Instant "God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals"

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Teknomancer.4895

Teknomancer.4895

I suppose I can understand some of the complaints about this issue since GWAMM is definitely a huge grind to get, but some of the “fix” suggestions I’ve seen in this thread are just way over the top.

I occasionally create new toons just to farm transmute charges (100% city exploration gives you a charge for minimal time & effort with no risk). I had no idea this bug was even a thing until I did a few transmute-farming runs and suddenly I had some AP I didn’t have before (I was between AP chests so it didn’t give me enough for the next level). Then I discovered the title bug here in forums, looked and sure enough I had GWAMM in the available options. Since I already had 36 HoM points, the only things the bug gifted me was maybe a week’s worth of AP and an unearned title I don’t care about anyway.

Should I be banned or have all of the rewards which I did earn removed? Of course not, but some of the revert suggestions here would amount to that. If the title and AP get pulled, no great loss because once I had earned the tangible benefits I didn’t care enough to keep grinding for the title. The ranger pets are just skins since none of them have unique mechanics and a week’s worth of AP isn’t even worth worrying about IMO, but yes I understand that some people got much more than that due to AP reward levels. As long as the AP reward chests are once-per-account, leaving them alone and just reverting the total AP count seems to be the most reasonable fix.

I can totally sympathize with the people who are complaining about not being able to get their legitimate rewards, though. The free-to-apply heritage skins are nice to have while you’re leveling a toon so you don’t look like a scrub until Lv80, and the Fiery Dragon Sword is ‘the brightest light source in the game for the wielder’ (plus it’s the only one a warrior or thief can use).

tl;dr — By all means revert the unearned title and AP and re-enable the HoM, but going beyond that seems like curing the disease by killing the patient.

Attachments:

Diplomatic Dictators [DD] guild (Kaineng): http://gw2dd.enjin.com/

Posted by: Noein.1685

Noein.1685

I suppose I can understand some of the complaints about this issue since GWAMM is definitely a huge grind to get, but some of the “fix” suggestions I’ve seen in this thread are just way over the top.

I occasionally create new toons just to farm transmute charges (100% city exploration gives you a charge for minimal time & effort with no risk). I had no idea this bug was even a thing until I did a few transmute-farming runs and suddenly I had some AP I didn’t have before (I was between AP chests so it didn’t give me enough for the next level). Then I discovered the title bug here in forums, looked and sure enough I had GWAMM in the available options. Since I already had 36 HoM points, the only things the bug gifted me was maybe a week’s worth of AP and an unearned title I don’t care about anyway.

Should I be banned or have all of the rewards which I did earn removed? Of course not, but some of the revert suggestions here would amount to that. If the title and AP get pulled, no great loss because once I had earned the tangible benefits I didn’t care enough to keep grinding for the title. The ranger pets are just skins since none of them have unique mechanics and a week’s worth of AP isn’t even worth worrying about IMO, but yes I understand that some people got much more than that due to AP reward levels. As long as the AP reward chests are once-per-account, leaving them alone and just reverting the total AP count seems to be the most reasonable fix.

I can totally sympathize with the people who are complaining about not being able to get their legitimate rewards, though. The free-to-apply heritage skins are nice to have while you’re leveling a toon so you don’t look like a scrub until Lv80, and the Fiery Dragon Sword is ‘the brightest light source in the game for the wielder’ (plus it’s the only one a warrior or thief can use).

tl;dr — By all means revert the unearned title and AP and re-enable the HoM, but going beyond that seems like curing the disease by killing the patient.

There is zero chance you will be banned for this.

That which has no life.

Posted by: SolemnXII.1304

SolemnXII.1304

I had a bunch of Destroyer & Tormented weapons that I never placed in the HoM because I liked switching them between characters. With my unlucky timing I finally bound the weapons to characters just to find the GW2 unlock feature (temporarily?) disabled!
I miss my long lost black widow.
Please bring him back to me. QQ

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

I tend to be less technical in my replies on the specifics of what goes into fixes, but this recent post from Chris Cleary goes into detail on what is planned for this fix.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Update/page/2#post5017030

Sounds like we still have a rather long wait in front of us

Posted by: Lauren Kamieniecki.6245

Previous

Lauren Kamieniecki.6245

QA Lead

Next

I tend to be less technical in my replies on the specifics of what goes into fixes, but this recent post from Chris Cleary goes into detail on what is planned for this fix.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Hall-of-Monuments-Update/page/2#post5017030

It won’t be next release, but there is progress being made. This fix will debut on a release day to much fanfare though.

Posted by: gbull.6715

gbull.6715

Please fix this. It’s getting to the point where I just don’t care if people who didn’t earn it get it. It’s been over a month. Turn them back on…I worked a long time for these rewards and want to access them.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Please fix this. It’s getting to the point where I just don’t care if people who didn’t earn it get it. It’s been over a month. Turn them back on…I worked a long time for these rewards and want to access them.

Some people care, some don’t. In ANet’s shoes, would you just let it go? Or would try to make sure that everything related got fixed first? (I’m not sure how I’d handle it myself, especially after this much time, but if the team was “close” to resolving things, I’d be inclined to wait a bit longer.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Noein.1685

Noein.1685

please jesus guide them on their path of fixing this issue. be the light at the end of the hallway and lead them down the path of developer righteousness.

That which has no life.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i picked a bad time to get my last few HOM points it seems = (

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

guys guys, just wait patiently and anet will definitely not continue to say eventually forever cough SAB cough

Posted by: Royal.8079

Royal.8079

Today is patch day. I was soo hoping to see this finally fixed… HoM is still down

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Today is patch day. I was soo hoping to see this finally fixed… HoM is still down

It won’t be next release, but there is progress being made. This fix will debut on a release day to much fanfare though.

>.>

Posted by: Piel De Osa.7209

Piel De Osa.7209

I spent 7 years playing gw1. I want my achievements, pets, and skins. This isn’t fair at all. I have sent several requests for a response, and have got nothing. Is this ever going to be fixed? If not, its time for me to cut my losses and move on to a different game. I feel like I have wasted my time here. To not get a response, is ridiculous. This hasn’t worked but once since I have started playing this game. Feels like the hall of monuments was just a scheme to get people to buy the game.

Posted by: Piel De Osa.7209

Piel De Osa.7209

I will not buy the expansion or spend more money in the gem store if this doesn’t get fixed, or I get a response.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Piel, read the dev posts that have been made in this thread and in other similar threads. The poster directly above you quoted the most recent dev response:

“It won’t be next release, but there is progress being made. This fix will debut on a release day to much fanfare though.”

Also, bug reports made in-game don’t get direct responses. Tickets submitted to support do get responses, but there’s no need to send one for this because it’s a known issue (one caused by a major bug two months ago) affecting the entire playerbase that is already being worked on.

So, again, read the dev (red) posts before making silly demands and stamping your feet.

Posted by: akaeskimo.9265

akaeskimo.9265

finally got my HoM dont in GW1 but every time i try to claim the reward it states content is disabled. I have been trying for a month. cant find an answer, so anyone know whats going on? thanks in advance

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Lou.3071

Lou.3071

what’s going on with the HOM. it’s been broke ( unavailable) for too long. that’s something that a lot of people sunk many hours into building in Guild Wars.
i would like to see it fixed. and have access to the skins i worked for. But if it’s not feasible i.e. too costly. Compensate the players who have worked long hours at trying to achieve each rank. I’m not asking for the world. but i feel that a lot of people like me spent extra hours for something that we no longer can have. unfortunately i did not unlock all the skin i earned. i thought they were in safe keeping.
also you are still promoting people to do HOM maybe it’s time to remove that page from your site and move on.
i would like to hear what other players think about this. thank you.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

tldr: ANet is aware of the bug and working on a fix. It’s just not as simple as you might think.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think your title sounds like a threat. I think it is unfortunate you didn’t unlock your skins when they were available, but that is no reason to be ‘compensated’.

The fallout from the ‘bug’ will be ameliorated some time in the future, and I think it best that the expansion is not delayed for cosmetics.

That’s what another player thinks.

Good luck.

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

I was thinking about buying GW1 in order to get some nice skins and titles, but guess what – nope.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Rasimir.6239

I was thinking about buying GW1 in order to get some nice skins and titles, but guess what – nope.

Why not? I bought the game right before the HoM broke (and didn’t get my account linked until after it broke), but the game by itself is a lot of fun, getting those points takes a bit of time, and I know I have my skins and minis waiting for me as soon as the HoM is back online.

Besides, you know you have friends over there to play with .

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Why not? I bought the game right before the HoM broke (and didn’t get my account linked until after it broke), but the game by itself is a lot of fun, getting those points takes a bit of time, and I know I have my skins and minis waiting for me as soon as the HoM is back online.

Besides, you know you have friends over there to play with .

Yup, I do hug

But still, since I’d do it generally for the skins and titles, it’s a bit of a turn off

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Rasimir.6239

But still, since I’d do it generally for the skins and titles, it’s a bit of a turn off

Believe me, you’ll be busy collecting those points way past the date when the HoM comes back online .

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you got the skins and never bothered to unlock them then why do you care now? They are just as much in safekeeping as they have been since you unlocked them.

It will be fixed and after that you can continue to not unlock them and have them in safekeeping, same as before. You don’t get compensation for something you’ve never bothered to unlock and will be available later.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Childofzues.7496

Childofzues.7496

I JUST got 2 more points in HOM. :< I want my Kitty, and Fiery Dragon Sword.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What sort of compensation did you have in mind? Maybe… unlocking some skins and offering a few titles. Good news! They are working on exactly that, right now.

I can’t imagine what other type of compensation would be comparable to the intended rewards and be fair to others, since eventually the HoM rewards will be available again.

That said, given the number of accounts affected by this, I keep hoping that ANet would post a note regularly about this, even it’s to say, “ah sorry, progress is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances” — folks shouldn’t have to pester ANet for a progress report. (And be great if that message was actually available when you went into the HoM — there are enough scheduled updates for that to be a semi-realistic request.)

Lunacy Solacio.6514

So do many others. and I’ll have to redirect you to the post above yours >.>

They are working on it, it’s not a simple fix as has been said many times. In short, they had to choose between finding a million needles in a million haystacks, or create an entire army to do it, both of which would take a very long time. Of course creating the army means it can be used in the future for a much much faster fix.

Posted by: Lou.3071

Lou.3071

To answer the question poised by “Just a flesh wound”. it’s not that i didn’t bother with unlocking the skins. i only unlock the skins that i felt i would need for the character i was playing. as my character base grew to nine characters, i would make a little trip to HOM and get the skins i thought the new character would need. it was kinda my own way of rewarding myself.
As far as being compensated. i think that when i first contacted support April 18th i asked that the skins be unlocked and added to my account.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As far as being compensated. i think that when i first contacted support April 18th i asked that the skins be unlocked and added to my account.

They are already planning to do that for everyone affected. Are you suggesting that they drop the work of fixing the issue completely in favor of going into each individual account, double-checking which rewards should be unlocked, and manually unlocking them? (They cannot do it just for people who reported the issue, as they have indicated that people do not need to report it, since they are planning on fixing it for all accounts at the same time.)

tl;dr in this case, both the “fix” and the “compensation” are the same.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It’s already in the process of being fixed. There’s no need to directly compensate anyone for this because, as was already said above, the fix will let people who earned the rewards go and get their skins. You won’t get a direct compensation of any sort because it’s affecting all players in the game (specifically those who have linked GW1 accounts).

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

The problem is right now, that they have to remove rewards and achievement points from accounts. This is something they haven’t had to do before (some anet post recently said as much), at least not on a large scale.
So first they have to work out how to deal with that (ie. writing a program to fix it). That could in itself take a long time to develop (evidently since they have taken so long already). They then have to test it thoroughly to make sure it’s not removing achievements/rewards from accounts that do qualify for them.
Then they have to implement it and hope that it works correctly with the live version.
All of this takes time and resources. At some point it will be working but given the nature of how programs are written and come together it could still be a while before we see HoM updated.

As for compensation~

GW1 was available for years before GW2 was released. People that worked on HoM~ it was more of an incentive to return to GW1 and buy the expansion/campaigns for players that had quit. At the end of the day the main audience of HoM was directed at people playing before GW2 ever came out.
Sure, now there are a lot of people that are picking up and playing the trilogy since gw2 has come out, but that doesn’t mean you are entitled to any extra rewards because the service is currently down.

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

To answer the question poised by “Just a flesh wound”. it’s not that i didn’t bother with unlocking the skins. i only unlock the skins that i felt i would need for the character i was playing. as my character base grew to nine characters, i would make a little trip to HOM and get the skins i thought the new character would need. it was kinda my own way of rewarding myself.

If support refused, it’s because they don’t have the ability. The NPC was locked down to keep people who didn’t deserve the rewards from accessing it and making the problem worse. Support won’t have the ability to unlock it since the Devs locked it to work on the problem.

By the way, compensate doesn’t mean to give you what you have earned. It means to give you something extra.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compensate
“: to provide something good as a balance against something bad or undesirable : to make up for some defect or weakness
: to give money or something else of value to (someone) in return for something (such as work) or as payment for something lost, damaged, etc.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

they said they would fix it “not this next update but the one after” that was before this week’s patch so fingers crossed before the end of the month?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

For any doubt or question that one can have: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Instant-God-Walking-Amongst-Mere-Mortals/

Fact is, if content is disabled it doesn’t mean it’s not being fixed, actually it means a fix wasn’t found yet or not done yet or making it available could make things worse.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

they said they would fix it “not this next update but the one after” that was before this week’s patch so fingers crossed before the end of the month?

They didn’t promise a release date.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Instant-God-Walking-Amongst-Mere-Mortals/5059057

“…on a release day” does not mean “the one after” — it means it could be any time after, just that it would be part of some scheduled release.

Posted by: Harrimur.7425

Harrimur.7425

I’m starting to doubt that this will ever be fixed…

Posted by: DatedSandwich.5814

DatedSandwich.5814

To allay your doubts, read the post above yours…

Lunacy Solacio.6514

To allay your doubts, read the post above yours…

Or even the dev post up a bit on the same freaking page >.>

Therodin.2970

They are working on it, it’s not a simple fix as has been said many times. In short, they had to choose between finding a million needles in a million haystacks, or create an entire army to do it, both of which would take a very long time. Of course creating the army means it can be used in the future for a much much faster fix.

I feel like you missed an option. They could have found the million needles in the million haystacks and then after this problem was fixed make the army to fix the next problem they cause. It would have taken twice the effort but the playerbase would have been made happier faster.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I feel like you missed an option. They could have found the million needles in the million haystacks and then after this problem was fixed make the army to fix the next problem they cause. It would have taken twice the effort but the playerbase would have been made happier faster.

That would take twice the work, twice the time, twice the expense, for no real gain in speed to get the complaint resolved, therefore that option wasn’t missed, it was rejected as a pure waste. Not to mention the likelihood of screwing up much more by manually editing all of those fields and bytes in each row… just no. It would not be any faster. It may be possible they could do both at the same time, and are, but omg the risk of screwing everything up… No, making the tool to fix it is far safer, and would most likely be faster.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Therodin.2970

That would take twice the work, twice the time, twice the expense, for no real gain in speed to get the complaint resolved, therefore that option wasn’t missed, it was rejected as a pure waste. Not to mention the likelihood of screwing up much more by manually editing all of those fields and bytes in each row… just no. It would not be any faster. It may be possible they could do both at the same time, and are, but omg the risk of screwing everything up… No, making the tool to fix it is far safer, and would most likely be faster.

There would be a huge increase in speed for getting the complaint resolved, if it was done by hand on a person to person basis. The entire complaint probably would not get solved any faster but each day the number of people who were complaining would decrease.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

No it wouldn’t, because they cannot enable the HoM rewards until every single account has been corrected. As for the number of complaints besides the HoM not being accessible, who will still know who legitimately earned the titles from GW1 until all have been fixed?

Nothing will change until every account has been corrected, and the HoM is reactivated, so no, it would not reduce the number of those complaining.

To clarify in case this is a point of confusion. They are not going to manually apply skins, etc., that people have earned in gw1 and didn’t have unlocked in gw2 yet, or earned since.

edited for clarification.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Can we have an update on how this is coming along? Is there any approximate timeframe on how long this might take to fix?

Ive been debating on getting a copy of GW1 just to do the HoM stuff, but im sceptical about doing it because I know I won’t be able to claim my rewards due to this bug.

Posted by: Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Based on all the bugs coming up without even HoT being launched…

I would say 6 months.

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

Can we have an update on how this is coming along? Is there any approximate timeframe on how long this might take to fix?

Ive been debating on getting a copy of GW1 just to do the HoM stuff, but im sceptical about doing it because I know I won’t be able to claim my rewards due to this bug.

I wouldn’t worry about that too much. GW1 is good game in it’s own right – the graphics are getting old yes, but the story is good – and gives some background to a lot of things on GW2. It’ll also take you some time if you want to get further on the reward track – and you’ll eventually have those rewards on GW2 anyway. It might be delayed a bit, but seeing the magnitude of this issue – or how many people it affects – I think it’s likely that it’ll be fixed before you’ve gotten very far with your reward track.

(edited by Kitsune.1902)

Posted by: M Bagrov.5634

M Bagrov.5634

???? ?????????? ? ???? ?????????(

Posted by: skykingsong.1724

skykingsong.1724

400h hom30
I want pet

Lunacy Solacio.6514

400h hom30
I want pet

So do many others, and will have to wait for them to fix the issues that caused them to turn off the skins/pets/etc.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Instant-God-Walking-Amongst-Mere-Mortals/5059057

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Instant-God-Walking-Amongst-Mere-Mortals/5084265

Therodin.2970

No it wouldn’t, because they cannot enable the HoM rewards until every single account has been corrected. As for the number of complaints besides the HoM not being accessible, who will still know who legitimately earned the titles from GW1 until all have been fixed?

Nothing will change until every account has been corrected, and the HoM is reactivated, so no, it would not reduce the number of those complaining.

To clarify in case this is a point of confusion. They are not going to manually apply skins, etc., that people have earned in gw1 and didn’t have unlocked in gw2 yet, or earned since.

edited for clarification.

So when you said “In short, they had to choose between finding a million needles in a million haystacks, or create an entire army to do it, both of which would take a very long time.” The finding a million needles in a million haystacks was not referring to individually going account by account and giving people the skins they are supposed to have?