Fix the Twilight Arbor Forward/Up Path

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Some guild members and I cheesed it recently by ranging the tree from the room entrance; composition was Ranger, Elementalist, Guardian, and a lowbie Engineer. 4 man unoptimized group for this encounter.

They initially wiped 3 manning the dungeon on the final boss, so I joined in to help on my Ranger alt.

We pulled as many of the spiders as we could to clear the room then proceeded as follows:

I stood mostly at max range with longbow and pet on passive, pew pewing the tree and trying to dodge whenever the tree did its green cloud seizure thing. The Ele switched between assisting me and helping the Engineer dps down what adds did respawn during the fight, the Guardian gathered up any incoming spiders and kited them back to where the rest of us were to help burn them down as well. I used healing spring liberally to help keep the poison spam to a minimum, and the Ele assisted with water finishers to top off healing.

It took a while, and was a wildly un-optimal method, but it worked.

Coming away from that, two key issues I have with the fight:

1) Spiders not despawning on wipe. That just causes anti-learning through demoralization.

2) It is not intuitive to dodge a tree having a seizure halfway across the room. If there were particle effects indicating otherwise, they were not clear enough to communicate the need to do so until too late.

Other than that, the fight was more than manageable.

(edited by Overkillengine.6084)

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

congrats on teaching more pugs how to avoid the issue rather than to play right

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I stood mostly at max range with longbow and pet

this really doesn’t help the stigma towards rangers

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood.3214

Doctor Feelgood.3214

>Majority of content can be easily zerged down with no thought
Playerbase: ANET, this game is too easy give us real content!
>Arenanet comes up with a fight that can’t be easily zerged down with no real though and takes coordination
Playerbase: ANET, this is terrible design, nerf pls!

why do I even read the forums, honestly.

Broadicea.8294

it’s almost as if there are multiple demographics of players in the game who have different desires for content

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Could it be that?

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

I stood mostly at max range with longbow and pet

this really doesn’t help the stigma towards rangers

Can the pet dodge? Nope. I noticed when helping clear the leftover spider spawns that it was a magnet for more than we intended to pull to begin with, and having it up in the tree’s grill tended to make even more spawn.

So yes, the pet was technically detrimental based on what was observed and I was joining to help complete the dungeon, not combat social injustice.

And I usually use my pet and run axe/torch, but it was not working out in this situation so I adapted and we overcame.

(edited by Overkillengine.6084)

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Name professions that aren’t “viable” in TA F/U and we’ll make a group to go do it. But when we clear it in your non-viable professions you have to prostrate yourself before the entire sub-forum and admit you’re completely clueless.

3 rangers, 2 necros. Let me know when you have the video up.

It should be pretty easy for you guys, and if you wouldn’t mind putting up a guide to show how you did it for people who might play these professions, that would be a very nice addition.

Good Luck!

So let me see here…… Reflection and AoE Blinds? That will be so hard.

OK, so when should I expect the video?

Before the week ends.

Not sure how weeks work where you are from… but we are still waiting…

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif.gif

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

You’d be surprised how difficult it is to get people together to do an annoying dungeon run just to prove a point to a know-nothing on a web forum.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I’m not sure where you would even find people with those professions. Should make a recruitment post in the SAB sub-forum

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Thats mean cookie :<

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Thats mean cookie :<

Ok, ok. But we still need to find 3 others

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Name professions that aren’t “viable” in TA F/U and we’ll make a group to go do it. But when we clear it in your non-viable professions you have to prostrate yourself before the entire sub-forum and admit you’re completely clueless.

It should be pretty easy for you guys, and if you wouldn’t mind putting up a guide to show how you did it for people who might play these professions, that would be a very nice addition.

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif.gif

Did I seriously manage to troll you for a whole week? Dear god I’m good!

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

lunyboy.8672

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

If by “trolling” you mean several people all beating their chest about their superiority at this game, and then when met with an actual challenge, pretend like you were just kidding.

I’d say you were quite successful.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

If by “trolling” you mean several people all beating their chest about their superiority at this game, and then when met with an actual challenge, pretend like you were just kidding.

That’s what we do. We are apes.

Brazil

lunyboy.8672

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

Alas, truth.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

Alas, truth.

And you’ve been trolled over and over by apes. What does this make you?

Brazil

spoj.9672

Gullible.

lunyboy.8672

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

Alas, truth.

Sad for the game in general, when the upper-tier players would rather troll the forums than help people asking for it. I do place part of the blame on ANet for the lack of high-level end-game content, creating pockets of bored tryhards who don’t have the stomach for PvP and are tired of Infinite Guild Banner trolling.

And unimpressed in general with the trolling here, which seems to vacillate between name-calling, acting as if you have been proven correct through argumentation, and pretending like it was all a big joke.

The general lack of talent is depressing.

spoj.9672

Hey infinite guild banner trolling never gets boring.

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

got it getting trolled ty, now I am in the same guild as lunyboy.8672 and I was on the run of TA F/U when we beat it about 2 weeks ago? We didnt really have that difficult of a time with it, but the problem comes in that we had a ranger with us, who is a friend we have played other games with who just had to sit the last fight out since his pet doesnt dodge roll when he does, the pet becomes a major problem makeing the rangers in this dungeon often a hinderance ranther than a help for this last boss, and this is where the problem is.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Good Luck!

Before the week ends.

Alas, truth.

Sad for the game in general, when the upper-tier players would rather troll the forums than help people asking for it. I do place part of the blame on ANet for the lack of high-level end-game content, creating pockets of bored tryhards who don’t have the stomach for PvP and are tired of Infinite Guild Banner trolling.

And unimpressed in general with the trolling here, which seems to vacillate between name-calling, acting as if you have been proven correct through argumentation, and pretending like it was all a big joke.

I could send you an invite to BHB if you like. You would make a good fit. A lot of the upper tier players produce video guides and builds and have Youtube channels and streams where they teach people, including myself. The dungeon forums are a disconnected mess full of imbeciles that post about how hard TAFU is with Cleric’s gear Signet Staff Guardian. There are also a lot of BHBs around, too.

Brazil

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Who said we don’t pvp?

Death and Taxes [DnT]

lunyboy.8672

got it getting trolled ty, now I am in the same guild as lunyboy.8672 and I was on the run of TA F/U when we beat it about 2 weeks ago? We didnt really have that difficult of a time with it, but the problem comes in that we had a ranger with us, who is a friend we have played other games with who just had to sit the last fight out since his pet doesnt dodge roll when he does, the pet becomes a major problem makeing the rangers in this dungeon often a hinderance ranther than a help for this last boss, and this is where the problem is.

Yup. I challenged these scrubs to do with with 3 rangers and 2 necros, and some of them puffed up their feathers and said they would have it done by the end of last week. Yet, no video, so I decided to remind them how underwhelming their “troll” actually is, and see if I could bait them into continuing the argument.

And our experience highlights the primary issue with the dungeon / path; when it was designed, the professions were not taken into consideration, and the only way to describe content like this is broken. Period. It’s annoying for people who know how to run it, frustrating for first timers who have beaten Arah (path 4 before the nerf, thx), and impossible for people who have just hit 55.

Because it IS a level 55 dungeon. So if you really want a challenge, 3R, 2N – level 55 → GOGOGOGOGO!

spoj.9672

Its been done naked. Think the main issue is most people cannot be bothered to do it just to prove point. That and not many people have geared rangers and necros.

lunyboy.8672

Its been done naked. Think the main issue is most people cannot be bothered to do it just to prove point. That and not many people have geared rangers and necros.

I can respect that, just because some random on the internet told you it couldn’t be done, doesn’t mean you should try it. But doing it naked isn’t the same as doing it without the skills I mentioned. And for the record, Rangers are #2:

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/1c2c9GW2_Anniv_Infographic.jpg

Broadicea.8294

<— full zerk ranger and full zerk necro, available to do it anytime

spoj.9672

full zerk necro but im on eu

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Yup. I challenged these scrubs to do with with 3 rangers and 2 necros, and some of them puffed up their feathers and said they would have it done by the end of last week. Yet, no video, so I decided to remind them how underwhelming their “troll” actually is, and see if I could bait them into continuing the argument.

And our experience highlights the primary issue with the dungeon / path; when it was designed, the professions were not taken into consideration, and the only way to describe content like this is broken. Period. It’s annoying for people who know how to run it, frustrating for first timers who have beaten Arah (path 4 before the nerf, thx), and impossible for people who have just hit 55.

Because it IS a level 55 dungeon. So if you really want a challenge, 3R, 2N – level 55 -> GOGOGOGOGO!

If by “some” you mean “one” and if by “asking for legitimate help” as you stated earlier in the thread you mean “posed a challenge”. If they had refused, you’d have been whining about it, too. When you go around calling people “scrubs” you really aren’t making a great argument for how awful these people are.

All I read out of this is “Waaah I don’t like the way they have opinions different from mine!”

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

If I had a fully geared ranger or necro, I’d love to prove this point.

I can however probably request access to those professions, so if you need someone on NA, and I have said access, I’ll gladly join.

I have no idea how to run Ranger or Necro though… Although I guess that puts me on equal footing to PUGs…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

lunyboy.8672

If by “some” you mean “one” and if by “asking for legitimate help” as you stated earlier in the thread you mean “posed a challenge”. If they had refused, you’d have been whining about it, too. When you go around calling people “scrubs” you really aren’t making a great argument for how awful these people are.

All I read out of this is “Waaah I don’t like the way they have opinions different from mine!”

There were people asking for help. Most in the thread were making fun of them (and the player base in general) and pretending that playing guardian or warrior = skill.

I called them “scrubs” to bait them into arguing a bit more… and you bit the hook nicely, thanks. I even stated in that post my intention.

I made my argument clearly several times, I really don’t care if you noticed or not, or even what I was arguing about.

It isn’t opinion, there are at least 2 posts a week about this dungeon path, mostly by people with low post counts and reasonable amounts of Achievement Points, suggesting they have played the game without needing much from the forum up to this point.

People post here, and are immediately set upon as being “unskilled” or playing the “wrong” profession, or having the “wrong” group composition, when one of the primary selling points of the game is the ability to use whatever composition they like.

Once you read what the mechanics of the dungeon are, and the tactics used to beat the boss, it becomes obvious that some professions are going to be less useful than others, and to some extent, a significant liability.

The people being unhelpful are obviously not scrubs, as this path isn’t easy, despite their protestations to the contrary. But making a public spectacle of yourself and your ego over something as silly as a dungeon path is hilarious to make fun of, so I take every opportunity.

Posted by: Abardagul.5849

Abardagul.5849

The Super pro Team: “Name professions that aren’t “viable” in TA F/U and we’ll make a group to go do it. But when we clear it in your non-viable professions you have to prostrate yourself before the entire sub-forum and admit you’re completely clueless.”

Random forum guy: ok. do it on 3r/2n then.

The Super pro Team: 3 rangers/2necros lol. Way to make it easy. Should have said 5 necros if you wanted to make it a challenge. anyways, you’ll have a vid before the week ends.

The week has ended, still no video

Random forum guy: so, where’s the video?

The Super pro Team: “Did I seriously manage to troll you for a whole week? Dear god I’m good!”

Random forum guy: trolling. that’s your excuse? what are you, 6? my little brother can conjure up bullkitten 10x better than that! and he’s in a coma!
“Look kids, I’m the toughest guy on the block! what? you want me to beat up that scary looking guy? he’ll be in hospital this week then! Did I seriously manage to troll you for a whole week? Dear god I’m so tough!”

pro member1 : but not many people have geared necro/rangers!
pro member2: people can’t be bothered to do it just to prove a point!
pro member3: you’re QQing because they didn’t do the challenge they asked you to give them??
pro member4: “The dungeon forums are a disconnected mess full of imbeciles”
pro member5: i’m from eu

gz on your baiting lunyboy. it did its job beautifully

Lantriss ~ Guardian
Typhoon Dador ~ Warrior

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

This is good.

Oceanic [LOD]

The Mexican Cookie.3690

oooooo I’m a pro member

Seriously though, It’s not nice to make fun of people because they don’t have necros or rangers :‘( I’m going to tell Modbot on you!

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

So many BHBs. I’m in love.

Brazil

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

seriously, what are BHB’s?

Oceanic [LOD]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

seriously, what are BHB’s?

It’s a secret guild full of BHBs.

Brazil

spoj.9672

Haha well im all too happy to take my necro on a TAFU run.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Wait wait, a village idiot still wants 3r 2n? God that joke was so last week.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

lunyboy.8672

The Super pro Team: “Name professions that aren’t “viable” in TA F/U and we’ll make a group to go do it. But when we clear it in your non-viable professions you have to prostrate yourself before the entire sub-forum and admit you’re completely clueless.”

Random forum guy: ok. do it on 3r/2n then.

The Super pro Team: 3 rangers/2necros lol. Way to make it easy. Should have said 5 necros if you wanted to make it a challenge. anyways, you’ll have a vid before the week ends.

The week has ended, still no video

Random forum guy: so, where’s the video?

The Super pro Team: “Did I seriously manage to troll you for a whole week? Dear god I’m good!”

Random forum guy: trolling. that’s your excuse? what are you, 6? my little brother can conjure up bullkitten 10x better than that! and he’s in a coma!
“Look kids, I’m the toughest guy on the block! what? you want me to beat up that scary looking guy? he’ll be in hospital this week then! Did I seriously manage to troll you for a whole week? Dear god I’m so tough!”

pro member1 : but not many people have geared necro/rangers!
pro member2: people can’t be bothered to do it just to prove a point!
pro member3: you’re QQing because they didn’t do the challenge they asked you to give them??
pro member4: “The dungeon forums are a disconnected mess full of imbeciles”
pro member5: i’m from eu

gz on your baiting lunyboy. it did its job beautifully

Honestly, I expected these Black-Hearted Bunnies to come through and deliver an epic vid of how rangers and necros could “pwn” this path, thus helping a subset of the community accidentally.

A good troll is a worthy consolation prize.

Broadicea.8294

but “the community” doesn’t want help on how to be better, they want their hands held and perhaps the lowest-effort-possible pathway to finishing difficult content. that’s why TAFU threads are full of people who refuse to use better tactics, run better builds, and assemble better team compositions.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Three rangers/two necros are a bad mix?

Broadicea.8294

Uh, yes?

lunyboy.8672

but “the community” doesn’t want help on how to be better, they want their hands held and perhaps the lowest-effort-possible pathway to finishing difficult content. that’s why TAFU threads are full of people who refuse to use better tactics, run better builds, and assemble better team compositions.

The path is broken. People don’t expect it to be easy, but even under ideal circumstances, it can go spectacularly sideways if people miss a dodge (or if their pets get hit). So they come here and ask for a “nerf” when what they mean is a “fix.”

What I don’t get is how near-sighted some on this board are to not acknowledge the mechanics of the fight are, in regard to a few professions, incompatible; implicit disdain for the dirty casuals “community” notwithstanding.

(edited by lunyboy.8672)

Abardagul.5849

Uh, yes?

but…. but… i though you implied earlier that every party composition is effective on ta forward/up and blamed us for being nubs and dont want to l2p?

Quote again: “Name professions that aren’t “viable” in TA F/U and we’ll make a group to go do it. But when we clear it in your non-viable professions you have to prostrate yourself before the entire sub-forum and admit you’re completely clueless.”

now that you failed to prove that statement of yours, you’re blaming us again for “not assembling a better party composition”? lol you’re even worse than microsoft. +1 to you master troll! you win this time!

Lantriss ~ Guardian
Typhoon Dador ~ Warrior

Broadicea.8294

I’m perfectly willing to waste my time demonstrating the L2P issues people have with TAFU, but one player doesn’t equal 4 other willing people.

And actually I didn’t imply that every party comp is as effective as any other. That would be ludicrous, as party comp is one of the pillars of organized dungeon play. But luny was insistent that engineers, rangers, and necros can have no place in a successful TAFU run, which is just false.

Tactics, Build, Party. Use all 3, and you burn the tree down in a flash and it looks like the easiest thing in the world. Plenty of videos are out there of groups dropping one of those pillars. Naked runs, 4-man runs, bad group comp runs, no reflect runs, etc etc etc.

But pugs won’t be satisfied until you demonstrate a completely fool-proof, path-of-least-resistance way to complete it, utilizing no tactics, no specific builds, and no specific party comp, because they’re too stupid, lazy, or bad at the game to even attempt to adopt those planks of successful dungeon play.

Abardagul.5849

I’m perfectly willing to waste my time demonstrating the L2P issues people have with TAFU, but one player doesn’t equal 4 other willing people.

And actually I didn’t imply that every party comp is as effective as any other. That would be ludicrous, as party comp is one of the pillars of organized dungeon play. But luny was insistent that engineers, rangers, and necros can have no place in a successful TAFU run, which is just false.

Tactics, Build, Party. Use all 3, and you burn the tree down in a flash and it looks like the easiest thing in the world. Plenty of videos are out there of groups dropping one of those pillars. Naked runs, 4-man runs, bad group comp runs, no reflect runs, etc etc etc.

But pugs won’t be satisfied until you demonstrate a completely fool-proof, path-of-least-resistance way to complete it, utilizing no tactics, no specific builds, and no specific party comp, because they’re too stupid, lazy, or bad at the game to even attempt to adopt those planks of successful dungeon play.

i already said you win, troll. congrats!

Lantriss ~ Guardian
Typhoon Dador ~ Warrior

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

The path is broken. People don’t expect it to be easy, but even under ideal circumstances, it can go spectacularly sideways if people miss a dodge (or if their pets get hit). So they come here and ask for a “nerf” when what they mean is a “fix.”

What I don’t get is how near-sighted some on this board are to not acknowledge the mechanics of the fight are, in regard to a few professions, incompatible; implicit disdain for the dirty casuals “community” notwithstanding.

No one thinks it isn’t a bad encounter. It is bad. It’s especially dumb if you wipe. But there are ways to beat it in a trivial manner if you try or your party members use their brains.

So essentially, all your carrying on is an attempt to get someone to admit that it should be nerfed until it can be done with no effort and no brain like the other two paths.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

lunyboy.8672

Name-calling, misquoting, and strawman arguments are pretty hilarious at this point, guys.

Anyone taking the time to read the whole thread will see that my points stand on their own, with or without the delicate box of troll they reside in, lovingly crafted for spectators benefit.

The Mexican Cookie.3690

lovingly crafted for spectators benefit.

more like lovelyboy, ohohoho