Slaying Potions, the double-edged sword

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Psycho Robot.7835

Psycho Robot.7835

I think people would feel much better about this whole thing if you took a moment to explain why exactly this is taking so long to fix. For example, why maybe it ISN’T as simple as changing a + to a – in the effect code.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I think people would feel much better about this whole thing if you took a moment to explain why exactly this is taking so long to fix. For example, why maybe it ISN’T as simple as changing a + to a – in the effect code.

The reason they’re not saying anything is because it is that easy a fix. They just haven’t bothered to do it.

Posted by: Meryn.6875

Meryn.6875

The reason they’re not saying anything is because it is that easy a fix. They just haven’t bothered to do it.

^^^^^^^^^^^this

I can’t be more difficult than just changing a sign.

How can anything convert PLUS to MINUS with the signs being correct?
Even if the sign are theoretically correct, and just inverting them would fix it, F that theoretically correct code and go for the fix?

I just dont understand why this bug hasnt been fixed yet, whilst it will probably only take a minute to find the code and change it

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

In their defense, the equation for how much damage to deal is probably really complication. Think about everything that contributes to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it took up a full page. It probably is pretty easy to fix (turn + into – or * into /), but hard to locate what to fix. and if they changed the wrong part, something else would break just as horribly. I imagine the recent mesmer chaos storm buff was caused by such a thing :P (when chaos storm upon taking fall damage delt like 80,000 damage – that 4.2 second lupi kill was HILLARIOUS)

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

But they don’t need to touch the damage formula at all. Just some text ingame needs changing.

Lord Kuru.3685

In their defense, the equation for how much damage to deal is probably really complication. Think about everything that contributes to it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it took up a full page. It probably is pretty easy to fix (turn + into – or * into /), but hard to locate what to fix. and if they changed the wrong part, something else would break just as horribly. I imagine the recent mesmer chaos storm buff was caused by such a thing :P (when chaos storm upon taking fall damage delt like 80,000 damage – that 4.2 second lupi kill was HILLARIOUS)

No. If the followed any good programming practices, then it’s pretty clear what the problem is and where that problem is located. This should take no more than 10 minutes to find, fix, and test.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

b

I disgree. I think these potions would have to be “+10% vs, -10% from” in order to justify the cost of materials. They’re not exactly cobbled together from copper ore and green wood logs, after all.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

draconx.3102

b

I disgree. I think these potions would have to be “+10% vs, -10% from” in order to justify the cost of materials. They’re not exactly cobbled together from copper ore and green wood logs, after all.

There are tons of crappy items with ridiculously high material costs at the crafting table. Almost every item you can craft falls into this category.

Most of the best potions can be bought for one dungeon token each. If you are using crystalline dust and ancient bones to craft Powerful Potions of Undead Slaying, you are Doing It Wrong since a single Arah run will buy you 60 of them.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

New potion “Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlett’s Armies” causes you to take +10% damage from scarlett’s armies.

Just sad they didn’t put a postscript saying they will fix it sometime.

Lord Kuru.3685

Fixed? Anyone tested since the 2/18 patch?

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

“Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlett’s Armies”

Anet is trolling us.

RoyHarmon.5398

“Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlett’s Armies”

Anet is trolling us.

Yes. Yes, they are.

- C. S. Lewis

draconx.3102

Except… except….

I tested this with an Orrian Servant in Arah. To reduce variables I only counted “Claw” hits while the mob’s frenzy buff was NOT active. 23 hits without any potion, totalling 14299 damage. 23 hits with powerful potion of undead slaying, totalling 11452 damage. I’d record more but that was approaching the limit of my patience.

Could it be… could it be… that they changed potions to actually reduce damage and the tooltips are still wrong!?

And if they did, why could they not be bothered to put that information in the patch notes

(edited by draconx.3102)

Lord Kuru.3685

You might be able to test this against a mesmer mob that uses GS #1 — for example Tazza from SEp1.

Each attack hits 4 times for the same amount of damage.

Enter the fight without the inquest slaying potion. Drink the potion as she’kittenting you with GS #1 and check the difference in damage between those 4 hits.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Is this fixed or not -_-

draconx.3102

Is this fixed or not -_-

If you’re curious, why not test it yourself?

RoyHarmon.5398

Could it be… could it be… that they changed potions to actually reduce damage and the tooltips are still wrong!?

I don’t understand what you mean by that. If the tooltips say that damage is reduced, and they changed the potions to actually reduce damage, then how could the tooltips still be wrong? Do you mean that they reduce damage by the wrong percentage?

- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

New potion “Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlett’s Armies” causes you to take +10% damage from scarlett’s armies.

I came here to get this information. Thank you… very disheartening.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

“Fixed an issue in which the Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet’s Armies was causing players to take additional damage from Scarlet’s forces.”

Is this now fixed for ALL slaying potions, or only the Scarlet’s alliance ones?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

“Fixed an issue in which the Powerful Potion of Slaying Scarlet’s Armies was causing players to take additional damage from Scarlet’s forces.”

Is this now fixed for ALL slaying potions, or only the Scarlet’s alliance ones?

I’m wondering this, as well. If not, seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult to fix the others, or..at the very least..1-2 per patch?

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That’s what I’d like to know too. Hopefully this fix has meant that all the potions are fixed (if they all run off the same “boost” script, it’s possible that fixing one has fixed all of them).

Posted by: Lacus.8615

Lacus.8615

Doesn’t seem to be fixed, I am getting down more easily using the potion than without.

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s all fixed. (Tested with inquest and undead potions.)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

So when it was part of the Living Story, it was suddenly easy enough to fix from one day to the next. Ha ha.

RoyHarmon.5398

Thanks!

- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

So when it was part of the Living Story, it was suddenly easy enough to fix from one day to the next. Ha ha.

Yes, because scarlet > everything else it seems.

Posted by: Max Gladius.6930

Max Gladius.6930

Not the way the it came was “discovered” and then “fixed”….

This is a cover your but to your stake holders and bosses……
“We fixed ‘an’ issue, but we will claim it is all based on our ‘great troubleshooting and quick reaction’”

Their stake holders, at the most, will review the “patch notes” and “release summaries”…

So they take a problem that has been around for over a year and a half… they “reintroduce it” as in, they let it happen to a new item in the new patch, then they report
“We FIXED the problem that just happened”….
They ghost patch the other problems that are identical to it that have been around forever…..

This makes them look like super stars to their stake holders.
This fixes a problem that players have yelled a year and a half.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

Max – even if it is as you said, i can only applaud them, but also ask couldn’t have it been sneakily done earlier.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

I think the more likely scenario is this: The reward team created the new potion not knowing anything about the bug & so this went unnoticed until the patch hit live and since it suddenly became a problem it jumped the bug-fixing que.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

It’s likely a question of who fixed it.
before, it was a general bug, and added to their list of bugs that need fixing eventually, which is probably handled by their bug-fixing team. judging by how many bugs get fixed, I’m gonna guess this is not a well-funded team, and probably relatively small.
now, it was a living story bug. that team is probably at least half the staff. all of a sudden, people that have time to fix it now know it is there and have authorization to fix it.

Posted by: Robert.4197

Robert.4197

I think it would be great to have a CDI topic on bug fixes. I understand that bugs are put in to a queue and that things like exploits and temporary content take top priority but when some bugs have been in the game since launch, I really have to wonder sometimes. By the way, I think it would be nice to have save the merchant’s event in Bloodtide Coast fixed especially since the buccaneers can do damage to you but you can’t do any damage to them.http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Save_the_merchants_from_the_Bloody_Buccaneer_kidnappers

Meryn.6875

So they take a problem that has been around for over a year and a half… they “reintroduce it” as in, they let it happen to a new item in the new patch, then they report
“We FIXED the problem that just happened”….
They ghost patch the other problems that are identical to it that have been around forever…..

This makes them look like super stars to their stake holders.
This fixes a problem that players have yelled a year and a half.

In my opinion, if a bug is easy enough to the fix pushed within a few working hours (lets say this one took a few minutes of debugging, seeing the amount of other bugs fixed), it shouldnt be a bug in the first place…. (dont they test ANYTHING?)
Therefore they do not look like super-stars, but like monkeys trying to program.

I’m a programmer myself, and whenever I find out I published something with a bug thats fixed within 30 minutes (searching for the bug not included, since finding the location of the bug shouldnt be a problem when you follow clean programming rules), I apologyze and slam my hand on my head for being so stupid.

[ I would happily lend you a slam, devs ]

It’s likely a question of who fixed it.
before, it was a general bug, and added to their list of bugs that need fixing eventually, which is probably handled by their bug-fixing team. judging by how many bugs get fixed, I’m gonna guess this is not a well-funded team, and probably relatively small.

I dont think they fund a bug-fixing team for general bugs, if they do, they overpayed

*edit:
Dont get me wrong, I’m glad this finally got fixed, it just took too long

(edited by Meryn.6875)

Posted by: Zynn.1507

Zynn.1507

So, did they fix all the potions or just Scarlets potion? The fix says just Scarlets potion … :P

Meryn.6875

So, did they fix all the potions or just Scarlets potion? The fix says just Scarlets potion … :P

just a few posts back

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

All of the potions were fixed with the update on Tuesday, but the release note got missed. It was while I was confirming that the fix went out that I spotted the issue with the Scarlet’s Armies potion, so that got fixed in the later update.

(edited by Jeffrey Vaughn.1793)

Posted by: merkator.9206

merkator.9206

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

All of the potions were fixed with the update on Tuesday, but the release note got missed. It was while I was confirming that the fix went out that I spotted the issue with the Scarlet’s Armies potion, so that got fixed in the later update.

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the update on these. I’m sure there are a lot of changes that go into patches that aren’t listed, but please, the more the merrier. I would love for you to be more transparent with the changes that go in, ESPECIALLY with these bug/QoL fixes.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I’ve been curious about this recently but no one I talked to knew if they had been fixed or not. Thanks for getting back to us!

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Can you get them from Shadow Behemoth just like Final Rest? Or are they not in the game yet either?

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Eir Jordan.2156

Eir Jordan.2156

May I ask why this took four months to be addressed? In addition I would be curious why we were kept in the dark over this?

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

I really can’t go into the specifics of why bug X took Y time to reach the live servers, sorry.

Lord Kuru.3685

I’m pretty sure there was a post somewhere (search function doesn’t work) that said it was not fixed with Tuesday’s update. In any case, we’ll never know if there really was an intention to fix it until the Scarlet slayer patch because of lack of update notes saying so.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Don’t worry because living story.

Meryn.6875

I really can’t go into the specifics of why bug X took Y time to reach the live servers, sorry.

Ah well, thanks for finally fixing it. Please try to get all update-notes in, since some have been waiting for this to be fixed, and wont use them untill it’s confirmed.

Posted by: lightning.8039

lightning.8039

I think they should make the next living story have everybody use Ranger’s main hand sword, then maybe we’ll see a fix for it

iheartlightning (ranger) DnT
“…but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.”
-Benjamin Franklin