FOV (Field of View) Changes Beta Test - Feedback Thread

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Damai.1947

Damai.1947

Now, at last, the games feels right, many thanks guys, but may I say that is a minimum.
The increase of the FoV is so light that it’s hard to tell the first time used, but it is definitely better and more comfortable this way.
Adding the option to raise it a bit more should be great.
The camera still needs customization, to get rid of undesired movements, but it is another topic.
I’d also like to suggest to raise the camera a little bit so it would feel like we are in the eyes of the character and not in his belly, it’ll also give the impression (may I stress that this is only an impression caused by the change of perspective) to see further like a grown-up compared to a child.
And please there is no link between FoV and widescreens… widescreens don’t especially need high FoV, it’s proportionnal. I play in 1600×1200 resolution and the new FoV is absolutely necessary.
Just editing to say thanks again !!)

Posted by: Eltrow.6382

Eltrow.6382

Hello Everyone!

I think this is one step in the right direction. But I still think there is things to improve, but gj.

I have a screenshot when I did the halloween boss event, when i left to LA the camera stayed the same as in the event. So now i wander around with this huge camera bug, which is INSANELY GOOD!!! I cant belive we have it so narrow as it is today when you can take in the Beautiful environment so great with the camera so far away as it is with this bug. Here is the picture, shall we not take hands and keep it that way, and lets stay enjoying the game together now with this “change”?

Here I demonstrate the “buggy fov that I love and WANT so bad” in comparison to the “old not so good one”

Love Eltrow.

Attachments:

Posted by: Smartbean.5960

Smartbean.5960

In addition to my earlier feedback and to further add to the plea for the lovely zoom out…

Attached are some screenshots from WvW. I found the overall WvW experience whilst being zoomed out much much much much much more enjoyable.
Some points to this viewing mode:
- fights; other invaders and players from my own server actually rendered BETTER and MORE QUICK than in the normal view. Running into an invisible zerg of enemy invaders seems a lot less likely whilst in this viewing mode!
- when having about 20 v 20 fights there is no more lag (nor less lag) than normally playing with the close zoom.
- the zoom out actually allows you to have a good look on what’s going on on top of a keep wall (see screenshots of the Longview fight). This is a major help in defining on what to do or where to stand etc.

This camera view is really a must! So again Arenanet, please make it standard to be able to zoom out this far!

EDIT: After playing a bit more of WvW in this camera stance (including the far zoom out effect that stays after the Mad King’s dungeon) I can say that this camera stance actually does NOT result in more lag (than normal) during gameplay!

Attachments:

(edited by Smartbean.5960)

Posted by: Oboromaru.1374

Oboromaru.1374

I’ve been waiting for this change for awhile. Such a huge difference. Makes me wanna do Arah story mode again.

Posted by: Galneon.5096

Galneon.5096

There IS a Great Pumpkin!

So much better.

Seawrack – Mesmer
[FINE] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sannhet.8745

Sannhet.8745

Am I doing something wrong here? When I change the instructed field I get an “invalid path” error script when trying to apply.

Posted by: Greenlight.9478

Greenlight.9478

much better than it was. would be even better if we can zoom closer in on the character and eventually get the first person view like gw1.

Posted by: peperico.4285

peperico.4285

OMG, please make this standard – this is what i have been missing for so long. Why has it taken so long to get this through? It should have come standard with the launch of the game. Without it i am struggling to really immerse myself in the game-play. Wow and others definitely allow you to zoom out much further.

Please install permanently ASAP!!!

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

A couple pros and cons for this:

1. Love the new viewport, can actually see this beautiful world in all its glory now (esp with the post-Mad King dungeon bug, amazing).

2. Nice in WvW as well, can better see what’s going on around me.

3. Can’t see enemy weapon swaps as well, which makes for an interesting tradeoff – do I zoom in close to watch for weapon swaps to anticipate their next move, at the cost of having to pan and scan alot to maintain situational awareness? Or do I zoom out for better awareness at the cost of not catching a weapon swap as quickly as I might have?

So, I hope you guys keep it, and provide an FoV slider and longer range zoom, and let the players decide which they prioritize. There are tradeoffs to the wider FoV and zoom range, and allowing the choice still keeps things interesting and strategic.

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Cant thank you enough ANet. It’s funny that not too long ago there were people raging about how ANet will never listen to their community because they never do (allegedly). This shatters that perception. The game looks great and I don’t feel like im looking through horse blinders anymore. There is a bug i found that I’m sure everyone has experienced by now…

Bug – When entering the Mad King’s dungeon, your zoom is stuck at “boss mode” where it zooms out pretty far to give you a good view of the boss. Logging out and back in fixes this. It actually isn’t a BAD bug, I love that I can zoom out that far and would love it if you considered leaving this zoom distance in the game.

Thanks again ANet, keep being the best developers ever!

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Am I doing something wrong here? When I change the instructed field I get an “invalid path” error script when trying to apply.

Please let us know exactly how the target field looks after you place the line. Make sure if there’s quotation marks, to place the new command AFTER the quotation marks with a space separating them.

Posted by: peperico.4285

peperico.4285

A couple pros and cons for this:

1. Love the new viewport, can actually see this beautiful world in all its glory now (esp with the post-Mad King dungeon bug, amazing).

2. Nice in WvW as well, can better see what’s going on around me.

3. Can’t see enemy weapon swaps as well, which makes for an interesting tradeoff – do I zoom in close to watch for weapon swaps to anticipate their next move, at the cost of having to pan and scan alot to maintain situational awareness? Or do I zoom out for better awareness at the cost of not catching a weapon swap as quickly as I might have?

So, I hope you guys keep it, and provide an FoV slider and longer range zoom, and let the players decide which they prioritize. There are tradeoffs to the wider FoV and zoom range, and allowing the choice still keeps things interesting and strategic.

Excellently put. So it was the post Mad King bug that hit me and I thought ArenaNet had finally done the right thing(((

ArenaNet, please increase the zoom. The gameplay is so much better. I am actually one of those players that will eventually stop playing if the zoom isnt optimal. its strenuos, especially when playing larger characters, like the Charr. They block your whole screen!!!

Please enable more zooming.

Posted by: Sunstone Lioness.6312

Sunstone Lioness.6312

This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

Posted by: Gromass.4591

Gromass.4591

Add it definitely ! Thank you to be listening to players !

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I LOVE the zoom increase. It’s interesting on my asura because I’m soooo tiny, but the view is amazing! fantastic! I feel like I’ve never seen the world! The fight against the dragons would be AMAZING now. I think I would be able to see the whole thing!

Posted by: Firesaber.5217

Firesaber.5217

This is much better. It works great.

One thing I have noticed tho is that Reflections on water do not line up now when you are panning the camera. Like for instance I was swimming across one of the big lakes in Blood tide coast. Holding right mouse button and turning the cameras….the reflections unalign from the land.

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I like the improvement, like others though, a slider with a bit more would be great for my monitor.

Posted by: Ianor.7184

Ianor.7184

Looks great on my 1080p monitor, helped a lot. However can you see if there is a correlation between this and crashing, or would this still be linked to the Mad King event today? Starting at around 12am PST 10/29 my game has crashed about 15 times.

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Something that was brought to my attention, about the zoom change:

Some accounts don’t have the zoom change until they run the MK dungeon. I almost wonder if the zoom change is not related to the FOV beta, but a glitch in the dungeon, and rendering of the game afterwards.

If this is the case, I vote we keep the dungeon, just so I can keep the view!

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

i love the new FOV change, at first i didn’t notice it, it wasn’t until I used screenshots to compare that i noticed how much i could see now.

Attachments:

Posted by: GamerGirl.1496

GamerGirl.1496

WOW! My asura thanks you!!! No more bumps on the head or falling in cracks on hillsides!!

1st image is beta view and 2nd is normal. I’m in same position zoomed all way out in both images.

Attachments:

Posted by: Eadgyt.5987

Eadgyt.5987

Most assuredly an improvement!

+1 for First person view / close up-by head zoom ala GW1.
+1 for even further zoom-out-ability

~ Stuff stuff STUFF! ~

Posted by: Fishy.3094

Fishy.3094

Okay so i don’t know if this is part of the FoV changes or not, but for some reason i’ve been able to sometimes zoom that far out. It doesnt happen every time, sometimes i log in and im not able to zoom out as far so im thinking it’s unintended.

Point is, please please please make us able to zoom out this far, im used to backing up the camera as much as possible from WoW and i am absolutely loving this zoomout

!http://i.imgur.com/JZmUF.jpg!

FURY – Aurora Glade

Posted by: stonejoint.8740

stonejoint.8740

yea I want to see enviroment as much as I can more far more good.

Posted by: Fishy.3094

Fishy.3094

Okay so i don’t know if this is part of the FoV changes or not, but for some reason i’ve been able to sometimes zoom that far out. It doesnt happen every time, sometimes i log in and im not able to zoom out as far so im thinking it’s unintended.

Point is, please please please make us able to zoom out this far, im used to backing up the camera as much as possible from WoW and i am absolutely loving this zoomout

Attachments:

FURY – Aurora Glade

Posted by: MadCow.7964

MadCow.7964

very nice but please + horizontal too ^^ & i agree with fishy …please keep the extra zoom its amazing

With love from Triplicities <3 xx
Whiteside Ridge – 80 Elementalist
[WvW] We Vanquish Worlds Commander & Officer

(edited by MadCow.7964)

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

one thing i have noticed is the damage number display is often hidden behind the target nameplate.
16×9 interface set to small

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

That happens when you enter the Ascent of Madness dungeon. And it gets stuck. I was wishing ArenaNet guys made a FOV slider at the Camera section at Options, to make us able to set it as we wish. Like the one now after entering that dungeon. Or at huge world events with huge bosses.

Posted by: stonejoint.8740

stonejoint.8740

Yea the reason I play this game is graphics, so extra zoom makes game really enjoyable and once I played like that Its going to be unacceptable if you guys dont allow to play with extra zoom out option. (I was zoomin out extremly yesterday but today only mid range)

Posted by: Eltrow.6382

Eltrow.6382

Its a bug from when you were in the Halloween event. I completely LOVE it too! It must be standard and i would start playing and ENJOYING the game!

Posted by: Grimm.5632

Grimm.5632

This is great that you are fixing it. What ever you did for Mad King is the answer to top them all.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/128dds/try_zooming_out_after_youve_been_inside_the/

Win some lose some, BUT when you lose take notes!

Posted by: mthomas.2763

mthomas.2763

Better, but definitely a performance hit.

My blog, with possibly GW2 related posts: http://rnd-diversions.blogspot.com/

Posted by: mak.9027

mak.9027

Thanks, it’s definitely an improvement, previously I was unable to see anything.

Though, on my asura (the smallest size available) I still see a bit too much ground (50% of the screen is ground), the camera height should be centered on the head, not the back, and ideally a bit higher than that for asura.

Posted by: BoOm.3657

BoOm.3657

Thank you for this fix

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

This new FoV is awesome. I can now truly enjoy the beauty of this game. Playing for too long tired my eyes real quick, but with this change the image now feels much more natural. My eyes thank you

Posted by: Septhes.8654

Septhes.8654

Oh my Glob.

1. This is awesome work – thank you for taking care of this issue.
2. Never remove this feature.

Significant improvement on a widescreen monitor. I have not noticed as much of a performance hit as some have mentioned, but my machine is overpowered for the game requirements.

Posted by: Haze.3504

Haze.3504

Its a good start but its still too tight for a 27 inch wide screen monitor. A slider that goes up to 100 would be nice

Posted by: mirko jankovic.5147

mirko jankovic.5147

All great but I;ve got something even better. Funny thing happened after a lot of problems with Mad King dungeon last night. Ofc I couldn’t get dungeon properly as well but after leaving dungeone camera stayed zoomed out like in the instance, and together with FOV fix it was looking great!
I wanna have this setting option in game as well
What do you guys think… any chance for this?

Attachments:

Posted by: Nukluk.6029

Nukluk.6029

This is great!

The viewing area is expanded both horizontally and vertically. It also feels like you can zoom out more.

The only drawback I can see for some players, is you cannot zoom in as closely to your character with the test FoV. So tight shots of characters becomes more of a challenge.

Is there a way to also adjust the zoom mechanics so we can zoom in closer to the characters?

Posted by: DigitalWarrior.7280

DigitalWarrior.7280

The FoV in this game by default was a bit off on my 1080p display, and especially considering my main character is a norn, he took up the majority of my screen, making jumping puzzles much harder then need be.

The new FoV is perfect. The camera itself feels less clunky due to this, and I feel as though this should be streamlined later for sure.This change is extremely welcomed and appreciated, thanks ArenaNet!

Home World: Tarnished Coast
Arnbjorn Ulfarsson – Warrior
Tarja Ulfarsdottir – Ranger

Posted by: Galneon.5096

Galneon.5096

“Its a good start but its still too tight for a 27 inch wide screen monitor. A slider that goes up to 100 would be nice”

1. It doesn’t make a difference what size your monitor is, it’s the aspect ratio that determines what FOV is technically correct (scaled from the standard of 90 degrees at 4:3), and the new FOV is quite fine for 16:9.

2. The FOV is at least 100 now. Such a slider would go from 90 to 120, possibly with a lower maximum in the interest of not being too revealing of surroundings.

Edit: If anyone was wondering, assuming a 4:3 FOV of 90 degrees, 16:10 would be 100, 15:9 would be 103, and 16:9 (1080p) would be 106.

Edit2: Actually, because this is vertical FOV and not horizontal, the custom values would be different. 100 would in fact be far too high to be usable at all.

To get vertical FOV corresponding to 100 horizontal at 16:10, you’d need 74. For a vertical FOV corresponding to 106 horizontal at 16:9, the value is actually the same: 74.

Seawrack – Mesmer
[FINE] – Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Galneon.5096)

Posted by: Thorstyn.9852

Thorstyn.9852

Loving this new FoV. Much better for playing in Tyria thank you A-net as suggested by others, enabling it to be customizable by us, would make this feature even better.

Otherwise thank you!

He who dares…

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

Amazing! It looks AMAZING!! Oh my, I can see so much sutff now.. Please please make it a slider(for those who like the original FoV)

Just look at the screen-shots, this is GOLDEN KITTEN!!

Attachments:

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

Posted by: Ott.5403

Ott.5403

This is a wonderful addition and thank you very much for letting us test it out. I have a widescreen monitor which this is ever so much better suited for. I’ve also played a number of both MMOs and RTS games and I must admit I enjoy the RTS-like camera much more. Yes it is a different sense of scale for gameplay, but I think it’s best to have the option to see more around you. It makes avoiding traps easier and less frustrating — but still challenging in a fun way as per befits a game like this. One thing of note is that I have followed the shortcut directions to a T, but my game does not want to load the new FOV on startup. I don’t know if anyone else in the thread has mentioned this, but…. What I have to do is exploit a bug by entering the Mad King’s instance, which will then transform my FOV to the new one, and keep it that way when I leave the instance — so it is attractive to me to exploit the bug whenever I log on in order to get the FOV. I do very much enjoy the change and hope it becomes integrated as a more permanent option for the game — even if it’s an option that can be toggled on and off. Thanks again!

Posted by: Ryodan.3157

Ryodan.3157

Thank you arena net, perfect timing on this I had just told my guild I wasnt going to play anymore because the game actually was hurting my eyes and causing headaches. This has almost entirely fixed that problem. I am now moved far enough back from my character to be able to deal with the not-so-smooth camera movements when your turning.

Posted by: HidingCat.4037

HidingCat.4037

Looks good. It’s much better now. Is there a slight change in angle too? I noticed that when comparing screenshots between a character that has not been moved at all.

Posted by: Madison.8135

Madison.8135

I really like the FOV thank you

Madison Root ~Elementalist
Officer ~ Get of Fenris [GoF] of Blackgate

Posted by: Shaiden.2389

Shaiden.2389

Thank you for letting us Beta test this feature. The difference is definitely a step in the right direction… When I logged on with this, I liked it. However…. When I was able to zoom way out from yesterdays bug with Mad King dungeon, I LOVED IT.

Do you notice the difference there? I like what you got us testing, I LOVED what you for some god aweful reason don’t want us to have.

Thanks anyway, it is better.

Posted by: Galessin.4915

Galessin.4915

Here is a eyefinity Screenshoot, Its good to see you guys are working on the FOV bug issue in 3 screen format. All is left to do is make the UI central … my neck is killing me…

I see I gain a little bit vertical view, its good because in WVW I cant see on the top of walls.Time will tell if its enough.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lethal Left Eye.6129

Lethal Left Eye.6129

This is the way Guild Wars 2 was meant to be played. I definitely like this added FOV adjustment. I got a taste during the Ascent to Madness event yesterday of what it was like to have a very far camera experience. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it and I wish that I could play that way all the time. While this FOV adjustment is better than before, the FOV players had during that event was better even further.