Lvl 40 fractal farm meta toxicity

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Kuzuryu.7359

Kuzuryu.7359

If you go on LFG now, every posting for Lvl 40 fractal farm will be 1 chrono, 1 PS war, and 3 DPS tempest. If you are any other class, it’s insta kick.

This is not okay, I am a PS warrior main and I find this already reaching a toxic level. All DPS build should be viable. PS War and Chrono I get it, they are playing mostly support role, but 3 Tempest no exception is not alright.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Create your own group that includes everyone. Problem solved.

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

the majority are like that unfortunately, however as a necro I have been managing to find groups without those restrictions for the past few weeks, you just have to keep your eye on the LFG tab (at rare times you get dumb kittens who leave the group saying “lol necro” after I join), alternatively make your gown group (this works most of the time).

Posted by: OnizukaBR.8537

OnizukaBR.8537

Really? Just make your own group. 40 Farm is not for fun. Almost nobody find fun running molten boss back to back. So you want to make it the most profitable possible. I dont have a tempest, but i dont see a problem with a group wanting to make the most of gold per minute.
Nobody wants to make like half the gold per hour because you want to join as a cond build for 40 farm.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

People playing what they want to play (In this case, a set meta) and requesting certain roles to be filled in their LFG is not toxicity.

Toxicity is if they just post “LFG 40 Farm” with no further info, then proceed to curse you out for not following meta despite them not bothering to post those 4 extra letters in the LFG. Then you can call them toxic.

If someone joins an LFG asking for something specifically when the player in question is NOT what the LFG asking for, then that player is the problem. If said player then start cursing them out for not taking them along despite the LFG ASKING for something completely different, then said player is the Toxic one.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you go on LFG now, every posting for Lvl 40 fractal farm will be 1 chrono, 1 PS war, and 3 DPS tempest. If you are any other class, it’s insta kick.

This is not okay, I am a PS warrior main and I find this already reaching a toxic level. All DPS build should be viable. PS War and Chrono I get it, they are playing mostly support role, but 3 Tempest no exception is not alright.

You’re assuming that the majority of people farming L40 are doing this because that’s what you see in LFG; that’s not necessarily true.

LFGs with strict requirements will take longer to fill; they will remain up for longer. LFGs asking for “any DPS” will get filled more quickly. Unless you’re watching LFG constantly for hours, you can’t tell if what you saw was coincidental or representative.

Besides, even if true, as others have pointed out, you can create your own LFG.

Lastly, even if I’m 100% incorrect about everything, how is it “toxic” for anyone organizing their own group to restrict membership to what they think will work? Inflexible, sure. But toxic?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

The problem isn’t necessarily that they don’t allow Rev/Necros, since it’s already basically a known fact that Rev/Necro burst dps is abysmal and therefore that’s basically a YMMV issue if anything and can be solved by making one’s own LFG that accepts any class. The problem for me personally is that the eles that I find with claim to have “good” dps but when I look at my arcdps chart, I’m top of the table nearly every time as a DH. Whenever I point this out people seem to tilt really, really hard.

Sucks to be good.

Far Shiverpeaks

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The problem for me personally is that the eles that I find with claim to have “good” dps but when I look at my arcdps chart, I’m top of the table nearly every time as a DH. Whenever I point this out people seem to tilt really, really hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which [people] …mistakenly [estimate] their ability …

• highly skilled individuals …underestimate their relative competence and …erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.

This can be translated as:

• People who know how to do something will have trouble understanding why others can’t.
  • People who don’t already know how to do that thing have trouble understanding why it’s even important.

Or in GW2 terms, this is why people think that all they have to do to get good DPS is play ele with zerk+scholar’s.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

The problem for me personally is that the eles that I find with claim to have “good” dps but when I look at my arcdps chart, I’m top of the table nearly every time as a DH. Whenever I point this out people seem to tilt really, really hard.

Sucks to be good.

This. So much this.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

make your own lfg

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Your problem is one sided.
They make a party in LFG, so they have the right make demands of who’s allowed.
If you want to have a party that defies their wishes, then you can make your own party.

tldr; Whoever owns the party, owns the right to tell who’s welcome. Own your own party if you want other rules.

Or in Bender’s words: screw this, I’ll make my own country. With blackjack and hookers.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Or in Bender’s words: screw this, I’ll make my own country. With blackjack and …

I don’t think that an LFG with blackjack would go over well; people would complain about the RNG.

Posted by: kazafz.6780

kazafz.6780

Create your own group that includes everyone. Problem solved.

Exactly this – ‘Create your own group’.

Kazuals Only

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Joins group with lfg “farm40 all welcome”-> each run takes 5+min-> group disbands after 3 runs cause its a joke->still complain about lfg requirements.

Not mention some people throw a tantrum when asked for potions and food/utilities.

(edited by zoomborg.9462)

Posted by: Tatsuya.9071

Tatsuya.9071

I don’t see why this is a problem. Some people want to be as efficient as possible when they are farming. If you have a problem with it just make your own group?

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

tempest is so last patch bros

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

So basically, a group is looking for something specific. Players decide to join no matter what, even while not full filling any reasonable requirements. Pretty much placing their own needs over the needs of the four others in the group. They get removed. The group is toxic now?
Sorry if this sounds mean, but why do these topics always remind me of mothers telling their children to play with that unpopular kid because they feel sorry for him.

Build viability or the perception there of is a different story. Tempests are usually rather mediocre, even bad. Nothing new there.
In any case, most classes can conjure up a burst build that would fit the situation. Those would still be less optiomal than tempests or dragonhunters. Pugs prefer to go with the options which seem most likely to yield the desired results.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

Gyus, the OP won’t coming back – like always in similar threads. ^^

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Or in Bender’s words: screw this, I’ll make my own country. With blackjack and …

I don’t think that an LFG with blackjack would go over well; people would complain about the RNG.

Have you seen the profits in vegas? I’m positive that two hundred percent of people don’t understand probabilities.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Have you seen the profits in vegas? I’m positive that two hundred percent of people don’t understand probabilities.

Sure, that’s why BL keys sell so well and why people drop ecto with Tarkktun.

I guess my joke was weaker than I thought — it was meant to be a comment about how people complain about RNG rewards (even though it’s the random nature which creates some of the excitement for the loot in the first place).

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

hahaha, yeah, or my ability to see humor is busted. one of the two.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Let people do what they want to do—mistaken as it is—and start your own group if you really want to farm this way. It’s only toxic if you don’t respect their wishes and try to join anyway.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I once got kicked because the run was 5 seconds slower……….. and I am one of the tempest……….and I am the one that did not get down….and I was kick…….

Toxic to the max…..

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I once got kicked because the run was 5 seconds slower……….. and I am one of the tempest……….and I am the one that did not get down….and I was kick…….

Toxic to the max…..

well, that’s just stupid…
but I can assure you, some are like that, some are not like that, just try again, plenty of social groups, too

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Toxic to the max…..

well, that’s just stupid…
but I can assure you, some are like that, some are not like that, just try again, plenty of social groups, too

Nah, never run 40 anymore after that…….not worth my time playing with those people…

Posted by: voidvector.2780

voidvector.2780

People making this complaint has no concept of “group composition”, which is critical for speedruns/farms/etc.

Of course people are going to be toxic at you if you go on LFG and look to be “carried”. I have ele & necro fully geared for T4 fractals, and I only run fractal 40 w/ele.

There is enough “casual 40 farms” for this to be non-issue. You can enjoy your 5-minute runs, while groups with proper composition can do 3-minute runs or less.

(edited by voidvector.2780)

Posted by: Murdock.6547

Murdock.6547

Sounds like you should make your own party with blackjack and hookers.

Also let me just SHAMELESSLY plug my awful video since it’s semi-relevant.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oEznBsolOo4

What a circus. Complete with clowns and monkeys that do tricks.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

So you mess up the stack by telling everyone to go to wrong place, were the berserker used to spawn long ago.
Then continue to not help any downed just to survive and not be able to kill them yourself.

This is relevant how?

Posted by: Murdock.6547

Murdock.6547

snip

So you mess up the stack by telling everyone to go to wrong place, were the berserker used to spawn long ago.
Then continue to not help any downed just to survive and not be able to kill them yourself.

This is relevant how?

Firstly, that was someone else that said to stack there.

Secondly, I didn’t help because it’s funnier that way. Me joining was entirely just to see what’d happen in one of these “40 FARM ZERKS EXP ONLY” groups. I was honestly expecting to get instantly kicked for playing necro.

Thirdly I could solo it from a fresh start but my lifeforce was too low at that point in the video and my health as well. Not to mention the reset was kind of an utter buzzkill.

Fourthly: I did say slightly, didn’t I? It’s the same fractal level and some of the people are fairly toxic.

What a circus. Complete with clowns and monkeys that do tricks.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

snip

This is relevant how?

Firstly, that was someone else that said to stack there.

Secondly, I didn’t help because it’s funnier that way. Me joining was entirely just to see what’d happen in one of these “40 FARM ZERKS EXP ONLY” groups. I was honestly expecting to get instantly kicked for playing necro.

Thirdly I could solo it from a fresh start but my lifeforce was too low at that point in the video and my health as well. Not to mention the reset was kind of an utter buzzkill.

Fourthly: I did say slightly, didn’t I? It’s the same fractal level and some of the people are fairly toxic.

i think the key word here is some. the group was bad sure but thats why people want better comps than that. people who seriously do it. if im forming a group and i want specific classes in that group thats my choice. your not allowed to force me to do otherwise. same as i cant stop you from making your own group of random classes and doing what you want. so what is the op asking for? does he want people banned for this? i honestly have no idea.

im bad at sarcasm

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is relevant how?

It’s still unclear how this contributes to the conversation.

Some people are jerks; that has nothing directly to do with L40 farming. It’s more obvious there because people want sub-2 minute runs for half an hour, and that brings out the worst, but it’s not as if we can’t find rude, crude, and socially obnoxious behavior elsewhere in the game.

Don’t like getting kicked because you run a non-preferred class? Start your own LFG or stop joining groups that specify meta options.

Posted by: TheArtOfMouts.7468

TheArtOfMouts.7468

What’s the reward of farming scale 40 ?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What’s the reward of farming scale 40 ?

Per ‘21 rounds’ (about 35 minutes at peak speed)
• cores x20
• lodestone x1
• green/blue/white (only 1-2 white) x60
• rares x13
• exotics x6
• t6 claws x2
• t5 claws x3
• t5 dust x58
• heavy miner/ritual bags x17
• Salvageable fused metal scrap x1
• Broken Spoons x2

• 50k karma (without bonus)
• 252 fractal relics
• ~1.5 M XP (without bonus)
• 63 Fractal Encryption

source: https://redd.it/622fq7

added: You can see how losing as little as 30 seconds on a single run would annoy some organizers. The farm depends on being really fast compared to ordinary PUGs.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I know for a pre-made organized group, mesmer, warrior, and three eles is probably the best way but in a PuG you’d probably get more out of five DH all rocking scepter, zealous scepter, permeating wrath, and feel my wrath. They’d all have 25 might, only need to use #2, #4, and PoB on cooldown and pull 20k+ DPS each. It’d probably be way quicker than the current PuG meta but then again current PuGs are terrible players being behind by two patches.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

The faster you clear the fractal the more money you make. People like making more money. Get over it.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Azamanaza.5740

Azamanaza.5740

Necro main. Rise (thread)!

Power reaper burst is bad, but at 50% boss hp, it deals 25k grave digger crits with full buff. :/

Is that really bad?

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

The faster you clear the fractal the more money you make. People like making more money. Get over it.

Yes, get over extremely poor game balance.

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

What build are the tempests running? I thought ele dps is middle of the road for single target

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Necro main. Rise (thread)!

Power reaper burst is bad, but at 50% boss hp, it deals 25k grave digger crits with full buff. :/

Is that really bad?

The little floater says 25k. It’s not ACTUALLY 25k. Unless you have every raid buff for power, which just isnt going to happen.

That being said. Everytime i do this boss on my condi reaper i ALWAYS have the top damage in the party. No matter the composition.

People kicking Necro are either speed running, or bad. Necro is middle of the road. it can be fast, when you have good rotations, but never as fast as a meta comp. Even power reaper damage is still the lowest of power damage below 50%. Even power mesmer has higher DPS the whole fight.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Since no mod closed this necroed thread yet despite the reports, I guess I can add my opinion on this topic.

I joined a group in LFG that was “L40 relaxed farm” a week ago just because I was curious how it works out. In my opinion, a “farm” is by definition not a relaxed activity.

- nobody except me used fractal potions or the Scarlett’s Armies pot
- not everybody used food/nourishment
- we had trouble keeping the defiance bar down
- people were not dodging or jumping over Berserker’s shock waves
- people didn’t stack
- there was no run without someone dying
- each run took much longer than it takes with my guild mates when L40 is a rec daily

After about a dozen runs, the group disbanded because people left. In the last 3 runs I had to take down Molten Firestorm alone at 10% health because everybody else died. Three times in a row! That was probably the reason why the group disbanded afterwards.

I play power daredevil, so staying alive isn’t a big deal, and it wasn’t my responsibility to keep the team alive. I don’t have skills like that guy who soloed the Molten Bosses at L90 with thief, but any fractal below T4 is easy for me.

My point is: there is no chill farm, it just doesn’t work. If you commit to farming, it’s work. People don’t do L40 over and over again because it’s fun or because they enjoy the cutscene (it’s really well made, but gets old after the first 200 times or so). The only reason these farm groups exist is profit. Characters are just the tools for generating that profit, and for everything there are good and bad tools. In this case, there are classes better suited as tools than others. If you want to get a share of the profit, get a decent tool. You are in a team, and the others are coming with sledgehammers. Don’t show up with a chisel and expect to be allowed in and get the same share.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Faaris.8013)

Vinceman.4572

I joined a group in LFG that was “L40 relaxed farm” a week ago just because I was curious how it works out. In my opinion, a “farm” is by definition not a relaxed activity.

- nobody except me used fractal potions or the Scarlett’s Armies pot
- not everybody used food/nourishment
- we had trouble keeping the defiance bar down
- people were not dodging or jumping over Berserker’s shock waves
- people didn’t stack
- there was no run without someone dying
- each run took much longer than it takes with my guild mates when L40 is a rec daily

After about a dozen runs, the group disbanded because people left. In the last 3 runs I had to take down Molten Firestorm alone at 10% health because everybody else died. Three times in a row! That was probably the reason why the group disbanded afterwards.

I play power daredevil, so staying alive isn’t a big deal, and it wasn’t my responsibility to keep the team alive. I don’t have skills like that guy who soloed the Molten Bosses at L90 with thief, but any fractal below T4 is easy for me.

My point is: there is no chill farm, it just doesn’t work. If you commit to farming, it’s work. People don’t do L40 over and over again because it’s fun or because they enjoy the cutscene (it’s really well made, but gets old after the first 200 times or so). The only reason these farm groups exist is profit. Characters are just the tools for generating that profit, and for everything there are good and bad tools. In this case, there are classes better suited as tools than others. If you want to get a share of the profit, get a decent tool. You are in a team, and the others are coming with sledgehammers. Don’t show up with a chisel and expect to be allowed in and get the same share.

You got exactly what a “L40 relaxed farm” is – and yes, it definitely works!

- People aren’t using food or if so they are using MF food – totally ok
- Nobody is forced to use fractal or Scarlett army slaying potions
- If you don’t have enough cc it doesn’t matter
- People don’t need to execute the mechanics in a relaxed farm
- If people die it won’t matter because it’s “relaxed farm”
- Runs take longer because it’s relaxed farm with strangers

You had the wrong expectation of such a “L40 relaxed farm”. It’s not about being highly efficient at all, you just do it while chilling on your 2nd monitor and still you get more gold than playing any other content in the game. I did it some nights ago for one hour which is comparable to your “dozen runs” and I made around 40g in that time + 150k karma because I used evertyhing that could boost my karma income for that hour.
Another issue is to insist on others doing the support stuff because you are there for the dps. Again, it’s a chilled run so don’t expect others to be top with their class even if you are.
So, definitely no, a relaxed 40 farm is not work – it’s comparable with running in the (old) train farms in CS or FGS with your loot stick. If you want to make the best profit out of it, join the exp farms but be prepared there.

(edited by Vinceman.4572)

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

You got exactly what a “L40 relaxed farm” is – and yes, it definitely works!

But how do you explain that people started leaving after 12 runs? It definitely didn’t work, otherwise we would have kept going.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

Easy to explain.

Everyone that joined did not think it was a L40 relaxed farm, they thought it was a hardcore meta only speedclear farm – ie, that thing where four people do the job and the fifth person leeches.

Except all of them except one wanted to be that leech.

Vinceman.4572

12 runs is an hour – I myself can’t stand farming a lot longer because it’s becoming kitten boring. This is the reason why people leave then and there’s no problem with it.
Making around 40g in one hour is enough for many players a day. You have to keep in mind that the average GW2 player wants to have fun and play the stuff he likes. They do this fractal to obtain gold for stuff they want to buy, not for fun!

Still, your expectations are different. You want to do this for several hours, I suggest either going the “efficient” way with experienced people and strict rules – such players tend to be more focused and will stay – or you just open the lfg and ask for new players which definitely works as well.

Easy to explain.

Everyone that joined did not think it was a L40 relaxed farm, they thought it was a hardcore meta only speedclear farm – ie, that thing where four people do the job and the fifth person leeches.

Except all of them except one wanted to be that leech.

Nope. As you can read above.

(edited by Vinceman.4572)

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Since no mod closed this necroed thread yet despite the reports, I guess I can add my opinion on this topic.

Few weeks ago Gaile Gray said that it is ok to necropost if you contribute to the discussion.

When someone makes a relevant, contributing comment in an older thread, we should leave the thread open to see how it develops. Naturally, valueless comments wouldn’t be great, and they might result in a thread closure. But what happened here was perfectly fine. Someone actually went to the trouble of finding a thread (which ain’t easy without a search engine!) and adding meaningful content, and that’s just fine.

I will make sure that the moderator team is aware of our practices, so that a necro post without value is acted upon but relevant comments remain.

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Obviously op should just make their own group, but I want to bring up something else.

Can we replace the fractal 40 farm with something better? How about a repeatable achievement to do all fractals 25-50, that has a really good monetary reward? I think it would be a lot more interesting to run through a variety of lower level fractals, rather than the same fractal again and again. Additionally, this would probably lead to more interesting team comps, and filling a lot of the void left behind by the killing of dungeons.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Obviously op should just make their own group, but I want to bring up something else.

Can we replace the fractal 40 farm with something better? How about a repeatable achievement to do all fractals 25-50, that has a really good monetary reward? I think it would be a lot more interesting to run through a variety of lower level fractals, rather than the same fractal again and again. Additionally, this would probably lead to more interesting team comps, and filling a lot of the void left behind by the killing of dungeons.

ANet didn’t invent the fractal 40 farm. It’s an accident of the fights being quicker than anything else. As long as a certain fractal can be done in sub-3 minute time, that will be the farm. If there isn’t any such fractal, people will return to Silverwastes RIBA, realize that other maps (besides Frostgorge) also have weeks worth event farming, or get creative and invent some other farm.

Players who like to farm are a lot like Ants: if there’s a picnic, they’ll find it and be all over it. And there’s always a picnic somewhere.

Doing fractals already has a pretty good reward; there’s no need to add more.

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

That would inevitably lead to a new meta comp designed and tailored for speed and efficiency. Any kind of repeatable farm leads to this. It would genuinely be much more interesting at first but over time it would become just as repetitive as Frac40 is. Farm aint about fun or being casual. It’s about hardcore efficiency, otherwise u are better off playing silverwastes and HoT metas.

thrag.9740

That would inevitably lead to a new meta comp designed and tailored for speed and efficiency. Any kind of repeatable farm leads to this. It would genuinely be much more interesting at first but over time it would become just as repetitive as Frac40 is. Farm aint about fun or being casual. It’s about hardcore efficiency, otherwise u are better off playing silverwastes and HoT metas.

I never said it wouldn’t have a meta, I said probably a more interesting one, in particular I imagine stealth skipping would enter into the discussion. A skill which use to be important in gw2, which is now pretty much forgotten.

Also, there are plenty of casual farmers. Half the dungeon community pre hot were basically casual farmers. Half the f40 groups have relaxed group comps. I see necros, engis, and thieves in f40 groups all the time.

You say casual fractal farmers might as well run meta events, has it occurred to you that players actually have preferences? We get about 45 minutes of instanced pve content per day. More like 3-4 total hours on raid night (thats including fractals). Maybe players want to play content where their individual contribution is meaningful, while also working towards long term goals such as legendaries, etc.

thrag.9740

Doing fractals already has a pretty good reward; there’s no need to add more.

Doing fractals has a good reward, for 30 minutes a day. My proposal wouldn’t add anything to that reward. What if I wanted to play gw2 for a few hours on the weekend? Daily dungeon tours use to give a lot more daily content, now we have a ton less.

And I’m not interested in hearing anything like, ‘dungeons are still there’. They are still there, the community however is not, and that was Anet’s stated intent.

Anet decimated the amount of daily content we had. They promised us that fractals would be taking up the slack and be the developed 5 man content going forward. But it doesn’t matter how many new fractals we get, as the daily fractal system limits the amount of daily content. There could be 200 fractals, and we would only get rewards for 3 per day in this system.

Now, to be fair to Anet, they have produced these repeatable challenge motes for 99 and 100. However, those hardly feel like a replacement for the purposefully killed off dungeon scene, and they certainly don’t feel like a means towards expensive goals such as legendary items, etc.