Meta Build 1v1 Matchup Chart Project 8/12/13

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

Why: to increase knowledge of the community about the capability of meta builds and facilitate team creation, strategic decision making, and a healthy competitive environment. 1v1 capability matters significantly despite this being a team game. In conquest you have 3 capture points and only 5 players. While good teams will maximize number advantages and create mismatches, 1v1 scenarios are nonetheless quite common and a strong determining factor in team composition. In game tactics can also be improved by good knowledge of the matchups i.e. “a spirit ranger is capping our close node, who should we send to deal with them?” When creating a meta composition, you need to consider the ability of any given class to hold their own in a 1v1 against the other popular builds.

What: a table that lists all the possible profession matchups and the expected result for the most popular meta builds. Over time, the table could be expanded to include multiple builds for some professions. The table contains the expected result of the matchup using symbols:

Up arrow – advantage to the class in the corresponding column
Left arrow – advantage to the class in the corresponding row
Two headed arrow – even match. Either class has a reasonable chance of winning this fight depending on things such as timing of long-cooldown abilities, use of evades, positioning, etc.
Infinity – stalemate. This fight is expected to last for a period of at least 60 seconds, after which time a 1v1 is likely to be disrupted by help from teammates.

A noted caveat of these results is that I expect the fight to happen on or around a node. If one class only survives by repeatedly disengaging and cannot force a neutralization, I consider that a loss. If they can force the enemy off the point and keep it neutral for at least 60 seconds even if it requires disengage/stealth I would consider that a stalemate.

Also, in these hypothetical matchups we must assume both players have a high and equal skill level.

Lastly the meta builds I have included in the chart stem from observations in casted tournament play and teams playing at the ~top 200 leaderboard level. Many of them I pulled from http://mistpedia.net/index.php/All_Builds

Who: I will try to keep this matchup list up to date with changes in the meta and community feedback. I need your help! I encourage people to post in this thread their thoughts on particular matchups. I do not play every class and probably am wrong about some of the matchups (and perhaps some of the builds!). I would very much appreciate your expertise via discussion in this thread.

How: Please state in your post clearly which matchup you are discussing and what the expected outcome is (i.e. “Ele v Mesmer is advantage Ele because…” or “Ranger v Guard is even match not stalemate because…). Also if you think a build I have not included is the new meta build, please explain/link the build and the results of the matchups with the other builds in the chart (including the old meta build for that profession). This thread should NOT be the place to discuss balance, or how x profession is too strong in 1v1. If you have ideas for how traits/skills/utilities should be patched in order to change the outcome of a matchup, please make a separate thread. I think we can have some great discussions here and I will use the collected feedback on individual matchups to update the chart accordingly.

The chart and builds are current below as of 8/12/13

Attachments:

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Kavia.8249)

in PvP

Kavia.8249

Change log 8/12/13:

kit engi vs. condi necro – even match -> advantage necro
kit engi vs. shatter mesmer – advantage mesmer -> even match
burst ele vs. evade thief – advantage thief -> even match
spirit rang vs. condi necro – advantage necro -> even match
spirit rang vs. stance war – advantage warrior -> even match
spirit rang vs. burst ele – stalemate -> advantage ranger

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

(edited by Kavia.8249)

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Good concept.

One correction: Necromancers shouldn’t ever lose to engineers.

in PvP

Kavia.8249

Thanks for the feedback! In a few days with more responses I can make an updated chart that may change the results for necro v engineer. Anybody else have thoughts on this matchup?

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

I’d say that Stance warrior is weaker than Zerker Stance, Sig of Stamina, and Dolyak Sig. I say this because Endure Pain is largely useless in such a Condi-Heavy Meta. Signet of Stamina makes the warrior even stronger vs Necros and Engis.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

A good condition Necromancer should never lose to a condition Engineer. It would be to due to substantial errors on the Necromancer’s part if the Engineer wins.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Rangers should not lose to stance Warriors. The spirit actives play a key role in that match up but if you are aiming high level then Rangers should win.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Kavia.8249

I’d say that Stance warrior is weaker than Zerker Stance, Sig of Stamina, and Dolyak Sig. I say this because Endure Pain is largely useless in such a Condi-Heavy Meta. Signet of Stamina makes the warrior even stronger vs Necros and Engis.

The version I saw used Berserker’s, Balanced, and Frenzy. You’re probably right that balanced and dolyak could be interchanged, and then you just have to choose between frenzy or sig of stamina – I doubt the choice significantly affects the matchups. Frenzy probably helps the warrior vs other glass cannons to burst them down faster during the stun, but sig of stam helps vs. condi. I think berskerker’s + cleansing ire + lyssa runes already do a fine job vs condi for most cases.

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Kavia.8249

Rangers should not lose to stance Warriors. The spirit actives play a key role in that match up but if you are aiming high level then Rangers should win.

Do you think the warrior could stalemate it 60+ seconds? My impression is that spirit rangers kill slowly, especially against a warrior with good cleanses (cleansing ire).

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Ooooooooooo

If you know anything about me from the thief forums, then this should be my exact type of thing.

However, if any of you are coming here to give some kind of crappy subjective advice, please don’t.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

Oh, I see what this is…

Rather than comparing a set limit of builds, what if…

We actually created a spreadsheet where you could enter in two different builds across two different (or the same, I suppose) professions and compare them?

Somebody’s gonna call me crazy.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

Until then, lemme just say a few things…

- Burst ele versus bunker guard should probably be a win in the ele’s favor. Unless I’ve got something horribly wrong, burst eles use/should be using a zerker amulet. As offensive stats scale better than defensive ones, that would suggest that, in theory, a zerker ele should be able to defeat a bunker guard. The same also goes for Evade Thief vs Bunker.

- For evade thief versus condi necro, if you just looked at the meta, I’d say that the thief should win, assuming he’s running zerker (otherwise it’s a tossup). Pretty much a lot of the same reasons as above, and the fact that condis don’t scale quite as well as direct damage does, etc.

I’ll continue adding more input as I think of more things.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

Standard GS Mace Shield is 0/10/30/0/30 or 0/20/20/0/30

I also don’t agree with a number of the matchups for Warriors.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

- Burst ele versus bunker guard should probably be a win in the ele’s favor. Unless I’ve got something horribly wrong, burst eles use/should be using a zerker amulet. As offensive stats scale better than defensive ones, that would suggest that, in theory, a zerker ele should be able to defeat a bunker guard. The same also goes for Evade Thief vs Bunker.

- For evade thief versus condi necro, if you just looked at the meta, I’d say that the thief should win, assuming he’s running zerker (otherwise it’s a tossup). Pretty much a lot of the same reasons as above, and the fact that condis don’t scale quite as well as direct damage does, etc.

nah too many blocks on the guard for an ele to actually land anything, especially if the guardian is half decent and can dodge the fire grabs

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

Warriors hard counter Spirit Rangers right now. That is not an opinion. That is a fact.

in PvP

Lopez.7369

Thanks for the feedback! In a few days with more responses I can make an updated chart that may change the results for necro v engineer. Anybody else have thoughts on this matchup?

Let me elaborate a bit since I was in a rush before: Engineers simply have way too little condition removal. Against a typical engineer with bombs, grenades and Elixir R, I can freely spam my attacks and fears and never worry about any of them getting dispelled. If the engineer’s trait converts some of the conditions into boons upon application, I can just Corrupt Boon.

Even when fighting an engineer with Automated Response, my leftover conditions can usually finish them off. If not, all I have to do is go into Death Shroud and Life Blast a few times to win.

in PvP

Arganthium.5638

nah too many blocks on the guard for an ele to actually land anything, especially if the guardian is half decent and can dodge the fire grabs

That’s true, I guess I didn’t think about the fact that a lot of ele damage might come from individual high-damage attacks rather than attacks in general. I guess that’s the difference between DPS/GC builds and burst builds, though.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

Did someone just say warriors hard counter spirit rangers…….

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

Please for the love of god be joking. If your not may the gods have mercy on your senseless mind <3

in PvP

BurrTheKing.8571

Yes, because they are.

Please for the love of god be joking. If your not may the gods have mercy on your senseless mind <3

I can beat them, but it’s certainly not the one sided slaughter I have vs Necros and Engis. With all their blinds and evades I have to use my skills perfectly or things get bad really quick. Hammer is actually good vs them because even if you miss the Ranger you’ll stun the spirits which is helpful.

Just an angry old man…

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

Anyone who knows anything about PvP right now will tell you that Warriors counter Spirit Rangers. You either don’t PvP much so you wouldn’t really know, or you’re a little new to the game so you’re low ranked and not as experienced with the intricacies of the profession mechanics… that’s me saying in a nice way that you’re probably just bad.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

I can beat them, but it’s certainly not the one sided slaughter I have vs Necros and Engis. With all their blinds and evades I have to use my skills perfectly or things get bad really quick. Hammer is actually good vs them because even if you miss the Ranger you’ll stun the spirits which is helpful.

Yes you can beat them if they aren’t that good. A good spirit ranger should never lose to a warrior 1v1 if anything stalemate them. If warriors are so good against spirit rangers why aren’t we seeing any warriors in tpvp?

in PvP

Lopez.7369

Isn’t the entire point of warriors right now in the metagame to counter spirit rangers, condition necromancers and engineers?

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

Anyone who knows anything about PvP right now will tell you that Warriors counter Spirit Rangers. You either don’t PvP much so you wouldn’t really know, or you’re a little new to the game so you’re low ranked and not as experienced with the intricacies of the profession mechanics… that’s me saying in a nice way that you’re probably just bad.

I think you are playing your ranger wrong if warriors are hard countering you.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Isn’t the entire point of warriors right now in the metagame to counter spirit rangers, condition necromancers and engineers?

Yes. He is just a bad player.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Obviously, that is why tpvp teams consist of 2 warriors.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

This explains your lack of knowledge on the subject

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

Well, I main on a Mesmer… but I play most of the professions competitively.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

I’m speechless. A comment like this doesn’t deserve a response. I’m ashamed of myself.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

Spirit rangers who are decent at their class shouldnt be getting hard countered by warriors. Either you played a warrior and owned some extremely bad spirit rangers or you were playing a spirit ranger didnt understand the class and lost to some warriors. Either way i am not sinking down to your level and calling someone else bad. It looks very childish to everyone reading this thread.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

Spirit rangers who are decent at their class shouldnt be getting hard countered by warriors. Either you played a warrior and owned some extremely bad spirit rangers or you were playing a spirit ranger didnt understand the class and lost to some warriors. Either way i am not sinking down to your level and calling someone else bad. It looks very childish to everyone reading this thread.

Maybe I should rephrase. A good Warrior -should- counter a good Spirit Ranger 1v1. Spirit Rangers bring more to a team fight however.

in PvP

Derps.7421

I’m speechless. A comment like this doesn’t deserve a response. I’m ashamed of myself.

sigh i didnt think i needed to do this but
S A R C A S A M
noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

Maybe I should rephrase. A good Warrior -should- counter a good Spirit Ranger 1v1. Spirit Rangers bring more to a team fight however.

Maybe I should rephrase. You do not know what you are talking about. A Spirit ranger and a warrior at the same skill level will end with the spirit ranger winning

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Hey Kavia, great post. About time we had a decent matchup thread to see where classes actually stand tier-wise.

I would just like to ask though, what sort of situation are we looking at? In an open field/free to kite or run around wherever and discussing just combat? Or attempting to capture a node, and where node capture means advantage?

If it is not free roaming/combat-focused tier list, but instead a hold-a-node style tier-list, I personally think that the Bunker Guardian holds a disadvantage vs Evade Thief, Spirit Ranger, and Kit Engineer.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Jasher.6580

sigh i didnt think i needed to do this but
S A R C A S A M
noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

um… duh? Now re-read what I said with the fact now in your mind that I fully well knew that you were being sarcastic.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

Maybe I should rephrase. You do not know what you are talking about. A Spirit ranger and a warrior at the same skill level will end with the spirit ranger winning

You sir are incorrect. I believe you are incorrect because you don’t know any better due to the deplorable state of your gaming capability and lack of basic knowledge of class mechanics.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes. He is just a bad player.

^ that is all

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Just for the record, I stand with Jasher on this discussion. Warriors have advantage over Spirit Rangers, namely due to lack of stunbreak on Spirit Rangers, and Warrior’s access to Berserker Stance.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

I play a Mesmer.

You sir are incorrect. I believe you are incorrect because you don’t know any better due to the deplorable state of your gaming capability and lack of basic knowledge of class mechanics.

You are honestly making a fool of yourself. Having you embarrass yourself wasn’t my goal. Just wanted a civil discussion without anyone calling anyone bad

in PvP

Derps.7421

Just for the record, I stand with Jasher on this discussion. Warriors have advantage over Spirit Rangers, namely due to lack of stunbreak on Spirit Rangers, and Warrior’s access to Berserker Stance.

You play neither a warrior or a ranger. Spirit rangers in tpvp run with a stun breaker and berserkers stance lasts for 10 seconds if traited. If a warrior can skill a spirit ranger in 10 seconds that is terrible play on the ranger. Let alone landing a stun on a spirit ranger is a challenge in itself when you have 3 4 counting elite AI pets running around body blocking. Also the spirits activatable ablities screw over warriors

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

I wouldn’t have been as curt if you didn’t respond like this ^.
-
There is nothing worse that someone being condescending AND wrong on top of it. It’s one of my pet peeves.

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

-
There is nothing worse that someone being condescending AND wrong on top of it. It’s one of my pet peeves.

God than you must really hate yourself huh?

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Not really. And a Hammer+ axe/mace warrior will just cleave the spirits down in a few seconds anyway.

You don’t seem to realize how strong the sustained and burst of a warrior can be if he can stay in melee, which he can due to signet of rage with lyssa runes for cleanses, cleansing ire, and 4 stuns under 25 sec cd’s.

If you happen to have wasted dodges on any of his stuns he’ll just use eviscerate and take out 1/2-1/3 of your health and just autoattack you with axe to death.

BTW, if the warrior wants to be cute in the match up he can run zerker’s, fear me, and signet of stamina. You’ll barely have any condi uptime on him as he’s wearing you down in between CC’s and raw sustained.

Zerker stance is just kinda OP at the moment and lets the warrior hardcounter most condi specs because 8 seconds of immunity+cleansing ire+signet of rage+ lyssa runes allows him a lot of time ignoring condi pressure.

On the other hand a phantasm mesmer or an s/d thief counters him pretty handily. You have to outburst him.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Yes, because they are.

-

in PvP

Derps.7421

Not really. And a Hammer+ axe/mace warrior will just cleave the spirits down in a few seconds anyway.

You don’t seem to realize how strong the sustained and burst of a warrior can be if he can stay in melee, which he can due to signet of rage with lyssa runes for cleanses, cleansing ire, and 4 stuns under 25 sec cd’s.

If you happen to have wasted dodges on any of his stuns he’ll just use eviscerate and take out 1/2-1/3 of your health and just autoattack you with axe to death.

BTW, if the warrior wants to be cute in the match up he can run zerker’s, fear me, and signet of stamina. You’ll barely have any condi uptime on him as he’s wearing you down in between CC’s and raw sustained.

idk what spirit rangers you guys have been fighting…

in PvP

Derps.7421

Yes, because they are.

-

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

Yes, warriors do beat spirit rangers, strictly in a 1v1 situation, at least with hammer/axe. Zerkers stance protects from the initial set of spirits out, then the lack of stun breaks will do the rest. The only way a spirit ranger could win is a well timed elite res. Even when that happens I have found it mostly just delays the fight.

The only thing is warriors don’t carry the same level of group utility. Their stuns are nice but they really have to isolate targets so they don’t get shut down by all the aoe cc going on. I would say warriors are one of the best 1v1 classes but still behind others when it comes to team fights so they have limited application.

in PvP

BurrTheKing.8571

As I said before, while as a Warrior I can beat a Spirit Ranger, it is NOT a hard counter. People seem to think that Berserker Stance is some sort of magical “I win” skill vs condition spammers, it isn’t. Most of the time it’s not worth traiting into over other traits, so it lasts 8 seconds. It’s a good duration but in order to counter it all the ranger needs to do is simply use evades and dodges until the stance runs out and then things can quickly turn against the warrior.

Even with my builds that always have Zerker Stance and Sig of Stamina once those 2 are gone my goose is cooked. Even more so because most Spirit Rangers resist the first stun and have access to blind which is the natural enemy to both my Hammer and my Mace builds. I would at best say the warrior has the advantage if they play perfectly but it isn’t a easy win.

@ Fourth No self-respecting Warrior uses Axe after its recent nerfs. Sword has Final Thrust which can isn’t as hard to land as it’s made out to be and has nearly the same damage as Evis and a 1 combo that doesn’t have all its damage in the last strike of Triple Chop.

Just an angry old man…

(edited by BurrTheKing.8571)