Low FPS - [merged]

Low FPS - [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: dgiaffe.1980

dgiaffe.1980

I’m in the party with my two computers :/ Big FPS drops on my tower and laptop..

Tower
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz
8 Gb RAM
Windows 7 64bit
nVidia GTX560 running beta drivers 306.23

Laptop
Alienware M15x
Intel i7 940QM
8 Gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
ATI 5850 1Gb DDR5 on Catalyst 12.8

Weird part is I heard all over that thread that it would probably be CPU-bound so I thought I would get better FPS on my laptop since it has a better CPU, but it doesn’t I get even worst. I tried a few things, as well as compatibility mode but didn’t do anything. I know it is not a temperature issue and as many stated, most of the games I play I can get over 40 FPS on both machines (LoL, Battlefield 3, Batman etc.). I guess like everyone said we are at the mercy of devs until they release some optimization :/ Or perhaps a better driver from each ATI and nVidia…

edit : I did try the memory patcher on my tower and I think it did increase and made the fps more steady.. I get about 55-60 FPS on my tower now.. went to low 25 during a 20 men fight in WvW though… so it was a quick test… maybe some other people want to try it? Link is here :
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
Just make a backup of your gw2.exe just in case

(edited by dgiaffe.1980)

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

For the record, I use a similar patch to the previous poster on one of my computers, and it works beautifully. Even in 32bit windows, the memory limit is artificial. The way it uses RAM, the 32bit OS is able to allocate 4GB PER PROCESS, not for the whole OS.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: TheRealLink.3861

TheRealLink.3861

1. Game is CPU-bound
2. Kepler / 306.xx drivers (or the game) are not yet fully optimized

If it was CPU bound, people wouldn’t consistently be reporting that their CPUs are being underutilized. CPU usages has been reported at anywhere from 10%-60%. There’s a lot of CPU that’s not being used at all.

Same goes for GPU across the board.

There are some definite software optimization issues causing some problems here.

There is no specific hardware that has the issue. It’s been reported on NVIDIA & AMD cards of all kinds, Phenom 2’s, i5’s, i7’s, AMD-FX, of all different speeds.

Well, what i think I meant is that since my GPU isn’t 90+%, it’s relying on the CPU at that point. Since my CPU isn’t near 100% (and with my system there’s no way a game is going to max my cores), maybe it’s better to call it an under-utilization as you said rather than being bound per se. I’ve yet to test this game at other CPU frequencies but I’m saying CPU-bound only because of resolution, not frequency.

Maybe I’m mistaken on my terms but yes, something is definitely amiss and not optimized.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Plutorian.6192

Plutorian.6192

Yeah sadly i got this bug now aswell. I noticed it in Queensdale at the south west cave. (forgot the name).

It was fine until the latest patch for me aswell sadly. Its manageable but very choppy and a bit annoying.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Plutorian.6192

Plutorian.6192

The new patch of today (small patch) has fixed my FPS issues in the cave, Thanks!

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Zakpu.2165

Zakpu.2165

Ok here’s my report after todays patch.

I logged in today for a few minutes after the patch and had a healthy and stable 45FPS averege. Before my FPS was all over the place for weeks usualy in the 5-25 range while questing. Now did a 30 minute session, FPS was also stable. Tried story mode – also stable and good. Im gonna try dungeons where i had less then 10 fps a lot of the times in the evening to see how thats going.

They havent really relased anything in the patch notes to hint that performance will be better
except for the LOD fixes and sound bug fixes, so dont know what is it but for now its much better and hope it stays that way.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Paul.9081

Paul.9081

Noticed an improvement after todays patch too.

Not a huge increase but Lions Arch is now 15-25 frames average (before 5-10). Some low dips to 10-14 fps but generally playable.

Settings on mostly High now too but a few graphical settings on medium.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Arkanis Drako.5169

Arkanis Drako.5169

If there was any improvement for me, then a hardly noticeable one.
It seems, however, that the graphics settings have a slighty bigger impact
on my frame rate.

Still hardly any performance increase throughout the different settings
and very, very low FPS in the same situations as before (“locked” FPS in cities,
low FPS when near any building, very low FPS when near world boss monsters
and so on.)

This issue gets more and more frustrating for me with each passing day
on top of crashes which did not occur before.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Deadman UK.5473

Deadman UK.5473

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III Power Edition
Windows 7 x64
Catalyst 12.8 with the latest application profile.

I can run powerful games like Max Payne 3, Skyrim and The Witcher 2 on maximum detail (or close to) while still achieving 40+ fps. Why is it on Guild Wars 2, I go into Lions Arch and in some areas, I am in the low 20’s?

I have the graphics setting on maximum detail (with exception of the renderer which is on native) You would think a PC like mine would be able to run this game at high fps with high/ultra graphics enabled. While the game looks nice, it’s visually no where near the standard of the games I mentioned above.

I have tried the 4GB patch and it didn’t make a difference. I can confirm that my graphics card is running in a x8 PCI-Express slot (should be 16x but I think I plugged my sound card into the wrong PCI-Express slot so it’s forcing the card to go at 8x but even so, the performance impact of 8x vs 16x is about 1%). I can also confirm that the game is using all cores of my processor.

(edited by Deadman UK.5473)

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: michaeljhuman.3940

michaeljhuman.3940

I suggest reading the whole thread, Deadman.

My summary would be that there’s two types of issues here. One issue is really low fps issues with no clear answer. The other is people with good hardware, but low fps in some areas (such as what I see.) The second could be explained as CPU bottlenecking.

Low FPS - [merged]

Deadman UK.5473

I also get lower framerates in other areas, not just Lions Arch. Areas with lots of grass and vegetation. I can’t be CPU bottlenecked, my CPU is a powerful one. Reading 21 pages would take too much time, but it’s clear I am not the only one with good hardware and poor fps.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

With regards to being CPU bound, I have some evidence that’s true for me based on the GPU and CPU loads I see when the fps drops. I have an i7 3770 CPU.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: ruilionheart.1394

ruilionheart.1394

Well, mainly this seems to be a nVidia prob cause AMD GPUs seem to be just fine. I was expecting to run the game on med settings, but geez, the only way to get this game to med settings is with MSI Afterburner ON.

I don’t know how i can run games that have higher system requirements than GW2 @ higher framerates and higher resolutions & settings, while gw2 runs @ low. : \

Btw, i have an i5-460m @ 2.53GHz with an nVidia Geforce 325m.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

If it’s an Nvidia issue, it’s an interesting one. My fps can go over 120fps in some areas. In many areas I get over 80fps.

But in some areas, independent (so it seems) of other player activity, fps falls below 60fps. GPU load is reported say around 50% when I have looked. CPU load was high.

One way to test if it’s CPU bound, is for me to maybe try underclocking my CPU a bit. Measure fps, then enable my normal OC via BCLK, then test again to see if fps has gone up.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

I could also pull my GTX 670 cards, and pop in the 2 6970 cards I have to see what happens with that scenario.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Elriond.2169

Elriond.2169

Why won’t Anet at least comment on this? Seriously, if they’d just say we’re looking into it, instead of absolute silence i’d play in peace. But the fact that there’s been no word, speaks volumes of their customer service.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

If I was them, I would not respond unless I had something positive to report. Either a workaround, or fix.

If you imply you are fixing it, people will demand WHEN. And if you give wrong time estimate, people will post messages about how Arena failed them, and how they are quitting forever and never buying an Arena game again – I am sure you have seen the obligatory drama queen posts.

That being said, some people have seriously nasty fps issues, and I hope their situations get fixed soon, assuming it’s not a fault on their machine/environment.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Philo.1542

Philo.1542

Nvidia is not at fault. AMD is not at fault. Intel is not at fault. This company is at fault, and it’s THEIR obligation to release a game that is stable and running. If they could not do that, they should not have released it. At the VERY least, they should have provided a disclaimer stating that the game is extremely unstable, and that it’s likely you will not be able to run the game.

Having failed to do that, it’s their obligation to at least provide a refund to those who cannot reasonably use their product.

Low FPS - [merged]

Deadman UK.5473

Philo.1542, I think you’re going a little overboard with the whole refund thing, but I do agree, Anet needs to fix this, or at least acknowledge it. This is not an issue with just NVIDIA cards as my ATI card also isn’t performing how it does in more powerful games.

Low FPS - [merged]

Philo.1542

Deadman UK, I don’t think that’s the case at all. I met and exceeded their system requirements. You stated yourself that they have not even acknowledged the problem. They have not spoken with me to address the problem. They made no disclaimer about the problem, nor have they updated their standard for system requirements.

The game is absolutely impossible to play in a reasonable manner. I am receiving 1 fps at this point. I paid $80. Please explain to me why you think this is acceptable. Why should I not be refunded for a service\product that I am simply not receiving?

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Graig.1739

Graig.1739

im starting to wonder if they made a mac version where it automatically disables parts of the gpu, and applied it to the PC version or something. the mac version doesn’t seem any slower, (or faster.) and the pc version running in windows seems much slower. someone must have made a mistake or something.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Tobysauce.6291

Tobysauce.6291

My PC is more than capable of running this game, but my average fps is about 17, and in WvW my average fps is <10. Maybe if they would’ve sent more beta invitations to get more feedback on system configurations to do more testing……

Low FPS - [merged]

Philo.1542

After a thousand posts, don’t you think it’d be wise of them to state that they understand that this is an issue, that they’re working on it, and what precisely they might think is involved? Why must we wait a week before we get a response from customer service agents? I did not pay $80 to get zero support and zero functionality.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: ArchCalder.3258

ArchCalder.3258

After a thousand posts, don’t you think it’d be wise of them to state that they understand that this is an issue, that they’re working on it, and what precisely they might think is involved? Why must we wait a week before we get a response from customer service agents? I did not pay $80 to get zero support and zero functionality.

ANet has already made posts about that, even before the original thread was merged into the one we’re posting in now. They know it’s an issue, and they’ve said multiple times before that they were working on it.

Think about it from their point of view. Thousands of players are having problems with framerate issues. And let’s say that each player with those problems sends in a help ticket. Do you know how long it would take to go through each ticket, analyze the computer specs, and give a possible solution that may or may not even work? It’s time-consuming, especially when there’s only so many support people helping out.

If ANet knew the reason for the framerate issues, don’t you think they would have addressed the cause by now? These problems are happening for people with decent to great gaming rigs, but those with lower-end or top-of-the-line rigs have no problems at all. How strange is that? There’s a lot of code to go through to see if there’s something there.

Attempts to solve the problem have already been made. I know AMD released a profile specifically for increasing GW2 performance. And beta drivers have been “released” that should also help increase performance.

So don’t say that ANet doesn’t know that the problem exists. Because they aren’t the only company aware of the problem. No news isn’t necessarily bad news. As was mentioned earlier, if ANet did post AGAIN that they are trying to fix the problem, people will ask when it will be fixed. And if they give the wrong time frame, or say “it’s unclear when the issue will be fixed”, people will start ranting that ANet has failed them and whatever.

I checked an earlier post of yours where you mentioned your specs. One of my friends has the same specs as you, and they’re doing much better than just 1fps (granted, it isn’t as high as it should be, but bouncing between 15-25fps is still playable). Don’t just assume automatically that ANet is “at fault” if other rigs with your specs are doing better.

We’ve waited five years for this game. We can most certainly wait a while longer for the game to be optimized.

Low FPS - [merged]

Philo.1542

Well, it’d be nice if they had this in a sticky so those ‘thousands’ of customers could see precisely what is the issue and be kept updated on the matter. Do I think customer service representatives should keep in touch with those thousands of customers? Yes, I do. Frankly, at this point, I don’t want to wait any longer. I want a refund. I did not pay to wait for weeks, possibly months, before I could use the product. I expected funcationality when I bought it. They provided no disclaimer, I still see none.

I did not wait 5 years for the game, and I don’t plan on waiting that long for them to fix it.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

I did some more playing around tonight with this. It seems sometimes I spend more time trying to improve fps than playing

Due to most of the issues being of my own design, while trying to test a reduced set of processors I won’t go into details.

But I will say that I did see improvements in my fps once I ensured all my cores could run at 4.22 Ghz (boosted and slightly OC’d.) Perhaps the latest patch on LoD helped out. I also set settings to best appearance, but changed reflections to terrain & sky only (this is good for almost +10 fps.)

Standing at edge of bridge in Astorea (looking at village) I was getting about 60fps. I was not getting proper CPU freq boost before, and was getting much worse fps. This shows how helpful it is to have enough CPU cycles, IMO.

I definitely suggest people building a PC for this game get a multiplier unlocked CPU and try some reasonable OCing.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: psyway.4356

psyway.4356

anet did comment on this,i got response mail from them and they said they fixing low fps and performance issues,so i believe they work on it quite hard,btw game is so epic that i dont care to much for this problems as long as i can play it.i can wait as long as anet need to optimize it.thank you anet

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

anet did comment on this,i got response mail from them and they said they fixing low fps and performance issues,so i believe they work on it quite hard,btw game is so epic that i dont care to much for this problems as long as i can play it.i can wait as long as anet need to optimize it.thank you anet

That’s pretty egoistic, judging by the fact that there are thousands of people who have heavy problems playing at all.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Low FPS - [merged]

psyway.4356

i did not meant that way.i am very sad about this and when i said i dont care i meant about lags if occur here at me,not like i dont care for others,i stated that claim in mail i sent them some time ago:
``i telling you this in the name of all players who experience this issues and there are much people with same problem``
again when i said i,i mean we.i just state that game is worth playing even if you play with lags.hopefully they fix it soon

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: klaymaur.5786

klaymaur.5786

Thanks ANet, with yesterday patch i feel way less stuttering then before, must be that thing about L.O.D….i was able to crank up graphic setting and still improve my frame rate:) …. ill test some more WvsW tonight…

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: arjov.8649

arjov.8649

today i installed gw2 on my gf’s pc since she wanted to try it……..BAMMM 70-80 fps in crowded place where i get 35-40 !
my pc :
phenom 2 940 @ 3.8 ghz
ATI 7870 OC
4 gb ram
my gf pc:
i7 920 @ stock (2,67 ghz)
ati 4670
4 gb ram
nice, very nice don’t you think? i spent 230€ for my new vga and gave my old one to my gf, and she runs gw2 better than me XD
the real important note is that my gf cpu goes 25-30% when running gw2, while my cpu goes 75-80%. i think this is the problem, but i really can’t understand.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

arjov, did you ensure the settings were identical? Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

That includes resolution and all graphics settings.

Low FPS - [merged]

arjov.8649

ehm did you really ask it ? bah…..

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

Of course I asked it. I am an engineer, and the proper reaction to many situations is to confirm the eyes were dotted and the tees were crossed. Many issues have resolved to be simple mistakes in my experience.

Low FPS - [merged]

arjov.8649

i’m an engineer too, mechanical engineer to be precise. now after having oranges and apples sold, coul we build an interesting topic on how my gf cpu is being used so less than mine? i’m pretty sure that’s the bottleneck.

the only thing i could check is tryin to use catalyst 12.6, since the ati 4670 it’s only supported till 12.6. but nothing, with 12.6 the 7870 simply works the same way, with comparable fps to 12.8 and 12.9 beta. processor still in 70-80% usage range.

(edited by arjov.8649)

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

What I see, on my PC, is that in certain areas, the fps drops from 90+ to 60 fps ( for discussion purposes, the fps is variable like a psycho girlfriend’s mood)

If it’s the GPU, it seems a bit odd due the monitoring tools I use showing 50% load or thereabouts on the GPU.

The CPU, while not fully loaded, is much more loaded, according to my monitoring tools.

That’s all I know. Which means I can only guess that the game is CPU bound [To be very clear, it’s CPU bound at those locations and on my PC.] Also possible is that there’s something odd with certain video cards ( a theory based on some of the posts to this thread)

Low FPS - [merged]

arjov.8649

I also thought it was cpu bound, and that’s why i can’t explain it going smoother on a lower end pc. pve has no problems for me, i have 100-110 fps and 60-70 in crowded cities. but in world vs world during crowded events i fall down to 25-30 fps. my GPU is always at 35-40% usage while my cpu about 70%.

on the i7 920 the cpu usage is around 20% open world and 50-55% in w vs w during events .

so i got the conclusion that the game is obviously cpu bound, since it runs smooth on both 4670 and 7870 while openworld, but i don’t understand the difference in cpu loading (maybe better optimization with intel processor), which i think makes the great difference in fps during w vs w. i’m sure that if my processor was at 20% too in open pve i could benefit from my higher end vga, but it’s just my thought. next step will be trying my 7870 on my girlfriend’s pc (also if she doesn’t like me opening her pc ^^)

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: MetalDragonWing.7592

MetalDragonWing.7592

Geez I did not think this post would get so popular as it is (although it has been merged.)

Well, all I can say is I still seem to have fps issues. I have been unable to play the game since the betas, although I played during the betas cause they were actually un-optimized. Anyways, I am gonna start saving up to build a budget rig (around $500) But since I am only 15, it will take a long while just to save that much. I really hope Anet can fix this soon. Maybe it is actually my rig, even though many people have this issue.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Previous

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Next

Hey guys, I know I’ve said this before but hang tight. This is something that we are still currently looking into as this is something that is difficult to reproduce in order to narrow down conditions that cause severely low FPS, intermittent or sustained. We are unable to diagnose what is wrong with everybody’s PC and in many cases these can be factors that are out of our control (drivers, hardware issues, not meeting the minimum requirements, etc.).

We are still tracking down common driver issues and hardware problems and weeding out the differences between things that are our problem vs. a system related issue.

Again, thanks for your patience and we continue to look into this issue.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Echo.7258

Echo.7258

AshleySegovia, I don’t understand. When I opened my ticket, we ruled out all of the above through many trials and responses, and eventually it ended with “It’s our client”.
Knowing this, why can’t you release some player side tool that we can use to diagnose the game when we try and play, then send you the results. That way you could see what the problem was and fix it. After a few months “Hang tight” won’t work anymore.

We need resolution, or at least some actions to help get it all on the right path. This thread here alone was ignored for at least a week without a response. What is frustrating is that you seem to still be focused on other people’s machines, when the evidence has shown that a lot of cases, are the client itself. It’s been a month, if your only just getting started with the issue now….what hope do I have of playing the game I bought, anytime in 2012 year?

Low FPS - [merged]

psyway.4356

thank you AshleySegovia for update and for such a great game

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Traced.7418

Traced.7418

I had the EXACT same symptoms Noctura had, I ran Speccy and saw my temps were running hot. I ended up replacing the cpu fan and side fan and added new thermal paste, with medium/high settings including AA and full shadows animation I run 50-60 fps constant in capital cities and pve. Havn’t tried wvwvw yet.

My specs:
Intel Q9550 2.83 Ghz
6 gb pc2 6400 (3×2)
Nvidia GTX 460

Good stuff.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Elriond.2169

Elriond.2169

Hold on a second. You can’t seriously be saying the low fps is because people are not meeting the minimum requirements here. The majority of people have been listing specs, and the fact that practically everyone runs poorly in wvw should tell you all you need to know.

In all honesty, the current minimum requirements are a farce. There’s no way anyone can get decent framerates with that hardware. For anyone unaware of the Minimum requirements, here you are:
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
2 GB RAM
25 GB available HDD space
Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

If you’re going to sit there and honestly tell me that the minimum hardware at the moment can run the game with any decent fps, please provide proof. I will accept a screenshot or video of anyone willing to do so. In fact, i’d very much like to see anyone with this level of hardware show what kind of framerates they get in reality to prove this is bs.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

I have posted this a long time ago, but you might not have seen it. I still have this issue.

I usually run GW2 at 45-50 FPS (which is amazing, and I’m grateful for it – my laptop is a heap of junk, and back in beta my FPS was never over 15. You guys did an amazing job!).
However my FPS decreases to 30-35 when I am looking at fire (simply moving the camera fixes the issue). At first I thought this is because of that awesome looking distortion effect that I can see when animations are set to Medium or Higher, but testing it with animations set to low have revealed that that effect is not the issue – even without it my FPS drops by the same amount. I have tried lowering the setting but this happens with all possible settings.
The game remains playable (which is great), but there are a lot of fires in WvW and that’s where my FPS greatly suffers. I hope you guys can find a fix for this.
I have included a screenshot with a good location to test this and my usual graphical settings and my dxdiag.

You can see a screenshot and my dxdiag here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Fire-Decreases-my-FPS-by-a-noticeable-amount/first#post146989

_Since then I have tested more, and realized that the effect is worsened by zooming in. If I zoom in on many sources of fire (Fire Wall (engineer), some Elementalists spells, some Mesmer Ethereal fields, etc) my FPS goes down a lot.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Hador.2753

Hador.2753

New rig, time to post here again! :-)

CPU : Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz
GPU : AMD Radeon HD6950 1GB @6970 (880/1375, 1536 shaders), Catalyst 12.8
RAM : DDR3 1866 Mhz 8GB

I’m specifically going to address the inconsistencies in GPU performance. I will not take WvW into consideration because I believe the issues there different and more complex than raw software optimization.

In PvE, I get anywhere from 34 to 90~ FPS. And this in itself is quite interesting, the variation is staggering.
From my testing, what I noticed is that the visual quality settings “interact” too much with each other. I’ll explain :
If I set everything on max and drop reflections to “Terrain and Sky”, I gain about 9 fps; if instead I choose to lower shaders to medium, I gain 4 fps, even less if I set shadows to High or Medium. But if I set all 3, I gain upwards of 30 fps, whereas the single settings only net me about ~15 fps combined.
Also I’ve noticed that smoke-related shaders are the heaviest hitters (example : Fields of Ruin, near the level 33 insurrectionists heart, there’s a lot of mortars firing and dynamic smoke caused by explosions, there setting Shaders to Medium gives me about 10 fps).
All the other settings don’t seem to affect FPS much if at all, and the image quality loss is much more severe so they are not worth messing with. I think Shaders could use some optimization, while Reflections are probably “heavy by design”; Shadows are ok, but having different sliders for quality and draw distance would help.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Nontheless, turning up VOLTAGE without turning up CLOCK is nonsense, since you’re just overheating your video card, as more current is flowing into it, without using it.

It isn’t nonsense: increasing voltage makes a cleaner wave-shape; if the current clock is a little too much to be 100% reliable, an increase in voltage can fix that.

Additionally, voltage and current are two separate things. Voltage increase does increase thermal output but not necessarily overheating it, which depends on the cooler attached to it.

bunch of crap. There is no reason thinking that hardware designers are forcing an insufficient voltage for their hardware. Nontheless, turning on voltage does increase the current flowing as stated by OHM’s LAW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

And manufacturers never have recalls and the Intel Pentium .99999999 was flawless.

I never said voltage and current aren’t related, only that they are two different things. Does it matter why increasing voltage increases thermal output? No; it just does and must be dealt with—we aren’t in disagreement on this point.

I do disagree that increasing voltage only increases thermal output with no other effect.

Ohm’s law isn’t really relevant here as it’s a very tiny part of the whole: increasing frequency increases power consumption (cf. The Art of Electronics, p. 970) and that’s what’s relevant, not Ohm’s law (your CPU is ~1 billion transistors, not 1 billion resistors) Why do you think your CPU lowers power when it lowers its frequency (Intel’s SpeedStep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep )?

The relevant formula here is P=CV^2f: Power consumed equals capacitance times voltage squared times frequency. Note how current is not part of this equation.

The length of time a transistor in a digital circuit delays an electronic signal depends on its size, fabrication technology, layout, temperature, and operating voltage. The highest achievable clock rate of a circuit depends on this delay and the number of logic levels that a signal has to traverse in a single clock period. The latter number is fixed (and dependent on the processor’s architecture). So, for overclocking, we focus on how a transistor’s latency is affected by its supply voltage. A higher supply voltage can shorten the delay, but will also raise the transistor’s power consumption. Cranking up the clock frequency also increases the dynamic power draw per time unit, and thus further raise the circuit’s power consumption, leading to a hotter chip.

cf. Tom’s Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

That is from an article explaining how Ivy Bridge has less OC headroom than Sandy Bridge. I wonder if the 600s have a similar pattern.

It’s OBVIOUS that the heat depends on the cooling system that is supporting the video adapter, but it’s also clear that increasing voltage will increase current, and increasing current will both increase heat and lower the hardware’s lifetime.

All of that is a red herring and doesn’t negate the above facts.
You’ll also have to show me how running hardware within manufacturer’s specifications lowers it’s lifetime (calling it ‘crap’ doesn’t [dis]prove anything).

So stop posting crap, please.

Personal attacks don’t make your point and undermines your credibility. I put time, thought, and effort into my posts; anything less is a disservice.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Hey guys, I know I’ve said this before but hang tight. This is something that we are still currently looking into as this is something that is difficult to reproduce in order to narrow down conditions that cause severely low FPS, intermittent or sustained. We are unable to diagnose what is wrong with everybody’s PC and in many cases these can be factors that are out of our control (drivers, hardware issues, not meeting the minimum requirements, etc.).

We are still tracking down common driver issues and hardware problems and weeding out the differences between things that are our problem vs. a system related issue.

Again, thanks for your patience and we continue to look into this issue.

Thanks for the reply. Can you guys get the profiling working properly so we can at least give you profiles of what’s happening on our machines? I’m sure there’s a lot of usefulness to be had there.

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

If there’s any data I can send on my machine, to support, let me know. In my case, it’s a consistently low fps in only some places.

Low FPS - [merged]

Posted by: Arson.4189

Arson.4189

Lol 46k views.

No response from Anet.

Game breaking anyone?

Low FPS - [merged]

michaeljhuman.3940

lol, they did respond…they are looking into it; see above