Collaborative Development: Ranger Profession

in CDI

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

I think what he meant was that if you gave the ranger an appropriate stat boost only while the pet was stowed, then there would be no need to rebalance in the first place.

No, I think she got it. What she was saying was a straight stat boost would be hard to balance between pet vs non-pet vs other classes. On the other hand unique effects for stowing the pets (ie aspects) is more lateral power and thus easier to make competitive, each having its own niche.

And yeah, this ^

in CDI

Posted by: Fancy Fool.1743

Fancy Fool.1743

Allie, may you do another list of suggested changes at some point? 61 pages is so many, and I don’t want to bog it down with proposals that are copycats of old ones. Plus, it just gives us an idea of where you’re at and pushes through the permastow dialogue for those who aren’t really attached to the idea (and like having pets) and would like to see other suggestions.

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Also, I don’t want this thread to be entirely about pets. We’ve seen a ton of great feedback about them, and I would like to hear more about utilities that need help (and aren’t viable unless spec’d into) as I haven’t seen as much on that front!

Thanks all

Thanks for all the hard work Allie! My biggest concern outside the pet situation is the traits. I will give a few examples. Traps are in the Precision/Crit line. Problem? They do condition damage. Traps should be in the trait line that affects condition damage.

There are pet skills through out all the lines. Shouts for Ranger only affect pets doing things but are in the healing/vitality line. The GM trait in the Vitality Line number XII is for a shout. I have to spend 30 points in the vitality line if I want effects for my shouts. It renders a high damage build useless because of it.

Speed for pets is in the crit line but should be in the beast mastery line. Rangers are skirmishers, but if I want to add range to my longbow I have to spec into a master trait and it is in a wholly different line than the recharge reduction trait for Longbow.

What I am getting at is that the traits don’t feel focused enough. There are myriad other examples too. Those are just the ones off the top of my head as I am not at a place where I can log in to the game to give more focused feedback atm.

As per your comment about stowing pets not being off the table, I would at the end of the day really like to see the ability to stow pets. I really think the AI is a liability.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in CDI

Posted by: Angela Ranna.5638

Angela Ranna.5638

Thanks for all the hard work Allie! My biggest concern outside the pet situation is the traits. I will give a few examples. Traps are in the Precision/Crit line. Problem? They do condition damage. Traps should be in the trait line that affects condition damage.

There are pet skills through out all the lines. Shouts for Ranger only affect pets doing things but are in the healing/vitality line. The GM trait in the Vitality Line number XII is for a shout. I have to spend 30 points in the vitality line if I want effects for my shouts. It renders a high damage build useless because of it.

Speed for pets is in the crit line but should be in the beast mastery line. Rangers are skirmishers, but if I want to add range to my longbow I have to spec into a master trait and it is in a wholly different line than the recharge reduction trait for Longbow.

What I am getting at is that the traits don’t feel focused enough. There are myriad other examples too. Those are just the ones off the top of my head as I am not at a place where I can log in to the game to give more focused feedback atm.

As per your comment about stowing pets not being off the table, I would at the end of the day really like to see the ability to stow pets. I really think the AI is a liability.

I think this is a good point – perhaps if the trait lines were less scattered it would reduce the feeling of having to trait to make things useful. You’d have more “spare” trait points to create build diversity, rather than having to trait 20-30 into two lines to focus on one thing.

in CDI

Posted by: Dave Pare.2069

Dave Pare.2069

I’m going to ask a taboo question: when are we supposed to see the first changes? I mean, do we have to expect a balance over the next few weeks? This summer maybe? Next year?

in CDI

Angela Ranna.5638

I think this is a good point – perhaps if the trait lines were less scattered it would reduce the feeling of having to trait to make things useful. You’d have more “spare” trait points to create build diversity, rather than having to trait 20-30 into two lines to focus on one thing.

On the other hand, for the sake of PvP it would be nice to split the defensive traits out of Wilderness Survivial a bit more. Perhaps split them between Nature Magic, or maybe even make some minor skirmishing defensive traits. Right now it suffers from the opposite problem of trait dislexia – every build that has some defense in it must max this line because it has the only defensive options.

in CDI

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

I think what he meant was that if you gave the ranger an appropriate stat boost only while the pet was stowed, then there would be no need to rebalance in the first place.

No, I think she got it. What she was saying was a straight stat boost would be hard to balance between pet vs non-pet vs other classes. On the other hand unique effects for stowing the pets (ie aspects) is more lateral power and thus easier to make competitive, each having its own niche.

And yeah, this ^

The one thing about aspects is that they would seem to not work with pet traits and skills (Empathic Bond for example). How hard would it be to balance aspects that temporarily remove the pet versus a passive pet kept near you that provided support skills? Aspects could be cool, temporarily merging pet and player, and could temporarily remove all the pet problems, but having pets that provide support effects in passive mode would appear to be a solution with fewer conflicts with the traits and skills we already have.

Here’s my post from a few pages back on a way that pets could be used as non-combat support: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession/3749922

in CDI

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Perma stow wouldn’t make pets OP. In rebalancing for permastow, it would make those that still want to play with the pet op. THAT IS, unless we design something that gives the player a boost to balance it out.

The aspects I think were a little different. They talked about having specific bonuses based on the pet that the player was using. That is different from just giving a damage boost, which could end up being difficult to balance.

Make the BM trait line act as a new kind of multiplier for weapons and pets. Like each trait therein is worth 5%.

Trait 0 into BM, damage goes up 30% on your toon. (Or whatever percentage value you deemed it to be fair on avg)

The deeper you trait into BM, the weaker your weapons get, to the point that, people can do a 90/10, 95/5, split or the supposed 70/30 split when fully traited into BM.

Revert the pet damage to pre nerf lvl when they’re 30 deep into BM to account for Ascended equipment.

THEN play with the numbers on the pets to fine tune the balance. Every proposal that doesn’t involve folding potential lost damage back into the toon is a lost cause because that BM line makes it like trying to build a house on shifting sands.

If the team insists in allowing the pet to do automated dps, then they should offer a sliding option as mentioned above so players can find the happy medium and playstyle that they want.

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

On the other hand, for the sake of PvP it would be nice to split the defensive traits out of Wilderness Survivial a bit more. Perhaps split them between Nature Magic, or maybe even make some minor skirmishing defensive traits. Right now it suffers from the opposite problem of trait dislexia – every build that has some defense in it must max this line because it has the only defensive options.

I hear that. I think if some of the stuff were moved around to make other lines more compressed to offer more focus, we could move some traits out of NM to do just that and offer some things to protect. Perfect example is the shout one I gave. XII is in NM and adds regen to shouts and I think Vigor(?). That could and should be moved to Beast Mastery since the affects of Shouts are for pets.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in CDI

Angela Ranna.5638

The one thing about aspects is that they would seem to not work with pet traits and skills (Empathic Bond for example). How hard would it be to balance aspects that temporarily remove the pet versus a passive pet kept near you that provided support skills? Aspects could be cool, temporarily merging pet and player, and could temporarily remove all the pet problems, but having pets that provide support effects in passive mode would appear to be a solution with fewer conflicts with the traits and skills we already have.

Here’s my post from a few pages back on a way that pets could be used as non-combat support: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession/3749922

I don’t see why they should conflict. Have them key off the pet swap traits and you’re halfway there. Then just tune the traits that directly affect the pet to do something to enhance aspects (for your example, empathic bond could increase ranger’s boon duration while under an aspect).

Also there’s this angle – if we did aspects it could be turned into a cool, permanent part of the class. If we just give up on pets and make them passive buff bots then that could eventually be reverted once they finally get around to fixing pet AI.

in CDI

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Ok guys, just wanted to clarify a few things.

Permastow is not impossible. I never meant to give that impression, so I apologize if I did. However, as far as priorities go for the Ranger, it is not high on the list. Why? Because it would require an entire re-balance of Ranger, but if we re-balanced, then the players that do play with the pet would be OP. See the dilemma there?

Thank goodness. I am confused about something though, why would perma stow make pets op? I figured that something like a damage boost would only occur while the pet was stowed. I don’t think that the skills themselves would need to be changed, just a %stat boost that would give the approximate damage that the pet gave.

The reason why I latched onto the aspect idea was because it was an option that seemed we could maybe work around. Rather than having to rebalance the whole class, we’d just have to balance the aspects to be similar to what the pet does damage-wise. That seemed a little more viable.

I thought that aspects was basically the equivalent of perma-stowing with a stat boost, an F2 skill by family and glowing particles to show which aspect you were in. I don’t really understand how this is dramatically different from perma stowing with a damage boost while stowed.

Perma stow wouldn’t make pets OP. In rebalancing for permastow, it would make those that still want to play with the pet op. THAT IS, unless we design something that gives the player a boost to balance it out.

The aspects I think were a little different. They talked about having specific bonuses based on the pet that the player was using. That is different from just giving a damage boost, which could end up being difficult to balance.

Perhaps, but what people were suggesting was a rebalance of the class to make up for the current state of pet AI. In essence, that would mean tweaking the numbers of all Ranger traits and skills to account for the lack of pet. However, that would not be fair to the players that still want to play pets, as we would essentially be talking about completely removing the pet at that point.

What we won’t do is remove the pet from the class completely.

Does that make sense or is it still confusing?

Perfectly clear to me as I’d personally hate to have to give up my pet. I made a Ranger because I loved playing a Hunter in WoW and my pet should be a working part of it; not some throwaway gimmick or being forced to stow it because the ‘no-pet’ buff would be too good and would make it a requirement.

Also, have you guys ever considered removing the ‘Pet Swap’ and instead building the Ranger around having just a single pet? That way Pet Swap could become something like a Revive Pet channel effect in case the pet goes down.

I always found Pet Swap a rather awkward mechanic and I’d much prefer having to choose a single pet as my lifelong companion with the ability to revive it on occassion instead of pulling pets out of my quiver like I’m some kind of magician.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in CDI

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Seeing we are back on pets for a bit, I thought I would partially quote myself from the bottom of page 58, and add some new things in here that have been mentioned since (or brought up again). I have removed the analysis of these suggestions, due to the fact that new additions likely made the whole thing to long…

RECAP on PET Suggestions II (also see near bottom of page 58)
0. Remove the pet entirely and give ranger a different mechanic

1. Do what ever can be done to improve the pets functionality (various suggestions for this one, not recapping here)

2. Make ‘stow pet’ a perma stow, nothing else (bare bone stow)

3. Make ‘stow pet’ a perma stow, give rangers a straight buff to damage through stats or a specific [you have stowed your pet, +X% damage buff skill specific for rangers]

4. Make ‘stow pet’ a perma stow, give rangers a whole new F system replacing that of the pet. (be it preperations, traps, quivers)

5. Make ‘stow pet’ a perma stow, giving rangers an Aspect buff based on the pet family stowed. Each pet family would supply a different buff, and thus stowing the pet would become part of making a build.

6. Make every F-key summon a pet the Ranger choose to link to it. These pets are ‘summoned’ to assist the Ranger for a period of time and then de-spawn. For the time a pet is summoned, the F-keys could turn into the current ones (or an improved version), to give the ranger control over the pet. (could be augmented with a ‘non combatant’ pet linked to the ‘pet portrait’-button, this ‘non combatant pet’ de-spawns on agro, so combat pets can be summoned).

7. Pets become a ‘utility skill’ just like in GW1 (possibly even 3), and Rangers get a new profession mechanic.

8. When pets are put to ‘passive’ they no longer attack for any reason, their skills are changed into more supportive versions, the AI triggers on various things happening around the ranger and pet and uses the support skills. (Variation of this customization idea https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/Collaborative-Development-Ranger-Profession/page/57#post3749922 )

9. Likely I forgot a specific idea for the pet, though from memory, most other suggestions are a permutation of some of the above. Either with more details, rules to the mechanic, or a tad different functionality.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

(edited by Arghore.8340)

in CDI

misterdevious.6482

Also, have you guys ever considered removing the ‘Pet Swap’ and instead building the Ranger around having just a single pet? That way Pet Swap could become something like a Revive Pet channel effect in case the pet goes down.

I always found Pet Swap a rather awkward mechanic and I’d much prefer having to choose a single pet as my lifelong companion with the ability to revive it on occassion instead of pulling pets out of my quiver like I’m some kind of magician.

Early on you could only own 3 pets, only have one active at a time, couldn’t change pets in combat, you could level your active pet up to unlock more than its auto-attack, and then you could handpick which skills you wanted to put in those other pet skill slots with several pet skills that no longer exist.

They changed all that.

in CDI

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

based upon more close analysis of pet behaviour

Specific Game Mode
PvX-Pet

Proposal Overview
Make ‘passive mode’ truly passive

Goal of Proposal
Not have the pet run into a fight when it is hit by something, and still act in an aggressive manner and get itself killed.

Proposal Functionality
When you put a pet on ‘passive’, it doesn’t do anything but follow you around, and perform the [F]-key skill when it is pressed. Even if this means that the pet is under full assault by some source or force it will remain as passive as Ghandi.

Associated Risks
The pet will die eventually (if it doesn’t receive heals), because it will get hit eventually by something, with the large amount of AoE that is a given. ‘BUT’ it will at least die at my side, and not run off to fight a big boss because the AoE of that boss happened to hit the pet.

this may have been mentioned already, as I missed about 15pages somewhere in the middle, but seeing I noticed this on my last couple of game sessions, and haven’t read it yet myself, I thought i’dd add it here

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

(edited by Arghore.8340)

in CDI

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

And yeah, this ^

So I started thinking, why not keep everything the same with pets, except improve the AI of course(which is on the list anyways), keep attack mode, but change passive mode to guard mode. Add a few more skills to pets, skills for attack mode and skills for guard mode, when the pet is in guard mode it stays by your side, the F2 ability changes to a guard mode type utility, AND the pet absorbs 30% of the damage you take. that seems fair since it is 30% of your damage.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in CDI

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Ok guys, just wanted to clarify a few things.

Permastow is not impossible. I never meant to give that impression, so I apologize if I did. However, as far as priorities go for the Ranger, it is not high on the list. Why? Because it would require an entire re-balance of Ranger, but if we re-balanced, then the players that do play with the pet would be OP. See the dilemma there?

Thank goodness. I am confused about something though, why would perma stow make pets op? I figured that something like a damage boost would only occur while the pet was stowed. I don’t think that the skills themselves would need to be changed, just a %stat boost that would give the approximate damage that the pet gave.

The reason why I latched onto the aspect idea was because it was an option that seemed we could maybe work around. Rather than having to rebalance the whole class, we’d just have to balance the aspects to be similar to what the pet does damage-wise. That seemed a little more viable.

I thought that aspects was basically the equivalent of perma-stowing with a stat boost, an F2 skill by family and glowing particles to show which aspect you were in. I don’t really understand how this is dramatically different from perma stowing with a damage boost while stowed.

So if you don’t want to shift the damage to “Ranger 100% damage + Pet additional damage”, which could be partly shifted back by investing points into beastmastery, you better have a smart solution. Personally I like to have a pet around since it draws the aggresion. The only thing I want more than having a pet tanking for me is having my damage back. With my suggestion, I could have both. If you want to give us our damage back if we’ve our pet stowed, I would have to decide.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

in CDI

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Proposal Overview

Improve shouts to make them more attractive while increasing ranger – pet synergy

Goal of Proposal

Ranger shouts are lackluster. Sickem has evolved to just being an anti stealth counter. Protect me hurts your pet. Guard is just used to spam Natures Voice. And I don’t even think search and rescue is worth mentioning.

Proposal Functionality

Sickem – 25 second cool down.
Your next attack immobilizes target for 3 seconds.
For 5 seconds your loose control of your pet and it gains + 40% speed and + 30% damage.
This helps pets hit their targets more and is helpful synergy.

Protect Me – Cool down made to 30 seconds
Your pet gains weakness for 6 seconds. You and your pet gain protection for 6 seconds. Your pet also steals 2 conditions from you.
This improves build diversity by adding active condition removal it removes a need for every build to have Empathetic Bond. It also won’t kill your pet as a damage transfer but still can be great against burst damage. It still retains the weakened pet functionality as pets won’t hit hard with weakness

Guard – Cool down increased to 25 seconds. Cast time reduced to .25 seconds
Your pet protects a target territory for 60 seconds. Your pet gains Stability, Protection, and Retaliation for 8 seconds.
There are so many ways to share offensive boons with pet, this is great for pet defense and helps out the AOE problem in PvE and WvW. I get the need for a cast time on a ground target AoE as well but this can be sped up to the speed of necro wells or marks.

Search and Rescue – Cool down decreased to 60 seconds.
Your pet locates a downed ally in the area and attempts to revive them. If a no downed allies are found the pet attempts to rez a defeated player and the cool down goes to 150 seconds.
This makes it worthy of being taken, now even if something were to happen it can still rez a defeated player but it is balanced out by going on a long cool down

Associated Risks

It’s a rework of shouts, Natures voice spamming builds would be effected but in turn might opt to use more of these better shouts to proc it which is actually a positive in my mind.

Allie I am glad you want to talk about things other than pets.

Part 2 of my utility rework focuses on traps.

Proposal Overview

Improve trap build options and have some of its traits be affected by condition related lines. This proposal affects WvW and sPvP

Goal of Proposal

To split trappers expertise into 2 separate traits to improve the versatility of melee trapping and placing traps at your feet with the larger radius. And to still allow the common rabid trapper to still take Sharpened edges or a carrion trapper to take keen edge and ween off the crits a little bit.

Proposal Functionality

Trappers Expertiese
Your traps are ground targeted and have 900 range
This will improve the overall viability of AOE damage rangers can do in WvW and finally bring them some use.

Healers Clarity – CHANGED TO Enlarged traps
Increase the radius of your traps by 60
Rangers have 2 revive traits when they only need 1, leave trappers defense and change this. This also puts a trap trait in the wilderness survival line for condition damage and improves Melee trappers and the WS line and NM line are more focused on Sword and Greatsword

Associated Risks

Trappers who currently go X/30/30/0/0 will loose an adept trait to pick up the new trait but it will be minor as not many of the traits there synergize with trappers.

Potential trap builds that could arise -
Standard X/30/30/X/X trapper is still viable
30/30/10/0/0 trapper becomes very interesting for power / control trapper.
Carrion trapper becomes slightly improved by putting 1 trait in the adept WS line.

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in CDI

Aveneo.2068

Early on you could only own 3 pets, only have one active at a time, couldn’t change pets in combat, you could level your active pet up to unlock more than its auto-attack, and then you could handpick which skills you wanted to put in those other pet skill slots with several pet skills that no longer exist.

They changed all that.

That’s a shame. Well, not the part about only owning 3 pets but the other things like only having one active pet, levelling (training) it and choosing its abilities sounds a lot more interesting. Sounds a bit like how pets behaved/evolved in GW1.

in CDI

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

So I have been reading the thread and some of the major ideas I latched onto that the devs talked about that I would just like to input on.

Rangers and condition removal

While I think an additional condition removal should be added through a shout. I think a new trait could go a long way. New trait Grandmaster BM trait Fresh Start You shed 2 conditions on pet swap

Ranger becoming the master of poison

This is a truly good idea. Here are some things I think are creative think tank ideas for the devs

Traits

Lingering Poison Poison you apply cannot be cured. (this would have to be a grandmaster) (but poison spamming….perhaps only cured on heal or have an after affect happen if it is cured
Smell of poison Your pet deals 15% more damage to poisoned foes.
Vulnerable poison you apply vulnerability (2 seconds) to poisoned foes you attack.
Paralyzing poison you apply immobilize (1 second) when you apply /reapply poison.
Crippling poison you apply cripple (3 seconds) when you apply /reapply poison
Anguishing poison you apply torment (3 seconds) when you apply /reapply poison
Super poison When you apply poison, your foe gains quickness and chill for 3 seconds.

in CDI

misterdevious.6482

That’s a shame. Well, not the part about only owning 3 pets but the other things like only having one active pet, levelling (training) it and choosing its abilities sounds a lot more interesting. Sounds a bit like how pets behaved/evolved in GW1.

Yeah building your own pet sounded neat. You can see the old pet customization in action here (In German)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVvK7vqx-Vo&hd=1#t=0m17s

In addition to the skills the drakes have now, there was a passive regen skill, a shake that removed conditions, an evasion skill that made the drake back out of combat, and a roar that weakened enemies.

(edited by misterdevious.6482)

in CDI

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Perhaps, but what people were suggesting was a rebalance of the class to make up for the current state of pet AI. In essence, that would mean tweaking the numbers of all Ranger traits and skills to account for the lack of pet. However, that would not be fair to the players that still want to play pets, as we would essentially be talking about completely removing the pet at that point.

Very much correct in these assertions. I would like to mention, however, that simply running the numbers to account for the lack of scaling with the pet removed is probably one of the easiest fixes to account for. Simply, based upon the tendencies of the class, applying a +40% modifier to damage output while the pet is stowed best accommodates for the 30% reduction we face. These percentile modifiers already exist in the game as various forms of +5/10/20% modifiers and are calling the same methods (in the game’s code) to apply these effects. Simply allowing for a conditional modifier to be applied based upon pet status would be very easy from a coding standpoint and would fairly easily address a lot of these concerns in the immediate future.

A 40% modifier is necessary (rather than 30%) because it would be a damage modifier after considering the 30% reduction.

So if say damage normalization would be at 100, the ranger hits for 70. Ergo to compensate for this reduction, 70 needs to be multiplied by a value (x) to equal 100.
So 70x = 100
x = 1.4285, or approximate 43%.

That’s not to say ranger doesn’t need a rework in general. This, however, is a modular fix which should be implemented first such that future trait/skill redesigns can incorporate this new style of play. Reworking the current mechanics to then down the road have plans to scrap them to then re-do them all over again just seems silly and a waste of time, meanwhile appeasing a large portion of players. I got pretty inspired by Nike’s suggestions in that I believe a lot can be done with this class, and am also working on a total redesign for future posting. I do agree that such changes need to be made first, as mentioned above, to allow for a better, easier, and smoother development cycle.

And meanwhile, after some basic skill changes and this new implementation, which are also simple to do (pet hitbox resizing, minor trait changes, etc.), should this be considered a game-changing fix, development efforts can concentrate on another class while these changes settle in and players adjust, allowing for mass groups of players to be happy while then more time can be further allocated to the ranger after other necessary adjustments are made to say, the second-place class in the CDI vote. Address these big mechanics changes first across the board, then tweak balance, because at the moment, the game is really imbalanced by the current strategy and will not improve any time in the future until these adjustments are made. Might as well get them over with earlier to at the very least make people happy with the class they play.

in CDI

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I think the reverse of this was used as the reasoning behind nerfing pets to begin with, wasn’kitten That is, the ranger and the pet did ‘too much damage’ so the pet was nerfed to compensate.

My fear with permastow is it will break things further in the balancing process. No matter what, playing without a pet would win out. Even if on paper a ranger + pet would theoretically do more damage, the pet AI is so bad at hitting things that it would not matter.

Basically, beastmasters will be seen as a huge liability. Instead of just hating rangers in general, people will start to hate based on what kind of ranger you are, which is IMO worse. Why would anyone want a person with a lackluster AI that cannot stay alive and draws huge amounts of aggro around when they could just ‘upgrade’ to the non-pet option?

in CDI

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

And yeah, this ^

So I started thinking, why not keep everything the same with pets, except improve the AI of course(which is on the list anyways), keep attack mode, but change passive mode to guard mode. Add a few more skills to pets, skills for attack mode and skills for guard mode, when the pet is in guard mode it stays by your side, the F2 ability changes to a guard mode type utility, AND the pet absorbs 30% of the damage you take. that seems fair since it is 30% of your damage.

Because they made it abundantly clear that pet AI is the same algorithms as the hostile mob AI. Improvements means recoding the entire game to be smarter or writing an an entire new AI code just for pets. Not only is this infeasible, a smarter pet isn’t going to magically make us better and would only intensify the AI petting-zoo hate in the game already.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in CDI

Substance E.4852

I think the reverse of this was used as the reasoning behind nerfing pets to begin with, wasn’kitten That is, the ranger and the pet did ‘too much damage’ so the pet was nerfed to compensate.

My fear with permastow is it will break things further in the balancing process. No matter what, playing without a pet would win out. Even if on paper a ranger + pet would theoretically do more damage, the pet AI is so bad at hitting things that it would not matter.

Basically, beastmasters will be seen as a huge liability. Instead of just hating rangers in general, people will start to hate based on what kind of ranger you are, which is IMO worse. Why would anyone want a person with a lackluster AI that cannot stay alive and draws huge amounts of aggro around when they could just ‘upgrade’ to the non-pet option?

Probably the same reason we all already play with “a lackluster AI that cannot stay alive and draws huge amounts of aggro around” instead of just rolling a new class. Using the pet would become like using bearbow in dungeons. It’s your choice to play something that is ineffective in the current situation so don’t complain when people call you out on it.

Perma stow gives us the tools to at least end the general hate on the ranger and let us play a way that is viable in situations where the pet clearly isn’t. (WvW, world bosses ect.)

And I highly doubt that Anet would give all the love to non pet rangers when so many of our traits affect the pet and they still adamantly believe we are “the pet class”. Worst case scenario, we’d see the same lack of support we have been getting for the last 1.5 years anyway. We can’t get much more ignored.

in CDI

Posted by: BlackenX.7386

BlackenX.7386

Make it like Necro F1 when Ranger permastow pets
F1 - Transformation: To become as your pet, your skills bar = pet’s skill. (10s CD)
F2 - No such option when permastow
F3 - No such option when permastow
F4 - Swaps pets. (unchange)

How It Works:

• Similar to Necro Death Shroud, Press F1 to transform as your current pet.
  • You will have 4 pet skills in your weapon skill bar. No 6 to 0 skills.
  • You will have pet’s attribute in stead of yours.
  • When you lose all you health during transformation, you will transform back as Ranger.
  • Press F4 to swap pet for another transformation. 60s CD even if not defeated.
  • Swap to another transformation when you Press F4 during Transformation.
  • A minimum of 10% pet’s health is required to enter Transformation.
  • Ranger cannot be healed while in Transformation, it only heals the current pet which in Transformation.
  • While in Transformation, players cannot interact with objects. This includes picking up bundles, reviving allies, and interacting with environmental objects.
  • Once you are in combat/ in Transformation, you cannot unstow your pet back.

Associate Risks
Anet programmer may not able to stow Ranger/ change Ranger into a pet.

Traits – Update the trait fact, for example

• Malicious Training – Increases duration for conditions applied by your pets/during Transformation.
  • Pet’s Prowess – Pet/Transformation do more damage on critical hits.
  • Fortifying Bond – Any boon you get is shared with your pet./ Any boon you get is remain when you transform, double boon duration while in Transformation
  • Instinctual Bond – (New) When your pet is defeated, you gain quickness
  • Stability Training – (New) You gain stability when Ursine, porcine, and armor fish pets disabled/ end of transformation.
  • and so on…

Utility Skills
Shout – Now Ranger gains the effect as well as pets.

• “Guard” -> “Ambush”(New) – You and your pet teleport to a position. You and your pet gains stealth and protection for the duration of the skill. If you and your pet attacks or moves out the area, the effect ends.
  • “Protect Me” – Unchange (your pet sill can absorbing all damage while permastow)
  • “Search and Rescue”(new) – Your pet will seek out and revive a downed ally. You gains stability (5s)and 50% revive speed (10s)
  • “Sic ’Em” – Revealed an enemy. You and your pet runs faster and does more damage.

Pros:

• Ranger gets triple health bar (LoL)
  • Foes have to defeat your pets (Transformation) in order to kill you (Ranger)
  • Full control in pets
  • Now Ranger has benefit even they permastow

Cons:

• Lower dmg as before, as your pet is stowed
  • Low dmg while in transformation (coz pet only has 4 skills with long CD and Ranger cannot use his weapon skills to do dmg)

(edited by BlackenX.7386)

in CDI

Posted by: Nektera.9425

Nektera.9425

Game-mode WvW

proposal overview: the design philosophy do not support ranger in WvW zerg

Goal of proposal: empowering ranger AoE capability to support a zerg-busting situation in WvW.

Proposal functionality:
in the design philosophy, it says “best single target and sustained damage”. i think that is the problem why ranger is the worst WvW zerg profession. with this philosophy, ranger did not even get “best” single target damage because it need to be sustained. so this philosophy that Anet has. only works for PVE. why? because people in WvW moves rapidly. and you cannot sustain your damage. longbow is a good example for this. LB is a good sustained damage for PVE. but in WvW, you will be interrupted over and over (forced by situation). so there is no utility for ranger in a WvW zerg.

so to increase ranger support capability, we can:
1. decrease the AoE skill cooldown in Longbow
2. or make new AoE skill in longbow.
3. make longbow’s arrows pierce without a trait.
4. muddy terrain causes cripple plus some other effect.

but… actually… , with this change, Anet can keep hold to the idea of a single target sustained damage. the solution is to make AoE skill not doing much damage. but it have other utility such as stack vulnerability, combo-field, knockdown, etc

Associated Risk:
1. its against the first ranger design philosophy (nvm, actually its not against anything).
2. overpowered ranger AoE support

risk:
Many people hate piercing arrow… Would they need to trait for arrows not to pierce
4. muddy terrain causes cripple plus some other effect.
Added effect = longer CD… = no

solution: make longbow piercing trait have other effect.

4. give up. lol

1. and 2. still make sense. the point of this change is to give ranger more capability to support in a WvW zerg fight.

in CDI

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

proposal:
pet passive dmg boost

essentially this is a sort of comprimise for people who want their dmg back, but still makes the pet a useful mechanic.

essentially the pet gives a status and dmg buff based on the pet when its in passive mode.
HOWEVER
its still out there, and can still be killed, this makes the pet a resource still, that can be countered and still needs to be considered. I would make the pet get the same invulnerability frames while this is active.

Risks
might be too OP for ranged dmg. Dont know if it would satisfy guys who just want the pet to cease to exist.

in CDI

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Probably the same reason we all already play with “a lackluster AI that cannot stay alive and draws huge amounts of aggro around” instead of just rolling a new class. Using the pet would become like using bearbow in dungeons. It’s your choice to play something that is ineffective in the current situation so don’t complain when people call you out on it.

Perma stow gives us the tools to at least end the general hate on the ranger and let us play a way that is viable in situations where the pet clearly isn’t. (WvW, world bosses ect.)

Thing is, there was this in the past when GW1 had the option of rangers not using pets . . but they still caught flak. Especially if you saw a ranger who hadn’t loaded D-shot.

In any game there’s been a ranger class? They’ve been hated on. In any game there’s been pet classes? They’ve been hated on.

. . . I got used to it a long time ago.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in CDI

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

PvX – Pet focused traits are too conditional and generally not viable.

More specifically the following traits (roughly 20% of the ranger’s overall trait selection):
Malicious Training – 50% increased condition duration for pets.
Pet’s Prowess – 30% increased critical damage for pets.
Agility Training – Pets move 30% faster.
Carnivorous Appetite – Pets heal on critical hits.
Expertise Training – Pets gain 350 condition damage.
Concentration Training – Boons applied by the pet last 50% longer.
Master’s Bond – Pets gain a stack of this buff (max 25) that increases all their stats by 8(200 at 25). This is lost on pet swap or death.
Compassion Training – Pets gain 350 healing power.
Stability training – Bears, pigs, and armor fish gain 3 seconds of stability when disabled(?).
Intimidation training – F2 abilities of dogs and spiders cause 5 seconds of cripple.

The issue with most of these is that they are extremely specialized (you need a specific pet to get any sort of good use out of them) and generally not viable due to the limited capabilities (30% of your damage and poor condition and boon application) and poor behavior of pets.

For instance, when pets make up ~30% of your damage and have generally low critical chance, that 30% increased critical damage they cause with Pet’s Prowess is much weaker than the 10% a player would recieve. Similarly increasing the effectiveness of conditions, boons, and healing for the pets isn’t powerful due to the limited access pets have to conditions, boons, and healing (more so how useless pet healing in general is due to their lack of damage mitigation and pet swapping).

The issue with the rest of these is that they are just too weak or difficult to use effectively:

30% movement speed isn’t even equal to swiftness and only affects the pet, which is less than 1/3 of your damage. 3 seconds of stability? Heck, even if this was permanent stability to these pets its use would be questionable. F2 abilities cause 5 seconds of cripple to certain pets, which is too low of a duration given it being one of the weakest conditions and how long the cool-down of those F2 abilities are. Masters bond is rarely viable due to to how often you need to swap pets and how much care you need to put into them to keep them alive.

My proposed changed:

My first thought was to make all these traits affect both the pet and the player. However, this would be problematic due to them having to be balanced around a “70-30” system, the ranger getting 7% critical damage while the pet gets 3%, while another class would get 10% to their main character for example, which is a primary complaint about the ranger. For that reason I wouldn’t take this route.

So I think the best route would be to replace these traits with completely new ones that use better mechanics (the current ones are poor for the most part and just give a little stat boost with no real synergy between the ranger and its pet). An example would be something like malicious training being reworked to: When you strike the target there is a 20% chance of both you and your pet causing a random condition on the next attack (10 second cool-down).

(edited by Bri.8354)

in CDI

Substance E.4852

Thing is, there was this in the past when GW1 had the option of rangers not using pets . . but they still caught flak. Especially if you saw a ranger who hadn’t loaded D-shot.

In any game there’s been a ranger class? They’ve been hated on. In any game there’s been pet classes? They’ve been hated on.

. . . I got used to it a long time ago.

Again though, same issue as we have now. Why would you not slot d-shot? It was borderline OP and almost always hit when used with a recurve bow.

We also had the same problem we have now, people would just sit at max range with their flat bows and spam barrage, doing nothing else. They wouldn’t even slot splinter weapon with it. It wasn’t hard to build for solid damage on a ranger, people just didn’t want to put in the effort of hitting more than one button. We were pretty useless in FoW/DoA groups but we never had the “no rangers allowed” bullkitten that we have here.

I feel ranged/archer classes get flack because they are hard to balance properly from a pvp perspective so they tend to be either too weak or too strong and rarely fall into that happy medium. The other half of it is that they attract the laziest of the lazy, people who want to play mmo’s on cruise control and then complain when others call them out on it.

If anything. warriors were much more hated than we were. It was a special thing to get one or two who didn’t think they were invincible and aggroed every kitten thing in sight, overwhelming the monks and then kittening in party chat about how they needed a rez.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

in CDI

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Shortbow traits are in Marksmanship and Skirmishing. Problem? The Shortbow deals condition damage. Shortbows should be in the trait line that affects condition damage.

Some spirit effects increase with condition damage, but are in Nature Magic. Problem? They do condition damage. Spirits should be in the trait line that affects condition damage.

Ranger Skills deal condition damage. Problem? They do condition damage. All Ranger traits should be in the trait line that affects condition damage.

Frost Trap doesn’t Deal condition damage. Problem? Its only affected by Condition Duration. All Traps should be in Marksmanship, because traps belong in a trait line that affects condition duration.

in CDI

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’s difficult when you create the ranger to be so simple, though. I really like the way R.OH.A.N.: Blood Feud handled the class. It was based upon kiting/mobility and banked upon a skill combo to deal massive damage on a high cooldown. Problem is that this skill combo rooted you in place. The auto-attack damage was on the weaker side, and your base stats (like HP/armor values here) were trash-tier, so getting hit in the early stages of release (the game has since gone bad due to microtransactions/bad development) meant dying instantly. That said, the combo damage was arguably the best DPS in the entire game and made skillful use of it rewarding/defined the good rangers of the game.

Skills should require a lot of coordination, which often the archer classes lack in MMO’s. Yes, usually they’re very straightforward and as you mentioned is why they either beome OP or UP, however good implementation can make the class very involved just on a different level. Rather than timing heals and mitigating damage with defenses, ranger play should be based around good positioning and nothing else. A ranger left alone/un-targeted shooting people from afar should be a threat, not so much one in close combat and engaged in the fight, as ANet seemingly tried to do with the longbow damage tiers.

The biggest problem is that we’re in a game where we have impassable structures (WvW towers) which promote longer-range play and turtling. These are probably the biggest aspects which need to be overcome to make the class both rewarding but also skill-intensive.

in CDI

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Again though, same issue as we have now. Why would you not slot d-shot? It was borderline OP and almost always hit when used with a recurve bow.

Time to hurt my ranger cred. I couldn’t ever connect with D-shot properly. So I used other skills instead. Those I could almost always nail, but never D-Shot.

We also had the same problem we have now, people would just sit at max range with their flat bows and spam barrage, doing nothing else. They wouldn’t even slot splinter weapon with it. It wasn’t hard to build for solid damage on a ranger, people just didn’t want to put in the effort of hitting more than one button. We were pretty useless in FoW/DoA groups but we never had the “no rangers allowed” bullkitten that we have here.

We had exactly as much as we have here – it’s present but it depends on where you are and what is getting done. We’re doing runs of CoF HM, wait you have a ranger? Nope. I gave up on PUGs for many things because it was just . . . frustrating to hear “do you have any other classes?” often enough.

That said? It’s still not as widespread here. Yet.

That said, I tended to run Recurve almost exclusively. Decent range and responsiveness, not as limited as the shortbow in range. Dabbled in hornbow for a while, didn’t really find it working too much for me.

I did keep flatbow/longbow on hand for some specific things. And a melee weapon set which was never intended to be used, just to fool enemy AI.

But yeah, while I like the GW1 ranger . . . still do, a lot . . . I also like the GW2 ranger. I just miss the preview we got with Keiran Thackeray in “Hearts of the North” where he could one-shot things with proper teamwork.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in CDI

Posted by: Nektera.9425

Nektera.9425

i already give suggestion before here in this forum in page 60. but i want to add things to ranger’s Longbow

Specific Game-mode: WvW

Proposal overview: changing the 4th skill of Longbow

Goal of proposal: increase ranger support in WvW zergbusting

proposal functionality: the bad thing about ranger is that almost every weapon in ranger is one targeted weapon. in fact, that is the design philosophy, which is “single target, sustained damage”. we can still keep that idea. but is it disadvantageous in WvW? well yes if every weapon is one target purpose and no more utility.
i think we can give ranger weapon a little bit more utility with still holding the design philosophy of one-targeted sustained damage. for example, we can change the idea of 4th Longbow skill knock down.
the current 4th skill of longbow is very single targeted. except if you use piercing arrow. but i think piercing arrow dont work either, because in WvW situation. enemy rarely stay in one place. so “single target sustained damage” wont work in WvW if that is the only thing that ranger do.
my new 4th ranger longbow skill is somekind of “explosive arrow” AoE blast that will explode 2 sec it is set. and will give effect to the enemy such as knockdown.
if Anet still want to hold its philosophy. this is still viable, because the 1 and 2 Longbow skill is still a “single target sustained damage” (but…….., its still a bad philosophy for a class, since GW2 have dodge mechanic")

potential risk, NONE. because its just changing how the source knockback from single piercing row, to AoE. which will help WvW ranger for using Longbow.

in CDI

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Improvised Survival (PvE, WvW)

• New Trait in Wilderness Survival
  • Improves our Condition removal beyond the limited options we have now that (beyond a single heal skill), forces us to rely on pets or spirits.

Functionality

• Improvised Survival (original idea) – Whenever you use a utility skill, remove a condition from you and your pet for each utility skill not yet used. (no internal cooldown, maybe Master Tier?)
  • Improvised Survival (alternate idea) -Whenever you use a utility skill, remove a condition from you and your pet. (7-10 second cooldown. maybe Adept Tier?)
  • Affects the use of all Utility Skills. Traps, Survival, Shouts, Spirit Summons, Signet Actives, Spirit actives(alternate only), etc.. Gives us effective (and active) self condition removal.
  • Spirit actives are for the Alternate idea only, otherwise, there would be too much easy access to multiple condition removals that are basically free, because the original idea doesnt have a cooldown.
  • The Original idea encourages smart use of Utility Skills instead of spamming them all at once, because if you stagger the use of them, there is more chances you get to remove more than one condition at a time, instead of just one,…or none.

Risks/Rewards and Balance issues

• Hey, maybe there is a reason why Rangers are supposed to be so good at sustain, but can’t sustain condition removal.
  • High initial condition removal, but, If all your utility skills are on cooldown, this trait won’t work on you. There are downsides to having this trait if you can’t time and stagger your use of utility skills.
  • Some utility skills have rather low cooldowns (traps), and the ability to remove more conditions would be a little skewed intowards those skills. To make effective use of traps and be on a competing level with other condition spec professions requires giving up survival skills in order to use though, so it may balance out.

Discussion

• Its about the simplest solution I can think of to our problems with removing conditions.

in CDI

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Let’s make it clear then

Every class has 100% base player damage by itself, and their unique bar gives more dmg or special things.

While I didn’t read the original 70:30 post it quite obviously derived from a dev who said that Rangers are expected to bring some damage through their pet. But this also applies to other classes who have damaging class mechanics because the class mechanics are most likely not exlcuded when balancing their damage. Everything else does not make any sense at all. This means that the class mechanic has to be included for all Mesmers, all Warriors, at least power Necromancers, most Engineers and even situationally for Thieves. Comparing Ranger 70:30 to Warrior to 100:15(F1) is just inaccurate.

Okay, let’s make it clear then. As an average, classes have ~75% dmg of possible fully.
Then when they trait on it, they’ll have maximum of “100%”, + the F skills give additional dmg or features. It should matter what you trait on. If you go for damage, then go, other hands there are survivality, support, and beastmaster for us.

But as you see, most of us prefer Pets to don’t deal dmg that counts while Untraited for it.

I personally would not mind if the pet was gone but I don’t think it would fit the original class design. However, I’m not sure if it is true that most want the pet to be gone or to deal no damage. I know many people who love their pet. Therefore, you probably should not talk about ‘most of us’ when it just represents your point of view.

There is no mutch reason for pets to be gone, devs will decide it anyway.
What matters here is their worth. IF you trait up on Beast Master, then its logical to use your pet for competitive damage output in side of yours. IF NOT, then just a base dmg line, and still useable buffs/debuffs.
However, permastow should give you some buff to compensate your lack of “extended arm”, which pets meant to be.

@ No CDs: Balancing Thieves are out of this topic, but this isn’t a real issue. Or at least it shouldn’t be. Problem is on AN’s side, they put up “one shot kill” skills as balance and wonder why they seem unbalanced.

If one shot skills were the issue you would not see anyone spamming skills on one target. The main problem with Initiative is that it encourages solely using your most effective skill. That is why people spam PW etc. I don’t want to see something like that because it emphasizes brainless button mashing. It might also be very difficult to balance because Rangers could also use evade spam this way. No fun for anyone besides the troll using it.

The problem isn’t with the non-cd methood. That itself is a very nice next-gen design!
The reason thieves spam skills are because it does kitten mutch damage and they autoaim targets.
For a melee weapon thats just pure idiotism IMO. BUT:
Imagine when we would be able to stop LRS AA and use our weapon skills without CD.
As mentioned in my new redesign, you can shoot 2x Rapid Fire or 2x Barrage before you get “exhausted”. Does that OP? Not. If that dual rapid fire would make ~18k dmg in ~5 seconds, that would be JUST EQUAL to most of other classes. This is why I’m suggesting it hard, because my design would give ~everything we need without being OP.

Attachments:

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

(edited by RoyalPredator.9163)

in CDI

Posted by: Zorpi.5904

Zorpi.5904

Well you can put that thing other way around and that’s why i like to ask from you how is it fair to keep things as they are now for thous rangers that don’t want to play as beast master? Anet advertised this game by saying play how you want and as far as i have understand that supposed to one core design of this game but still it sounds like keeping ranger class design is more important to you than make possible for us to play as we want? I don’t say you should remove pet or make permastow possible but i say you really should make possible to us play and be as effective without relying to pet. Of course that would not be necessary if you can make sure that pet survive in all situation and do things we need them to do when we need them, but that cant happen with out giving us full control of they skills and making them almost invulnerable when used right, same time pet have to be so deadly that our opponents cant just ignore it or so important to our survival so they have to take it down first. So can you devs make pet worth to be ranger class mechanic and are you ready to do it or should you think alternative options?

(edited by Zorpi.5904)

in CDI

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Anet wish to keep the ranger “status quo” which I understand. Unless they have never played a ranger they must also agree that our pets are hurting the class “as is”. I may have a solution that can keep rangers as they are, but fix the silly pet, and avoid perma stowing altogether. (I would love perma stow BTW).

PVE ONLY

Make ranger pets immune to damage via an adept trait
Rebalance the 70-30 damage split between ranger and pet to 90-10 and make pets untargetable, and immune to all AOE. The 10% pet damage is called for because the pet will no longer take damage. This will allow non beastmasters to, while still having a pet, have control over their own power to a greater extent while still being “rangers”.

Any build that wishes to absorb the power of the pet activates the trait, those that don’t want to don’t. This solves almost completely the issues with pets dying in WvW zergs and dungeons while not making rangers OP, since I didn’t even call for 100% of our damage.

Drawbacks to Proposal
Some builds will still use a pet with poor AI and it will die.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in CDI

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

Hey everyone,

I’ve tried to summarize most of the feedback we’ve been getting. Most of this are the big points that are being made and the high level with a few smaller suggestions and tweaks for inspiration.

Now, many of you might disagree with some of the feedback that others have been giving, but if you guys are going to take the time to write it, we’re going to take the time to read it.

These are some of the notes that I’ve been passing around to the balance team. Please know that this is not all of the feedback we’ve seen from you or from this thread.

Sorry since this is pretty late reply, but I felt it was worth replying to.

Most of these changes sound amazing, but there are a few things that I have to disagree with.

Weapons:

1. Ranger weapon sets are currently lacking in focus and should be redesigned so that weapon selection synergizes with specific playstyles.
    1. Longbow: Reward max range and synergize with pet.
      1. Vulnerability instead of damage increase with range (s1), cripple (s2), immobilize (s3), knockdown (s5)
      2. Pet might (s3), swiftness (s2), regen (s5)

Long range is enough of a reward itself. We don’t need incentives in the form of damage boost or conditions the further away we are. Furthermore, a long range play style conflicts with the pet, taking them far too long to run to the target when first engaging and when swapped.

Instead of increasing things like damage or giving vulnerability, what I suggest is the pet shadow-steps next to the opponent when you use a certain skill if you are a certain distance away from the target. (preferably based on the distance of your pet from the target) This effect should be on a internal cool-down. This would allow the pet to reach the opponent much easier when fighting at long distances with the longbow.

Something I’d like to emphasize is that the longbow should be damage focused. It should of course have some control effects to allow it to keep distance from the enemy, but unless damage is its primary focus, it won’t shine as a weapon.

Skirmishing:

1. Remove traps from this line.
    1. They simply do not make sense here, because they are largely condition based but skirmishing is the crit line. That, or swap the stats of the skirmishing line altogether.

Be careful with this. If you moved traps to wilderness survival then those who invest in them would sacrifice nearly all their defensive traits. The skirmishing line also has little to nothing to offer for a trapper build or condition damage outside of these trap traits. These changes would harm a lot of builds in favor of one and might even put trappers in a worse spot.

Marksmanship:

1. Change VII to Hunter’s Tactics – +3% increase damage on disabled enemies (stun/daze/knockdown/fear/immob)
  2. IX. Beastmaster’s Might – pet does +1% damage for every boon on enemy
  3. X. Eagle Eye – Include shortbow. Provides 200 range and +5% damage on longbow and harpoon gun. (no range bonus for shortbow)

The duration of disables and the rangers overall lack of them would make this a difficult to use trait. Perhaps it should also give a damage boost when the opponent is crippled since the ranger has plenty of cripple attacks, and the damage bonus needs to be much higher than 3%.

Beastmaster’s might needs more damage considering how low pet damage is. Even in some of the best case scenarios your pet is going to do 20-30% more damage (if every stack of might is counted), which seeing how it only does 30% of the characters damage if even that, will result in a 6-9% damage increase overall which is very weak given the conditions required to reach this. For more typical situations, you’re looking at a less than 3% damage increase.

The changes to eagle eye aren’t what players have been asking for at all. Buff it to the 300 range increase it currently gives and make it apply everything it provides to the shortbow, not just the damage increase.

in CDI

Posted by: Immolator.5640

Immolator.5640

Hey, I’m kinda newb/noob to the profession, and generally only play mine for variety and in my off time, however a lot of the problem with it as far as I’m aware is lack of sustain in terms of healing and staying alive. If you look at other examples like Thief and Guardian, the latter has a low base health pool, but makes up for this with high protection, regen, healing and dodging rates, as well as anti-burst skills and high stability uptime, their survivability is also buffed by their heavy armour. Thief is medium armour and similarly has a low base health pool, most of their survivability is based on stealth and movement, as well as a generally high DPS output on most builds due to the safety brought to them by stealth, enabling them to ‘kill before being killed’.

With Ranger I think there’s not enough of these factors to keep them alive; I have a very low stability uptime and hence can be CC’d and caught, destroyed if I don’t position well. The only stability utility skill I can use has a 1.5 sec cast time, requires a master trait and lasts for a very short amount of time. Similarly one of the only anti-bursts requires exactly the same. Movement is mostly on sword or Greatsword; the former of which is unwieldy to a point due to the twisting necessary to get it in the right direction, and GS has a relatively long cooldown between leaps. Traits to shorten these require going 20 deep on two different other trait lines, so assuming you want reduced CD on your longbow, on your GS, and some stability, you have to use all of your trait points. Compare this with Guardian which gets reduced CD on all 2h weapons for 20 points and easy access to stability untraited, as well as easy GS movement, it comes up short. The trait lines on ranger definitely need to be gone over; we have a higher base health than the other two, but not the huge movement and stealth of the Thief, nor the anti-burst, damage negation, healing and Heavy armour capabilities of the Guardian. I also feel Longbow could use an overall damage buff, as it’s insufficient at effectively harrying or damaging a foe before they close with you; at which point you’re screwed however idk about it.

I won’t mention my bear(s)

Hope these help at all, just observations from a casual ranger; I also apologise if I’ve repeated anyone.

Commander Ezekiel The Paladin
Underworld Battalion [WvW] Leader (retired) – Gandara [EU]
All Is Vain https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboard/

(edited by Immolator.5640)

in CDI

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

@ “Godmode Pet Trait”: For those who go Druid and Trait up on SUPPORTING, Why not? Ofc that pet won’t make such big damage but helps you to get some loot at least.

@ Play how you want: I want burst damage meanwhile I risk my life. Like many others.
@ LB Damage focus: 100% Agree with the base logic here.

@ Initiative/Endurance/Stamina CoreSystem: Main point would be to be able shoot 2 of special weapon skills without CD, then it dries out your spendable, so you’ll autoattack again. Problem with thieves is that their skills cost way little.
Anything that not autoattack should be doubleused at risk of being exhausted, and should have more benefit.

Attachments:

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in CDI

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Regarding armor, I would sincerely dislike such things. Alternate skin colors (within reason) maybe, but adding armor to pets would be rather ridiculous in my opinion and I truly hope ANet is not seriously considering this when there are so many other issues that would be better served spending development time on.

I would kill for some blue warpaint on my alpine wolf.

NSPride <3

in CDI

Aveneo.2068

Yeah building your own pet sounded neat. You can see the old pet customization in action here (In German)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVvK7vqx-Vo&hd=1#t=0m17s

In addition to the skills the drakes have now, there was a passive regen skill, a shake that removed conditions, an evasion skill that made the drake back out of combat, and a roar that weakened enemies.

I WANT THAT!!

ANet, remove the Pet Swap in favor or a single pet and give us back skill customization for it so we can choose which skills our pets should use during a fight! And include passive ‘aura’ skills too! That way people that don’t like their pet can keep it on passive and have it radiate their passive abilities instead! Win-Win for everyone!

in CDI

Posted by: Lobo.1296

Lobo.1296

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Also, I don’t want this thread to be entirely about pets. We’ve seen a ton of great feedback about them, and I would like to hear more about utilities that need help (and aren’t viable unless spec’d into) as I haven’t seen as much on that front!
Thanks all

There has been a lot of posts about traits and utilities, many of them very well thought out and balanced if implemented properly. I do agree, though, that we should get off pets for awhile on this CDI, we’re beating a dead horse (which resembles my pet during most boss fights).

I’ll highlight some of my favorite suggestions on weapons and utilities, but will forgo the suggested format as I am pressed for time.

Weapons:
Warhorn 4: Add a blind to the bird attacks and allow it to ignore line of sight OR add a condition removal OR add a protection/stability/regen buff (or just one of those).

Longbow 1: Increase damage at close range, add vulnerability debuff based on range instead of damage increase. Also, increase missile travel time as it is very easy to dodge or side-step glitch.
LB 2: Keep damage the same, decrease channel time. Add cripple or immobilize
LB 4: Add a cast-time to the skill. One click keeps damage/knockback the same. Hold the cast bar for increased range, damage and knockback.
LB 5: Allow for movement during channel, add immobilize on first pulse. Or remove and rework the skill as it has a lot of issues in WvW

Shortbow 1: Have bleed stack regardless of position, add torment or increase damage if used while flanking.
Shortbow 4: Add torment
Shortbow 5: Add confusion

GS 1: Increase damage okitten
S 2: Add blast finisher
GS 3: Add evade to swoop

MH Axe 1: Increase damage – at least on primary target

Torch 4: AoE fire burst when it hits
Torch 5: Increase duration of bonfire, remove conditions when in it.

OH Axe: Allow projectile to travel on the Z axis.

Sword 1: You know what to do.
Sword 2: Reduce animation time on evade.

Weapons General: A look at damage coefficient may be in order to make up for AI. Also, weapon skills beside the AA should have damage looked at as we are the only glass whose best damage abilities come from the Auto Attack.

Heals:
Troll Unguent: Add condition removal on each pulse or at least on initial pulse.
Heal as One: Allow it to revive down pet.

Utilities:
Signets: Allow all signets to affect ranger and pet without needing Beastmaster Signet trait
Signet of Stone: Change toughness to damage reduction like Guardian and Warrior signets

Shouts: In general are considered weak across the board. Cooldowns and durations should be looked at.
Sic ’Em: Grant stability to pet
Protect Me: Grant protection to pet
Guard: Reveals stealth in target area (remove protection from pet if necessary) increase damage of pet when in area.
Search and Rescue: 1st click: skill functions as normal. 2nd click: pet shadow steps to ranger with downed player.

Sharpening Stone: Have it increase damage of next attacks by 5-10% and bleed (for power rangers)
Muddy Terrain: Knocks Down when cast
QZ: Remove blindness, weakness, chill
Lightning Reflexes: Remove Immobilize, cripple, chill. Have it hit 5 targets
Traps: Increase damage when triggered so they can be used as another form of burst and not just condition pressure. Increase radius and duration of fields.

Spirits: I won’t get into a lot of detail on these since I think we’re going to see some changes on this front. I will say that the RNG nature of their skills should go in favor of a static buff.
Storm Spirit: Remove swiftness and add another buff or give attacks condition cleansing, boon removal or some other benefit.

Utilities General:
Cooldowns should be looked at across the board. Signets and shouts especially but all should be looked at for what they give and how long they are on cooldown.

in CDI

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

Let’s make it clear then

Every class has 100% base player damage by itself, and their unique bar gives more dmg or special things.

While I didn’t read the original 70:30 post it quite obviously derived from a dev who said that Rangers are expected to bring some damage through their pet. But this also applies to other classes who have damaging class mechanics because the class mechanics are most likely not exlcuded when balancing their damage. Everything else does not make any sense at all. This means that the class mechanic has to be included for all Mesmers, all Warriors, at least power Necromancers, most Engineers and even situationally for Thieves. Comparing Ranger 70:30 to Warrior to 100:15(F1) is just inaccurate.

Okay, let’s make it clear then. As an average, classes have ~75% dmg of possible fully.
Then when they trait on it, they’ll have maximum of “100%”, + the F skills give additional dmg or features. It should matter what you trait on. If you go for damage, then go, other hands there are survivality, support, and beastmaster for us.

I am not sure if I understood you right, but all classes, with the exception of ranger’s from what I have understood from the dev’s, all classes start with 100% damage. I have not read any post’s or heard any statements from dev’s stating that mesmer’s damage is reduced because they expect clones to fill a portion of that damage. Or necro’s damage is reduced because they expect minions to fill a portion of that damage. So far the Dev’s have only mentioned ranger’s as having to give up 30% of their damage to pets. A level 80 warrior with no traits has 100% control of their damage and they have 100% of their damage. When traited, any bonus’s, 10% through this trait for using XYZ weapons, 5% this other trait, 15% for the adrenaline full trait, ect.. This is all added to the 100%, so the example I’m using above, he will have 130% damage which is a 30% buff to damage thanks to traits. That’s a given, that’s what traits are for and why some traits are for some weapons and not others.

Ranger’s on the other hand start at 70% damage instead of 100% damage with 0 traits. So you add the Bow percentage, or your traiting that way or you add the GS percentage when traiting that way and any other percentage from traits and you’ll see that you, the ranger part, does not come up to 100%. Now you have pet’s, which are suppose to be responsible for 30%, trait on them and their damage percentage is suppose to go up as well. On paper it should balance out to what warriors are doing. However, since our pets can’t hit moving targets and since are pets can’t scale walls and since our pets die in 2 seconds in zerg’s and since our pets are practically USELESS, we lose out of those 30+%. So while all other classes are doing >100+% damage, we are at <100+%.

So to recap, From the dev’s mouths as we know for sure right now, Ranger’s are the only ones that start <100% damage because of pets. Now, if a dev wants to come on here and say anything about Necro’s having the same thing or mesmer’s to clear the air on this matter that would be great. But until we hear otherwise, we only have confirmation of ranger’s having this handicap.

Speaking of which, why is it that necro’s with all of their minions don’t have balancing issues when they can spec to not use minions and not lose DPS? What’s the difference between them and us if they also have pets and theirs is optional?

(edited by Akisame.9508)

in CDI

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

It’s probably been mentioned, but I’d like a change to Remorseless and the Opening Strike traits.

The primary issue with the traits are that they all combo with each other, but become useless in a more protracted battle. The secondary issue is that the traits feel like they’re approaching a really cool class feature, but stop just half way there.

If Remorseless stays based off stealth, it’s frustrating to see one Ranger weapon skill, one shout for your Pet, and one single trait. But I don’t think people want Ranger to have more stealth.

One option would be to change the meaning of the “Opening.” A change like, “Regain Opening Strike whenever you successfully evade an attack.” Although this now feels more like a Skirmishing trait…

I also dislike that an entire minor trait slot is wasted with Alpha Training. Considering Ranger’s mechanic is their pet, the original Opening Strike trait should automatically give it to both you and your pet.

So to summarize, here’s a proposed change log:

• Combine Marksmanship 5 Opening Strike with Marksmanship 10 Alpha Training.
  • Move Marksmanship XII Remorseless to Marksmanship 10, either unchanged or removing the stealth portion.

From there you can do something like:

• Move Skirmishing XII Moment of Clarity to Marksmanship XII.
  • Change Longbow skill 3 to something that can cause an interrupt.

Or even:

• New trait Sniper, “While your endurance is full, you have a 50% chance on a crit to regain Opening Strikes.”

And as suggested above:

• New trait Make an Opening, “Regain Opening Strike whenever you evade or interrupt an attack with a weapon or utility skill.”

The primary worry is that this is a power creep suggestion.

Personally, I view Ranger as a class that’s low on burst but high on pressure. Often like a more direct damage based Necromancer. Marksmanship is a trait line that emphases this by focusing on letting the Ranger give constant damage output from range. Like the Necromancer, the primary counter to this is to rush down the Ranger and CC when able.

Edit: A friend caused me to notice that I didn’t place any internal cooldowns on the new traits. That along with tuning down the Vulnerability stacks are great points of balance I didn’t consider.

Call me Smith.

(edited by Proven.2854)

in CDI

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Let’s make it clear then

I am not sure if I understood you right, but all classes, with the exception of ranger’s from what I have understood from the dev’s, all classes start with 100% damage. I have not read any post’s or heard any statements from dev’s stating that mesmer’s damage is reduced because they expect clones to fill a portion of that damage. Or necro’s damage is reduced because they expect minions to fill a portion of that damage. So far the Dev’s have only mentioned ranger’s as having to give up 30% of their damage to pets. A level 80 warrior with no traits has 100% control of their damage and they have 100% of their damage. When traited, any bonus’s, 10% through this trait for using XYZ weapons, 5% this other trait, 15% for the adrenaline full trait, ect.. This is all added to the 100%, so the example I’m using above, he will have 130% damage which is a 30% buff to damage thanks to traits. That’s a given, that’s what traits are for and why some traits are for some weapons and not others.

Ranger’s on the other hand start at 70% damage instead of 100% damage with 0 traits. So you add the Bow percentage, or your traiting that way or you add the GS percentage when traiting that way and any other percentage from traits and you’ll see that you, the ranger part, does not come up to 100%. Now you have pet’s, which are suppose to be responsible for 30%, trait on them and their damage percentage is suppose to go up as well. On paper it should balance out to what warriors are doing. However, since our pets can’t hit moving targets and since are pets can’t scale walls and since our pets die in 2 seconds in zerg’s and since our pets are practically USELESS, we lose out of those 30+%. So while all other classes are doing >100+% damage, we are at <100+%.

So to recap, From the dev’s mouths as we know for sure right now, Ranger’s are the only ones that start <100% damage because of pets. Now, if a dev wants to come on here and say anything about Necro’s having the same thing or mesmer’s to clear the air on this matter that would be great. But until we hear otherwise, we only have confirmation of ranger’s having this handicap.

Speaking of which, why is it that necro’s with all of their minions don’t have balancing issues when they can spec to not use minions and not lose DPS? What’s the difference between them and us if they also have pets and theirs is optional?

I’d argue that Engineers also have problems with damage if they don’t slot in a specific utility skill while traiting heavily for it, or traiting heavily for profession mechanic combo.

I’d also argue that Mesmers have problems with damage if they don’t make use of their profession mechanic, which also involves AI, for extra burst damage.

Call me Smith.

in CDI

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

1. You are usually in a party of 5. No pet is going to have a serious effect on a boss.

Then that is something that could be improved.

They will merely scratch it. When I’m in a party and about to come up to the boss fight, I switch out pets for purely buffs (might/fury stack pets). That’s all they are good for in that type of setting,

Because they are currently bad. Make them good.

I don’t want devs wasting times on how pets can be improved for bosses lol. They show up, buff me, than proceed to die in 3 hits.

And why would you be content with that? That’s unforgivable. Pets should not die in 3 hits or less during boss fights. It renders them completely useless.

2. Rangers absolutely suck at supporting a party , no doubt about it. There is only frost spirit + spotter + healing spring… you can compare those to what other classes bring to the table. Point is, it doesn’t matter ok.

Of course it matters. This is a balance discussion, and you just admitted that they suck at support. So…. make them better at support.

Improving bows for PvE to be on par with swords is probably a tough call for the devs… simply because if Bows do equal damage to swords, than every little ranger will just sit at range and pew pew away instead of actually being skilled and trying to be in melee range

So they are not skilled if they used ranged attacks? Why not? And if that is the case, don’t you think the ranger would benefit from changes that would add more depth and strategy to ranged combat?

For the first few questions about bosses and pets, I’ll say this, There are WAY more important issues for devs to solve than how pets can be useful against a boss. It doesn’t matter what way you spin it, when you are in a party of 5, no one in the party cares what a pet does DPS wise on a boss lol. Thats like asking anet to buff the minions for necro to be useful agaisnt a boss. It’s not necassary ok, you are in a party of 5. All 5 players are way more crucial to the boss going down than a pet ever will be. It’s completely irrevelant in a party setting and many rangers could care less. Anet would have to give pets massive DPS boost to be useful on bosses, which is not happening. That’s completely broken and unbalanced.

Of course I would love rangers to be better at support…but I could care less about supporting in a PvE setting… No buff from anet will make them on par with guardians buff to party, on par with mesmer utility or on par with warrior/thief DPS. Dungs/Fracs are already easy, I do them just fine with how ranger currently is. But WvW/sPvP is a different story. The only viable builds I have are pretty selfish in these settings…which is where I would love to see some serious change. Of course I wouldn’t mind more support in PvE and across the board in general either, but it’s not that big of a deal in PvE because theres simply better classes at PvE and I just play them if i wanna do dungs/fracs lol

I don’t mean to sound rude, but did you ask why using range skills takes no skill??

You are in a party of 5, the heavies are aggroing the boss, you are sitting comfortably at range just spamming auto attack on bows, rapid fire when it comes off cd, and occasionally dodging any boss attacks.

Where on earth do you possibly see where range combat takes skill? Its literally sit there and press 1 while heavies agro. What do you mean add more depth and strategy to range combat? That right there means revamping the entire range combat system. That’s 100% not happening. Ranged combat will never be on par with melee in terms DPS in PvE settings. Ranged combat is for those are have shaky surviviablity when meleeing. Unless you have a really hard time playing with sword as ranger in PvE, there is no use for a bow unless the situation absolutely calls for it. Ranged is better at DPS if you constantly find yourself being downed while in melee (being downed means no DPS, and that is when range DPS becomes better since you are doing nothing in melee).

I don’t see anet changing to where rangers will prefer to fight in range combat (in PvE at least). I wouldn’t want that anyways, sword is very fun. Now I do wish bows were more useful in PvP settings. Right now, I can barely do anything besides get in 2-3 arrows before someone just gap closes on me and I have to switch out.

in CDI

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I am not sure if I understood you right, but all classes, with the exception of ranger’s from what I have understood from the dev’s, all classes start with 100% damage. I have not read any post’s or heard any statements from dev’s stating that mesmer’s damage is reduced because they expect clones to fill a portion of that damage. Or necro’s damage is reduced because they expect minions to fill a portion of that damage.

Look at the baseline weapon damage of Mesmers and then tell me that there is no damage re-allocation to Phantasms or no consideration of Shatters. Without Phantasms or Shatters a Mesmer deals lousy damage.

Of course, this does not apply to a Necromancer since Minions are not the class mechanic. But Phantasms sort of are. Also, assuming that Burst skills of Warriors go ontop of the weapon damage is silly regardles what a Dev said in the past and how people might interpret it. Not using your Burst skills on a Warrior will always make you less effective.

Rangers might have a bigger chunk of damage linked to their class mechanic than others and they indeed lack control. But they are not the only class where damage is integrated into their class mechanic. That is why I personally reject suggestions which go ‘Warriors got 100% damage + Burst skills, Rangers should get 100% damage + Pet’ because it is based on inaccurate assumptions. It is very naive to assume that other damaging class mechanics are not considered when balancing a class.

That being said, I’d rather go on discussing proposals regarding weapon changes or utilities instead of getting stuck on the class mechanic and how people interpret a statement which is not even backed up by numbers.

Again, it is not their class mechanic. They also lose a lot of utility when going MM.

in CDI

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I’ll highlight some of my favorite suggestions on weapons and utilities, but will forgo the suggested format as I am pressed for time.

Heals:
Troll Unguent: Add condition removal on each pulse or at least on initial pulse.
Heal as One: Allow it to revive down pet.

I personally would enjoy Troll Urgent curing specific conditions (e.g. Burn, Bleed and Poison) on cast. Not per pulse. And certainly not conditions in general per pulse. TU already is quite nice and the addtional general condition removal per pulse feels over the top.

Heals as One to revive the pet sounds nice. It could also grant an additional benefit when the pet is alive. I can’t think of anything fancy right now which could make it more appealing, though.