[OMFG] BotM Contest (Sept) *FINAL RESULTS*

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Hi guys

I create this thread to showcase my ideas on one of our planned awesome events as suggested in this thread: Build of the Month Contest or BotM for short.

Hopefully, this thread can be used later to kickstart the event itself when we have everything in order.

This is a guild event, so you need to be a member of [OMFG] guild to participate. If you haven’t already, join us at this thread.

Warning: the following posts will be walls of text so please bare with me.

Edited: The contest is now ongoing. Below is the scoreboard to show you how the participating builds are doing.

SCOREBOARD (updated Oct 7th 2013)

Stage 1 results finalized
———————————————————————————————————
Sensotix Bountiful Interruption TPvP/WvW Build
Link to build thread
Current score: +15/-0
ORB approval: YES
Final score: 15
Kaamau Evasive Signets WvW Build
Link to build thread
Current score: +12/-0
Final score: 12
Natsu Blackwater Build
Link to build thread
Current score: +14/-0
Final score: 14
Stage 2 results finalized
Sensotix Bountiful Interruption TPvP/WvW Build
Link to build thread
Current score: 17
ORB test results: 6+8+3.5
Final score: 34.5
Kaamau Evasive Signets WvW Build
Link to build thread
Current score: 13
ORB test results: 7+4+2
Final score: 26
Natsu Blackwater Build
Link to build thread
Current score: 22
ORB test results: 9+7+1.5
Final score: 39.5
Related News

- 7th/9/2013: September BotM Contest officially commences.
- 10th/9/2013: Deadline for build submissions extends to Sunday 15th/09/2013.
- 15th/9/2013: Build registration for the contest is now closed.
- 17th/9/2013: Stage 1 of the contest ends. Stage 2 now commences.
- 1st/10/2013: Contest extends the end day to 7th/10/2013.
- 7th/10/2013: Contest is now concluded, the winner is Natsu Blackwater Build.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

EVENT STRUCTURE

Time frame:
The contest will be conducted in sync with the LS patch cycle. So for this particular September month, the contest will start on patch day Sep 3rd and conclude 4 weeks after on Oct 1st.

It will consist of 2 stages:
- Stage 1: the first 2 weeks will test if the registered builds are viable or not, then
- Stage 2: the last 2 weeks the viable builds will compete for the best build of the month award.

Application window:
Builds can be submitted as early as at start of the contest each month on patch day. The deadline for submissions is 1 week after the patch day to make sure all the builds participating in the contest have at least 1 week to improve/refine until the end of Stage 1.
So for this month, the application deadline is on 10th September, next Tuesday.

Eligibility:
In order to promote innovative builds with new & fresh ideas, the contest will focus on recent builds rather than good old school builds that might have been very well established and tested with time.

Thus only builds conceived and posted after the 25/06/2013 patch (aka the infamous IC nerf/ PU buff patch) are eligible for the contest. You can check this thread to see the patch history of mesmer class.

Scoring system:
When a build is submitted, it will be briefly reviewed to make sure it’s an original build with a unique flavour, and based on well-defined ideas and purposes. If so, the build is then allowed to enter the contest and get registered on the scoreboard.

Stage 1:
Throughout Stage 1, each registered build can be upvoted or downvoted. Each vote will net the build +1 or -1 point.
Around the end of Stage 1, the finalized version of the build will be evaluated by the Review Board to see if the build is overall viable or not. If the build earns at least 2 approvals from two members of the Review Board, it is deemed viable and will gain +10 pts.
In order to proceed to the next stage, the build needs to have more positive pts then negative pts.
Example:

Build A gets upvoted 7 times, downvoted 10 times -> The score is +7/-10, meaning the build is losing. However, after reviewed by the Board, it gets approved, so the score is now changed to +17/-10 -> Build A is viable and can proceed to Stage 2.

Note that once approved, the finalized version of the build cannot be modified any further. If the build comes with different variations, the best one should be picked to use for Stage 2.

Stage 2:
Throughout Stage 2, each build still earns points by popularity votes, except this time there will be no downvote, just upvote. Each vote, again, nets +1 pt for the build.
Around the end of the Stage 2, the Board will give out tests for the builds to perform and will rank them accordingly on a rating scale from 1 to 10. There are 3 members on the Official Review Board, so each build should go through 3 different tests. The tests will be arranged through in-game communication between the participants and the Board and their details are to be revealed by the Board members accordingly.

This means, the build can earn up to 30 pts from 3 members of the Board; that is equivalent to 30 popularity votes.

The best build of the month will be selected based on the total points (including the upvote points from Stage 1). The build with the highest score will win and be awarded.
Example:

Build A gets upvoted 7 times in Stage 1 and approved by the Board for Stage 2. In stage 2, it continues to get upvoted 9 times. Its scores with the 3 tests are 7/5/8, respectively. So its total score is: 7+10+9+7+5+8 = 46 pts.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

THE PARTICIPANTS

A person comes up with a new build is called an originator.

If an originator wants to enter the contest, they need to:
- /POST: Create a thread on forum to show as many details as possible about the build (just like they usually do already). Please follow this guide on how to present your build on forum.
- /ARRANGE: Arrange with a tester (someone with Tester rank in the guild) in-game to be your tester partner and together form a group of two. The group will work solely on the build throughout the whole contest to improve, refine, and test the build to its fullest potential, etc.
- /SUBMIT: Submit your build, preferably in this following format in this thread:

Build name:
Originator name:
Tester partner name:
Link to build thread:

- /REGISTER: Get your build reviewed and accepted by the Review Board to be fully registered in the contest.

What the participating team CAN do:
- Modify the build (as long as the changes are not radical and the build stays true to its original idea, design, and purpose) UNTIL it gets approved by the Board for its viability OR Stage 1 ends on patch day, whichever comes first.
- Continue posting to inform the forum about the changes in your build, provide tips and tricks, upload videos, tutorials, etc. The idea is to continually improve the build effectiveness AND popularity so you get more upvotes, and thus higher positive score.
- Communicate in-game with fellow players to inform and get feedback from whoever (including the Board members as well) decides to test out your build.

What the participating team CANNOT do:
- Modify the finalized version of the build when it’s already approved.
- Upvote or downvote any build
- Influence fellow players’(including the Board members) opinions through mischievous means (bribery, intimidation, etc.)

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

THE OFFICIAL REVIEW BOARD (or THE ORB for short)

Official members for this month (September):
- Pyroatheist
- Fay
- Chaos Archangel

Reserved members for next month (October):
- Natsu Dragneel
- Warlord of Chaos

The ORB will be consisting of THREE people so that collectively they should be knowledgeable enough in all 3 modes of the game (PvE, WvW, and sPvP) to provide fair judgement on any submitted build.

The ORB will act to (in order of time):
1) REVIEW the build when it’s submitted to make sure it’s an original build and clearly belongs to the originator.
To approve the validity of a build for the contest, each member of the ORB should reply to the build thread like the following example:

The build is valid to enter BotM contest #[OMFG]-BotM.

or something along that line.

The hashtag is there just for my convenience when I search through posts. If you can use it, that’d be much appreciated.

For any build to be valid, it will need the approval from ALL three members of the ORB.
When the ORB deems that a build is NOT original, they should quote and link to the original build which they think the submitted build is based on.

2) JUDGE the finalized version of each build around the end of Stage 1 to see if the build is viable. For a build to be evaluated as viable and thus gain +10 pts, it will need to be approved by at least TWO members of the ORB. The ORB also needs to make sure the finalized version is not radically different from what the build was when it’s first submitted. Slight modifications can be made, but the build needs to stay true to its original idea, design and purpose.
The ORB will notify the participants if they notice any inappropriate change to the build. In this case, the ORB and the participants will work together to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. In the worst scenario, the ORB has the power to disqualify the build completely.
The ORB should post on the build thread to openly express their opinions on the build. Something along the line.

I think this build is viable #[OMFG]-BotM.

3) around the end of Stage 2, CHALLENGE each build by giving specific tests and then RANK its performance on a scale of 10. Each ORB member should come up with a different test and the test should be relevant to what the build was designed to do.
The ORB and the participants should communicate in-game to exchange information, feedback regarding to the build, and arrange the tests in Stage 2.
In the end, the ORB should openly post the test results in the build thread. I will gather the results over there and transfer to this thread as soon as they’re released to keep the scoreboard updated.

What the ORB members CANNOT do:
- Participate in the contest: either through submitting their own builds or working with originators as tester partners
- Upvote or downvote any build
- Practice favoritism in any form
- Influence fellow players’(including other Board members) opinions through mischievous means (bribery, intimidation, etc.)

THE CROWD

The rest of guild members who are not on the ORB or participating will form the CROWD.
As part of the CROWD, you can cast your vote on any build, simply post your vote in the following format IN THIS THREAD (again, for my convenience):

+1 to {insert originator name here}’s {insert build name here}
Reason: {insert your logically sound reason here}

+1 can be replaced with -1 if you’re downvoting the build. You cannot do that once the build has been finalized at the end of Stage 1.
When you cast your vote you need to provide a logically sound reason, especially when you downvote a build. Things like: this build sucks, this build ain’t worth crap, etc. will definitely result in your vote does not count.

I’d like to use my signature build as an example:

+1 to keenlam’s Clone Spammer Build
Reason: solid condition dmg without heavily relying on confusion

-1 to keenlam’s Clone Spammer Build
Reason: lack of condition removal

In summary, the following rules are applied for casting votes:
- You need to be a guild member and part of the Crowd by definition
- Your vote needs to have a logically sound reason
- You can only have one vote for each build. If you change your opinion because the build is modified and post your vote again, only the latest vote will count.
- You cannot change your vote once the build has been finalized at the end of Stage 1.
- You cannot downvote in Stage 2.
- And of course, again, you must not influence fellow players’ (including the ORB members) opinions through mischievous means (bribery, intimidation, etc.)

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

REWARDS

Ok, this is the most exciting section I suppose.

Given limited funding comes only from me at the moment, I can only offer the winning team, both the originator and the tester partner, each will receive:

a gem store item valued from minimum 600 gems to maximum 1000 gems

Of course if there are other philanthropists want to up the rewards, then feel free to discuss with me either here in this thread or in-game. However, I personally feel that the reward should be kept at a healthy level of in-game value so that:
- It’s not too low, still providing enough incentive for participants to try their best to win.
- But it’s not too high either, so it won’t distract the participants from the true spirit of the contest: to prove your build and contribute to the community by sharing your knowledge. It’s not about personal profit when you decide to participate in the contest, please keep that in mind.

600-1000 gems are about 40-ish gold, equivalent to 2 days of intensive farming, tops. So you have other ways to get this gold than entering BotM Contest if you so desire.

Currently, the exact reward has not been decided. I originally went with “Permanent Super Explosive Finisher” but by the end of this month, this item might just go out of fashion, or you guys might already have them.

So I think it’s best that we agree upon a value range (like my suggested 600-1000 gems /each person) and wait until the end of the contest and see what Anet has in store for us by then with the next monthly patch.

A couple of things about the reward system:

- Since this is the first time we run this event, we need to stick with something simple and straightforward, something that we can easily implement, and if we want to, we can develop further in the future. Therefore, there will be only reward in the form of BotM Award for the winning team.

- We might consider other types of rewards in the future (something like Crowd Favourite, build with highest score based on upvotes only)

- The reward needs to be gem store item so that I can buy in an instant, no farming, no RNG loot, no hassle. (I’m sure you as winners don’t want to wait for another week, month, or year after the contest ends)

- The reward will be sent to you by myself through the gifting system as soon as the final results come through. I will post a screenshot of the in-game completed transaction window to prove that the reward has been delivered. I will follow up with the winners to ensure they receive it. However, for whatever reasons that you don’t receive the reward, I will not be held liable in anyway. If that happens, you should contact Anet support team to resolve the issue.

- Winners are expected (but not required) to showcase their reward as a testament to their excellence and a monthlong of hard work; maybe a speech is in order. Anyway, I would love to have some sort of guild gathering after the contest when everyone can meet up in-game and congratulate on our “champions”.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

FAQs

Q: Why the need to pair up with a tester? If I come up with a build and also have Tester rank in the guild, can I just do everything by myself?
A: You must always have a tester partner in any case. The reasons are: testers will provide the originators with extra time and resources (gear, money, testing experience, etc.), something the originator can lack, and more importantly, they will provide a second perspective when it comes to evaluate the build. Overall, as two minds working together instead of one, the team is better at identifying issues with the build and can come up with better ideas on how to improve and refine the build during the contest. In addition, this setup will promote community growth by providing opportunities for guild members to work and play together towards a common goal.

Q: (from Natsu Dragneel) Is there any limit in the time of creation for the build, for example, does the build have to be a new creation within the last week or so, or can the build have been created several months ago and be submitted?
A: Only builds posted after 25/06 patch are eligible for this month contest. Please check the Eligibility section in EVENT STRUCTURE which I have updated.

Q: How do I change my vote in Stage 1? Do I make another post or just edit the existing post?
A: If you could pretty please post the vote again instead of editing your existing post, that would save me a lot of headache (backtracking is not easy). Thanks and cheers.

Q: If a build is not approved by the ORB, can it still pass Stage 1 and go to Stage 2? Also, what if the final score at Stage 1 is something like +10/-10, in other words, positive pts = negative pts?
A: Without approval from the ORB, as long as the build has more upvotes than downvotes, the build still comes through to Stage 2. However, you will still need to have your finalized version of the build checked against its original version (when first submitted) by the ORB so that they agree upon it’s the same build. In the extreme case of a build having net 0 pts (something like +10/-10), the build will be looked at on a case-by-case basis and I will discuss with the ORB in private whether the build should be allowed to proceed to Stage 2 or not.

Suggestions/Feedback

-reserved for later editing-

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

BUILD REGISTRATION INFO

Sensotix Bountiful Interruption TPvP/WvW Build (originality approved)

Build name: Sensotix Bountiful Interruption TPvP/WvW Build
Originator name: Sensotix
Tester partner name: Zen Duplicity
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-Bountiful-Interruption-TPvP/first#post2770843

Kaamau Evasive Signets WvW Build (originality approved)

Build name: Evasive Signets WvW Build
Originator name: Kaamau
Tester partner name: Narsil
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Mesmer-Build-Evasive-Signets/first#post2777143
Inspiration: Phloww’s Rings On my Finger’s

Natsu Blackwater Build (originality approved)

Build name: The Blackwater Mesmer Build
Originator name: Natsu Dragneel
Tester partner name: Arkedi.5934
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-The-Blackwater-Mesmer-Condition-WvW/first

Skcamow Chillruption Condition Build (originality approved) (withdrawn from contest)

Build name: Skcamow Chillruption Condition Build
Originator name: skcamow
Tester partner name: Deathcon.5903
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-ChillRuption/first#post2374546

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: purplepegasus.2791

purplepegasus.2791

Aha this is a great idea! Granted I’m not terribly confident in my build so I probably won’t enter, but this would be a great way for getting the mesmer community together and for showcasing a variety of builds.

- Tricky Gemini – Mesmer – Jade Quarry -

in Mesmer

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Just curious, do you want people to submit their builds in this thread or somewhere else?

Also, is there any limit in the time of creation for the build, for example, does the build have to be a new creation within the last week or so, or can the build have been created several months ago and be submitted?

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

What kinds of builds you gonna contest? i mean, you can’t compare a WvW solo to WvW group build, also you can’t compare a WvW build to a PVE build, and you can’t compare a PvE build to a PVP build. So i hope you guyz have a plan for this or somthing I don’t know.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Just curious, do you want people to submit their builds in this thread or somewhere else?

Also, is there any limit in the time of creation for the build, for example, does the build have to be a new creation within the last week or so, or can the build have been created several months ago and be submitted?

1/ Yes, I would prefer people submit their build in this thread (just the link to the build thread, not the whole build). It makes my job easier to manage
2/ This is something bugging me for a while now. There are some good old well-established builds that if entering the contest might just blow any new build out of the water. However, I have trouble deciding how to go forward with a ruleset that won’t prove to be too restricting. Can you come up with any idea?
I think builds that came out within the last month should be a fair rule. Whats your thought?

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

That is a tricky thing to do with time. One month could be fair as there was an increase of builds lately but finding an exact time is difficult. I would ask everyone in the guild maybe when the last time they made a build was. Also I do agree with menace about catagories, as spvp is different then pve or wvw.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

What kinds of builds you gonna contest? i mean, you can’t compare a WvW solo to WvW group build, also you can’t compare a WvW build to a PVE build, and you can’t compare a PvE build to a PVP build. So i hope you guyz have a plan for this or somthing I don’t know.

Menace, each build will be judged based on its intended purpose expressed by the originator. So in reality, the builds won’t necessarily compete against each other (except for the scores part) but needs to prove that it’s working as intended.

For example, if the build is designed as a PvE dps build. It is expected it will go through tests that are relevant in PvE context and involving DPS check.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

On that note keenlam I can probably only help in spvp and wvw, as I am more of a pvp type of person. I would assume WvW would be tested depending on how well it can do for the function of the build (i.e solo roaming spec, survival, dps, and utility to a group if roaming with more than 1 person). As for spvp, mostly the same guidelines as wvw but probably more emphasis on team utility and support, as we gotta give something to our team.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Ok guys, other sections I will update later but probably not now since I’m at work.
Thanks for your patience

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Hi guys, just updated some more sections, please take your time reading through. I know it’s a lot to take in. Any question/suggestion/feedback is most welcome.
Also,

@ Pyro, Fay, skcamow, Warlord of Chaos: can you let me know you’re interested in the positions I’m nominating you for? (either post here or hit me in-game).

I know the position will get you a little bit involved on both forum and in-game for the contest, so I’d really appreciate your dedication if you decide to take the position.

@ Chaos: as I’m aware of your situation (my sincere condolences) and that it is unlikely that you are able to take part in this. So if you read this post and interested, please let me know.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Count me in I love this initiative! The Mesmer profession has some of the most interesting build possibilities I would be very curious to see what people come up with and I’d be especially on the look-out for unusual builds that excel in their specific purpose/role rather than just their overall viability.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hardbrain.8067

Hardbrain.8067

Build of the month?

For real? Tell me you’re kidding.

You haven’t step in ranger forum since the last patch? You don’t know what happened to spirit rangers? This build became popular, other players whined and rangers got smacked in the face with the nerf hammer.

In short: you’ll learn that it’s better to keep our mouth shut on the forums or expect more nerfs to our class from Anet.

Same with farming spots.

It’s lame like that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

@keenlam, nice work man and thanks for getting this rolling! I am interested in being on the ORB if there’s an opening but considering the 3 person cap, I would definitely defer to Pyro, Chaos and Fay if they are available and wish to participate.

I have lots of PvE, WvW and Dungeon experience, just not TA – poke Pyro/Chaos/Fay.

I do PvP occasionally (and watch a ton of it via live streams) but it’s my weakest of the formats. I am an official tester in the guild so I’d assume I would stand down from that role for the time I would be on the ORB.

One comment – synergy with the tester’s thread is important with this, and your posts covered that very well. I think there will be some level of analysis done at that level to determine originality and viability of builds per some of the guidelines in that thread. Just saying so we don’t duplicate effort.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

Build name: Sensotix Bountiful Interruption TPvP/WvW Build
Originator name: Sensotix
Tester partner name: Zen Duplicity
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-Bountiful-Interruption-TPvP/first#post2770843

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

What a creative idea, count me in bro.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I can also agree with those 3. I will enjoy testing the builds also. My strength is anything s/tpvp or wvw related. However pve is not my best by far so skcamow can help a lot there

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I’m probably too much of a Simon Cowell to be a reviewer, but I don’t mind offering input on PvE builds.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

There’re a couple of folks I’m surprised haven’t been nominated. (Assuming they’re in-Guild). Namely Kylia or Flimp. Both are knowledgable in theorycraft and actual in-game practice.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

There’re a couple of folks I’m surprised haven’t been nominated. (Assuming they’re in-Guild). Namely Kylia or Flimp. Both are knowledgable in theorycraft and actual in-game practice.

Yeah they would be good, but flimp, to my knowledge, hasn’t been playing for months now and kylia as I’ve heard has been busy for some time due to things going on in RL.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Fair enough, just figured both deserved a mention. Along those lines, it’s also too bad Seven Mirror stopped playin GW2 some time ago. Another sick skilled Mes player.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Hey, Osicat should join us too.

Btw.. I don’t think that people should have to join the guild in order to submit if they don’t want to or can’t for whatever reason.

The guild is an extension of the forums, more of a social tool for anyone here who wants to use it. If you play a Mesmer and browse these forums, then you already have access to the guild whenever you want, may as well be able to join the events whenever you want too.

(But no, seriously, join the guild if ya can. I mean hell, why not have access to an enclave of Mesmer?)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

Hi guys I have updated more sections, namely Application Window and Eligibility in EVENT STRUCTURE, REWARDS, FAQs, and SCOREBOARD

Based on Fay and Chaos’ replies, the ORB now has 2 confirmed members. Only 1 more then we’re good to go.

Please note that the information I have provided at the top of this thread is subjected to change, especially the FAQs and SCOREBOARD sections. So please follow this thread closely and have a look out for changes. I know the whole thing is a lot of reading -_-.

@ Chaos: I definitely thought about Osicat but as far as I know, he’s not in the guild and I wonder why.

The reason why people need to be in the guild (whether as participants or crowd) is that it makes my housekeeping job easier to manage.

I have a full and always updated list of people in the guild (just open the guild menu), but I don’t have a full list of this forum goers. So Chaos, you understand my point right?

Also, being a board member, one needs to be a regular forum goer and poster and willing to spend time going through a lot of build threads (in addition to having a good knowledge of the profession, this part I’m sure we’re all clear). You and Pyro certainly post on forum every day. Fay, I actually don’t see her posting much on forum but we talked in-game recently and she’s ready to take up the position.

@ skcamow & Warlord of Chaos: hi guys, just want you to know your dedication is much appreciated. As you can see I’m still waiting on Pyro’s response as there is 1 open position left. I suggest we wait for a couple of days before we roll this thing out officially. At the moment, it’s either Pyro or skcamow, Warlord you can be on the Board next time, I’ve already put your name down for the October contest, hope you don’t mind

@ Sensotix: I have registered your build on the scoreboard, as far as I’m concerned, it’s an original build that you’ve come up with. However, you still need to seek approval from ORB members, namely Chaos and Fay at the moment, get them post in your build thread. And yes, we’re still looking for a third member.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

Build Name: Evasive Signets
Maker’s name: Kaamau
Inspiration: Phloww’s Rings On my Finger’s
Mode: WvW
Link to Build Thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Mesmer-Build-Evasive-Signets/first#post2777143

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

(edited by Kaamau.5341)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@Kaamau: Hi Kaamau, do you have a tester partner? I’m sure you’re in the guild already so you shouldn’t have any problem finding a tester to pair up with.
Note: your build is definitely original.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaamau.5341

Kaamau.5341

@Kaamau: Hi Kaamau, do you have a tester partner? I’m sure you’re in the guild already so you shouldn’t have any problem finding a tester to pair up with.
Note: your build is definitely original.

Yep
Build tester: Scout Sailor Moon (Narsil)

Fort Aspenwood
PRAISE GEESUS

(edited by Kaamau.5341)

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

@keenlam np np. It is fine because I am really busy with real life things this month, more than I thought to be honest. Also for anyone needing a tester just pm me on the forums or in game if you are on NA servers (wish I could go on EU :( ). I love testing builds and usually I just roam in WvW when I don’t have anything to do (testing chaos’s mind crush build and experimenting with it which is keeping me busy, yay :D ).

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Overlord.7394

Overlord.7394

I have an idea for rewards/voting. I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS, so don’t get aggressive anybody, feel free to ditch or alter my suggestion. Okay, so… To ensure a nice reward and retain the spirit of the contest, I say, to vote for a build, you must pay 1 gold EVERYTIME. Or maybe the first 1 to 3 is free then 1 gold each per vote. This is for a nice juicy reward, without it costing too much for anybody, and also, people won’t be as prone to up or down vote a build because of bias. People will vote for the ones they want to win, then stop, or, not and spice up the pile. Anyone found to be funding the cost to vote for another and is in the contest will be disqualified and kicked from the guild lol. That is all, feel free to pitch in.

My name is Remy. I’m a proud member of Lion Knights. Defender of Borlis Pass.
80s: Mesmer, Engineer, Guardian.
In progress: Warrior 52.

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

Build of the month?

For real? Tell me you’re kidding.

You haven’t step in ranger forum since the last patch? You don’t know what happened to spirit rangers? This build became popular, other players whined and rangers got smacked in the face with the nerf hammer.

In short: you’ll learn that it’s better to keep our mouth shut on the forums or expect more nerfs to our class from Anet.

Same with farming spots.

It’s lame like that.

BotM is a super fun idea and I am totally on board no question but maybe this guy is right… Should we make a private website that only known members of the guild can log into if anybody can and will make the website? Or perhaps make a facebook group with our character names OR real Facebook’s, what ever the individual prefers. Probably make character name ones, but yeah. If we don’t mind doing that, then we should! It would not let arena net in on our super awesome 1337 builds and it would also make the guild a more tightnit bunch, I’m sure of it.

in Mesmer

Warlord of Chaos.7845

That is debatable overlord. I definitely do agree with another website that way we can record all of our builds and bond the guild. I will say if anyone wants to make a website that would be really cool however it is a lot of work. However, I don’t agree with the gold per vote as I am really poor right now buying/crafting every gear set :P. I do agree with a reward though for the build of the month. We should possibly have a place where all the builds nominated are shown and not scattered around.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

(edited by Warlord of Chaos.7845)

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

Well, just hear me out bro. The gold per vote is good! If you don’t want to pay it, then you only vote the allotted amount of builds! If you do, ask for a gold or don’t vote! Really, it isn’t a whole lot, but the fact that you don’t want to pay that and are against it actually kind of shows the benefit of having this on there! If not one gold then maybe everytime you vote, the cost doubles, starting at 5 silver or however many they want depending on how many participants there are! Just hear me out, ORB! Don’t just shrug it off!

P.S. Call me Remy.

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@ Kaamau: your build has been registered for the contest.

@ Overlord and Warlord: It would be great if someone can make a website for the guild. Then I can organize the event, posting information and results, on our own guild website forum. That would be very very much appreciated.

Just want to clarify, a person can only have 1 vote for each build.

Overlord’s idea to add a cost per vote is not easily implemented on the forum since I have no way to tell if person has paid or not, leading to I need to check in-game thus the whole process will be slowed down significantly. In short, we simply don’t have the tools and or account team to handle it promptly. x(
Also it will discourage people from voting and right now we need as many votes as possible.

As for the issue about hiding our ‘secret weapon’ builds from the public, I don’t think it’s necessary.
The idea is to promote build diversity, and help us mesmers to deal with the ever-changing meta, so every month there will be people thinking out of the box and come up with new builds.
Also I want to make this event transparent as much as I can. We are not aiming to hide anything here and I trust Anet will do the right thing when it comes to class balance.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

I have an idea for a reward.

The best build gets some rare dyes that ‘fit’ with their build. Other participating builds gt alot of masterwork ones and a few rare.

For example: the lockdown build will get purple and shades of grey, purple for mesmer and grey because its lockdown.

Support builds get bright dyes etc.

And if they already had he dye unlocked, they can give t away for free in guild chat/sell it :’D.

Or maybe we overload them with fine/masterwork items to salvage to luck.

OH, we can also make a build of the month video with the best one and all other ones that participated :o.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

After the 25/6? well then, I do believe ill chuck mine in whilst I’m at it, that is, if you are still open for some apps, if you want me to stay out of it that’s fine, its cutting it a bit close with your entry date limit XD

Build name: The Blackwater Mesmer Build
Originator name: Natsu Dragneel.1625 (IGN:Faith Blackwater/Arista Scarlett)
Tester partner name: Arkedy.5934 (Ansurui)
Orientation: Condition Based WvW/PvP, PvE possible but probably not preferable.
Link to build thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Build-The-Blackwater-Mesmer-Condition-WvW/first
~Also a link in my sig

(edited by Natsu Dragneel.1625)

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

I have an idea for a reward.

The best build gets some rare dyes that ‘fit’ with their build. Other participating builds gt alot of masterwork ones and a few rare.

For example: the lockdown build will get purple and shades of grey, purple for mesmer and grey because its lockdown.

Support builds get bright dyes etc.

And if they already had he dye unlocked, they can give t away for free in guild chat/sell it :’D.

Or maybe we overload them with fine/masterwork items to salvage to luck.

OH, we can also make a build of the month video with the best one and all other ones that participated :o.

Cool idea, Alissah.
All dyes are grouped into 8 color types and I think we can go with a color theme like this:
PURPLE: signature color of the class, so the winners get this by default.

DPS type:
- Direct Damage: = RED
- Condition Damage: = GREEN

TANK type: = BROWN or ORANGE

SUPPORT type: = BLUE or YELLOW

CC/LOCKDOWN type: = GRAY

My only issue is that the gray group has the most expensive dyes because people love pure black and white. But I’m not overly concerned about this bias.

Anyway, we will discuss more about your ideas in-game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

so my build is registered for the contest?

in Mesmer

keenlam.4753

@Natsu: Glad that you decide to join the contest. Yes, your build certainly has somewhat an advantage seeing how it’s quite established. But this just means we have some good competition.

You still need to get yourself a tester partner. Sorry, this is something I really want to push for the sake of communication between members in the guild.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Fixed that up, I now have a testing partner.

in Mesmer

You know how someone said that they will be scoring based on all the likes and dislikes right? So like this: +9/-4. Let’s say a person got this score right? This basically means that person got like 5 points. And if they made in top three, they get money based on their place and the points they accumulated.

For example:

5 Points

If 1st place: 5 gold
If 2nds place: 5 silver
If 3rd place: 5 copper(Lol)

I think this makes the competition a bit more intense. Just my thought.

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

Menace, you should enter the build of the month contest. Just find a tester. You like making builds lol.

in Mesmer

Yah, Dis is Tru, but before I decide to enter the contest, can someone comment/critique my latest version of the Invulnerability My Butt build? Much would be appreciated. I can’t help but laugh as I am typing my build’s name.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Bragging rights/popularity is also a big part of the rewards!

For example, the winner(s) will be in the message of the day, we will bump their original threads, maybe put some gameplay on video if its a bit starved : D.

I guess we could make a seperate thread each month that lists winners? I dont think it would be against the forum rules or something.

Maybe active people in this contest can put the build link in their signature for the month, somehing like: "september build of the month: super mesmer build, or something ".

More rewards = more fun… Right :o?

edit: @menace please change the name .______.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

(edited by Alissah.9281)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

This is a very nice idea! It also gets involved with the community more. I wish I could post mine, even though it’s been constantly updating since 4 months ago. Then again, the original build was a hybrid and I just started full-condition spec build ideas shortly after joining OMFG and made a branch off of the original build name like “Original Title – Branch Name”.

Edit: Since my original Flowing Images build hybrid, but I’ve recently made condition builds of it (and added the build onto the original thread), does the condition builds consider “new” or because of the original name, it doesn’t qualify?

(edited by Phloww.1048)

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

@Phloww, if it’s a completely different build than your original (which it sounds like it is), feel free to enter it in.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

@Skcamow, thanks very much for the quick response! Maybe I’ll just make a new post with the condition build (and its variants) and give it a new name so that it won’t be confused with the other one. Due to RL stuff and most of my free time in GW2 is doing SAB and dailies, I don’t think I can make it in time for this BotM, but perhaps next month I can.