Armor Request: Battlemage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soulfulsynergy.9583

Soulfulsynergy.9583

So, I am not a huge fan of the light armors, as a whole. Like the trope of medium armors being largely trench coat-y, I want a little more than dresses, bikini’s, and lingerie (I am over exaggerating a bit here). While most of it I do like, I have one character based off a concept in my head, and she is a battlemage. Much like the mage-hawk’s armor in DA2, she proudly sported a breast plate and pauldron over her sword-arm.

Guild Wars 2 is lacking a good battle mage ARMOR (some outfits are nice, but I REALLY want my Chronomancer’s shoulder pieces to show, because they are awesome, also, I don’t want a full suit of armor, i want something light, that still offers some vital protection to neck/heart/ribcage). Just a simple, elegant, not-skimpy breast plate, and a sensible, equally elegant pauldron.

Since our eles, mesmers, and necros all enjoy the melee love with daggers and/or swords, it would make immersive sense for some battlemage armor.

I will attach a simple drawing later once I make it of my idea (beware, I am re-discovering how to draw, don’t expect much from me!)

So I guess this thread is being made to see the thoughts that players and devs have on the idea of a battlemage-like armor.

TL:DR- our light armor classes enjoy being close up and personal sometimes, wouldn’t it be nice to have a few armors (not just outfits) that offer legitimate, lightweight protection to vitals?

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I have the Sorrow’s Embrace light armor for the battle mage theme and Ascalonian Catacombs light for a fencer theme but yes it would nice to have a few more options.

With thieves now using staffs it is good to see some battle staffs coming through. I always figured if you’re a mage and you use a long stick to channel magic you might as well put something pointy or heavy on the end as well.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

I’m all for light armors that are not dresses.
unfortuantelly outfits won’t do it for me, i’m not saying i don’t like them, but i would prefer to mix and match for a personal style.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I went with this look for the first year and a half the game was out, and still have most of it sitting in my inventory, really should just get rid of it, but I’m attached. It’s basically meant to look like robes with armor over it.

You can swap out the legs for ascalonian pants if you don’t want a robe look. There is unfortunately skirt-like attachments on female AC pants, but they honestly look more like the fringes of a long coat or shirt if you combine them with the right upper body piece. You can also do similarly battle-mage-y stuff with the Glorious armor from PvP and a few other random pieces here and there. But more such pieces would definitely be appreciated.

Attachments:

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

I went with this look for the first year and a half the game was out, and still have most of it sitting in my inventory, really should just get rid of it, but I’m attached. It’s basically meant to look like robes with armor over it.

You can swap out the legs for ascalonian pants if you don’t want a robe look. There is unfortunately coat tails on the female AC pants, but at least its not a skirt. You can also do similarly battle-mage-y stuff with the Glorious armor from PvP and a few other random pieces here and there. But more such pieces would definitely be appreciated.

That looks great, gj man.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

how about class request instead? heh

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

the lawless items on the gemstore make for pretty great heavy armour on light.
other than that some of the dungeon sets look pretty metal.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

For a chest piece, Forgeman and Flame Legion definitely look armored, and Acolyte or Illustrious could also fit the bill with the right dyes. Diviner and Leystone also work, if a person wants armor that still shows a certain amount of skin. Seer might work, with the right dyes, although it might be a little difficult to match other pieces with.

You sound like you already have shoulders picked out, but for gloves you have some vambrace-style options, including Fogreman, Armor of Koda, Seer, Bladed, and Leystone. If you want some heavier gauntlets, look at Drybones, Hellfire, Radiant, Flame Legion, and Fused Gauntlets.

You’re probably most limited on pants, if you don’t want a dress/robe-style outfit. Ascalonian Performer might be your best bet, or maybe Illustrious, especially if you choose the Illustrious chest piece as well. Embroidered comes very close to being pants, but they don’t really fit an armored look. Vigil pants might work, depending on how much skin is okay and how “mobile” the character concept is.

Male armor has more in this area, but even then, light armors just don’t have a ton of pure pants.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Here are some designs I’ve used at one point or another. There’s a light one, a dark one and a “I don’t even know”-one.

Attachments:

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |