Death and Taxes Competitive PvE Tournament!

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

steps on the forum bug

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Congrats SC.

Posted by: Darox.8069

Darox.8069

Nice job SC!!

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

Thanks to everyone who made this possible, and props to SC for the win. You guys made a crappy, boring day at work bearable.

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

GZ SC, and ty anet for supporting!

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Congrats, SC! Also, great job Ren and the other runnerups!

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

grats SC, and grats to everyone else!

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Incarnadine Was Luc.5072

Incarnadine Was Luc.5072

Sick plays SC and thanks everyone who supported us!

aka Lucian
[DnT]

Posted by: sartanman.4710

sartanman.4710

Congratulations to SC and all the teams that competed today! Also a big thank you to DnT for organizing, and to the generous donors from Anet and the community for supporting the event. I thoroughly enjoyed the stream and picked up on some neat tricks to try myself. Great job to all.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Thank you to everyone who participated in the tournament, either as a competitor or a spectator. I think it worked out very well and hopefully we made a good impact so that we can have continued support from ANet with future events.

An additional thank you to all of the competitors for being patient and cooperative with those of us who were trying to set up the matches. It made a long day (night) a lot more bearable, especially towards the end where we started to make some sloppy errors.

Looking forward to hopefully more events hosted by the PvE community, and of course congratulations to Snow Crows for taking home the gold medal!

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Thanks everyone for participating. The entire thing was an awesome community experience, none of this would have been possible without all of you. Congratulations to SC for claiming the PvE throne!

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Grats SC! Awesome effort on everyone’s part. (the teams for running, and DnT announcers and ANet) I hope this puts a spotlight on the dungeons and helps spur on development of new ones and bugfixing of current ones.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

[Ren] #1 NA!! GJ SC, #1 EU and world

Posted by: Loco.5739

Loco.5739

Congrats guys!

[SC]

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Congratulations [SC] and all the participants!

Props to our new rising star [FGS]. Please PM me the account names of all of your members. Sending presents to your ways!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Congratulations to SC though I missed those beautiful wipes.

(edited by haviz.1340)

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

Thanks guys! But Props to DnT for organizing this and to all teams competing! That was intense!

Posted by: DennisChrDk.9823

DennisChrDk.9823

Thank you guys, for all the kind words! This was really an awsome day, some of these matches were intense. Thanks [DnT] for organizing all of this

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

So I’ve just got to say. This tournament kicked royal kitten. I will absolutely play again in a future tournament like this. It was high stress, high risk, high payout with great commentary, great organization (You were absolute bosses Cookie and Muffin, thanks so much, and thanks so much for putting in so much time Nike, Brazil, and the rest of DnT!), great rewards, and great turnout. 1.3k viewers at our peak! So much positive support and community togetherness made this so excellent to be a part of.

It has been a wild ride coordinating a pub team for this, we put in a ton of hours (not as many as we wanted, though), and I’m really glad we put on the best show we could even in spite of little mistakes here and there that cost us a higher placement. I’m sort of sad that we won’t win armor sets from the gem store (curse you, Trickster!!!!), but hey, there’s always next time.

We couldn’t be your cinderella story, NA, but this tournament was awesome, and we’re glad to have been a part of it and are looking forward to more! Congratulations to all the winners, huge props to the participants, and grats to [Ren], [vS], and [SC] for all placing higher than us!

Lastly, kids, remember the BHB rules: No Stacking, No Skipping, and no [FGS]!

#pvesports

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: PropiPanda.4163

PropiPanda.4163

GZ sc.

Question, why 4 guilds instant “Round of 8”?
sounds unfair

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

They had higher seeds due to previous records, and since 4 teams droped out in the RO16 they got to go through to the RO8 for free.

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

!!! BHB ALERT !!! BHB ALERT !!!

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

Posted by: PropiPanda.4163

PropiPanda.4163

They had higher seeds due to previous records.

sweet^^
lets do wm with spain in round of 8, oh wait….

what ever;) was fun to watch.
look forward to next tournament!

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Congratz Snow Crows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

Congratulations Snow Crows!

much love,

Rektaliate

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: ArmsteUllion.8409

ArmsteUllion.8409

Thanks to DnT for organizing this tournament. I had a ton of fun watching and participating. REN lucked our way into 2nd and there’s tons of room for improvement.. Congrats to SC, you guys are amazing and I loved watching your runs.

It’s fashion wars 2, baby, and I’m freaking winning it. – Lilith Ajit.6173

(edited by ArmsteUllion.8409)

Posted by: BoostMe.4017

BoostMe.4017

Shout out to DnT, you guys did a great job shout casting, organizing, and running the tournament. Had an absolute blast watching SC, kudos to you guys, fantastic job.

Hope to do it agains soon.

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

Are any vids up for watching? Missed it live

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

There will be soon! Keep watching Nike’s youtube and twitch channels.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Congratulations to all involved. I had a great time watching, and thanks DnT for running this.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

You can watch the “whole” stream here http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt/b/542606377

8hrs of win

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Congratulations SC! I watched it and it was stunning. Big thanks to DnT, Anet, and everyone who participated and sponsored this amazing event to bring the community together this weekend. Those third place winners, please message me which gem store armors you would like (or just one master list with names) if I get these soon you will receive them within the next couple days.

Congratulations everyone. I hope next tournament I can either run in representing Team RP or help organize.

cookies for everyone

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

Congratulations to SC and thank you DnT

Grimkram [sS]

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Actually I’m pretty curious what was reasoning for that “no res” rule. I don’t really think it made the tournament any better. Even without the rule, wiping and dying would be really bad as it would slow the run down considerably. In my opinion the rule made the tournament way too much about tiny errors instead of good execution of creative tactics.

But perhaps the participants can share how they feel about it. Their fun is the most important thing about the tournament.

I’m pretty sure most people that read this will probably roll their eyes since we’re both in rT, but I agree with you for the most part. However…

Let me add a little modification to what you suggest:

When a party wipes, they must restart the entire path from the start — including crashing instance and reforming it. I was told that there was some sort of similar functionality in GW1’s dungeons (I wouldn’t know because I never played it).

This way it would still be the case that if a team wipes they’re almost guaranteed to lose, but I can imagine things really getting intense if the other team wipes afterwards and they’d have to catch up.

P.S. – I WANT A SOLO TOURNAMENT

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Would be so interesting watching dozen warriors do the same things.

Purple Miku.7032

You must be crazy if you think that everybody would be using warriors for it. o.O

Based off of the way the tournament yesterday went, lots of people were picking obscure paths that they practiced during their own free time because they knew basically no one ever does them (Hotw P2/SE P2 etc). Arah is pretty much one of the only dungeons where warriors are ideal over everything else for soloing really. Some of the boss encounters in lower dungeons are significantly easier with reflects, where mesmers/guardians shine as well.

Actually the last time I checked pre-ferocity, the first boss of SE P2 wasn’t even possible to solo on a warrior without exploiting whereas it was possible, albeit very slow, on a guard/mesmer specifically because of their ability to reflect his OP longrange cc attack. He healed far too fast and was too dangerous to be able to maintain a proper GS rotation in order to deal enough damage. I’ll probably try it again sometime.

Doing AC, CM, TA are all ridiculously easier on an ele than a warrior btw.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

First of all I want to say that DnT did a very good job for a first tournament. And congratulations for SC!

Actually I’m pretty curious what was reasoning for that “no res” rule. I don’t really think it made the tournament any better. Even without the rule, wiping and dying would be really bad as it would slow the run down considerably. In my opinion the rule made the tournament way too much about tiny errors instead of good execution of creative tactics.

But perhaps the participants can share how they feel about it. Their fun is the most important thing about the tournament.

I’m pretty sure most people that read this will probably roll their eyes since we’re both in rT, but I agree with you for the most part. However…

Let me add a little modification to what you suggest:

When a party wipes, they must restart the entire path from the start — including crashing instance and reforming it. I was told that there was some sort of similar functionality in GW1’s dungeons (I wouldn’t know because I never played it).

This way it would still be the case that if a team wipes they’re almost guaranteed to lose, but I can imagine things really getting intense if the other team wipes afterwards and they’d have to catch up.

That was my initial idea but then I realized that it would make wiping unbalanced. Let’s say team A wipes thrice at the first boss (3 restarts) and team B wipes at the last boss. Team A would probably win because their wipes have much smaller penalty.

Anyways, the bottom line is that as a viewer, matches where a team wiped/got stuck were boring to watch and matches where both teams were able to play were interesting to watch.

I would even make the other team wait if dungeon gets bugged (or clearly list every bug somewhere so people can avoid them). For example SEP2 Noob vs FGS, Noob would have waited until FGS had restarted and got back to the same point.

As I stated before, matches should be based on good execution of creative tactics, not knowing every little bug / boss attack (some bosses can kill the team really fast if you don’t know everything about it as seen on Noob vs Malrona).

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I’ll just leave this here.

Attachments:

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Purple Miku.7032

Good point, but the main reason I really didn’t like the party wipe rule is for the same reason you mentioned here:

Anyways, the bottom line is that as a viewer, matches where a team wiped/got stuck were boring to watch and matches where both teams were able to play were interesting to watch.

I just wasn’t really interested in watching the match after KING wiped, nor was I interested in watching after Noob wiped at Malrona, nor was I interested in watching after our own guild wiped (sadfais). I can’t speak on behalf of everybody else but since I knew the outcome already, I just wanted the next match to start. :P

I think I’m gonna have to disagree with you about the malrona wipe though; unless they didn’t intend to make it unblockable/unreflectable and it was confirmed as a bug, it’s everyone’s responsibility to know the boss’s mechanics and if they don’t then they should be punished for it (should have to restart from scratch imo). As for an NPC bugging out though? Idk… I’m not really sure how I feel about that one. Some of them are easily preventable but some of the ways that path NPCs can bug out are really obscure and seemingly random at times, so it’s kind of weird…

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I liked the wipe rule, I think it really helped to demonstrate to people what going for a record run can be like, and I think it really helped to show that even some of the best guilds make mistakes and that they are probably mostly human. I liked that the risk was massive, and restarts or teams knowing that they could always just reset the instance wouldn’t have made it as intense to watch. I also like that bugs probably got some more attention than they otherwise would have, and I think that progress being stopped like that makes it that much more of a glaring issue that needs to be fixed. Overall, the wipe rule simply puts more pressure on guilds and it’s honestly just entertaining to see who can deal with it and who can’t, and how things can continue on or fall apart after someone dies. I think it also does a good job to showcase how valuable certain classes or certain skills can be, namely reflection.

I also wanted to say thank you to the people working behind the scenes, getting all of the teams set up and in position and ensuring that the tournament ran as smoothly as possible. You guys were amazing, thank you for your work.

I also want to thank Nike and Dek for their great jobs shoutcasting and letting me come along for that, hopefully I didn’t drive anyone too crazy with Gemstore hype or sleep deprived pepperoni pizza jokes, or even my dreadfully monotone voice. Another huge thank you to KaboomzZz for making the graphics for the tournament and for hanging out in the channel with us and talking to the stream, especially for the game code giveaways that were a fantastic touch. I had an absolutely amazing time, and am definitely looking forward to the next tournament.

PS – I really do miss Robert Hrouda and wish that he was still around to give us some new content.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Purple Miku.7032

Yeah the massive risk part was great, and I agree with you about that. That’s why I suggested the full instance reset sort of thing— it’s just the idea of watching one team not competing anymore and with no more pressure for time that seems kind of dull… although you did a very good job making up for that with the funny commentary.

Basically, I just would have preferred if there was never a point in time when there was only 1 team doing the dungeon and all suspense is completely lost.

Good point about the bugs getting more attention btw. It’d be really nice to see some more fixes to things like that… would be awesome. I won’t get my hopes up for that though. x_x

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Wethospu.6437

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. If you take look at popular sport there are always plenty of chances for a comeback. Even if one of the team makes a massive mistake they still have a chance to win. That’s what keep it interesting.

I know you guys probably see current system so pro and hardcore with massive risks but actually it’s very luck based. One single slip can end the whole run even if your execution and tactic were much better. In the long run, I doubt this will be very fun for the players and the watchers.

Imagine how much cooler that ArahP3 rT vs FGS (or any other match where one team wiped) would have been if rT could have just respawned. They would have been behind. People knew they would probably be faster because it’s their path. But would it be enough to catch up FGS?

I think I’m gonna have to disagree with you about the malrona wipe though; unless they didn’t intend to make it unblockable/unreflectable and it was confirmed as a bug, it’s everyone’s responsibility to know the boss’s mechanics and if they don’t then they should be punished for it (should have to restart from scratch imo). As for an NPC bugging out though? Idk… I’m not really sure how I feel about that one. Some of them are easily preventable but some of the ways that path NPCs can bug out are really obscure and seemingly random at times, so it’s kind of weird…

Getting wiped is an punishment. You easily lose 30+ seconds because of respawning, running back, missing cooldowns and having to kill the boss again. Having to restart at middle of dungeon would literally make your winning chances zero. Unless of course the opponent wipes which means your winning chances suddenly jump close to 100%. This again puts a lot emphasis on opponent messing up instead of your team playing better.

Also I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect every team to know every single mechanics of every boss so well that the entire run would depend on it. I doubt you know either.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The real reason I participated and felt I could participate as a pug group was because of the wipe rule. It is an equalizer, because everyone makes mistakes, and part of the excitement was seeing if you could recover from it. The risk also makes it really edge-of-your-seat, which is one of the most important things about esports… Those moments of intensity.

Even mistakes including, I think the rule does something else to team compositions. Every single comp on every single team had a Guardian, and there was a lot more team bulk than is necessary for a lot of speed clears. I think it was a good balancer, and it made it really exciting to see people recover.

I’m not sure if I’d want to see it done the same way again, but I did really like this way. I think maybe a full restart would run into the same excitement problems. You wipe on the last boss and then what, you watch two teams desynced by ten-twenty minutes? That’s not very exciting either. I think that some matches ending in a clean sweep is just the way sports in general (#pvesports) work. Sometimes people mess up and that’s that. I’ll keep thinking of ways to improve it, though, but at a minimum I want a break before the next one. My nerves need a break. ;-;

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Sanderinoa.8065

Honestly I have to say that Im quite a fan of the no death rule this time, it means teams need to think in more strategical terms and consider more defensive approaches. This allows for more innovativity and makes the tournament’s runs more varied.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: realloc.5846

realloc.5846

The real reason I participated and felt I could participate as a pug group was because of the wipe rule. It is an equalizer, because everyone makes mistakes, and part of the excitement was seeing if you could recover from it. The risk also makes it really edge-of-your-seat, which is one of the most important things about esports… Those moments of intensity.

I’m totally agree. In my opinion, wipe rule + fixed teams is what saved this competition from the 4 ele pure speedrunning teams so popular at gwscr.com

And yeah, i think that adapting and recovering when something goes off the rail requires much more skill than just running everything smooth. So there is no need to push the balance toward the last.

Still wondering what would happen if rTs mesmer noticed the blinking stealth icon on the warrior and supported him with veil / mass invi )

(edited by realloc.5846)

Wethospu.6437

Even mistakes including, I think the rule does something else to team compositions. Every single comp on every single team had a Guardian, and there was a lot more team bulk than is necessary for a lot of speed clears. I think it was a good balancer, and it made it really exciting to see people recover.

I’m not sure if I’d want to see it done the same way again, but I did really like this way. I think maybe a full restart would run into the same excitement problems. You wipe on the last boss and then what, you watch two teams desynced by ten-twenty minutes? That’s not very exciting either. I think that some matches ending in a clean sweep is just the way sports in general (#pvesports) work. Sometimes people mess up and that’s that. I’ll keep thinking of ways to improve it, though, but at a minimum I want a break before the next one. My nerves need a break. ;-;

Yes, it’s beneficial for weaker teams as it gives them a chance for auto-win (if opponent messes up too bad). But as I said before, I think winning should be based on skill, execution and tactics, not if you make a single slip at wrong moment.

Wiping already has a very big risk even without “no res” rule. If you wipe, you lose a lot of time and probably lose the match. But if you play really good you still have a chance to recover from it.

I didn’t watch every match but I personally didn’t see any of this “recovering”. Perhaps 1-2 guys went down but there was really no risk (easy to just pick them up). And when wipes happened, it took few seconds without any chance of recovering.

Honestly I have to say that Im quite a fan of the no death rule this time, it means teams need to think in more strategical terms and consider more defensive approaches. This allows for more innovativity and makes the tournament’s runs more varied.

At least for me team compositions seemed pretty same for everyone.

Anyways, things don’t have to extreme. If dying isn’t enough punishing alone we can allow only WPing (so dead people have to run back) or even force whole team back to WP.

I’m totally agree. In my opinion, wipe rule + fixed teams is what saved this competition from the 4 ele pure speedrunning teams so popular at gwscr.com

And yeah, i think that adapting and recovering when something goes off the rail requires much more skill than just running everything smooth. So there is no need to push the balance toward the last.

Still wondering what would happen if rTs mesmer noticed the blinking stealth icon on the warrior and supported him with veil / mass invi )

Expect no one can know whether pure speedrunning would have worked. A team with more safer approach might have still been better because they would get through without wiping.

Actually “no res” rule removed a lot of skill from certain matches. For example team afking at entrance would have beat rT. Would you call that team skillful?

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Sanderinoa.8065

I do agree that there wasn’t a lot of ‘recovering’, but I did see many oppurtunities in which it was surely possible, just like with our arah run, we couldve duoed it out if things went a bit better in the end.
Id rather keep the oppurtunity there for someone to pick it up, rather than to remove it.

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Personally if I were to have made the rules, I would have made it that after a FULL wipe a team may respawn at the first waypoint of the dungeon. I also would have given each team the option of banning 1-2 paths per match. Other than that, I think the rules were pretty good

An additional time penalty for having to utilise a full res could also be a thing, to keep the punishment high enough that teams err on the side of caution with team comps.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)

Wethospu.6437

I do agree that there wasn’t a lot of ‘recovering’, but I did see many oppurtunities in which it was surely possible, just like with our arah run, we couldve duoed it out if things went a bit better in the end.
Id rather keep the oppurtunity there for someone to pick it up, rather than to remove it.

Do you really think 2 guys could beat a full team when you were already a lot behind? (assuming the team doesn’t mess up really bad)