500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

I am mostly surprised this thread hasn’t been locked, yet. The staff might have been laughing a bit at the start, but after 7 pages of the same thing .. Over and over.. It is a rather depressing picture.

I sincerely hope Jane Player doesn’t think this is what the whole Guild Wars community is like.

It should be closed. The points are intended. Move along people.

Posted by: Arty.4270

Arty.4270

Best Necromancer NA, stop crying please. Its just not bearable anymore.

Posted by: Jekyll.9286

Jekyll.9286

Best Necromancer NA, stop crying please. Its just not bearable anymore.

I too am having a hard time taking someone serious who has “Best Necromancer NA” as his signature.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

So you want to slap every gw1 veteran in the face?

Do you know how much I supported pre-release gw2?

I’ve supported the development of gw2 since 2007! Way before the hype and even the dragon logo.

I’ve told everyone I have known about this “awesome upcoming game” in a bunch of other mmo’s from 2007-2012 release. These mmo’s included CoH (rip ), Launch of Aion-2012 Aion, and many others.

To me, these rewards weren’t worth it, but I could care less.

I would gladly trade these AP for other skins like my Rainbow Phoenix or my mini Kunnavang and my Chaos Gloves

Yeah. Not only did we financially support the game, we also showed that there would be a fanbase for the second game, and we did our best to keep support for the new game despite delays that lasted /years/.

I’d love to get my Black beast of Arrrgh back, too. I’d take him over 500 cheevo points, though I appreciate those points.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sylv.5324

Most GW1 veterans just played a game and got what they paid for. They did not put a single dime more into the development of GW2 (which is a completely new product, in business terms) than everyone else who bought GW2.

Yes, we did. They stopped updating GW1 in any major way a long time ago, but we still bought boxes and cash shop items. Not to mention that the word of mouth on our behalf definitely drummed up sales of GW2.

Anet clearly appreciates what we did. Maybe you should listen to them.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

This topic reminds me of that one kid in 4th grade who had the most Lego’s and made sure everyone else knew it.

*rolleyes

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: killeratwar.3759

killeratwar.3759

I see jealousy towards GW1 players.
GW1 players deserve everything they get regardless.
OP problem is probably that he`s not a veteran in the Guild Wars Universe.
Welcome to Guild Wars …..We were here first.

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

The strange thing everyone who brings this ‘problem’ up seems to assume is: “you played GW1 so you automatically have 500 freeby points”…

Hah! I finished all three campaigns and EotN, plus played a few months extra and I’m not even at 20 out of the 50 HoM points. The people kicking up sand assume it’s all kittens and giggles…

Seriously, GW2 players think they know what grind is. Go grind the insane amount of points you need to get reputation titles. Have a look what it takes to grind the weapons and prestige armors needed. Go battle the hard mode dungeons and the realm of Torment.

If you knew what it takes to get those 500 APs, then you’d understand those players earned it. And to compare the effort to gain the 500 AP from HoM to what it takes to get 500 in this game… it’s a joke.

I got the Drunkard title before you could spam it. That was true grinding. =)

Exactly! I got the explorer title before there was textmod or players sharing maps to compare. We had to kill every single creature in every single map in the original game and all the expansions in hard mode. We had to do every mission and every bonus within those missions in both standard and hard mode. If the whiners think it is so easy, then let them pay the $40.00 for all 4 games and get the titles themselves.

I got my dungeon titles after the shadow form nerf, HAH!

But seriously, the drunk title took some dedication before they changed it. /bow Now tell me you did it without disabling post-processing effects and I’ll be really impressed!

Naturally. =) I always found it fun to have a wavy screen while running UW on my Necro with a fellow 55 Monk. XD

I also got my Drunkard and Ale Hound titles while doing full Underworld runs with a blurry screen… on my Monk healer. My party would get mad at me when Dhuum nearly wipes us.

Hahaha I miss that fight. It had that feel of true epicness with great reward!

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

I see jealousy towards GW1 players.
GW1 players deserve everything they get regardless.
OP problem is probably that he`s not a veteran in the Guild Wars Universe.
Welcome to Guild Wars …..We were here first.

With the way all this temp content is effecting achievement points scores, we may very well have the new tagline for the game…

I spent more time earning those 500 points than the rest of my currently 7000+ achievement points so far. And if you overly competitive types are laughing at my mere top 10% achievement point figures, then what difference do those extra 500 points make? Considering how many GW1 players have gone back to playing GW1, I doubt there are too many gunning for the top of the list. So everyone chill out about it.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Why are you people complaining that it’s unfair? Anet is rewarding players from Guild Wars 1 that worked incredibly hard to earn their achievements. And those achievements from HoM are really, really difficult to get. I applaud anyone who had the patience and the persistence to actually get all 50/50 points. Jealousy of those 500 points is no reason to go pointing fingers saying “Why do they get 500 points and we don’t?” They earned them, fair and square. You didn’t do anything to earn any points, so again, it’s fair.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

So let’s recap, those who started GW2 earlier then other will always have a higher AP score because of one time events, dailies, monthlies, etc. At least in theory, so long as they keep playing.

Does anyone disagree with the above statement of fact? No? Good.

So, if we consider that, then AP earned from the HoM is simply awarding people who started even earlier regardless of the fact that the points were ‘earned’ in another game.

Honestly, if you’re that concerned about being top scorer on the leaderboards, just shell out the $20 and 1000+ hours of life to get a full HoM, and you can stop complaining about it.

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

-Puts on his sunglasses.-

Deal with it.

Really I played guildwars one, put about a thousand hours in it, got my GAWMM as a ranger, and sat at my screen for 10,000 minutes to get drunkard.(167 hours) Oh no I got more points for getting my 30/30 and 50/50. Its not like I didn’t put work into it at all, oh god no.

You want the points, go back and get them. Should they take away the titles as well since you refuse to get them?

-Edited for spelling mistakes

(edited by Khandarus.2738)

Posted by: Divus.3175

Divus.3175

I feel that this little change made many people realise, how awful “gw1 vets” are. All these posts about, how much stuff you should get, because you played different game… it’s just stupid.

I’m sick of your attitude, so called “gw1 vets”. From whole thread it looks like you’re a better race, because you played another game before. [sic!]

As for leaderboards: no one should change the rules of a match in the middle of it. If you’re doing such things, you should either make it more viable method of measurment, how much I invested in this game, or delete it. There’s no leaderboard that makes sense now. PvP? You still get matched with random ranked players. WvW? Same thing. AP? I can’t compete with people, who had played gw1.

But if leaderboards stay unchanged… What’s next? Maybe ANet should start giving 100 AP fo every 1000 gems, bought with real money? “gw1 vets” should say it’s a good idea, because everyone, who supports ANet, should get more and more rewards for doing it.

[KING] Desolation – Pikan Parom (engineer), Grace Parom (ele)

Posted by: BuD.7851

BuD.7851

You can continue to get points on your Guild Wars account indefinitely. Please see the FAQ, as linked above, for more info.

Quoted from this post below:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Guild-Wars-1-HoM-question/first#post2403175

Everybody can still get their 500 points. Dont really see what the big deal is. Servers are still up, 7 heroes can do just about everything there is to do. Bonus weekends have been changed to bonus week. Thats right! The entire week to grind away with the bonuses.

And not only that, they have doubled the bonuses from what they were in the old days.

Go get them points like everyone else did…in a much shorter time than we did.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

BuD— I didn’t know they changed it to a week. and double them as well. That’s crazy easy for the to get now, yet still complaining. talk about a sense of entitlement.

for another poster. not a better race, just been in the race longer. hence the additional EARNED points.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I feel that this little change made many people realise, how awful “gw1 vets” are. All these posts about, how much stuff you should get, because you played different game… it’s just stupid.

I’m sick of your attitude, so called “gw1 vets”. From whole thread it looks like you’re a better race, because you played another game before. [sic!]

As for leaderboards: no one should change the rules of a match in the middle of it. If you’re doing such things, you should either make it more viable method of measurment, how much I invested in this game, or delete it. There’s no leaderboard that makes sense now. PvP? You still get matched with random ranked players. WvW? Same thing. AP? I can’t compete with people, who had played gw1.

But if leaderboards stay unchanged… What’s next? Maybe ANet should start giving 100 AP fo every 1000 gems, bought with real money? “gw1 vets” should say it’s a good idea, because everyone, who supports ANet, should get more and more rewards for doing it.

I don’t think you should paint “us Guild Wars 1 vets” with the same brush. Some of us have said we don’t think the points should count toward the leaderboard.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There are a few of us 50/50 players that wouldn’t mind even MORE bonus points. Just throwing that out there in case Anet decides to give us extra bonuses for maxing our HoMs.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

I don’t understand the OP problem. 500 AP are irrelevant for a new player starting today, compared to 10 months of missed dailies/montlies.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I don’t understand the OP problem. 500 AP are irrelevant for a new player starting today, compared to 10 months of missed dailies/montlies.

I think the OP wants all new players to be on the same level as current players too. So that means all of us need to have our stats reset each time a new player joins the game.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Wabbajack.8520

Wabbajack.8520

Sure, getting 50/50 HoM required a lot of hard work. But the thing you must understand is that those in the top 100 or so on the leaderboard have also put in a lot of hard work and dedication towards their AP rank. Most of them were doing this long before the leaderboards came out but the leaderboard added an extra level of friendly competition; friendly yes as many of us frequently offer each other help and are in regualr contact with each other.

The addition of up to 500 addition points for certain players have had a large effect on the rankings and have left many feeling as though all their hard work the past couple of months in maintaning their ranking has been for nothing, I can completely understand this. If they had known Anet would throw a huge curve ball into the rankings a few months after it’s introduction I don’t think many of them would have even bothered the first place.

Many had question the integrity of the leaderboards in the past and this latest debacle has only made things even worse; in all seriousness they should just do away with the leaderboard entirely now as it is clearly shows little relevance to how much players have achieved in GW2. People have even started purchasing old GW1 accounts merely to gain ranks which imo just highlights how valueless these leaderboards have become; it should not be pay to win.

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Now imagine someone tells the “50/50” bunch that ANet is increasing the amount of points required to keep the GWAMM title to 75 points (totally doable since there is a healthy dose of additional points to get after reaching GWAMM). How would you feel about that 50/50 folks? Would you protest?

Posted by: Evgeni.7401

Evgeni.7401

When the leader board came out I was 90sh in EU, after 3 months hard work went to 30
and now what to see from 30 to 80 ty a net I was playing this game only for this and now what some noobs (sry guys but havent seen god walking among mere mortals that doesnt sux as hell) are in front of me. If I buy acc with 500 points I will be in top 15. What have u done in this game to deserve that? Nothing!!! This is gw2! How is posible if u collect all legendaries to get only 30points or to get to 50 rank in pvp and to get the same score as some farmers that most likely have bought the game in the black market. Emperor achievment gives u only around 200 and and what some noobs with credit card will get 500 for nothing. Next time Anet if u want to go under the leader from EA just put them in the trading post..

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

Now look what you have done to me! My wife just left me because she read the Thread an now knows that i can’t get to to top of the AP-Leaderboard. My kids won’t talk to me ever again, they say im a i’m a looser. My life is seems totally worthless now, i think i will end it right here…

Sylv.5324

It’s not about being better.

It’s that ANet does not consider the games to be separate the way you do. We were given these points because we invested heavily in the game that GW2 was supposed to be, but had to be moved to a different engine because of limitations.

You may not like the fact that we spent all that time on a franchise that you did not bother to get involved in, but that is not our fault. ANet wanted to make sure its loyal and dedicated longtime fanbase did not get shafted when ANet unexpectedly stopped developing GW1 in favor of GW2, and they always intended for 2 to in some way compensate us for what we were forced to leave behind.

I’m glad that ANet continues to honor that, even if people like you feel threatened by us. Their intent was pretty much to lift us out of GW1 and drop us into GW2 as painlessly as possible.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

Now imagine someone tells the “50/50” bunch that ANet is increasing the amount of points required to keep the GWAMM title to 75 points (totally doable since there is a healthy dose of additional points to get after reaching GWAMM). How would you feel about that 50/50 folks? Would you protest?

I wouldn’t care about the GAWMM title because you get that one by having it in the first game. 30 titles maxed out.

I think the one you are looking for is Champion of the Gods for the full 50 points.
The HoM climb.

Honestly I really wouldn’t care one way or the other, just give me the excuse to load up guildwars one again and dump 200 hours into a game I already love :P

Posted by: Curuglas.1847

Curuglas.1847

not a better race, just been in the race longer. hence the additional EARNED points.

Sure, you raced a bicycle race and now want those points earned there in the current race, because we are riding motorcycles now and both races use 2 wheeled vehicles. Completely understandable.

Sylv.5324

If you want to use the above analogy, it’s as if the promoters started a race, had everyone build their cars, invest time and money and such, and then start the race, only to pause halfway and state that said race was cancelled due to logistics but the progress from the first race would be counted toward the new one. (And you could bring your stuff along).

Which is what happened, except it was a game. But we still put in years of time and money before ANet realised that their engine was too limited to keep going— but that that should not penalise the players who had stuck with them and helped them build their rep (and therefore be able to secure the funding for a revamp).

The thing is, they’ve left it so newcomers can do the same thing we did, except easier because now folks can use heroes for everything.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Jono M.8519

Jono M.8519

Its clear that they don’t view it as a competitive leaderboard, just a “here’s our most dedicated players” list, so I don’t see the problem in just handing out 500 points for a 50/50 hall.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Its clear that they don’t view it as a competitive leaderboard, just a “here’s our most dedicated players” list, so I don’t see the problem in just handing out 500 points for a 50/50 hall.

This. As a competitive leaderboard it is severely lacking i many other areas anyway, so there’s no sense in treating it like one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

Pretty sure they can just filter the results guys. Probably time to chill out.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I love the lengths that people will go to in order to rationalize these points, even going so far as to insist that GW2 is somehow the same game due to the limitations of the first. Here’s a fact.

GW2 is a separate game. You paid a separate fee. It came on a separate disc and/or download. The title itself is different – this is not a GW1 expansion, it is an entirely new game. Indisputable. Unarguable. Guild Wars 1 is not Guild Wars 2. A is not B. Deeds done in Guild Wars 1 were not achieved in Guild Wars 2. Hell even the Hall of Monuments guy says this, for those of you who want to see a contradiction of their arguments using lore as an excuse.

You want a real analogy with the bicycle race? People performed some race that nobody else cares about several years ago and because of it are being given a head start in a totally different one at present day. Or to be more accurate, the new race was started, and participants of the first race were given an exclusive short cut past a part of the course. These people will defend to the death their god-given right to have that lead, rationalizing in any way possible to remove the cognitive dissonance that arises when someone dares suggest that their points aren’t pure to a game that they didn’t come from.

This all says to me that achievement points, outside of the rewards they offer, are now entirely arbitrary in value and so worthless to even compare. They could have changed the point value to anything and people would have defended it. Why 50 each? Why not 500? Or 5k? No matter how absurd it seems, there will always be some lunatic there to champion their advantage out of pure bias.

I’m sure someone will respond to me with a long, self righteous post full of counterpoints seen repeatedly in this thread, but I can agree with LHound. It really comes down to greed. It always comes down to “moremoremore” these days, doesn’t it? More points. More gold. More skins. Apparently the unique titles and skins that were already offered as HoM rewards weren’t enough to please people. They were clearly unable to enjoy the game on its own merits and want more. That strikes me as somewhat sad.

(edited by Sil.4560)

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

What does it matter? It’s already not “competitive” with many achievement points. When daily / monthly give points, makes it unbalanced already.

But I do understand if people who actaully did all dailies every day, are a bit mad about this.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

Sylv.5324

It really comes down to greed. It always comes down to “moremoremore” these days, doesn’t it? More points. More gold. More skins. Apparently the unique titles and skins that were already offered as HoM rewards weren’t enough to please people. They were clearly unable to enjoy the game on its own merits and want more. That strikes me as somewhat sad.

You’re taking some lengths yourself.

We didn’t ask for more points on pain of hating the game. We got a pleasant surprise when we logged in, because ANet decided to give us more points. I was enjoying the game just fine.

Now, you and your buddies want to take that away, and are saying it’s because we demanded things. We didn’t demand this.

You guys, however, are demanding that this be changed. You guys are the ones raging and twisting ANet giving us a gift into us demanding that we get more points. We GOT more points and YOU are raging about it.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sil.4560

Players may not have demanded it, but they are defending it as if they did. It doesn’t invalidate what I’ve said either way.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It really comes down to greed. It always comes down to “moremoremore” these days, doesn’t it? More points. More gold. More skins. Apparently the unique titles and skins that were already offered as HoM rewards weren’t enough to please people. They were clearly unable to enjoy the game on its own merits and want more. That strikes me as somewhat sad.

You’re taking some lengths yourself.

We didn’t ask for more points on pain of hating the game. We got a pleasant surprise when we logged in, because ANet decided to give us more points. I was enjoying the game just fine.

Now, you and your buddies want to take that away, and are saying it’s because we demanded things. We didn’t demand this.

You guys, however, are demanding that this be changed. You guys are the ones raging and twisting ANet giving us a gift into us demanding that we get more points. We GOT more points and YOU are raging about it.

You took the words directly out of my mouth. I definitely didn’t expect to get achievement points by doing HoM, but it was a nice surprise. You know, it doesn’t strike you as sad that you’re just now complaining about the achievement points GW1 players get?
Child: Why does Johnny get more money than me?!
Parent: He did way, way more work than you did and deserves more for it.
Child: That’s not fair! I mowed the yard and Johnny worked in the garden! They’re completely different tasks!
Parent: They may be different, but Johnny put way more effort and time into his task, so it’s fair.

This is exactly what you sound like when you complain about the achievement points that GW1 players get. You sound like a child. If you missed my point entirely, feel free to go back and read my short story again, because I quite like it.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I love the lengths that people will go to in order to rationalize these points, even going so far as to insist that GW2 is somehow the same game due to the limitations of the first. Here’s a fact.

GW2 is a separate game. You paid a separate fee. It came on a separate disc and/or download. The title itself is different – this is not a GW1 expansion, it is an entirely new game. Indisputable. Unarguable. Guild Wars 1 is not Guild Wars 2. A is not B. Deeds done in Guild Wars 1 were not achieved in Guild Wars 2. Hell even the Hall of Monuments guy says this, for those of you who want to see a contradiction of their arguments using lore as an excuse.

You want a real analogy with the bicycle race? People performed some race that nobody else cares about several years ago and because of it are being given a head start in a totally different one at present day. Or to be more accurate, the new race was started, and participants of the first race were given an exclusive short cut past a part of the course. These people will defend to the death their god-given right to have that lead, rationalizing in any way possible to remove the cognitive dissonance that arises when someone dares suggest that their points aren’t pure to a game that they didn’t come from.

This all says to me that achievement points, outside of the rewards they offer, are now entirely arbitrary in value and so worthless to even compare. They could have changed the point value to anything and people would have defended it. Why 50 each? Why not 500? Or 5k? No matter how absurd it seems, there will always be some lunatic there to champion their advantage out of pure bias.

I’m sure someone will respond to me with a long, self righteous post full of counterpoints seen repeatedly in this thread, but I can agree with LHound. It really comes down to greed. It always comes down to “moremoremore” these days, doesn’t it? More points. More gold. More skins. Apparently the unique titles and skins that were already offered as HoM rewards weren’t enough to please people. They were clearly unable to enjoy the game on its own merits and want more. That strikes me as somewhat sad.

Did you play GW1?

Also you are aware that GW2 is indeed a continuation of the first game? The hall of monuments was built so that your ancestors in GW1 would leave you something in GW2. You personally may want to see it differently, but the reality is, the GW1 players deserve the upper hand here as not only did they pay monetarily, the lore dictates it also.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

“GW2 is a separate game. You paid a separate fee. It came on a separate disc and/or download. The title itself is different.”

This is actually true for each guild wars 1 campaign :p

Anyway, I think devs did this because they wanted gw1 players to be able to take something with them. They originally planned an expansion, decided to make a new game instead because of limitations. Rather than being like, guess what everything you did now disappears, they let them earn something out of it, that was one of the big points they pushed while selling eye of the north.

Is it “fair”? Maybe not, but why does it matter so much? It isn’t competitive, and anet wanted to reward loyalty. Is it fair if an employee gets a raise or benefit for being with the company longer?

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I’m torn on this issue.

As someone who has 50/50, I know the time and dedication needed to achieve that score is anything but insubstantial. I would argue thakittens more time consuming and crazed than anything currently present in GW2. There definitely needs to be a reward.

On the other hand, I have that extra mile: God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals. As my main is Canthan, I hardly use the GW2 title but actually obtaining it earned me an incredible sense of pride and satisfaction. I don’t feel I need to be rewarded further.

Besides, why are the new rewards Achievement Points? Oh, don’t mistake me, I like that I’ve suddenly jumped to 7600 but why not add more skins to the HoM? Or even tokens for already-existing limited time weapons like Fused, Scel and Jade? Why AP? I’m not sure…

Sil.4560

Going to have a quote tree since it’s the most organized way to respond, I’m afraid.

This is exactly what you sound like when you complain about the achievement points that GW1 players get. You sound like a child. If you missed my point entirely, feel free to go back and read my short story again, because I quite like it.

Your story (and the attempted condescending insult contained therein by choosing to equate myself and a number of others with whining children) would hold water if the deeds in question here weren’t performed in two different games. You want to see the rewards of your labor for doing things in GW1? Play that game.

If it is your aim to assault my character further, I’ve no interest in discussing with you.

Did you play GW1?

It’s not really relevant whether I did or not.

Also you are aware that GW2 is indeed a continuation of the first game? The hall of monuments was built so that your ancestors in GW1 would leave you something in GW2.

Guild Wars 2 is a sequel and an entirely different gaming product than Guild Wars 1, sorry.

You personally may want to see it differently, but the reality is, the GW1 players deserve the upper hand here as not only did they pay monetarily, the lore dictates it also.

The “lore”, as I’ve pointed out in a previous post, clearly explains that your character in GW2 is in no way connected to the deeds done in the previous game and as such this is a highly desperate stretch of an argument at best. It’s a different timeline. In Morrowind I was the Nerevarine; do I get the “upper hand” as the Champion of Cyrodiil, and then again as the Dovahkiin?

As far as paying monetarily, I’m willing to bet that there are a number of players who have directly paid more in the gem store than some of those who got their points in GW1. As far as rewarding customer loyalty from the dollar, they’re certainly looking in an odd direction!

As far as I’m concerned, that is something that grinds me. When players of a previous game insist, through a string of bizarre rationale, that they deserve an innate advantage over others for something like this. It comes across as incredibly entitled and a bit arrogant.

(edited by Sil.4560)

Sil.4560

This is actually true for each guild wars 1 campaign :p

Starcraft expansions are much the same, but are also marketed as such. Sequels are quite clear, I think. Players don’t get to bring their character along for the ride in GW2. I actually find it kind of funny that people choose to use lore as a defense, considering any connection between the player character and their original in GW1 is imaginary at best or extant in the form of a reserved name (which serves only to identify and would be yet another perk GW1 players received).

Anyway, I think devs did this because they wanted gw1 players to be able to take something with them. They originally planned an expansion, decided to make a new game instead because of limitations. Rather than being like, guess what everything you did now disappears, they let them earn something out of it, that was one of the big points they pushed while selling eye of the north.

I suppose the array of exclusive titles and skins weren’t already enough? It really doesn’t matter if everything the players did disappears – that’s what happens when you start playing a new game. I’ve learned to deal with it over the years playing Elder Scrolls. :p

Is it “fair”? Maybe not, but why does it matter so much? It isn’t competitive, and anet wanted to reward loyalty. Is it fair if an employee gets a raise or benefit for being with the company longer?

If they didn’t want to present it that way, they should probably not have such things as ranked leaderboards and rewards for the very thing they are presenting these players with on top of that which they already had. That’s what people are taking issue with, I think you’ll find. It’s never been my aim to be #1 on the leaderboards but I can certainly relate to those who watch their status drop quite a bit due to the sudden rise in points for this.

I’m torn on this issue.

As someone who has 50/50, I know the time and dedication needed to achieve that score is anything but insubstantial. I would argue thakittens more time consuming and crazed than anything currently present in GW2. There definitely needs to be a reward.

On the other hand, I have that extra mile: God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals. As my main is Canthan, I hardly use the GW2 title but actually obtaining it earned me an incredible sense of pride and satisfaction. I don’t feel I need to be rewarded further.

Besides, why are the new rewards Achievement Points? Oh, don’t mistake me, I like that I’ve suddenly jumped to 7600 but why not add more skins to the HoM? Or even tokens for already-existing limited time weapons like Fused, Scel and Jade? Why AP? I’m not sure…

This is kind of how I was thinking with regards to how they approached the issue. Instead of simply expanding on skins that were present in GW1 or something, they handed out a sizable chunk (in your case something like 7%) of AP, which places them in direct competition with players who didn’t get it, via the leaderboards. Very odd choice, but then Anet seems to have a history of making decisions like this.

(edited by Sil.4560)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You want a real analogy with the bicycle race? People performed some race that nobody else cares about several years ago and because of it are being given a head start in a totally different one at present day.

This analogy fails at the most basic points. This is not a race.

Or to be more accurate, the new race was started, and participants of the first race were given an exclusive short cut past a part of the course.

By that analogy (even if it’s completely flawed), those that prepurchased that game got a head start as well, by being able to play earlier than everyone else. And everyone else also didn’t start at the same time. And some people were able to pay directly for some speed boosts (gems to gold conversion), or used some shortcuts that were closed after them (cultural weapon exploit, living story points). And this is not a straight race, but a maze with many paths, and some of them (ironically, the only really competitive ones – PvP and WvW) are much slower than others. For completely arbitrary reasons. And nobody counts your time. And there’s no goal. And the AP’s are glass beads that some people find lying in different parts of the maze. And some people pocket them and go looking for more,because they are so shiny. And they want to get them all, but they never will, because new beads are constantly being thrown into the maze from above. And there’s no judge or rules.

This all says to me that achievement points, outside of the rewards they offer, are now entirely arbitrary in value and so worthless to even compare.

Took you over half a year to realize that? I could see this on the first day of this game. They were always arbitrary and worthless to compare, because the worth of each point is different

Without ability to see the exact makeup of someone’s AP value, any comparison has always been worthless. Glad you realized that now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

GW1 wiki: "The Hall of Monuments was introduced in Eye of the North to facilitate players transferring their accomplishments to Guild Wars 2 from their original Guild Wars account. "

We wouldn’t bother with HoM if it wasn’t for GW2. It was NOT something we would normally do in the game, as we now get AP by just playing. It was a massive endless grind of things you wouldn’t dare to even imagine!

Fact is, that GW1 players worked their kitten off hard for their achievements and status in GW2 through HoM even before all the rest people learn the news of GW2 release! GW1 players have been working on achievements for GW2 since 2010! For us those games are connected! Accept it already!

(edited by Laivine.9308)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It’s a different timeline.

Now who is stretching it? A different timeline? Sorry, not even close by any stretch of the imagination. GW2 is the same world and time line as GW1. The lore holds to this. The devs have said this. It’s a fact that your whining about is not going to change.

No one asked for the points, no one was making even a notice of them until the players who did not get them decided to act like spoiled brats.

You know what, we got the points! we got 500 points more then you! you do not have them and there is nothing you can do about it except spend real world money, buy GW1 and play through it. You can complain and rant all you want, but those are the facts and they are not going to change because you have had your feelings hurt. The mods really need to lock this thread now as it serves no useful purpose, what’s done is done.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Having been promised by Anet that we would be rewarded in GW2 for doing the achievements in GW1 they are pretty much stuck with it. And I must say for once actually following through on their word. I worked my butt of just getting my 45/50 points so I am proud of them. And if you want the rewards you can always go back and get them at the moment they are still available. Gw1 is awesome. I even have some stuff to sell you to make it easier there. We were loyal and worked hard. The chests will come along to you the more you play.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

Blah, blah, blah.

The points are intended. Stop it already.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

You want a real analogy with the bicycle race? People performed some race that nobody else cares about several years ago and because of it are being given a head start in a totally different one at present day.

INC angry mob….

So, what you’re saying is GW1 is totally irrelevant to the development of GW2? Also, according to you, nobody else cares about GW1, past and present.

I guess that explains why Kamadan is full of players who particularly despise GW2

If you ask me, those who got 50/50 didn’t get what they should be rewarded. I mean a title [Champion of the Gods], that most people will probably ignore and complain that it’s blocking their screen.
Mind you, I do not have 50/50. Maximizing HoM is probably one of the most dedicated grinds in a game requiring almost a years worth (more or less) of pure dedication. Next to asian~esque gear grinds, even my 40/50 was incredibly grindy

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

(edited by LumAnth.5124)

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Before HoM my rank was in the high 60s. Now it’s 118 and still dropping. Kitten my life.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Did you play GW1?

It’s not really relevant whether I did or not.

Of course it is, just the fact you dodged the question proves how important it is. I am going to go with ‘no’, as no sane GW1 player would argue against rewards.

Also you are aware that GW2 is indeed a continuation of the first game? The hall of monuments was built so that your ancestors in GW1 would leave you something in GW2.

Guild Wars 2 is a sequel and an entirely different gaming product than Guild Wars 1, sorry.

The “lore”, as I’ve pointed out in a previous post, clearly explains that your character in GW2 is in no way connected to the deeds done in the previous game and as such this is a highly desperate stretch of an argument at best. It’s a different timeline.

Please, give a link to this lore you speak of. Last time I checked, your GW2 character is a direct descendant of your GW1 character…thus the HoM. It is the same timeline, if you bothered paying attention to the game you are playing you would see that.

How else do you think we get stories such as the Zephyrites running around with pieces of Glint? According to you, Glint is in a different timeline and thus has no relevance to GW2.

Right.

Just accept that GW2 is a natural extension of GW1. Same map, same world, same lore.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I personally don’t care about leaderboards, but then GW1 players already got skins and pets and titles all over the place, and now they’re ahead of us with this new skin progression introduced in the last patch, and the fact that’s most funny is all this talk about “games are linked through lore and world”. It does not matter. Perhaps they’re not profiting enough and now are trying to force people to buy their other game.

IMHO it’s not fair, but if that’s how they want to treat people who bought their game, feel free to do so…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Sil.4560

GW1 wiki: "The Hall of Monuments was introduced in Eye of the North to facilitate players transferring their accomplishments to Guild Wars 2 from their original Guild Wars account. "

We wouldn’t bother with HoM if it wasn’t for GW2. It was NOT something we would normally do in the game, as we now get AP by just playing. It was a massive endless grind of things you wouldn’t dare to even imagine!

Boo hoo. I played Phantasy Star Online for well over 15k hours. I dare imagine.

Fact is, that GW1 players worked their kitten off hard for their achievements and status in GW2 through HoM even before all the rest people learn the news of GW2 release! GW1 players have been working on achievements for GW2 since 2010! For us those games are connected! Accept it already!

Good for you for doing things in GW1? This is GW2. You already had rewards, now you’re defending yourself getting more. I wonder where it stops. Maybe next time you’ll get a free legendary. I bet you’ll defend that too, lol

Now who is stretching it? A different timeline? Sorry, not even close by any stretch of the imagination. GW2 is the same world and time line as GW1. The lore holds to this. The devs have said this. It’s a fact that your whining about is not going to change.

Aaand you’ve fallen back on the “whining” argument. Nice fail there. Sounds like someone is getting frustrated.

It is the same world, yes. But it’s set how many years in the future. Perhaps “timeline” was a bad choice of terminology. “Time frame” might have been more apt. Your characters are presumably long dead. Sorry about that. Well, not really. But if anything you should have gotten your rewards back on your GW1 account. Instead you desperately cling to this GW2 reward system. Perhaps you just need every advantage you can get because you aren’t dedicated enough to do it all in this game?

No one asked for the points, no one was making even a notice of them until the players who did not get them decided to act like spoiled brats.

Mmm, right alongside the self righteous users defending their points to the death, amusingly defiant in the face of the idea that anyone would dare suggest that they be measured by their achievements in GW2, not for two games combined. You care so little; you’re so far above this and yet here you are, prattling on and on at me as if you’re going to change my mind with your privileged attitude.

You know what, we got the points! we got 500 points more then you! you do not have them and there is nothing you can do about it except spend real world money, buy GW1 and play through it. You can complain and rant all you want, but those are the facts and they are not going to change because you have had your feelings hurt. The mods really need to lock this thread now as it serves no useful purpose, what’s done is done.

I know it’s scary that people have opinions opposing yours, but a mod locking a thread won’t make them go away. If you think that taunting me like a child is going to accomplish anything in that direction, you’re sorely mistaken. I’m happy with my three legendaries, multiple max geared characters, and extensive and enjoyable play experience, and spit in the face of your 500 points. Try harder.

INC angry mob….

Ha, I already predicted it and they’re here.

So, what you’re saying is GW1 is totally irrelevant to the development of GW2? Also, according to you, nobody else cares about GW1, past and present.

I guess that explains why Kamadan is full of players who particularly despise GW2

If you ask me, those who got 50/50 didn’t get what they should be rewarded. I mean a title [Champion of the Gods], that most people will probably ignore and complain that it’s blocking their screen.
Mind you, I do not have 50/50. Maximizing HoM is probably one of the most dedicated grinds in a game requiring almost a years worth (more or less) of pure dedication. Next to asian~esque gear grinds, even my 40/50 was incredibly grindy

Sounds like just more of the same rationalization in the face of the dissonance produced by the idea that you may not deserve rewards for a different game. Been there, heard that. If you care so much about GW1…go play it? Presumably if you enjoy it so much, you don’t need to wait around to be rewarded for it in GW2. Rewards upon rewards upon rewards…my god you people are greedy.

(edited by Sil.4560)