[Guide] WvWvW/Pve Shatter Cat 2014-04-23

in Mesmer

Posted by: Varzul.6897

Varzul.6897

So Ocicat is the 3.2 shatter cat hybrid spec dead then? whats the word??

in Mesmer

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

I dunno man, if you take the standard sw/sw + sw/pi phant build and just swap out one of those sets for staff you get a similar level of mobility unless you’re talking about mist 2.0 which uses focus for more swiftness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

@Varzul, No the hybrid is fantastic just cause it combine the preassure dmg form phantasm and burst/survival capabilitys from pure shatter setup. What I mean about Phantasm build not enought flexible i mean pure phantasm build (10-15-15-25-5 or simmilar). The 3.2 Shatter Cat Hybrid in my guide can adapt to the situation after need and I use it regulary.

@All Update.

New video, post patch, had to see if we realy was as horrible as some ppl claim.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: JollyApple.6849

JollyApple.6849

You sir, always makes mesmer control seems easy and awesome!

Just a curious question, so is your Mist 2.0 your fave setup in WvW?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cell.6821

Cell.6821

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before. But what is the playstyle for the:

3.2 Shatter Cat Phantasm Hybrid build
Gear and Traits: http://tinyurl.com/Shatter-Cat-Mist-2-0-updated

Do I stay with S/S wherever possible and switch to Staff for defensive purposes? Or do I keep changing weapons to pump as many illusions out? Do I use all Shatter skills on cooldown?

in Mesmer

Posted by: gorma.3725

gorma.3725

Playing Shatter cat Mist, which target would you choose first fighting 1vs2 against mesmer + ele?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Cell, alternate between offensive mode and defensive/preasure. This is odne by range juking and phantasm generation. I swap to s/s when I go for offensive, deal burst and then swap to staff for defensive. Alot of ppl die in 1ts cykle, tougher targets take sevaral cykles when you drain their defensive cd.s

The on/off is around 8 seconds. Burst, then swap for 8 sec preassure etc, then assult.

This is a old video, 4 month old and buildand gear is the first shatter cat original build. Still. go to the fight starting at 1:30~ and start clock offensive /denfensive pattern. You soon se its ~8-10 sec between the offensives.

@Gorma, In strat you dont know alot about how they build, tanky etc. I genraly try preasure both targets in a 1 vs 2, as soon I notice some of them take more dmg than the other its my target of choice as it will deal more dmg if i leav it alone + go down easier focused. Also, ANY fight in a 1 vs 2 mesmer ele combo I would move the battle to a place with as many terrain obsicles as possible.

/Osicat

(edited by Osicat.4139)

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Phantasm vs shatter aside, I don’t actually see you using shatters a huge amount. In fact, shatters do less damage than phantasms most of the time (even more true without the 20% dmg trait in domination for mist 2.0). Have you ever thought about dropping the illusion line down to the 5 trait minor? You could do a lot with those points.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Shatters are more reliable than phantasms. I also do believe his burst while shattering is much higher than a single attack of a phantasm. Also, the playstyle is very different. Last but not least, he’d have to rename “shattercat” to “phantasmkittie” or “phantakitten”. ^^

Of course phantasm builds can be very strong as well; but that’s a matter of personal preference and also of what you want to do with this build.

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

To put my questions into perspective – I do a lot of spvp/tpvp/hotjoins/whatever they’re called nowadays but not much wvw. I’m just now getting into wvw so it’s interesting to relearn everything, find out what works etc. For example I haven’t used staff much before, and I’ve always played a glass cannon. Various prominent wvw mesmers on this forum are showing me I may need to adapt my playstyle to succeed in wvw thanks for the help btw Osi. ps I have a couple of cats similar to osicats in my house (bengals)!

(edited by fadeaway.2807)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DKZombie.8012

DKZombie.8012

Osi, cant you ask pls why you think that pure phantasm build (10/30/0/25/5) dont effective in WwW in solo roam/small group, and very effective in cPvP? I came to the opposite opinion.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Dkzombie, this as phantams spec are at its max effectivity when you got 3 phantasms up and can controll a peace of land, almst every attack is single target aswell. In wvwvw in a roaming team you sudenly need to change position long distances, a shatter spec can be at max effectivity in a few seconds instant as we jump out of a portal or change plane. There is no rampup of the burst.

Also if you fight a nice 2 vs 2 and suddenly jumped and it turns to a 4 vs 2 the fight get alot more chaotic, especialy with target drips, phantasm hit stuff left and right while you kittenter focus one target but your aoe everything else.

Same reason a phantasm build is better in spvp the lesser ppl you fight, its close to unbeatebal in duels 1 vs 1 in spvp, but in a mass 10 vs 10 spvp game its alot less effecive.

This is just my personal oppinion thu, feel free to dissagree.

@Fadeaway, cheers, love bengals aswell I got a big kitten Maine kitten called the General at home.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raiz.2478

Raiz.2478

Hi Osicat,

I have two questions for you:

1.) what build do you think contributes best in Zerg fighting or a 20 v 20 GvG? I was using glamour, but after the nerf I’m not sure if its the most viable.

2.) I’ve also been experimenting with the mist spec and found that I enjoy sword/torch + staff (I still use sword sword for dueling if I find I need additional burst). I was curious if you have tried torch and what your experience was. It seems to lack the condition removal of focus, and the iMage is kind of underwhelming, but I’ve noticed with the added stealth I don’t get as many conditions to begin with, and the prestige can also be preloaded so that you deal added burning damage on your standard burst. I’ve been trying it out in 1vX and have been having really good results.

Oh and I also posted a while back about a 10/20/10/0/30 mist hybrid and you asked me to post about what my experience was. I liked the added shatter damage, but the lower CDs on staff are just too valuable to give up.

(edited by Raiz.2478)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Raiz, for 20 vs 20 when not playing glamour I in the past favoured shatter cat heavy and stay in the mele train. For zerg vs zerg when not play with guildes I took the role of thef/rogue and helped em pick of weak players.

Now to your question thu, what to fill the role of the glamour mesmers range dps for group fights, I do experementing with a spec for this, its a direct dmg GS spec and I so far like it alot, It also have good group fighting utilitys, using feedback/reflections + mass blind enemy teams. I will give more nfo later on this.

Gs is a wery good range weapon.

For torch I have tested it, it was a weapon of choice in my first shatter condition build, I think it has potensial but the image need to be looked at. If it instead of cast nerfed confusion could cast a 1 sec stun or a 2 sec immobelise it would fit perfect into several different builds. Not al our offhands need to do major dmg to be usefull, more interesting if they let the tortch be a utility/controll weapon, the fact mage cast confusion show this light been Anets idea but as confusion is weak as it look now better give image a controll attack.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Estarioll.5781

Estarioll.5781

what to fill the role of the glamour mesmers range dps for group fights, I do experementing with a spec for this, its a direct dmg GS spec and I so far like it alot, It also have good group fighting utilitys, using feedback/reflections + mass blind enemy teams. I will give more nfo later on this.

i would VERY much like to know your opinion and build that uses GS primarily.
I love GS even though i’m using Mist build now, and the main problem i encountered while using GS was choice of second weapon set. Couldn’t decide between staff or sword/x, and the traits to choose with it… shatter spec, dps spec, so many choices!

My main idea here being that i was looking for a stabile build that i’d use with GS for longer periods of time (preferably permanently), cause i don’t like to reset traits all the time if i don’t have to.

Tipsy Dipsy, plank scrubber of The Bloody Pirates [YARR]
~Gandara~

(edited by Estarioll.5781)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Floox.9720

Floox.9720

@Raiz, for 20 vs 20 when not playing glamour I in the past favoured shatter cat heavy and stay in the mele train. For zerg vs zerg when not play with guildes I took the role of thef/rogue and helped em pick of weak players.

Now to your question thu, what to fill the role of the glamour mesmers range dps for group fights, I do experementing with a spec for this, its a direct dmg GS spec and I so far like it alot, It also have good group fighting utilitys, using feedback/reflections + mass blind enemy teams. I will give more nfo later on this.

For torch I have tested it, it was a weapon of choice in my first shatter condition build, I think it has potensial but the image need to be looked at. If it instead of cast nerfed confusion could cast a 1 sec stun or a 2 sec immobelise it would fit perfect into several different builds. Not al our offhands need to do major dmg to be usefull, more interesting if they let the tortch be a utility/controll weapon, the fact mage cast confusion show this light been Anets idea but as confusion is weak as it look now better give image a controll attack.

/Osicat

Please post that build! I’ve been waiting for a GS build that is also good for utility!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Moinomutante.1938

Moinomutante.1938

Hi osicat, i use to run confusion build, full rabid, staff/sceptre focus, but now after last nerf, and i wanna change, and i like alot the GS, do you think that any of your build is good to adapt to GS, i mostly run with guildies or 3 Friends in WvWvW, can you give me some advice? Another thing, what you think about Anet monthly almost change stuff that broke builds, they wanna for US to spend Money?? :-D
I ask in another post if i could do something diferent with my gear, prec/tough/cond dmg, but i think i cant do… Any thoughts that help me saving Gold :-S
Thanks

in Mesmer

JollyApple.6849

Hi Osicat!

Just wondering, if you are doing solo roam in wvw, what setup do you use? Shatter Cat Heavy, Shatter Cat Hybrid or the Shatter Cat Mist?

Im thorn in between Hybrid and Mist. Hybrid’s +20 trait in domination seems tempting but Mist’s +20 on chaos is also useful. Perhaps use Mist then change focus to Sword for added burst?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Moinomutante, I have a new build incomming, hardtetsing it atm and so fair its pure love for group fighting. Its a support dps build with GS and some more, superb dmg, tagging and survival. Also extremly focused on be good for the group (no solo glory build, we already have Mist for that). I release more info in short.

The condi gear, save it. Im sure Anet in the balancing cykle will some day buff our condition builds to viable lvls compared to direct dmg.

@JollyApple, This is how I use the builds atm:

Solo roaming / roaming with pugs: Mist
Roaming with tanky guild group & Pve instances: Phantasm hybrid
Roaming with mele team or with glascannons:*Heavy**Mist*
Spvp: *Original**Mist*
Tpvp:*Heavy**Hybrid*

Note thu, most of my builds dont need you to change gear (its inteded as its kitten stressfull to respec/regear for everything you doing, just change a few triats, utilitys and weps in most cases) This will be the case for the new build incomming aswell. It will fill a hole in my Shatter Cat builds, bigger group fights 10-15+

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Update@***

The text verison is not done, will add more info and traits soon but here is first look at the Shatter cat Dmg&Support group spec.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

You sure do love that illusions line :P
Surprised to see you give up your beloved staff, but I suppose it was necessary for the wvw/aoe stuff.

Not totally convinced about dazzling glamours… with only 1 glam util (maybe 2 if you swap for null field) every 30 seconds.. that’s not a huge amount of blinds.

Thanks again for all your work.

(edited by fadeaway.2807)

in Mesmer

Posted by: creny.6273

creny.6273

Glad to see a build with gs on it, im a fan of roaming solo or on small groups and i know gs is kinda meh on it, so im kinda wondering if losing prec for more thoughness would do the trick im thinking on an spec like 10/20/10/0/30 or use 0/20/20/0/30 for even more thoughness but less power or if ur shatter cat dmg&support spec work with it as a solo roamer with my stats
my stats atm with 10/20/10/0/30 are
1945 power
1578 prec
1573 thoughness
16362 hp
85% crit damage
for lost of prec i can use master oil and get a few to boost that, anyway would like to know if there are more specs for gs that use shatter on it since is main weapon i have and like and cuz rly all my slots are legendary so i will not transmute till i know upgrade to ascended work so im stuck with soldiers weapons for now :/, anyway thanks for the hard work im looking forward to test that spec on wvw.

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Osikitty… I have watched your latest video a few times now and closely watched your playstyle.
I noticed your illusions do not live very long – you shatter or they die quickly. Especially the warden! Also they are often far away from you or your group. This means you use less of the regeneration boon from phantasms.
I also notice mostly when you use temporal curtain you use into the void soon after, using less of the reflect.

With this in mind I question your 20 in inspiration. Is it really that useful to you?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Fadeaway, The phantasms will always die fast or get shattered, the bigger the fight the faster they die so the regeneration thrait is more a little bonus if it proc. The phantasm i want 1 attack out of but as they in mele range often a fast shatter can in many cases be more beneficial. This go for al shatter spec in group combat.

The curtain reflection is a flexebility option for the build. in the fights on the vid we in al cases are agressors towards a team we wery early force down so there is no reason to let the curtain be up for long times, better get a sec or 2 reflect and then a knockdown, but the option is for a siege or more static situation to drop the curtan to defen the team for a loonger time. Same if we retreatig.

So What do we gain from inspiration that I realy want in the build?

20% less cd on 2 glamour skills, Feedback and Nullfield/portal. 20% less cd on temporal curtan for knockdown speed boost, mass cripple and situational reflection. Iwarden(phantasm) 20% less cd. 200 vitality (opening for knights gear instead of valkyre), retaliation on phantasms.

Most of this is group utilitys and making the build more beneficial for group play, if the build had been a smal team setup there is alot options who is more beneficial but when the lagg kicks in and the whole screen suddenly turns red at a battle in bay the option to kick in 2 glamours, mass blind and keep reflection up the the best you can do for your team.

The blinds trait is not the strongerst in smal encounters but when your team get ruched by a organiced team of 15-20 players 2-3 players spamming blind fields and glamours lift a HUGE amount of preassure, this is extra notable if you GvG some in 10 vs 10 or 15 vs 15.

I guess the video dont realy show this part but it was more made to precent the ability setup, not the teamplay in it self.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

JollyApple.6849

Hey Osi,

Another question, looking into Shatter Cat Mist 2.0’s gear specifically on the accessories part. What if I still cant afford or complete the ascend accessories? What alternate can you recommend?

Thanks

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@JollyApple, A setup mix of knight x 2 accessories and 2 zerker rings and a valkyre nec is a good start untill you can start replace with chavalier and zerker + 18 vitality.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Thanks as always for comments, Osicat

in Mesmer

JollyApple.6849

@Osicat, thanks for the response dude!

N0t sure if this was already posted in the thread, but i tried to find it but no luck. What food do you use for mist 2.0?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zen.4678

Zen.4678

@Osi

Been quite awhile since I ran this, but love the Mist 2.0 spec. I’m actually using it when I command and it works quite well to keep me alive even in zerg fights. Very good work on that spec. I dunno about the ascended knight earring, not sure if knights or the of the knight would be better, little less toughness for a little more precision, but I still run two cavalier rings as opposed to one and a zerk/valk hybrid. Just got enough commendations to get my third (spent one on rabid for glamour ) ascended earring but debating whether to get the knight or of the knight one. As a commander probably the higher toughness would be good, but I don’t know. Still debating. Any thoughts?

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@JollyApple, roaming 10% crit dmg 100 prec, dueling 40% less condition uptime 70 vitality.

@Zen, I so understand why you love to command in te Mist spec, as you say, the Mist mesmer is wery hard to kill. I prefere the earring as it work for al builds, if you want to go heavy setup with a oh sword and 2 chavalier rings you suddenly almost a tank, if yo want to go 2 zerker rings for instances you still have a nice amount of passive survival etc. But as said, this is just my oppinion everyone is free to experement as mutch as you want with the build and noting make me more happy than when somone change stuff and fin a better way to do things.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hookerjack.4798

Hookerjack.4798

Hi Osi I think this question was probably asked a few times before. But is Shatter Cat Mist an appropriate spec for PVE dungeons or fractals. I know you will probably lose out a bit on DPS as compared to the Shatter Cat Hybrid but it would be better support from the staff. DPS is also still sustainable and decent right?

in Mesmer

Posted by: knackyknave.7469

knackyknave.7469

How do Shatter Mesmers hold up against Rangers? Specifically Beast Master hybrids. It’s been a long time since I was thoroughly beaten in a 1v1.

I made about post about this on the Mesmer board but since I enjoy a Shatter build I thought I’d ask you guys.

These Rangers were slippery, could stay ranged, and their pet was surprisingly painful. These were my main problems:

1. It’s hard to get close to them. Lightning Reflexes, Quick Short, and Rampage as One allow them to keep range and RaO prevents pulls.
  2. Obviously their ranged damage is superior to my staff.
  3. Reflects did surprisingly little damage. I laid down a few Wardens, used Curtain for reflect, and Mirror heals but they didn’t do too much damage to themselves.
  4. Pet burst damage. I typically ignore pets and just burst down the player but that wasn’t working. I think the player kept swapping pets making it difficult to kill them.

What are your tactics against good Rangers?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zen.4678

Zen.4678

@Hookerjack

I have no problem running Mist in dungeons or most fractals. I’m not at the high level fractals, but it works fairly well in 1-29.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Hookerjack, as Zen said, just change the 20% cd on blink to 3 % less dmg / clone, have a gs in bags and change to berzerker grear.

@Knackykanve, In 1 vs 1 wvwvw as I guess we discussing here I had duel alot of this players. Generaly its about neglect the effectivity of their ranged attacks and force em to go mele. Reflection shield, staff decoy and massinvis let you put a steady preassure and avoid most incomming dmg. If they super tanky they cant range kill you and will go mele where you can preasure harder. If they berzerkers you can kill the pets, first 1 then the other. whne both down preassure the ranger to max. Also dont use focus, you need the sword block from oh sword for the extra dmg.

In wvwvw bigger fights focus ther targets first, then a few ppl gank up on the ranger.

In 1 vs 1 spvp arenas use phantasm spec, its the dominating effetivity spec for any class in here. In spvp not 1 vs 1 focus other ppl first then mark the ranger for kill.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Osicat, do you have any footage of you dueling against good phantasm mesmers? both direct damage and condition damage spec’d?

To me, the phantasm build has a very low skill floor to be effective … and then we see what someone like SevenMirror can do with it to establish the high ceiling that is a staple of the Mesmer class.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Sebrent, As it look now you see the phantasm mesmers mainly in 1 vs 1 arenas in spvp. This is for 2 reaosns,

1: They are close to unbeatebal especialy after fortressed up aka have 3 phantasm up, and the new on cd.

2:This is the only enviorment they this effective. As soon the fight turns to bigger numbers the focus skills of the phantams get less and less effective. This is the reason you not often see them in wvwvw.

I Think that equaly skilled there phantams mesmer win in close to 90-100% of the cases.

This make the spec WERY hard for the developers to balance. Wth intruduction of spectators and custom arenas we now have a spvp 1 vs 1 arena population. In this its get more and more obious that phatasms mesmes are in the top tier of effectivity. But still how do devs balance this without make the spec who is rather uneffective in other parts of the game even less effective? And phantasms are used by the shatter specces aswell, how do you balance 1 vs 1 phantams effectivity without weaken the rather balanced shatter builds? Time will show, mabye Anet dont even thik there is a need to balance phantasm in 1 sv 1 as thats not a inteded part of the game. Join some 3 vs 3 arenas kittenter and feel the joy!

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: DKZombie.8012

DKZombie.8012

Hi Osi. I disagree with you, that phantsm build very effective on cPvP, and dont effective on WwW, everything depends on the tasks.
Hm, If we talk about cPvP, of corse phantasm mesmer very strong 1v1, and pugs killing in hotjoin, but it has no actual role in the tournaments, as not able to survive a long time on the point against several opponents like guard(only if leave circle). Also it can not deal massive burst damage like elementalist/thief or shatter mesmer, cose phantasms need time(but summary dps amazing). For example try to fight 3v3 against 3 elementalists or 2 ele/1 necr in phantasm build.
If we are talking about a WwW:
1.)My modification of this phantasm build allows me to fine solo gang and dominate in 1 vs 1 battles(hello any thiefs and bunker elems) much more efficiently than you do in your videos. Yes of course, I can not explode at the same time 5-6 people like you with some luck, but I have a good 2-3 people.
2.) If it is an organized 20+ people raid, in my opinion, both the build(pure shatter and phantasm) completely ineffective, because first of all to any class at a raid requires survivability, team support/enemy debuf, and only than damage. For the 6 months of tests and play against Vizunah/Desolation/Elona blobs I created perfectly suited to the tasks of my guild raid build, but before last patch i use sometimes condition build, but it’s dead after 50% confusion nerf:(.

P.S. Sry for my hard russian eanglish^).

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Hey Osikitty =)
I notice your latest group/support build is the first one where you have given up your beloved staff.
Was this a tough decision?
Would you ever drop the staff from your small group and roaming builds? Or is it just that good?

in Mesmer

Posted by: hinigashi.1078

hinigashi.1078

Hello Osi and Team mesmer,

Been reading this epic post and gotten about 10 pages in so far and watched almost all your videos. Kudos to you bud!

Been trying to figure out shattercat for the last couple days and I must be missing something. I’m rather new to the mesmer, so that would definitely make sense. =)

I’ve been practicing on the PVP dummies in the Heart of the Mists. The problem for me is that a full shatter vs light target for example gives MW x 4 at 1k-1.2k with crits, then follow up with Sword 2 hits for about 3k with crits. Therefore I get a burst of about 7-8k when everything crits and about 5-6k normally.

Seems good, but not super powerful. I’m not seeing these 15-18k bursts that people have been talking about. I have my crit chance at 44% and crit damage at 50%, and I understand full WvW gear would up my crit damage to around 100%. Even so, I have a hard time seeing how to get to the burst dmg ppl are describing. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

(edited by hinigashi.1078)

in Mesmer

Raiz.2478

Hey Osicat and Mesmer Community,

Since the confusion nerf I’ve been trying to come up with a new viable GvG or Zerg build and have been tossing around a few ideas. I really want to like the new build Osicat posted as it is pretty awesome, but unfortunately I’ve just never gotten around to liking GS or Focus (personal preference). I’m posting hoping to get some suggestions/feedback to help theory craft a new build.

I don’t know if anyone has tried to make a build like this or not (if it exists, my apologies to the creator). I got the idea from a variety of sources and it plays like a modified Shatter Cat Mist/block build. What I wanted was to make a build that was more of a front line fighter with a lot of relatively reliable active defense. What I came up with is a mesh between a shatter and block build. The build is really meant to be part of a zerg. To survive, deal as much damage as possible, and provide support to the group.

Build Prototype:

0/20/20/0/30

Dueling: III (or IV), X
Chaos: III, X
Illusion: IV, VI, XI

*The Dueling III or IV traits depends on how I think the fight will go…If I think I’ll be getting hit a lot and have a lot of allies healing, I’ll go for retaliation stacking, if I think I’m going to play more on the sidelines with occasional bursts I’ll take IV for the CDs and precision.

Weps: Staff + sword/torch

Armor: Mix of Berzerker, Valk, Knight, & cavalier (just use shatter cat mist spec armor)
Runes: Superior Runes of the Guardian x 6

Sigil: Staff-Generosity, Sword- Accuracy, Torch-Fire (stack 25 stacks of precision then switch to these) *Still playing with sigils to be honest.

Slot Skills: Mimic (the only must use skill for this build), Blink (I prefer it, but its not always needed), The last one (or two if you didn’t take blink) go for helping the group (Null field, Feedback, Veil, Illusion of Life depending on what is needed)

*In PUG zergs I’ll take Mimic, blink, decoy for the added stealth or extra clone generation

Elite: Time Warp or Mass Invis (depending on situation)

Play-Style:

-Provides support to the main “zerg-ball” with skills like veil, feedback, null field, illusion of life (been playing around with this one possibly for GvG).

-Zerg bursts:

1.) Standard Shatter Burst w/ The Prestige:

Preload “The Prestige” (gives you about 1.4-1.8k AoE burn damage + blast finisher), leap + blurred frenzy + MW (preferably with clones up…possible if you come into the main fight from the side), dodge roll + CoF.

2.) Mimic Burst: It’s worth noting with the traits that mimic is on 20s CD (it’s a manipulation skill

Either catch a projectile (can be your own from Winds of Chaos or the bounce from torch phantasm) then rush into the zerg (can also use blink while channeling mimic) if you catch one projectile you will trigger 4 seconds of blocking/reflect. This will stack retaliation if traited for it (but not activate it), reflect all projectiles, and deal 1sec of burning damage per melee to anyone that hits you.

The second option if you cant catch a projectile from safety is to just hit chaos armor for protection while in the zerg and then hit mimic….odds are you will hit a projectile nearly immediately…but if not the protection and 2.7-2.8k toughness helps a lot.

Other than that you can play it just like a shatter build, picking off wounded targets with blink + leap + BF. Or you can use support skills to help your team.

Perks:

-4 sec on demand immunity (Illusionary persona + 3 clones)

-2 sec on demand immunity from Blurred Frenzy

-4 second (semi) on demand block/reflect/burning damage with mimic every 20 sec

-100% retaliation uptime (if traited)

-1-3 cloaking skills (mass invis, decoy, prestige)

-protection on high up time (reduced staff CD/fields (null and feedback if used)/minor traits in Chaos line

-All of the annoy mobility that phase retreat and blink have to offer

The Link:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/mesmer/?4.0|6.1g.h19|c.1g.h1.f.1g.h17|1g.7q.1n.7q.1n.7q.1g.7q.1g.7q.1p.7q|2v.0.2v.0.2s.0.2s.0.1n.0.2v.0|0.k3a.k3a.0.u64b|3t.1|33.3f.3d.3b.3q|e

That’s all I have….It’s still in the works of theory crafting and would love some constructive feedback. Unfortunately I don’t have video capture software (maybe I’ll get it soon-ish) so no videos …..I apologize.

in Mesmer

Raiz.2478

Should also noted that you can swap portal into the mix if you want to optimize the trolling potential

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@DkZombie, Feel free to dissagree I always stress that my oppinions in my only and not the absolute truth, if you founda way to use phantasm sec in a mobile way in wvwvw gratulations, in my oppinion phantasm spec is strong in wvwvw but unpractical as its not felxible enought. It simply take o long time to move the power and as soon the numbers fluctate its strength fade. Shatter are more effective in fast bursts on smal or big groups in my oppinion, and alot more moble spec. In wvwvw romaing mobility is everything.

@Fadeaway, Staff is what keep me alive while roaming, in the dmg/support spec I drop my perosnla survival and let the mass of ppl around me keep me alive plus more defensive stats. For solo/smal team roaming staff is ALOT more mobile and thats is core of effective roaming. It was not the dmg loss that hit D/D eles so hard for roaming by the latest patch, it was the mobility loss. As it look now, a cd lowered staff mesmer can blink every 8 sec, ad normal blink + some skilled use of terrain and sword leap + stealth and you practicly impossible to catch.

@Hikittenshi, make sure you use daze shatter firts if you specced into domination, this add big % dmg. What make the shatter burst is teh combination of crit dmg and % bonus dmg So you need to stack % dmg skills, voulnebility, 3% dmg/clone, 20% dmg on mindwrack. Then stack % crit dmg on top of this. 50% is spvp stats, still you should get alot more than 1,2k mw crit. Consider your crit dmg in wvwvw can be up to 105% without drop to much survival corectly geared.

Here see the shatter tutorial:

@Raiz, of to work soon, will look deeper into your post as its big and cover several areas. Dont want to give you a short, kk tnx bi answer.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

Thank you osicat, 3:5 build works great for me. Can you show some videos with more zerg type battles? I’m not sure if I have asked this before on this thread. Also, would sword/focus still be viable in larger zergs? Or would scepter/focus be more viable.

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

(edited by CrazyDuck.4610)

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Thank you as always for your detailed replies =)

in Mesmer

Osicat.4139

@Update@***

New video, its group combat with guild in Mist 2.0 specc, some bigger scale than the normal 1 vs x you use to se tyhe spec in

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dess.4391

Dess.4391

Hey Osi, i just posted that on grimms post and now its your turn….

After watching both of your vids im deing to see you both have a duel! When you guys are going to give as an epic Osi Vs Grimm vid??
Should i start it own post to get ppl asking for it??

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Osi, I’ve been running this build for a week or so now and I’m really struggling with any sort of tank build. I just can’t seem to get them down, and they just outlast me.

Tanky Rangers and other Mesmers are a big problem. It seems like my burst does nothing or my blurred frenzy misses and i’m stuck with everything on cool down. I want to start recording my game play to review but clearly I’m doing something wrong. Any advice for these opponents?

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

fadeaway.2807

Fantastic stuff as always Osi. Your whole guild seem really on the ball.
I notice after you use mind wrack you often pop cry of frustration as well even though you have no illusions up. Is this basically for the illusionary persona – something (1 hit) is better than nothing?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lanny.6987

Lanny.6987

Osicat,

I know I’m not sharing any secrets here but your sense of space and tempo are unreal.

In this last vid I saw you get thumped by knockback shield off downed guardians several times. I know you portal stomp on occasion to avoid the big “I’m stomping, light me up” effect. Have you played around with begin-stomp/phase-retreat/blink for a similar effect?

in Mesmer

Posted by: PandaBear.7510

PandaBear.7510

Osi, many thanks for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive guide. Of all your builds, I liked the Mist 2.0 the best since it seemed to be the most balanced and mobile. I’ve been running the build for a about a week and I must say it’s a ton of fun. My favorite profession is D/D ele and I really didn’t think i’d like any other class anywhere near as much. But this definitely comes in at a very close second.

Just FYI for anyone like myself who wants to try this out but doesn’t have the laurels for all ascended trinkets (or doesn’t want to run temple of Balthazar to get Cavalier trinkets), I’ll post my modified build below. The are two down-sides to my version of Osi’s build. The first being that it does a bit less outright damage (Power/Attack). The second, it does about 18% less critical damage.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/mef7yw5

I also use another version of this build (again without ascended trinkets) that does more outright damage, has a higher crit chance and has more vitality. This build does13% less crit damage when compared to Osi’s build. Downsides to this build is that since it uses divinity runes in stead of air you miss out of the 1-2 seconds of extra swiftness (which, I personally don’t mind) and more importantly, the 5 secs of swiftness on heal. And it’s really expensive. The divinity runes are about 9 gold a piece. I pretty much only use this build in PvE (mostly dungeons) when I know I wont’ need to be so dependent on being mobile and I have the support of my group. But i’ve ran it in WvW without any issues. The extra vitality has saved me a bunch of times.

link: http://tinyurl.com/l2dzk3j