Arenanet totally forgot GW1 fans?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

I dare to say more than 50% of the GW2 playerbase came from GW1. Or at least 40%. Sometimes i even see random dungeon teams with 5/5 GW1 titles. They make up most of the real core and loyal base.

Still, they don’t continue anything we loved in GW1, however we were promised to have “all we loved in GW1” – manifesto, anyone?

Yet it feels odd. If the community is asking for a GW1 feature, they do the opposite. Do Arenanet devs feel like GW1 isn’t their product, because most of the devs are new to the company?

For example, build teamplates. or GvG. PvP as a whole, is the opposite of GW1’s PvP – lack of variety, no rewards no resources.( Or Cantha! >_> )

Or the birthday gifts… EVERYONE was expecting a nice minipet pack. Instead, we got a Jennah, some booster (which was bugged and totally destroyed the non-existing Pvp economy) and an useless scroll. However… surely a coincidence but the gemstore happened to have a new minipet pack at the 1st anniversary. Feels like they were aiming for Gw1 people to buy their own gifts for money.

Don’t forget the landscape – can you tell me any kind of place that was presented in GW1 and is not in ruins? Most players loved Ascalon – now we have to kill their ghosts, if they are already dead, or blow up the remnants of their kingdom. Just.. no.

Any thoughts?

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

(edited by Gandarel.5091)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Kryta is not in ruins and looks relatively like the old Kryta but more developed.

And try not to talk for all the Guild Wars 1 players, some of us love what they’ve done…even if it’s just adding a trading post to a game that previously didn’t have one.

There are plenty of little tidbits for Guild Wars 1 players in the game. I spoke to Anton’s ghost as one example. Stuff like this is scattered throughout the game.

I do agree the game is a very different animal than Guild Wars 1, but I ask you to remember that the Guild Wars 1 community like the Guild Wars 2 community was a fractured community. Not everyone felt the same way about stuff.

So stop trying to paint us all with one brush.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think no one really knows what percentage of the playerbase played GW1 with any regularity, and no one knows whether they…or others…are the most loyal to GW2. I know many of the Devs worked on both games, but I know many are new, as well, as the company has grown in the last 5-6 years.

Personally, I am not interested in PvP, GvG or Cantha. I wasn’t hoping for a mini-pet for the birthday gift of any kind. New game, so hopefully, new gift. But a gift is better than no gift.

After one year of the same pets for purchase, it does not seem illogical to release a new set for purchase. I imagine we will see the same thread a year from now about what a conspiracy it is that a new set of mini-pets is released.

Oh, and remember, some of those sporting GW1 titles only purchased the game so they could earn items to use in GW2. Are they loyal to GW1 or GW2? Or both? Does it matter? How about just being loyal to ArenaNet that has enabled us to enjoy one or the other, or even both? =)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

They changed a lot of things, some were good and some were horrid. Like banks were fixed, but stacks are still 250 max. Also, the minipet fiasco was a big disappointment this year (I mean, the mini isn’t even intresting or has any cool animations, it’s just Queen Jenna walking around).
They killed off the costume system they had in GW1 HOWEVER I have heard they’ll be making a wardrobe system for stuff like Tequatl wings and Slickpakcs just as they have for Zenith and Hellfire/Radiant skins. I’m happy they carried the music over if nothing else.

There’s a lot ANet kinda just ditched from GW1, and many good things too, which really sucks |:

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

As Mike Z said at the EUROGAMER Expo last week when I quizzed him about the Maifesto
“We had to make changes, but nothing is ‘Off the table’”

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I must have missed part of your OP, or something was added. =)

I couldn’t wait to get out of Ascalon after the searing. Have you forgotten what that place looked like? It seemed to take forever to get to Yak’s Bend on a first character. To me, GW2’s Ascalon looks a heck of a lot nicer than the old Ascalon. Now, Pre-Searing Ascalon was nice, but a bit of a time-travel trip, and really only a tutorial area. Now, I know people stay there, but I sure didn’t on my first few characters.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Anet hates GW1 players because they expect GW1 quality updates

they would be happy if all the GW1 players quit forever and stopped complaining

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I never cared about Tyria lore, but unfortunately that was the only thing they kept in the game from the original GW.

Kinda funny how they keep ignoring/ignored old players even though they basically funded GW2.

Start a Kickstarter advertising game X, when you get funds, make game Y.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Funny…half the time GW2 is/was funded by the players, and half the time it is only funded by NCSoft, as they control everything.

Soooo confusing.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

You had to know the "everything you love about guild wars 1 " line was campaign promise . I mean who honestly expected that to be true ? I doubt anyone , its just used as an excuse .

As for places not in ruins well lets be honest here most of Ascalon looks better than post searing Ascalon ( bar the whole Charr thing they need a genocide ) which is painful for me to say but true . Yaks Bend and Granite Citadel are still in tact as is a fair amount of Kryta and the Sylvari seem to be doing a good job with the Maguma

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I played GW1 for years. I played it when there was no hints that there would be a GW2. I remember taking the first steps into post-searing. I remember the first time I saw Shing Jea and met Mhenlo. I remember falling in love with the pseudo-African plains of Elona.

When GW2 first launched, a few of my friends and I wandered around the countryside and found some things such as Olafstead and Longeye’s Ledge from EOTN. We’re still looking for Sifhalla.

GW1 was one of the best there ever was, but it was not without it’s problems. There was no Trader, there was no LFG for years. It was bot infested, although it was fun sometimes to sit on a hill in Bergen Hot Springs and watch hundreds of almost-naked monks run to the merchant, and run out the door, only to reappear in 30 seconds and repeat their route.

I remember when they added henchmen, and the actual grouping with other real people almost stopped. The only time you got a group together was if you were doing a UW speed clear or something similar. Once you hit the level cap (20) you only had PvP (as in GvG) or a few “dungeons” to run.

Yes, I enjoyed GW1 for years. But as with all games, after birthday number 7, it was getting old… very old.

ANet didn’t forget me. Yes, there are a few things I would have liked to see transfer over, but in general, I am enjoying the hell out of GW2.

I didn’t blow through all the content in the first few weeks. I only have 2 lvl 80 characters, I am only maxed in 3 crafts, and I have yet to surpass 70% on world exploration. I play a bit every day, but I don’t have to have that shiney, or the BiS gear RIGHT NOW.

So, the answer, OP, is that no, I don’t think ANet forgot me. I do understand why others feel left out, but at the risk of sounding clichéd, GW2 is a completely different game. It is not GW1. Some people will say good, others will bemoan that it’s not. I can’t speak for anyone else. I am only speaking for myself when I say that GW2 is the best game online FOR ME right now.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I’m a GW1 fan, and you don’t speak for me.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Maybe the problem is that GW2 actually didn’t take anything at all from GW1 except some names both games share? It’s entirely different game, and the slogan “everything you loved about GW1” looks here… inappropriate i guess. But it was good marketing for them, to attract old GW1 fans. More appropriate slogan would be: “We made GW1 and you loved it, now we’re doing GW2, so you might love it as well”, i guess.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Gan Gan! Look! I’ve found the “everything you loved about Gw1”!
Finally… now we can rest in peace xD

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Vayne.8563

Maybe the problem is that GW2 actually didn’t take anything at all from GW1 except some names both games share? It’s entirely different game, and the slogan “everything you loved about GW1” looks here… inappropriate i guess. But it was good marketing for them, to attract old GW1 fans. More appropriate slogan would be: “We made GW1 and you loved it, now we’re doing GW2, so you might love it as well”, i guess.

It’s not a slogan. It’s a single line from a “manifesto” which is nothing more than a statement of intent. Not a promise.

Not to mention that very simple fact that it’s impossible. Logically impossible. Anyone critiquely examining the line would KNOW that not everyone who played Guild Wars 1 liked the same stuff.

Supposed someone liked that you couldn’t jump. Supposed someone liked that there was no marketplace. Obviously they couldn’t take everything everyone liked because this game would be Guild Wars 1.

I think people need to stop with the hyperbole. It wasn’t a promise and it wasn’t a slogan.

It was a throwaway marketing line that was superceded by enough information for everyone to make an intelligent choice.

The valid complaints are about the change of direction regarding vertical progression and the amount of grind required for ascended weapons.

Quoting a three year old video, however, weakens any legitimate argument and does nothing to further any cause.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

I cannot believe I’m saying this, and I’m sure Vayne would smile at this comment but,

It’s time to move on from the GW1 days. They were great and I remember them fondly. (Frolicking through the Ascalonian daisys before the searing.. anyways), times have changed, and so has Tyria. Keep the spirit true and be thankful you took part in a niche community.

Cheers

Erick Alastor.3917

I’ll try to post it again and if this lead (again) to the thread cancellation: my apologies.

From Eurogamer Expo 2013
Q: How close are you to the manifesto you posted before the game’s release?
A: Still hold core values but had to make some adjustments during development. Sometimes we have to stray away from what we have said in the past.

Let’s see what was declared with the manifesto:

Points they are still close to:

• The look of Guild Wars 2 is stylized. We’re going for a painterly, illustrated aesthetic.
  • Cause and effect: A single decision made by a player cascades out in a chain of events.

Points from which they have decided to stray away:
- Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world.

• B2P sustaining itself mainly through the release of new campaigns. No.
  • GvG? No.
  • Guild halls. No.
  • Guild capes. No.
  • UW? FoW? Alliance battle? No.
  • Focus on Horizontal progression? No.
  • Secondary profession? No.
  • Region free servers? No.
  • Alliance system? No.
  • Skills capturing? No.
  • Heroes? No.
  • Low and persisting level cap? No.
  • Hard Mode? No.
  • Costumes? No.
  • Dances differentiated by profession and gender. No.
  • Lore. Are you serious?
  • Etc etc. No. xD

- A game that defies existing conventions: (old school Mmorpg vs. Guild Wars 2)

• Vertical Progression. -> Vertical Progression (but slower)
  • Farming. -> Farming.
  • Quest system. -> Renamed: Hearts, Dailies, Living Story.
  • Raid. -> (World Bosses?) ~ Work in progress ~
  • Trinity. DPS/Tank/Healer -> Redefined: Warrior-Guardian-Mesmer

- We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.

• Open PvE: Join the zerg spam 1, dodge if required (if not, you will roam alone in an almost dead world)
  • Interact with “put some random object name” in the world for hundreds of times.
  • Kill “put some random mob name” in the world for hundreds of times.

- As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everybody around you is doing the same thing you are doing.

• Run in circle (Frostgorge/Queensdale/…) to kill Champions doing the same things others are doing and in the same order at the same time.
  • You make all the hard work during the personal story, a salad take the credits.

- We respect you—as a player, as a human being.

• So they decided to totally ignore our feedback on forum and close every thread that disagree with their decisions, without giving us any response.
“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Well, i guess some people will continue to pick on those “throwaway marketing lines” because GW2 is literally nothing like GW1.

Vayne.8563

I cannot believe I’m saying this, and I’m sure Vayne would smile at this comment but,

It’s time to move on from the GW1 days. They were great and I remember them fondly. (Frolicking through the Ascalonian daisys before the searing.. anyways), times have changed, and so has Tyria. Keep the spirit true and be thankful you took part in a niche community.

Cheers

You know…I have a lot of fond memories of Guild Wars 1 and I still go in there and bang around sometimes. It was a fun time. It had a lot of good stuff about it. It also had a lot of bad stuff about it.

My biggest issue with the pathing that didn’t let me really explore. It just felt too linear for my personal taste. I didn’t feel like I had the freedom to go anywhere…not till everything was unlocked and it was all done.

Guild Wars 2 feels more like a world to me. There are cities, actual real cities. Places where people live. After hearing about Lion’s Arch for a long time, I was massively disappointed when I got there (possibly because I’d been to Stormwind first).

Honestly, Guild Wars 1 was a great game for its time. I don’t try to malign the game…but it really is time to move on. And the more niche a game is, the more of a “cult” following a game has, the harder it will be to let go of it.

I played Guild Wars 1 for five full years, on the PvE side. I did everything there was to do in that game. Got my GWAMM and my 50/50 in the HoM…but you know…a game can be good and not be Guild Wars 1 as well.

Sort of what I’ve been trying to say all along.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

That is probably because there is no-one from the orininal gw1 team left? All I see when they present themselves is a bunch of juniors trying hard to be different from mmo’s and well failing at it.

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I wanted to play an open world version of gw1.

This game does not fit that description. It kinda kittens on everything that made gw1 fun.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

This game does not fit that description. It kinda kittens on everything that made gw1 fun.

I totally agree, but now that Guild Wars 2 has been around over a year, it’s quite clear this will never be true. It was a a tough breakup with Guild Wars 1, but now that I’m over it, I am just glad to have been apart of it.

But!, The lore. The lore.. lore.. lore.
There are many unanswered mysterious that I wish to see expanded upon. The one thing I’m not currently happy with, is the current movement of the lore in the Living Story. The answer has been for months now, “Everything will be tied together, and will make sense in the future”. This story is sparactic and dragging too long imo. It makes it hard for players to follow along or leave and come back.

All respects to the efforts from the Lore/Writing team, but please re-think the story and provide some deep, interesting lore.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Sequels are always bad

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Erick Alastor.3917

I totally agree, but now that Guild Wars 2 has been around over a year, it’s quite clear this will never be true. It was a a tough breakup with Guild Wars 1, but now that I’m over it, I am just glad to have been apart of it.

But!, The lore. The lore.. lore.. lore.
There are many unanswered mysterious that I wish to see expanded upon. The one thing I’m not currently happy with, is the current movement of the lore in the Living Story. The answer has been for months now, “Everything will be tied together, and will make sense in the future”. This story is sparactic and dragging too long imo. It makes it hard for players to follow along or leave and come back.

All respects to the efforts from the Lore/Writing team, but please re-think the story and provide some deep, interesting lore.

Imo the Scarlet story has a potentially interesting lore, but you have to read it on the official site :S

- Mike Obrien

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I took the “everything we loved from GW1” with a very large grain of salt. Why? Because it’s completely subjective. Who is “we” in that statement? You? Me? The anet devs?

I’m leaning more towards the devs, and admittedly there are GW1 things in GW2. However, everything I loved necessarily isn’t in the game. For example, I love[d] playing with 7 heroes when we finally got that option. I could give a rat’s kitten less about dealing with pugs. Yet on the flip side, I know people that absolutely hated heroes, and preferring to pug pretty much everything. Additionally there are things I don’t like, but others did, which made it in. Get my point?

Things like build templates, armor templates, hell even Cantha, were not there at the launch of GW1. Remember it took years for a lot of things to make it into the game. You’re not comparing apples to applies if you are comparing the complete line of GW1 to GW2. GW2 is in it’s “Prophecies” stage, give it time to grow. It’s a new platform, new technologies. What they figured out how to do may not be doable in the same way with the new code. This is an issue with programming (anyone ever tried upgrading a VB6 project to a VB.net project for example? Its a freaking nightmare), so we need to give them time and have patience. GW2 will evolve over time, but it’s not 9 years old. It’s still just a baby, just like GW1 once was.

Birthday gifts, ok that was simply poorly planned on their part. However, we don’t know how much more influence NCSoft has in GW2 vs GW1. It’s obvious that NCSoft has more control over the store in this game than in the last. They hired a freaking monatizer before launch for crying out loud. I am hoping next year they handle it a little better.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I haven’t played Guild Wars 1, but a lot of the ideas sound pretty cool. Guild vs Guild in particular.

Lonesamurai.4852

I’ll try to post it again and if this lead (again) to the thread cancellation: my apologies.

From Eurogamer Expo 2013
A: Still hold core values but had to make some adjustments during development. Sometimes we have to stray away from what we have said in the past.

He genuinely looked uncomfortable when I asked him that at the Dev Chat

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I played GW1 for 5 years. I enjoyed the game, but was honestly ready to move on.
Although, I was surprised at first that GW2 was SO different from its predecessor, it took me a little while to adapt.

In regards to the manifesto, this was to be expected. I’m sure they wanted to do all the things in the manifesto, but were unable to do because of the players or systems, or they just felt it wouldn’t work. shrug who knows?
There were things that were in Beta that were not in at launch, remember the dye seed having to be planted and grown for 24 hours?
A lot of things changed even in the last 6 months.
I expect this game to evolve over the years.
Will the game ever be “perfect”? probably not, but still, I am actually enjoying GW2 very much and can see myself playing it for another 5 years.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I am a GW1 vet from start and still play it. You just have to think of GW2 as a completely unrelated game that just happens to share the same name. You will be much happier if you do.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I played Guild Wars 1 for five full years, on the PvE side. I did everything there was to do in that game. Got my GWAMM and my 50/50 in the HoM…but you know…a game can be good and not be Guild Wars 1 as well.

Usually I am on your side all the way Vayne, and I even get your point above. That being said, I think there is a lot of the lore aspect of GW1 that many GW1 players are missing. I know I am.

As much as I love GW2, I was really hoping that all the great stories and world changing things we did in GW1 would have a huge and lasting impact on GW2. The evidence of those impacts would be glaring. We would have more to do with things we had to deal with in GW1.

Many creatures have disappeared with no explanation. Many say extinction, yet that is pure speculation.

I just wish I could see more of GW1 evident in GW2. I really don’t care about the manifesto, but the things that really sucked me into the beautiful world in GW1 just seems to be missing in the game built upon its legacy.

Don’t get me wrong, I love GW2 the game, but I just would like to see more of the things I loved in GW1 incorporated into GW2 other than ruins of places I frequented.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

“Or they birthday gifts… EVERYONE was expecting a nice minipet pack. Instead, we got a Jennah, some booster (which was bugged and totally destroyed the non-existing Pvp economy) and an useless scroll. "

Not me, I read what they posted on the site that we would get and expected that.

Now I wish I could sell off the extra Jennnnaaawwww minis or forge them for something worthwhile, but I wasn’t expecting a pack.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Lonesamurai.4852

“Or they birthday gifts… EVERYONE was expecting a nice minipet pack. Instead, we got a Jennah, some booster (which was bugged and totally destroyed the non-existing Pvp economy) and an useless scroll. "

Not me, I read what they posted on the site that we would get and expected that.

Now I wish I could sell off the extra Jennnnaaawwww minis or forge them for something worthwhile, but I wasn’t expecting a pack.

It’s not a case of “Expecting”, more like “Hoping” after 7/8 years of GW1 b’day mini sets

Vayne.8563

Usually I am on your side all the way Vayne, and I even get your point above. That being said, I think there is a lot of the lore aspect of GW1 that many GW1 players are missing. I know I am.

As much as I love GW2, I was really hoping that all the great stories and world changing things we did in GW1 would have a huge and lasting impact on GW2. The evidence of those impacts would be glaring. We would have more to do with things we had to deal with in GW1.

Many creatures have disappeared with no explanation. Many say extinction, yet that is pure speculation.

I just wish I could see more of GW1 evident in GW2. I really don’t care about the manifesto, but the things that really sucked me into the beautiful world in GW1 just seems to be missing in the game built upon its legacy.

Don’t get me wrong, I love GW2 the game, but I just would like to see more of the things I loved in GW1 incorporated into GW2 other than ruins of places I frequented.

I don’t disagree with this…but there is lore. It’s just not as much in game as I’d like it. Like I read the third Guild Wars 2 novel, Sea of Sorrows, and it was a good read. Probably my favorite of the three novels. And then there’s the tie in scavenger hunt (which if you don’t go to Dulfy is a fun way to spend some time).

There are plenty of little tidbits in the game, but I understand why the game also had to, to some degree, reinvent itself.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I thought we established that Guild Wars playstyle and fans were irrelevant in Guild Wars 2 back in November 2012…

Vayne.8563

I thought we established that Guild Wars playstyle and fans were irrelevant in Guild Wars 2 back in November 2012…

Actually we established Guild Wars 1 players who share your play style don’t seem to be happy. I, however, play this game much the same way I played Guild Wars 1 and I can’t do that with almost any other MMO.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I love gw1 but they better not add heros/henchmen. Killed all grouping in gw1

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Vayne.8563

And this is the problem of "everything you love about Guild Wars 1. Here’s a Guild Wars 1 player who doesn’t want heroes and henchmen, yet we’ve seen people on this forum who loved having access to heroes and henchmen and have asked for them to be brought into the game.

There isn’t just one type of Guild Wars 1 fan..there are many and they don’t all necessarily want the same things.

Lonesamurai.4852

And this is the problem of "everything you love about Guild Wars 1. Here’s a Guild Wars 1 player who doesn’t want heroes and henchmen, yet we’ve seen people on this forum who loved having access to heroes and henchmen and have asked for them to be brought into the game.

There isn’t just one type of Guild Wars 1 fan..there are many and they don’t all necessarily want the same things.

However GW2 has no need for them anyway as, what, 95% of the content is soloable?
GW1 wasn’t soloable unless you played a boring 55Monk or similar

Vayne.8563

However GW2 has no need for them anyway as, what, 95% of the content is soloable?
GW1 wasn’t soloable unless you played a boring 55Monk or similar

Actually that’s not really the reason you don’t need them. In Guild Wars 1, you had zero chance of finding another player in the open world. If you didn’t invite people with you, you were screwed. There are times here when I’m sort of in trouble and a random passerby ends up helping me finish something I might not have been able to do on my own.

In an open world, heroes aren’t necessary. In an instanced game, you’d be alone if you didn’t enter with a group from an outpost.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Sequels are always bad

Kudos for that. A lot of games with sequels stray from the original game and make it rather boring.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

You had to know the "everything you love about guild wars 1 " line was campaign promise . I mean who honestly expected that to be true ? I doubt anyone , its just used as an excuse .

I believed it 100%, you know why, because ANet was a respectable gaming company during GW1 and we had their backs as loyal customers. There is a reason GW2 was so hyped, they had that backing and confidence in them and no one doubted that the legendary arena net was going to make an epic guild wars sequel.

That is until they betrayed pretty much every GW1 vet and ignore every one of their plea’s. Like above poster said, they wish we would just roll over and die and stop complaining because it’s all about money now not the players. Oh and not only did they betray us, but everyone else when they said NO GRIND (lol) and all this crap but everything changes when you get money in hand apparently.

$$$ is evil, but I’d much prefer to spend more if they would listen to their players.

Sequels are always bad

Kudos for that. A lot of games with sequels stray from the original game and make it rather boring.

Seriously why don’t devs get this? Are sequels that stray too much from the original EVER successful? Does it EVER not kitten off the fan base?

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Vayne.8563

I believed it 100%, you know why, because ANet was a respectable gaming company during GW1 and we had their backs as loyal customers. There is a reason GW2 was so hyped, they had that backing and confidence in them and no one doubted that the legendary arena net was going to make an epic guild wars sequel.

That is until they betrayed pretty much every GW1 vet and ignore every one of their plea’s. Like above poster said, they wish we would just roll over and die and stop complaining because it’s all about money now not the players. Oh and not only did they betray us, but everyone else when they said NO GRIND (lol) and all this crap but everything changes when you get money in hand apparently.

$$$ is evil, but I’d much prefer to spend more if they would listen to their players.

Betrayed “pretty much every GW1 vet”…there are some Guild Wars vets in this thread alone that don’t feel betrayed. There are Guild Wars 1 vets in my Guild who don’t feel betrayed.

Why not stop trying to sound like you have some kind of vast majority. It doesn’t add to your point. You feel betrayed. Some people feel betrayed. Almost all Guild Wars 1 vets? That’s a bit of a stretch.

Mathias.9657

Aaaaaand there’s my #1 fan.

Vayne.8563

That’s me!

Mathias.9657

That’s me!

I lol’d

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Players need to stop clinging to the manifesto. It should be clear by now that while their intent might have been to follow it; concessions have been made and some of it is no longer valid.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Actually we established Guild Wars 1 players who share your play style don’t seem to be happy. I, however, play this game much the same way I played Guild Wars 1 and I can’t do that with almost any other MMO.

Clearly you represent all of us, then. I stand corrected.

What was it you said, last week, about my posts?

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

I do not speak for everyone, and this is just my opinion.

I was an avid GW1 player. I had taken a break from the game. When GW2 was announced, I was super excited but also had reservations. I mean, how could this game I loved so much be improved? Needless to say, I’ve been playing GW2 daily since the release.

A few weeks ago, I decided to play GW1 again. I didn’t enjoy it at all. I played for about an hour, then deleted it from my computer.

I love GW2 and all the improvements that were made. Yes it is a very different game from GW1, but I don’t see that as a bad thing.

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

From Eurogamer Expo 2013

Let’s see what was declared with the manifesto:

Points they are still close to:

• The look of Guild Wars 2 is stylized. We’re going for a painterly, illustrated aesthetic.
  • Cause and effect: A single decision made by a player cascades out in a chain of events.

Points from which they have decided to stray away:
- Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world.

• B2P sustaining itself mainly through the release of new campaigns. No.
  • GvG? No.
  • Guild halls. No.
  • Guild capes. No.
  • UW? FoW? Alliance battle? No.
  • Focus on Horizontal progression? No.
  • Secondary profession? No.
  • Region free servers? No.
  • Alliance system? No.
  • Skills capturing? No.
  • Heroes? No.
  • Low and persisting level cap? No.
  • Hard Mode? No.
  • Costumes? No.
  • Dances differentiated by profession and gender. No.
  • Lore. Are you serious?
  • Etc etc. No. xD

- A game that defies existing conventions: (old school Mmorpg vs. Guild Wars 2)

• Vertical Progression. -> Vertical Progression (but slower)
  • Farming. -> Farming.
  • Quest system. -> Renamed: Hearts, Dailies, Living Story.
  • Raid. -> (World Bosses?) ~ Work in progress ~
  • Trinity. DPS/Tank/Healer -> Redefined: Warrior-Guardian-Mesmer

- We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that. No one finds it fun. We want to change the way that people view combat.

• Open PvE: Join the zerg spam 1, dodge if required (if not, you will roam alone in an almost dead world)
  • Interact with “put some random object name” in the world for hundreds of times.
  • Kill “put some random mob name” in the world for hundreds of times.

- As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like a hero. Everybody around you is doing the same thing you are doing.

• Run in circle (Frostgorge/Queensdale/…) to kill Champions doing the same things others are doing and in the same order at the same time.
  • You make all the hard work during the personal story, a salad take the credits.

- We respect you—as a player, as a human being.

• So they decided to totally ignore our feedback on forum and close every thread that disagree with their decisions, without giving us any response.

I had a postgasm.Infinite loops of +1.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I wouldn’t use words like “betrayed”, but at this point it’s pretty clear GW2 is straying further and further from GW1. They could’ve let us swap stats on Ascended gear, introduced templates, etc. We’re getting boring vertical progression, instead.

Things like build templates, armor templates, hell even Cantha, were not there at the launch of GW1. Remember it took years for a lot of things to make it into the game. You’re not comparing apples to applies if you are comparing the complete line of GW1 to GW2. GW2 is in it’s “Prophecies” stage, give it time to grow.

It’s not. Factions released a year after Prophecies, so we’re at the Factions stage, except with no expansion in sight.