Ranger update

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Abraxix.7693

Abraxix.7693

^ lol, are you a mod here that will now have to re-read every single post? or just get excited when it bumps back to the top??

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

My heart skipped a beat in joy when I saw the little icon to the left of this thread indicating a mod had posted in the thread.

Soon after my heart skipped another beat, but this time out of sheer disappointment.

Curse you thread rezzers.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

so anyone…
was that the magical ranger patch everyone expected?
Just asking…

I think the last patches have done a lot for Rangers. The GS block in motion is great, the 25% speed boost with signet of the hunt is great (10% was just silly), the quicker res time on Lick Wounds is fantastic (if only it worked on uneven terrain and didn’t start on cooldown), definitely steps forward in the right direction. Regarding projectile speed and pet damage in PvP, I haven’t noticed for myself whether Anet’s changes have really made a difference as I haven’t been doing much PvP lately. Anyone else care to comment? It seems the devs are at least attempting to address our biggest issues, which is already a huge leap forward in my book.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

(edited by Daemon.4295)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

I think the last patches have done a lot for Rangers. The GS block in motion is great, the 25% speed boost with signet of the hunt is great (10% was just silly), the quicker res time on Lick Wounds is fantastic (if only it worked on uneven terrain and didn’t start on cooldown), definitely steps forward in the right direction. Regarding projectile speed and pet damage in PvP, I haven’t noticed for myself whether Anet’s changes have really made a difference as I haven’t been doing much PvP lately. Anyone else care to comment? It seems the devs are at least attempting to address our biggest issues, which is already a huge leap forward in my book.

The gs thing sounds better than it is. It’s still a cheap copy of the warrior one, which is far superior. For using the cc effect of it, you have to channel, meaning everyone simply outruns the sword you throw after them. The damage and attack rate is still too low to be a weapon worth mentioning.

The 25% speed signet was just something they held off for months. It shouldve been like this from the start so it’s not even a buff.

The res time is also something that’s only better in theory. The skill itself is still bugged like hell and wont work like 50% of the time. In WvW the cooldown and the rate is still way too long/slow. Everyone, even bunker builds, will kill you before you have it ready, not to mention just finishing off. Only usable in PvE where Ranger has no place anyway.

Projectile speed didn’t change anything, it’s still so slow that everyone can just tip a or d to avoid it. The obstructed thing got a bit reduced though, but not really that much.

For pet damage, just go to the Mists and attack the running golem. It’s still as horrid as it was before because the pet runs in circles instead of straight to the enemy and the attack animation is so slow the golem simply runs out of range most of the time.

And imo, they don’t adress the biggest issues. Because water combat surely isn’t one of our biggest flaws, it’s everything else.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

The 25% speed signet was just something they held off for months. It shouldve been like this from the start so it’s not even a buff.

You have some really strange logic.

We’re also not the only class to have a res ability to start on cooldown.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Kalas.6743

Kalas.6743

They really haven’t done all that many balance issues with the ranger yet besides a slight increase to the spirts which still suck, but not as much. Everything else has been fixing bugs and a mistakes they made.

The greatsword was a bug
Lick wounds was a big and can still be buggy
Signet of the Hunt was a mistake
Ranged weapon speed was a mistake
Pets(mistake) not hiting moving targets was a bug

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

The gs thing sounds better than it is. It’s still a cheap copy of the warrior one, which is far superior. For using the cc effect of it, you have to channel, meaning everyone simply outruns the sword you throw after them. The damage and attack rate is still too low to be a weapon worth mentioning.

The res time is also something that’s only better in theory. The skill itself is still bugged like hell and wont work like 50% of the time. In WvW the cooldown and the rate is still way too long/slow. Everyone, even bunker builds, will kill you before you have it ready, not to mention just finishing off. Only usable in PvE where Ranger has no place anyway.

Projectile speed didn’t change anything, it’s still so slow that everyone can just tip a or d to avoid it. The obstructed thing got a bit reduced though, but not really that much.

For pet damage, just go to the Mists and attack the running golem. It’s still as horrid as it was before because the pet runs in circles instead of straight to the enemy and the attack animation is so slow the golem simply runs out of range most of the time.

And imo, they don’t adress the biggest issues. Because water combat surely isn’t one of our biggest flaws, it’s everything else.

It’s ridiculous that a full tank warrior using GS can outdmg a full zerk ranger also using GS. (when the pet fails to die for some miraculous reason the dmg is about equal)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

This kitten post tricked me again… Stop bringing this post back to life! >_>

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Meandor Berdor.5438

Meandor Berdor.5438

It’s ridiculous that a full tank warrior using GS can outdmg a full zerk ranger also using GS. (when the pet fails to die for some miraculous reason the dmg is about equal)

The point is, the rangers GS is a defensive weapon whereas the warriors GS is built for offense. A warrior with a GS has no evade with his auto-attack, no block, no daze/stun.
I dont say I won`t like to see a bit more dmg on the auto-attack, but I like the other skills^^

Stehkyn Rhein – Sylvari Ranger
Lovisha – Human Guardian — Nyrna – Human Thief
Server: Elonafels [DE]/Elona Reach

Ranger update

in Ranger

Sina.9208

The point is, the rangers GS is a defensive weapon whereas the warriors GS is built for offense. A warrior with a GS has no evade with his auto-attack, no block, no daze/stun.
I dont say I won`t like to see a bit more dmg on the auto-attack, but I like the other skills^^

Ranger is a squishy fragile thing, ofc it needs those defensive abilities. I personally don’t think that in pve these def wep skills are on par with what the warrior has in melee. (more armor for one)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

While I agree that the Greatsword is primarily a defensive weapon, it could definately use a boost to its damage output to make it viable as a main weapon. During Beta it did absurd amounts of damage and it certainly demanded a nerf, but the nerf it received was far too harsh. I do not expect a Greatsword Ranger to outdamage a Greatsword Warrior, but I definately expect it to be more effective at killing my opponents than waiting for them to catch some exotic disease.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Meandor Berdor.5438

Meandor Berdor.5438

^This is exactly what I want During the Beta I played with the GS as main weapon most of the time, and I still do (PvE, PvP and WvW) because the pet does most of the dmg (and I like the style of the GS), but if it dies, I just stay there and and wait for the cooldown of pet swap or for my team to help…

Stehkyn Rhein – Sylvari Ranger
Lovisha – Human Guardian — Nyrna – Human Thief
Server: Elonafels [DE]/Elona Reach

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

Soldier build GS ranger is quite fun to play with.Hopefully can reach 4K attack unbuff with the new ascended gears in future patch

Attachments:

Ranger update

in Ranger

Sina.9208

I have a feeling that we are not getting buffed in pve, because the master plan is to let pet stats scale with our gear, but they have technical difficulties (the designers don’t have the tools and the programmers are busy with new content) and we may have to wait till the first expansion to get this feature.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

FIX SPIRITS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

then, shouts and some of the useless signets.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Cariocecus.5194

Cariocecus.5194

Soldier build GS ranger is quite fun to play with.Hopefully can reach 4K attack unbuff with the new ascended gears in future patch

You cant just dish out a 4k GS Ranger and not share that build.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Barius.1089

Barius.1089

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

Ok I can’t type more with tiny phone finger keypad. See you in game!

Jon

Thanks for the signets. Where are our spirits? This was in November. Much love.

P.S. The one-handed sword attack chain is still frustratingly difficult to use.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Amazing how many views this thread has. Shocking when you look at the date as well. 3 months ago and the only thing he delivered was improved “pet stickiness”.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

Jon

What are you thanking him for? As far as I know, signets haven’t been touched at all.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Jon

What are you thanking him for? As far as I know, signets haven’t been touched at all.

Signet of the hunt movement speed +% got bumped. But that wasn’t really a buff since every profession got movement speed bumped as well.
I think its about time they start fixing things. We’ve waited for them for faaaar too long.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

SoH is a waste of a utlity slot. it make sense for a prof like the thief who needs to get to a place quickly, dump all their burst, down/stomp someone and get out quickly. ranger has no use for the increased move speed. it badly needs other utilities to do damage or survive.

other signets havent been touched, and other than sic’em, shouts havent really be touched either. still waiting for things that will surprise me and make this prof interesting Jon. you made it sound like you were working on a serious project there, instead you gave us crumbs, twice now. youve done nothing to boost the ranger in the meta or in wvw. same 1 or 2 builds are being utilized before and after your patches.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: AjoraOaks.3659

AjoraOaks.3659

Turning into a forgotten class, well maybe something will show up soon but it’s been pretty disappointing and I haven’t wanted to finish my ranger when I could be playing other classes that have a better feel.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

Also still very disappointed… my main is (or was) a Ranger.. but I dont play him anymore…
(absurdly the only thing I use him is in the new weekly the underwater combat things – Aquaman ftw)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

You cant just dish out a 4k GS Ranger and not share that build.

It’s just soldier equipment; power/toughness/vitality. I would recommend getting some more critical chance then only 5%, though.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

One question, do we have to wait first expansion to finally have useful traits/utilities and more than SB auto as a useful attack??????

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

IDK, my favorite attack right now is Torch/Axe/LB – lay down a bonfire, hit them with a flaming bleed and switch to LB for flaming arrows. I rarely use my SB at all.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

They will continue to neglect the ranger just like they did in gw1….they will leave it sitting in the corner and not worry about it.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

I think the greatsword should be buffed with physical and/or condition damage or boons e. g. regeneration, protection, fury, might. And i don’t think that it is defensive. It looks rather offensive if you look at the skills but lacks in damage.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

I think the greatsword should be buffed with physical and/or condition damage or boons e. g. regeneration, protection, fury, might. And i don’t think that it is defensive. It looks rather offensive if you look at the skills but lacks in damage.

Number 1 has a build-in evade, #4 is a block, and #5 is a daze. It’s definately a defensive weapon. The only pure offensive attack is #2. #3 Is a gap-closer.

If you want to see what a proper, offensive greatsword looks like, check out the warrior’s and the guardian’s.

Ranger update

in Ranger

raubvogel.5071

Number 1 has a build-in evade, #4 is a block, and #5 is a daze. It’s definately a defensive weapon. The only pure offensive attack is #2. #3 Is a gap-closer.

If you want to see what a proper, offensive greatsword looks like, check out the warrior’s and the guardian’s.

Those defensive components are there to support an offensive play style. Since we are Rangers we need to evade and the ability to block.

Compared to a warrior with the highest armor our greatsword and we are just weak. If we want to compensate our own armor tier we need more damage on our greatsword and more survivability.

Compared to a guardian its the same situation. The ranger could and should be more fun in melee. The guardian has blinding on his GS and if traited he can blind on death. Thats a huge difference not only he is able to do damage he is much more defensive with his ability to blind foes.

If it is intended to be a defensive weapon it is not great in that role either. If you put a greatsword in for a ranger you should be able to do a descent damage with that weapon alone. Currently both offensive and defensive skills are not that great.

So if you want to roll with a GS, like i do, many of the damage is done by traps. The only useful skill to me is #2 on the GS.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The GS counterattack should knockdown, not back. The last thing you want on a melee weapon is to move your opponent from you. Especially a melee weapon with no good cripple.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

IDK, my favorite attack right now is Torch/Axe/LB – lay down a bonfire, hit them with a flaming bleed and switch to LB for flaming arrows. I rarely use my SB at all.

You can light your arrows on fire with the torch? That’s awesome. I never even glanced at the torch because it just seemed boring to me but now I will have to check it out. Currently I am using GS/lb but torch+axe/lb sounds like it could be fun then.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

They will continue to neglect the ranger just like they did in gw1….they will leave it sitting in the corner and not worry about it.

GW1 Ranger was the best Ranger/Hunter I ever played.

Granted I only care about PVP, but Magebane Ranger was THE BOSS

Ranger update

in Ranger

raubvogel.5071

Here is how I would change the GS-skills:

skill #1 increase the physical damage +100%.
Reason: with that we would have a decent auto-attack.

skill #2 i would add knockdown and add physical damage (+50%) and change recast to 20s, 25 or 30s.
Reason: This should be something big. I mean its a bear. So the knockdown makes sense to me and a huge recast as well.

skill #3 i would add cripple and increase physical damage
Reason: If you are in melee you want your foes to keep in that range so cripple is rather essential for us.

skill #4 i would do a whirl out of it. Whirl with GS for 5s. Recast 10s. Maybe with poison damage
Reason: I don’t like the defensive way of counter attack. You have to block and then you can cripple? Does this make sense? A counter attack can be offensive as well.

skill #5 i would change the skill so it blinds nearby foes (remove daze) using hilt bash. Recast 15s.
Reason: We need to blind foes more often due to our lack of armor.

maybe i should just get back to my guardian…

What if melee pets hit 3 or 5 targets instead of 1? Maybe this could be a solution? And compensate the lack of damage

(edited by raubvogel.5071)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Lyenyo.2891

Lyenyo.2891

I think they need to bring back Preparations.. imagine the possibilities!

Fire arrows, Poison arrows, Barbed arrows, Ice arrows and even Explosive arrows (imagine long bow skill 5 + exploding arrows)

I believe it would make Rangers a lot more versatile.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

You can light your arrows on fire with the torch? That’s awesome. I never even glanced at the torch because it just seemed boring to me but now I will have to check it out. Currently I am using GS/lb but torch+axe/lb sounds like it could be fun then.

“Bonfire” is a combo field. Fire out of or through the ‘combo field’ with a ‘finisher’ to get the effect. Axe/SB/LB/Dagger Our element traps also provide a combo field.

Combined with a Fire trap and alternating between them I can stay in a ring of fire most of the time (not moving) or create a path of fire leading to me.

I tried running with Axe+Horn or Sword+(horn or torch) and have better luck with the Axe. (the Sword+horn is pretty awesome for single targets, the Axe’s automatic ‘bounce’ between targets imho is better for crowd control coupled with a Drakes tail I don’t worry to much when getting mobbed.)

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Autoattacks only have a 20% chance of triggering the field.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I think they need to bring back Preparations.. imagine the possibilities!

Fire arrows, Poison arrows, Barbed arrows, Ice arrows and even Explosive arrows (imagine long bow skill 5 + exploding arrows)

I believe it would make Rangers a lot more versatile.

For better or for wore, that just sounds like the grenade kit. You wouldn’t want them anyways they’ll just nerf the damage to the ground on it.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

The GS counterattack should knockdown, not back. The last thing you want on a melee weapon is to move your opponent from you. Especially a melee weapon with no good cripple.

Well from a WvW perspective I like those rare occasions where I push someone down a cliff (and it is the only push we have beside longbow).

What Greatsword needs is straight out more damage on the autochain, more damage on 4 when you throw it (it even roots us for the animation) and longer ranger or faster animation (or better both) for 5. I actually think in beta it was at the right spot but to many people cried and they overnerfed it before people learned other classes and how to counter/play properly.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Jubei.5923

Jubei.5923

Well from a WvW perspective I like those rare occasions where I push someone down a cliff (and it is the only push we have beside longbow).

I like those rare occassions Rangers actually provide something useful to their team, other than comical relief when you tell your team mates what your actual damage is with full zerker gear.

Seriously, 3+ months on and still no major improvements to this awful class.

After creating 2 other professions and maxing/gearing them out, still nothing for the Ranger.

Learn to balance your work load, ANet. The fact that this thread is still being bumped means absolutely no one is letting you forget about this class. So yeah, whenever you’re not busy spending our money and bathing in your money showers, fix your kitten.

Cheers.

No animals were harmed during the typing of this post.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: loopi.7913

loopi.7913

Every time I log on this thread keeps making its way to the top… Are people still hoping for the “significant changes” to ranger promised 3 months ago? I got sad reading through the “thank you, your awesome posts that slowly degraded into the wtf it’s been two months now what’s going on…” Comments. Devs if your gonna post something like this then back it up please stop keeping your community on the “to do eventually” list.

Vexinia – Squishee animal wrangler of TC

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Casey.9687

Casey.9687

The lack of communication from anet is extremely annoying….they are present in other class forums but they have completely ignored the ranger forum for 3 months now…get your act together anet and give us some gah dang feed back.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Hilda Raven.8641

Hilda Raven.8641

The lack of communication from anet is extremely annoying….they are present in other class forums but they have completely ignored the ranger forum for 3 months now…get your act together anet and give us some gah dang feed back.

Agreed, atleast answer us paying customers. Anet has hundreds upon hundreds of my dollars right now and sometimes I feel like a fool. I’m not expecting SuperDevMan to pop in and say yes all these things you want we are giving, but an ANSWER or some kind. Whether you plan to make ranger better, improve its damage/traits/pet or not. It is a pure guessing game with Anet, we just want some acknowledgement even if it is to say no, we are not planning on making changes to such and such features. Atleast we’d stop wishing and hoping and have a straight answer.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Arifialdy.1534

Arifialdy.1534

Agreed, atleast answer us paying customers. Anet has hundreds upon hundreds of my dollars right now and sometimes I feel like a fool. I’m not expecting SuperDevMan to pop in and say yes all these things you want we are giving, but an ANSWER or some kind. Whether you plan to make ranger better, improve its damage/traits/pet or not. It is a pure guessing game with Anet, we just want some acknowledgement even if it is to say no, we are not planning on making changes to such and such features. Atleast we’d stop wishing and hoping and have a straight answer.

very agreed on this, you have been giving us a FALSE HOPE for 3 month now….. don’t pretending blind now, at last RESPECT us and GIVE AN ANSWER

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Bars T Death.6451

Bars T Death.6451

very agreed on this, you have been giving us a FALSE HOPE for 3 month now….. don’t pretending blind now, at last RESPECT us and GIVE AN ANSWER

been to long for answer think were the forgotten class now

Jade Quarry
All lvl 80’s

Ranger update

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

We’re on our own. Expect nothing from the devs. We’ll carve our own destinies.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I am still waiting for a post of that 4k dmg GS build at the top of the page.
My ranger is still running with GS/LB because I refuse to give up the GS and not because it is an amazing weapon choice. I keep retraiting hoping to find that ‘spot’ that works.
Underwater fighting is still the most fun, except for my inability to get at the right depth to target.
I wish they would fix the Pets. Slow animation, few with decent AoE, low survivability in certain situations, and they are absolutely obstinant refusing to do their F2 skill/ability no matter how many times you mash that button.
I am sure I left out a ton of issues but others on this thread have said them ad nauseum.
Anyone have a good strategy in WvW badge collection? Using my LB I can get people down but getting in close to finish them off; I usually arrive too late and someone else has done it. I even switch to GS just as they go down and try to Swoop but I’m always too late. 500 kills and 22 badges (includes 1 jumping puzzle worth of badges). Sorry for going OT but I was wondering if this is something others see as an issue or it’s just my poor strategy.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Ranger update

in Ranger

Agadar.4931

You don’t get badges for finishing, Infernia. You get badges for having dealt damage against a finished opponent. Note that you don’t ALWAYS get badges. In fact, two out of three times I don’t get any.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: iitwinz.1420

iitwinz.1420

1000th post~ (off topic yes)

Server: Sea of Sorrows
IGN: Recommend -lvl 80 Ranger
Guild: Professors [PROF]

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I love my Ranger but I really think it needs some fixes in some regions like the pet AI. The Ranger’s strenght is far too much dependent on their pets and they rarelly can hit anything in wvwvw because of a certain bug that makes them stop moving for a second and a half before attacking. It would really help if they could be able to stay alive longer aswell during battles as they get their butt kicked pretty quickly, including with agony in Fractals of the Mist as agony resistance serves nothing for them. I know equipment stats aren’t supposed to affect pets, but at least let the agony resistance for the pets.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)