List of Incorrect Tooltips

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

So today I was listening to the Mesmerized podcast and heard Pyro, Kylia, and Grimms talking about Phantasmal Haste. I’ve been playing the Mesmer for a long time and I had no idea until then that Phantasmal Haste actually effects the attack rate of the phantasms as opposed to the cooldown of the skills.

So I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of skills and traits that are either misleading, incorrect, or even have some characteristic that isn’t obvious so that new Mesmers can better understand their skills.

Incorrect/Vague Tooltips:

• Null Field removes boons/conditions one at a time in pulses every second, not all at once.
  • Mimic will absorb the first ranged projectile and then reflect all projectiles while blocking melee attacks for the remainder of the channel. If the skill absorbs a projectile 2 seconds into the channel, there will be 2 seconds of block remaining.
  • Phantasmal Disenchanter uses a bouncing attack that removes 2 boons/conditions per hit.
  • Signet of Illusions provides the health boost in a pulse every 10 seconds. This means it’s possible to summon a phantasm and not have it receive the health for the first 9-10 seconds.
  • Confounding Suggestions stuns the enemy, but it replaces the daze. If you apply a 2 second daze, there is a 50% chance the enemy will be stunned for 1 second and not dazed at all.
  • Phantasmal Haste decreases the time between the skill uses of your phantasms, it does not decrease the cooldown to cast phantasms. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasmal_Haste
  • All glamour skills show the duration as if you took the 20% longer duration trait.
  • Staff #4, upon activation, will instantly give you protection, but cannot reapply it when struck like the other boons listed on the tooltip.
  • Phantasmal defender’s defense is a skill applied continuously by the phantasm when he get in melee range. It is not a passive effect always up, there is a gap between spawn and effect.
  • Veil is an ethereal combo field, not a light one.
  • Phantasmal Warden and Phantasmal Berserker are both whirl finishers.
  • Phantasmal Swordsman is a leap finisher on yourself, and it’s attack is a leap finisher on itself.

Good to know:

• Illusionary Leap – You can swap/teleport even after shattering the illusion is shattered.
  • Illusionary Swordsman – The swordsman evades attacks while in his attack animation
  • Blocks from the Scepter and Sword do a large amount of damage if they block an attack.
  • Shatters are instant cast, meaning you can activate them even while in another skill’s animation, this includes stomping an enemy. This same rule applies for all instant skills (Staff #2, mantras, etc).
  • Portal range is roughly from the center of your minimap to the left or right side, providing the minimap is fully zoomed in, and you have the horizontal size of it at maximum.
  • “When they are killed” traits trigger when a clone is dies or when you summon a 4th clone, causing one to die, NOT when you shatter.
  • Using a shatter (without Illusionary Persona) with no illusions will cause a 4 second recharge instead.
  • Shattering via Illusionary Persona will activate Illusionary Retribution (all shatters cause confusion), but will not activate Shattered Strength or Confusing Cry (shattering gives a stack of might per illusion).
  • Into the Void (focus #4 followup) destroy the curtain effect, but not the combo field. You can still get retaliation/condition cleanse from it.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. If I’ve forgotten something, or if something I said is inaccurate please let me know and I’ll correct it.

Hopefully this helps everyone, I feel like I learn something new about the Mesmer every day!

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

(edited by Zumi.6384)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Nice!

• Illusionary Riposte (and I think the scepter counter too) only does damage in melee range, even if you block a ranged attack. AND even though it spawns a clone, its not affected by Illusionist’s Celerity.
  • Scepter counter animation is faster than sword’s.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Nice!

• Illusionary Riposte (and I think the scepter counter too) only does damage in melee range, even if you block a ranged attack. AND even though it spawns a clone, its not affected by Illusionist’s Celerity.
  • Scepter counter animation is faster than sword’s.

Thanks for the input! I’m pretty sure the scepter block does damage at range, but I’m not sure, so I just left it out for now.

And I had no idea the Scepter counter animation was faster! Proving my point that there’s always more to learn

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Most of the things you listed under “Good to Know” are what I would call quirks. I wouldn’t call them bugs as they are working as intended.

The Phantasmal Warden on Temporal Curtain is a combo. Anyone doing a whirl attack on a light field will cause that same effect.

Dude, if you don’t know about combos, I SERIOUSLY suggest you look into it. Mesmers have quite a few that we can do on our own. Phase Retreat out of any Ethereal Field (Feedback, Chaos Storm, Null Field and maybe Time Warp but that doesn’t work for me) gives you Chaos Armor. Any blast finisher in the field will give all surrounding allies Chaos Armor. My latest favorite is Illusionary Leap over a Temporal Curtain. It’s a bit tricky but, when done right, it gives me and my clone a few seconds of retaliation. Doing a swap afterwards will give even more as long as I and the clone are on opposing sides of the curtain.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my 2 cents. I would encourage everyone to try crazy things, just to see if they work. I’m learning that blink works in quite a few places where you wouldn’t think it would. One such example is, in Lions Arch on the far east side, there’s a cave that has a jumping puzzle. You can blink from the bridge into the entrance of that cave, even though there’s a gap between them.

When the Fire Shaman uses an attack where he spins around and shoots firebolts, you can use feedback and reflect every single shot! This also works on Kholer when he’s charging up his aoe grapple attack. The great thing reflecting that is, each grapple counts as a CC so it can easily eat through defiant, knock him down and prevent his following spin attack.

When you do have chaos armor up, sometimes it’s better to let yourself get hit. Weak, rapid fire shots can severely cripple an attacker while giving you a buffet of boons!

(edited by Crossplay.2067)

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Oh yeah, I know all about combo fields and finishers, I just thought that the Curtain/Warden was one of the lesser known ones. I love the Leap/Curtain combo too, especially in Pyro’s retal build. You can get tons of retaliation from that if done right.

The ones under “Good to Know” are exactly that, little things that a beginning/intermediate Mesmer might not be aware of. They’re not intended to be bugs, as I saved those for the first section.

Appreciate the feedback though.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nevhie.6079

Nevhie.6079

• Illusionary Riposte only does damage in melee range, even if you block a ranged attack. Also, even though it spawns a clone, it’s not affected by Illusionist’s Celerity.

It’s 900 range. It can block ranged atk as long ur enemy within 900range. If ur enemy is more than 900 range = an “Out of Range” Notif will appear and no clone will summoned. The counter can be happen even if ur enemy attack from back but sometimes will force ur Camera rotation into direction of ur enemy who u countered.

Nevhíe
GreatSword Mesmer
Jade Quarry, Strike Force [SF]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Incorrect/Vague Tooltips

• After absorbing the first ranged attack, mimic will reflect all additional projectiles, and block anything else
  • There is no internal cooldown on confusing enchantments, per player or otherwise. If someone feels the need to dodge back and forth over a veil, they’ll get many stacks of confusion.
  • Phantasmal haste lowers the cooldown of the attacks that the phantasms themselves use. A complete list of the affects of this trait can be found here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasmal_Haste

Good to Know

• The scepter and sword blocks were recently updated to show the range on the damage return, and these are now accurate
  • Portal range is roughly from the center of your minimap to the left or right side, providing the minimap is fully zoomed in, and you have the horizontal size of it at maximum.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Incorrect/Vague Tooltips

• After absorbing the first ranged attack, mimic will reflect all additional projectiles, and block anything else
  • There is no internal cooldown on confusing enchantments, per player or otherwise. If someone feels the need to dodge back and forth over a veil, they’ll get many stacks of confusion.
  • Phantasmal haste lowers the cooldown of the attacks that the phantasms themselves use. A complete list of the affects of this trait can be found here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phantasmal_Haste

Good to Know

• The scepter and sword blocks were recently updated to show the range on the damage return, and these are now accurate

Thanks, I meant reflect on Mimic…oops.

I swear there was an internal cooldown placed in the confusion nerf patch, but maybe I’m thinking of another trait.

Thanks for the link, I don’t understand how it doesn’t effect the swordsman though

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

Incorrect/Vague Tooltips

Good to Know

Thanks, I meant reflect on Mimic…oops.

I swear there was an internal cooldown placed in the confusion nerf patch, but maybe I’m thinking of another trait.

Thanks for the link, I don’t understand how it doesn’t effect the swordsman though

The cooldown was placed on the trait blinding befuddlement.

The numbers in the link are precisely correct. The trait simply has no effect on the swordsman and mariner.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Here’s another that always seems to shock people. You don’t need a target to use Feedback. Without one, it will spawn 900 units directly in front of you. I find it very useful for defending gates in WvW. Just be careful as, anything reflected off of it is considered your attack. If you’re confused or everyone in the attacking party has retaliation, it will get ugly fast!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Baa.4582

Baa.4582

• Confounding Suggestions stuns the enemy, but does not effect the daze. If you apply a 2 second daze, there is a 50% chance the enemy will be stunned for 1 second and dazed for 2 seconds, meaning after the stun ends he is still dazed for 1 second.

I’d like to see a video of this. From my experience the stun completely replaces the daze and you end up with 1s less CC (albeit a stronger one).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

Let’s see…

• Scepter #1 does not cause confusion.
  • Duelist’s Discipline also gives the iDuelist a 100% projectile finisher chance. For example, if there is an etheral field, and the iDuelist uses his attack when this trait is active, each hit will cause confusion.
  • All glamour skills show the duration as if you took the 20% longer duration trait.
  • Using a shatter (without Illusionary Persona) with no illusions will cause a 4 second recharge instead.
  • Shattering via Illusionary Persona will activate Illusionary Retribution (all shatters cause confusion), but will not activate Shattered Strength (shattering gives a stack of might per illusion).
  • Staff #4, upon activation, will instantly give you protection.
  • Staff #2 is instant cast, and so it can be used during stuns, knockdowns, immobilize, etc. However, you will still be under the effects of the stun/knockdown/immobilize, just in a different location.

Those are all that I can think of for now. Sorry for not separating them into categories.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

(edited by Richard Nixon.6573)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kensei.1495

Kensei.1495

Can someone tell me how signet of illusion works?i never understood it

hue

in Mesmer

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I believe after the illusion is summon, the signet pulses and grant 2x more health.

Tooltip that need fixing:

choas armor grants protection upon activation only.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I believe after the illusion is summon, the signet pulses and grant 2x more health.

Tooltip that need fixing:

choas armor grants protection upon activation only.

It’s actually a 3x modifier. We tested this in our most recent podcast.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Under misleading tooltips :

• Phantasmal defender’s defense is a skill applied continuously by the phantasm when he get in melee range. It is not a passive effect always up, there is a gap between spawn and effect.
  • Veil is an ethereal combo field, not a light one.

Under good to know :

• Swap (sword #2 followup) is a stun break (the tooltip state so, but it is often overlooked).
  • Confusing Cry won’t trigger without illusion, like Shattered Strength.
  • Into the Void (focus #4 followup) destroy the curtain effect, but not the combo field. You can still get retaliation/condition cleanse from it.
  • If the phantasmal defender has retaliation, it will trigger when he takes damage from protecting allies, not just from being directly hit.
  • Decoy isn’t stealth. It has exactly the same effect, but is another status, and as such doesn’t stack with stealth sources.
  • “When they are killed” clone traits do also trigger on target death (it auto kills the clones).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Faelis.1463

Faelis.1463

• Confounding Suggestions stuns the enemy, but does not effect the daze. If you apply a 2 second daze, there is a 50% chance the enemy will be stunned for 1 second and dazed for 2 seconds, meaning after the stun ends he is still dazed for 1 second.

I’d like to see a video of this. From my experience the stun completely replaces the daze and you end up with 1s less CC (albeit a stronger one).

I changed my build 1 month ago to one more Daze-oriented, so I tested this (not re-tested since then, may had changed in a recent patch).

Confounding Suggestions has a 50% chance to totally replace a daze by a 1 second stun. The daze will never be applied, so it will not trigger traits like Dazzling.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Incorrect/Vague Tooltips:

it decreases the recharge of phantasms’ skill’s.
The apostrophes are missing, but most would still not understand it. It’s correctly written.

Illusion 5 says “decreases illusion summoning skills recharge”.

Good to know:

• If you drop a Temporal Curtain under a Phantasmal Warden it will AoE remove boons from foes and conditions from allies

actually, it’s not “good to know”, but a wrong tool tip.
iBerserker and iWarden are “Whirl finisher”.

Good to know:

• You can activate shatters even while in another skill’s animation, this includes stomping an enemy

So you can do with mantras and most instant skills. Not a feature of Shatters.

(edited by Nretep.2564)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Also, wrong tooltips:

• Phantasmal Defender has a -50% damage absorption bubble. It works for allies and other illusions, not just the summoning Mesmer.
  • Mass Invisibility is highly misleading because it has a target limit, despite it’s “Mass”-name and very large PBAE radius.
  • Phantasmal Swordsman is a personal leap finisher on summon (you get the effect), in addition the Phantasm uses leap finishers itself.

Idea: We need secondary tooltips on summoning abilities which state the details of the summoned clone/phantasm, IMO.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Let’s see…

• Duelist’s Discipline also gives the iDuelist a 100% projectile finisher chance. For example, if there is an etheral field, and the iDuelist uses his attack when this trait is active, each hit will cause confusion.

Are you sure about this one? I’ve never seen/tested this, but if it’s true that’s pretty cool!

I changed my build 1 month ago to one more Daze-oriented, so I tested this (not re-tested since then, may had changed in a recent patch).
Confounding Suggestions has a 50% chance to totally replace a daze by a 1 second stun. The daze will never be applied, so it will not trigger traits like Dazzling.

Thank you for the correction/confirmation. I had read somewhere a few weeks back the other way around, but I don’t think they fully tested it.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Updated. Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think this could be an awesome resource for a lot of people.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

• Illusionary Riposte only does damage in melee range, even if you block a ranged attack. Also, even though it spawns a clone, it’s not affected by Illusionist’s Celerity.

It’s 900 range. It can block ranged atk as long ur enemy within 900range. If ur enemy is more than 900 range = an “Out of Range” Notif will appear and no clone will summoned. The counter can be happen even if ur enemy attack from back but sometimes will force ur Camera rotation into direction of ur enemy who u countered.

Ah, someone should update the wiki then.. It says melee range.

Ohh, these might be worth mentioning.

• You can Phase Retreat (Staff 2) forward when the targetted enemy is facing your back. Works really well with Blink to break the hell out of sticky situations.
  • Staff works really well with Mantras, Phase Retreat and Chaos Armor (w/ Protection) can be used mid-channel (along with other instants like Blink), and Chaos Storm offers great mantra-charging protection.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Wow, I really want to hear what their definition of “20%” is.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

Phantasmal defender’s defense is a skill applied continuously by the phantasm when he get in melee range.

What exactly does that mean, do I have to stand right next to make it actually work?

PS: you generally have to differentiate wrong tooltips, bugs, and balancing decisions (which includes a tooltip that hasn’t been updated). If the differences in phantasmal haste are because of balancing issues, then this is probably the worst way to deal with it as it’s totally inconsistent. Unfortunately, pretty straight forward mechanics are often inconsistently implemented in GW2, i.e. there are too many (unexpected) exceptions.

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Wow, I really want to hear what their definition of “20%” is.

Well, this trait has been updated once. The cooldown starts when the phantasm starts attacking. So far so good, but it created some unintended results.
The duration of it’s attack was so long that, if you reduced its CD, it was almost permanently attacking. The devs changed the trait then to the current version.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

I actually wondered all the time how hard it is to actually fix a tooltip.
Isn’t that just rewriting some text in most cases?

/confused

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

They said they’re working on a system where tooltips are automatically generated from actual skill numbers. That won’t fix many of the problems though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

They said they’re working on a system where tooltips are automatically generated from actual skill numbers. That won’t fix many of the problems though.

i heard that any change takes around 4 weeks to be approve regardless on how small

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Phantasmal defender’s defense is a skill applied continuously by the phantasm when he get in melee range.

What exactly does that mean, do I have to stand right next to make it actually work?

When the Defender attacks an enemy, it radiates the Defense buff in a fairly wide AoE. You’ll see the icon like how you would for Chaos Armor.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Faelis.1463

Faelis.1463

Thank you for the correction/confirmation. I had read somewhere a few weeks back the other way around, but I don’t think they fully tested it.

I just re-tested it to be sure and a daze wich is converted into a stun by Confounding Suggestion actually does trigger Dazzling. But a 1,3 sec daze (6th superior rune of the mesmer) is still converted to a 1 sec stun.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

When the Defender attacks an enemy, it radiates the Defense buff in a fairly wide AoE. You’ll see the icon like how you would for Chaos Armor.

So when you avoid the defender so he cannot attack or dodge the attack you won’t be protected after the 5 seconds have passed, meaning that it’s only really useful in PvE where mobs don’t move a lot?

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

So when you avoid the defender so he cannot attack or dodge the attack you won’t be protected after the 5 seconds have passed, meaning that it’s only really useful in PvE where mobs don’t move a lot?

Nah, he uses the defense skill not matter what. It’s not exactly coupled to his normal attack, he just doesn’t use it immediately upon spawning. You can hear it go, it’s a very distinctive sound.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

From what I gathered, the defender works a bit like the soothing mist of the elementalist. It is a passive, autorefreshing boost, affecting avery ally in the area. It is not a boon, cannot be interrupted nor stripped/stealed.
Think of it as an elementalist switching to water, then staying in it, when getting in melee range.

The important part here being it isn’t active until the phantasm get in this mele range, which can puzzle people.