Hey all. Like most people who are into fractals/dungeons I was more than a bit disappointed with the announcement of the fractal update due to the removal of my progression equity, negating the hard work we put in to push to level 80 under the old system. As unfortunate as that was, a few of the changes they announced gave us hope that the changes would be fun and what we would gain from the patch would be worth giving up what we lost.
However, after getting to Fractal 50 I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this patch was rushed and botched. I will explain, in depth, why I argue this. But first, I want to give a general critique of the lack of communication from Arena Net in failing to answer all the many, many questions that people have posted in the forums. It’s been complete silence, and quite frankly it sends the message that we all suspected: Anet doesn’t particularly care about the end game PVE content and definitely doesn’t care about the community of players who do. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but I think it is a bad PR move to drop a huge patch and then disappear. While we could excuse them for being gone on a holiday weekend, the fact that the devs continued to post in PVP/WVW threads is troubling.
With all that said, I want to use the remainder of this post to make a comprehensive log of every bug or problem currently in Fractals. Some of these things may be developer intended, some may be genuine bugs and some might be an issue of someone on the Living Story team responsible for this update not doing his job properly. A developer response on each item would be greatly appreciated. Without further delay…
Fractal Rewards Issues
• The loot table is currently broken as it was before the patch and was not updated. Currently, the shard end chests do not scale loot based on your level and you get the same blue/greens/rares/exotics/cores on 49 as you would on 1. The only thing that scales is the Fractal Relics and daily chest gold bonus.
• Uninfused Rings continue to drop through level 49. An infused ring at 49 is bad enough, an uninfused ring is a slap in the face. This is obviously broken and needs to be fixed.
• Fractal weapon skins continue to drop, fractal weapon boxes do not currently exist. We were promised that weapon skins would be delivered in a box that would allow us to choose the skin we wanted. This was, for players like me, the number one selling point of this update and the reason why I would run fractal dailies every day now instead of farming dungeons. The item code exists in the game but the brackets by the name indicates that the item itself does not. My theory is that this change was planned, but the LS team responsible for this update failed to get it implemented by the deadline. A simple, “we wanted to implement it but didn’t get it done in time. We will add them next patch” would suffice.
• The new recipes are account bound. I have both recipes now, each new recipe that drops is useless for me, these should be sellable. It wouldn’t hurt the market for the Runes/Sigils since they are very limited by Shards which are a relatively scarce resource.
Individual Fractal Bugs/Issues
• Krait still get stuck in the ceiling and you have to hope you can get far enough away from them to reset them or else your progress could be lost. Granted this is the first part of the first fractal, but it is still technically a game-breaking bug and ought to be fixed out of principle.
• The arms seals do not properly reset to 2 chanters on each side in case of a wipe. This is mildly annoying in the 30’s for a good group. This is pretty tough in the 40’s and will only get more difficult for unorganized groups as progress into the 50’s and beyond begins to happen. This was supposed to have been fixed months ago but that promised change appears to have not happened and been forgotten.
• I applaud the devs for trying to fix the Archdiviner exploit which trivialized the encounter. However, their fix is pretty lame. Essentially, the Archdiviner gets 2-3 seconds of free attacks on the party. On several occasions a party member has been given 3 stacks of agony because he spawned the red circles under him during the stun phase. This isn’t a huge deal with max AR, but for people with imperfect gear it becomes a simple RNG gear check which is not how the encounter was intended to be.