Legendary Howler Bug [merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: emannyv.3415

emannyv.3415

So I’ve noticed after the update my howler does not go into Night cycle, which basically defeats the purpose of having a howler.. I hope this is a bug. :l

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Aeoron.4936

Aeoron.4936

Hi

I finally got my Howler last week.
I really like it but every time i use ranger horn skill number 5 “call of the wild” inside of an instance( i think it happened outside sometimes but I’m not sure) that kitten wolf head wont shut up anymore. It continues to make the howling sound and animation until i cast another skill or put the weapon away(then it still has the moon animation even if it did not have it before i casted the skill). It gets very annoying after some time so i would be really grateful if you’d fix that
thx for your work and sry if the topic already existed but i found nothing with the search option.

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

dude.

the howler sound going on and on and on… is not a bug, just the legendary working as intended

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I don’t think it should constantly growl should it?

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

lol. I just got the Howler only a week ago and LOVE IT. I sometimes joke around people with this. the reason it’s called the Howler IS that it never ends! If you don’t like the looping howl, use a skill that isn’t a horn skill, it’ll stop the howl loop. also, it only howls at night.

Fun fact: if you use a horn skill and start the howling, you can swap weps and still have the howling around you. confusing the heck out of players. funny, but in a not mean way, cause then you show them why there’s howling.

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Posted by: Drakaer.8623

Drakaer.8623

Yeah the moon is no longer there at night time and the sparkles are gone :\

Can you hear the howl anymore? The normal warhorn sound drowns mine out.

Drakaer Soulkeeper [KAOS] Charr Necromancer

(edited by Drakaer.8623)

Posted by: Chicoolat.1857

Chicoolat.1857

Same problem for me, no full moon at night, i hope they fix it.

Posted by: Archangelus.8671

Archangelus.8671

It used to have a solid moon at night, and loop howling if you used a skill (which you could quit any time by using a non-warhorn skill, sheathing, or rezoning). It had been this way for almost 2 years (since release), and I actually made it partially for these cool nighttime effects. Please revert it to its old form.

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

The looped howling was a bug but was never fixed. Not sure about the solid moon.

Archangelus.8671

The looped howling was a bug but was never fixed. Not sure about the solid moon.

Actually, I have had Howler since the release version. It always did that at night. Here’s a video from last spring (this was before the Legendary Update patch):

Also note that having something loop at “game nighttime” is something that needs to be programmed purposefully. It even stopped by itself if you used a non-warhorn skill, or sheathed Howler. It also stopped by itself when “game sunrise” came around. Definitely intentional.

Now it does nothing different at night.

(edited by Archangelus.8671)

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

Yeah same with mine… it is a great animation and visual which I hope can be fixed soon I miss it already.

Posted by: Maoric.6132

Maoric.6132

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2014-04-15

Fixed a bug that caused the Howler to endlessly loop its trumpet animation at night.

The nighttime difference was a bug, not intentional.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2014-04-15

Fixed a bug that caused the Howler to endlessly loop its trumpet animation at night.

The nighttime difference was a bug, not intentional.

The sound looping at night was a bug, but the visual difference (moon showing up in the loop formed by the horn at night, glowing particles) clearly was intended. Now, there’s nothing left of the tiny bit of effects that made the horn legendary. It wasn’t impressive, now it’s a plain silver horn.

Posted by: Maoric.6132

Maoric.6132

The visual difference was a bug. The animation is referring to the visual, not the audio.

LinhZeri.6412

funny pretty much what makes the Howler actually a unique Legendary has been “fixed”. The whole howl when using skills is hardly heard as it is. Such a disappointment for a good legendary that has become mediocre at best.

Archangelus.8671

funny pretty much what makes the Howler actually a unique Legendary has been “fixed”. The whole howl when using skills is hardly heard as it is. Such a disappointment for a good legendary that has become mediocre at best.

That’s how I feel about it. Interestingly, players have reported that you can get the old Howler back by putting the skin on an Ascalonian dungeon warhorn. But of course, this leaves you with Exotic stats.

Posted by: Hexen.2930

Hexen.2930

There was a loop bug indeed. It was howling none stop even when warhorn was not drawn.

How it should be: Draw the warhorn buy using draw weapon skill/execute warhorn skill and then the wolf should howl a couple of times to the moon before it goes back to normal.

How it is right now’: There is only one animation (which can hardly be seen anyway) when executing the warhorn skill. AND NOTHING ELSE

Definitely a bug, because right now Howler is just pure kitten.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Yes but the ac weapons are bugging everything with animations skinned on them doing odd things.

They will fix/change so don’t count on that even temporarily.

Posted by: Drakaer.8623

Drakaer.8623

Once again anet dedicates resources to fixing a non essential bug and kittens up everything else. The night effects were the best part of the legendary. Now its a just silver horn skin with fog. While they are working on it they can give it more noticeable foot falls. The sound should also replace the regular warhorn sound, not be drowned out by it.

Drakaer Soulkeeper [KAOS] Charr Necromancer

Paradox.5498

Any news on how and when this is gonna be fixed? Howler was already pretty underwhelming compared to other legendaries (almost invisible footsteps, w00t…) and now it’s a silver horn with a bit of mist. Noone will guess it’s a legendary. Where’s the full moon graphic during the night? The stardust?

Posted by: Beth.3850

Beth.3850

I recently crafted Howler under the assumption that it still had its pretty night effects. It definitely does not feel legendary without them. The aura and footsteps are very subtle, which I don’t mind, but the actual weapon itself having no moons or stars except for what, 0.001 seconds on skill cast (also it doesn’t even fade out like it used to, just instantly disappears), is really really disappointing.

It’s been mentioned that you can skin it onto an AC weapon to get the night effects back, but a) I’m sure that will be fixed soon, and b) We shouldn’t have to resort to that just to have a legendary that feels legendary.

I thought the bug fix was just to fix the looped howling animation/sound at night, not to remove all the particle effects full stop.

PS: As a necro, my own weapon sounds/animations pretty much drown out the current very short howler sounds/effects. I would have thought if anything, the legendary effects would override my own.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Howler still has a muzzle and does not howl at all, there are no night effects at all anymore. Nothing.

They “fixed” the endless loop of constant howling by removing it completely. The complete removal I hope is unintentional and they will eventually fix it so that Howl will howl once more but with less exuberance than before (i.e. sometimes but not constant).

Now you have a barely visible mist effect around you, very faint mist footsteps and nothing at all special at night like you used to have. I hope this is in their worklog to get fixed.

Posted by: Peregrina Tuk.4950

Peregrina Tuk.4950

I guess the removal of all night time effects to Howler were not intentional. It doesn’t make any sense to make a legendary worse by removing that which makes the legendary special.

Removing the night cycle effects was a lazy solution to fixing a “bug” anyways. Please make our Howlers special again, Anet

(edited by Peregrina Tuk.4950)

Posted by: Explosives.1607

Explosives.1607

Ok so, I just got howler recently and have found a possible(?) bug. When I use the original legendary howler skin, the effects don’t appear at night. Like the aura is still there and the skill effects, but the moon doesn’t appear in the circle at night, nor does it play any sounds or sparkle. However, when I skinned an older warhorn with the howler skin through the wardrobe, the effects were restored…the moon was there and sparkling, and the sounds were back. Doesn’t matter what I do to the original Howler skin, it does not regain the effects…does anyone know if this is a bug or intended?

[Rekz/Sekz]
BP>FC>FA>JQ>SoS>Ebay>DB

Aerin Dark Water.6283

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I had just gotten it a week before the pack update and yea, I did notice the cool moon missing and the animation not looping, which by the way was wicked. Curses!!!!! It’s my first and so far my only legendary I’ve work a year to get. Please fix this back guys. I don’t even care about the looping-never ending howl. I thought it was perfect the way it was honestly.

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Posted by: Darkhayle.2473

Darkhayle.2473

I just crafted this about 4 days ago and I had no idea that they removed this effect. I still like the skin but the effects are really underwhelming. Especially on a necro where your skills drown out the majority of the effects. It doesn’t feel as up to par as the other legendary skins without its old night cycle quirk…

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

I just crafted it today. and I notice that the Moon visual effect at night is gone.

Please put it back please.

I’m not concerned about the sound looping. I just want the visual back

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: talkingun.9627

talkingun.9627

I crafted the howler about 6 weeks ago and like the night effect. Anet should put it back your let us craft another legendary that has effects. The howl also changed to just a horn blow

Posted by: Sebastian Knight.4736

Sebastian Knight.4736

Night effects are still missing and it’s quite frustrating! I too crafted my Howler a few weeks before the patch. Just enough time to fall in love with the now missing effects! I have already submitted multiple bug reports in game and will continue to do so until fixed. It is clear the removal of all the night effects was an unintended consequence of fixing the infinite audio loop.

Chicoolat.1857

Anet do something please .

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Unless someone made the change and never tested to see if it took effect, the fact that the entire night effect was gone had to have been noticed before the patch was made live. The howling was the same since release, so it isn’t like they couldn’t wait until they could “fix” it correctly before making the patch live.

The howling effect can barely be heard now because it is covered by the normal horn sound. They should either replace the base warhorn sound as is done with the Super Warhorn or loop the Howler effect a couple times more so there is actually something to hear.

And while they’re there, maybe they can fix the animation so it shows when characters are running, which is most of the time a warhorn is used and make the footsteps as visible and last the same length of time as other legendaries.

If they were willing to take the time to break it so thoroughly, it is only fair they take the time to fix it as thoroughly.

Posted by: talkingun.9627

talkingun.9627

The Howler was a legendary I crafted because of the effects. The last patch removed the night effect and all Anet did was reword the effects on Wiki. no put back the effect or refund the cost of crafting and let us craft another legendary.

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

The Howler was a legendary I crafted because of the effects. The last patch removed the night effect and all Anet did was reword the effects on Wiki. no put back the effect or refund the cost of crafting and let us craft another legendary.

In an attempt to fix the looping howl sound, they removed all the constant night FX, which was a really, really dumb idea. There is a very odd habit of doing this; they tend to “fix” something, and break something else in the progress.

I am perfectly fine without the looping howl sound, because that is clearly a bug and should not go on forever like that. However, I would love it if the moon and glowing wolf eyes were always on at night again, along with the meatier aura and footfalls. They basically Flameseekered it.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

LinhZeri.6412

I actually enjoyed all of it… even the constant howl.. But I would compromise for at least it did the howl for like 4 seconds after being used like it was a living wolf then rested with the moon still out at night…. Right now Howler is very boring and I actually don’t even use it as much as I used to.. sad since I enjoyed it before the April build :/. This will probably get ignored but I put it out there .

Posted by: Beth.3850

Beth.3850

Well they just fixed the legendary/AC weapon bug so I can’t even show anyone ingame what howler is supposed to look like anymore. Give us our moon back! It was pretty! >:C

LinhZeri.6412

Yeah I was thinking they can just bring back the howling at night but make it last only 4 seconds instead of indefinitely .. and of course bring back the moon and glitters :p Im just glad there are many others who miss the loop Howl at night as it was a major reason I made it.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

My support ticket was blown off with an instruction to post this as a “suggestion” in the most appropriate forum because that is how they can best judge the "amount of interest.

So can a mod or someone at ArenaNet please let me know if this is the most appropriate place for such a “suggestion.”

Paradox.5498

ANet obviously doesn’t care about any weapon not being a greatsword.

ANet, fixing the legendary you broke isn’t about the “amount of interest”. People who worked for months to craft ANY legendary deserve their weapon to get fixed, no matter if they crafted Eternity, a random underwater weapon or the warhorn. It’s kinda disrespectful to only fix obvious bugs if there’s popular demand, especially if the bugged weapon is so expensive.

Peregrina Tuk.4950

I second Paradox’s post. It’s nice and dandy that Eternity got yet another overhaul to make it more noticable than before, but fixing Howler would be nice as well.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

ANet obviously doesn’t care about any weapon not being a greatsword.

ANet, fixing the legendary you broke isn’t about the “amount of interest”. People who worked for months to craft ANY legendary deserve their weapon to get fixed, no matter if they crafted Eternity, a random underwater weapon or the warhorn. It’s kinda disrespectful to only fix obvious bugs if there’s popular demand, especially if the bugged weapon is so expensive.

Actually, the shark spear, whatever it’s called, is pretty kittening awesome looking, and has awesome hit FX (translucent shark head devouring the enemy, and it scales to the size of the enemy — so if you hit the giant jellyfish in FotM, the shark’s head is HUGE. First time I saw it I was impressed).

I’m actually about to craft Howler. Only 211 ecto to go and it’s done. I’m a bit sad that it’s been turned into a pale shadow of itself, since I started working towards it before they “adjusted” the FX. What I would do with it:

- Remove the default warhorn sound completely, or muffle it greatly. Make the howl louder and longer.
- At nighttime, the moon inside the crescent should be always on. Not just the glowing eyes.
- On wield, a burst of stars around the player that trickles down to the ground, along with a heightened fog aura and the wolf’s eyes glowing more brightly. Scale the luminosity on the moon as well so that it shines brighter (during the daytime this should also activate the moon briefly), and add a dynamic light burst that matches the color of the moon (by dynamic light, I mean an actual light sourced from the warhorn that casts illumination and shadows on whatever’s around it. This could be made only visible to the player that wields it, much like the glow on Jormag’s Breath, since anyone in WvW hiding with it doesn’t blow their position just by wielding).
- On skill use, all of the above to a degree, but smaller dynamic light radius, and a burst of stars only from the warhorn. Fog aura should amplify on use as well.
- Actually put some effort into the footfalls. Seriously. The current ones are programmer art. How about a neat little star burst from the ground that lingers a bit before fading? Or an arcing crescent moon similar to the rainbows from The Dreamer?

Of course, that entails someone actually giving a kitten about the weapon, and while I would hope the FX artists and creative programmers would, it seems like this is not the case.

I’ll tell you what, though, if even 50% of the above suggestions were done, that would be one awesome Legendary.

Aerin Dark Water.6283

Just played on my character withh the Holwer at night… still no moon

Chicoolat.1857

Anet do something please, bring back this night effect !

Attachments:

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I would do anything to get that effect back. Yes! Please!

Peregrina Tuk.4950

Still no fix? Really, A-net?

Posted by: Shadowdwemer.7085

Shadowdwemer.7085

I don’t know if this was changed a while back but I think the day night cycle is bugged on the howler. Just made it like 2 days ago and noticed that during the night the moon does not show on it.

Aerin Dark Water.6283

yes, it’s been like that since apirl when people were complaining about the looping howl. so, this was their fix. I wish they just revert it back. it was so cool to use at night, now it’s just meh. aw well. there is a long thread about this but it’s died from non-active posts.

Posted by: Shadowdwemer.7085

Shadowdwemer.7085

Well I think they should let it show the moon still but only let the audio file run once per skill use! Please Anet ;-; That makes this legendary unique in my opinion!

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

I just got back to the game after nearly half a year and my hard earned legendary horn is broken….

LinhZeri.6412

Yah :/ I just wish we had some word on this… instead of it being ignored they really just should revert the change.

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

im about to get howler soon and tbh im glad the endless howl is gone cuz i know that woudl annoy me fast. 1 howl per warhorn skill is enough imo. but i wouldnt mind the other nigth effects coming bak