Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Ok….if you are going to start flinging around terms like “cosmetically handicapped…” you have no hope of anyone ever taking you seriously….some Dev just fell out of his chair laughing…..

I get wanting the ugly things changed, but making up PC terms and acting like it’s akin to beating kittens with a golf club is a bit much….

If you’d research a bit about this, you’d know that even Colin has agreed that this should be fixed and has promised a fix for this, he just didn’t give us ETA. And I don’t care if you take it or me seriously, you don’t take this whole thread seriously. I just don’t understand why you keep posting here. We get it, you don’t think that this is an issue. You can focus on another threads now.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadeofgrey.3065

Shadeofgrey.3065

I add my vote to addressing the issue.

I make a super-cool engi in celestial colored armor, and then I took out the grenade kit and the brown hobosack totally ruined the aesthetic. His cool points were reduced by 200%. It was a sad day.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

No hiding in 2nd page…i’m a sonovabump

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Still no response to this issue I see. Need a non-excuse response please.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but does this on the patch notes mean that MESMER PHANTASMS have taken time and resources to ensure they wear the Mesmer’s current back piece?

Phantasm Skills: These skills now correctly show their back items with the phantasm effect.

I don’t know if this is good news that they’re putting attention into back piece visuals, or bad news because it had nothing to do with us.

I think the ultimate irony here is the biggest, longest standing grief Engies have is cosmetic. Mesmers on the other hand….

in Engineer

Posted by: HanaFujii.3528

HanaFujii.3528

Am I imagining this, or did they say before that they were looking at making it a visual on your belt?

in Engineer

Posted by: yhvh.8703

yhvh.8703

Nothing yet regarding this?

:/

Well, I hope we get it adressed with the iminent expansion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Am I imagining this, or did they say before that they were looking at making it a visual on your belt?

You’re imagining it. That was one of the player suggestions. The only response we have ever gotten to this from a dev was nearly 2 years ago, and it was “We’re looking into it.” That’s it.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

One of the devs did mention they were thinking of doing a fanny-pack thing.

in Engineer

leviathan.2148

I just made a blog post about this problem compiling a lot of suggestions together How can Anet remove engi hobosacks?

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

in Engineer

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

Yeah, I think they said something about considering putting the kit on the players’ hips, essentially sticking it in one of the 1-handed holstered weapon positions.

That would at least fix the issue with hiding back items, though it would do nothing about the fact that kits don’t match most armor dye jobs and look like low-level gear even if you’re wearing a full set of magitech armor.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

This will happen – this must happen – if it won’t happen ANet will recive approximately 5823823 mails a day.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

Yeah, I think they said something about considering putting the kit on the players’ hips, essentially sticking it in one of the 1-handed holstered weapon positions.

That would at least fix the issue with hiding back items, though it would do nothing about the fact that kits don’t match most armor dye jobs and look like low-level gear even if you’re wearing a full set of magitech armor.

Indeed. They should just add visual clue in the off hand and that’s it. Like i’ve already said:
- pack, nade or bomb belt offhand
- gear shield offhand
- nothing for FT EG since they are pretty clear

A nice touch would be stowability, but i can live without. Serously how much resource this can take?

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

I just made a blog post about this problem compiling a lot of suggestions together How can Anet remove engi hobosacks?

+1

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

One of the reasons I can’t get into my engineer is that skins mean less on them. Weapon skins? You rarely see them if you use any kits. Back pieces? Same problem. That is 2-3 slots that you can’t meaningfully visually customize in a game about visual customization. There needs to be an option or something to turn off class specific gear.

in Engineer

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

I love my spinal blades back, and I recently-ish finished my first legendary, The Predator. And I hardly ever get to see either of them…

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

yeah, that’s our issue. People would be more inclined to invest in their engineer, meaning possibly even gem store purchases…i really think that finding a solution is a win win situation!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Krikett.5298

Krikett.5298

I’d give a kidney, a leg, an arm, and anything that would leave me still able to play Guild Wars 2 with IF ONLY Arena Net could please address this “sooner” rather than “later”. It’s over 2 years into the game and engineer is hilariously underrepresented. Veterans would be much happier playing the class if it didn’t actively punish you for wanting to show off ANY of your hard earned weapon/back skins. (Which happen to be the most expensive and difficult to obtain skins in the game.)

in Engineer

Posted by: Krikett.5298

Krikett.5298

“One of the reasons I can’t get into my engineer is that skins mean less on them. Weapon skins? You rarely see them if you use any kits. Back pieces? Same problem. That is 2-3 slots that you can’t meaningfully visually customize in a game about visual customization. There needs to be an option or something to turn off class specific gear.”

You are SPOT ON my friend. As an engineer main I’ve been raging over this for years now, anet pls.

in Engineer

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

My personal theory is that Anet probably has a fix in place and ready to go, and have done for years. But they keep putting it off every time someone uses the term ‘hobo sack,’ because it’s just such an annoying expression, and has no real connection to what the thing actually looks like. I have the same theory about Commander functionality and ‘dorito.’

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

My personal theory is that Anet probably has a fix in place and ready to go, and have done for years. But they keep putting it off every time someone uses the term ‘hobo sack,’ because it’s just such an annoying expression, and has no real connection to what the thing actually looks like. I have the same theory about Commander functionality and ‘dorito.’

That would be the highest peak of Trollatio
Edit: we made it to page4. Yay!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Tristan.5280

Tristan.5280

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

in Engineer

Posted by: Orcinus Orca.8627

Orcinus Orca.8627

/signed
Hopefully the new specialization won’t have these bags.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think Hobo Sack and Dorito label very properly the things they are refered to. Of course, those nouns aren’t detailed and scientifically objective descriptions, but I think Dorito Hobosack MMO Enterprises employees probably have enough sense of metaphor to understand.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I had to check google for ‘hobosack’ (also dorito) since I am not english/american and don’t know that stuff. It gave me a good laugh :-)

Topic: there are other games witch shape-shifting where you are in a different shape and won’t see your armor etc. almost never. I think they just want to keep it in order you to feel immersed.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

Still we are craving for a dev reply. Gaile Gray we summon you! <3

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I had to check google for ‘hobosack’ (also dorito) since I am not english/american and don’t know that stuff. It gave me a good laugh :-)

Topic: there are other games witch shape-shifting where you are in a different shape and won’t see your armor etc. almost never. I think they just want to keep it in order you to feel immersed.

See, the problem is a lot of the incentives in this game are VISUAL. The fact that engineers rarely see visual upgrades or customization to their back item and weapons is in direct contradiction to the games goals and directions. That is a problem and needs to be fixed.

in Engineer

Posted by: StarNightz.8496

StarNightz.8496

so will this actaully happen in the expansion at least….or are devs just saying ideas and not gonna take action

Kimditcher

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Still we are craving for a dev reply. Gaile Gray we summon you! <3

Yes please. everyone get their brooms and form a circle! Now start chanting! There we go, maybe we’ll get one of them to appear in the circle and tell us about the changes coming to hobosacks. If not, see the picture below.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

Is there any other convention in the near future where there will be GW2? Cuz i’m totally thinking of showing up with an hobosack on my back. And a commander tag. Green. (Seriously we need some more colors xD)

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

Is there any other convention in the near future where there will be GW2? Cuz i’m totally thinking of showing up with an hobosack on my back. And a commander tag. Green. (Seriously we need some more colors xD)

LOL that would be awesome for everyone to show up with a hobosack on.

What’s sad tho is when you look at the long list of players on the list of people who are presenting the videos about what’s going and those who were invited to Anet’s location to talk about HoT I’ve not seen a single one of those presenters or reviews play the Engineer class.

It’s truly telling when you have not only no representation on the Development team but also no representation on the side of reviewers who are talking about the expansion or the game on a weekly basis. It’s like everyone’s ignoring that this class exists unless it has to do with PVP and then e-sports or something.

At this rate nothing important to the community will be fixed much less hobosacks if proper representation doesn’t exist in the two most visual communities of the game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Since we are unsuccessfully waiting for a comment of an Anet official, I’d say we should start a petition.
Veterans know how important skins are for the end game content and I honestly judge people’s experience by their appearance as I do in real life.
It is therefore outrageous that my fractal capacitator gets clipped by a hobosacks which looks like my dad’s sleeping bag from World War Two!
Then there is this beautiful legendary: the preditor. Unfortunately it is prey itself, hunted down by the inevitable hobosacks.
Having achieved these items and just realizing how unimportant they now are seriously drives me crazy. It even let’s me think of rolling a warrior just to at least look at my beautiful legendary…
As stated a thousand times and ignored another thousand times, let’s sign a petition and start a relevant thread.
Fighting an engineer I never look at the hobosacks, I judge their play style by the skills he slams in my face.
Vote for redesign, toggle option or new backpacks!
But seriously, let’s do something against it!

in Engineer

Posted by: Gian.8296

Gian.8296

+1 support from your friendly warrior neighbour.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Are you trying to advertise a new thread for the topic, in a thread that is about the topic?
I’m confused.
A-net is deaf, blind and mute. we all know this…

I hereby vote to rename “a-net” into “Three wise monkeys”.
At least until hobosacks are fixed

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Easy costume, too. Show up with a potato sack filled with empty soda cans fastened to your back with rope, and tell everyone it’s Engineer cosplay.
If they say it looks stupid, tell them the replica Spinal Blades are hidden by the pack, and throw a can at them.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

Easy costume, too. Show up with a potato sack filled with empty soda cans fastened to your back with rope, and tell everyone it’s Engineer cosplay.
If they say it looks stupid, tell them the replica Spinal Blades are hidden by the pack, and throw a can at them.

Aight now is officially a thing, who’s gonna join me?

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

i hope they remove hobos, maybe instead of this we can get UI change for each Kit different theme around skill panel, just like revenant elite swap

Attachments:

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

i hope they remove hobos, maybe instead of this we can get UI change for each Kit different theme around skill panel, just like revenant elite swap

Utterly and Majestically Terrific <3kits

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Gern.2978

Aight now is officially a thing, who’s gonna join me?

If there were ever a convention near me, I would be all over this.

P.S. make sure you carry a wrench around with you, so they can tell which toolkit you are using.
Oh, and make sure to make some really awesome and detailed cosplay armor that clashes with your Hobosack, maybe asura T3 armor or magitech, to really drive the point home.

(edited by Gern.2978)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dethl.2875

Dethl.2875

Moving into and out of the first person camera removes your hobosack until your next kit switch. Quick, someone make a macro to have your camera ping pong back every time.

some server who knows
Foolsworn (M) | Dehtl (M) | Iofo (G) | Foolburt (W) | Fooloop (T)
Fools Foolentine (EN) | Fooliqi (EL) | Fooniols (N) | Foylshen (R )

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Moving into and out of the first person camera removes your hobosack until your next kit switch. Quick, someone make a macro to have your camera ping pong back every time.

inb4

Bugfix: Engineer Kits now properly displayed after leaving first-person perspective.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

….
If you’d research a bit about this, you’d know that even Colin has agreed that this should be fixed and has promised a fix for this, he just didn’t give us ETA. And I don’t care if you take it or me seriously, you don’t take this whole thread seriously. I just don’t understand why you keep posting here. We get it, you don’t think that this is an issue. You can focus on another threads now.

I seriously doubt Colin used the term “fixed” (quote and prove me wrong). Again, consistent exaggeration of facts and what this issue is really about does nothing but make the issue something to be joked about. I’ll leave you to your pitchforks and torches over this game breaking bug…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

Teehee.

Revenants get a permanent, very subtle and faint aura around their arms depending on what legend they channel. A blue mist around their arms in Jalis mode, a purple one when they are channeling Mallyx.

But does that mean we get a PERMANENT hobosack now? Because that would be like, the ultimate addition to our class, guyz.

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

in Engineer

leviathan.2148

I seriously doubt Colin used the term “fixed” (quote and prove me wrong). Again, consistent exaggeration of facts and what this issue is really about does nothing but make the issue something to be joked about. I’ll leave you to your pitchforks and torches over this game breaking bug…..

ColinJohanson.2394:
„It’s something we’re absolutely aware of and want to address in the future, one of my main characters is an engineer so I feel ya on this one. My poor quaggan backpack is visible like 2% of the time I play as I kit swap, never mind my weapon skins…“

Is this enough for you? More than a year ago, he said that they want to address it. No it’s not “fixed”. Yes, it means the same. Synonyms, eh? If you want to play with words, than go to school. Also, noone claims it to be game breaking. Issue doesn’t have to be game breaking to be an issue. And again, the only one, who makes fun of it here, is you. Please, if you want to discuss, then discuss, don’t just make fun of us that are passionate about this issue. Or keep laughing and trolling, whatever makes you happy.

in Engineer

Gaaroth.2567

Just came for daily bump and hoping for a dev reply

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

The daily bump is my new additional daily event
Just got a fractal capacitator and the Preditor. Guess what?
Nobody in my guild noticed -.-

in Engineer

Posted by: Gian.8296

Gian.8296

As if engineers in spvp weren’t bad enough, gettin’ roflstomped by hobos is plain bad. Period.

in Engineer

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

If you guys want a dev reply your going about it the wrong way… just watch this.

OMG ANET THANK U!! 1! I love everything so much. I am so excited with all the changes! I met my wife while playing your game. Now we are having our 7th child. No one understands how much work things are, only game designers understand real work.

It seems the last month these are the only posts that get official response.

In all seriousness though I don’t really have any real grips about this game or its devs I just laugh that they won’t a dress things like this because the gaming community is a relatively immature audience which does not forget anything you say. If they were to say they are looking at this then its a countdown to when We can get it

in Engineer

Gern.2978

…. If they were to say they are looking at this then its a countdown to when We can get it

That’s the point though, they did say they were looking into it…..a year and a half ago…..

So, surely you can see why we are all a bit upset by their response to this issue; we all feel as if the devs were just placating us at first without actually planning on doing anything, and are now just totally ignoring us when it comes to this particular issue.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

How is this not been merged with the one in the engineer subforum?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.