A plea to nerf Dwayna (Arah p4/Seer path)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

Hi everyone,

I have attempted this dungeon path several times over the past month, and each time we fail at the same spot : Dwayna.

After the recent update, I had a hope she would be easier with the sparks change, but it really didn’t do anything for the fight. Now, I’m not here just to complain “Waah I can’t do it! Help!”. I want to explain in detail how frustrating this boss is.

Let’s look first of all at other dungeons. Every single path, be it story or explorable, of every dungeon is do-able with a pick up group. Some paths require coordination (Sorrow’s Embrace p1) and some are harder than others, but really all of them are do-able. If you look at the other paths in Arah, they are all relatively difficult but really you can finish them with an OK team, you don’t need perfect builds and such.

Now let’s look at Arah p4 :
The path is slightly harder than most, with Grenth also being an annoying fight (the first part anyway), but it’s only when you get to Dwayna (Simin) that it really becomes unfair.

The last party I had just now was perfectly coordinated. 3 DPS warriors with berserker gear, 1 person on tear/doing a bit of DPS when he could, and we were running the sparks in around 10-15 seconds max. We even used the 4/5 trick, where you pre-place sparks and let her heal to max so you only need to place 1 spark next time.

No go.

Not even close in fact. We only got her down to around 30% once and maybe 35-40% the rest of the time.

In total I have fought Dwayna for about 12 hours if not more. Each time we became more and more coordinated, adjusted our builds to DPS as much as possible, tried different spots (although it’s pretty clear the best place to fight her is on the south wall so you don’t mess up Spark aggro, we tried fighting her in the middle or outside the cave too), etc. Each time we failed in the same way.

I have no idea what we are expected to do better here. Almost everyone I see with Dungeon Master had completed this path when you could hit her when she was stealthed.

I don’t understand how this fight is supposed to be fun. It’s not even challenging, it’s incredibly tedious. It’s a DPS check 1.5-2 hours into a dungeon —- and it’s not a normal DPS check, it’s a ridiculous one. I’ve been in more than 1 team that was well coordinated, with well geared players all geared towards DPS that still couldn’t down her.

I check gw2lfg.com for groups, and I often see people offering to pay 5g or 10g per person just to get a group to beat her! That is NOT NORMAL!

Please, do something. Make her heal 1/3rd of what she does now and she will still be difficult for inexperienced players. The path will still be long so people will still run p2/3 instead. Anything really, to make he possible.

Once you understand the fight mechanics, you SHOULD be able to beat her, but that really isn’t the case.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

My last team had one warrior, one guardian, one thief and two necroes (one had blue/green gear, 700 ach points). We got it done in 10-15 mins.
I seriously don’t understand what you are doing if you have three 3 DPS warriors and can’t do it.

Kurr.4179

We started with :

2 eles, 1 ranger, 1 thief, 1 warrior

After an hour of failures we switched characters to

1 ele, 1 ranger, 3 warriors.

Still no go.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

She’s called Simin, not Dwayna.

Posted by: Towren.1745

Towren.1745

we were running the sparks in around 10-15 seconds max

From my understanding, this seems to be your problem. 15 seconds is far to long for the sparks.

Recipe for Disaster
Guild Leader
[EU] Desolation

Kurr.4179

we were running the sparks in around 10-15 seconds max

From my understanding, this seems to be your problem. 15 seconds is far to long for the sparks.

I’m not certain how you can be faster. We had a dedicated person for the 3 north ones (he stayed up there and waited for next batch) and 1 person doing tears/2 south ones as soon as she went invulnerable.

We tried having all 5 people attack her too, did much worse because of slower sparks.

Maybe 15s is longer than we took, more like 10s. It’s just an approximation.

Anyway, seems like I will just have to pay a bunch of players 10g each to do this.

Wethospu.6437

If you are in EU take me with you some time and I promise we get it done (or invite just for Simin, I don’t really care about completion).

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

My last team had one warrior, one guardian, one thief and two necroes (one had blue/green gear, 700 ach points). We got it done in 10-15 mins.
I seriously don’t understand what you are doing if you have three 3 DPS warriors and can’t do it.

It depends if you did it before or after the Jan 28th update, I did this with Kurr today. We didnt wipe even once (during the dungeon before Dwayna/Simin), great party

I remember reading somewhere they would reduce the sparks from 5 to 3. Guess not.
And Simin’s healing is obsurd, and we had good runners for the sparks anyhow.

Seems to be a bug, cant be sure though

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Needs no nerf, our guild always manages Simin on first try.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Kurr.4179

It depends if you did it before or after the Jan 28th update, I did this with Kurr today. We didnt wipe even once (during the dungeon before Dwayna/Simin), great party

I remember reading somewhere they would reduce the sparks from 5 to 3. Guess not.

Yep, 4/5 in our party had fought Dwayna before and knew what to do. People were geared, and players had 5.3k achiev pts, 4.5k and 4.3k and the other 2 were not newbs either. I know achievement points don’t mean skill, but there were no new players or anything.

haviz.1340

We did it today, but there were virtually no changes to simin, just some tuning to sparks. And like Weth said, we wiped multiple times yet we killed simin in 10-15 minutes. Must be an issue with your party.

Kurr.4179

We did it today, but there were virtually no changes to simin, just some tuning to sparks. And like Weth said, we wiped multiple times yet we killed simin in 10-15 minutes. Must be an issue with your party.

Yep. Must be an issue with the several parties over the last month that I’ve had easily go through the rest of the dungeon to hit a road block suddenly at this boss.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Are you and team using:

1. Warriors using greatswords as their main attack specced into DPS Traits?
2. Everyone using a powerful potion vs undead
3. Everyone using a +Power food nourishment buff
4. Everyone using a Bloodlust sigil that was charged to 25 before fighting Simin
5. Having the least DPS be the main tear person (I.e. Non- warrior)
6. Ensuring these people who claim to be zerker, actually are zerker with gear checks
7. Wearing Ascended Rings and Backpieces
8. Running proper warrior builds: (FGJ, OMM, Banners)

No? Didn’t think so. And not that you need all these, I have done her with less but if you do have problems, try using some of these.

Posted by: Winneh.2064

Winneh.2064

We just killed her an hour ago, after a few tries.
Just as everyone explained – 4/5 trick, ranged guys stay ranged to shorten the spark distance (one of em doing the tears) and 4 guys went off to get the sparks as quickly as possible (5-7 secs tops, start running when she turns invulnerable).

Its pretty much all about the timing with the sparks.
If you get the timing right, shes np at all.

(edited by Winneh.2064)

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

Another thing to note and verify is if your tear tosser is allowing anyone to be petrified for more than 1-2s, they are doing it wrong.

Kurr.4179

I understand all this strategy stuff, and we did most of that (foods, etc).

I just want people to understand that this is the ONLY boss fight in any dungeon path that requires anywhere near this level of preparation, and that you can still completely fail despite preparing intensely.

I just think it needs to be consistent with the rest of dungeons. It’s OK for one fight to be more challenging than others, but this is not challenging. It’s just tedious, hitting you head against a wall for hours in the hope that it works.

You absolutely cannot do this dungeon path without a premade group that knows what they are doing. If you manage it, you are lucky IMO.

haviz.1340

I just want people to understand that this is the ONLY boss fight in any dungeon path that requires anywhere near this level of preparation, and that you can still completely fail despite preparing intensely.

I just think it needs to be consistent with the rest of dungeons. It’s OK for one fight to be more challenging than others, but this is not challenging. It’s just tedious, hitting you head against a wall for hours in the hope that it works.

You absolutely cannot do this dungeon path without a premade group that knows what they are doing. If you manage it, you are lucky IMO.

What are you babbling about? What premade groups? Done it countless times with pugs What preparations? There are none if you exclude getting ~20 tears.

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

And who says every dungeon has to be equal?

Other then DM title, there is nothing unique about Path 4 if you just want skins/exotics, which you can get by running other Paths.

Almost every dungeon has one path that is harder then the other 2, it gives people a way to still get tokens while allowing more organized groups to experience more of a challenge to complete the achievement.

DM title isn’t a necessity and you aren’t entitled to it.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Arah is the hardest dungeon, Arah is the only dungeon with 4 paths, and the 4th path is longer and requires more organization then other dungeons and Arah paths. It’s basically the “bonus” dungeon to challenge people for DM title as far as I’m concerned.

Every game would be really boring if every single dungeon/boss was the same difficulty and you never had different challenges.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

With another try at p4 after patch i think they probably didn’t do a thing.

Sparks still go through the “cage” and they might bug if a single person agros 4 of them.
Simin is bugged as hell.
We had him at 10% then she stealth’s and heals to 35-40% (when we finish sparks) just so 10s later she stealth’s back again and obviously gets 50+%.

And the boss requires bug to kill it. We tried not to exploit the 4-1 trick but we could never get past phase 1. Atm 4-1 is required to get a reliable chance that the boss wont get a never ending phase 1.

Just make slower hp regen and fix stealth mechanic (at least the kitten timers on phase 2).
Also reduce the number of wisps but make them appear on a random area. Like of the 5 only 3 appear and not always on the same spot (but inside the cave inside X range of statue).

Kurr.4179

Other then DM title, there is nothing unique about Path 4 if you just want skins/exotics, which you can get by running other Paths.

Almost every dungeon has one path that is harder then the other 2, it gives people a way to still get tokens while allowing more organized groups to experience more of a challenge to complete the achievement.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Arah is the hardest dungeon, Arah is the only dungeon with 4 paths, and the 4th path is longer and requires more organization then other dungeons and Arah paths. It’s basically the “bonus” dungeon to challenge people for DM title as far as I’m concerned.

Every game would be really boring if every single dungeon/boss was the same difficulty and you never had different challenges.

I don’t think you really understand.

We did have preparation. We did have a pre-made team. We were organized. We did have good gear.

It’s not that this boss fight is 1 step harder then the rest. It’s 10 steps harder.

The only way I can see us winning is with a perfect group, all gear with up to date ascended gear, all using the best food possible. Trying to assemble such a group is nearly impossible. The best you can legitimately ask for is a group with exotics/berserker that will listen, and you can send them food if need be.

I know the guy up there said he did it with someone with blue gear but I have no idea how someone is supposed to achieve that to be honest. Like the above person said, to even have A CHANCE, you need to trick the game with 4/5. That’s not good game design.

*edit : And I wouldn’t complain if this was a matter of skill, with hard to dodge attacks and such. But this is pure min-maxing and luck (like the above person said, sometimes she only stealths for like 10 seconds).

Posted by: Reiven.2543

Reiven.2543

I have no idea what we are expected to do better here. Almost everyone I see with Dungeon Master had completed this path when you could hit her when she was stealthed.

Just gonna say that while i dont have my dungeon master yet i have finished simin after the nerf to the stealth trick so it can be done.

Fort Aspenwood GW1 Bittervet….
Reiven Kloak-Warrior / Pizza Pirate-Engineer
Charr Grilled Fish-Ranger

Flameseeker.1563

Just gonna say that while i dont have my dungeon master yet i have finished simin after the nerf to the stealth trick so it can be done.

Couldn’t comprehend, you did it without using the 4/5 trick? And what nerf are you talking about?
Also in any of the attempts did simin stealthed back after ~10s?

The problem isn’t that the fight isn’t doable but it’s a badly designed (the guys responsible for the design should hang himself in shame) and so buggy that you got to rely on luck.

So far this fight is exactly the same before and after nerf for the reasons i mentioned in my earlier post. There’s no skill whatsoever in this path, just bring the best dps combo you can find and pray for sparks and the boss to cooperate with your party.

(edited by Flameseeker.1563)

Posted by: x per fection x.2096

x per fection x.2096

I did this 3 times after stealth trick and before this recent update just using 4-1 method, got first try everytime. Its just raw dps, if your having trouble then someone might be lying about what gear their using.

If your tear tosser doesn’t understand the timing of the tears then you will also probably fail.

If using the 4-1 method make sure that the guy running the last spark is right beside it ready to go so you get max time to dps. Timewarp is your friend.

[Ark]Noober

Wethospu.6437

4-1 trick only allows you to win if your spark runners suck and you got huge DPS. For “normal” teams it simply gives a starting boost.
Also there’s really nothing magical at that 50%-health. She will hide at 50% ONLY if she would have normally hid already.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I just love the point of realization where people realize “ kitten they re-tuned the dungeon to be easier (spark behavior) and I STILL can’t manage to do it. Must be unbalanced!!”

To be honest, I downed her with 1 friend and 3 other from gw2lfg.com. And this was before the patch that fixed sparks.

We had 0 warriors.

It took 5 heal phases to kill her.

Learn how to plug in your sparks.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

George Steel.1804

Another thing to note and verify is if your tear tosser is allowing anyone to be petrified for more than 1-2s, they are doing it wrong.

This is what most people fail to understand. Here’s the free tip for the day: Tear thrower should be pre-shooting (throwing a tear onto dpser’s ontop of Simin every 1-3 seconds)

Stack more tears and spam more = safer bet for unhindered DPS

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Wethospu.6437

Why would you spam tears when you can look debuffs from party-UI?

George Steel.1804

Because tear throwing has a cast time. If you see the debuff, then throw, you’ve wasted 3 seconds of DPS.

Instead, I threw a tear every two seconds, and we completed it with 0 warriors on my first attempt ever at Simin. But what do I know.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Wethospu.6437

No worries, we are all here to learn.
Simin uses Dark Pact about every 5 seconds to apply “Dead Eyed Stare”-debuff. This debuff slows your movement and lasts about 10 seconds (another Dark Pact won’t renew the duration). In party-ui (non-simplified) this shows as a purple icon.
When “Dead Eyed Stare” ends you get “Petrify”-debuff (I’m sure we all know the effect). In party-ui this shows as green icon.
Because you don’t often need mouse to play you can quite freely hover over debuffs in party-ui and see when “Dead Eyed Stare” is about to end. This allows very precise curing. Most importantly this allows your 5th guy also do damage which further boosts your success chances.

Also Stability prevents “Petrify”-effect when it gets applied (when “Dead Eyed Stare” ends or when “Petrify” renews), especially useful if you run sparks when meleeing.

But as I have previously stated, Simin is not that hard that you would need to play optimally.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

haviz.1340

Because tear throwing has a cast time. If you see the debuff, then throw, you’ve wasted 3 seconds of DPS.

Instead, I threw a tear every two seconds, and we completed it with 0 warriors on my first attempt ever at Simin. But what do I know.

Throw it before petrify? Person that’s gonna be petrify has Deadeye’s Stare debuff with a timer.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Oh, just bring a warrior in MF gear and level 15 accessories.

Posted by: Winneh.2064

Winneh.2064

Flameseeker

We had him at 10% then she stealth’s and heals to 35-40% (when we finish sparks) just so 10s later she stealth’s back again and obviously gets 50+%.

And the boss requires bug to kill it.

Thats not true, you guys just werent fast enough.
We killed her last night with a necro, mesmer, thief 2x warrior and we were not wearing full GC gear.
Its all about the timing to get the sparks in place quick enough.
We havent encountered a bug tho, just us not beeing fast enough during our first tries.
You dont have to waste tears aswell, dps with 5 guys and make sure only 1 of them is doing the tear job. Use Teamspeak and watch your debuffs, it comes with a timer so the tear guy can prepare throwing AND do dps.

Iehova.9518

Which reminds me, does the 4-1 feature still work?

Also, is it still possible to pull her outside her comfort zone by the statue?

(edited by Iehova.9518)

Flameseeker.1563

Sure it wasn’t true. It’s rather difficult to count to ten and watch the boss stealth again…
We dropped her to 10% after 4-1 so it wasn’t lack of dps. We didn’t have much luck with sparks (hence the 35% hp after next run) but we had more than enough dps to kill simin in 60s.

About petrify it’s rather easy to get it done. When dead eye stare start to flash quickly on party UI just throw the tear (you’ll instantly remove petrify like this).

Wethospu.6437

Did this again, so boringly easy when everyone has nearly full exotics.

Iehova.9518

Such is the life of a DM.

Strifey.7215

We did have preparation. We did have a pre-made team. We were organized. We did have good gear.

It’s not that this boss fight is 1 step harder then the rest. It’s 10 steps harder.

The only way I can see us winning is with a perfect group, all gear with up to date ascended gear, all using the best food possible. Trying to assemble such a group is nearly impossible. The best you can legitimately ask for is a group with exotics/berserker that will listen, and you can send them food if need be.

I know the guy up there said he did it with someone with blue gear but I have no idea how someone is supposed to achieve that to be honest. Like the above person said, to even have A CHANCE, you need to trick the game with 4/5. That’s not good game design.

*edit : And I wouldn’t complain if this was a matter of skill, with hard to dodge attacks and such. But this is pure min-maxing and luck (like the above person said, sometimes she only stealths for like 10 seconds).

I agree it’s a dps check, but I’ve personally run this path multiple times without ever failing, and there’s a dude in my guild whose trying to get the bloodstone shard recipe and has done this path over 20+ times, even with pugs and un-optimal classes.

It’s not as crazy a min-max as you say, I mean I did this before ascended gear was even out and in a half pug group with a terrible ele, but yes you still want everyone in dps gear to make it easy.

This is the method we use, there’s a skip to Simin at the start, I’ve never needed to go past a 2nd spark pull, even in this video we had a bad spark pull at 50% because one leashed, and we still got it, so there’s plenty of room for error. Not to mention this was before the 28th patch so I imagine it’s even faster to spark run now.

Also everyone should have stability so you don’t waste time with petrify and tears unless you run out of stability.

(edited by Strifey.7215)

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

The way Simin heals for a large amount of %, requires you to have a full dps team.

What this means is that if you have a none dps build, then you are of no use for the team. So in turn you are obligated to have another set of gear with dps stats on it. Well go ahead and spend all that gold on it only for a few fights here and there.( I built my engineer from a pve build to a dungeon build, and it works perfectly fine, but it looks like for this one fight I will need a whole new set of everything?… that’s not right.)

There really isn’t any reason why I should have to change my support build to full dps to succeed in this fight (not that I dont have any power) but you shouldn’t be obligated to do so.

This is almost exactly like the holy trinity, without a tank, healer and dd you more than likely will not succeed. So without a full dps team, you more than likely will not succeed.

This goes against everything Anet stands for. They said that ANY type of build can get you through a hard boss battle. But this one fight doesn’t seem to be the case.

The mechanics for this boss are all wrong imo. They need to change the way the fight goes. They need to have a more interactive, coordinated and strategic way of defeating this boss instead of spamming dps on him.

Just my thoughts.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

haviz.1340

I agree it’s a dps check, but I’ve personally run this path multiple times without ever failing, and there’s a dude in my guild whose trying to get the bloodstone shard recipe and has done this path over 20+ times, even with pugs and un-optimal classes.

It’s not as crazy a min-max as you say, I mean I did this before ascended gear was even out and in a half pug group with a terrible ele, but yes you still want everyone in dps gear to make it easy.

This is the method we use, there’s a skip to Simin at the start, I’ve never needed to go past a 2nd spark pull, even in this video we had a bad spark pull at 50% because one leashed, and we still got it, so there’s plenty of room for error. Not to mention this was before the 28th patch so I imagine it’s even faster to spark run now.

Also everyone should have stability so you don’t waste time with petrify and tears unless you run out of stability.

Since 28th patch sparks shouldn’t even leash like in your case.

Few runs back, we did it with 1 warrior, 1 thief, 1 guardian and 2 necros. One necro had blue/green gear and it didn’t take us more than 10 minutes including preparations of tears and explaining the enoucnter. If you still think you need tons of preparations and unimaginable dps you simply need to step up your game and use that thing between your ears that’s supposed to do something.

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

Hey Kurr, Its me Kratos

I was with Kurr during this run. We had an amazing group, in terms of skill. To say there was something wrong with are party is absurd

However I was reviewing the boss fight we had, and heres the problem: The factors which resulted in our demise has ZERO to due with player skill, rather the mechanic of the boss battle itself
1. The sparks are truly a hit or miss when it comes to kiting them to the circles, they randomly could fly past and still not be locked in, this is frustrating and it clearly out of the players control, only wasted ample time to dps the boss
2. PETRIFIED, despite having 3 dps warriors literally kitten Simin, I still remember times where either one of us was petrified for a few seconds too long, the frustration waiting to be teared is another annoying factor, more reliant on timing, simple observation and absolute attention from the people assigned to throw them.
3. Another observation (correct me if im wrong) the bosses regen after every disappearance INCREASES everytime, to a point where its simply unforgiving. One to many screw ups (due to sparks or being petrified too long) and her regen is simply too much.

Running the sparks, being petrified and throwing the tears in time, and the regen mechanic of Simin. Less about skill of the player and more being subjected to the mechanics of the fight

The hardest boss fight, which purely involves and dependent on skill of the player for example is Gigantus Lipucus.

Simin/Dwayna on the other hand, is purely about doing a tedious tasks in order the fight the boss itself. So looking at the posts above, I believe although we were a superior in skill and gear group, however other people/groups were more capable of running the sparks and throwing the tears more efficiently than we, which i think why we didn’t do well.

Theres my 2 cents, I would generally like to here anyone else who did the run after the Jan 28th update

Edit: Watched some videos on youtube and had some new thoughts. I do believe this boss was designed to be dps’d by the entire group and being in close proximity to the sparks and tears, so at least 2 members can kite the sparks and be back to help dps the boss, which we could have done better

(edited by Tzozef.9841)

Wethospu.6437

What you guys are simply asking is to make this fight a button-smash like 99% of the other fights. This is one of the very few fights where you need people who need to know what they are doing, and it really shows on forums.
I really don’t know how highly you people think of yourselves but 99% of the encounters are simply button-smash where you do random stuff and still win.
With Simin you simply can’t have as much as dead-weight as on average encounter. You need people who can run sparks, you need people who know how tears work, you need people who understand how to deal damage (newsflash: change utility skill/traits, use consumables)
But in the end, it’s still easy and you don’t need hyper min-max DPS ascended gear, classes or builds.

And seriously, you think you have superior skill but somehow “worse” people manage to do it? You should just accept the truth and look ways to improve (ask if needed).

I’m willing to carry any team at Simin, just send me a message if I’m on. I have never failed at Simin, regardless of classes, skill levels or gear.

Edit: and if you pulled her out and tried to fight there you deserve to lose. :P

Flameseeker.1563

Wethosupu, I agree that simin, or any other boss for that matter, shouldn’t be button smash but at the moment anet definition of difficult is either too much hp or insane mechanics.

With Simin i know that my team should get stuck the 1st time it got there. The whole group was new to the fight and we weren’t setup to face the challenge (and yes we thought fighting outside was a good idea to keep the ranger’s pet away from sparks. The kitten drake was a spar magnet…)
But yesterday was just unbearable. We weren’t all glass-cannons but using 4-1 we could burn 85-90% hp (isn’t that good enough dps?).

Dps check should never be used as an excuse for difficulty. Skill is what you show when you solo those dungeons, this fight is all about gear and luck for things not to bug.

Strifey.7215

Since 28th patch sparks shouldn’t even leash like in your case.

Few runs back, we did it with 1 warrior, 1 thief, 1 guardian and 2 necros. One necro had blue/green gear and it didn’t take us more than 10 minutes including preparations of tears and explaining the enoucnter. If you still think you need tons of preparations and unimaginable dps you simply need to step up your game and use that thing between your ears that’s supposed to do something.

Yea I figured the 28th patch would fix that which would give even more leeway to groups who aren’t maximized for dps.

Wethospu.6437

Wethosupu, I agree that simin, or any other boss for that matter, shouldn’t be button smash but at the moment anet definition of difficult is either too much hp or insane mechanics.

With Simin i know that my team should get stuck the 1st time it got there. The whole group was new to the fight and we weren’t setup to face the challenge (and yes we thought fighting outside was a good idea to keep the ranger’s pet away from sparks. The kitten drake was a spar magnet…)
But yesterday was just unbearable. We weren’t all glass-cannons but using 4-1 we could burn 85-90% hp (isn’t that good enough dps?).

Dps check should never be used as an excuse for difficulty. Skill is what you show when you solo those dungeons, this fight is all about gear and luck for things not to bug.

Your DPS is more than enough. With good spark-running you should be able to do it easily (bring mobility).

Flameseeker.1563

That’s what the teammate’s guildie was saying (he had completed p4 several times before).

We had 10s spark runs at most because some wandered off (not completely fixed yet) or passed through the trap without triggering, but at that hp simin was normally <50%.
We also had to use 4-1 because the “normal way” wasn’t making simin enter phase 2. No matter how many times we tried if simin hit 50% it sealthed, even if it took 5s to do it.
Then we had that annoying bug that ~10s after breaking steath (in the spark run after 4-1 trick) simin would stealth again.

I know it was just bad luck all together but the fight itself is badly designed.
To keep the stealth mechanic i think some fixes wouldn’t be to ask that much:
→fix 4-1 trick (it’s an exploit and we shouldn’t need it)
→fix entering phase 2 (4-1 is not only used because it’s faster but because it’s the only reliable way to enter phase 2)

one of the following:
→lower hp regen and keep sparks as they are (even if they bug a slight decrease on hp regen should counter the need of full dps specced group)
or
→lower number of sparks (without messing with hp regen):
1)need only 4 out of the 5 (to me seems like the last spark tend to skip traps)
or
2)spawn 3 in random area inside cave within Xrange of statue (3 seems a fair number because if 3 runners are needed they still shouldn’t mess each others spark agro).

Any of those are unreasonable suggestions that would make simin too easy?
I still want simin to be difficult enough for first timers to get stuck and having to stop and think on what they should be doing (though with so many vids on youtube they should learn from there first). But i don’t wish what happened to me to anyone else.

haviz.1340

2)spawn 3 in random area inside cave within Xrange of statue (3 seems a fair number because if 3 runners are needed they still shouldn’t mess each others spark agro).

That would actually make it harder for uncoordinated pugs without voip.

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

I recently changed the spark behavior in this latest patch – they should follow much better now. I noticed this thread was created yesterday, so I’m wondering if folks feel the sparks are still behaving badly? I watched our QA do it a few times and the behavior seemed to operate much better than it was before.

Posted by: AIMonster.8236

AIMonster.8236

The heal is too strong I think. Try QA testing it with 5 Rangers. Pretty much should be impossible then.

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

The heal is too strong I think. Try QA testing it with 5 Rangers. Pretty much should be impossible then.

Maybe ranger’s should stop using ranged weapons.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

haviz.1340

I would try doing it but I have no ranger nor do I know 4 other rangers. In fact, I know 0 rangers.