Annoying Sound Bug

Annoying Sound Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Zedrix.2104

Zedrix.2104

Still getting it since head start. Its even worse in wvwvw now. I know for a fact its not my PC . Please look harder Anet.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Jolene.7316

Jolene.7316

The problem is with the sound engine Guild Wars 2 uses, it’s called FMOD and the noise is what FMOD makes when it has run out of memory or otherwise encountered a fatal error.

It is not caused by a virus, or by sunspots, or by secret government agencies doing crazy things to your computer. There is a small possibility of it being caused by faulty memory but then that may affect the game in other ways too.

The more sounds that are playing at any one time, the more chance there is of this happening.

Lots of games use FMOD, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I just go it yesterday in wvwvw first time i’ve ever experienced it, i noticed wvw is so much more laggy lately too never used to be this way for me, its almost unplayable, which when my sound crashed i guess..

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Delete your local.dat file in your Documents>GW2 folder. It’s supposed to be your ui settings file, but it grows daily. Deleting it and letting the game reload it fixed this issue for me.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: myrtthe.3149

myrtthe.3149

Had this also just after a guildie got it, when we were at the last part before beating Jormag. It’s like an alarm going off in your left ear only. Going to character select and the sound continued, had to log out and back in before it was fixed. It was the first time I encountered this since the start of the game.
And thanks Jayne, I’ll look into that.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Had this also just after a guildie got it, when we were at the last part before beating Jormag. It’s like an alarm going off in your left ear only. Going to character select and the sound continued, had to log out and back in before it was fixed. It was the first time I encountered this since the start of the game.

Having this exact issue. Happened three times now, it’s incredibly annoying…

I’ll try deleting local.dat

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

(edited by Halcyon.7352)

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: chokipik.2168

chokipik.2168

Just got the Voooommmm Voooommmm sound for the first time yesterday. Restart the game made it dispear.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: UnknownFreak.2805

UnknownFreak.2805

Having this exact issue. Happened three times now, it’s incredibly annoying…

I’ll try deleting local.dat

I don’t think local.dat is the cause, cause It can still occur even if it’s newly created, but I recommend removing local.dat once in a while, cause it grows ^2 it seems

currently my local.dat is 13.5Mb lol should be around 1.8Mb(newly created)

@chokipik, yes, no offense, but most of us already know that

How to crashreport…
Someone say game crash must be related to OOM
when you read the log it’s not related to that whatsoever…

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: chokipik.2168

chokipik.2168

:P I know but I didn’t have time to read all 14 pages. I liked to write the “Voooommm Voooooommm” sound though :p

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Changing sound quality to the center setting from the best quality setting fixed this for me.

I’d like to get my sound quality back, though.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: dorin.4618

dorin.4618

Changing sound quality to the center setting from the best quality setting fixed this for me.

I’d like to get my sound quality back, though.

Just did this too hopping I`ll be able to play wvw. For now, everytime when more than 20 ppl around and starting the fight, it’s just a matter of time till I have to restart coz of annoying bug.

Annoying Sound Bug

Jayne.9251

Lol folks, check your local.dat file in your documents>GW2 folder …. If its bigger than 15mb, that’s your culprit. Exit game, delete it and let the game reload it.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Lol folks, check your local.dat file in your documents>GW2 folder …. If its bigger than 15mb, that’s your culprit. Exit game, delete it and let the game reload it.

If I delete local.dat, what gets lost with it? Settings and the like?

Just planning ahead… thanks!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Annoying Sound Bug

Jayne.9251

Yes just your settings .. you’ll have to redo them once you relog back in .. but for me, at least, it was better than that constant bonging sound.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Eriberto.7629

Eriberto.7629

it’s not a bug is an alarm that activates when you play 12 consecutive hours without closing the game.

Annoying Sound Bug

Jayne.9251

lol that’s not true. I’ve played less than that and it starts up.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Muhlum.7348

Muhlum.7348

been happening to me too, just started today for some reason

80 Guardian
80 Engineer
[Lost] – Tarnished Coast

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

Mine is 45MB, and I only very, very rarely have a sound issue (very loud footsteps or clunking noises for a short period of time).

(Win7x64, Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme)

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Ragenall.4530

Ragenall.4530

I’ve been playing the game since launch and I have never experienced this bug. But then it appeared ~14 days ago. We were fighting Champ. Rabsovich (Underground Facility Fractal). I simply turned off my reproductors and the game was running smoothly till the end of the run (the game didn’t crash/freeze).

As others have already written, the bug usually appears when fighting Claw of Jormag. When the boss has less than 30% HP then there is ~50% chance that the sound bug (“vuu vuu vuu”) will appear, the client will totally freeze within next few seconds and I will have to terminate GW2 process manually via task manager.

I’m not sure if large scale battles are the cause. I play WvW quite often and something like 40 vs 40 battles are no exception, but this problem has never appeared in WvW, game sound has always been ok there.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: CHEN.3645

CHEN.3645

I had this sound bug today for the ten billionth time. If its any help. Me and some guildies were doing path 1 of citadel of flame. Considering it went off in a much smaller battle there may be a way for anet to reproduce this bug or at the very least narrow it down quite a bit compared to the usual wvw moments. We got to the part where you have to destroy the 2 flame turrets and kill the 2 godforged flame charrs. and bam sound bug. The classes that attended this monstrosity was a Rifle engie, GS war, A Scepter/focus? necro. DD/shortbow theif, and a GS guardian. I however was the only one to be hit by it “the rifle engie”. I do however have a hunch it has something to do with necromancer sounds and gun shots(especially with the high frequency of gunshots.) Long story short but it was almost 100% reproducible for me in plinx farm zergs early in the games life, especially at the abomination spawn with the mass of people. And my weapon of choice was still rifle then.

I hope this helps narrowing the bug down otherwise I would seriously like you to consider rewriting much of the code that handles sound effects in game in the future.
Especially with the looming fix to WvW culling issues and lag. And I thought Battlefield 3’s sound bug was bad.

(edited by CHEN.3645)

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: UchihaMadara.1439

UchihaMadara.1439

Only had this bug in the last week, been playing fine for months without any issues. Had a look at the local.dat file and mine was 61Mb, I guess constantly changing between 5 characters has built it up to this size!

Deleted the file, let the game create a new one at 1.7Mb on load and the issue has gone. I would recommend this as a temporary fix but ideally the caching of data needs to be handled better.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: PlazticDagger.7623

PlazticDagger.7623

Happening to me as well. Sometimes leads to the game client locking up on me. Only happens in large battle/events. (Taking a down a dragon or large WvW battles)
Game gets stuck in a sound loop thats like a fire alarm, and I hear nothing else.

Annoying Sound Bug

UnknownFreak.2805

I know that for me a huge mob is needed, and something else, I Will try to track it down, by making achievements(daily kills) while fighting a huge mob, to see if anything has to do with it

How to crashreport…

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: dorin.4618

dorin.4618

Oh well, this worked for me. Ty.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Eirik.9145

Eirik.9145

I didn’t have the sound bug until a couple weeks ago, so something on the Anet side has to have changed. I have gotten it in big battles as well as fights with just a couple mobs. The frequency of it happening has increased over time as well. It started out happening maybe every few days, and now it occurs 2 to 3 times per day.

I have deleted the local.dat file and the problem has repeated itself within hours of resuming the game, so for me anyway, that isn’t a real solution to the problem. Just logging out of the game is as effective since the bug doesn’t show up right away even with a large local.dat file.

I even reinstalled the whole game to see if something else might have been corrupted and it didn’t matter in the least.

So as far as I can see, the problem is entirely on the Anet end of things. I really hope that they can figure it out the problem and a solution to it soon. It’s a real pain getting the sound bug while in WvW. There it’s not like you can log out and come back right where you left off. You’re kicked out of the loop entirely, and turning the sound off isn’t a great option either because many times you can hear attacks happening even when you can’t see them directly.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

OK, since deleting the .dat file I haven’t had the problem happen again.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: alcuin.1257

alcuin.1257

I know this is here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Annoying-Sound-Bug/first

However, that was 4 months ago. I still experience this problem from time to time. Is there still people working on this? I hope?

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Lesath.6081

Lesath.6081

I’ve been playing this game since head start & about a week or two ago I’ve started getting this sound bug as well. So far it happens whenever there’s a large battle in WvW about 20+ players. Like others said it wouldn’t stop no matter what & you have to exit game to fix it which is annoying when you are in the middle of battle.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

There has got to be a fix for this problem. I have been playing since launch but never had this happen until just recently. Last evening I ran with some guild mates to fight Jormag to see if the untargetable Ice Wall had been fixed (of course not, silly me), and about half way through the second Ice Wall fight this annoying sound started.

Whenever this happens I have to log off and reboot my pc in order to fix the problem. I did not have issues before…what is happening to cause this problem?

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: CHEN.3645

CHEN.3645

There has got to be a fix for this problem. I have been playing since launch but never had this happen until just recently. Last evening I ran with some guild mates to fight Jormag to see if the untargetable Ice Wall had been fixed (of course not, silly me), and about half way through the second Ice Wall fight this annoying sound started.

Whenever this happens I have to log off and reboot my pc in order to fix the problem. I did not have issues before…what is happening to cause this problem?

The official response from Anet, is “lol I dunno”
And the official reaction has been “we can’t make it happen in our 15 dude local server tests so —-- it.”

If they haven’t located the problem by now they should rewrite the sound coding from the ground up. It couldn’t hurt I assume since 90%-100% of is likely clientside.

The fact of the matter is if they do decide (and quite frankly they should) embark on that epic quest. We shouldn’t see a fix for at least 6 months imo.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

I have the same issue during big fights. Last night I was fighting the Claw of Jormag. We got the dragon down to 5% health. Then the sound issue hit me. My game froze, I had to kill the client. When the client frezzes due to this it locks up the game. There is not a lot you can do about taking screen shots or reporting.

Here is the bad part about this, and it is frustrating. The Claw of Jormag died while i was trying to get back into the game, and because I wasn’t there due to this issue I received zero credit for the kill, even though I participated the entire fight. That means zero chest, zero karma, zero xp, zero coin. The game acted like i was not even present the entire time.

I sent a report via the web site, incident number:130111-000529.
I just wanted everyone to know that if you DC and the boss goes down while you are disconnected you will not get credit for the fight at all. Even if you were there from the beginning.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: ryan.9621

ryan.9621

i was able to replicate this

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

I fought Claw of Jormag last night he was down to 5% or so health and I got hit with the sound bug that everyone is reporting. When this happens you have to restart the client.

Well the dragon died while I was getting back in, and I received zero credit for the fight. The chest didn’t even appear for me and I fought him the entire time. I didn’t even receive a participation medal for it. It was really frustrating. My incident number is 130111-000529.

This is a heads up for everyone.

Thanks.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

I have been having this same problem also. It started a while ago, I forget exactly how long ago. Then for a couple weeks it was fine, now its doing it every time again. It may have started again after that last Winter event ended.

It happens every time when fighting dragons. I haven’t tried WvW.

I only assume its sound related because thats the first thing that goes out, then I crash. But the error log shows this for the last one (I didn’t paste it all, just this short error message)

—> Crash <—
Exception: c0000005
Memory at address 00000250 could not be read
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 3008
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 16458
When: 2013-01-11T05:04:38Z 2013-01-11T00:04:38-05:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:05:43
Flags: 0

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Eirik.9145

Eirik.9145

Arrgh! Getting this several times a day is beyond ridiculous.

Bugged events or quests is one thing, and you can continue playing elsewhere. To have the game physically assault your auditory nerves is something entirely different and it makes the game unplayable until you log out entirely.

If Anet can’t figure out what is wrong after all this time, they need to hire outside help that can.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Crash.9186

Crash.9186

This is happening far to often for my tastes and it seems to mainly be in world vs world into where its an even bigger problem due to the god kitten queues, I’m wondering what kind of screwy kitten error this is…the fact that the sound bug just rips a new hole through your ear is bad enough and then it says “kitten#8221; at the end by crashing your game client.

It seems to happen most often in huge WvW fights just randomly, sometimes it will be fine and then others it will just bug out on me by destroying my ear drums and then crashing, is ANet planning to look into this issue or what as I’m getting tired of being hindered due to some stupid client issue.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

ANet is aware of the issue. Try looking at one of the biggest topic in Bugs.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Annoying-Sound-Bug/

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Dyeus.6759

Dyeus.6759

I had this issue in wvw all the time enough to make me quit the game for a week. I found out that lowering the sound quality in the options menu almost fixed the issue completely. It has happened once but for the most part the game feels playable again.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Cosec.9802

Cosec.9802

FYI if you DEL your GW2.dat file you also del all the patches sense launch and have to redo all settings . and it still dosn’t fix it.

Annoying Sound Bug

UnknownFreak.2805

FYI if you DEL your GW2.dat file you also del all the patches sense launch and have to redo all settings . and it still doesn’t fix it.

I said this a long time ago, don’t fix as you say

Also the sound bug, has something with event complete and zerg v zerg, happen to me last day :/, exact time when capturing sentry, zerg fight near sentry at briar tower, hope you know where, For me to get sound bug I had some what unrendered enemies, and completing the capture sentry, may work with camp/tower/keep and castle, how it happens it unknown, either some “exceptions”, I’e “Error” due to unrendered and capturing, this causes sound bug?, dunno why, but could be an explination.

Edit:
playing today, enemy was unrendered for a long while, also saw a lot of “feedback” bubbles, etc. then bam sound issue…

How to crashreport…

(edited by UnknownFreak.2805)

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: DathanielCHR.6453

DathanielCHR.6453

I’ve been noticing on my last few Claw of Jormag battles that this won’t start happening until Claw is down to about 10 or 15% health, then it’ll kick in. Must I start retreating to the camp area and watching the rest of the fight take place in effort to reduce the chance I’ll get sound spammed or freeze up? I don’t like this idea. I would much rather see A.Net fix the bloody thing.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Circ.1430

Circ.1430

Having this issue a lot lately. It’s usually in a zerg/zerg situations and can happen 20 minutes into a session or hours. Client doesn’t crash.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Netko.9271

Netko.9271

Never before have problem with this but recently got this sound bug and it is really annoying.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: actarus.8319

actarus.8319

After many months without any problem, I get this issue during the event “The Claw of Jormag”, when the Jormag’s life is around 10%. I have to kill the game process to stop the weird sound. Thanks to fix that.

Annoying Sound Bug

Jayne.9251

FYI if you DEL your GW2.dat file you also del all the patches sense launch and have to redo all settings . and it still dosn’t fix it.

well that’s because you’re deleting the wrong file silly.

The file to delete to fix this is local.dat … it’s located in your documents>gw2 folder … and I promise you it will fix it.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Imperium.9056

Imperium.9056

never had problems till about the last two weeks with these sound issues.

echoing & pulsating sound does — still occur --
- when game music is turned off
- when all the audio sliders are off
- when you alt-tab out too windows
- when you ask your fellow guildies over vent, and they all say “yes” they’ve had the same issue

and btw, deleting the local.dat doesn’t fix the issue, not sure why people claim it does,
would appreciate an official response if they are still aware after 4 months its going on.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Melanis.8309

Melanis.8309

no shadow of my character in a lot of specific sandy places (on texture of the sand)

Attachments:

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Circ.1430

Circ.1430

well that’s because you’re deleting the wrong file silly.

The file to delete to fix this is local.dat … it’s located in your documents>gw2 folder … and I promise you it will fix it.

I tried that and your promise is rendered broken. Had fun redoing some of my config options for a while, so perhaps you’ve won 1 Internet Trolling Point.

In the first zerg vs zerg fight I was in I had the woo00ooow000oo audio bug, which makes WvW unplayable which cuts the value of this game in half (at least).

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

Deleting the local.dat file did nothing for me also. I still have the crashes.

Annoying Sound Bug

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

so after so many months still no ‘fix’ from anet?