BWE 3 Daredevil Specialization Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

• Dash – The extra distance has been removed for now as well. Dash now breaks immobilize in addition to its other effects. For now, the animation is just going to run you in the direction

Hate to say it but like many others I preferred the distance on dash. It’s what made it unique. Distance can be applied in many different ways both aggressively and defensively, plus it could have been something that actually allowed P/P builds to work.

I guess not

What about instead of an extra distance traveled we get a knockback to people we cross ? (without damage)

in Thief

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Good to see that you guys are still working on tuning this spec! As others have said losing the extra distance on dash isn’t a good thing. I hope you guys can find a way to make it work before release even if it doesn’t make it into BW3.

Also are you decreasing the cast time of CV from 1s to 3/4s? Don’t know if its a typo or I’m reading it wrong.

(edited by Lyger.5429)

in Thief

Posted by: Driften.8716

Driften.8716

A short update:
We’ve been working heavily on the dodge abilities, making them react the same way that your normal dodge occurs. There have been a lot of long hours, but we managed to get this functionality in for the next beta.

• The ‘Bound’ dodge animation is shorter and more appropriate for a dodge.
  • Dash – The extra distance has been removed for now as well. Dash now breaks immobilize in addition to its other effects. For now, the animation is just going to run you in the direction you’re dodging.
  • Impaling Lotus – The jump has been removed, as it caused issues that couldn’t be remedied. I’ll update if other things happen.

Other things:

• re: Shalien. I haven’t got this in the next beta, but the plan is to drastically reduce the cast time of Channeled Vigor. (3/4 to 1 second or so)
  • Idle/running animations while wielding a staff are not planned to change at this time. There are, however, a couple of animations being worked on as development continues.

-Karl

this basically means Bound is the only dodge worth using on Thief besides the default

To be honest I still prefer Dash. Yea the dmg blow is nice, but a dodge imo is more about survival than damaging. Being able to remove immobile, freeze and cripple with no CD and a swiftness boon sounds alright for me. Only thing that could make this better would be a smoke bomb to blind :p

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

A short update:
We’ve been working heavily on the dodge abilities, making them react the same way that your normal dodge occurs. There have been a lot of long hours, but we managed to get this functionality in for the next beta.

• Dash – The extra distance has been removed for now as well. Dash now breaks immobilize in addition to its other effects. For now, the animation is just going to run you in the direction you’re dodging.
  • Impaling Lotus – The jump has been removed, as it caused issues that couldn’t be remedied. I’ll update if other things happen.

Other things:

• re: Shalien. I haven’t got this in the next beta, but the plan is to drastically reduce the cast time of Channeled Vigor. (3/4 to 1 second or so)
  • Idle/running animations while wielding a staff are not planned to change at this time. There are, however, a couple of animations being worked on as development continues.

-Karl

A reasonable victory. I Thank Mr. Mclain. The most important aspect of the Daredevil seems to have been fixed.

If Idle/running animation are off the table that means, it’s all about combat animations, and that’s good news.

Thank you sir. a little joy never hurts.

edit: Now I wonder if he sees we are being left off, blown away to dust, because that immobilize break surprised me a bit, and that was truly a good call.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

(edited by Kocoff.7582)

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

A short update:

Other things:

-Karl

this basically means Bound is the only dodge worth using on Thief besides the default

Nah anything works in PvE, someone is actively promoting ballerina thieves(no offense just lulz) and if the animation are kept basic AKA no unnecessary air fliping obviously a dagger should still be here for Impaling Lotus but Bound is like Reckless Dodge it won’t be negative.

But yes Dash does no damage and has more utility so that one is certified top.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

A short update:

Other things:

-Karl

To be honest I still prefer Dash. Yea the dmg blow is nice, but a dodge imo is more about survival than damaging. Being able to remove immobile, freeze and cripple with no CD and a swiftness boon sounds alright for me. Only thing that could make this better would be a smoke bomb to blind :p

What about a knockback :p

in Thief

Posted by: Ripkord.8567

Ripkord.8567

Sounds good so far.. but, no traveling distance on Dash? Yeah… change the name also then, cause it wouldnt make sense!

(edited by Ripkord.8567)

in Thief

Posted by: Arlowslol.1974

Arlowslol.1974

-Karl

great! thief dont need that extra distance, it will run out from shadow refuge, run out from our attack, breaking immobilize is GREAT! I love this change!

and the last wish is to bring back the Larcenous Strike in sword/dagger #3, it should be active without hitting someone by using flanking strike…now it was too passive, SD need more ACTIVE! pls karl!

in Thief

Posted by: Karl McLain

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

I will say: We’re still tuning Dash a bit and testing it internally. Thanks for your feedback and initial thoughts on it.

in Thief

Posted by: migal.4230

migal.4230

Honestly the biggest let down for me was the 1 chain attack, i hate the end spin as it feels as if my thief doesn’t know how to wield a staff… i would rather see a STAB STAB instead of a SPIN SPIN.

in Thief

Posted by: LittleAussieMozzie.7425

LittleAussieMozzie.7425

The existing dash was kittening horrid, tbh all of them were… They were not fluent at all and extremely susceptible to lag. I noticed that I would get massive delay just attempting to dodge roll and the fact the dodges would get interrupted?

Everyone who is playing with over like 200 ping would notice it instantly, the existing daredevil dodge rolls would get u killed more then they would save you, Literally the most frustrating experience I ever had.

I am glad these changes are coming as I will now actually use a grandmaster trait while playing DD.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Karl,

While it’s good to hear that the dodges are being tightened up, it’s also the bare minimum that needs to be done for Daredevil to function at all. So many other issues with Daredevil—let alone core Thief—have yet to even be acknowledged…

Since you seem to be in a mood to discuss the dodges, can you give us the dev-team’s reasoning as to why Daredevil should be the only elite specialization that sacrifices an entire trait tier to unlock its elite mechanic? Just because it’s late in development and that’s how the dodges were prototyped internally doesn’t mean we should have to settle for less than what everyone else gets.

Obviously, this means you’d have to design new Grandmaster traits in a hurry due to the HoT release date rapidly approaching. If you need feedback on what would make a good set of real Grandmaster traits for the Daredevil, ask us. Right now, people are delivering all kinds of useful feedback on things it seems you don’t want feedback on, resulting in those people having wasted their time.

So tell us, Karl… what is it you want to hear from us? Do you care about feedback on anything but the dodges and the latest planned adjustments? Help us understand so we can stop wasting our time delivering feedback that isn’t wanted.

(edited by Amante.8109)

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

So does this mean Dash will still use the Warrior GS animation but now shorter?
Cant imagine this will look anything but clunky and juddery which is a shame since thief dodge looks so nice usually.
Cant you just make it a shadowstep for the old distance? One that’s instant but add 3/4 sec evade during and after?
A shadowstep would fit better with some existing thief sets and not be as likely to launch you off cliffs..

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Let the Dev breathe guys. Let him keep the momentum from the positive feedback. I know we all got very important questions to ask him ranging from animations to core traits, and he does seem to be in a formidable mood today. I just wouldn’t want to risk this.
I will save my questions for another time.

Keep up the good work sir and have a nice day!

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I actually think dash a positive step as it will make the thief that selects it so very mobile. The added distance will be missed and I would hope it can be integrated back into the dash itself while keeping the immob break.

I doubt we will see this all completed by launch date but am a patient sort. As long as we get regular updates on what happens behind the scene I can handle it.

I really do not think a dev should respond to each and every query. That simply generates more follow-up questions from multiple people asking for clarification or to consider an alternative. The dev will end up spending all of his time here.

What would be nice though is if a short summary of what goes on posted on a regular basis as in every second Wednesday or some such. This would also serve to trim down the number of posts that a dev has to wade through so is a win win as far as I am concerned.

in Thief

Posted by: Dari Kun.2370

Dari Kun.2370

Hey, so first off I’m new to using the forums. Is this the place that I should come to deliver direct feedback to the devs?

I’m pretty happy with what you’re doing with the thief overall and a lot of my concerns during the last beta have been addressed.

The only thing that really makes me sad is that fact that you don’t seem to be willing, or perhaps able to do anything about the idle/running animations on the staff right now. Hopefully the same isn’t true for the combat animations.

I’ve noticed a few people saying that the 4 skill seems like it’s missing something and it’s not a desirable skill and now that i think on it they might have a point. People have suggested just making it a player-based aoe like the pistol 5 instead of shooting the dust out in a line. I actually like the fact that it blinds in front of the player, but I do agree that the skill seems to need something more. I have two suggestions.
1.) This is one small change that I think should SERIOUSLY be considered. Change the way we use it to be an aoe that we can aim in the same way we aim the brick road skill on the revenant (very good job on that btw). The skill 4 already hits multiple enemies so why not give us more control over where we aim it?

2.) Add a little bit of stealth when we activate the skill. The Daredevil has almost literally no way to enter stealth without “Shadow Arts” or the heal skill. I feel that it kind of needs it, (though that may just be because I currently use stealth a LOT when I fight and not having a way to stealth really hinders my play style :P) I suppose I don’t have a very strong argument for this one, but I do thinks it’s worth considering.

Keep up the good work, Anet.
Also, if I’m in the wrong place, please let me know.

Officer Dari of “Those Who Whisper Fire”

in Thief

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

Thank you for finally addressing that the animations will see change. i am not going to lie it is saddening to hear dash loses its distance BUT you also said “for now” many times regiardlng the distance and animation so I am ok with this. I guess the only thing left is that I hope you guys add a new animation for impaling lotus and that te idle and run animations see change before launch with the other new animations, or even after launch if you need te time. I don’t care to wait so long as it’s is actually happening. Over all thanks a lot for addressing these changes it means allot I have renewed hope for the class.

in Thief

Posted by: Karl McLain

Previous

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Next

Cant imagine this will look anything but clunky and juddery which is a shame since thief dodge looks so nice usually.
Cant you just make it a shadowstep for the old distance? One that’s instant but add 3/4 sec evade during and after?
A shadowstep would fit better with some existing thief sets and not be as likely to launch you off cliffs..

Dash, right now, is no longer the greatsword charge and will just run you in whichever direction you desire, while evading. As indicated, it’s in flux!

As for a shadowstep dodge: It’s not really in-theme for the daredevil, being a more of a physical-moving type of specialization. We’ve definitely talked about it internally. Here’s some of the collective thoughts on it:
Theory-wise, if we were to implement Shadowstep in lieu of dodge, you more than likely wouldn’t get any evade frames attached to it, being as it’s instant movement… Unless there’s a cast time to it. Typically with dodge-roll design, you’re only allowed to evade so long as you don’t have control. Example: stand in place and evade while ‘charging’ your shadowstep, or begin a dodge and get a few evade frames, then again when you land at the spot. In addition, there’s many areas in the game where you’d want to move the distance (I.E. standing on top of a rock), but simply couldn’t move at all because there’s no valid path and the shadowstep would fail.

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Dash, right now, is no longer the greatsword charge and will just run you in whichever direction you desire, while evading. As indicated, it’s in flux!

As for a shadowstep dodge: It’s not really in-theme for the daredevil, being a more of a physical-moving type of specialization. We’ve definitely talked about it internally. Here’s some of the collective thoughts on it:
Theory-wise, if we were to implement Shadowstep in lieu of dodge, you more than likely wouldn’t get any evade frames attached to it, being as it’s instant movement… Unless there’s a cast time to it. Typically with dodge-roll design, you’re only allowed to evade so long as you don’t have control. Example: stand in place and evade while ‘charging’ your shadowstep, or begin a dodge and get a few evade frames, then again when you land at the spot. In addition, there’s many areas in the game where you’d want to move the distance (I.E. standing on top of a rock), but simply couldn’t move at all because there’s no valid path and the shadowstep would fail.

I wouldn’t want a shadow step as a dodge with this strict “no valid path” rule set in place unless you guess are thinking about reverting it (maybe just for the dodge?)

also

you’re only allowed to evade so long as you don’t have control

don’t let a ranger hear you say that

in Thief

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

wow!!! I am happy to see Karl here.

in Thief

Amante.8109

The Shadowstep Dodge is a very cool idea, but as mentioned it doesn’t slot up with the “physical” theme of the Daredevil spec. If we ever get a core Thief revamp, it’d make a nice Shadow Arts trait (THAT could be GM worthy).

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

you’re only allowed to evade so long as you don’t have control

Going back to this quote….. What about death blossom ?

in Thief

Posted by: Syviren.7086

Syviren.7086

I want my death blossom animation!!! I LOVED that! I would use it even if i didn’t want the extra attacks!

in Thief

Amante.8109

I’ll miss that animation too, but if the choice comes down to cool animation or smooth dodge, I’ll take the smooth dodge.

On that note, one animation that could be recycled for Impaling Lotus would be a SUPER SHORT version of the spinning animation from Whirling Axe/Dagger Storm. Which is to say, you would do a 300 unit whirl in the direction of your choice that throws daggers.

(edited by Amante.8109)

in Thief

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

In light of this, the need for Escapist’s Absolution becoming baseline is something which needs to be stressed further.

edit: Also, has the reduction in Dash distance resulted in a loss of evade frames?

edit#2: Why don’t you consider removing the swiftness from Dash, that belongs to Expedious Dodger, and instead bake Escapist’s Absolution into it? So it’ll remove the movement-impairing conditions but also have a chance to remove an actually damaging condition if you manage to evade with it?

This will prevent Daredevil from stepping on Acrobatics toes a little bit more, and also allow you to either cook up a new Major trait or allow a Daredevil to doublestack EA and Dash to have a greater focus on condi cleanse?

The issue with EA as-is is that it’s the only access we have on Daredevil to a reliable way to shed conditions. Baking it into Dash will make it a desirable dodge to take and make people actually consider if they wanna use it or Bound.

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]

(edited by Cyrus.4105)

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

In light of this, the need for Escapist’s Absolution becoming baseline is something which needs to be stressed further.

edit: Also, has the reduction in Dash distance resulted in a loss of evade frames?

edit#2: Why don’t you consider removing the swiftness from Dash, that belongs to Expedious Dodger, and instead bake Escapist’s Absolution into it? So it’ll remove the movement-impairing conditions but also have a chance to remove an actually damaging condition if you manage to evade with it?

This will prevent Daredevil from stepping on Acrobatics toes a little bit more, and also allow you to either cook up a new Major trait or allow a Daredevil to doublestack EA and Dash to have a greater focus on condi cleanse?

The issue with EA as-is is that it’s the only access we have on Daredevil to a reliable way to shed conditions. Baking it into Dash will make it a desirable dodge to take and make people actually consider if they wanna use it or Bound.

There will be no options all will ignore the other two if Dash gets EA(just look at SE even if nerfed) except if you are in PvE since I haven’t seen or know of real condition mobs there and anything works there.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I don’t know. I mean, having the dodges work more fluidly is important, but it sounds like anything interesting is being removed from them too. I liked the hop on Lotus, the distance on Dash. No word about the ability to swap dodges without having to open the Hero Panel? It just sounds like we’re getting nerfs here, or at best “we’ve made things less broken by taking away anything that made them better than the default.” Where is the sizzle, where is the excitement? Where is the “this is why you should LOVE the Daredevil,” rather than “this is why we think you probably won’t mind the Daredevil too much. . .”

I do want to say that I do NOT want a shadowstep dodge, at least not on the Daredevil. Maybe some other build, later.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

(edited by Ohoni.6057)

in Thief

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

I may be the only one saying this, but I’m still going to say it, this made me really sad. I felt so kitten zipping around throwing daggers at people. It was the main thing that made me enjoy Daredevil.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I may be the only one saying this, but I’m still going to say it, this made me really sad. I felt so kitten zipping around throwing daggers at people. It was the main thing that made me enjoy Daredevil.

Not the only one as I sort of liked the animation myself and since I was using d/d and it looked so much like DB it did confuse the enemy.

in Thief

Posted by: Bllade.1029

Bllade.1029

These changes are certainly in the right direction.

Now that Dash removes immobilize; I wonder if Staff 3: Debilitating Arc will keep it’s immobilize removal?

[VLK] – No one ever complains about bad Thieves, they die.

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Thank you for communicating. Whether we like the changes or not, I think we all appreciate the feedback.

Questions:
Is there no way we can get monkey king animations?

Will we be getting the extra distance back on dash? Kinda doesn’t live up to it’s name otherwise.

Can we get an acro update so it fills its own niche?

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

Is there no way we can get monkey king animations?

Not to put words in his mouth, but they can’t just “transplant” the monkey King animations to the player models. They could give them to us, but what you ask is no easier than saying “could you give us the animations I saw in this kungkittenmovie?” They would still have to reanimate them for each character by hand.

Will we be getting the extra distance back on dash? Kinda doesn’t live up to it’s name otherwise.

Maybe Dash could provide Super Speed instead of Swiftness? Engineers certainly get tons of Super Speed (and better Stealth than any Thief).

Can we get an acro update so it fills its own niche?

Maybe they could look in the “History” section of the Wiki. The Acro traits in the history from about six months ago were WAY better than the junk we have now.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

You are a good man Karl, I am liking the work you are putting in thus far.

in Thief

Amante.8109

Maybe Dash could provide Super Speed instead of Swiftness? Engineers certainly get tons of Super Speed (and better Stealth than any Thief).

This is an interesting idea. For those who don’t know, Super Speed functions like Swiftness, except your speed can’t be reduced for any reason for its duration (i.e., you move +33% instead of +25% in combat and cripple/chill has no effect).

This would be a good fit for Dash’s design of being a quick burst of mobility that can help the Daredevil disengage from a sticky situation. It would also help to keep Expeditious Dodger in the Acrobatics line relevant (although that minor should provide more than two seconds of Swiftness if you want it to be useful).

(edited by Amante.8109)

in Thief

Posted by: HidingCat.4037

HidingCat.4037

It’s nice to know they heard. I’m still mostly let down by the staff animations, so hopefully this means they’ve acknowledged that. Next is that they work on it eventually.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodwine.6450

Bloodwine.6450

Why don’t you consider removing the swiftness from Dash

How bout NO!!

Why are you making suggestions to remove even more things from the dodges? Swiftness is partly what makes Dash what it is, allowing Thieves access to perma swiftness through the use of dodging is one of the things im looking forward to the most with DD, removing the staple of Signet of Shadows or Traveler runes is godly for players like me who cant live without the run speed.

If Karl even considers removing Swiftness from Dash, that will kill it for me. Lets stop with those suggestions please.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

Agreed on removing swiftness from dash. It’s main point is now to either break immobilize without initiative and grant the ability to gfto through swiftness. Honestly, I don’t want the F3 through f5 dodge select. I want these grand master physical dodge training traits honed in and hard to select between. Right now, it doesn’t feel like dash is there. Bounding Dodge was fun in the first beta but hard to hit with. Removing the leap from impaling lotus makes me a little sad, but that hopefully clears up the animation error causing extra stuff to be consumed.

in Thief

Amante.8109

Honestly, I don’t want the F3 through f5 dodge select. I want these grand master physical dodge training traits honed in and hard to select between.

Or we could have actual Grandmaster traits and instead choose our dodge from a drop-down box, much like how Revenant Legends work…

in Thief

Posted by: Silverbolt.2301

Silverbolt.2301

Wow, I went from being impressed to sorely disappointed between your last updates and these.

It’s almost like you took everyone’s amazing suggestions, and then ignored every single one of them, except the ones that would be simply fixing what’s already plainly broken…the evasion skills.

I hope you realize that, at its current iteration, this e-spec will fail at an epic proportion, compared to the other classes’ (I’m sure druid will be better too at this point). In no shape or form will this e-spec be able to overshadow the current weapon sets. I don’t need to repeat why, because numerous people (myself included) have already talked about this numerous times.

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodwine.6450

Bloodwine.6450

Agreed on NOT removing swiftness from dash. It’s main point is now to either break immobilize without initiative and grant the ability to gfto through swiftness.

Corrected this for you as I’m assuming that’s what you meant.

in Thief

Posted by: blarghhrrkblah.3412

blarghhrrkblah.3412

Wow, I went from being impressed to sorely disappointed between your last updates and these.

It’s almost like you took everyone’s amazing suggestions, and then ignored every single one of them, except the ones that would be simply fixing what’s already plainly broken…the evasion skills.

I hope you realize that, at its current iteration, this e-spec will fail at an epic proportion, compared to the other classes’ (I’m sure druid will be better too at this point). In no shape or form will this e-spec be able to overshadow the current weapon sets. I don’t need to repeat why, because numerous people (myself included) have already talked about this numerous times.

What is wrong with fixing broken skills? Making the class feel fluid and fun to play is going to be more important than it’s performance in a game mode. Once everything is working properly, then they can focus on looking at our changes, but for now I think they have the right priorities. Besides, there is nothing “simple” about fixing animations and functionality. That stuff is so much more than just a number that needs tweaking.

in Thief

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

In regards to the difficulties the team seems to be having I think I have a valuable solution. I imagined dash functioning exactly the same, and just as fluidly as withdraw only it would function in any direction like the dodge rolls. If it functions like withdraw, it can then retain its elongated dodge value it had just without the clunk. I imagine it would not be too difficult to use a static pose for the animation for the dash forward and then a separate pose for the dash backward. These static poses however would be coated with a few cool effects so they would not feel stale. Please get back to me on how you feel about this as it took me quite some time to come up with. I would love to hear your feedback. Here is a picture I made demonstrating what I mean by my statement. I hope others agree.

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.5904

Fade.5904

Thanks for the reply Karl but i’m not sure i understand what you’re saying correctly re cast times and travel distance. How would shadow stepping from point a to b differ from ‘warrior gs run’ from point a -b aside from it being instant. As for the evade frames i thought something like Evasive Mirror from mesmer traits, you do the instant Shadwstep and then get the evade frames with a blur like effect.

Also DD is only one trait line in thief and staff only one weapon set, so you have access to several weapon swap sets that do have shadowsteps, sb sd sp pd dp so i cant see how adding a shadowstep would break the feel of DD.

Anyway, good luck with implementing whatever you guys decide.

in Thief

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

Removing the distance from dash makes it really subpar.
Even if you don’t reduce the distance Bounding Dodger will be meta, and removing immobilize is close to worthless, because as a thief this condition doesn’t bother you much.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

What is wrong with fixing broken skills? Making the class feel fluid and fun to play is going to be more important than it’s performance in a game mode. Once everything is working properly, then they can focus on looking at our changes, but for now I think they have the right priorities. Besides, there is nothing “simple” about fixing animations and functionality. That stuff is so much more than just a number that needs tweaking.

Well, the problem I’m feeling is that they basically said “Here’s the Daredevil, and here’s all the stuff that’s cool with it.” And the response was like “. . . ok, but you’re going to need to spice that up a bit.”

And then we had a beta, and everyone played with it a bit, and said “well, the staff needs some work, the animations are bad, and the dodges don’t work quite right, and you still need to add quite a bit on top of what is currently here for it to compete with the other Elite specs. This is a ‘4,’ we need like a ‘7,’ minimum.”

Then they tweaked around behind the scenes, and so far their response is “we got the dodges working almost as good as they are in the vanilla class! They are less of a hindrance than they were before, but in exchange we removed anything particularly fun or special about them too!”

No, unacceptable. Now it’s down to a “3,” or at best held even as a “4.” They should fix those dodges, yes, but they should also either leave in all the cool effects they had, OR replace them with something better. The Daredevil is incredibly boring in its current design, almost indistinguishable from the vanilla build, and is doubly painful because they Crippled the Acrobatics tree to make room for it, and it still doesn’t even properly replace the original Acrobatics.

If HoT came out with an elite spec that was “Thieves from Three Years ago,” one with full range Shortbow, Ricochet on Pistols, proper Feline Grace and fall damage trait on Acrobatics, etc., and we could choose between that or Daredevil, I would choose the “Original Thief” spec on BOTH my Thieves, no hesitation. And yes, “Thief from Three Years Ago” would make for a better spec name.

And keep in mind, this is from a Dodge-spec Thief, currently slotted with Runes of Evasion, who has been wanting a melee staff option for ages (although ideally on the Warrior), so everything about the idea of the Daredevil should have been right up my alley, were the execution not so very lacking.

I don’t blame any one designer for this, it’s a team effort, but they should have had their ducks in a row on this months ago. They should not be roughly a month away from launch and going “you know those unique dodges we were trying to do and that were the unique mechanic of the class, taking up THREE trait slots? Apparently they don’t actually work at all, so we’re reverting them to just be the original dodges with some boons added on. Revenant is getting their own dodge though.”

I might still end up making my main a Daredevil. I already have all the points I need to unlock it, and it does add a few things to the hacked up mess that is the current Thief, but it’s just such a tortured road to get here, and it’s more out of exhaustion than enthusiasm. I’m actually seriously considering waiting until my Revenant is able to enter the jungle to start on that content, becaue the Revenant is super fun, or maybe pull my Necro out of mothballs to play as a Reaper, or perhaps my Engi who I haven’t yet bothered fully kitting out, because my two mains, my Thief and Guardian, have just been so thoroughly ignored by this elite spec process.

How does this happen, when you’ve had three years to work on the idea of an elite spec?

done by now.”

(edited by Ohoni.6057)

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

Please get back to me on how you feel about this as it took me quite some time to come up with. I would love to hear your feedback. Here is a picture I made demonstrating what I mean by my statement. I hope others agree.

I like it well enough, although they’d also need one each for left and right dodges (diagonals could just use one of the other directional poses).

done by now.”

in Thief

Amante.8109

Without a doubt, the replacement dodges are the big “wow” selling point of the elite specialization. The problem is that the expansion is now less than a month away and the bedrock of Daredevil, the very foundation of it is just now starting to get tightened up to where it should have been before the whole thing was even revealed.

Many people have observed that Daredevil feels like it was hastily thrown together, and they aren’t wrong. Everything about it reeks of a rush job: an elite mechanic that doesn’t interact with the core profession mechanic, a whole tier of traits pointlessly sacrificed to unlock that mechanic, a name, weapon, and lack of internal cohesion that suggests a lack of vision for the specialization itself, and so on.

Daredevil feels like a first-pass internal prototype someone came up with 6 months ago. Where is the ongoing iteration into something visibly more interesting and fun? Where is the two-way communication with players that is leading to meaningful gains for other elite specializations? Where is the love and passion for Daredevil and Thief at large?

Wherever it is, it’s not in the elite specialization design or the level of engagement we’re getting from its lead developer.

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Shadowstep dodge: no pls, there will be a lot of complaints about it, and too many limitations.
New Dash: it is great. Remove immobilize on dodge is really powerful, and the normal distance will allow it in SR. +60 range is not enough to really escape but enough to break refuge dodge.
About animation: can we have our blur effect while dodging?

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

A short update:

Other things:

-Karl

Can I just say a big thank you to you Karl, for keeping us up to date with your progress. We really appreciate it.

And I am glad to see the dodge anims are coming along. Looking forward to seeing what the final version of Dash will be like. And I cannot wait to try the improved bound.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in Thief

Posted by: Afro King.8194

Afro King.8194

A short update:

Removing the extra distance is a pretty good idea, as it felt more like a burden than anything else (Not being able to dodge in shadow refuge…).
Having a strong counter against immobilize, cripple and chill is already insanely strong, honestly.