Problems with Engineers and Legendaries

in Engineer

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

No there shouldnt. being able to visually see what an opponent is using is important in wvw/pvp. In fact a lot of this game is aimed at being able to tell if yourself or opponent is burning or poisoned or wielding a staff.

They need a solution, and i dont know what that is but letting you customise or hide the kits isnt it. Maybe if they make the kit weapons more recognisable they could do away with the backpacks altogether, but that’d take redesigning.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

No there shouldnt. being able to visually see what an opponent is using is important in wvw/pvp. In fact a lot of this game is aimed at being able to tell if yourself or opponent is burning or poisoned or wielding a staff.

They need a solution, and i dont know what that is but letting you customise or hide the kits isnt it. Maybe if they make the kit weapons more recognisable they could do away with the backpacks altogether, but that’d take redesigning.

How’s this for a solution?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Replace-engineer-backpacks-with-belt-backs/first#post2262995

in Engineer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

How’s this for a solution?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Replace-engineer-backpacks-with-belt-backs/first#post2262995

Nice. Would make eng’s look more like batman .

They could also give them some minor effects to help others tell the difference between the multiple belt kits (as it would be a smaller tell for some like bomb and nade). Great idea overall though ^^.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

Evo, when you stop playing a character, because there is a constantly an ugly backpack on it, you want an option to switch it of, not to make the devs look “more recognisable”.
You really want SO many players simply to stop playing?

Besides(and no offense ment)…you SERIOUSLY kittening think that ANYONE can kittennig see or care in a 10v10 what the hell is on xy character ower there shooting kitten at you?
In 1v1 you know it anyway? Like you can calculate on it? That he is omg holding a FLAMETHROWER? What to do? I
To be serious…You want balance? You want opponents to be able to recognize what you are “using?”. Can you tell a rangers “offpet” from looking at him? Can you tell what the guardian has as “switch” weapon? Can you tell, that is a guardian or a warrior from first blink? Since they use the same kind of armors? (unless he is runing araund with a staff)
PS : You want balance ask the devs to give warriors a warrior only thing, and all can se its a warrior, and for all classes. And hopefully ask them to make it ULTRAUGLY, just that half the cummunity can leave the game.
No offense really…but i TOTALLY dont agree with you and wont stand down on this.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I don’t buy the “players need to see what we are using”. I do think that is a big focus in GW2, but it’s just unnecessary to put a giant ugly backpack on our back to accomplish this. It could easily be a buff just like Eles get with the icon of the kit we are currently in. I don’t even think that’s needed, but if that’s what needs to be done that’s great.

To give the benefit of the doubt I’ll assume the big problem is not with Flamethrower, but with kits like Grenades, Bombs, and maybe Tool Kit. What really cracks me up is that there are players out there who honestly claim that the backpack for any of those kits alerts them to what it is before any skills are used. That’s just nonsensical.

The backpacks aren’t telling players anything they don’t already know, and in most cases I’m willing to bet if you showed just the backpacks to random players over half of them couldn’t even identify which kit they go to.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Raestloz.7134

Raestloz.7134

I don’t buy the “players need to see what we are using”. I do think that is a big focus in GW2, but it’s just unnecessary to put a giant ugly backpack on our back to accomplish this. It could easily be a buff just like Eles get with the icon of the kit we are currently in. I don’t even think that’s needed, but if that’s what needs to be done that’s great.

To give the benefit of the doubt I’ll assume the big problem is not with Flamethrower, but with kits like Grenades, Bombs, and maybe Tool Kit. What really cracks me up is that there are players out there who honestly claim that the backpack for any of those kits alerts them to what it is before any skills are used. That’s just nonsensical.

The backpacks aren’t telling players anything they don’t already know, and in most cases I’m willing to bet if you showed just the backpacks to random players over half of them couldn’t even identify which kit they go to.

The real problems with Hobosacks (that’s their official term):

1) They’re too small for someone in front of you (you know, the guy you’re fighting for you life against) to see. Or even yourself, because you’re busy looking at the guy in front of you (the guy you’re fighting for your life against)

2) A large portion of them are covered by our body, which people are going to focus at

3) They already switch your weapon. yes, there is a huge difference between a rifle and a wrench, or a charrzooka and a flamethrower

4) You already know what kit you’re using merely by glancing at your skill bar. you’re more likely to confuse what kit you’re using by glancing at your backpack art, because the skill icons are much more informative: Flamethrower has fire image, Medkits has 3 identical bags, Toolkit has a wrench, Elixir Gun has a green futuristic gun, Grenade Kit has freaking grenades, and Bomb Kit has bomb kegs

5) You don’t try to see what backpack an engineer is using if there are other people to deal with, especially in a shader and post-processing festival

So, Hobosacks are seriously not needed, period.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

The same resonable things i would have wanted to say if i could have seen the screen from foaming rage.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I would like to see the kit-hobosacks done away with completely. Just get rid of them already!

We already have the default character-creation backpack. Ain’t that enough!?

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

There’s an easy way to fix hobo packs by just adding a toggle for it in the inventory beside, below, or above the show backpack checkbox. I can do it for helmet shoulders gloves and backslot, why not that eye sore of a kit sack? That would take little to no time to pull off and most of that time would be just making it UI friendly.

As for kit skinning, that should be easy provided the dev team ever puts any effort into it. Multiple living story events with new weapon skins, and multiple missed opportunities to just toss in one that reskins kits. Fused kits, Jade Kits, or even Halloween or Wintersday kits. Just requires the devs to put in a UI change that equips the chosen kit skin pack that reskins all kits in the inventory where other classes put a second weapon set.

So, ANet, seriously, listen up. Next event all you have to do is make a few more skins: Elixir Gun, Flamethrower, and Wrench. Grenades and Bombs are simple backslot reskins, and if I could make a suggestion, I’d go with belts and bandoleers, we all already have cool backpacks…as you should already know since you still have the receipt.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

Can this tread get any bigger just cause A-net replied in it -.-?

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Ironic that your condescension makes the thread larger. The interested parties thank you for the thread bump.

in Engineer

Posted by: Urnathok.4862

Urnathok.4862

Honestly? The idea of investing hours and hours into crafting a thing with purple text in the title is kind of repulsive to me. I don’t like crafting to begin with. Big ol’ headache. So the Engineers’ lack of reliance kits instead of weapons is appealing in itself.

Maybe some Legendary armor would be nice. Like a backpack that barfs lava or something.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kusumura.8642

Kusumura.8642

.. Alright. Well. I recently had enough saved up to purchase a Predator rifle. Which I did. I play only an Engineer, so having a Legendary (Which I’d been uhming and ahing about for a while) just seemed like.. the next step.

I already knew that I’d likely never be able to see the thing with the build I ran previously. I was a hardcore utility; I made everybody else’s lives easier, rather than just being a faceroll, “lolololol luk it died,” type of class.

Well.. since I actually wanted to get some use out of the rifle, or rather, have it be seen that I’m one of the few Engineers that actually has a Legendary (Yeah. There really aren’t any of them around, for all of the problems that have been mentioned by this thread) I decided to completely swap builds.

While my current build is great (Rifle on display constantly and FAR more DPS than any other class can manage to get their wildest dreams wrapped around; wooo!) it’s.. I’ve just lost the love I had for the class. Where before I would enjoy actually thinking about things and how to best serve my party, now I just run in, faceroll my rotation, and run out.

But I want to show that I’ve gone well and truly out of my way and dedicated myself to this class by showing off my Legendary. So that’s the way it is for now. At least, until I just can’t even begin to care, since I’ve never been a faceroller, and it’s really wearing down my patience with this game quite quickly.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

.. Alright. Well. I recently had enough saved up to purchase a Predator rifle. Which I did. I play only an Engineer, so having a Legendary (Which I’d been uhming and ahing about for a while) just seemed like.. the next step.

I already knew that I’d likely never be able to see the thing with the build I ran previously. I was a hardcore utility; I made everybody else’s lives easier, rather than just being a faceroll, “lolololol luk it died,” type of class.

Well.. since I actually wanted to get some use out of the rifle, or rather, have it be seen that I’m one of the few Engineers that actually has a Legendary (Yeah. There really aren’t any of them around, for all of the problems that have been mentioned by this thread) I decided to completely swap builds.

While my current build is great (Rifle on display constantly and FAR more DPS than any other class can manage to get their wildest dreams wrapped around; wooo!) it’s.. I’ve just lost the love I had for the class. Where before I would enjoy actually thinking about things and how to best serve my party, now I just run in, faceroll my rotation, and run out.

But I want to show that I’ve gone well and truly out of my way and dedicated myself to this class by showing off my Legendary. So that’s the way it is for now. At least, until I just can’t even begin to care, since I’ve never been a faceroller, and it’s really wearing down my patience with this game quite quickly.

You just summed up exactly my problem with this. Yeah I could easily rework my build to show off the actual weapon more, but that would undermine the core reason I love the class. I originally played a thief and got sick of being nothing but a DPS spam class, and fell in love with the engineer because of how adaptable and versatile I could be. And that versatility comes from kits. So playing an engineer without kits makes me wonder why I should bother with the engineer at all, I may as well go play a ranger or something. It really is disheartening that the core reason I play the class is also the reason why cosmetic progression (a huge selling point of this game to me) is virtually non-existent.

in Engineer

Shadowtech.5071

Ironic that your condescension makes the thread larger. The interested parties thank you for the thread bump.

it was already bumped when i replied in it so what did it matter?

Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: Kusumura.8642

Kusumura.8642

You just summed up exactly my problem with this. Yeah I could easily rework my build to show off the actual weapon more, but that would undermine the core reason I love the class. I originally played a thief and got sick of being nothing but a DPS spam class, and fell in love with the engineer because of how adaptable and versatile I could be. And that versatility comes from kits. So playing an engineer without kits makes me wonder why I should bother with the engineer at all, I may as well go play a ranger or something. It really is disheartening that the core reason I play the class is also the reason why cosmetic progression (a huge selling point of this game to me) is virtually non-existent.

Trust me when I say that if you actually love Engineer, you don’t want to go the way I did. I love my cosmetic upgrades, and I love bringing out as much utility and adoration for party-play that I can with any and every class I play, no matter what game it’s in.

But after getting all of this done, it’s like.. I don’t even remember why I play Engineer any more. It used to be fun, but now, I just don’t even want to log in. I’m over it. And all the other classes are pretty much faceroll-worthy, excepting MAYBE Mesmer, but they have nowhere near the adaptability of Engineer.

Heck, I used to be the best PvP and PvE Officer on Starsider back in Galaxies, just because I put half a second of thought behind whether or not it was the opportune moment to pop my CD’s! Red Figrin D’ann jacket and a Crusader MXIII carbine were my trademarks! And EVERYBODY recognised me for them. They knew when they heard the sound of my Carbine to start trying to think smart, or they’d start losing the battle real quick. Superb utility and awesomely distinctive cosmetics. Had the best of all worlds.

I do not play classes that require as little thought as it takes to button mash two or three things. Sure, you COULD do it that way, but you’re just missing out on so much more! And knowing what I’m missing out on, just because I want to show that I have a Legendary weapon… It’s really killing the whole experience for me.

(edited by Kusumura.8642)

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Your continued support of this thread is appreciated. On behalf of everyone interested in inflating this topic to ensure the devs know it’s important to us, I thank you.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Your continued support of this thread is appreciated. On behalf of everyone interested in inflating this topic to ensure the devs know it’s important to us, I thank you.

As if it matters; the devs seem to make it a habit to completely ignore that this sub-forum exists.

in Engineer

Shadowtech.5071

As if it matters; the devs seem to make it a habit to completely ignore that this sub-forum exists.

Exactly, if you want anything done post the problems in the Thief thread.

Maguuma

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Exactly, if you want anything done post the problems in the Thief thread.

This used to be in the general discussion thread, lasted there for months and actually got a dev response. Then some random mod decided to move it here to slowly die.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I have everything I need to make a Predator or a Quip and half. I know I won’t stand the awkward rifle animations (It was bearable for guns like the Ogre Blaster) and that it won’t matter anyways because I switch between 3 kits constantly.

Why not just make versions of these kits that are themed to the legendary you have on your main hand? Sure that’s alot of work but come on. If you don’t find any interest to adding a reason for engineers to get a legendary weapon then you wouldn’t find interest for… well as example, Thieves to get that blurry animation when they make dodge rolls.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

I wish they would put the glow ball nades back when using the predator. That looked kitten awesome. Maybe they could do more effects like that on the kits we use when we a legendary if the other route is too hard for them…

Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t play engineer but I see the problem. All the kits and stuff engineers have should be different when you equip a legendary weapon. Maybe some are already?

Also I personally wouldn’t even make a legendary for an engineer because:
The Predator – clearly made for warriors, it has a scope, engineers shoot from hip
The Flameseeker Prophecies – cool shield, but whoever made this had a guardian in mind
Quip – a joke

^This.

I’m going for a legendary now to just because i like the looks of the predator (+i want a completed login screen..)

only thin i realy hate is that the only full ranged thing engineers have are grenades and pistol (and not pistol/pistol).
And don’t tell us that the rifle is long range cause realy… 4/5 are close ranged. This is the “shotgun way” of using a rifle.

Cmon… Why give engineers a shotgun play style while giving warriors a sniper way of living? Warriors are Heavy armor, highest HP. And what do they get : Bam! Long ranged sniper setup and kiting possibility (knock back on 5, and cripple)

You would expect a warrior to go shotgun playstyle…

Only reason i hate going for the predator is that i’m using a sniper rifle as a shotgun. And only my 1 skill has the animation on it.
For the time i’m in my Rifle… Cause i tend to be a kit using engineer and i discuss, realy, i hate grenades. Used it for a long time and the only thing i can say is that the 1 button on my razer naga has weared of and my thumb has some weird looking button mark in it….

Agree totally. We should have the sniper style weapon. We should also have a much longer range with our gun and if they aren’t planning on fixing the jumpshot they should just remove it entirely so we can have a big shot that works well in a pinch.

And while they have engis under the knife, how about giving us back our heavy armor because they sure aren’t changing our traits to match those of our brother classes (adventurer classes ranger/thief) which are built for burst DPS unlike the engineer hybrid without a burst option in traits.

There is one reason I would be absolutely thrilled for engineers to be made a heavy armor class; the Juggernaut. The legendary hammer that alters your armor when you draw it. I love that weapon, but can’t go for it because I hate the two professions that can use it. Making the engineer a heavy would make us getting our hands on hammers, and by extension the Juggernaut, more likely because Arena Net wouldn’t have to go through the extra trouble of altering the legendary armor effects to work with every medium set in the game.

That said I really doubt that would happen. It’s just plain been too long now, and so many players of invested so much into our armor. What is Arena Net going to go? Issue across the board refunds? Because I really don’t think that every single engineer player out there would be happy to log in one day and find their character naked and unable to equip the armor they spent so much time, effort, gold, karma, and dungeon tokens to get.

They could actually issue across the board engineer karma refunds while finally and at long last make Runes/sigils available from Karma vendors which is the way it should be in the first place if we truly want to claim that they made it so that gear progression is 100% a non-issue and doesn’t require a gem-gold conversion.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: wondergod.2498

wondergod.2498

Any new word on this from Anet? I mean seriously. If they come out with a new way to get precursors, but still make them almost pointless for a good majority of engineers I’ll be extremely saddened. I’ve done 2 map completes and sold two legendaries already, I’d really like to make a few for myself now.

in Engineer

Aberrant.6749

From what it sounds like… they are thinking about solutions… aren’t actively working on implementing one. It may be a while.

Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

wondergod.2498

Yes but thier last post on the subject was 3 months ago.

Plus they are already talking about adding a new way to get precursors for legendaries, and new legendaries, but they haven’t made any mention in regards to the one class where legendary weapons are almost pointless.

For PvE I mean its pretty much endgame gear. Some of us have been saving up and would really like to use the money on one but why bother when I’ll only see it a small fraction of the time.

This topic needs to stay up top to remind them otherwise this will be last on the list of things when for us PvE’rs this really sucks….

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

It’s not like the legendaries we’ve got now are worth the effort for Engs: the Predator’s a high powered sniper’s rifle and we use it like a shot gun; and Quip is aptly named as it’s briefly humorous and quickly forgotten.

No doubt we’ll see some Eng love with the upcoming Legendaries. It would be really nice if they fixed our hobo sack problems the same time, but I’m not holding my breath.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

You’re doing a fine job. It won’t change anything, but have at it.

Given enough time a single glass of water can reshape the entire planet. Patience is a virtue I strive to master, and I’m nothing if not stubborn.

Yeah, I got that. lol

We are what we are.

Honestly I am getting to the point where I don’t really care about any engineer weapon. The only reason I want one at this stage is for a legendary, and there is only one legendary I really like and it just so happens that the engineer can’t use it. I’m told I should just wait and see if Arena Net adds more, but frankly they seem resistant to add weapons the engineer can actually use in any of their updates, and even when they do they are not themed in such a way as to look right.

Honestly at this point don’t we have enough magical swords? Can’t we get some tech themed weapons at some point? Give me something steampunk, please.

no steam punk. give me a kitten shotgun legendary that fires dragon’s breath on the blunderbuss.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

You’re doing a fine job. It won’t change anything, but have at it.

Given enough time a single glass of water can reshape the entire planet. Patience is a virtue I strive to master, and I’m nothing if not stubborn.

Yeah, I got that. lol

We are what we are.

Honestly I am getting to the point where I don’t really care about any engineer weapon. The only reason I want one at this stage is for a legendary, and there is only one legendary I really like and it just so happens that the engineer can’t use it. I’m told I should just wait and see if Arena Net adds more, but frankly they seem resistant to add weapons the engineer can actually use in any of their updates, and even when they do they are not themed in such a way as to look right.

Honestly at this point don’t we have enough magical swords? Can’t we get some tech themed weapons at some point? Give me something steampunk, please.

no steam punk. give me a kitten shotgun legendary that fires dragon’s breath on the blunderbuss.

Interestingly enough, after that post was made we got steampunk themed armor (with another on the way. Seriously have you previewed the new medium armor in the PvP locker? Like steampunk Iron Man meets Assassin’s Creed), and just recently steampunk weapons. I’m happy. Mostly. I just hate that the weapons come from the worse RNG scam yet (you have to get lucky TEN times instead of once for these skins).

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Want more techy and Asuran like weapons, personally. I am being selfish though.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: ionfone.5803

ionfone.5803

I think the easiest (possibly short-term) solution to this would be adding particle effects to each of the kits’ primary attacks in addition to some of their toolbelt skills based on the Legendary that’s currently in use. Lastly, keep certain effects like footsteps and auras active while toolkits are also active. It’s a bit odd, but due to guild member requests, I’ve found myself actively swapping out of my kits just to ‘show off’ my rifle. :/

Currently, the only kit ability my Predator affects is the Grenade Barrage skill (whether or not the rifle is currently active). Every other kit skill and toolbelt skill behaves the same regardless.

Any combination of the weapons, bags or skills themselves could be skinned for Legendary use.

For example, have the Predator be more fire themed by having lava oozing from the packs or leave trails/residual effects from their explosive-based skills. Maybe add a Char or dragon-themed effect to Flamethrower kit skills. Also make the footprints from the weapons a little more discernible and in line with some of the other legendary weapons.

Give Quip users different particle effects that fit the pistol’s theme as well – Maybe medic crosses or heart particles when an Elixer Gun is active (like the overhealed effect for the Medic class in a certain popular free-to-play FPS) or something completely silly – like flowers or confetti exploding from the Flamethrower, Bomb and Grenade kit abilities when used or kit-swapped to.

There are a lot of options available out there for the devs to decide on – there’s just a key problem to it all:

Most, if not all of these options require concept artists, model designers, VFX artists and QA testing to refine and implement. While oftentimes they’re busy working on new content for the Living Story and such, they’re also spending a decent amount of time working on other new content – like the Jade Weapon & Aetherized Weapon Skins. From the standpoint of an accounting manager or anyone in charge of finances, I might be more inclined to focus on new content that will help generate revenue (key sales and BLTP purchases), not content that already exists in-game and is ‘good enough’. When enough of the community have these legendaries and the new ones are introduced, ANet will likely have Engineer Legendary weapons, among others, higher on their priority list. At that time we might be fortunate to see some changes in kits when legendaries are equipped.

TL:DR:

Put effects and/or skins on kits that are unique for each engineer Legendary weapon.
ANet is a business. They have their priorities and limited man-power. Be patient.
Just be glad the rifle, pistol and shield all contribute their stats and sigils when kits are equipped now.
Also, future functionality for stat-swapping Legendaries on the fly is for the win.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Going on the one year mark and no progress has been made in regards to legendaries and hobo sacks on the Engie. And no hope in sight.

Quip isn’t bad on my engie, but you just don’t see it most of the time.

Frenzy, bugs out way too much and has no real special effects for the projectiles or anything. Really needs to be polished. And taking away MF will now take away my number one reason for underwater farming and probably render my Frenzy even more useless than it already was.

in Engineer

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

I love the idea of making kit backpacks resemble the legendary. The Predator has some nice pipework that periodically pulses with fire-y energy; it’d be awesome to have your EG, FT, grenade and bomb packs transformed into something similar.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sbuzz.3071

Sbuzz.3071

Kit skin legendaries would be a great idea for the engineer opposed to just rifle/pistol/shields.

Marf Corkscrew- Engineer-Tarnished Coast
Martok- Mesmer-Tarnished Coast
Taldonus- Mesmer- Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: sonja.4810

sonja.4810

honestly if they just made it so the weapons wouldnt dissapear when you equiped a kit I would be okay with that. (pistols still stowed on your hips, rifle slung on your back) it wouldn’t break anything with the kits and hopefully you could still have the footprint effect of your legendary at least.
or they could just copy the elementals attunement buff. as a asura engineer the backpack is too small to id from a distance anyways. Most of the time my backpiece glitches and shows through my engineer kit and makes what I have on even harder to id

in Engineer

wondergod.2498

Most, if not all of these options require concept artists, model designers, VFX artists and QA testing to refine and implement. While oftentimes they’re busy working on new content for the Living Story and such, they’re also spending a decent amount of time working on other new content – like the Jade Weapon & Aetherized Weapon Skins. From the standpoint of an accounting manager or anyone in charge of finances, I might be more inclined to focus on new content that will help generate revenue (key sales and BLTP purchases), not content that already exists in-game and is ‘good enough’. When enough of the community have these legendaries and the new ones are introduced, ANet will likely have Engineer Legendary weapons, among others, higher on their priority list. At that time we might be fortunate to see some changes in kits when legendaries are equipped.

Honestly I don’t see that as an excuse. They went through the trouble of updating some of the legendaries, they could’ve used that time to fix what was currently broken, AND NOW they are even talking about new legendaries without any mention of ours being changed to actually display when using kits.

We have been waiting patiently for a long time. Some of us were ready months ago. Everytime we mention we are a forgotten class, some dev reminds us that he has an Engy too and is sad, I feel like we are just getting lip service so we are sympathetic. It’s time we started screaming louder than the other classes. For the PvE fans its end game content that we still really can’t use.

in Engineer

Posted by: ionfone.5803

ionfone.5803

Honestly I don’t see that as an excuse. They went through the trouble of updating some of the legendaries, they could’ve used that time to fix what was currently broken, AND NOW they are even talking about new legendaries without any mention of ours being changed to actually display when using kits.

We have been waiting patiently for a long time. Some of us were ready months ago. Everytime we mention we are a forgotten class, some dev reminds us that he has an Engy too and is sad, I feel like we are just getting lip service so we are sympathetic. It’s time we started screaming louder than the other classes. For the PvE fans its end game content that we still really can’t use.

I didn’t say it was a good excuse. However, with the limited experience I’ve had in the game industry, I wouldn’t be surprised if something very similar to what I mentioned is occurring. Cost-analysis results in many cosmetic features never being implemented after sitting on the backburner or idea bucket for ages. The reason they revamped many legendaries was because the entire community was outspoken on how ’un’legendary the legendaries were. ANet responded with a video and dev diary in addition to graphical updates to passive and active animations on nearly all of the legendaries.

Heck, like you stated, there are devs at ANet that have mentioned this disappointing lack of flair without any concrete solutions suggested. Hopefully they’re still monitoring this thread and picking some of the excellent ideas up. Maybe remember to +1 comments you think would be fun if implemented?

Unless it gets a lot more screen-time from the community and attention by the devs, nothing will happen with it.

I’ll still continue to keep my fingers crossed that something is in the works with engineer kits in future Legendary updates. Hopefully they don’t make Legendary kits either – since that would limit the use of my Predator or progress on my Frenzy.

Speaking of which, kits could easily be modified to be Frenzy-friendly when underwater as well, but from the sound of it the weapon has enough issues without worrying about kits at the moment…

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Anyone else notice how lately it seems that Arena Net is trying to cash in on the engineer’s lack of visual identity? I mean the first two truly theme appropriate armor sets we get are locked in the gem store, and one of the only two weapon sets is buried deep in the depths of RNG-hell. Kind of upsetting, and almost enough to make me not buy the new magi-tech armor….its just….so…..cool….

in Engineer

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

Anyone else notice how lately it seems that Arena Net is trying to cash in on the engineer’s lack of visual identity? I mean the first two truly theme appropriate armor sets we get are locked in the gem store, and one of the only two weapon sets is buried deep in the depths of RNG-hell. Kind of upsetting, and almost enough to make me not buy the new magi-tech armor….its just….so…..cool….

I was lucky to get a ticket buying only 7 BL keys. I was in shock. I got the pistol right away as I’m going for Flameseeker. IMO it’s the best looking pistol in the game, and beats out Quip by a long shot… Wouldn’t have sold or traded it for the world.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Quip is a joke. Literally.

quip (kw p)
n.
1. A clever, witty remark often prompted by the occasion.
2. A clever, often sarcastic remark; a gibe. See Synonyms of joke.
3. A petty distinction or objection; a quibble.
4. Something curious or odd.
intr.v. quipped, quip•ping, quips
To make quips or a quip.

I guess it was pretty nice of Arena Net to give mesmers their own legendary weapon, theme appropriate only to them, but they could give other professions the same kindness.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jahiliyya.7095

Jahiliyya.7095

Quip is a joke. Literally.

I guess it was pretty nice of Arena Net to give mesmers their own legendary weapon, theme appropriate only to them, but they could give other professions the same kindness.

I have the Quip on my engi and I love it. Every time you go from a kit to the pistol, ribbons go flying. Because we can swap between kits faster than other professions can weapon swap this produces an effect unique to our profession. Stop QQing and enjoy the little things.

Commander Jam, The Republic [SPQR] on Sanctum of Rall
Jumble Akimbo
Jahiliyya Akimbo

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

I’d like to see customizable legendaries on top of kits resembling the legendary.

First off, backpacks that look slightly like the molten jetpack would match nicely with the predator. More tubes with fiery plasma, though. Anyway..

Personally, I prefered the Predator when it had purple bolts. We’re going to have the ability to choose stats on our legendaries in the future, what about a customizable color/effect option for different aspects of the legendary?

You can change the season resembling Kudzu, the electricity color of Bolt, the angle of sky from Sunrise, the blue to red ratio of Twilight. Just give players 2-3 options to click that’ll change the model of their weapon how they’d like others and themselves to see it. Blue flamed incinerator? How bout a Juggernaut that uses it’s own color scheme to cover you instead of your armor’s dye color.

This will let us stand out even more from others with the same Legendary, which is becoming more and more common.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

It’s something we’re absolutely aware of and want to address in the future, one of my main characters is an engineer so I feel ya on this one. My poor quaggan backpack is visible like 2% of the time I play as I kit swap, never mind my weapon skins.

We’re currently focusing our engineering (programmers, not guys with net guns) resources that could work on solutions to issues like kits/skins on major systems that address issues higher priority and wider reaching like lag in large battles, LFG, custom arenas, spectator mode and so on but this issue is absolutely on our radar.

As always, please post your ideas of what you’d like to see solution wise, we love to see the fun ideas y’all come up with too!

I personally would like to see a legendary back item that replaced the skins of all kit items that use a gun type weapon as well as the back piece. Or back items that just replaces the back piece anyway. Although I personally feel that a legendary should replace the skins of the back piece as well as the weapon. While normal back items could just replace the kit. I don’t know if this has been suggested before, but I will suggest it again if it hasn’t.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

Hey more new weapons and tons of them!…oh yeah thats right engineers dont get new fancy things…just the junk we earned when we were still wet behind the ears 8months ago

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I’d like to see….. just… something. Some type of progress on these issues.

Anniversary is fast approaching and nothing has been done.

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

Hey more new weapons and tons of them!…oh yeah thats right engineers dont get new fancy things…just the junk we earned when we were still wet behind the ears 8months ago

Eight months ago? You must have been one of those players who jumped in later. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying, the game released on August 28th, so some of us have been using the same crap for nearly a year now. If you count those who started with beta, then a lot longer. As for me I started with the headstart access.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

Eight months ago? You must have been one of those players who jumped in later. Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying, the game released on August 28th, so some of us have been using the same crap for nearly a year now. If you count those who started with beta, then a lot longer. As for me I started with the headstart access.

Yeah engineer was my 4th of 7 lvl 80s. Engineer has been my main since i made him and have absolutely loved the profession! But I will admit I do like dinking around with alts.

Which reminds I haven’t pleaded yet today.

looks to the heavens Please Anet! All this new beautiful art work (for the most part) and engineer still just looks like the little hobo we have been since character creation! Please allow me, as an Asuran engineer and master genius, to look like a respectable genius and not wield such dumb looking Charrgineer junky kits!

in Engineer

Posted by: Lyonidis.7134

Lyonidis.7134

I have had my eye on this thread for awhile, and I agree. We need a weapon that clearly defines that we are technological masters of mayhem and ingenuity.

Imagine the following scenario:

You’re sitting outside your favorite instance portal looking for a group to run dungeons/events with. You see a chat message advertising a group with only a single member slot left open. Perfect. You send a message to the group leader and ask to join the group. “Sure thing, meet us right outside the instance!”

You arrive at the entrance, but something is wrong. The party leader bursts out in misinformed anger: “We don’t need no stinkin’ engineers! Name something that you can do, that WE can’t do better!” Your heart races as you mentally predict that you are going to be booted in the next ten seconds unless you can justify your presence, fast.

You reach into your inventory and equip your LEGENDARY ENGINEER SHOTGUN.

“Wha… what is that thing? It looks amazing! Please, I beg of you, forgive me for my misinformed anger! Lead the way!”

You progress through the dungeon, beat all the bosses, something about earning the respect of your comrades via destroying everything, blah blah something about treasure blah blah blah…

Enough of that.

I have a basic idea for a Legendary weapon designed with engineers in mind. I am going to put my money on a shotgun being the most appropriate choice, as all of our weapons are fired on the hip, and our rifle skills reflect on the shotgun-like nature of our firearms.

So, I think having the following qualities on our legendary shotgun would be a wise idea:

-Would look like a shotgun. (EX: Pump action, drops shotgun shells when you fire it, whatever. Doesn’t have to be modern, could look like something out of late nineteenth, early twentieth century time period. Still, it has to be undoubtedly a shotgun.)

-Would sound like a shotgun. (EX: Rifle skills could leave a “kitten-CLAT” sound effect after firing, more of an explosive sounding gunshot effect, etc.)

-Would change the graphic/animation for weapon kits. (EX: Explosive effects from grenade/bomb kit become mini-mushroom clouds, flamethrower turns to a bright blue color and turns enemies killed by flame into a pile of ash, our elixir gun would lob miniature flasks at people, etc. All kits on our back look more high tech, compact, and neatly polished.) THIS IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT AND NON-NEGOTIABLE. Kit users have to have SOMETHING that makes their kit’s unique when they have this weapon equipped.

-OPTIONAL: Would change the graphics for turrets. (EX: Rifle turret turns into a Gatling-gun like device, rocket turret would shoot guided missiles [maybe that’s going a bit too far?], flame turret looks more menacing and shoots a blue flame, etc.)

-OPTIONAL: Would have a neat “walking” effect. (Neat little trail of smoke following you, leaves nuts and bolts wherever you step, this could really be anything.)

This idea of mine is far from perfect: it still doesn’t address what pistol users would get, for example, but I think it is a big step in the right direction for solving our little “problem.”

in Engineer

Arkham Creed.7358

-snip-

Honestly I don’t think engineers will be accepted into groups until Arena Net pulls their collective heads out of Nexon’s kitten and actually addresses a few of those turret bugs instead of pumping out an endless stream of RNG skins. That said, the legendary cosmetic thing still bugs me, and is certainly a barrier to motivating a lot of people to play the engineer. It is already one of the least played profession, and instead of seeing that and thinking they should do something about it Arena Net instead seems to take it as a license to ignore the profession.

in Engineer

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

As an engineer who get’s questioned daily for wielding The Flameseeker Prophecies I agree. Like it’s bad enough that ArenaNet doesn’t really care for fixing our endless problems, but the players harassing me for choosing a playstyle/skins because they know I already have a crap end of the stick as it is, is icing on the cake.