CoherentUI_Host.exe + Crashing

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If i use “-nopatchui -email -pw” i have a Blackscreen.

Ensure that your email and password are correct and the target of your shortcut is like this:

“C:\Example\Gw2.exe” -email myemail@example.com -password mypassword -nopatchui

Posted by: Xrel.6087

Xrel.6087

The new patch created the problem for me -.-

l??x s? ???u ?? ??

Posted by: Falaria Borg.6517

Falaria Borg.6517

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
Make sure “Automatically detect settings” is UNchecked

With the patch today – I went in a changed this setting back so it is now checked.
Launcher loaded. No error msg from Coherent. No freezing and able to log in as per normal.

Thank you so much for your efforts on this matter! I hope those that haven’t been able to log in and play since the interruption will be able to now.

Posted by: it s three o clock.4802

it s three o clock.4802

now i’m able to play since the last pach and i’ve also used the new TP but there is an horrible lag and i’ve crushed after a bit :\

Posted by: Ouranos.2954

Ouranos.2954

Still not working for me. I submitted a ticket yesterday, and was sent the zip file, but that didn’t fix it. I’ve tried all of the solutions in the various threads, including a malware scan. I haven’t been able to download the new patch at all, and now I’ve missed the reset night for first week of WvW leagues.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This is still very much at the forefront of the team’s efforts. It’s good to know that some players have experienced a resolution of the issue with today’s build. We’ll post more info and, perhaps, some work-around steps as they become available.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

now i’m able to play since the last pach and i’ve also used the new TP but there is an horrible lag and i’ve crushed after a bit :\

Could you try again? We had a brief outage of the Gem Store and that could have caused the problem you experienced. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope you’ll be able to report back that all is well.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Baltov.9608

Baltov.9608

Holy crap Gaile Gray still works for Anet :O

Posted by: it s three o clock.4802

it s three o clock.4802

few minutes ago the game say me that there was “serious error” etc. and i’ve send a message to Anet, now i’m able to play……….. i really don’t know what is happening

Posted by: Nevrina.6019

Nevrina.6019

Having the crash problem as well. Sent in the reports, and also detailed everything I have done to attempt to fix it, and the steps I have followed. here’s hoping for a quick resolution. Not gonna get stressed the Devs have to take breaks as well.

Posted by: Squirty.9046

Squirty.9046

many players are still stuck and i was able to fix this on my own.
technically after the patch it made everybody sad coz of coherent,for others, it fixed it using internet options.
100% fix to all users and there are two ways:
1. if u r not a technical person – uninstall the game and then go to your gw2 folder and delete the coherent file manually. then re-install the game.
2 if u r lazy but too technical – delete the current coherent file and re-install a new one(this one saved my time)

Posted by: Nevrina.6019

Nevrina.6019

Deleted the file, now re-downloading and Re-installing the game. Well, it’s nap time.

Posted by: TheWyrdOne.8654

TheWyrdOne.8654

Ok, I tried what Squirty said, going into the GW folder and deleteing the bin folder with coherent in it, nukeing my anti-virus and opening the launcher again. Seemed to work. Not sure how it will react in future updates, but here’s hopeing.

Posted by: Yahti.9321

Yahti.9321

After the hotfix on 12 September 2014 the launcher hangs in the taskbar after reaching the ‘Initializing’ screen.

Before the hotfix my game would load to character select but wouldn’t let me enter the world due to crashing with errors ‘Code= 10:5:11:2462:101’ and ‘Code= 7:11:3:191:101’.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Thanks for these updates. I believe a team member is preparing a few notes to post, so there may be some troubleshooting steps you can try as per the upcoming suggestions.

[[And yes, Baltov: Since the year 2000. ]]

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: johnson.3960

johnson.3960

So I haven’t messed with anything since day ones suggestions, tried logging in just for giggles… Works on both my PCs now, kudos to the Anet team for making progress on this issue, keep up the forward progress

Posted by: Johan Skold

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

Hey guys, checking in to update you a bit on what we are doing to address these issues.

As Stephen mentions above, we pushed a hotfix this morning that should hopefully fix the main issue players seem to be experiencing. You should no longer need to have the “Automatically detect settings” checkbox unchecked. If you still have issues running the game with that checkbox checked, while everything works just fine with it unchecked; please update your ticket with customer support if you have one, or create one if you do not. In this ticket, please attach crash dumps (see the bottom of this post for how to find them) if you have any. That will help tremendously in tracking down the source of your issue.

This is unfortunately the only problem the hotfix addresses. We are currently working with developers at Coherent to solve the remaining issues. We are sorry for the inconvenience this causes. As for those issues, some of them can be worked around manually, depending on what the problem is. First you need to identify your particular problem:

1. When the game’s crash dialog shows up, click the “Show details >>” button.
2. Find the line that begins with “Assertion:”. It should be the second line.
3. Look up the remainder of that line in my following post.

If you do not get a crash dialog (as was the case with the freezing launcher), please still see if you have any crash dumps you can attach to a customer support ticket by following these instructions:

How to find the crash dumps

First of all, a sincere thank you if you do send your dumps to customer support. In order to find the dumps to attach to your ticket:

1. Hold the windows key on your keyboard, and press R. This will open a dialog titled “Run”.
2. In the Run dialog, type “%AppData%\Guild Wars 2” (without the quotes) and press enter.
3. A folder window should open. In this window, there should be a folder called “Coherent Dumps”.

Please send the files in the “Coherent Dumps” folder to customer support, together with the info on what crash you are specifically seeing. Do not post these dumps publicly.

Edit: Apparently our support system does not allow attachments. You’d think I’d have looked that up before posting this. Instead, just contact support and they can request the files. They may choose to sample though, so don’t get discouraged if they end up not asking for the files.

(edited by Johan Skold.4708)

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

Some specific crash solutions below. Please see my previous post for how to identify your issue.

Failed to extract file.

This means one of the binary files needed for the patch failed to be created, and usually means they are in use. First, ensure the game isn’t running. If it is, close it, wait a few seconds, and try again. If you still fail with the same error, check for a lingering “CoherentUI_Host.exe” process:

1. Ensure the game client is closed again.
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open up the task manager.
3. On the Processes tab (labelled Details in Windows 8 and 8.1), see if you have an entry that says “CoherentUI_Host.exe” in the “Image Name” column.
4. For each of those entries, click the entry to select it, and click the button near the bottom labelled “End Process”. Click “End process” if a confirmation window pops up.
5. Attempt to start the game.

If you still fail with the same error in the crash details, something else must be using the files. The easiest way to fix it if you get this far is to simply reboot your computer. If all of that fails, and you still experience the exact same problem: Try deleting the “bin” folder inside the game client’s folder (usually “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2”).

Edit: Apparently the steam client is also really good at keeping files open. Closing that may help.

Failed to load Coherent DLL: 0×1

This means that the DLL file may be broken. It might be due to a hardware error, a full hard drive, or some other error. The easiest way to attempt to solve this is to ensure you have some space free on your hard drive (50 MB at the absolute minimum, preferably at least 100 MB), and then deleting the bin folder that is inside your Guild Wars 2 folder. It should be re-created the next time you start the game. If that does not help, please contact customer support so we may collect some information on your hardware.

Unable to create ‘…’ (Where ‘…’ is a file name)

This means the game is unable to create the files needed to run it. There is unfortunately not much we can do at this point. Something is preventing us from creating the files we need, and nothing we could do would appear to solve that (including running as administrator). The most common cause is anti-virus software. As a test, you could try to white-list the game’s executable in your anti-virus, or even the game’s folder. Or even temporarily disable it while starting the game the first time. Please see your anti-virus manual for how to do that.

Timed out while creating browser view

This is an error that seems to just happen occasionally, and not all the time. Please correct me if you are seeing otherwise. If this happens to you, please follow the instructions at the bottom of my previous post, to send dump files to customer support. These dumps will help us track down the cause of your issue.

Timed out while creating browser context

The most common cause of this seems to be anti-virus software blocking the executable we use to display both the launcher and the black lion trading post. Note that this does not necessarily mean the anti-virus thinks it has found a virus, but it is somehow preventing the communication between the two processes. This is a known issue, and we are working to ensure it doesn’t happen. The only short-term solution is to white-list the executable in your anti-virus. As for how to do that, you will have to refer to the documentation of whatever anti-virus solution you may be using. To find the executable you need to white-list:

1. Navigate to the Guild Wars 2 folder (usually “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2”).
2. In this folder, find the folder named “bin” and navigate into it.
3. In this folder, you should find a file named “CoherentUI_Host.exe”. That is the file you should white-list.
4. You may also have to white-list “CoherentUI.dll” in the same folder, depending on your anti-virus. This doesn’t appear to be necessary for most cases however.

As per the previous crash, we would very much like to see dumps from this crash. Especially so if white-listing the process does not help. Please refer to the instructions at the bottom of my previous post.

m_system != NULL

The details for this crash is pretty much identical to the previous one. Please see the crash above.

(edited by Johan Skold.4708)

Squirty.9046

what happened back there was just a terrible distribution of patch…
its like a shared file of microsoft excel wherein, if everybody saves at the same time the file gets corrupt and only 1 can save on the same file. solution to that is to create a v2 of the same file w/out losing the content. so going back to coherent, its the same as i mentioned above. like i said its 100% fix to all users, unless anet will launch a separate installer for coherent that will make it easier for non-techy players….

Posted by: Udhir.6518

Udhir.6518

I have a question about this CoherentUI_Host.exe *32 process. While observing this in my Windows task manger>Process tab, I am finding 2 instances of Coherent running while in game. Is this going to be a normal situation? Should we have both?? As both Instances are~ 39K of Working set (Memory)…

Posted by: Baltov.9608

Baltov.9608

I remember so question can I have your frog mini :O

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I have a question about this CoherentUI_Host.exe *32 process. While observing this in my Windows task manger>Process tab, I am finding 2 instances of Coherent running while in game. Is this going to be a normal situation? Should we have both?? As both Instances are~ 39K of Working set (Memory)…

It seems that one instance is running at all times while in-game. The 2nd instance only launches upon accessing the gemstore/trading post. It will then close down after you close the TP/gem store.

The single instance that is always running while in-game is likely to allow your BLTP icon at the top of your screen to update and sync with your pickup tab when items/coin are ready for pick up. This idle one seems to sit around 12MB memory usage.

The 2nd instance is only running while the gem store/TP is actively open for it to function and update. This seems to fluctuate between 19-50MB memory usage while I have the TP open and then settle down to about 31MB if I leave the TP sit there without interacting with it.

This is my guess anyway.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

That is correct. You should be seeing one while the trading post is closed, and an additional one when you open the trading post or gem store. The first one is used for communication between the game and the browser, and the second one is used for rendering.

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

After the hotfix on 12 September 2014 the launcher hangs in the taskbar after reaching the ‘Initializing’ screen.

Is this still the case? If so, could you try deleting the “bin” folder inside the game folder (while the game is not running) and trying again?

Still not working for me. I submitted a ticket yesterday, and was sent the zip file, but that didn’t fix it. I’ve tried all of the solutions in the various threads, including a malware scan. I haven’t been able to download the new patch at all, and now I’ve missed the reset night for first week of WvW leagues.

Sorry for having you miss the start of the WvW tournament. Could you please identify your crash as per one of my previous posts?

The new patch created the problem for me -.-

Could you also please identify your crash as per one of my previous posts? Sorry for the inconvenience.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings
Make sure “Automatically detect settings” is UNchecked

With the patch today – I went in a changed this setting back so it is now checked.
Launcher loaded. No error msg from Coherent. No freezing and able to log in as per normal.

Thank you so much for your efforts on this matter! I hope those that haven’t been able to log in and play since the interruption will be able to now.

Glad it worked out for you!

Yahti.9321

Yes it is still refusing to launch even after deleting the bin folder and relaunching.

I tried patching an older version of Guild Wars 2 and it launched and let me log into the game world but as soon as I logged out and tried to relaunch it, it went back to the ‘initializing’ + freezing in the taskbar with no launcher in sight.

Ouranos.2954

Sorry for having you miss the start of the WvW tournament. Could you please identify your crash as per one of my previous posts?

Hi,
I read through your posts, however when I go through the details of the crash report, I can’t find any line (or even the word) that says “Assertion”. I have gotten two different errors: 258: The wait operation timed out, and 997 Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
I also cannot find any folder in the directory or anywhere else with the Coherent Dumps.

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

Hi,
I read through your posts, however when I go through the details of the crash report, I can’t find any line (or even the word) that says “Assertion”. I have gotten two different errors: 258: The wait operation timed out, and 997 Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
I also cannot find any folder in the directory or anywhere else with the Coherent Dumps.

It sounds like you’re seeing some entirely different error dialog, and not our crash dialog. Could you take a screenshot of it? Please ensure it doesn’t contain any sensitive information before posting though. Or if you’d rather, you can PM me a link to a screenshot.

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

Yes it is still refusing to launch even after deleting the bin folder and relaunching.

I tried patching an older version of Guild Wars 2 and it launched and let me log into the game world but as soon as I logged out and tried to relaunch it, it went back to the ‘initializing’ + freezing in the taskbar with no launcher in sight.

And you’re not seeing any crash dialog of any kind? Not even Windows’ default one? What happens if you let it sit there for a minute or two?

Ouranos.2954

It sounds like you’re seeing some entirely different error dialog, and not our crash dialog. Could you take a screenshot of it? Please ensure it doesn’t contain any sensitive information before posting though. Or if you’d rather, you can PM me a link to a screenshot.

PM’ed you.

Yahti.9321

After deleting the bin once more and trying to launch it several times, it finally launched. I logged into the game and played around a bit but I did not open the trading post. It seemed fairly stable so I logged out to test it and once again, it refuses to launch.

If I let it idle for a few minutes while being frozen in the task bar it does not transfer any data over the internet and its memory usage in the task manager remains the same. I’m not sure how long it could stay like that, I usually close it after around 10 minutes max.

I see the windows crash dialogue when it wont even launch to the ‘initializing’ screen.
I see the guild wars 2 crash dialogue when it manages to get to character select screen but crashes before entering the world.
I see no crash dialogue when it just hangs in the task bar.

Posted by: RushUnplugged.7408

RushUnplugged.7408

Whitelisting the whole \bin\ folder in my antivirus worked.

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

PM’ed you.

Your error appears to be a more serious hard drive error. Windows is failing to write/read files to/from disk (for the two error respectively). You may want to run Windows’ disk check on the drive. If possible you could also try to copy the game to another drive and run it from there.

After deleting the bin once more and trying to launch it several times, it finally launched. I logged into the game and played around a bit but I did not open the trading post. It seemed fairly stable so I logged out to test it and once again, it refuses to launch.

If I let it idle for a few minutes while being frozen in the task bar it does not transfer any data over the internet and its memory usage in the task manager remains the same. I’m not sure how long it could stay like that, I usually close it after around 10 minutes max.

I see the windows crash dialogue when it wont even launch to the ‘initializing’ screen.
I see the guild wars 2 crash dialogue when it manages to get to character select screen but crashes before entering the world.
I see no crash dialogue when it just hangs in the task bar.

This is the first time I hear about an issue like this. Do you know if you are behind a proxy? There are sites that will tell you (such as amibehindaproxy.com). Negatives are not necessarily 100% accurate on them though, but positives should definitely be. Also do you have an anti-virus installed? Does it help if you whitelist the Guild Wars 2 folder?

Whitelisting the whole \bin\ folder in my antivirus worked.

Sorry you had to do that to begin with, but glad that it worked.

Previous

Johan Skold

Lead Engine Programmer

Next

PM’ed you.

Your error appears to be a more serious hard drive error. Windows is failing to write/read files to/from disk (for the two error respectively). You may want to run Windows’ disk check on the drive. If possible you could also try to copy the game to another drive and run it from there.

Actually, one more thing you could try is to check your task manager to see if Gw2.exe is already running. I don’t expect that to be causing this, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

Yahti.9321

The website said “You do not have a proxy server or filtered internet activated.”
Yes, I use Bitdefender Total Security.

I’ve been testing deleting the bin folder and trying to launch the game for around 3 minutes before starting again. It takes around 30~ tries to get a successful launch.
The whole thing seems very random since I managed to successfully enter the game world again just now.

Edit: I whitelisted the bin folder and it made no difference. I’ll try the entire Guild Wars 2 folder as well.

(edited by Yahti.9321)

Ouranos.2954

PM’ed you.

Actually, one more thing you could try is to check your task manager to see if Gw2.exe is already running. I don’t expect that to be causing this, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

I did a disk check, and repaired some errors it had. Tried running gw2 after but same failure. When I tried to copy the game to a dif drive it gives an error: “Can’t read from source file or disk: Gw2.dat”

I thought it might be the exe continuing to run a few times, so I’ve been regularly checking task manager but it’s not running.

Ouranos.2954

Should I just reinstall the game completely, or will I have the same problems?

Yahti.9321

Haha…I finally found the problem.
It was a compatibility mode setting I had enabled.
I simply disabled it and let it run in the default Windows 7 mode = success.

Thanks for all your help, Johan Skold and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

Posted by: Yifang.8260

Yifang.8260

That hot fix has not alleviated the tp problems for me, it loaded once and crashed twice since I tried…. If possible build a tp that doesn’t need browsers as that’s clearly a big problem that I’ve never seen exist in other mmorpgs. At the very least at least the staff here are giving info, why aren’t we getting such a service with the mac support threads?!

many players are still stuck and i was able to fix this on my own.
technically after the patch it made everybody sad coz of coherent,for others, it fixed it using internet options.
100% fix to all users and there are two ways:
1. if u r not a technical person – uninstall the game and then go to your gw2 folder and delete the coherent file manually. then re-install the game.
2 if u r lazy but too technical – delete the current coherent file and re-install a new one(this one saved my time)

Hasn’t worked for me, prevented the game starting up as well first try after the delete.

That is correct. You should be seeing one while the trading post is closed, and an additional one when you open the trading post or gem store. The first one is used for communication between the game and the browser, and the second one is used for rendering.

With a failed tp load that extra gw2 process cuts out and tries to get back but again vanishes.

(edited by Yifang.8260)

Squirty.9046

Yifang

then go to the 1st one, make sure you do it correctly.
ive fixed 7 users here, my friend, neighbors etc. using the 2nd step and it all worked and we are playing gw2 now.

BTW, thanks anet admin… even its laggy then being disconnected, i can still get my rewards after reconnecting. this is a total BOOST of progress of the game.thumbs-up here in the philippines.

Posted by: AxOw.3820

AxOw.3820

Today i check back option “Automatically detect settings” and everything seems to work well, but yesterday i had windows blue screen which i didn’t had never from years using my system, after restart widows was working normal again, i hope windows isn’t crashed or something, of course i was doing the system scan for malware and nothing found.

Yifang.8260

No haven’t the patience to wait for a 30gb download, having said that it’s taking the staff much longer than the 5-7 hrs I’d need to redownload the whole game… Just to clarify step 2 has actually made my game worse, I didn’t crash before even getting the game up, only the crashing tp is my problem and that’s a big problem of course, so beware anyone else that tries step 2, nevertheless sounded like a good suggestion and as Squirty says it has worked for some… (And that’s a lot more help than what I’ve gotten from any Anet staff)

Deleting the bin folder is far from a technical procedure anyway, plenty have tried to redownload the game and all it did was give a game that won’t start or even complete the download so that puts me off for sure. There was a workaround in April where you rename the game and start to download a new client, stop and then name back the original client, not sure why but that did allow a non loading tp to work (Until Anet did a weekend patch that failed to solve the problem…)

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

My launcher works fine now and I can use TP without crashing, but now the launcher won’t autoload. I need to click play button for the taco to kick in. It’s not a big deal to click one button but was wondering what’s causing it? At times it also forgets my password.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Ouranos.2954

I did a deeper scan disk and then reinstalled – works fine now! Woohoo! Thanks for all the help.

Yifang.8260

Seems to be a bit better, the tp processes aren’t committing suicide all the time now but tomorrow is a new day, we’ll see if that holds.

Posted by: Custer.6217

Custer.6217

After getting in touch with support, and following various instructions, today I’ve been back in action – so big thanks to Tim, and Robert D!

Posted by: phystic.9567

phystic.9567

Yifang, I am having the identical non-window appearing after initialization problem as you. the window is totally invisible and appears only in the task bar or if you max/minimize it you briefly see it. I use avg without firewall and steam on win 7 -64bit problem existed since the update and continues to have the support team baffled. I miss the old days of computing.

Posted by: phystic.9567

phystic.9567

question for tech support. what is required to draw the window right after “initialization” that is what is not working correctly

Yifang.8260

May be jinxing it but only had 1 crash yesterday from the tp, seems to be improving. Support finally tells me they will get in touch, let’s hope. I am not using any antivirus so baffles me too. Actually yes the max/minimise did make the tp work once for me. The old tp for me was pretty unreliable at least till April’s feature pack.

Posted by: Toshi Yan Sen.7530

Toshi Yan Sen.7530

Since the last patch, a week ago, I tried every day.
Launcher began downloading for a few seconds, initializing and disappearing rightaway.
Yesterday and today it doesn´t even download anything, but it keeps initializing and disappearing rightaway.
My OS is Windows 7 Professional on a 128 GB ssd. I don´t use anti-virus, nor firewall.
Windows task manager shows 2 instances of CoherentUI_Host.exe *32.
I tried several of the above suggestions, like reinstalling the game and moving the Guild Wars 2 folder. Emptying the bin folder, and launching immediately fills up the bin folder but changes nothing.
My Coherent Dumps folder has been empty all the time.
I really hope there will be a fix soon.

(edited by Toshi Yan Sen.7530)

Posted by: Biggin.3871

Biggin.3871

I have been dealing with the disappearing window since the add on I have tried every option offered, today I disabled my Nvidia GT640, clicked on the GW2 shortcut and yes I could see the regular login screen, my driver date was 7/2/2014 trying to install 7/29/2014 version of driver and see if that helps, all of you with this problem do we share the a common interest i.e. nvidia cards?..Okay latest driver no change…no driver arena launcher comes up, going to try rollback driver..337.88

YES success ! I was running GW2 day before the update no problems SOMETHING in that download changed NVIDIA to 16 bit instead of 32 bit that it was originally!

(edited by Biggin.3871)