Yet Even Moaarrrrrr CD/Mag/SBI 3/29

in WvW

Posted by: Murderin.8269

Murderin.8269

We are gonna end up in 3rd this week if people don’t stop zerging one map at a time on CD.

Hard to do when we cant even fill 1 map let alone multiple.

True. Hopefully we get a less lame matchup next week.

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

We are gonna end up in 3rd this week if people don’t stop zerging one map at a time on CD.

Sorry to say, but you’re getting us, yaks, or someone else from t3 til the end of time. Are you saying you prefer Yaks over us?

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Sorry to say, but you’re getting us, yaks, or someone else from t3 til the end of time. Are you saying you prefer Yaks over us?

Not necessarily, trust me, I’ve been running Monte Carlo simulations on this stuff. Borlis Pass is taking the lead in Tier 5, and it’s only a matter of time before EB and DR lose motivation to play WvW and give BP massive point gain (+BP will gain lots of fair weather players). This launches BP into Tier 4, and the fair weather effect on SBI due to smashing Tier 5 will likely last long enough for them to overtake us soon, meaning CD will go to tier 5. That will make a CD/EB/DR match which will be extremely balanced, although they will likely still complain about night capping.

in WvW

Pinko.2076

Not necessarily, trust me, I’ve been running Monte Carlo simulations on this stuff. Borlis Pass is taking the lead in Tier 5, and it’s only a matter of time before EB and DR lose motivation to play WvW and give BP massive point gain (+BP will gain lots of fair weather players). This launches BP into Tier 4, and the fair weather effect on SBI due to smashing Tier 5 will likely last long enough for them to overtake us soon, meaning CD will go to tier 5. That will make a CD/EB/DR match which will be extremely balanced, although they will likely still complain about night capping.

You’re relying on a lot of hypotheticals. The biggest one being that CD’s night presence is still enough to essentially lock you in this tier unless you lose all of esf/awe.

in WvW

Murderin.8269

You’re relying on a lot of hypotheticals. The biggest one being that CD’s night presence is still enough to essentially lock you in this tier unless you lose all of esf/awe.

Our night presence is ridiculous. We push 300 points at night and are currently at somewhere around 60 at what should be prime time.

So many quitters. Theres like 20 total CD in WvW right now.

in WvW

Pinko.2076

~Fight Club~

Let’s do one tonight. Official time 2ish hours from now 9pm est/6pm pst. Maguuma BL south camp windmill. I’ll probably show up early and you could as well!

If you want 3v3/5v5 or higher feel free to ask. I know PYRO at least would be willing to do higher numbers, and random Mags usually will team up for 3v3/5v5.

in WvW

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

Wat’s wrong with 3rd? Ogrewatch & Pangloss are short distance from Red keep :p

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To the Maguuma person who allowed me to pass through to finish the Jumping Puzzle in the CD borderlands? Thank you for doing so, I’d almost managed it earlier but managed to get killed in it with both parts of the key.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

~Fight Club~

Let’s do one tonight. Official time 2ish hours from now 9pm est/6pm pst. Maguuma BL south camp windmill. I’ll probably show up early and you could as well!

If you want 3v3/5v5 or higher feel free to ask. I know PYRO at least would be willing to do higher numbers, and random Mags usually will team up for 3v3/5v5.

Want to do one when i’m not asleep Kitty?

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I swear I saw a post about me not being in this matchup – must’ve been deleted. Well I am in this matchup and have been on the same server since the beginning. (And yes this post is long, sorry).

I have attempted to post meaningful thoughts on how to alleviate one of the issues that takes up a large percentage of the complaints on these forums. But I got negative responses, excuses, dismissals that it wouldn’t work, claims that it was unfair play and people didn’t want to engage in that sort of play, and downright ridicule.

So I write what I thought was a funny post to attempt to make a point and guess what, I get the same response – and get called a troll.

But I’m not one to quit so I continue. What server I’m on is not even really important for the discussion because it is a game wide issue and occurs in all tiers (except the top and maybe second).

If you read a post that talks about “fair weather players”, not having enough people to do X, facing only “zergs”, server morale, “nightcapping”, people only winning because of numbers, map being all green, bragging about the score, “we only had X number of people on the map”, “I don’t care about the score”, “I only run in small groups”, winning has to do with numbers and not skill, “why can’t they do X like DAOC”, and the countless posts on how Anet should fix it – this issue is really what people are talking about.

The issue is WvW population, balance and the lopsided nature of WvW.

Anet can’t make people play WvW or cause people to play at certain times. Only the player base can do something about this.

And the solution is for the two servers who are getting their kitten handed to them to gang up on the dominant server.

Now it has been pointed out to me that a “formal” alliance won’t work. Ok, perhaps not, I’m not going to argue that here.

But it needs to become ingrained in the player base that the natural response to a blowout is NOT for you to attack the weaker server or fight for second. But the natural response needs to become that the two weaker servers attack the dominant server.

This is the way Anet intended it to be and it is the reason there are three servers involved in the fight.

The consequences of not doing this is what we see all over these forum posts. The consequence is the demoralization of the two weaker servers and subsequent further loss of population – it is a snowball effect. I don’t think anyone will argue that when a server starts getting crushed, people don’t log on to play WvW – which makes you lose even bigger, which further demoralizes players…

And the bottom line is refusal to do this hurts WvW, hurts the game and is less fun.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Posted by: ParaldaWind.4523

ParaldaWind.4523

I disagree… last night 10 [PYRO] and 10 [ME] took SBI’s garrison and east keep while outmanned. Population really isn’t the issue here.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]
Maguuma – youtube.com/pyrogw2

in WvW

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I disagree… last night 10 [PYRO] and 10 [ME] took SBI’s garrison and east keep while outmanned. Population really isn’t the issue here.

20 people is pretty much SBI’s primetime force. Maybe you were outmanned by CD? They were hitting west keep and NW tower with separate groups in SBI borderland last night, about 15-20 each.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

20 people is pretty much SBI’s primetime force. Maybe you were outmanned by CD? They were hitting west keep and NW tower with separate groups in SBI borderland last night, about 15-20 each.

Nah… saw at least 40 SBI fighting CD near their west keep… which is fine, if we’d just ninja’d one keep and didn’t hold it… but we took two and held them for over an over, eventually just hopping to a different map.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

NevirSayDie.6235

Nah… saw at least 40 SBI fighting CD near their west keep… which is fine, if we’d just ninja’d one keep and didn’t hold it… but we took two and held them for over an over, eventually just hopping to a different map.

Well I hopped over to mag’s bl to 2-man havoc so I don’t know for sure. When I left SBI, we had about 15 bouncing between west keep and NW tower defending both. East and garrison were still uncontested when I left, but maybe we’re talking about different times.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

I’m sorry, and with no offense, but if you can’t even acknowledge there are population issues/imbalances then you have no credibility in serious WvW discussions.

in WvW

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

I’m sorry, and with no offense, if you can’t acknowledge there are population issues/imbalances then you have no credibility in serious WvW discussions.

The same holds true if you boil every situation down to population imbalance. Population balance is a serious problem. We’re all well aware of it on Maguuma. But people far too often use it as an excuse for also playing poorly. If you are getting beaten when either A) the map is queued for all servers (this often happens on resets) or the opposing team has the outmanned buff, we can clearly say that at that point in time, population imbalance was not the issue.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

in WvW

Posted by: saiyr.3071

saiyr.3071

Let’s not talk about excuses for playing poorly, or it’ll go back to the longwinded discussion about points not mattering zzz

[DERP] Saiyr, “bff” of Sgt Killjoy

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

I’m sorry, and with no offense, if you can’t acknowledge there are population issues/imbalances then you have no credibility in serious WvW discussions.

The same holds true if you boil every situation down to population imbalance. Population balance is a serious problem. We’re all well aware of it on Maguuma. But people far too often use it as an excuse for also playing poorly. If you are getting beaten when either A) the map is queued for all servers (this often happens on resets) or the opposing team has the outmanned buff, we can clearly say that at that point in time, population imbalance was not the issue.

I agree.

I’m not making excuses for any one particular incident. I’m not talking about specific points in time. I’m talking about overall and long time frames. I’m talking about the one sentence in your post, Population balance is a serious problem.

I’m sure you can find specific situations where Server A has more people than Server B and still loses. So what? That is irrelevant to my post.

in WvW

JaironKalach.4938

Because the way your post is written, particularly with that single bold statement and the fact it is in a match-up thread, it seems to indicate that everything in this matchup boils down to population imbalance. Paralda provided an example where that was from his perspective not the case. (mag was outmanned and still taking keeps) Of course, the score doesn’t matter, and people are demoralized by being beat up on and the score being a blow out. But, in the end, as long as population is what you talk about, you miss out on some amazing fun, and some great opportunities to improve your play.

I play on Maguuma

in WvW

NevirSayDie.6235

I was being serious when I suggested the outmanned buff may have come from CD. I’m not usually able to play at reset on Fridays, so I don’t know if there are any queues.

Also, unintended smiley ftw.

in WvW

JaironKalach.4938

I was being serious when I suggested the outmanned buff may have come from CD. I’m not usually able to play at reset on Fridays, so I don’t know if there are any queues.

Yeah, not presuming to comment on a particular situation when I was not present. Was just commenting on the general point that Paralda was making.

I play on Maguuma

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Because the way your post is written, particularly with that single bold statement and the fact it is in a match-up thread, it seems to indicate that everything in this matchup boils down to population imbalance. Paralda provided an example where that was from his perspective not the case. (mag was outmanned and still taking keeps) Of course, the score doesn’t matter, and people are demoralized by being beat up on and the score being a blow out. But, in the end, as long as population is what you talk about, you miss out on some amazing fun, and some great opportunities to improve your play.

My point was that complaining about population imbalance completely ignores actually improving at the game. If you mask all of your issues under one banner, you refuse to take responsibility for any shortfalls.

There is clearly a population issue, and we shouldn’t be in this Tier. However, that doesn’t invalidate any other points. At this time, population is not really going to change, so you might want to focus on things you can actually improve.

I’m not going to claim that we’re winning solely because of skill, because population is definitely a huge factor here, but if you lose two keeps to an outmanned group, then there are more problems than just population.

Edit: crap, on my phone, quoted the wrong post. Will fix later.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

(edited by ParaldaWind.4523)

in WvW

NevirSayDie.6235

Yeah, not presuming to comment on a particular situation when I was not present. Was just commenting on the general point that Paralda was making.

Fair enough. It’s just an odd conversation.

in WvW

Johje Holan.4607

Unbolded hows that? I’m not talking about this match specifically – I even said that I was talking about game wide.

And I’m not saying anything at all about Mag’s skill.

in WvW

JaironKalach.4938

My point was that complaining about population imbalance completely ignores actually improving at the game. If you mask all of your issues under one banner, you refuse to take responsibility for any shortfalls.

There is clearly a population issue, and we shouldn’t be in this Tier. However, that doesn’t invalidate any other points. At this time, population is not really going to change, so you might want to focus on things you can actually improve.

I’m not going to claim that we’re winning solely because of skill, because population is definitely a huge factor here, but if you lose two keeps to an outmanned group, then there are more problems than just population.

Edit: crap, on my phone, quoted the wrong post. Will fix later.

It’s okay. Out of boredom I’ll pretend that you had reason to quote me and I’ll argue the other side for a second. The problem with population imbalance is that within 24 hours of reset it has already had a significant impact on morale. In fact, it has a double impact on morale. Players that have logged on and gone int WvWvW only to be smashed by an opposing zerg every time they tried to accomplish any objective are less likely to log in that week. Additionally, players often look at the score (even though it doesn’t matter) and feel like they can’t make a positive difference for their server. (This by the way is why they go after the lower server. Because they feel like they can at least make a difference in how they relate to that server.) So, in the end by Wednesday you have a population that has had significant morale damage and is just not playing strategically the way they otherwise would.

Furthermore in a blowout the winning side tends to send the B team in for some experience after Wednesday, and so they’re not really playing at their best anyway.

So, after just a little bit of time you have a case where none of the servers are really trying their hardest anymore. So it’s near impossible to ever tell whether the skill level is what is coming into play or it’s just silliness based on morale/population balance.

I play on Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Gravy.7589

Gravy.7589

40 SBI on one map during the weekday? Not gonna happen. We don’t have 40 people on any map this week. We generally run at the most, 20-25 on one map. We always have the outmanned buff blinking on and off in EB, while Mag has two 30-40 man zergs running during most nights. Seems all they know how to do in EB is zerg. But zergs will never go away in WvW.

Mag most definitely struggles without their zergs in EB. They had 10-15 running around last night behind our garrison trying to take Veloka and they got repeatedly stomped by 5-7 of us. Violet was commanding and we didn’t even bother to repair the walls as all we wanted were some open field battles without having to deal with a messy culling 30+ zerg. DR said the same about us in the previous match ups and Mag probably all feels the same when they move up to the next tier. Sadly, this is WvW in GW2.

Mag shouldn’t act like they don’t have a pretty big numbers advantage over us, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have skilled guilds or player, or that its always the numbers that win the battles for them. Though if we could put up the same numbers as them, the score would look very different.

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

We has feelings too. So, we seldom post. The silence means, we’ll meet you in the battlefield. But I don’t claim to talk for CD players. Just my fellow little zerglings.

Attachments:

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

JaironKalach.4938

Mag most definitely struggles without their zergs in EB. They had 10-15 running around last night behind our garrison trying to take Veloka and they got repeatedly stomped by 5-7 of us. Violet was commanding and we didn’t even bother to repair the walls as all we wanted were some open field battles without having to deal with a messy culling 30+ zerg. DR said the same about us in the previous match ups and Mag probably all feels the same when they move up to the next tier. Sadly, this is WvW in GW2.

I see why you would say that we struggle without our zergs in EB…. But truthfully the times that you see us runing in groups of 10-15 are typically when we have our irregular players running around without a commander tag. I agree that we can be frightfully bad at those times. :-)

What I mean to say is that you shouldn’t boil it down to numbers. Just because you’re whipping the 10-15 man groups you see doesn’t mean that with even numbers you would have the same success against the 30 man groups. Doesn’t mean you wouldn’t, either… Just no good data to prove otherwise… Except perhaps reset?

I play on Maguuma

in WvW

Murderin.8269

Embarrassing.

2-3 hour siege to take Stonemist from Maguuma and they just walk right back in with no resistance.

This server really makes me sad sometimes. I was standing right on the entry point when they showed up, and gave everyone at least 10 minute warning in all borderlands. No one came.

(edited by Murderin.8269)

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Embarrassing.

2-3 hour siege to take Stonemist from Maguuma and they just walk right back in with no resistance.

This server really makes me sad sometimes. I was standing right on the entry point when they showed up, and gave everyone at least 10 minute warning in all borderlands. No one came.

The odds are not in our favor at this time.

Attachments:

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: xxxzavulonxxx.8413

xxxzavulonxxx.8413

Embarrassing.

Maybe people recognize that SM isn’t worth holding on your server unless you have enough people in EB. If you have to go to another BL to ask for help keeping it your server probably cannot hold it, and it is only good to turn it into paper, and try to flip and hold it for only very short periods of time. Maguuma can’t hold that thing in T3 for long periods of time.

CD shouldn’t be sad about itself. You guys have done as well as you can in this match up. I see a lot of heart in CD even when you guys cannot accomplish what you want to.

[SU]

in WvW

Murderin.8269

CD is too dependent on commanders to do anything. If there is no blue pin no one will ever show up.

Anyway, its been a good matchup. I’ve had a lot of fun against both servers.

in WvW

JaironKalach.4938

CD is too dependent on commanders to do anything. If there is no blue pin no one will ever show up.

Every server is. I’ve watched Mags take a significant portion of the map and then lose it all within 15 minutes of the commander turning off their tag. The only solution I can think of is getting more folks willing to turn on a tag. Otherwise folks are likely to just do their thing. This is particularly true since they don’t know for sure that this fight that you’re dragging them towards is worth their time.

I play on Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Truearrow.3527

Truearrow.3527

Embarrassing.

Find someone creative and inspirational on your server and tell him/her that they are your official propaganda machine. This is Jerk Jerk on Sat morning, he is one of the first commanders on Maguuma (that part is not important) you will be surprised how often you can turn a handful of bored pubbies in Lions Arch into a wave of of blood-crazed killing machines. Find your “Jerk Jerk” get people motivated. http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/darkangel921/jerkjerk2_zps926d791a.jpg

Embrace the Evil [TIE][PYRO] Maguuma

in WvW

Murderin.8269

This back and forth at Stonemist was totally worth losing it though. Racking up the badges today.

in WvW

Posted by: Ikarushka.9564

Ikarushka.9564

I swear I saw a post about me not being in this matchup – must’ve been deleted. Well I am in this matchup and have been on the same server since the beginning. (And yes this post is long, sorry).

I have attempted to post meaningful thoughts on how to alleviate one of the issues that takes up a large percentage of the complaints on these forums. But I got negative responses, excuses, dismissals that it wouldn’t work, claims that it was unfair play and people didn’t want to engage in that sort of play, and downright ridicule.

So I write what I thought was a funny post to attempt to make a point and guess what, I get the same response – and get called a troll.

But I’m not one to quit so I continue. What server I’m on is not even really important for the discussion because it is a game wide issue and occurs in all tiers (except the top and maybe second).

If you read a post that talks about “fair weather players”, not having enough people to do X, facing only “zergs”, server morale, “nightcapping”, people only winning because of numbers, map being all green, bragging about the score, “we only had X number of people on the map”, “I don’t care about the score”, “I only run in small groups”, winning has to do with numbers and not skill, “why can’t they do X like DAOC”, and the countless posts on how Anet should fix it – this issue is really what people are talking about.

Anet can’t make people play WvW or cause people to play at certain times. Only the player base can do something about this.

And the solution is for the two servers who are getting their kitten handed to them to gang up on the dominant server.

Now it has been pointed out to me that a “formal” alliance won’t work. Ok, perhaps not, I’m not going to argue that here.

But it needs to become ingrained in the player base that the natural response to a blowout is NOT for you to attack the weaker server or fight for second. But the natural response needs to become that the two weaker servers attack the dominant server.

This is the way Anet intended it to be and it is the reason there are three servers involved in the fight.

The consequences of not doing this is what we see all over these forum posts. The consequence is the demoralization of the two weaker servers and subsequent further loss of population – it is a snowball effect. I don’t think anyone will argue that when a server starts getting crushed, people don’t log on to play WvW – which makes you lose even bigger, which further demoralizes players…

And the bottom line is refusal to do this hurts WvW, hurts the game and is less fun.

There we go, great post i do appreciate that you really care about the state of things and honestly would like to change it for the better. You also noticed that the only real difference between the different servers is the amount of organization. One can argue that some people are easier to motivate and organize than others, but the point would be moot. Given the current system, the server that is best motivated and organized will win WvW. All the talk about the population is pointless, as all the servers can potentially filed the same amount of people. For some servers it would just require much more leadership and dedication.

That being said, I think the status quo is established and is unlikely to change for the better until anet will change the incentive system of the wvw to encourage people to join more, zerg less, etc. There is no motivation for the existing dynamic to change, in reality everyone is happy with what they have (zergs with zerging, trolls with trolling, small groups with the feel of personal superiority over zergs, soloers with ganking noobs doing map completion, and most importantly anet cause that is all they have at least for now). I do agree that it hurts the wvw experience over all, but really it seems we are comparing what is to what could have been.

Cheekadee. Asuran engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Krash.9486

Krash.9486

Well, I don’t know why this would be flamed by anyone. this is the truth. 2v1 is supposed to balance WvW. But what seems to happen (and I have seen this from T1 on down) is once there is a significant gap between 1st and 2nd in score it becomes a race for 2nd place….o.O.

I don’t understand it or know a way for sure to fix it. I have said in other posts that making the scoring determined by player participation and then buffing those points based on population might help balance some.

It just makes no sense to me to see the server in 2nd place focusing the 3rd place server in order to maintain 2nd place. And you will see the 1st place server then also focus the 3rd place server at that point because they become an easy target which just makes it all even worse.

[SBI] Champions of Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Pinko.2076

Your post is assuming people care about winning. The truth is that the first place server typically has a larger defender’s advantage meaning all real locations of meaning are far more effort. The average player gives zero kittens about winning, but instead just logging on to have fun. Because the 3rd place usually has paper objectives, the second place will start picking on them.

Anyway, when and where is fight club tonight?

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

There has to be a reason or reward for the 3rd team to attack the 1st team. At least when there were orbs, if the top team held them, it was a small objective that might be valuable to both other teams.

Now there is just no reward for taking on, what is, as said above, a tougher target to take points on.

Maybe if the rating system worked so that all 3 teams were exceedingly close, the 3rd team would legitimately feel like attacking the top 1 would position them to win the match. But now the 3rd team is typically so far behind by about the 3rd day, its plain as day they have no chance at first. I think shorter matches might improve this.

in WvW

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

One hour matches. First one to get the queue bug loses.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in WvW

Posted by: luckyfortune.5071

luckyfortune.5071

fight club?!

[DERP] – Maguuma

in WvW

Pinko.2076

I doubt SBI/CD will read this like every other fight club post.

Fight club! We’ll be waiting at south camp Mag windmill from 9pm EST/6pm PST.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Can someone from UDL pm me?

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Murderin.8269

I read them, i just don’t trust you guys enough to show up.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Lol why? Maguuma is obsessed with Fight Clubs. I mean, we’re jerks, but we’re not liars.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: ChapDev.7650

ChapDev.7650

Just after I whispered you asking about FC the “7:11:” error of lag came back with a vengeance so I might have to miss this one to unless it fixes itself again within the next 20 minutes.

Bad Looking Necro Tryhard [BLNT] ~ Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: saiyr.3071

saiyr.3071

Lol why? Maguuma is obsessed with Fight Clubs. I mean, we’re jerks, but we’re not liars.

Wonder what a server has to do to become distrusted when hosting fight club

[DERP] Saiyr, “bff” of Sgt Killjoy

in WvW

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

single file lines

in WvW

Posted by: Gravy.7589

Gravy.7589

Maybe 20 golems will work Mags :P Some epic fights at SM tonight.

in WvW

Posted by: kfarb.6732

kfarb.6732

Maybe 20 golems will work Mags :P Some epic fights at SM tonight.

Were you the guy who said SBI never has 40 people on one map? Because there were 40+ in SM.

Maguuma – considered by many to be the best