a coincidence.

We have huge blob fights on EB between JQ+BG+TC during SEA prime almost every night.

It lags a “normal” amount during those fights (maybe 0.5 to 2 seconds on skills) but we don’t usually get disconnects or 30 to 180 second skill lag.

I was in a tower when TC + BG engaged in a normal blob fight and all my skills stopped working and then I got disconnected. I got disconnected 2 other times.

In comparison, I had 3 disconnects last night versus 3 disconnects in the last year.

I checked my network and it was functioning properly. There was confirmation from TeamSpeak that many of them were experiencing the same issues. These were American, European and SEA players on TS so I don’t think it was a regional network issue either.

It’s certainly a challenging issue to fix and we thank you for taking it on but I suspect in this case there may have been a regression with this patch.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Jana.6831

Depends on what the patch should have fixed.
If I’m not mistaken it’s to prevent some sort of freezing when the map has been open for a while. Which has never occured to me, I think.
My Cloak and Dagger seem to hit more often (they would miss up to 70% of the times) but I’m not sure if that is coincidence. I had no disconnect since the patch and not before actually. My problem really was/is that my skills were very slow and that I would miss everything – that no matter whether against npcs or enemy players.
Testing some more.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

Next

Oops – what I said earlier – that the world transfer populations are based on the total membership – was true yesterday. Today we shipped a feature that shows the membership based on activity. Here’s a post about how it works now: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/World-Population-Changes-Are-Coming/first

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

gavyne.6847

Skill lag in 3-way battles are still there unfortunately.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Hvaran.6327

Oops – what I said earlier – that the world transfer populations are based on the total membership – was true yesterday. Today we shipped a feature that shows the membership based on activity. Here’s a post about how it works now: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/World-Population-Changes-Are-Coming/first

no it’s not the post how it works now :p

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: seanshine.8791

seanshine.8791

I’m curious why you increased the map cap by 30 for every map. EBG on T1 is completely unplayable right now. Not even 1111 spam casts

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I’m curious why you increased the map cap by 30 for every map. EBG on T1 is completely unplayable right now. Not even 1111 spam casts

Thing is, the cap had been reduced by quite a bit over 3 months ago by this very Dev. I don’t think even now it’s back to what it originally was?

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Burky.3091

Burky.3091

This issue was exacerbated with the stability change. Whatever was done in the patch yesterday has brought the skill lag back worse than ever, eb in the sfr/deso/piken matchup is unplayable at the moment.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

The lag on EB atm is horrible. I don’t know what you did, but if it’s due to the player cap, it might be a good idea to lower the cap slightly. This was just 2 way fights aswell, at least open field between Guilds, is playable enough, but that’s usually 20v20 or so.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.5720

Chris.5720

Yup, lag makes it completely unplayable atm on EB (SFR/Deso/Piken).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Luain.8149

Luain.8149

EB unplayable due to recent lag issues. (SFR/Deso/Piken).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: dazza.1764

dazza.1764

sfr/deso/piken matchup is unplayable at the moment.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Here is lagging again (Rs/Ar/Fsp) on EB in a 2 way fight with 3rd zerg not far away capping a tower x_x

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Jana.6831

My skills miss everything tonight in wvw (and also pve – although it’s worse in wvw probably because the opponents don’t move in pattern) -it hasn’t been that bad for a while.
Also I’m backstabbing people from the front and not backstabbing them from the back – and they really stand with the front to me while I dish out a proper backstab (a buddy of mine the other day) – it’s so weird, really.
My internet connection has got no packet loss, btw, and a constant 35 ping.(With my pingplotter, I usually don’t look at my in game ping).

Edit: Seems quite back to normal (no one on the maps besides me) and I always forget to say my server which is Gunnar’s Hold.

(edited by Jana.6831)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Tell us what the numbers cap is for each map.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Mryul.8165

Mryul.8165

EBG in T1 (sfr) was completely unplayable for most of the duration of the night, today. Like 2-3 hours of barely being able to use skill 1, healing, swapping weapons or using any other skill was pretty much impossible.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

Confirming lag on EB for mentioned deso, srf, piken was worse than ever and I play there daily. Not even 1 casted even if the other blob was several thousand units away.

I queued in 3 times but had to give up every time because of this.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Miracle.1365

Miracle.1365

WvW is unplayable right now… SkillLag is HUGE

(edited by Miracle.1365)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Worst lag in ages that I had for EB. Normally the super slow skills only happen in 3 ways, and then it’s a huge delay in skill casts mostly. Now it’s just random slowing down; One time one zerg gets 100 skills off (downing some ppl even), and enemy cant respond, sometimes it’s other way around. But the skill lets a few (sometimes very strong, like Well of suffering) skills happen, then all next skills get blocked/long slowed down. Weird kind of lag. And uneven spread lag (the uneven part of the lag is bigger then before, making battle even more unfair then they used to be). First lag that also prevented me to cast lightning flash (instant cast skill) for over 15 secs period of time of spamming it. That was always a skill that slipped relative easy true skill lag. Not anymore.

Also weird things happening with skill animations. Sometime you got cast bar, like for Either renewal but your hp aint healing. And then 10 secs later, you see you hp heal, but no cast bar or animation. Weird. Is this just a complete visual mess of the animation queues, or is it the server actually making mistakes? (lagging badly). Or combination?

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

gavyne.6847

Lag is horrible, TCBL at the moment, terrible skill lag when just 2 blobs meet, doesn’t even take 3 now.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Sanity Points.8073

Sanity Points.8073

Must say, the lag was horrendous in WvW today.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

So you raised the cap without adding a fix. That’s depressing. To me it seems like you just banging your head against the wall. I don’t get why you would raise the cap when it already is laggy (at least you should know).

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)