(This idea is different than other Vanquishing threads, I promise!)
Ever wish you could just enjoy team combat in Dungeons? Tired of all the linear, SCRIPTED events inside Explorable dungeons and Fractals? I present to you: Vanquishing!
No locked doors, no gimmicks, no cutscenes, no stupid NPCs, no pre-determined, linear pathway, and NO SCRIPTED EVENTS! Just sweet, sweet combat and exploration.
Imagine you are thrown right inside the middle of Arah. EVERYTHING is opened up to you, your team can explore wherever they wish, and your only objective is to clear all the foes.
Just like in GW1, Vanquishing maps were wide and open. Teams could Vanquish wherever they want, and in any order they want.
Imagine guilds competing for the fastest times, as what would norally be a team of 5 spread to clear different areas of the map, with a team of 2 clearing one side, and a team of 3 clearing another.
Furthermore, imagine there were penalties for wiping. Imagine that if you were to wipe and fail a lot, you would be booted? Imagine if because of the risk, the rewards were worth the effort?
I think GW2 should borrow from Vanquishing in GW1, and adapt them into dungeon maps. Such a thing could only mean good for the end game.
- After clearing Story Mode, an option opens to create “Vanquishing Mode”.
- Rather than the normal entrance, you and your team are warped into the center of the dungeon map. There are no doors or scripted events to block your progress.
- Clear all foes.
- There are no waypoints. The only way to respawn is for your team to wipe.
- Reconnecting while others are in combat will spawn you dead.
- A player can wipe themselves by typing up /resign. However, doing so will accumulate death penalty.
Death Penalty and Motivational Boost:
- Each time your team wipes, you accumulate 2% death penalty, reducing all your stats by the percentage of death penalty. If your team exceeds 10% death penalty, you are kicked out.
- Killing foes reduces death penalty.
- Defeating a champion grants you 2% motivational boost, which buffs all stats by the percentage.
- In addition, killing a champion always reduces death penalty 2%.
- At the end of a Vanquish, an end boss appears. Defeat him, and earn your chest!
- 3 to 10 gold (depending on dungeon)
- Chance at exclusive weapon skins (Bone Dragon Staff, Silverwing Flatbow, Voltiac Spear, Eternal Blade, Obsidian Edge, etc…)
- Chance at Precursors (depending dungeon)
- Obsidian Shards
- Black Lion Keys
- Ascended Weapons
- Ascended Armoor
- Dungeon Tokens
- Complete all Vanquisher dungeons to obtain Legendary Vanquisher of Dungeons title.
I’ve uploaded a small GW1-inspired infographic what Arah vanquishing could look like on the minimap.