HotW 1 Troll Leap

HotW 1 Troll Leap

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Just a thought I had while watching him leap on me after a very unexpected timing for his AoE attack.

I noticed that sometimes he’ll leap up in the air, and instead of his AoE attack happening as he comes down, it’ll hit you (and then the ground attack right after, of course) as he’s in mid air or as he’s jumping upwards.

My thought is that if there’s some terrain that he “clips” on the way up, the stairs for example, it’ll trigger the code that normally fires when he “touches the ground”. Just a theory based on watching him, but I’d need to verify with more runs, I think.

Anyone else observe his odd ground attack behavior?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

If he didnt die before he could leap, I’d help you test this.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

That doesn’t actually help the OP at all.

In my limited experience of the troll, it’s a two-piece attack. The first ~10,000 damage hits while hes about to come down, the other piece hits when he lands. You can dodge both hits but you need to time the dodge well.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: hendo.1940

hendo.1940

Just a thought I had while watching him leap on me after a very unexpected timing for his AoE attack.

I noticed that sometimes he’ll leap up in the air, and instead of his AoE attack happening as he comes down, it’ll hit you (and then the ground attack right after, of course) as he’s in mid air or as he’s jumping upwards.

My thought is that if there’s some terrain that he “clips” on the way up, the stairs for example, it’ll trigger the code that normally fires when he “touches the ground”. Just a theory based on watching him, but I’d need to verify with more runs, I think.

That honestly happens with almost all enemy attacks to me, so I’m not sure how realiant my information on this is. But yeah, that happens embarassingly often.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

Gl killing him before he could leap if his first attack is such.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

/nod I know it’s a 2 part attack (the ground aoe, then the wave attack that is targetted and follows immediately after)

I just mean it seems to vary when these attacks happen. Normally you’d see them happen just as he’kittenting the ground. This is the expected effect and a well timed dodge can avoid both of the attacks.

It’s just that sometimes he’ll leap in the air and literally be in mid air when the attacks happen. I’ll see if I can maybe get a video of it next time I do this run and catch a few bugged attacks.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Anierna.6918

Fear Me! to the ice-wall slightly behind him and to his left. You can CC him with that before he leaps, or even aggros, and still get him to that wall before the fear runs out. 4x Fiery Rush, dead. 100% success rate in preventing him leaping at all, assuming the war doesn’t screw up the Fear.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: thomasgjkgwdn.4760

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

Fear Me!
4x Fiery Rush

presuming a certain party composition, methinks.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

When I melee I dodge roll backwards and then forwards when he does his leap to avoid the second attack, which travels outward relatively slowly.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Anierna.6918

Fear Me!
4x Fiery Rush

presuming a certain party composition, methinks.

ofc. 2 ele’s in every group – 1 staff, 1 scepter LH. A single warrior for party buffs/Fear Me! A guard for stability/reflects. Usually the 5th is a thief for stealth/scorp wire/SS and, more importantly, higher FGS dmg/vuln stacking with FGS.

EDIT: Guard because this is HotW. I prefer not taking a guard, if I can possibly avoid it.

(edited by Anierna.6918)

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Not everyone plays double ele for everything.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

/yawn

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

Impresses me everytime again.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

It lands for part of the damage, then sends a shockwave out similar to Warrior Mace #5 for the remainder. Always dodge into him, but the window to only use 1 dodge is still very small.

I like this boss now.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

Same deal with every leap with weird altitude shenanigans going on.

Arah p2 abomination comes to mind.
ac troll (the original!) on stairs or why not even a tiny little bumpy stone? tons of fun.

edit: rereading thread I’m kind of surprised no one knew what you meant.

(edited by RemiRome.8495)

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Fear Me! to the ice-wall slightly behind him and to his left. You can CC him with that before he leaps, or even aggros, and still get him to that wall before the fear runs out. 4x Fiery Rush, dead. 100% success rate in preventing him leaping at all, assuming the war doesn’t screw up the Fear.

This is exactly why people complain about “zergburgers” bypassing boss mechanics. You really do set a great example for the rest of us! The best advice is to teach someone how to deal with the situation when things go wrong or you dont have a perfect group. That means dodge.

Anyway to answer the op. It probably is to do with terrain clipping. I witness it almost every day on abom in arah p2. Probably because he clips the rock when doing the leap. I always assumed it was lag or just an animation bug though. x)

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

This is exactly why people complain about “zergburgers” bypassing boss mechanics. You really do set a great example for the rest of us! The best advice is to teach someone how to deal with the situation when things go wrong or you dont have a perfect group. That means dodge.

Anyway to answer the op. It probably is to do with terrain clipping. I witness it almost every day on abom in arah p2. Probably because he clips the rock when doing the leap. I always assumed it was lag or just an animation bug though. x)

A++ to this. We’re not scrubs, everyone knows how to FGS the thing into the ground and is happy to do that most of the time. Asking a question about the detailed mechanics of a boss is interesting and deserves a better response than “lol fgs.”

Thanks to OP for starting the discussion and others for the points. I’m learning something~

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

About serious discussion, does anyone know why mesmer’s who reflect alphards bomb pull with feedback/curtain deal like 4k damage, but when phantasms reflect it, they deal about 24k damage? Been trying to figure that one for a while now, yet can’t come up with any logical reason.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

spoj.9672

Im guessing empowering illusions and/or phantasmal strength have a big impact. Mesmer doesnt have many personal modifiers. But even so the difference seems a bit too large.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

About serious discussion, does anyone know why mesmer’s who reflect alphards bomb pull with feedback/curtain deal like 4k damage, but when phantasms reflect it, they deal about 24k damage? Been trying to figure that one for a while now, yet can’t come up with any logical reason.

Is it possible that during the Damage Calculation of the Reflection, the game takes into consideration that you have 3 Phantasms reflecting the attack, making the damage boost stack Additively (Or however you spell it) whereas with Feedback it only accounts for the Mesmer’s personal DPS boost?

I.e since each Phantasms get the Damage boost for Increased Phantasm/Clone damage, it’d be x% x3 since all 3 are reflecting? Or have I misunderstood how reflect damage is handled with Clones?

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

Is it possible that during the Damage Calculation of the Reflection, the game takes into consideration that you have 3 Phantasms reflecting the attack, making the damage boost stack Additively (Or however you spell it) whereas with Feedback it only accounts for the Mesmer’s personal DPS boost?

I.e since each Phantasms get the Damage boost for Increased Phantasm/Clone damage, it’d be x% x3 since all 3 are reflecting? Or have I misunderstood how reflect damage is handled with Clones?

That would be truly weird, I think you misunderstand how phantasm damage is handled. :P

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

Im guessing empowering illusions and/or phantasmal strength have a big impact. Mesmer doesnt have many personal modifiers. But even so the difference seems a bit too large.

Mesmers have more apmlifiers than their illusions, aswell as more stats. Phantasms don’t even get potion/sigils, which is why I can’t figure any reason why it is this way.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Any chance to see combat log?

HotW 1 Troll Leap

spoj.9672

Maybe its because when you reflect with feedback it just uses the mesmers personal modifiers and stats. But when its reflected with wardens it uses the clones, which includes empowering illusions and phantasmal str, and then makes the bomb yours so it also uses your personal mods aswell. So you get it increased twice. Thats the only reason i can think of.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

maxinion.8396

Maybe its because when you reflect with feedback it just uses the mesmers personal modifiers and stats. But when its reflected with wardens it uses the clones, which includes empowering illusions and phantasmal str, and then makes the bomb yours so it also uses your personal mods aswell. So you get it increased twice. Thats the only reason i can think of.

That could explain 50% more or something like that, but this is 600%. Something is weird. I certainly can’t explain it, but it’s probably related to something like this.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

Any chance to see combat log?

You don’t see damage inflicted by your illusions in combat log. Way too hard to implement.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

deSade.9437

Wellllllll, I mean, isn’t alpkittene of the buggiest encounters in the game? Just sayin’.
I’m not a genius, but when I see a boss laying down multiple copies of big ol’ bomb which don’t pull you away from the explosion but towards it or, even better alternating pull-knockback, well…
I don’t really trust anything I see when I fight alphard.

…. Alpkittene?
Aight.
I… I see cats everywhere.
/takes some pills

HotW 1 Troll Leap

hendo.1940

I… I see cats everywhere.
/takes some pills

Inb4 more cats.

Rezardi – [DnT]
Game over, yo.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

deSade.9437

This…. uh… They’re climbing up my arm… So furry, so soft…. their meowing pierces my head… Ahhh… Halp.
How am I supposed to dodge with all those kitties around me? Sitting on the keyboard, lying on the case, in front of my screen…
And then people complain I can’t dodge the troll doublehit or alphie. Maybe I need more fgs.

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: Murderous Clown.9723

Murderous Clown.9723

I’m not sure what the cause is, but I have had this same thing happen to me. My party thought I was making up excuses for failed dodges.

Jimibabob – Valkyries of Dwayna [VoD]
Piken Square

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Is this patch update line the beggining the end for Reflect Way dungeons/tactics : The Great Jungle Wurm in Caledon Forest no longer does full damage to itself from reflected projectile attacks. A certain number of the projectiles are no longer reflectable.

What if that was instated in dungeons? :c

HotW 1 Troll Leap

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

The issue with wurm is that everyone that is not the mesmer is screwed. This makes people sad and angry.

Dungeons do not have that problem so it will most definitely be added.

:(

HotW 1 Troll Leap

maxinion.8396

Is this patch update line the beggining the end for Reflect Way dungeons/tactics : The Great Jungle Wurm in Caledon Forest no longer does full damage to itself from reflected projectile attacks. A certain number of the projectiles are no longer reflectable.

What if that was instated in dungeons? :c

Then we’d use untrained wardens and block everything like we already do on many bosses? Obviously would not work on some, like lupi, but tons of bosses are already unreflectable.