General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 2

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Yeah I don’t pug CM unless I have at least 2 friends who I know will blast my smoke lol. I think all the better players got bored of dungeons and stopped doing them, most of the pugs I’ve seen last week were utterly terrible.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

I gave up pugging as a thief in CM. Try to stealth the group with blasts and noone helps despite their being two eles and it being a “zerk meta” group. If im forced to play like a pug thief and wait for SR cooldown i would rather slit my wrists.

The last time i tried pugging on a thief i thought kitten these guys im blasting. They didnt help so stealth ran out faster. They didnt stack swiftness so they got left behind when i restacked mid skip. I just decided “kitten it” and went ahead. 3 out of 4 of them died because they couldnt keep up. The other guy somehow powered through on a warrior despite never using warhorn or mobility skills…. And then they had the nerve to complain despite not once blasting stealth or giving the group swiftness….

After that ordeal and other similar abominable runs i decided never to pug CM again.

Taking it 1 step further I wanted to try double field blasting by offsetting where stealth and swiftness are blasted at the same time in organized groups. Usually its met with hesitation or its not blasted correctly where one has more than the other.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I gave up pugging as a thief in CM. Try to stealth the group with blasts and noone helps despite their being two eles and it being a “zerk meta” group. If im forced to play like a pug thief and wait for SR cooldown i would rather slit my wrists.

The last time i tried pugging on a thief i thought kitten these guys im blasting. They didnt help so stealth ran out faster. They didnt stack swiftness so they got left behind when i restacked mid skip. I just decided “kitten it” and went ahead. 3 out of 4 of them died because they couldnt keep up. The other guy somehow powered through on a warrior despite never using warhorn or mobility skills…. And then they had the nerve to complain despite not once blasting stealth or giving the group swiftness….

After that ordeal and other similar abominable runs i decided never to pug CM again.

Taking it 1 step further I wanted to try double field blasting by offsetting where stealth and swiftness are blasted at the same time in organized groups. Usually its met with hesitation or its not blasted correctly where one has more than the other.

No need to blast for swiftness, I’ll just drop my symbol of swiftness on the smoke field!

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Yeah J Eberle, it’s not as much as being bad as it is the attitude to me. People mouthing off to you for no reason other than for the sake of complaining are the worst.

Another example of a terrible kind of pug is this warrior that I had in an Arah p1 pug the other night who whined like an infant when I said I refused to let our guard 1shot Lupi. He was going off about how he cares about nothing other than the speed that the dungeon is completed and how he doesn’t care to waste time, despite the fact that he was waiting at the waypoint and typing instead of joining us. I told him that technically it’s not faster to 1shot him, but he was still whining.

In the end I kicked him when he eventually accused me of milking donations from people to compensate the apparent lack of speed in my runs due to never 1shotting him? Dumbest insult tbh and apparently he knew who I was based off of that comment.

There’s my pug story.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

I need 7 more CM runs for the collection. Guess what I’m doing after that.

However, a point I’d like to make…

There are standard ways for doing dungeons, but they vary between groups.

In PUGs, the standard for CM is for the thief to alternate SR with Smoke Screen + 6 shortbow blasts. This works, absolutely fine, without extra blasts or swiftness, if you pause in the standard PUG places. You could do this in 10 PUGs in a row quite successfully. And at PUG speed, it only very occasionally involves waiting for cooldowns.

In organised groups, you check that you will have enough quick blasts to use black powder, and that somebody will apply swiftness, and go a lot faster. This works too, in the organised group.

When the two collide, it usually goes wrong as you describe. If I see a thief using Black Powder in a PUG formed using LFG, I think “Well, this is gonna be a rough ride. Hope the thief doesn’t quit at the end of P1 and leave me looking for a P2P3.”

For speedclear people to play thief in CM PUGs, without confusion and unhappiness, they need to learn PUG methods every bit as much as the PUG people would have to learn speedclear.

So I can see why you’re fed up, but I think your expectations were unrealistic. You can’t do CM in a PUG like you can in an organised group. Maybe you should be able to, if you put “speedclear” in the LFG, but you can’t.

You have to either learn to do it the PUG way, or try to do organised tactics in PUGs and annoy everybody including yourself, or stop doing CM in PUGs. You have chosen option 3. That’s a sensible, practical solution — well done.

(edited by Morte.5916)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Nah, you just have to learn how to low man the final boss. I always teef when I duo pug with my friend regardless of which class he brings. Even when he’s a necro, we always have a fair amount of stealth with the usual speed farming route. Usually when we put an LFG like “speedy stealth skip”, half of the pug can follow my lead swiftly, and the other half either brute force through the last room or just die there and wait for the final reward.

Would I solo pug as a thief? Sure, if I feel like to. Would I change my stealth rotation to normal pug way? Nah, the most I do is to change my trait to make sure I have enough stealth to survive myself. If they don’t cooperate and fail, I will come back and stealth them to make the skip over and over. Until they realize it’s better to play it my ways or just give up entirely.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

When a thief uses black powder on cm I feel so happy as an ele. Its like. “I’m a big boy now I get to blast something other than fire” then I frown because no one ever gives swiftness, or has harpy feathers.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Morte.5916

When a thief uses black powder on cm I feel so happy as an ele. Its like. “I’m a big boy now I get to blast something other than fire” then I frown because no one ever gives swiftness, or has harpy feathers.

I know exactly what you mean, get the same thing on my ele.

Of course half the people are thinking “Stealth for skips is the thief’s job. If they can’t do it, why did we bring them instead of another ele?”

DonQuack.9025

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Remember that fake maintenance the other day? Scared the kitten out of me

Attachments:

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

played league with some iV guys today, stomped some nerds, got stomped a bit ourselves, was fun

surely more of you here must play it too (EUW)

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I’m really into Dragon Age lately, God, it’s so addicting.

:D

origins and inquisition are the best ones

Mee. You can add: Rias On Rampage ; if you wanna play a few games!

added

I’ve been doing some TERA dungeons lately. God there are so many of them still left to do and they keep adding new ones. When will I catch up? First world problems: too much content.

i remember trying to play tera like … a year ago. and i couldn’t get in to it at all. got to like level 12 or something then just thought meh. combat felt awkward.

tera is really boring outside of dungeons. And it is not fast to get up to dungeons/max skill strength.

DonQuack.9025

ok ok ok dungeons are one thing but

how the heck do you make it past 10k ap and not know what a combo field is.
What a blast finisher is.

Why am I in a 4 ele party and have ZERO might stacks why? I cant even stack them myself because everything is covered by static field and healing rain.

I mean just by accident you should get 3.

im literally bleeding from the eyes

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

/rant

It’s 5 AM and I woke up like one hour ago with a terrible toothache. At this point I’m ready to make a sacrifice to some god in order for it to stop.

/endrant

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

DonQuack.9025

Gargle some rum. Also Nyarlathotep is accepting applications

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I’m tallying AH guards in zerk only parties atm. They’re going pretty strong.

edit: found some more really good guardians.

Attachments:

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

/rant

It’s 5 AM and I woke up like one hour ago with a terrible toothache. At this point I’m ready to make a sacrifice to some god in order for it to stop.

/endrant

Chew on a clove. Or if that is too painful just keep it in your mouth roughly around the area of the damaged tooth like a long lasting candy.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I discovered new dungeons this weekend … in GW1 . First time I set foot into one of them (with my trusted team of heroes and henchmen) was kind of by mistake, but seeing as it was actually enjoyable (if somewhat longish … I had to afk in there frequently), I visited a few of them. It did however remind me of one of the strong points of GW2, namely the fact that most activities don’t take a lot of time and make it much easier for me to break off playing when real life intrudes.

Posted by: GrimmR.3541

GrimmR.3541

played league with some iV guys today, stomped some nerds, got stomped a bit ourselves, was fun

surely more of you here must play it too (EUW)

Was good fun, hope we can repeat that!

toxic since 2012

Morte.5916

Hey guys,

After a few months of daily dungeons, I think I’ve had most of the fun I’m going to have and I’m calling it quits. I wanted to say thanks for the help, especially the build/rotation guides from DnT (Nike, Brazil, DEKeyz, Obal) and the excellent advice I’ve had on the forums from spoj and Jerus.

Good luck with the record runs, and may none of your PUG guardians use staff.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Hey guys,

After a few months of daily dungeons, I think I’ve had most of the fun I’m going to have and I’m calling it quits. I wanted to say thanks for the help, especially the build/rotation guides from DnT (Nike, Brazil, DEKeyz, Obal) and the excellent advice I’ve had on the forums from spoj and Jerus.

Good luck with the record runs, and may none of your PUG guardians use staff.

GL to you too, nice thing about the game, no giant hill to climb if you ever feel the urge to poke your head in again

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Meanwhile in the General forum…

…there are people complaining about how the zones appear squarish in the world map and how it ruins their immersion.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

It totally ruined this game for me, I already canceled my subscription.

Posted by: Gruocs.3412

Gruocs.3412

Jumping, the true endgame!

Attachments:

Hexagonis [HeX]

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

winterchillz.2564

Oh, my kittening God, LMAO, that reaction hahahaha!!!!

Totally lost it at “User disconnected from your channel”

Cloud of Sparrows

Posted by: Cheezy.2039

Cheezy.2039

Cheezy – Vis Invicta [vC]

The meta is changing at an alarming rate.

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

so close. ;_;

Attachments:

winterchillz.2564

Minigruuuuuuump! o/

It’s been a while, man, how are ya doing! Lupi being mean I see

Cloud of Sparrows

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

i had it worse earlier, 4 man party wiping at <1% ;-;

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

After having spent entirely to much time…. I have determined that if there is a way for a Necromancer to Solo the AC p3 burrow room…. I just dont know what it is.

so PSA, (we all knew this already but still)

Necromancers DpS is terrible.

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

winterz i have mainly been studying and lurking the forums. Oh and learning how to drive a car. and finally got the solo done for lupi. just waiting for my bad internet to upload it

winterchillz.2564

After having spent entirely to much time…. I have determined that if there is a way for a Necromancer to Solo the AC p3 burrow room…. I just dont know what it is.

so PSA, (we all knew this already but still)

Necromancers DpS is terrible.

Spoj, I summon you!

winterz i have mainly been studying and lurking the forums. Oh and learning how to drive a car. and finally got the solo done for lupi. just waiting for my bad internet to upload it

Sounds good, bro! And gratz on the Lupi solo, especially after the patch. I’m still struggling to do it on my thief with the new projectile bug. Make sure to poke us more often, though!

Cloud of Sparrows

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Nope its not possible. I tried a few weeks back. Tried using minions. Well cooldown reduction and rotating them. Even tried mixing wells with minions. But you just dont have enough damage. Even tried siphoning and other random things. I also tried using staff marks to save wells on the first burrow. It kind of half worked (not actually sure if they damaged the burrow though). I still needed atleast one well to even get a chance to kill it before the elite scavenger spawned. And then you get stuck in combat from other mobs so you cant use the staff mark trick for any subsequent burrows.

You need to use both wells to destroy the burrow before a silver mob spawns. And then you are completely screwed for the next one. I managed to get about half way done. But the mobs gradually built up and i had no way to deal with them and keep the burrows in check on time.

It would be easy if our aoe skills worked like eles and hit multiple times instead of just pulsing.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

Do any of you guys use OBS to record videos? If so, what settings do you use? Just did a quick clip for a discussion in another thread and realized the quality looks like kitten. Resolution down-scaling is set to none (1920×1080) and upped the quality balance to 10 in Encoding and didn’t really do much.

Zelendel

(edited by Tentonhammr.7849)

Taku.6352

This is a rather good guide for setting up your OBS for streaming.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Do any of you guys use OBS to record videos? If so, what settings do you use? Just did a quick clip for a discussion in another thread and realized the quality looks like kitten. Resolution down-scaling is set to none (1920×1080) and upped the quality balance to 10 in Encoding and didn’t really do much.

I use it for both recording and streaming.

My recording settings are:

Encoding
NVENC
Quality Balance 10
Bitrate: 20,000
CBR disabled

Video
Base resolution: 2560×1600 (downscale factor 1.5 w/ bi-linear filter, 60 FPS)

Advanced
NVENC preset: bluray disk
Encoding profile: high
Use CFR=True

You do really need to tweak the default settings a good bit to get good quality recorded video from OBS. But it’s doable. Consult the OBS documentation.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

Thanks guys.

Zelendel

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Was chillin outside Arah with Eric Rane, but he was ignoring all my offers to duo with him
=(

Attachments:

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

Well, I eventually did get around to duo today, and when we started to sell, instant merge/kicked. I’m not even mad, I just didn’t know people still bothered to do that.

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Guys, what/why (?) can I use malicius chests for?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

Taku.6352

WvW dire condi engi for roaming. Also “what” is the proper word in this context.

Posted by: Raven.3248

Raven.3248

Did a 3 man arah p3. we had a war and guard. Everything went great till lupi…
I was insisting not pushing him to the wall, the guard ofc was not happy about this. the war was ranging and lupi was just all over the show. I was lolling the war in chat. to make a long story short, the guard was nagging about1 shotting constantly and in my frustration I left. it was my fault since I did not mention it in the lfg but why do a pug 3 man if u want it to be easy. i am so sick of this 1shotting kitten. I also really like the new lupi, good job anet, plz don’t fix.

Just another Arah veteran

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Been playing ESO for the last couple of weeks. Might not be what bored folks here are looking for, but it’s come a long way since launch and is now B2P.

Might be worth checking out for some of you. I’ve been having a pretty good time with it

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Meanwhile in the General forum…

…there are people complaining about how the zones appear squarish in the world map and how it ruins their immersion.

Not gonna lie it’s always irritated me slightly how squarish everything looks when opening the world map, but much less so than the fact that it’s been forever since new maps were opened kitten >.> thankfully that’s been changing this year though. Hope the expansion comes soon.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Not sure if you guys saw, but tucked into the frog post was a sentence or two about fractal masteries saying they’ll bring better rewards and make you more powerful.

Over under on the new rewards being access to the fractal weapon box if you level up fractal masteries?

spoj.9672

Not sure how i feel about it. The base rewards need to be improved before we even worry about fractal mastery rewards. :P

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

http://dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/21199431-my-dream-balance-changes-for-pve/

Rambling post with suggested PvE balance changes. there is a zero percent chance of any of this happening ever but it’s interesting to think about “what if the game balance decisions were made from a pve first perspective.”

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Morte.5916

" These changes will make the deathshroud build the best DPS build for Necromancer."

You propose to make a ranged build deal higher DPS than the melee builds? Explain yourself.

spoj.9672

Most of those necro changes are pretty weak. One of my biggest asks is for blasts on warhorn 4, axe 3, dagger 5 and various other finishers like 100% projectile on staff 1, lifeblast and focus 4. Also make weakening shroud trait provide a blast for synergy with lava font.

Then for other popular ideas. Projectile block on CPC. Rework siphoned power to some kind of might on hit/crit trait (your suggestion for it isnt a bad idea). Make withering precision ICD per target instead of global. Completely redesign vampiric signet so it actually provides passive sustain (lifesteal on hit). Change well of darkness to an ice/ethereal/smoke field. Blasting a dark field to get blinds doesnt make sense on a skill which already pulses blinds. I would actually keep near to death as it is and give more traits which do things on DS entry/exit.

The group boon stuff is nice but i think necro is better off becoming a defensive utility class with higher damage than all classes except for thief/ele. It wouldnt have as much utility/defence as guard/mes and it wouldnt have buffing like engi/war/ranger. But it would provide a balanced role somewhere between ele and guard.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. These things and many more have been discussed in depth in the necro subforum. Its actually a class subforum that is not completely taken over by PHIW’s and idiots. Which is ironic because you have to be a PHIW to play a necro in PvE. ;>

(edited by spoj.9672)