Weapon: Off-hand Sword
Utility Skills: Stances
Mechanic: Gains new Combination Attacks and Weapon Finishers that can pull off powerful combos if executed within specific timeframes.
The Duelist is an expert combatant that thrives on momentum. Once an opening presents itself, these ruthless opportunists will move in for the kill, throwing everything they’ve got at their unfortunate target.
During specific conditions, the Duelist gets the prompt to press F (or whichever key interact is bound to) in order to start up a Combination Attack. The window for this is extremely small, which is why F is used for ease-of-access. However, F3-F5 (Default) can also be used for this purpose.
- Lift Combination – Can be triggered when a targeted enemy is Dazed, Stunned, Feared, Taunted, Knocked, Launched, Sunk or Floated. Shadowstep to the targeted enemy and leave them Vulnerable them with a precise strike, before Launching them upwards into the Air.
- Pin Combination – Can be triggered when a targeted enemy misses an attack as a result of Blindness. Pin them to the ground with a precise dagger toss, Immobilizing them, before Shadowstepping to their position and Weakening them with a Body Blow.
- Setup Combination – Can be triggered when the Duelist gains Stealth. Dash through your target, dealing no Damage but Blinding and Crippling them.
Each Combination has its own unique Cooldown of 20s. Activating a Combination Attack is always instant, cancelling any other action or aftercast of the previous skill. However, it’s not much of a Combo Attack without a Finisher! Whenever a Combination attack has successfully hit its target, the Duelist can finish it off with a new Weapon Finisher skill that occupies their 1st skill slot for a second after being triggered, but can also be activated by pressing F again. This Finisher move cannot be activated if the Combination Attack is blocked, dodged or otherwise evaded. The Weapon Finisher varies depending on which weapon is currently used in the Main-Hand slot:
- Dagger: Helm Splitter – Leap into the Air and Descend with a powerful strike that leaves the target enemy Vulnerable. Evades while leaping. Acts as a Leap Finisher.
- Sword/Spear: Thin Air – Sweep your blade in an arc, sending out a powerful Shockwave that Cripples enemies struck and destroys Projectiles.
- Pistol: Twisting Shot – Fire a twisting bullet that spirals around the target, striking and Bleeding them several times over a short duration.
- Shortbow/Harpoon Gun: Parting Gift – Leap away from your target, firing down an Immobilizing Arrow. After a short delay the Arrow Explodes, Bleeding and Blinding enemies around them. Acts as a Projectile Finisher. Acts as a Blast Finisher.
Any Combination Attack can be followed up with either Weapon Finisher. Each Finisher has a Cooldown of their own at 5s. However, by swapping Weapons through the Combo, the Duelist can pull off some real wacky Combos if they’ve got the flair and build for it.
Because Revenants aren’t the only ones who want to be Shiro knock-offs!
Jokes aside, the Duelist has a very peculiar approach to using a secondary sword on their person. They don’t draw it in tandem with their other weapon, but leave it in the scabbard for when they feel they need it.
The Off-hand sword offers them a venue to AoE Cripple and an Initiative-based Block-skill, however like their Combination Attacks it’s all about timing. If they time it wrong, the Duelist is punished by heavy and long aftercast frames.
- Sweeping Strike – Draw your off-hand sword and spin around, Damaging and Crippling up to 5 enemies around you. Initiative Cost: 4. Acts as a Whirl Finisher.
- Flash of the Blade – Draw your off-hand sword for a split second, Blocking attacks and Dazing (1/4s) nearby enemies, while Reflecting Projectiles. Initiative Cost: 6.
Note: Flash of the Blade only blocks attacks for about 1/4s, but its activation time is nigh instant.
The Dual Wield attacks gained from the Sword are widely varied depending on the main-hand weapon, designed to bridge the gap between the Main-hand and Off-hand in terms of gameplay.
- Sword: Sword Dancer – Twirl both blades around, becoming Immobile while Damaging all nearby enemies in a flurry of steel. Evade attacks while channeling. Initiative Cost: 5.
- Dagger: Shadow Tag -> Shadow Pursuit – Hurl your Blade at the target Area, Damaging and Crippling enemies within for a short time. Activate again to Shadowstep to the Target Area and Gain Stealth. Initiative cost (Tag): 3. Initiative Cost (Pursuit): 3.
- Pistol: Dirty Fighting – Draw your blade and wreak up a Blinding cloud of Smoke in front of you, acting as a Smoke Field. Proceed to then Unload your gun through the cloud, Bleeding enemies struck with each Bullet. Initiative Cost: 5.