Collaborative Development: Ranger Profession

in CDI

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

1. VII. Spotter – Should be moved to Skirmishing as Gradmaster minor.
    1. Rework to 5% crit chance & 3% crit damage
  2. Change VII to Hunter’s Tactics – +3% increase damage on disabled enemies (stun/daze/knockdown/fear/immob)

Not sure who suggested this but unless “Hunter’s Tactics” is also an aura like Spotter or other classes’ auras, then this is a horrible tradeoff if we are to ever be more desirable in WvW. Crit chance and damage is virtually useless to a zerg of PVT heavies whereas a damage buff on a stuned target is a HUGE buff to the hammer train meta. Rangers go from the butt of every WvW joke to almost a must have for zerg combat. It’s just that easy to fix us.

We lose 2% crit chance and have it moved up a tier and to a different tree for something that is just another highly circumstantial trait that relies on our pets to land their very short duration stuns for us.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in CDI

Posted by: Bandido.8719

Bandido.8719

1. General QoL changes.
    1. When the pet is stowed, the Ranger should gain “aspect of the <pet name>” effect which provides unique buffs based on the pet family and specific pet.

Please don’t do this. When I make my build and play the game, I want to select a pet and work alongside it to succeed. I don’t want to select a static buff that’s just going to sit there.

And no, it will not be “optional”. I foresee a future where rangers who use pets instead of the Aspect Of the _ will get auto-kicked from most elitist parties.

We are auto-kicked without this option anyway. Having more options will not hurt us more than we are actually.

in CDI

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

1. General QoL changes.
    1. When the pet is stowed, the Ranger should gain “aspect of the <pet name>” effect which provides unique buffs based on the pet family and specific pet.

Please don’t do this. When I make my build and play the game, I want to select a pet and work alongside it to succeed. I don’t want to select a static buff that’s just going to sit there.

And no, it will not be “optional”. I foresee a future where rangers who use pets instead of the Aspect Of the _ will get auto-kicked from most elitist parties.

not a chance rangers even get a chance at in elitist parties so this point is moot.

If you want elite, roll warrior or guardian.
It’s anet untouchable classes and they will ALWAYS be kings in PvE group play

in CDI

Substance E.4852

1. General QoL changes.

And why should they? Pet AI has no place in groups that care about razor edge performance.

The pet won’t get smarter and they won’t increase it’s power as long as PvP and PvE remain joined so the rest of us should have the option to be effective if we choose.

in CDI

Posted by: Serbaayuu.3051

Serbaayuu.3051

We are auto-kicked without this option anyway. Having more options will not hurt us more than we are actually.

not a chance rangers even get a chance at in elitist parties so this point is moot.

And why should they? Pet AI has no place in groups that care about razor edge performance.

The pet won’t get smarter and they won’t increase it’s power as long as PvP and PvE remain joined so the rest of us should have the option to be effective if we choose.

So, what, just toss out our entire profession mechanic in favor of a static buff? No, that’s stupid. I suppose next you’ll suggest that elementalists should get a buff if they don’t switch attunements. Or mesmers should get a buff if they don’t use clones.

Edit: I see earlier in this thread that a dev has stated they will not be doing permastowing, so that’s good.

Sylva – 80 Ranger
The Fifth Column [FCol]
Henge of Denravi

(edited by Serbaayuu.3051)

in CDI

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Not seeing a damage rebalance between pet and ranger is a bit worrying. I don’t want my pet doing more damage, or scaling with me. I want my pet to be a pretty utility skill. Give me 80% of the damage and a super responsive F2 from my pet, should solve every AI issue you have.

Also a big ‘yes’ to having both sword attacks go forward. If I want to leap ‘out’, then I’ll bind the about face button—which is actually already bound now to give me some sort okittenward escape mechanism.

Finally, shortbow either needs a range reversal or warrior pin down added to it. It is utterly useless at the moment when most enemies can run out of range fairly easily.

in CDI

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Warriors have +15% dmg and crit trait if not using the adrenalin skill. We losing dmg because the pet…

Ranger should be set up the same way with pets. Ranger’s should have 100% control of their damage and the pet, while alive, should be able to deal an extra 15% damage.

Give rangers 100% of the damage, not this useless 70:30 split with our pet

If ANET decided againsts Aspects/stow ultimately, I’d like to see this approach instead. I fail to see how a pet that can barely hit would be overpowered when wielded by a charater with 100% of it’s damage out put intact.

I would like to say;
100% Ranger DMG, X% Pet dmg ABOVE it. Control it well for effectiveness!

Not seeing a damage rebalance between pet and ranger is a bit worrying. I don’t want my pet doing more damage, or scaling with me. I want my pet to be a pretty utility skill. Give me 80% of the damage and a super responsive F2 from my pet, should solve every AI issue you have.

1. The damage split is supposedly 70% / 30% between ranger and pet. Change that to 85% / 15%

What I think got missed in the pile was the idea that pet damage should be rebalanced so that they no longer draw 30% of our damage from us in the first place.

Much needed, often requested. Please ArenaNet, many want it and you could even keep your pets.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

(edited by xXxOrcaxXx.9328)

in CDI

Substance E.4852

So, what, just toss out our entire profession mechanic in favor of a static buff? No, that’s stupid. I suppose next you’ll suggest that elementalists should get a buff if they don’t switch attunements. Or mesmers should get a buff if they don’t use clones.

Edit: I see earlier in this thread that a dev has stated they will not be doing permastowing, so that’s good.

Attunements and clones are a source of hate and hold their respective classes back? That’s news to me…

I was under the impression that those mechanics actually worked, and worked well.

in CDI

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Also, you guys can’t see this due to the limitations of formatting on our forums, but a lot of these points were made by many of you guys. As such, they are much more emphasized in the email threads and discussions we have internally.

First, thank you for your summary. What I think got missed in the pile was the idea that pet damage should be rebalanced so that they no longer draw 30% of our damage from us in the first place. All other classes core mechanics add to base damage where as rangers loose almost a third of our player damage in order to have an AI run around with us. If our pets hit every time and are never dead, we just get to 100% base damage of every other class capping us at 100% a warrior hits 115% with his/her core mechanic.

This does not take into account the loss of gear stats on the pet which is significant.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in CDI

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Specific Game Mode
PvX.

Proposal Overview
Make the longbow providing a interesting long range gameplay.

Proposal Functionality
CHange to the longbow weapons skills.
#1&2: are not changed.
Introduction of arrow preparation mechanic:
#3: replaced by prepare explosive arrow, the next 4 longbow attacks deals aoe damages when a foe is touched.(aoe damage purpose, low cd, low cast time)
#4: replaced by prepare chilling arrow, the next 3 longbow attacks chill the foe for 1.25 seconds.(kiting purpose, low to medium cd, low cast time)
—only one kind of preparation can be used by the ranger at time, they overlap.—
#5: replaced by stable position, the ranger is rooted or slowed for a maximum of 8 seconds, the arrows velocity is increased by 35-45%, the slow/root can be canceled by using the skill one more time.(high risk/reward mechanic,moderate to long cd)

Associated traits: eagle are trait is replaced by longbow mastery, making preparation skills prepare 2 additional arrows, and reducing the movement penalty on the new #5 skill.
Associated Risks/constraints.
Complete revamp of the weapon gameplay.

(edited by Teckos.1305)

in CDI

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

Summary reply and revisions

Hey Allie.

I read your summary. This reply is about your posts or players posts about Ranger CDI changes. These are things IMO that shouldn’t be considered in game at all when changes go live Reason being is that they are/will be OP/ doesn’t make sense or promote diversity build in game, IMO.

1. Remove spirits. They clutter up the map and provide less strategic value with target changes.

Player who posts this_Is this in a WvW perspective?_ cause I assure you in PvP turning these into aura or aspects would make PvP Rangers very OP. Applying these to pets wouldn’t change anything at all in WvW perspective because of survivability issues remember? WvW = AoE = dead pet.

2. Pet survivability. Pets should take 30% damage from AoEs, be immune to one shot mechanics and take 25% damage from cleaves when not the selected target.

Anet you should also consider the learning curve of a Ranger, your pet being 1 shot to death is a learn to play issue IMO.

3. Use new UI symbols for each pet type and combine Rending Attacks, Stability Training and Intimidation training into one trait.

Combine 4 traits into 1? no. Where is build diversity in that?

4. New trait: Grand Master: Camaraderie: When you swap pets, the inactive pet gains the same boons as the active pet (boon values are capped).

Don’t see where we’re going with this trait at all.

Weapons

1. Longbow: Reward max range and synergize with pet.
-Vulnerability instead of damage increase with range (s1), cripple (s2), immobilize (s3), knockdown (s5)

Need to ask your self, how often can we maintain LB max range in game. Cripple, Immobalize, and Knockdown all in 1 weapon set? no

2. Shortbow: Condition Damage. <—- (no, power build option too pls)
– Burning (s3), Torment (s4), s3 should be s5 w/ leapback + confusion

This is just pure OP who ever posted this. Have you ever played PvP? Though Torment is nice on SB #4 with Bleed on pet next attack, everything else is just OP. Burning and Confusion should be a utility for Ranger when we get new skills in game.

3. Warhorn: Group/Pet buffs
– s4 gives Protection, Regen and Vigor to nearby allies

What? no that’s OP. Warhorn skills could be traited instead to give boons or extra boons per skill use.

Wilderness Survival

1. Wilderness experts should be the masters of poisons. Therefore, Rangers should have the most potent poisons available.

What? No Resilient remember? Rangers should have the most counter skill set traits in this line to survive longer in battle

2. Rangers should be given some trait options to improve poison in various ways (extended duration, improved healing suppression, higher damage values, bonuses against poisoned foes, etc.).

Sounds like a Thief to me. Duration increase is in game already assuming this is poison condition still.

Axe

1. Winter’s Bite – Throw an axe that removes two boons. Your pet’s next attack inflicts Chilled. [Chilled] 3.25s (Increase the base damage by a bit)

Too OP, similar to Thieves’ skill (forgot the name). Remove 1 boon instead, maybe.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in CDI

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So, it looks like some of you have already pointed out that not all the feedback was added to that summary.

Of course not. The thread’s 40+ pages, after all . Its just worrisome that the criteria for inclusion in the summary hints that its a head-count of repetitive posts instead of a reflection of what resonated for the developers.

Please read the first part of my post and note that I said this is only part of what has been going around, and not all of the information we have gotten out of this thread. We have been reading, after all.

Then I’ll just ask you to take a quick look at~

Sharing Consumables with Pets
Ascended Stats for Pets
Pets that can Dodge
Concentrating Pet Traits in the Beastmaster Line

~and see if anything there makes the grade for the next summary .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in CDI

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

A proper Ranger brings more to the overall DPS in a group than a 2nd Warrior, an Engi or a Necro in dungeons, though?

You won’t be kicked out off an elitist group because you’re a Ranger but because you aren’t interested in min/maxing your Ranger.

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Summary reply and revisions

Hey Allie.

I read your summary.
[…]

You sir, are ruining my day.
I haven’t played a single PvP match, so I can’t argue about the (non) OPness of these suggestions, but they sound really nice in PvE and WvW.
Regarding LB: I don’t think the conditions would be OP, since we’re losing damage when the target is closer than 1000 range. Maybe an increase of conditionduration per range would solve the problem.

in CDI

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

Being able to stow in combat is my #1 want. IMO, we don’t need anything to make up for it (such as a buff, etc.). Anet wants Ranger to be a pet class and having a buff would mean we don’t have to be a pet class anymore. Which is OK, I suppose. But, we should still have the ability to stow in combat if needed. It would simply help with some of the mechanics in this game. I get so frustrated when my pet becomes a liability to a group or to myself.

For example (PvE content), right now in the living story content there are two different achievements which are MUCH harder to get on a ranger because our pets counts against them. If I could hide my pet in combat I wouldn’t be hindered and I wouldn’t have to consider bringing in an alt because my ranger is a headache.

I can give many more examples of a pet being a hindrance if needed.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

(edited by Kilaelya.1420)

in CDI

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

2. Rangers should be given some trait options to improve poison in various ways (extended duration, improved healing suppression, higher damage values, bonuses against poisoned foes, etc.).

Sounds like a Thief to me. Duration increase is in game already assuming this is poison condition still.

Agree, was kinda hoping to suggest this during the thief’s CDI :/,
If anything, wilderness survival should be about the rangers ability to reduce the effects of poisons or other toxins on himself or his pet

in CDI

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Warriors have +15% dmg and crit trait if not using the adrenalin skill. We losing dmg because the pet…

Ranger should be set up the same way with pets. Ranger’s should have 100% control of their damage and the pet, while alive, should be able to deal an extra 15% damage.

If ANET decided againsts Aspects/stow ultimately, I’d like to see this approach instead. I fail to see how a pet that can barely hit would be overpowered when wielded by a charater with 100% of it’s damage out put intact.

I would like to say;

1. The damage split is supposedly 70% / 30% between ranger and pet. Change that to 85% / 15%

What I think got missed in the pile was the idea that pet damage should be rebalanced so that they no longer draw 30% of our damage from us in the first place. All other classes core mechanics add to base damage where as rangers loose almost a third of our player damage in order to have an AI run around with us. If our pets hit every time and are never dead, we just get to 100% base damage of every other class capping us at 100% a warrior hits 115% with his/her core mechanic.

Much needed, often requested. Please ArenaNet, many want it and you could even keep your pets.

So… you and a few others have specifically said that you love having a pet around, but at the same time, you want ANet to nerf pet damage and put more of it on to Ranger?

I mean, I’m all in favor of giving Ranger more damage, but I’m just confused why you’d want a pet in the first place if its damage is going to be even more pathetic. It’s entirely counter-intuitive.

I just think it’s hilarious that self-proclaimed pet supporters are looking to move the pet’s damage onto the Ranger.

I personally agree with this post.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in CDI

Posted by: Ltomato.8649

Ltomato.8649

1. XII. Remorseless – Next attack applies 3 stacks of vulnerability for 6s. 16 sec cooldown

This is currently worse than what it is right now from a longbow user’s point of view. Right now, longbow traited gives 5 stacks of vuln for 6s on a 10 second cooldown of Hunter’s Shot. 3 stacks for only 6 seconds every 16 seconds wouldn’t be worth taking a grandmaster trait for, I think.

The way Remorseless is now, people underestimate how often Opening strike refreshes and re-procs in AoE situations.

X. Eagle Eye – Include shortbow. Provides 200 range and +5% damage on longbow and harpoon gun. (no range bonus for shortbow)

Why the change from the current 300 range to 200? Thieves can already steal as far, and engineers can throw grenades as far. This doesn’t make sense.

I’d say we’d want to see more consistency in the10% damage buff major/minor traits.
As it is, if you take all 3, Marksmanship I, Steady Focus; Skirmishing 25, Hunter’s Tactics; and Wilderness Survival, 25, Peak Strength, you lose 30% of your damage if you mistime a single roll (losing Steady Focus) and get hit (losing Peak Strength) in melee (losing Hunter’s Tactics).

That’s totally nuts.
Steady Focus was already hit by the Natural Vigor drop, resulting in less uptime.
Hunter’s Tactics is pretty neat, but Rangers often do not have the burst or means to take advantage of this trait, which seems more suited for thieves.
Peak Strength is interesting, but it clashes entirely with Steady Focus.

Perhaps changing Steady Focus to only lose the bonus if the player has under 50% endurance, lowering the price on dodging.
Adding bonus damage if attacking from behind as well as flanking would be cool for Hunter’s Tactics.
And maybe lower the health threshold on Peak Strength, so that players can get some better use out of it.

PS: Skirmishing minor trait 15 is still bugged- giving half the fury duration that the tooltip states!

in CDI

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Being able to stow in combat is my #1 want. IMO, we don’t need anything to make up for it (such as a buff, etc.). Anet wants Ranger to be a pet class and having a buff would mean we don’t have to be a pet class anymore.

I agree with this. The option to stow your pet in combat should be a convenience, not an advantage.

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

So… you and a few others have specifically said that you love having a pet around, but at the same time, you want ANet to nerf pet damage and put more of it on to Ranger?

I mean, I’m all in favor of giving Ranger more damage, but I’m just confused why you’d want a pet in the first place if its damage is going to be even more pathetic. It’s entirely counter-intuitive.

1. If the pet dies, you just lose additional stuff rather than 1/3 of your effectiveness.
  2. Investing into the Beastmastery traitline will still turn your pet into a serious enemy.
  3. The pet could be more utility-oriented rather than beeing trimmed on dealing damage.
  4. No other classmechanic sets yourself on a disadvantage to justify itself.
  5. The pet will never be a reliable damagesource. Therefore, make it additional.

I just think it’s hilarious that self-proclaimed pet supporters are looking to move the pet’s damage onto the Ranger.

As I’ve said before, somewhere in this thread, I don’t want the pet to be removed; I want the damagecomponent to be removed.
An AI will never be reliable. Therefore it’s stupid to think that the pet would be able to deal our damage. It is on the other hand perfectly capable of providing additional things.
You can use your pet for support or utility (Tanking in PvE, F2 skills, shouts) but they shouldn’t be mandatory i order to succeed.

in CDI

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

The pet is meant to be for utility, not just damage. There are other ways to make it useful without making it such a huge portion of the ranger’s damage.

in CDI

Substance E.4852

I would like to say;

What I think got missed in the pile was the idea that pet damage should be rebalanced so that they no longer draw 30% of our damage from us in the first place. All other classes core mechanics add to base damage where as rangers loose almost a third of our player damage in order to have an AI run around with us. If our pets hit every time and are never dead, we just get to 100% base damage of every other class capping us at 100% a warrior hits 115% with his/her core mechanic.

Isolating a portion of our damage onto a separate entity that can be killed is counter productive in PvE and WvW where aoe and instagib are too rampant to expect the pet to live long enough to make any impact.

Giving the player all the damage and downgrading the pet to a walking CC/Boon Dispenser is the best option. Changing BM to a system that increases pet damage in exchange for player damage is all that is needed.

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

X. Eagle Eye – Include shortbow. Provides 200 range and +5% damage on longbow and harpoon gun. (no range bonus for shortbow)

Why the change from the current 300 range to 200? Thieves can already steal as far, and engineers can throw grenades as far. This doesn’t make sense.

This must be a typo, it simply must be. Otherwise I would lose my faith in ArenaNet as a player.

in CDI

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I would like to say;

I personally agree with this post.

I have stated many times that I want perma stow but if they will not allow that, and even if they do, I want the pet’s damage to be added to the ranger not to be subtracted from our damage pool. Her summary of ranger suggestions neglected this suggestion so I pointed it out.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in CDI

Flytrap.8075

I would like to say;

Isolating a portion of our damage onto a separate entity that can be killed is counter productive in PvE and WvW where aoe and instagib are too rampant to expect the pet to live long enough to make any impact.

Giving the player all the damage and downgrading the pet to a walking CC/Boon Dispenser is the best option. Changing BM to a system that increases pet damage in exchange for player damage is all that is needed.

Good suggestions, I definitely agree.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in CDI

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

1. Remove spirits. They clutter up the map and provide less strategic value with target changes.
    1. Instead, apply an aura to the pet that does the same thing spirits currently do.
      1. Obviously, this would be a huge rework and would require changes to spirit traits.

This point only applies to PvP in my opinion. I personally love to run around with my own little “army”. If they just would be more usefull in PvE…
Alos, the idea of giving the pet the buffs to share them is immature. What if your pet dies, get switched or runs out of your range?

immature as in not thoroughly discussed…?

seems like a change like this would be an incentive for the party to group up, or for the ranger to play in melee to mid range.

perhaps overall functionality could be similar to signets — the aura as the passive effect with a 30 sec icd triggered by pet death or activating the utility (but dont reset the icd timer if the trigger condition is met while the clock is already ticking). put some nifty activated ability on the utility skill itself with a relatively low power level, like a stunbreak or a cleanse or an attack modifier. maybe reset the aura proc icd upon pet switch, so you have to wait the full 10 secs for whatever auras are active to trigger again.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Yes, but I’ve stated also, that I would like to keep the spirits.

in CDI

Flytrap.8075

Why?

I’m genuinely curious. You’ve said that you haven’t played a single sPvP game, so in all fairness, you have no idea of how toxic they are in that game-mode.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in CDI

Posted by: Dynnen.6405

Dynnen.6405

This is the biggest Charlie Foxtrot I’ve seen in a long long time

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Why?

I’m genuinely curious. You’ve said that you haven’t played a single sPvP game, so in all fairness, you have no idea of how toxic they are in that game-mode.

Nope, but I like how they perform in PvE. Or could perform if they would be more usefull.

in CDI

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

This is the biggest Charlie Foxtrot I’ve seen in a long long time

I see what you did there

in CDI

Ltomato.8649

1. Instead, apply an aura to the pet that does the same thing spirits currently do.
      1. Obviously, this would be a huge rework and would require changes to spirit traits.

This is a neat concept that’s been brought up often in Ranger threads, and I really like it. It doesn’t require the Ranger to group up, only that the pet stays alive, which can be achieved through good pet management/switching at range.

Of course there’s always the issue of pet swapping removing all pet boons/effects (see “Protect Me” or “Rampage as One”), which would end up being really silly.

Another option with spirits could be to buff their active effects, but make them die on use with a shorter cooldown like engineer turret selfdestructs (but with a shorter cooldown!). That would provide a more active/strategic component to their use, as well as eliminating the annoyance that is waiting for your frost spirit to die/or cooldown on the active so you can swap skills and insta-kill your spirit.
(i.e. 60 second cooldown on activate, 20 second cooldown + buffed aoe effect if you explode it)

EDIT:
I may be alone in this, but I really enjoy the longbow kit as it is- I don’t feel that the skills need any major changes as they are. Stealth+knockback+opening strike is really fun to use, and while Rapid Fire isn’t as bursty as I’d like, it’s still pretty cool. The proposed changes turn it into some sort of long-range power-based shortbow. I disagree with those changes 100%. Should they be implemented, I’d likely quit ranger altogether, as Longbow is currently my favorite weapon and shortbow my least favorite.

(edited by Ltomato.8649)

in CDI

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

So, it looks like some of you have already pointed out that not all the feedback was added to that summary.

Please read the first part of my post and note that I said this is only part of what has been going around, and not all of the information we have gotten out of this thread. We have been reading, after all.

Hope some of the more defensive comments are on that list for the upper tiers of the trait tree;). feel for whoever had to summarize all this but your list got a large amount of the concepts discussed at the high level overview.

Don’t agree with em all but you don’t get anywhere standing still.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

in CDI

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

if i may offer / repeat a suggestion for the skirmishing – traps -marksmanship feedback summary. it seems to me that marksmanship (due to the name implying accuracy) should have precision and crit damage stats, (possibly even swap the minor traits, too) and then skirmishing would become the power and condition damage line. traps would make more sense in skirmishing then, and a few more traits could be swapped to fit the stat swap if needed.

– The Baconnaire

in CDI

Flytrap.8075

I may be alone in this…

I honestly think you are.

Longbow is currently super clunky and doesn’t really do that great of a job of fulfilling its niche; the proposed changes would help address these issues.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

(edited by Flytrap.8075)

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

EDIT:
I may be alone in this, but I really enjoy the longbow kit as it is- I don’t feel that the skills need any major changes as they are. Stealth+knockback+opening strike is really fun to use, and while Rapid Fire isn’t as bursty as I’d like, it’s still pretty cool. The proposed changes turn it into some sort of long-range power-based shortbow. I disagree with those changes 100%. Should they be implemented, I’d likely quit ranger altogether, as Longbow is currently my favorite weapon and shortbow my least favorite.

As you may have noticed, the LB is dealing its full damage only at max. range.
In WvW or PvP the ranger isn’t capable of holding his distance to utilising the LB.
In structured PvE, the meta is “stacking and zerging”, so we aren’t able to use the LB either. That’s a maldevelopment we are trying to solve. While I don’t agree with many proposals made so far, I do agree that the LB needs help.

in CDI

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

Game mode: PVP

Proposal overview/Goal: To change Signet funtionality, and to promote team play while increasing pet survivability with traited signet.

Association Risks: 1.Players not being able to adapt to changes, therefore flaming and raging in the forums. 2. Right now it is not OP, but might be OP in the future

Signets

1. Signet of Renewal (stun break still)- Passive cures a condition to you and your pet every 10 secs
Active cures 2 condition to you and your pet (cd: 45 secs)

Traited Passive cures 2 conditions to you and your pet every 10 secs
Active cures 2 conditions to you, your pet, and allies in a 300 radius

2. Signet of the Hunt – Passive: same as current
Active you and your pet’s next attack inflicts 5 vulnerability for 12 seconds

Traited Passive grants double movement speed to your pet
Active you, your pet, and allies in a 300 radius next attack inflicts 5 vulnerability for 12 seconds

Why Change: Signet of the Hunt currently is a burst set up utility with Attack of Opportunity that doesn’t compliment Ranger’s sustained damage play style and weapon sets styles.

3. Signet of the Wild – Passive: same as current
Active you and your pet gain quickness 6 seconds and stability for 6 seconds

Traited Passive grants increase health regeneration to you and your pet (25% increase)
Active grants you, your pet, and allies quickness and stability for 6 seconds in a 300 radius

Why Change: With quickness replacing Enlargement, this should be able to compensate at least on par with the old. IMO it suits Ranger’s wear down tear down image that ANet is pushing.

4. Signet of Stone – Passive:same as current
Active grants you and your pet Magnetic Aura for 6 seconds (cd: 60 secs)

Traited Passive: same as current
Active grants you, your pet, and allies Protection and Magnetic Aura in a 300 radius for 6 seconds (Elementalists inspired)

Why Change: Some of you might see this as a nerf to Ranger, but being invulnerable to damage IMO is too OP for any class. I think no one in game should have access to invulnerability except through Elites like Guardians. (Wink wink balance team)

Note: Im trying to be as fair here as possible with these changes not just in PVP but in PVE, and WvW as well.

Success is my only option, failure is not.

in CDI

Flytrap.8075

EDIT:

As you may have noticed, the LB is dealing its(his? *) full damage only at max. range.
In WvW or PvP the ranger isn’t capable of holding his distance to utilising the LB.
In structured PvE, the meta is “stacking and zerging”, so we aren’t able to use the LB either. That’s a maldevelopment we are trying to solve. While I don’t agree with many proposals made so far, I do agree that the LB needs help.
_ * I’m not native english speaking, help me with that one_

English doesn’t assign genders to objects like other languages do; the longbow would just be an it.

You were originally correct

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in CDI

Posted by: irott.1830

irott.1830

Specific Game Mode: PvX
Proposal Overview:
Add more pet interactions with the Greatsword and with other weapons in general. Since the pet is supposed to be an extension of the player there should be more ways to control them. The skill system would be more symbiotic for the player. The pets actions would be more tied to the players decisions.

For example on the ability Swoop(GS3) allows the player to dash forward towards the target. The pet should follow suit, in their own unique way such as a pounce for cats or charge for boars. Rapid Fire(LB2) could have the pet do a quick succession of attacks as well.

Goal of Proposal
To allow the player a little more control over the pet and to cement the archetype of the Ranger which is a Hero and his/her pet fighting as one. It would also make the skills seem dynamic and unique to the profession. Each skill would have more “style” to it even if it seems somewhat boring for just the player side of things.

Proposal Functionality
It would tie pet AI to the players interface. By adding “commands” to the already existing skills it would make the Pets seem to act as one with the players character.

This could freshen up the UI for pets and create a unique playstyle. If Pet Skill 1 was set as (Set pet target) then they could do these integrated commands on another target. (leaping to their target as in the Example with Swoop(GS3)).

Associated Risks
It would make the Pet AI less intelligent giving more control to the player. This could “dumb down” the profession. It would also be a very huge balancing issue as each skill would now have a new knob to be tweaked. Overall it wouldn’t be too risky as the pets themselves are almost more trouble than they are worth. This could bring them back in balance.

in CDI

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

PvX
General:

2. More than any class in the game, Ranger requires a significant investment in traits before a large number of their utility skills are even work slotting.
  3. Ranger heals should match their purpose more.
    1. Reduce cooldown of Troll Unguent/add condi removal
    2. Increase radius of Healing Spring & increase cast time
    3. Reduce cooldown of Heal as one or reduce cast time.

Feedback 1:
On the removal of spirits are we looking at a complete rework, aura only with the deletion of the sequential skills (Cold Snap)? Are spirits, as auras, going to keep the current unversal summon time as that would seem unnecessarily long for an effect? What kind of up time/effect are we looking at?

The rework of the traits associated with the former spirits could be a good way of rethinking that huge investment for functionality of ranger utility skills.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

EDIT:

As you may have noticed, the LB is dealing its(his? *) full damage only at max. range.
_ * I’m not native english speaking, help me with that one_

English doesn’t assign genders to objects like other languages do; the longbow would just be an it.

You were originally correct

Thanks, in German it could be both, depends on how you set up your sentence

in CDI

Posted by: Vella the knight.6072

Vella the knight.6072

1. General QoL changes.

I’d kick longbow rangers because non of their kitten helps the party they stand so far spotter and spirits don’t effect party and longbow dmg is not great even buffed from proc vigil/potion/zerker/color/food highest rapid fire I saw was 20k, now a warrior can easily do over that in 75explorable dungeon(cof).

and at least with stow pet for achievements like don’t talk dmg from certain things like the scarlet hologram once your pet touches that ground aoe you fail the achievement.
if I do dungeon on my ranger I roll gs/sword/horn because all my kitten works when i’m near allies I also put down a healing pool.

at least for and example bear stowed gives you defensive boost making you survive far better in close combat.

in CDI

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

Thank you for the summary post, however, I did not see anything in there pertaining to WvWvW. We still have the problem of them dieing way to fast in zerg vs zerg. And we also have the large issue of us loosing 30% of our damage when defending or taking a keep/fort because pet’s will not scale up or down the walls. This includes the birds which will not fly up or down the wall to attack the targets. The only way I can see to combat this would be to have pets like all over class mechanics, an addition to our damage, not taking away from our damage. For instance, warriors get to do 100% of their damage and if they have full adrenaline they do an extra 15% damage. Ranger should be set up the same way with pets. Ranger’s should have 100% control of their damage and the pet, while alive, should be able to deal an extra 15% damage. If the pet is dead then it deals no extra damage like warriors with no adrenaline will deal no extra damage. We will still have the problem of the pets not being able to hit a moving target but at least the ranger will no longer have this handicap on them.

Mesmers clones can be spawned on some objects in a building so having flying pets attacking cannons, oil and other things not too far into a wvw building sounds reasonable. Many classes have options for hitting things inside a building; ele=Meteor Shower, necro=Flesh Wurm and so on, so there is precedent.

Edit: Hmmm, maybe spiders can crawl up walls too….

in CDI

Ltomato.8649

I may be alone in this…

I honestly think you are.

Longbow is currently super clunky and doesn’t really do that great of a job of fulfilling it’s niche; the proposed changes would help address these issues.

I don’t see how it’s clunky. s2, s3, and s4 work very smoothly together. s3 + s4 can act as a mini-burst, since they fire faster and have a faster projectile speed than the s1 normal attack, and followed up by s2, if you traited into remorseless, you can stack 15 vuln on a target. 10 more with the initial opening strikes from you and your pet.

Or you can open with s2, smackign 15 vuln on to start, then knockback, then s3 stealth and run, putting aggro onto your pet.

Or open with s3, send your pet in, then use s2 for damage.

Or you can open with s5, crippling enemies, or use s5 to barrage a point as an opener, then follow up with the rest of the skills.

I like the versatility of it, and the dynamic, multi-faceted play it allows.

Turning it into a long-range shortbow clone would directly make it a better kiting weapon, sure, but it would also remove all of its uniqueness and versatility.
It would be completely focused on maintaining range from a target. One sided. Not interesting at all, not to mention much less useful with the loss of vulnerability stacking.

I’d say the most clunky aspects would be the precast/slow arrow speed on s1, long channel time on s2, and being rooted for s5.

Sure, there may be issues with maintaining range in say, PvP, but that’s why we have two weapon sets.

The “niche” of long ranged damage doesn’t get fixed by being able to maintain that range. It could be fixed by increasing projectile speed so it’s not as easy to sidestep, or improving traits that specially affect the longbow, or lowering the channel time on s2 so that it becomes more of a damage burst.

(edited by Ltomato.8649)

in CDI

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why is there no direct changes to pets?

There is way too many chill and poison pets.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in CDI

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Some of these are leaving me somewhat perplex, and some I don’t really like, but when I look at the big picture of those change, I’m like WOW! Love you guys!

For those who worry about pet stowing with buffs, just look at all the added utilities one would gain with weapons attack and pets switch from having the pet out…

Can’t wait to see some of these changes implemented – if they are to be – see how they act in a live environment…
(now, you got me crying with a big some on my face)
Still too much pet to be usefull in WvW, but if shouts are more about team support, maybe that would go well!

(now, to all, don’t really expect it to be in the next balance patch… these are pretty big changes, and I don’t really expect Anet to be able to implement it in such a small timeframe… and some seem meaningless/unbalanced without others)

Edit
One thing not mentionned in these proposals but that have been discussed is to change keybind.
Many options have been given by different posters, here’s just one (that I like because it’s simple and less cumbersome than having to hold for positioning) :

F1 Attack target or closest foe (sets the pet on agressive, if it’s not already)
F1 (again, if no foe selected) Come back (sets the pet on passive)
(if foe selected, pet attacks foe)
(This demands that the pet on agressive do not auto attack the ranger’s target)
F2 Special attack (that we can select)
F3 Pet positionning
F4 Swap pets

F1 Attack
F2 Special attack
F3 Sets pet on passive and moving to targetted area
F4 Swap pets

Many more out there, though.
Basically, it would be to increase ranger’s control over the pet

(edited by Jocksy.3415)

in CDI

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

PvX
Proposal Overview
If spirits are reworked as an aura on pet effect then a total redesign is necessary.

Goal of Proposal
To improve the utiltiy of the ranger
Proposal Functionality
Auras (maybe renamed aspect or heart) could use as a powerful buff assisting both the ranger and per as well as their allies in the form of the both a proc on hit mechanic that we already see on all but the elite skill and a passive while the aura is active like the elite currently has. Basically the aura’s would last for a duration (right now 60 second like the original spirit, but could have both the duration and cool down adjusted to make for a different pace/flow. Releasing the aspect could be worked out as a sequential skill removing the aura and starting the cool down. May need to be balance around only on aspect up at a time baseline

Aspect of Nature (ELITE): Activation time ~3/4 After Cast: X condition(s) are cleansed around the ranger. The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of Nature: (duration) 60 sec effect allies within a radius of the pet heal X per second. Aspect of Nature grants a proc effect (same radius): add a % chance on hit to transfer a condition to the target hit. Sequential Skill: Nature’s Renewal release the Aspect of Nature in a burst removing conditions (number up to balance department) and reviving allies.

Aspect of the River (Water spirit) (Healing Skill): Activation time ~1 second After Cast: the ranger and their pet gain a brief non-regeneration heal over time. The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of the River granting allies regeneration for a brief time. Proc on hit adjusted for functionality. Sequential Skill: River’s Surge (Aqua Surge) Release the Aspect of the River cast time 3/4-1 second heal the Ranger, their pet, and their allies. Healing increased based on the number of allies in the area (limited ranger/pet plus 4 maybe instand of just increasing the base increase the coefficients as well)

Aspect of the Storm: Activation time ~3/4 second After Cast: the ranger and their pets next attack deals extra damage (or is unblockable) The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of the Storm granting allies swiftness. Proc on hit adjusted for functionality vulnerability on hit.. Sequential Skill: Call to the Storm (Call Lightning) Release the Aspect of the Storm cast time ¾ second dealing damage to foes near the pet (perhaps a knockdown) grants nearby allies vigor.

Aspect of Stone: Activation time ~3/4 second After Cast: Quicksand effect centered on the ranger’s pet. The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of Stone Cleansing allies of cripple (and/or immobilize) on an interval. Proc on hit protection (as current spirit). Sequential Skill: Stone Song (Call Lightning) Release the Aspect of Stone cast time (not sure) immobilize foes near the pet grants nearby allies stability.

Aspect of the Sun: ~3/4 second After Cast: small pbaoe damage and blind centered on the ranger’s pet. The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of the Sun granting allies short duration might on an interval. Proc on hit burning (as current spirit). Sequential Skill: Solar Flare Release the Aspect of the Sun pbaoe damage and blind.

Aspect of Frost ~3/4 second After Cast: Frost Armor for x seconds. The ranger’s pet gains the Aspect of Frost: removes 1 boon from enemies within short-mid radius on an interval. Proc on hit (as current spirit). Sequential Skill: Cold Snap Release the Aspect of the Sun pbaoe damage and chill.

New Traits Nature Magic
Adapt: Vigorous Spirit Replaced with Empowering Aspect: While under the influence of an aspect your pet has increased health and a greater chance to trigger their benefits.

Master: Spirits Unbound: Replaced with [Insert Name Here] lower cool down of Aspect skill and on use cleanse conditions on cast Nature: X additional condition(s), River: Poison and Bleed, Storm Blind and cripple, Stone weakness and immobilize, Sun: chill and ?, Frost Burn and ?

Grandmaster: Nature’s Vengence: Replaced [Insert Name Here] pets retain aspects when swapped. The Sequentials skills can be used on additional time before going on cool down
Associated Risks
The auras retain a certain level of passive effect which seems to annoy a vocal bit of the population. If the up time of the effects from either the After Casts or the Pulse are not well tuned yet. There could be imbalance in either direction (too weak/too strong).

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in CDI

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

1. General QoL changes.

Hold your roll there, kiddo. We already aren’t wanted in those kinds of groups. 2ndly, just because you want to be handicapped by a band-aided class mechanic doesn’t mean that 2/3rds of the Ranger player base also wants that same handicap. By making pets optional they can make 100% of the playerbase happy. You can still use your pet if you want, and I don’t have to be handicapped by a class mechanic that they will not fix because of the resources required.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in CDI

Ltomato.8649

As you may have noticed, the LB is dealing its full damage only at max. range.

It deals full damage at max range only on s1. In PvE, I use the longbow perfectly fine. I’ve smashed my share of level 50 fractals, and dungeoned regularly. There are many fights where stacking is the best, yes, but that limits all classes from many ranged weapons- not just ranger. With Piercing Arrows, s3 + s2 + s5 can do quite a bit of damage even in a stack (not to mention stacking some vulnerability). Then you can just swap weapons, get a fury buff from skirmishing 15, and melee stuff.

Longbow can use some help, sure. I made a post a while back in the Profession Balance forum detailing why Longbow is lacking (lack of unique trait bonuses)

What I’m really trying to get across is how turning a longbow into a longer-range shortbow clone won’t help at all. It doesn’t prevent stacking, and if anything, makes it less useful when stacking.

in CDI

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

What I’m really trying to get across is how turning a longbow into a longer-range shortbow clone won’t help at all. It doesn’t prevent stacking, and if anything, makes it less useful when stacking.

It wont solve stacking and it wont turn the weapon into a speedrun-weapon. But it would help alot in WvW since every class can close the distance in splitseconds.