Potential solution for stacking

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

Not sure if the engine allows it, but if so, could collision detection be added for players except for dodge rolls like the way mobs are setup? I don’t mean everywhere, just inside of dungeons only.

It’s not big, but it’d go a long way into removing a lot of the cheese factor in dungeons runs.

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

i’ve played a game with collision and this is really a bad stuff, my solution about stacking is if player will stack on some corner or wall for more than 5 sec, boss will become unattackable… so if u wanna damage him u have to spread out

Posted by: SephiSlash.6780

SephiSlash.6780

Oh look it’s this thread again.

medohgeuh.4650

Some of us don’t live on the forums.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

i’ve played a game with collision and this is really a bad stuff, my solution about stacking is if player will stack on some corner or wall for more than 5 sec, boss will become unattackable… so if u wanna damage him u have to spread out

terrible idea
-10/10

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

If you’re just going to make stacking thread #8436292048472 and then probably just not bother reading your thread after the first day since you “don’t live on the forums” then maybe step back, think for a minute and decide not to post the thread. I’ll be blunt – nobody here is interested in reading another solution thread for an imaginary problem.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

medohgeuh.4650

Look, you may be fortunate enough to roll with a party that has a similar mindset as you, but guess what? Most of us are not so privileged so please take your hostility elsewhere.

This is very much still a problem in the game, and there’s so many simple things that can be done to eliminate it and make dungeon runs more challenging and fun. Is that really so awful to ask for?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Please, give us a few examples where stacking is a problem. I’m sure we’re all dying to find out.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

As the influx of new players come into the dungeons of tyria. I realize those of us that have been around for awhile do need to temper our reactions periodically.

that being said.

Solution:

Dont stack.

Its really that easy.

Coming back to the actual concept. Take a moment and realize that changing existing game elements, maps, enemies and the like to “deter stacking” is not going to happen. time money, man hours and resources better spent elsewhere.

It is not going to change. The ONLY the that can change right now is YOUR view and thought process. So rather than Come to the forums and chastise whomever. Ask different questions.

Why do people stack?
What do i do if I don’t want to?
HOW do i “stack” correctly?
what is actually happening in the stack.

I can assure you that a vast majority of dungeon runners will arbitrarily stack somewhere and honestly have no idea why, how, or what goes on. As you spend you time learning how you class works. and how the Dungeon works you will find yourself “stacking” less and less. as you will have a better understanding of what is actually happening.

I would encourage you to Seek out the Guild [PASS] " players against stacking and skipping". I do not have their contact info handy perhaps someone might see this and poke in. If they are still running??

Bottom line.
The game is not going to change any time soon.
the only thing that can change is how YOU interact with it.

If you don’t want to stack… don’t. it really is that simple.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Sometimes I feel the “fix stacking argument” is like saying “fix everyone melee-ing”. Do you want it so every boss, we’re unable to all melee? I mean, there’s stacking and LOSing. You can stack without LOSing it into a corner. However, some bosses are better not to stack. I mean, the Queen Spider is still possible to take down in the corner, but tbh the chances to fail are worth just killing it in the open.

Stacking utilizes:
- Sharing of boons – whether this is shouts, caused by your weapon (guard hammer) etc
- Being able to quick revive as they fall right below you if they down
- Not having to chase the mobs around and being able to use your multi-target skills the most efficient way
- Applying conditions such as blind to everything, constantly, all at once
- Combo finishers
- Any form of healing that applies to your party members (e.g virtue of resolve)

There are times when stacking is not necessary. There are times when it is just far, far superior to not stacking. Alpha in CoE is 10x easier fully stacked in the corner. Why? ‘Cause I can pop my aegis, my heals, my condition cleanse on everyone to save their butts when they need it by mistiming a dodge. And if they down, they’re right there below me, and they have more chance of being res’d by the party before he ice AOEs again. If someone is stood miles from me and gets hit by ice, the chances of us getting over to res and protect before his next ice attack are small.

AC P1 boss and AC P3 boss are a good example of when stacking is useful and not. AC P1, no reason to stack. Sure, with FGS you can get him down quick in a corner, but the speed at which you can get him down in the open is almost as efficient when it comes down to it. And often safer with people you’re unfamiliar with. But AC P3 boss, stacking in the corner means you avoid the mega-knockdown rumble attack. Why anyone would think standing in a safe spot for that boss is wrong is crazy.

| Lithia |

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Asking for a no stacking solution to be coded in by ANet would be as ridiculous as asking ANet to remove staff and mace from guardians and longbow and shortbow from rangers.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

A collision system is a rather large change.

And I may have read this wrong but mobs don’t have a collision system in game as well. You might have mistaken the melee assist option for one however. That one tries to prevent you from running through an enemy in order to make it easier to stay in melee against a moving target. But if you uncheck that option, you can move freely through any target.

Which frankly put is a highly necessary thing to do in pvp and wvw. At least in my opinion.

Aside from that, I think Ropechef put it the best. The simple solution is the best in this case. just don’t stack. If you get an overabundance of grief from other players for that, make your own party and label it “no stacking”. It might take a minute longer to fill up than a nondescript party, but you avoid people interested in a different playstyle.
Once youve met a few people and they were friendly enough put them on your friends list or mayba ask them about their guild, wether they prefer to run this way and start building a community for that or hopefully get integrated into an existing one (they do exist).

Be warned however. The number of people out there that don’t read party descriptions is uncomfortably large. So in some time you might find yourself here again complaining that no one reads or gives a fluffy feline about your descriptions. When that happens: Welcome to our world.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

If you’re just going to make stacking thread #8436292048472 and then probably just not bother reading your thread after the first day since you “don’t live on the forums” then maybe step back, think for a minute and decide not to post the thread. I’ll be blunt – nobody here is interested in reading another solution thread for an imaginary problem.

I am.

If YOU are not interested then YOU don`t have to read it.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Why are you playing GW2 if you don’t like the mechanics of the combat?

Lindbur.2537

So, where’s our OP? Did he ‘forget’ about this thread, like the rest of those before him? I’m waiting for some examples, y’know.

A remnant of times past.

Mac.3872

Maybe he fell for their advertising?

And only after spending 50£ learned all there is to it is stack and mash.

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

My drunk friend in a skype call was making similar suggestions as this guy to a way extreme extent, ofcourse he was being sarcastic so i know this friend rarely plays the game anymore, so i asked him: so i asume you’ve been reading the forums? His response was huh no why? So i told him this is pretty much what people keep suggesting on the dungeon forum boards, he bursted out laughing even harder than he was initially, he found peace with the idea that he had great ideas.

The extreme extent involved collision, exploding when coming to close to teamates, a floating invisible wall around npc’s and all that good stuff.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Lindbur.2537

I alone have been anointed to spread my boons for you…
FOR I LOOOVE YOU!
Let me show you the power of stacking!
Embrace the powerful hits!

And there it is, friends! The ugly truth.

Attachments:

A remnant of times past.

maha.7902

how about you … Stop playing? If you don’t enjoy a game doesn’t it make sense to stop playing it? It’s like everyone on this forum is addicted to self flagellation, they whine about stacking over and over again and just … Carry on playing, making themselves annoyed and whining some more. I mean if you still wanted to play you could just make no stack lfgs – it’s not that hard.

Mac.3872

how about you … Stop playing? If you don’t enjoy a game doesn’t it make sense to stop playing it? It’s like everyone on this forum is addicted to self flagellation, they whine about stacking over and over again and just … Carry on playing, making themselves annoyed and whining some more. I mean if you still wanted to play you could just make no stack lfgs – it’s not that hard.

And that effects you how?

No one forces you to visit the forum. No one forces you to read these threads.. yet you are in every one of them trolling the OP. How about you…. stop reading these threads?
If you don’t enjoy a thread doesn’t it make sense to stop reading it?

maha.7902

The reason I reply is firstly to educate people on realising that stacking is both not an issue and that if it’s such a major issue they can make no stack lfgs. Secondly, so that if there is an anet reading that they don’t take the OP seriously because they’re whining about a non issue. You, however, just don’t like stacking, and want to reply in threads with people who share your view so that you can feel good about yourself.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I would not mind collision for players (as long as it wasn’t like, my weapon attack gets blocked because someone in my party is in between myself and the boss). If its only use is to make it so a party cannot stand on a single pixel or something, sure. But I don’t think a group being in melee altogether is a thing that should be discouraged.

Do I think stacking is a problem? No, not at all. And I also think that while a vocal minority keeps crying about it, the player base at large is not okay with making dungeons and other pve content more “difficult”. The issue at hand is that.. well. Let us be really honest here and count in our heads the amount of pugs who still fail the most basic of dungeon strategies with stacking. Hint: it’s most of them.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Mac.3872

The reason I reply is firstly to educate people on realising that stacking is both not an issue and that if it’s such a major issue they can make no stack lfgs. Secondly, so that if there is an anet reading that they don’t take the OP seriously because they’re whining about a non issue. You, however, just don’t like stacking, and want to reply in threads with people who share your view so that you can feel good about yourself.

Firstly: Its not an issue for YOU. You are not educating anyone, you are simply trying to make people think as you do.

Replying to threads where people share my opinion does not make me “feel good” I am taking part in a discussion with like minded people. You should probably try doing that.

Maybe start your own thread about how awesome stacking is. its not that hard

/thread

(edited by Mac.3872)

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Calling it a “Solution” is a misnomer. Stacking is not a problem, it’s just something Some people consider a problem. Others consider it to be just fine. Stacking is very much part of ANet’s “Play how you want” policy and if it were to be taken away that’d work directly against ANet’s intentions. Just as you’re allowed to not stack, the option to stack needs to be as real and viable as the opposite. The fact that it is the Favoured method in the LFG over Not Stacking doesn’t transform either of the two playstyles into some sort of objective, universal problem.

The problem arises when people who simply won’t go out of their way to find like-minded individuals decide to just join any random PUG group in LFG and then find themselves in a situation they’re uncomfortable/unamused with. This in turn is nothing but an after-effect of the shortcomings of the LFG-system (Which, admittedly, is still in Beta), faulty/lacking information in the advertisement from the posted groups and personal laziness on accord of the player seeking a group.

However, every individual needs to ask themselves the following questions before they start blaming the system or the trends for all their “Lack of fun”:

If you’re joining a PuG on LFG:

• Did the LFG post state, literally or insinuated, the requirements that I was looking for?
  • Were there any level of communication within the group I joined?
  • Did the group and myself agree on the specific requirements and what exactly they entailed?
  • Am I certain I was teamed with like-minded individuals?
  • Failing all the above, did I try to create my own group with requirements after my own heart?

If you’re creating a group in LFG:

• Am I entirely clear with my intentions in the advertisement post?
  • Is there any communication from the ones who join me?
  • Is it a good time of the day to be looking for people?
  • Can I expect people that join me to have read and understood my requirements? (This is a trick question. The answer is always no)
  • Am I patient enough to wait for my group to fill up?
  • If I’m in a hurry, or just impatient, am I willing to compromise my personal enjoyment factor for the sake of having a casual run?

If everything just isn’t working for you:

• Have I looked for a guild and/or community that suits my needs?
  • Have I considered starting and advertising for a guild and/or community that suits my needs?

If you can’t answer yes to all of the above (Save for the obvious trick question) then you really have no place complaining about playstyles and how they aren’t conforming to you and your personal preferences, unless you’re actually looking to get shot down by people from the other camp. Claiming there’s a problem with stacking is just as redundant and subjective as it would be to claim that there’s a problem with not stacking. Or that people should stop eating cheese because you think cheese is gross and thus it must be gross.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Firstly: Its not an issue for YOU. You are not educating anyone, you are simply trying to make people think as you do.

Replying to threads where people share my opinion does not make me “feel good” I am taking part in a discussion with like minded people. You should probably try doing that.

/thread

I don’t really care about the argument you and colesy are having, but it is extremely presumptuous to put “/thread” in a thread where you have actually not put any suggestion or discussion related to the OP.

Lets stick to the OP: collisions in game rather than collisions of polar opposite personalities.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Mac.3872

/thread

I don’t really care about the argument you and colesy are having, but it is extremely presumptuous to put “/thread” in a thread where you have actually not put any suggestion or discussion related to the OP.

Lets stick to the OP: collisions in game rather than collisions of polar opposite personalities.

Yes you are right. My apologies for derailing a perfectly reasonable thread. I appear to have show my frustration towards people who try to stifle discussion when the discussion does not match their personal opinion.

maha.7902

/thread

And the way I think is right, therefore it is teaching.

Posted by: Silberfisch.3046

Silberfisch.3046

Ok, lets discuss the idea of a collision system.
I am against a collision system. For one it would deeply impact wvw, pvp and open world events. Even if you put a zone restriction to it like the OP suggested, then we have an even further increased inconsitency between dungeons and other game modes.
Another point is what constitutes as a collision. Lilith would like to exclude attacks, the op dodge rolls. Both suggestions are not only reasonable but absolutely necessary to allow melee oriented playstyles at all.
But in addition – as Lilith said – it it further increases the difficulty for people meleeing (sp?) something. And most of the time meleeing something is already more difficult than ranging something.
With multiple player characters in the “melee zone” moving out of a cleave or cone attack for example becomes much more difficult. Practically forcing you to dodge and therefore waste endurance or skill cooldowns on something you could otherwise have countered simply by moving your toon.
This most likely forces players to go ranged, simply due to space restrictions. Forcing people into ranged combat does absolutely nothing to “remove a lot of the cheese factor” as the OP called it. It just forces a certain playstyle on some people in the group. A playstyle they might not like much (I for example prefer to take on my enemies up close and personal).

On a side note: Medohgeuh, if you want to initiate a serious and reasonable discussion you should probalby refrain from using phrases that debase someone elses playstyle, especially if your description of it is not entirely correct. Helps a lot in my experience if you don’t want to be taken for a troll and to prevent a fast flamewar like we partially got here.

Edit: Something I forgot: what happens if a dodge or attack involving movement carries you into another player because they moved? Will the system simply reposition you outside of their space or stop you dead in your tracks before you enter their space? In that case your defensive maneuver might actually place you in a worse position than the one you tried to avoid.

I admit I am no programmer but I imagine this will also put additional strain on the server. Position is a variable the server already has to check right now to evaluate if an attack/boon/whatever connects. But with that new system I guess it will have additional load to compensate for blocked positions and forced relocations and it will always have to check wether your movement was part of an evade or attack and can carry you through a blocked position or not.

If you happen to stumble across any typos,
you may keep them to rear new and interesting variants in your basement.

(edited by Silberfisch.3046)

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

I’ve played MMOs that have had collision detection before, if anything stacking in them was far easier. You could pin a boss in a corner or against a wall with your bodies and have him never move at all, just because collision detection prevented him from walking through you. You could also surround bosses out in the open and prevent them from moving with as little as 3 people if his hit box was large enough to prevent him from moving through the spaces between the people.

Collision detection is a terrible solution to a non existent problem, think about the massive issues it would cause in open world, WvW, or just trying to get close enough to use an auction house or bank; also, the AI in this game is terrible enough, adding collision detection would probably make breaking the AI super easy.

I can think of so many trolling opportunities with collision detection, small hallways and large charr blocking progress for entire groups, nothing good would come of it. Just the fact that there are jumping puzzles in this game pretty much means you could never have collision detection.

If you don’t want to stack join a non-stacking group or make your own, simple.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

If you don’t like corner-stacking bosses, do fractals. When I got kinda bored of the fgs meta I started doing fractals on my mes and I have a lot of fun.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not sure if the engine allows it, but if so, could collision detection be added for players except for dodge rolls like the way mobs are setup? I don’t mean everywhere, just inside of dungeons only.

It’s not big, but it’d go a long way into removing a lot of the cheese factor in dungeons runs.

In order for there to be a solution, there must be a problem. Stacking is not a problem. If you don’t like it then create your own group and specify that you don’t want to stack.

maha.7902

If you don’t like corner-stacking bosses, do fractals. When I got kinda bored of the fgs meta I started doing fractals on my mes and I have a lot of fun.

lol Mesmer

Mac.3872

In order for there to be a solution, there must be a problem. Stacking is not a problem. If you don’t like it then create your own group and specify that you don’t want to stack.

Thanks, man. I just spat my coffee over my keyboard.

You just gave us a solution to the problem

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

why are you typing if there’s coffee on your keys shouldn’t you be cleaning it up?

or are you a LIAR?

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Or maybe you could do a quick forum search and find that there’s hundreds of threads on this already in under a minute. But I understand people like to feel special about being an OP :P

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. This toxic stacking environment is ruining my immersion. I go into a dungeon and I expect to be able to play my class as it was intended. Why should I, as a RANGER be forced to stand in melee range with my LONGbow? It’s called *long*bow for a reason, it’s because it’s meant to be used at long range. I can understand that my bear pet needs to melee, but that doesn’t mean I have to. Seriously sick of the elitism that is rife in dungeon parties these days, the community has really gone downhill.

Back at release I never had trouble getting into groups but now it’s just stupid. They don’t care about me at all, and I’ve had enough. When they’re all on the ground complaining about not enough dps, I’m the last one standing and I alone am ressing them. I have been standing outside of the stack every time and playing as the game was intended and what thanks do I get? A swift kick. Now I understand that there’s a ‘meta’ now, so yes, I have adapted.

I now use a whiptail devourer for the pet because everybody dislikes bears so much. I have really gone the distance to satisfy people here while still staying true to what my class is supposed to be. I even used Search and rescue to res people when their stack dies. I have done nothing but play for the sake of other people since day 1 but nobody care, they are all incredibly selfish. Enough is enough, Arena Net has to make the changes because I’m done making changes to my game play for the sake of other people.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Aragorn was a Ranger, and used a sword. Just saying

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

J Eberle.9312

Aragorn was a Ranger, and used a sword. Just saying

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Stop oppressing me.

Lindbur.2537

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. This toxic stacking environment is ruining my immersion. I go into a dungeon and I expect to be able to play my class as it was intended. Why should I, as a RANGER be forced to stand in melee range with my LONGbow? It’s called *long*bow for a reason, it’s because it’s meant to be used at long range. I can understand that my bear pet needs to melee, but that doesn’t mean I have to. Seriously sick of the elitism that is rife in dungeon parties these days, the community has really gone downhill.

Back at release I never had trouble getting into groups but now it’s just stupid. They don’t care about me at all, and I’ve had enough. When they’re all on the ground complaining about not enough dps, I’m the last one standing and I alone am ressing them. I have been standing outside of the stack every time and playing as the game was intended and what thanks do I get? A swift kick. Now I understand that there’s a ‘meta’ now, so yes, I have adapted.

I now use a whiptail devourer for the pet because everybody dislikes bears so much. I have really gone the distance to satisfy people here while still staying true to what my class is supposed to be. I even used Search and rescue to res people when their stack dies. I have done nothing but play for the sake of other people since day 1 but nobody care, they are all incredibly selfish. Enough is enough, Arena Net has to make the changes because I’m done making changes to my game play for the sake of other people.

Level… too high…

A remnant of times past.

J Eberle.9312

Level… too high…

Stop it with the obscure commentary sriously. I am so done with this community of trolls and elitists who think they’re so much smarter than me. I have been playing since launch and I have over 18k achievement points. I know how this game works.

Lindbur.2537

Alas, you wound me. I understand all that has transpired.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

“Enough is enough!” “They are all selfish” and “I refuse to adapt my tactics to a more efficient and team-oriented, supportive play style”!

LMAO at the ‘common nonsense’.

#PHIWhipocracy

Tman.6349

AP numbers and time spent playing doesn’t = any sort of proficiency/skill/understanding of basic concepts. Bringing these points up to make that case only drives the point home a bit further. I’ve been in plenty of dungeon runs with 21k AP Cleric AH Guardians who use only scepter and staff. /supersadface*

Lindbur.2537

:)

Attachments:

A remnant of times past.

Mac.3872

How do these trolls get away with it?

I mean, I know its a kids game so I can expect people to behave like kids in-game, But is`nt there community guide lines to prevent thread Hi-jack, trolling, baiting?

(edited by Mac.3872)

J Eberle.9312

How do these trolls get away with it?

Honestly I don’t even know. There needs to be some serious action.

Lindbur.2537

Trade secret.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

/copypastetoeveryphiwthreadfromnowuntilforever

medohgeuh.4650

Wow, nice job kittenting on my thread, guys. I don’t even know where to begin wading through this mess.

Look, Guild Wars 2 is an ARPG: adaptability and evasion should be king. If you don’t understand how everyone exploiting the system by huddling in a corner breaks this, then I don’t even know what to tell you.

The whole irony of this is the diehard stackers tend to be the ones that I’m having to peel off the dungeon floor because they haven’t learned what x or y mob actually does.

Tman.6349

You’re thread was a regurgitation of many others and happens to have 3 twins on the main page. Excuse us for not taking your imaginary problem more serious when it AND SOLUTIONS have been stated countless times before. IE. You don’t like how others play: find a group who agrees with how you’d like to play. The answers will always be the same when the NON-ISSUE is ALWAYS the SAME. See how that works?