Need advice on classes for dungeons run

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: ayanami.1597

ayanami.1597

Q:

Hi all,
I have just leveled a necromancer to lvl80 and tried to do some dungeons run with her. However, I got kicked out of the group for five time straight. When I finally get into a group, I found myself contribute nothing to the group. I was running full condition build on my necromancer, I can bring no swiftness, no might, no stealth to the group.
After that, I read some post in the forum and found that engineer, ranger and necromancer aren’t that good in dungeon run.
So, I decide to raise another character for dungeon as well as open world farming, can anyone please give me some advice on which class to pick? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

A:

First things first, Kudos to you for actually wanting to contribute, realizing that your Condition Build is Subpar in this Aspect of the game and going out of your way to be more helpful. We need more people like that.

Now, you want dungeons? There are Three Professions that are welcome basically everywhere, even among bads and scrubs: Warrior, Guardian and Elementalist.

Warrior: Easiest Professions to Learn and Play with. Doesn’t bring anything particularily noteworthy to the Table except for their Banners, who are unique Buffs. However, they have High DPS, Reliable Survivability and Can stack Might on their own fairly well, though that role usually falls on the Elementalist. They’re bit of a Jack-of-all-Trades profession: Good at everything, but best at None.

Guardian: Unmatched Defensive Support, Great team Buffs, High Damage. Guardians have a lot on their shoulders though and aren’t as forgiving to play as Warriors thanks to their low HP and reliance on Active defenses. Still, with plenty of Blinds, Aegis, Protection, Heals, Condition Cleanses and Projectile Reflections, they’re the one profession in charge of Support and Defense in the group. And they do all this even when Geared out in Full Zerker.

Elementalist: Highest DPS in the game with Fiery Greatsword, Best Profession for Stacking Might/Fury with the party. Easy access to Fire/Water Fields and plenty of Blasts to go with it. The elementalist’s job is to Pump up the party, and then pump out as much DPS as possible. A good Elementalist can wipe the floor with most enemies and bosses before they even know what hit them. They’re squishy as they come, however, as you’d expect from a Nuker profession.

Aside from those, Thieves and Rangers also bring something good to a Dungeon team, even if the general populace prefer to overlook this. Mesmers aren’t as useful as people might think, but they’re indisensible in particular dungeon paths and high-level Fractals. The learning curve on Mesmer however prompts me to suggest another class until you’ve made yourself familiar with the game mechanics, dungeon paths and team synergy overall.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

(edited by TheSwede.9512)

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Well, first on your Necro. Conditions are bad for dungeons, unless you’re soloing (I think).

Second, Necro has really high single target DPS, problem is like you said Necro is very selfish. Engineer and Ranger can be amazing in dungeons, though most people don’t use them properly.

Engineer has lots of Might and Vuln stacking. Can also stealth. Ranger can have good damage and gives the party a huge damage increase with Spotter and Frost Spirit.

As for which class you want to use in dungeons, it depends on your play style.

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Warrior: Easiest Professions to Learn and Play with. Doesn’t bring anything particularily noteworthy to the Table except for their Banners, who are unique Buffs. However, they have High DPS, Reliable Survivability and Can stack Might on their own fairly well, though that role usually falls on the Elementalist. They’re bit of a Jack-of-all-Trades profession: Good at everything, but best at None.

They actually bring 150 Power via EA, and 170 from Strength Banner. With PS they keep group might consistently capped even during longer fights in Fractals. Then of course Discipline Banner brings 170/170 Prec./Ferocity. I believe someone on here did the post patch math recently; Warrior brings a lot of offensive buff an organized party’s DPS.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

They actually bring 150 Power via EA, and 170 from Strength Banner. With PS they keep group might consistently capped even during longer fights in Fractals. Then of course Discipline Banner brings 170/170 Prec./Ferocity. I believe someone on here did the post patch math recently; Warrior brings a lot of offensive buff an organized party’s DPS.

A SINGLE war does. The 2nd/3rd/4th wars are useless. You’d do better bringing multiple eles instead – this is incredibly important and something that neither you nor Swede mentioned. The 2012/13 idea of multiple wars is kittened and has been scrapped by most elite guilds (i hear even DnT has finally gotten smart and now usually runs 2x eles and 1 war in their casual runs. About time).

Something Swede didnt mention is the importance of a thief. 1 thief per group is usually beneficial, since there are parts in almost every dungeon where stealth speeds things up a lot (particularly via Black Powder + party blasts).

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

BHB detected

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Engineer and Ranger can be good, it’s just not recognized as such. Warrior, Mesmer, Guardian and Elementalist all bring good party play. Warriors for Banners (though you only really need 1), Mesmers for Aggro, Boons and Reflects. Guardians for Boons. Condition removal and Reflects, and Elementalists for conjured weapons. (I haven’t extensively played Elementalists or Mesmers so correct me if I’m forgetting something)

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

As someone who mainly plays his Nec, this thread makes me sad.

Posted by: ayanami.1597

ayanami.1597

wow, thz for all the replies. I decided to give elementalist and warrior a try. Hope I will be worthy to run dungeons someday.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Good choice. Warr is probably best to learn on. Ele’s are a bit squishy and need to be adapted to various situations more than warr.

Have fun, and don’t hesitate to come back if you have more questions!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It’s not so much the profession you choose, you need to be in full berserker gear and running something at least reminiscent of meta builds. I.e., if you were to choose warrior and use a rifle, almost every group is going to kick you.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

People need to start realizing FGS isn’t DPS, it’s burst.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Which makes it dps in a small enough time interval. Small enough to fit in killing most of the dungeon bosses.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

People need to start realizing FGS isn’t DPS, it’s burst.

I’m curious how you define DPS? Damage per Second is how I define it, it’s a term often misused, but it’s simply a ratio of damage relative to time. Fiery rush is a VERY HIGH DPS move.

Posted by: Agony.3542

Agony.3542

DPS is the derivative of the damage vector as a function of time.

RIP game 2012-2014

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

DPS is sustained damage over time, not damage per skill. Once you consider the long-kitten cooldown on the conjure versus how many Fiery Rushes you’ll actually get out of it, it’s not really that great.

Elementalists do have good DPS, it’s not because of Fiery Rush though. Fiery Rush is good for bursting wallable bosses and large targets like burrows but that’s about it.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

DoT is Damage over Time
DPS is Damage per Second

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Your original complaint makes sense now as your definition differs from the actual definition. You’re talking Sustained DPS, not just DPS. Fiery rush is a burst DPS skill, That’s not to say Damage per skill, that’s saying Damage per Second for the skill is high. It’s burst because it spikes the dps high but due to a reuse it cannot be maintained. Leading to a sustained DPS over the course of a longer fight that is lower than the DPS of just that skill alone

You really can’t go around defining things however you want and expect people to be on the same page

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

If fgs is off cooldown for every fight and every fight only lasts as long as you have fgs. Then its perfectly reasonable to consider it as high dps. You dont stay dpsing for 10 minutes straight when running a dungeon. Im sure you would know this if you actually played the game Guang.

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

I honestly dunno wtf Guang is talking about.

Scenario 1: my party drops 4x FGS and we wall our target with fear me/scorp wire/lh 3/LoS tricks/curtain/banish, then we each do a single 4 attack, and the target’s dead. Maybe we each do a single 5 attack before the 4 and/or a 3 attack after it, but either way, the fight lasts only a few secs. In this scenario, FGS is undeniably highest DPS.

Scenario 2: longer period of time, perhaps the full 1 min that FGS lasts, or the nearly 2 mins if you pick up your 2nd FGS. What i have in mind is something like a lupi solo. Assuming your target is against a wall, FGS is high DPS for as long as you have it, even though the 4 is on a 10 sec CD and the 3 is on a 5 sec CD. What im saying is that spamming the 3, 4, and 5 attacks on CD and autoing in the meanwhile is worth it. If my target is against a wall, I’d do more DPS over that 1 or 2 min timeframe with FGS than I’d do with Lightning Whip or LH or fire-staff. Not to mention the better vuln stacking via FGS + Air 25 minor.

So I’ll ask again… wtf is Guang going on about?

(edited by Anierna.6918)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

So I’ll ask again… wtf is Guang going on about?

Ya I don’t get it either. FGS Skill 4 is high DPS, FGS Skill 3, 4 and 5 with some 1 when everything else is on CD is also high DPS. Its not like say a guardian GS that have some good burst dmg skill, but poor AA so you switch to S/F for the AA.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD