[OMFG] BotM Contest - Dec'13 *final results*

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Hi, everyone.

Thanks Natsu for your announcement.

Well I’m here to conclude this contest. Sorry I have been deep in work lately so couldn’t spend time update this thread.

Anyway, I managed to catch up with Alissah, and with great regret, she has been busy with RL stuff and couldn’t spend much time testing builds, as a result, she felt that she couldn’t give a proper evaluation to the builds. I’d like to apologize on her behalf.

Therefore, the final score will be based on two ORB members Pyro and Natsu only. And the result is as follow:
- Chaos’ Shatterlock 25
- Ross Biddle’s The Holy Hell (Advanced Scout) 17
- StickerHappy’s Phantasmic Interruptions 24
- Dekk’s Merry Mantras 11

And the winner goes to … Chaos’s Shatterlock build.
Congratulations to Chaos Archangel and Warlord of Chaos

(@Winners: I will catch up with you guys in-game to arrange the rewards, dont forget that).

Last but not least, a big THANK YOU to everyone who supported this event to make it successful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Skcamow, as far as I could tell, was unable to fill in properly, and neither have scores/summaries/thoughts about the builds. (I assume)

Sorry to hear we didn’t have full representation. I have personally taken a break from the game for a few weeks, but before I did I let a few folks know to ping me if they needed help with the contest.

Congrats to the winner! It was mighty close this time around, great competition for some good builds. On to the next one!

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dekk.3459

Dekk.3459

Congratulations to the winners!

I hadn’t noticed this during the contest but thought it was worth pointing out. 3 of 4 builds were interrupt/lockdown…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Awesome! Ty guys! Thanks to everyone for all the votes and support and it’s really cool to see the change in perspective lockdown builds have been getting recently. Half a year ago no one was really talking about them, and now it’s something most Mesmers are familiar with. I didn’t wanna comment before all the votes were counted, but I was DYING to just throw out 1000 ‘thank yous’ to each person who voted and gave their reasons for voting. Its always really exciting/encouraging to read someone else’s review of the build, even if its brief.

I honestly didn’t think Shatterlock would win, I thought it’d be too difficult to pick up to win such a contest but I was happily proven wrong (and apparently so was other-Chaos in thinking an easy build would win this contest. Shatterlock is definitely one of the hardest =P). It’s an amazing, unbelievably gratifying feeling to see someone else running a build I produced, but for it to win the BoTM contest is just.. Wow! Just yesterday I ran into someone running Shatterlock in duels. This guy had to be one of the best users of the build I’ve seen thus far, and was extremely talented at interrupting heals and key skills (like phantasm summons). Playing lockdown vs lockdown is always fun, sort of like a chess match of interrupts and counters and I had a great time versus this guy.

I’ve got to mention though that I feel like StickerHappy’s Phantasmic Interruptions is every bit as good as // Shatterlock, and easier to use to boot I recommended it to my friend who’s only used Mesmer for about two days (started him on a basic Phantasm build for a day then moved him to PhantInterrupt) and while I was taking another look at the build I said to myself “Wow, this build is really solid and looks hella fun.” Skcamow and StickerHappy did some really good work with this build, and I learned the importance of condition duration in a lockdown build by studying it. My friend LOVES the build and is still playing it, citing that he enjoys that it’s both demanding and forgiving: requiring precise timing to be really effective but still having a lot of tools to be useful incase that messes up. He now tests himself by trying to get flawless wins in duels with it.

Again, thanks guys and big thanks to keenlam for organizing this!

(Btw Warlord of Chaos has devised a more WvW-friendly variant of shatterlock, will be posted soon!)

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Thank you Chaos. And congratulations on the win! Ive got to say, are you going to revise the build because Chaos Storm/CS will get fixed on Jan 21?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Nope. I was running it before the CS bug, and only anticipated the daze duration buff.

I’m happy that the patch dropped, because now people who were only running the build to abuse the glitch are either going to learn to use it properly or step to another build. (Also, the build runs marvelously with Greatsword anyways)

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

Ah I See. Btw, how does the your sword phant hit for 6k or 5.8k on the Mind Crush vid? This was the question i was going to ask you OL haha. I find it really amazing. I used your Mind Crush the other day but I’ve never see my phant do that much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: GreenLentil.3927

GreenLentil.3927

Congrats to Chaos, the participants and everyone who voted! It was fun trying all of these builds and seeing their pros/cons. I love this contest because each build, regardless of winning or loosing introduces a new concept or popularizes an existing one, giving mesmers of every skill level a greater pool to choose/think about when creating their build. I definitely learned a lot about the class from trying them. This contest feels like it needs a party (at least a gathering on a server’s LA with a box of fun :P)

Zoran Fern – Asura/Mesmer
Iojanthian [DAZE][XIII][POOH/WOOO]
Ominous Reflections

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Ok,
Here are some screenshots to showcase the rewards the winner gets to everyone.
Congratulations again to Chaos Archangel and Warlord of Chaos on their win.

Both got some frost dye kit and Chaos particularly got his flute.
@ Chaos: you are expected to play some songs for the guild from time to time now.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

StickerHappy.8052

We should’ve had like a loser’s bracket haha. jkjk.

It was a fun contest, we should do it again.

Off tropic: What does the flute do? I’m curious.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Off tropic: What does the flute do? I’m curious.

Its a musical instrument like Bell and Horn.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Cuz this!

So much this! Ty keenlam.