WvW Tournament Rewards Distribution Delay

in WvW

Posted by: Yuki Chuki.2457

Yuki Chuki.2457

While I accept that debugging takes its time, I cannot understand the Friday/Monday argument Mr Katzbach made. MMO is leisure time entertainment, as is for example Disney World. In both cases the main numbers of players/visitors will appear on weekends. It would make no sense to close Disney World over the weekend because their employees want to spend time with their family. And it makes no sense to reduce the staff of ArenaNet during weekends either. That includes developers, especially after a screw up. If anything the weekend staff should be even more numerous on weekends.

And how long do you think the company would survive if they burn out all of their employees by forcing them to work 7 days a week?

I don’t know about the US but at least here in Sweden there are actually laws that regulates how much people are allowed to work each week.

I am from Germany. We have also laws regulating working time. We stumbled over a mind-blowing concept several thousand years ago, called “shifts”. It is widely used in areas which have to provide 24/7 service, like police, hospitals and fire brigades. While you probably don’t need a full staff during the small hours (even on weekends people sleep), the aforementioned concept may help to cover weekends.

And no, you don’t need more people. You have only to distribute the working time in another way.

I’m working in the software industry and I can tell you that you wouldn’t assume that one can just simply switch to shifts ("You have only to distribute the working time in another way.) for a variety of reasons. Sorry, but you clearly have no idea how software development (and large companies in general) work at all.

Also, did you seriously just compare the need of an online game staff working 24/7 to that of hospitals/firefigthers/the police/etc. ?! As in “a service so vital people would die without”?!!
If anyone out there should be that dependable on one single game, I’d seriously suggest seeking out professional help.

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

At this point why not give everyone who completed the meta 600 tickets and give more tickets to winners later? Been a pretty long time since season was over for this to still not be fixed. I’m sure it isn’t helping WvW at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Also when u bought the game u bought it with expectations fueled by the promises of the company. Not meeting those promises leads to loss of trust and in time customers.

And you got everything they promised at the start. They didn’t tell you afterwards “so, we’re gonna make a wvw tournament, but you have to pay 10$ to enter.” you got that as a bonus. Everything they add, they add as a bonus to the original client you bought. You’re not paying for further game development.

Spira summarized very well the situation.

I am always amazed to see how little patience people have nowadays, and how much they believe to be entitled to everythink they want, whatever it may be, as soon as they want it. Probably an after-effect of the whole “Customer is king” garbage. People minds are so narrowly focused on their very own immediate pleasure.

Sit back, relax, read a book or have some sport, it will be good for you.

I think that all of the plaintifs here on this forum have failed numerous times in their life already, be it at work, school or personal life. Why can’t you understand that others also do ?
Most people here have no idea:
- at all of what a large software with multiple layers can look like
- that most developpers only have a small insight on a small part of the software, the part they are actually working on and the parts that they need to undertsand to have their code work
- that switching developers from “other teams” to the “WvW team” will only delay the issue as other team developers will have to learn how the WvW code works and, doing so, will require help and time from the well trained WvW developers
- that Anet WvW developers probably ran a lot of tests. Yet, all the tests of the world will never protect you. That is why you still have nuclear power plant or plane issues despite these two industries having extremely thorough test procedures (aside of human errors/greed). Strings of events always happen that produce unexpected outcomes. The more an event occurs, the more the least (statistically) probable issues have a chance to occur. When an event is suddenly fired several million times, such as the reward chest, you are most likely bound to see unexpected issue occur
- Anet did not have 9 weeks to correct the issue. They ran tests, all seemed fined and they moved onto developing some of the other stuff you are complaining about. They discovered the issue at the same time you did.

I am also very curious to understand how people can complain about Anet not caring about the player base when we have collaborative development initiative. I will just quote two of the latest additions to the game:
- dead players name tags are now gray in WvW instead of staying red, in response to the WvW community claims for that feature
- the 2nd season of the Living Story will include both large scale temporary community events, like 1st season, and a permanent personal story to go along with. Once again, Anet listened to the player base and included the most meaningful

N.B.: Go have a look at TESO. There you will really enjoy a game full of blocking bugs around each corner with good reasons to complain, especially when many of these bugs were reported during alpha, then beta, and still occur at release time.

in WvW

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

I don’t know about the rest of the children here, but I WvW for FUN, not in game rewards.

….End that exactly why wvw players are second class citizens …Ma !

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

(edited by Zee.1294)

in WvW

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

@Gilgalas … in case u didn’t know..there are still ppl who haven’t received their rewards from season 1 wvw. It’s not about the rewards themselves..it’s about bugs that should never see daylight and the absurd amount of time it takes to fix them….and bugs for different core features still pile up for months.

Ppl don’t qq in mass about small bugs……but they will and i personally encourage them to do it for big bugs.

As u are amazed about how easy some ppl complain…me in my turn am also amazed at how easy the title of AAA game is given and how low some ppl’s expectations have become according to the title’s level. It’s like giving a 3 star hotel a 5 star based on hype and then defending it with “..hey look…..u payed for a hotel room and u got it (same price). It has doors that open and close…it has rooms u can sleep in…u are just greedy. And what if kittenroaches flood u in the toilet…just give them time they will fix it.”

…so let’s just agree to disagree.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I want to see at what point the white knights decide that a complaint on the delay is justified. We went from….

“You`ll get your prizes on June second, a few days wait is nothing to complain about”

to…

“You`ll get them at the end of the week, it’s just be a few days more, stop whining”

and now we are at….

“Two weeks is nothing, you`ll get them eventually, stop being entitled”

What about when a month passes? Can we complain then without appearing somehow spoiled, entitled or ungrateful?

in WvW

Posted by: Sir Arthur.8905

Sir Arthur.8905

I’m pretty ashamed of the GW2 community here on the forums, all I can see is demands.

Is it so unreasonable and crazy to have demands for the product you bought (the one at which you potentially still throw your hard earned RL money)?

i.e. You bought a new car, is it so unreasonable that you want its front lights to work? I don’t think it is.
Also, just FYI, if GW2 was a car, there would be more than just front lights not working at the moment… lately quite a few bad things were implemented and/or not fixed, it’s no suprise that quite a big part of community is unhappy.

UMMM what?
You didn’t pay for the updates. You payed for the core game and core functions – which you have them enabled 24/7. And you don’t throw money at them. You buy things from them. That’s a different thing. You are not donating. You’re not giving them cash because you’re such a nice person. You’re giving it because you want something from the cash shop. It’s called shopping.

And the “big part of the community” is actually happy with how things are. It’s just that flamers tend to talk more.

Even console games like GTA online provide updates and bug fixes on a regular basis… Subscription=/=Service

in WvW

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

I thought this was the fastest selling MMO of all time.

So…?
That information was based on stuff from almost TWO YEARS ago, do you really think they can live on those monies forever?

~$200,000,000 from 3.5 million box sales as of August 2013, not including box sales since then, not including gem store revenue, not including China sales.

I would sure hope the combined total lasts a lot longer than 2 years.

By the way, stop defending failure.

I don’t give a flying skritt about the reward distribution bug. It’ll get solved eventually for sure, but saying they don’t hire more developer because they don’t have the money for that is bullkitten.

Personally ( and I’m not a big Gemstore spender) i have spent more money in Gemstore than i have spent on the game itself. Like double that much. There are tons of people out there who have spent thousands of Euros just on Black Lion Chest keys, not to talk about the bank expansions, server transfers, gold exchange, character slots etc etc etc…

I don’t have the numbers of course, but i would guess just the gem store itself multiplied the game selling income of ANET.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Guys, the last update was on Friday. Today is Monday. Contrary to popular belief, our developers have lives and families that they would like to live and see respectively.

Last update 7 days ago:
“The Battle Historian now has WvW tournament rewards. These rewards will be temporarily disabled while we resolve an issue with Tournament Ticket distribution.”
But it’s been 10 days since the tournament is over.

There is no way a programmer would take over a week to fix a reward distribution problem when you can code an entire website in 2-3 days.
In a situation like this you have to take the decision to give a rewards to everyone immediately and get the programmer working on content again instead of wasting more weeks of his time fixing a bug. It’s not like the tournament had balanced gameplay anyway, we all knew who would win on the second week.

in WvW

Posted by: Yuki Chuki.2457

Yuki Chuki.2457

[…] when you can code an entire website in 2-3 days.

This statement alone is ridiculous and disqualifies your entire post. I think you don’t have the absolute slightest idea about software development.
Developing a real website (not just using Wordpress..) often takes months of development time.
Assuming the contracts are already set up, you’re lucky if you have most of your requirements engineering done and your development environment set up in those 2-3 days.

Besides, no one knows how hard/easy it is to fix. Those systems are complex. If it was that clear and easy, it probably wouldn’t have had a malfunction to begin with.
Identifying the problem not necessarily makes the problem easy to fix.
It’s a completely different example but probably more tangible for most: Just because the Japanese realized that and why the nuclear power plant (Fukushima Daiichi) leaked didn’t magically turn the matter in an “easy to fix” situation that could be resolved in a day or two.

in WvW

Posted by: Bo Van Swill.7619

Bo Van Swill.7619

Guys, the last update was on Friday. Today is Monday. Contrary to popular belief, our developers have lives and families that they would like to live and see respectively.

Last update 7 days ago:
“The Battle Historian now has WvW tournament rewards. These rewards will be temporarily disabled while we resolve an issue with Tournament Ticket distribution.”
But it’s been 10 days since the tournament is over.

There is no way a programmer would take over a week to fix a reward distribution problem when you can code an entire website in 2-3 days.
In a situation like this you have to take the decision to give a rewards to everyone immediately and get the programmer working on content again instead of wasting more weeks of his time fixing a bug. It’s not like the tournament had balanced gameplay anyway, we all knew who would win on the second week.

For a start he means last update from the devs about the fix and that was 3 days ago on Friday and secondly a fix could take a long time its most likely not an easy fix like a gem store (HTML) or a living story fix (a program that uses a set path) the reward bug may be a multi area problem i am think it is a problem with other program’s talking to the reward program and that will need time to find out what really is going on.

Skuld Foefire Mesmer, Thord Blackthorn Guardian, Gele Fireheart Elementalist
Beezy Chan Engineer,Sarah Soulcaller Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

You have a lot of insight about code you’ve never seen before. So is the problem related to a database issue, or is it related to the client? Or how about the layers in between? Is it just the code that pops the chest that didn’t trig or is it the code that determines who’s in what realm and participated in the event?

Everything is easy when you gloss over details.

I agree its a bug that shouldn’t be in release code. But as a software developer myself for a medium sized company, I know details slip, priorities change and small issues can balloon to be quite large in a distributed system handled by different teams.

They’ll fix it when they fix it. Fortunately its not a game breaking bug. Its just a skin.

in WvW

Posted by: Bo Van Swill.7619

Bo Van Swill.7619

I thought this was the fastest selling MMO of all time.

So…?
That information was based on stuff from almost TWO YEARS ago, do you really think they can live on those monies forever?

~$200,000,000 from 3.5 million box sales as of August 2013, not including box sales since then, not including gem store revenue, not including China sales.

I would sure hope the combined total lasts a lot longer than 2 years.

By the way, stop defending failure.

I don’t give a flying skritt about the reward distribution bug. It’ll get solved eventually for sure, but saying they don’t hire more developer because they don’t have the money for that is bullkitten.

Personally ( and I’m not a big Gemstore spender) i have spent more money in Gemstore than i have spent on the game itself. Like double that much. There are tons of people out there who have spent thousands of Euros just on Black Lion Chest keys, not to talk about the bank expansions, server transfers, gold exchange, character slots etc etc etc…

I don’t have the numbers of course, but i would guess just the gem store itself multiplied the game selling income of ANET.

Anet get nothing from gem store or game sales that would be NCSoft who then pay the wages of Anet

Skuld Foefire Mesmer, Thord Blackthorn Guardian, Gele Fireheart Elementalist
Beezy Chan Engineer,Sarah Soulcaller Necromancer

in WvW

Rebound.3409

The more systems u have that are automatic and communicate between eachother in the same manner…..the more chances u will have it will break and when it does it will be a huge problem to fix.

This whole system as i personally see it should have been like this:
1. Have the ingame mailing system which already sends us letters whenever something related to LS happens, send us the rewards..not some chest. U overcomplicate things
2. That mailing system (which can be set up manually in case of backup) send u an item, in this case tokens depending on 2 factors:
- Server placement at the end, which can be manually introduced at the end..it’s a 10 min thing to just set up first spot, second spot, third spot and “the rest” / region if u have a decent interface…and by decent i mean anything that was made after year 2000
- Check who finished the meta. This is where complications could appear depending on how badly it’s coded to check. A way to check this that comes to mind is to just scan ppl and see if they got the Season 2 TITLE (not necessarily in use). That automatically means they finished the meta regardless of what pops on your screens.

Done…

I mean i am no expert……but anything that relies heavily on automatism will in 90% of cases fail miserably if u don’t have a solid backup system put up. If they had a semi-manual way to send rewards, this would have been fixed long ago IMO.

…this is something i fought about in 1-2 min….it might be flawed. The message was about automatism not about a clear solution. I am not payed to give them solutions for their issues.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

in WvW

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

Even console games like GTA online provide updates and bug fixes on a regular basis… Subscription=/=Service

Wrong. You have to pay for every single expansion and you only get fixes and patches for the game and expansions you bought. And let’s not specify how long does it take for games like that to actually release a simple fix.

And also – A subscription is the action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something. Taking this in consideration a subscription in a mmo is nothing else than a constant purchase of their services, which you can complain about if you would have problems with since you actually bought it. In this case the only thing you bought was the starting release, which got many fixes already.

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

The fact still remains that if there was a bug interfering with the Gem Store, you could rest assured that it’d be fixed within 24 hours.

WvW has been largely neglected since launch. I mean, the only key updates we’ve gotten were EotM, which is a beautiful map that unfortunately became a karma train camping ground, and account-bound World Experience, which ANet held off intentionally to add to their amazing Feature Patch.

To put it simply, they literally had one job for this whole season: distributing rewards once the matches came to a close. It’s disappointing to see that they can’t even do that correctly or in a timely manner. I understand that unforeseen problems pop up during implementation, but, to put if frankly, that’s a pretty lame excuse when this is the only update that had to be pushed out for WvW over the duration of Season 2 and even going as far back as the arrival of the Feature Patch

I already said it earlier, but maybe if WvW actually got periodic updates, I would be a lot more empathetic towards ANet and wouldn’t really mind that the rewards were delayed; in all honesty, it’s just a skin that doesn’t really amount to anything. But, since this is really the only thing that WvW-focused players have had to look forward to all season, I really just can’t wrap my head around what ANet’s so-called WvW Team has been doing this whole time.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

in WvW

Xia.3485

I really just can’t wrap my head around what ANet’s WvW Team has been doing this whole time.

Living world season 2?

^______^

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The fact still remains that if there was a bug interfering with the Gem Store, you could rest assured that it’d be fixed within 24 hours.

To be fair in most cases HTML-based issues are more easily solved than software based ones.
It is also most likely a much higher priority seeing as those issue have to do with actual money (both for the company and for the players).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

The more systems u have that are automatic and communicate between eachother in the same manner…..the more chances u will have it will break and when it does it will be a huge problem to fix.

This whole system as i personally see it should have been like this:
1. Have the ingame mailing system which already sends us letters whenever something related to LS happens, send us the rewards..not some chest. U overcomplicate things
2. That mailing system (which can be set up manually in case of backup) send u an item, in this case tokens depending on 2 factors:
- Server placement at the end, which can be manually introduced at the end..it’s a 10 min thing to just set up first spot, second spot, third spot and “the rest” / region if u have a decent interface…and by decent i mean anything that was made after year 2000
- Check who finished the meta. This is where complications could appear depending on how badly it’s coded to check. A way to check this that comes to mind is to just scan ppl and see if they got the Season 2 TITLE (not necessarily in use). That automatically means they finished the meta regardless of what pops on your screens.

Done…

I mean i am no expert……but anything that relies heavily on automatism will in 90% of cases fail miserably if u don’t have a solid backup system put up. If they had a semi-manual way to send rewards, this would have been fixed long ago IMO.

…this is something i fought about in 1-2 min….it might be flawed. The message was about automatism not about a clear solution. I am not payed to give them solutions for their issues.

The problems start to happen when a mechanism is connected to another mechanism which is connected to another mechanism. In this case, by causing an anomaly in the 1st mechanism, the 2nd mechanism would not just pass the anomaly on, but would cause even more problems – and the 3rd one even more.
Programming is anything else but easy and simple. And by saying stuff like “it’s easy to fix this” is like telling a person with HIV “hey, why don’t you just remove HIV from your body?”. One thing is talking about ways to fix a bug, another is to actually do it properly.

in WvW

Rebound.3409

Never said it was….but we are in week 2 now and is a problem that they encountered in S1 also this is not a first time for them (experience wise). They needed to make a backup system for this one. If they already had a backup system (which i doubt) …then that’s sad. Would mean 2 fails in a row.

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

While I agree that some patience is required for this situation, I disagree that the rewards are trivial. I had planned on filling out the ascended gear for my wvw build with the rewards. Now I can spend resources to get these ascended pieces instead. However, I prefer not to.

So, I wait and see.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

in WvW

Posted by: Contrivance.7980

Contrivance.7980

I think we’ve all made our point, all that we can do now is wait. All this negativity isn’t going to help anything. I really want my mistforged hero weapon skins though!

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

You have a lot of insight about code you’ve never seen before. So is the problem related to a database issue, or is it related to the client? Or how about the layers in between? Is it just the code that pops the chest that didn’t trig or is it the code that determines who’s in what realm and participated in the event?

Everything is easy when you gloss over details.

I agree its a bug that shouldn’t be in release code. But as a software developer myself for a medium sized company, I know details slip, priorities change and small issues can balloon to be quite large in a distributed system handled by different teams.

They’ll fix it when they fix it. Fortunately its not a game breaking bug. Its just a skin.

Kinda ironic. On one hand I feel the same about your first part. Software is never free of bugs, and will never be.

But I think its really unfortunately that it’s not a game breaking bug. Because that would make the Devs sweat for the second time because of WvW related stuff. (first time was the OS arena because of the GvG incident)
It could mean Anet would allocate more manpower to WvW for a few weeks to deliver some actual content to play with before the next dreadful season. And I’d consider this as a small victory over the usual approach to WvW related updates.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Rudy.6184

Rudy.6184

WvW has been largely neglected since launch. I mean, the only key updates we’ve gotten were EotM, which is a beautiful map that unfortunately became a karma train camping ground, and account-bound World Experience, which ANet held off intentionally to add to their amazing Feature Patch.

To put it simply, they literally had one job for this whole season: distributing rewards once the matches came to a close. It’s disappointing to see that they can’t even do that correctly or in a timely manner. I understand that unforeseen problems pop up during implementation, but, to put if frankly, that’s a pretty lame excuse when this is the only update that had to be pushed out for WvW over the duration of Season 2 and even going as far back as the arrival of the Feature Patch

I already said it earlier, but maybe if WvW actually got periodic updates, I would be a lot more empathetic towards ANet and wouldn’t really mind that the rewards were delayed; in all honesty, it’s just a skin that doesn’t really amount to anything. But, since this is really the only thing that WvW-focused players have had to look forward to all season, I really just can’t wrap my head around what ANet’s so-called WvW Team has been doing this whole time.

I would say that main problem with this are ppl who changed server, before/middle/after season 2 of wvw. Now there must be tracking programe which has the history data of each account, or just take a note which server you were, on the beginning of season. So my guess is that it is complicated in way to know what prize player won, not if he won (because it should work as any living world reward). As for me this matter is also dissapointing (skins on daggers are ugly for my ele, need mistforged ;d), but flaming on working people, who gives us alot of expansions without subscribsion/limitation is just not fair. Just be patient.

in WvW

Posted by: dmbgodzilla.2745

dmbgodzilla.2745

Uhg. This entire thread is the exact reason I got out of customer service after only a month. Lesson one was pretty much “Customers suck.” Thank you all for making me so very glad I bailed on that job when I did.

But, of course, Anet could make this all go away in an instant “drop.” They choose to let the players wait instead. You can’t really blame people from wanting what the were promised when it was promised. Think of it in terms of your ISP who goes offline for seven days when they could actually offer an alternative service option.

The rewards were the great expectation, an important driver for participation. And so, it’s understandable that people are frustrated. Frankly, putting Anet staff and players through this is what defies explanation. But, that’s how games are made now; you get people to commit more time in a never ending tease for enhanced “gear,” so that it obtains great value. It’s all about manipulation and that’s fair enough front side so long as the developer performs back side. Otherwise, all bets are off.

You’d think Anet would just give it up, provide the top tier reward to everyone that meets the base criteria for a WvW season 2 chest and call it a win/win. Then they could quietly fix the bug before season 3 unharmed by this unnecessary kerfuffle.

(edited by dmbgodzilla.2745)

in WvW

Xia.3485

Kinda ironic. On one hand I feel the same about your first part. Software is never free of bugs, and will never be.

But I think its really unfortunately that it’s not a game breaking bug. Because that would make the Devs sweat for the second time because of WvW related stuff. (first time was the OS arena because of the GvG incident)
It could mean Anet would allocate more manpower to WvW for a few weeks to deliver some actual content to play with before the next dreadful season. And I’d consider this as a small victory over the usual approach to WvW related updates.

A game breaking bug would get more attention internally and would potentially be fixed faster. Unfortunately we’d feel it a whole lot more than a vendor who’s wares are “temporarily disabled”.

I’m not saying its a good bug, but it could be worse. One thing is certain though, the quantity of whining and blatant speculation in this thread is unwarranted. In fact, if I may be so bold, I’ll even say I’m glad I don’t work in the gaming industry.. where a bug can get you mountains of hate mail (and possibly even death threats).

I’m sure glad the industry I work in is much more civil.. heck, bugs in my industry don’t waste kids precious time waiting for pixel rewards.. our bugs only waste tens of thousands of dollars a day and potentially cause lose of life for our clients. And we never get hate mail when things go badly. Pretty telling.

in WvW

Rebound.3409

^blatant speculation

in WvW

Xia.3485

^blatant speculation

Nah, pure logic. Everything I write is gold. Heck, I even poop rubies.

But don’t let me stop you telling anet how to write their game and its different systems. You have a rich posting history of knowing their work better than them.

Kittens!
=^_^=

in WvW

Rebound.3409

i definitely know their work doesn’t work ^.^

Keep on pooping rubies :P

in WvW

Slomo.1029

A game breaking bug would get more attention internally and would potentially be fixed faster. Unfortunately we’d feel it a whole lot more than a vendor who’s wares are “temporarily disabled”.

I’m not saying its a good bug, but it could be worse. One thing is certain though, the quantity of whining and blatant speculation in this thread is unwarranted. In fact, if I may be so bold, I’ll even say I’m glad I don’t work in the gaming industry.. where a bug can get you mountains of hate mail (and possibly even death threats).

I’m sure glad the industry I work in is much more civil.. heck, bugs in my industry don’t waste kids precious time waiting for pixel rewards.. our bugs only waste tens of thousands of dollars a day and potentially cause lose of life for our clients. And we never get hate mail when things go badly. Pretty telling.

Yes it would. And it would be a harsh reminder to Anet that WvW still exists. Seems like their management has forgotten this by now.
Not saying it has to be a change for the better though.

Me as a person is unable to rage at a the developers of a video game.
But nobody can stop me from making cynical comments about situations like these one.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Believe me when I say that we will provide an update as soon as we have an update to provide. Until that time, your continued patience is appreciated.

Actually, Mr. Katzbach, if you look at page 6 of your Anet contract it does indeed state:

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the WvW realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Dev’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”

You should have read BEFORE you initialed!!

I just about collapsed laughing. <3 Thank you Mark for the update and thank you Sir Arthur (perfect name for that btw) for the sillies.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Incinerate.5876

Incinerate.5876

I would say that main problem with this are ppl who changed server, before/middle/after season 2 of wvw.

Absolutely not. This bug has nothing to do with that, but with megaservers(for people who did not receive the chest) and with the placement of your server in the first season(for people who also received wrong achievement).

in WvW

Xia.3485

Me as a person is unable to rage at a the developers of a video game.
But nobody can stop me from making cynical comments about situations like these one.

I know right. I can’t help but poke the thread every once in a while. So fun. Almost like a nicely placed spectral wall on a bridge in edge of the mists. So fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

[…] when you can code an entire website in 2-3 days.

This statement alone is ridiculous and disqualifies your entire post. I think you don’t have the absolute slightest idea about software development.
Developing a real website (not just using Wordpress..) often takes months of development time.
Assuming the contracts are already set up, you’re lucky if you have most of your requirements engineering done and your development environment set up in those 2-3 days.

Besides, no one knows how hard/easy it is to fix. Those systems are complex. If it was that clear and easy, it probably wouldn’t have had a malfunction to begin with.
Identifying the problem not necessarily makes the problem easy to fix.
It’s a completely different example but probably more tangible for most: Just because the Japanese realized that and why the nuclear power plant (Fukushima Daiichi) leaked didn’t magically turn the matter in an “easy to fix” situation that could be resolved in a day or two.

I’m not talking about making a website for a freaking bank (you can easily code a small website in 2-3 days, make that a week if you find these figures so shocking) and that’s not my point anyway.

My point is that it’s a waste off time to have a developer spend weeks to fix people having a certain quantity of an item when you can just take the decision to give the max quantity to everyone and work on most pressing matter like the empty servers in lower tier, dynamic commander tags and the lack of content or improvement. It’s a question of priority.

in WvW

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

No you just get sued

in WvW

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

I’m not saying its a good bug, but it could be worse. One thing is certain though, the quantity of whining and blatant speculation in this thread is unwarranted. In fact, if I may be so bold, I’ll even say I’m glad I don’t work in the gaming industry.. where a bug can get you mountains of hate mail (and possibly even death threats)

Your every word is wrong.

We have exploits and exploiters (which I won’t explain them in here since ANet chooses silencing people that talk about hacks instead of fixing them) since day -3 which the most game breaking issue in this game. In Season 2, many servers wanted a fix or at least a punishment; however, all they did was locking and deleting the topics. Those hacks and exploits are still(nope I don’t use them) there and I don’t predict any fix them soon.

But I am good at predicting white knight arguments. Probably there will be “2 years is not enough for a fix. IT IS SOFTWARE, YOU CAN’T UNDERSTAND!” post is coming.

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

in WvW

Posted by: Empyre.2531

Empyre.2531

Believe me when I say that we will provide an update as soon as we have an update to provide. Until that time, your continued patience is appreciated.

Thanks for fixing pve on weekends, but not wvw. Appreciated.

[RG]

in WvW

Posted by: StormSandals.9480

StormSandals.9480

I would say that main problem with this are ppl who changed server, before/middle/after season 2 of wvw. Now there must be tracking programe which has the history data of each account, or just take a note which server you were, on the beginning of season. So my guess is that it is complicated in way to know what prize player won, not if he won (because it should work as any living world reward). As for me this matter is also dissapointing (skins on daggers are ugly for my ele, need mistforged ;d), but flaming on working people, who gives us alot of expansions without subscribsion/limitation is just not fair. Just be patient.

That might help somewhat in terms of seasons but not overall longevity of WvW. As for the expansions comment, Anet has given a lot of content in terms of pve but for WvW it’s been overwhelmingly light and infrequent. Like the owners of starving dog throwing bone scraps out back every now and then to keep from having to exert the effort of burying the thing.

in WvW

Slomo.1029

We have exploits and exploiters (which I won’t explain them in here since ANet chooses silencing people that talk about hacks instead of fixing them) since day -3 which the most game breaking issue in this game. In Season 2, many servers wanted a fix or at least a punishment; however, all they did was locking and deleting the topics. Those hacks and exploits are still(nope I don’t use them) there and I don’t predict any fix them soon.

But I am good at predicting white knight arguments. Probably there will be “2 years is not enough for a fix. IT IS SOFTWARE, YOU CAN’T UNDERSTAND!” post is coming.

No. Look at it this way: as long as your game doesnt crash when somebody else uses hacks this is NOT a game breaking bug.

And actually, this kind of stuff isn’t the fault or even concern the WvW Dev team (if it exists). If they would choose to ban the exploiters accounts, the hack itself would be still intact and most likely published everywhere. Imagine if even people who dont know how to use google would get access to the hack.
This kind of stuff is for engine developers. Sadly they have to do a lot of other work aswell and nobody wants to do bugfixing as a full time job, I can tell you that.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Xia.3485

We have exploits and exploiters […] since day -3 which the most game breaking issue in this game. In Season 2, many servers wanted a fix or at least a punishment; however, all they did was locking and deleting the topics. Those hacks and exploits are still, there and I don’t predict any fix them soon.

So lets analyse your post.

First you say everything I wrote is wrong. Then you talk about the exploits and cheats. And then you call me a white knight. Right.

Yes cheats exist. I doubt anet can fix them without making radical changes to the game. How can I say this? Because cheats have existed in other MMOs for a very long time. Just world of warcraft, despite Blizzard’s amazing budget and manpower, had flying hacks, invisible hacks, mining from underneath the map bots, you name it I’ve seen it. And now suddenly you’re surprised Guild Wars 2 has cheaters and anet isn’t able to patch out those exploits? Riight.

Its really simple. It all comes down to resources (personnel and time) and how best to maximize their use. A missing WvW skin isn’t a burning issue. Heck, I’d be perfectly content if they managed their fix right before season 3 debuts.

But game breaking bugs they can fix and income related fixes, like the paypal one, are efficient use of resources. But hey, don’t let me stop the incessant whining. And above all, lets not listen to reason. After all we own the devs and they should work day and night until we’re happy.. we the endlessly needy mob who’s never satisfied.

lol

There’s a difference between a white knight and a realist. Blame goes where blame is due. Yes the bug’s an inconvenience. No its not that important.

=^_^=

in WvW

Posted by: roshambeaux.2457

roshambeaux.2457

Direct your rage at those truly to blame, the Battle Historians

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: StormSandals.9480

StormSandals.9480

No. Look at it this way: as long as your game doesnt crash when somebody else uses hacks this is NOT a game breaking bug.

And actually, this kind of stuff isn’t the fault or even concern the WvW Dev team (if it exists). If they would choose to ban the exploiters accounts, the hack itself would be still intact and most likely published everywhere. Imagine if even people who dont know how to use google would get access to the hack.
This kind of stuff is for engine developers. Sadly they have to do a lot of other work aswell and nobody wants to do bugfixing as a full time job, I can tell you that.

If they choose not to ban then it gets spread that people can do it and not get banned, by the people annoyed that it’s happening. If the ban hammer is going then there is at least a degree of deterrence and people stopped by it.

(edited by StormSandals.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Direct your rage at those truly to blame, the Battle Historians

Someone needs to trollface those guys with Draven right now! … I’d do it but I have to work through my lunch since my own studio’s game is behind schedule. The irony.

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

meanwhile, in PvE…

Bobblehead Laboratories EVERYWHERE
People with a Lute that have no idea how to use it EVERYWHERE

The gem store seems to be working quite well for them.

…meanwhile, WvW…

crickets

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

meanwhile, in PvE…

…meanwhile, WvW…

crickets

We had a bobblehead/lute party in WvW last night.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

wow, there certainly is a lot of anger here, not only aimed at AET, but players going at players.

To those who are complaining about NOT receiving awards yet, you might do yourself a favor and sit back, relax, think about your life, and get your priorities in line. Its not THAT big a deal.

To those who are overly criticizing and, to an extent, insulting said complainers, at this point, at this point…they have a right to be upset and express their disappointment. Can we stop lobbing insults at each other? Hell…

in WvW

Posted by: AlucardVT.6370

AlucardVT.6370

Come on, just create a godkitten vendor in an instance where only players who got the Meta can get in.

Then make the vendor only be able to “give” each character items according to how much tickets they would have.

Or at least be honest and say “Guys, don’t hold your breath”.

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

meanwhile, in PvE…

…meanwhile, WvW…

crickets

We had a bobblehead/lute party in WvW last night.

Well, that’s… something.

And I had no idea you could use musical instruments in WvW. I can play taps on my horn, I think that would be pretty fun to do over a graveyard of dead zerglings.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

in WvW

Posted by: Drizzt.5867

Drizzt.5867

I don’t mind the wait, but what is really annoying is the responses we have received about the issue. Basically developers have lives and no we didn’t bother trying to fix this problem over the weekend. Not very good customer service for a company who making a ton of money off the community that plays the game. We all know WvW has a terrible system rewards, and when we do have a chance to get something, it is delayed. I don’t understand why this would not be a priority for them to fix. WvW’ers have a very dedicated community to the game and it is very sad seeing them treated in this manner. A little more we are sorry for the delay would go a long way.

in WvW

Posted by: Briadonis.8907

Briadonis.8907

If there is a problem I personally understand the complexities of computer software and there being an issue… however it hard for me to see what the issue is exactly. They have just said they “identified the issue” … which generally means they know what went wrong… and that means they have an idea of how to fix it.

I am sure they have database snapshots to show who was on what server at the end of the tournament. They have records showing who completed the meta. It should be dead simple to send out a new set of tickets. Even if they can’t identify who already received them, just make a new token and remove the old ones. Is there some other complexity that I am missing?

Customers being left in the dark like this makes Anet look kind of incompetent even though they clearly are not for making such an incredible game, but the impression it leaves is rather disturbing. I think if the problem was a bit more clearly explained people would be more willing to give Anet time to deal with the problem.