Surprise surprise, Druid's last!

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Well, there may be 15 skills on the staff, if there are 3 aspects. 5 for Support, 5 for control, 5 for DPS… Now that would be godkitten amazing!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Well, there may be 15 skills on the staff, if there are 3 aspects. 5 for Support, 5 for control, 5 for DPS… Now that would be godkitten amazing!

I really doubt this is going to happen. IF the new class mechanic will be 3 aspects, there is nothing that sais that it will change weapon skills like elementalist attunements. If they would, they wouldn’t be tied to the weapon staff and I doubt anet is doing the effort to give each weapon set of rangers 2 complete new skill sets.

I bet the attunement will be something about the pet, like giving the pet an passive effect pulsing around it. Not changing weapon skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Im calling it..

Druid will make plants grow and give buffs like spirits do, 1sec of might every 3sec for example..

They will be beautifull and they will have long casting animation..

They will fill you screen and probably will die in a sec..

In 1 year they will increase the health about 50%

In 6 months about another 50%

In two years they will make em resistant to aoes

In the next expansion they will make em trasparent and they wont fill your screen anymore..

Mark my words

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Im calling it..

Druid will make plants grow and give buffs like spirits do, 1sec of might every 3sec for example..

They will be beautifull and they will have long casting animation..

They will fill you screen and probably will die in a sec..

In 1 year they will increase the health about 50%

In 6 months about another 50%

In two years they will make em resistant to aoes mobile

In the next expansion they will make em trasparent and they wont fill your screen anymore.. immobile

in Ranger

Posted by: Redemer.2601

Redemer.2601

CALLED IT!!! from the very start

in Ranger

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Mark my words

Why, anet, WHYYYYYYYY

/sobs pitifully

in Ranger

Posted by: UKADAM.3910

UKADAM.3910

as long as druid staff isnt like necro staff its worth being last, no wells please, people think its gonna be all support but the trailer clearly shows a damage attack like a beam of vines, so dont expect it to be fully support.

maybe wel have mind control effects :P maybe our special ability will have a short control of natures creatures :P turn mordrem against each other, thats what m hoping anyways haha

Just because the AA is doing damage doesn’t mean the weapon isn’t support/healing centered. There is only one AA in game which doesn’t do damage (looking at you, buff needing med kit ô.o). I still think the spec is about healing.

Utility skills seem to be glyphes, a datamined trait sais so. But I don’t know why you got the idea of mind control skills. It doesn’t fit the druid theme, just if you are encountered by nature creatures, but what if you are fighting machines? Makes no sense. IF someone gets mind control, it should be the mesmer. ^^

I never said it wouldn’t be support, i said it wouldn’t be a fully support spec, ther will properly be some aspects of support but not all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

lol I’m sitting in an EUETS audit at work at the moment and I’m so bored and I’m reading through this thread and nobody can see my screen xD xD xD

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

There is no way that video is of the staff auto-attack. The ranger was rooted in place and it had like a 3 second cast time.

“Working as intended.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

You know, if their aspects really works like the Elementalist attunement, then that might mean that by taking the elite spec, perhaps all of their weapons have their abilities shuffled around.

Somehow I doubt that will happen, but it is an interesting idea.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rizo.9534

Rizo.9534

I think that they’ll make new Pet Mechanic!
When your pets HP goes to “0” it will not die!!!
It just can’t move and all damage made to your pet will redirected to you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

There is no way that video is of the staff auto-attack. The ranger was rooted in place and it had like a 3 second cast time.

“We heard your complaints about the 1h Sword being too mobile…”

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

Knowing Anet I wouldn’t put something this crazy past them

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

“Working as intended.”

Let’s also not forget that at that point the Vines still need a few seconds to reach their target as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Symbiotic_Bond

they did something similar before :P
[that was.. hmmm very interesting… “shout” :P]

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

kek wouldn’t take that sheeeiiiit. I thought GW1 Ranqer was sposed to be good?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

Just thought I would put some interesting notes about real Druids from Wikipedia that could tell us a little about what themes me might expect:

- A druid (Irish: druí; Welsh: derwydd) was a member of the educated, professional class among the Celtic peoples of Gaul, Britain, Ireland, and possibly elsewhere during the Iron Age. The druid class included law-speakers, poets and doctors, among other learned professions, although the best known among the druids were the religious leaders.

- Various recurring themes emerge in a number of the Greco-Roman accounts of the druids, including that they performed animal and even human sacrifice, believed in a form of reincarnation

- Based on all available forms, the hypothetical proto-Celtic word may then be reconstructed as *dru-wid-s (pl. *druwides) meaning “oak-knower”.

- The ritual of oak and mistletoe is a Celtic religious ceremony, in which white-clad druids climbed a sacred oak, cut down the mistletoe growing on it, sacrificed two white bulls and used the mistletoe to make an elixir to cure infertility and the effects of poison

- One of the few things that both the Greco-Roman and the vernacular Irish sources agree on about the druids is that they played an important part in pagan Celtic society

- Diodorus Siculus and Strabo, also wrote about the role of druids in Gallic society, claiming that the druids were held in such respect that if they intervened between two armies they could stop the battle.

in Ranger

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

It was always great in PvP, but it was one of the worst classes (if not the worst class) in high end PvE post Factions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Just thought I would put some interesting notes about real Druids from Wikipedia that could tell us a little about what themes me might expect:

GW2 druids are based on the GW1 druids according to Colin when they were first revealed. It’s some of the cooler lore from the first game (I guess because it was very mysterious). This should be more enlightening than the real world Wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

GW2 druids are based on the GW1 druids according to Colin when they were first revealed. It’s some of the cooler lore from the first game (I guess because it was very mysterious). This should be more enlightening than the real world Wiki.

your link:

The Druids were a group of Krytan humans that long ago moved to the Maguuma Jungle in order to live with nature. It is said that they are devout followers of Melandru, though this is only rumors. According to the History of Tyria, they were forced out of jungles in the long distant past by other humans. They were last seen by others sometime before 982 AE and mysteriously vanished decades before 1072 AE. Although generally believed to have been killed off by the jungle’s predatory plants and animals, the Druids actually shed their physical bodies to become one with nature. The Druids now exist as spirits, appearing similar to Oakhearts.

The GW1 vision of Druids, just like D&D Druids for example, are based on our worlds historic Druids. Where do you think the word “Druid” comes from? The similarities are obvious: closeness to nature/worshiping Melandru (paganism), reincarnation (sheding bodies to become spirits), Sacrifices (well they sacrificed their own bodies, we know that), Social out casts (forced out of Tyria). Lttle is known if the recorded history of them is true, etc. You link is no more relevant or “enlightening” than what I posted.

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Oh snap. I had a gut feeling that Druid would be heavily based on spirits since they gutted spirits. Especially given that they gutted the acro line for thieves and gave it back to them in the form of Daredevil…

Then when the data miners showed aspects, I kept thinking we might have something like Aspect of the Sun Spirit, or Aspect of the Water Spirit….and have glyphs that change along with whatever Spirit aspect we had.

Now that wiki just makes me feel spirits are going to play a big role in Druid.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Ok the link may not be enlightening, but the original game was. The GW1 druids have some really cool lore. Sorry, wasn’t trying to kitten you off, but there is a lot of lore you may not be familiar with. The lore forum might have some stuff, although I wouldn’t have any idea where to look for them. I think Wooden Potatoes has some videos as well. There is TOOOONS of lore from the first game, and it can be difficult to sort through it all.

Overall, it probably has next to nothing to do with how the druids will play though, that’s going to be 100% about game mechanics.

Oh snap. I had a gut feeling that Druid would be heavily based on spirits since they gutted spirits. Especially given that they gutted the acro line for thieves and gave it back to them in the form of Daredevil…

Then when the data miners showed aspects, I kept thinking we might have something like Aspect of the Sun Spirit, or Aspect of the Water Spirit….and have glyphs that change along with whatever Spirit aspect we had.

Now that wiki just makes me feel spirits are going to play a big role in Druid.

Who knows. There was this weird thing were if you killed a GW1 druid spirit, a bunch of ‘forest guardian’ spirits showed up and slaughtered you. They shared the same model as some of the demons from the under world elite area. I still think the devs will look at gameplay before lore, although they did say they wanted a few of the specializations to be very GW lore-based.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

well, when you combine that with some other skilsl it means that both of you were pretty hard to kill – imo symbioting bond was must have skill for any beastmaster back at gw1 because without it your pet were just too squishy – and you always had a loads of ways to heal yourself while only a phew for pet (when I was runnign beastmaster I always combined heal as one with symbiotic bond and sometimes added trolls unguent – with proper rest of the build it were really hard to kill us both

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

They were. But the first game had tons of useless skills across all professions.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Good thing the pet never gets to 0 health then!

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

Who knows. There was this weird thing were if you killed a GW1 druid spirit, a bunch of ‘forest guardian’ spirits showed up and slaughtered you. They shared the same model as some of the demons from the under world elite area. I still think the devs will look at gameplay before lore, although they did say they wanted a few of the specializations to be very GW lore-based.

That would be…interesting. I can see it now. “Vengeful Spirits: Upon being downed, summon a host of spirits to congregate around your body. Spirits self-destruct dealing AOE damage to enemies while granting boons to allies. 180s CD”

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

It was always great in PvP, but it was one of the worst classes (if not the worst class) in high end PvE post Factions.

Welp, looking at the current meta and the the speedclear teambuilds, warriors are by far the worst. They aren’t even represented as a secondary profession.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Welp, looking at the current meta and the the speedclear teambuilds, warriors are by far the worst. They aren’t even represented as a secondary profession.

Anet pretty much stopped giving a kitten about pve balance after EotN came out.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Good thing the pet never gets to 0 health then!

Except when they die from fall damage.

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Anet pretty much stopped giving a kitten about pve balance after EotN came out.

Heh, except when Ursanway was a thing..

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

So do you think druid is finished and they just want us to accept what they’re giving or is it a ‘we hope it done before launch’?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

That depends on the build. Just before GW2 came out (about the time they stopped all balancing), W/A was a big part of a particular farming build (manlyway, I believe it was called).

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Warrior was good in general pve for vanquishing and stuff like that. Axe, hammer, and sword all had viable build options. Speed clears were dominated by assassins of course (or R/A) because Shadow Form was literally God Mode. Warriors could be used in fowsc as well, dervishes were better, but war was still viable so it’s not as if they had zero place in endgame pve.

Edit: also Rangers were meh in general pve. I remember we had that one turret build for awhile that could spike pretty hard, but in general you had to abuse Expertise for dagger, scythe, sword, or spirit spam to do anything really.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

(edited by Mcrocha.3891)

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

Rangers had splinter barrage or (with a human teammate) the ever hilarious GDW barrage. BHA was useful in some areas (Rilohn’s HM with the bonus, as I recall). For mobs, though, you’d often get better interrupts from mesmer’s (also hilarious) panic.

As for warrior, generally sword (100b) with a mark of pain necro was effective for filling the screen with numbers. The best class for easy damage in HM was necro (in fact, they were the best casters in PvE, except maybe for SoS rit).

in Ranger

Posted by: zebbers.6139

zebbers.6139

it’s not almost funny, it’s hilarious. i love me some ranger tears

edit: you guys were hell in gw1, splinter barrager for urgoz was fun as hell though.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

What i miss from GW1 spirits is their game changing nature. They applied their effects to everyone, friend or foe, changing the rules of the fight for everyone. I bet we’d be more in demand in wvw if we had access to a Frozen Soil spirit that prevented rezzes or made anyone die when downed (including allies, of course).

The current GW2 spirits are just self-destructible banners that you can’t pick up.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Edit: also Rangers were meh in general pve. I remember we had that one turret build for awhile that could spike pretty hard, but in general you had to abuse Expertise for dagger, scythe, sword, or spirit spam to do anything really.

I made some completely ridiculous hero teams in GW1. It took forever to set up, but then I could instagib pretty much any mob in the game. 8 pets, each with Strength of Honor on them, splinter weapon, mark of pain, etc. Just buffed everything to a ridiculous extent so much so that I had to have a necro primary running blood is power just to keep the team from collapsing. Almost zero healing, I think I had one primary ritualist. Zero healing was my jam… I vanquished all of ascalon with 4 (3 heroes) mesmers that didn’t even use a self heal. Man GW1 has some fun replayability.

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Well, I didn’t mind abusing what was after all our primary attribute. I personally loved Expertise, it created build diversity.

Unlike in GW2, where our mechanic mostly creates diversity by being an unreliable mess.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

What i miss from GW1 spirits is their game changing nature. They applied their effects to everyone, friend or foe, changing the rules of the fight for everyone. I bet we’d be more in demand in wvw if we had access to a Frozen Soil spirit that prevented rezzes or made anyone die when downed (including allies, of course).

The current GW2 spirits are just self-destructible banners that you can’t pick up.

EoE Bomb for WvW

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

That depends on the build. Just before GW2 came out (about the time they stopped all balancing), W/A was a big part of a particular farming build (manlyway, I believe it was called).

Sure, my point was simply that we hardly were the worst, at least not in the later years of the game.

I mean, SoO Rangerway is a thing..

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

to bring something fresh and new to this thread – facts – i just say you that one dev already said, shortly after the announcement that the skill we saw in trailer was changed. it is able to be cast while moving and the cast time was halfed i think. everything is changing at an alarming rate. except the ranger community. they never stop crying.

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in Ranger

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I must say, I wondered if they were making rangers last because they were going to include some tweaks to the core ranger as well. One can hope, right?

Maybe… core Necro changes were happening with the Reaper, even now, axe and scepter are having tweaks done. Could have some core Ranger tweaks here and there. There’s enough threads between now and then in which Ireno could have obtained a fair amount of notes.

You might be overstating the axe/scepter somewhat. Robert said that he’d like to look into tweaking them, but that he didn’t have time yet with HoT. In typical Anet speak this is a standard " I can see that you’re not happy and I’d like to get around to addressing this issue in the future, maybe, if I have time and nothing better to do".

Not to be cynical or anything from 3 years of platitudes and few to no fixes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

to bring something fresh and new to this thread – facts – i just say you that one dev already said, shortly after the announcement that the skill we saw in trailer was changed. it is able to be cast while moving and the cast time was halfed i think. everything is changing at an alarming rate. except the ranger community. they never stop crying.

It was a joke…

in Ranger

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

Sure, my point was simply that we hardly were the worst, at least not in the later years of the game.

I was talking about the time between factions and the release of GW2 mostly. I haven’t played the game in a while, so I have no idea what balance is like currently.

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

I was talking about the time between factions and the release of GW2 mostly. I haven’t played the game in a while, so I have no idea what balance is like currently.

Shouldn’t be any different, since they haven’t made any balance changes after GW2 came out (at least, not last time I checked). Also, SoO was in EotN, so that should be during the relevant time period.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

they never stop crying.

To be fair, the ranger class is sort of the neglected child of the classes.

All someone has to do is yell Ranger is OP

1) Short Bow OP
-Nerfed to Hell on Distance/ Damage/ Speed

2) Spirit Rangers OP!
-Spirits Up time nerfed, bonuses nerfed
-Spirits get another round of nerfs
-Trait system comes out and Spirits can no longer walk and seem to have a lot less health

3) Long Bow Ranger OP!!!
-Fixed the line of sight issue (sort of)
-Added a cast time animation on Knock Back
-Updated Knock Back (in my opinion more of a nerf on far distances)
-Moved some of the companion traits around that were used with power ranger

Pets have never been addressed properly… some of the bugs with them still exist even after being “fixed”.

1) Pets are STILL targeted in Fractals by Jade Maw… was apparently “fixed” but never was.

2) Pets still take full agony damage and not the damage you would take with AR resistance… (I have 100 AR and my pet still instant died when the boss spawns)

3) Pets tend to attack even when on passive even though they are suppose to stay close to you. Apparently this was fixed but I noticed Reef Drake and a couple others tend to Yolo way too often….

To my knowledge, there is only one higher up anet employee who plays ranger… and that’s Gaile.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Wolfey.3407)

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Citation needed.

in Ranger

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

E, i cant find this answer, but i am sure a dev mentioned it. I hope u can understand that i dont want to search in maybe over 50 pages of dev tracker for this

wolfey, unprofessional
in my eyes, as a main ranger and just plaing other classes for the pvp tonics, i say most of the nerfs were legit.
Only thing i agree was the movement nerf to spirits. But there is hope that they can fix them to make them balanced and not too strong like in old times.

its not about “lets keep OP things on ranger”, its about making ALL classes balanced.
is now SB unplayable? I think not, its still a solid weapon
Every knockback needs an animation, thats fact, who argues against it, wants their own class to be stronger than others and are not capable of a neutral job as a specialist.
EVERY class got traits moved around, lot of them lost some decent traits or stats (ricochet – thief, boon duration – guard, etc.)

The jade maw is almost to all AI a kittenbag, i mean spirit weapon, phantasms and ele pets are also targets. Is Mes, Ele and Co. neglected by anet? Nope.

I read this forum threads and see the PvP player community and come to a conclusion. Rangers are hated. Not just because of the problems, or old habits of veterans “ranger was always hated, so i continue”, its because we got incredible strong mechanics, are in a good spot now and NEVERTHELESS, rangers cant stop QQing about everything.
Our main problem PvP-wise, is that we have so less group support, it is likely that druid will change this. To be balanced Id say to tone down our 1v1 abilitys
With Spike trap, low CD taunt, high condi cleanse, high uptime on regen, a lot of CC from canines and 2 good invul skills and etc. it is hard to not win fair 1v1.

It is time for rangers to think about tweaks and small changes instead of hard buffs and overhauls.

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

The jade maw is almost to all AI a kittenbag, i mean spirit weapon, phantasms and ele pets are also targets. Is Mes, Ele and Co. neglected by anet? Nope.

Of all AI options, only mesmer and ranger are forced to use them. However, when a a couple of mesmer illusions take hits and die, it doesn’t prevent any illusion summoning for an entire minute. Illusions work because they are completely expendable, so it doesn’t actually matter whether or not they can avoid damage.

I read this forum threads and see the PvP player community and come to a conclusion. Rangers are hated. Not just because of the problems, or old habits of veterans “ranger was always hated, so i continue”, its because we got incredible strong mechanics, are in a good spot now and NEVERTHELESS, rangers cant stop QQing about everything.
Our main problem PvP-wise, is that we have so less group support, it is likely that druid will change this. To be balanced Id say to tone down our 1v1 abilitys
With Spike trap, low CD taunt, high condi cleanse, high uptime on regen, a lot of CC from canines and 2 good invul skills and etc. it is hard to not win fair 1v1.

It is time for rangers to think about tweaks and small changes instead of hard buffs and overhauls.

On those occasions when I play ranger, my pet still flies into a wall for 10 seconds at a time on broken ground (the henge cap point in Niflhel, for example). Pets still get one shotted by many enemies in fractals and some dungeons. The cooldown for swapping after a pet gets downed is still horrendously long. The sword auto attack is quite possibly the only animation-locking weapon skill in the entire game that both prevents dodging and lacks built-in evasion. These are problems that have been serious issues since day 1, and they still aren’t fixed…despite promises that they would be fixed (for the sword and pathing at the very least).

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

There are loads of skills that are in a spot where an overhaul is more needed than just small number tweaks or changes. The spirits and a couple of the shouts are the main offenders. And there are skills that, yes, a few tweaks is good enough, like the greatsword’s Hilt Bash leap (that one isn’t really a matter of tweaking, it’s shorter than intended – unacceptable 3 years into the game) and the autoattacks. Other weapons like the shortbow should in my opinion get an overhaul simply because it promotes boring gameplay, but it would also do with some simple changes.

It is the same with traits. Some are bad, others just need some number tweaking. Marksmanship as en example, where Predator’s Instinct competes as one of the worst traits in the game, and where the minors still function in a way where they need a grandmaster trait to be fully functional (solutions have been presented several times, merge the first two minors, put Precise Strike in the master tier and add some sort of refresh trait that synergizes with the specialization line as an whole without stepping on Remorseless toes – this should have been done with the specialization update).

When introducing traps on the guardian elite spec, the same complaints appeared there as we’ve seen from rangers since the release of the game.

And then there is the pet mechanic. There is no doubt whatsoever that this mechanic can be improved. That doesn’t mean it’s useless, but it got wasted potential and certain lack of player control. Some would say that is putting it nicely.

The ranger is not in a place where mere tweaking is all that is missing. There are legitimate issues that ranger players have been adressing for a long time. And regardless of wether Anet adresses these things or not, it is important that the players make them aware instead of just sitting idle and wait for nothing. And sure, people can do that without QQing, but some of these stuff has been a issue since day one, and at some point people are getting tired of it.

(edited by Lazze.9870)