Bored of Hairstyles.

Bored of Hairstyles.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I see mentions of fruits and nuts. This is a new category of material that I’ve been pondering and haven’t quite settled with it. While the visual idea is lovely, I’ve always pictured the sylvari to be the fruits of the Pale Tree. For fruits to have fruits of their own… not sure that works just yet. It may be a matter of weighing anatomy righteousness against the fashion notion that most people won’t care and just want the cool factor. Hehehe, oh you guys! One day you’re in, the next day you’re out, eh?

If it helps, some of the armors seem to incorporate fruit: the little gourd things on one of the medium sets, along with the berries on the gloves of t3. So maybe it would be less of a structure that they’re born with, and more a way of mimicking things they find pretty in other plants.

I’d love to see long, grasslike hair.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I still really just wanna see more “stylish” and “long” options. The ones from the sketches are pretty awesome, and would be pretty epic to have. And seeing pictures of the original sylvari design kind of makes me sad, I really love the way they looked LOL. I like how they literally looked like children or young teenagers and had some somewhat more relate-able appearances. I know it’s extremely wishful thinking but I hope one day we get sub-culture options for characters, and maybe the 2nd pale tree’s Sylvari take the original design. I love my very planty looking person but I think I’d really like the option of the other design as well lol.

A relatively off topic question though…What about the other races like humans & charr, do we post suggestions here since this thread is very active with the developer or should we make another post in those respective forums? I haven’t seen the same activity in the other threads about this type of thing in their forums so I was just curious

(edited by Shanna.4762)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Reincarnatie.7254

Reincarnatie.7254

All the designs people have their merits and their impossibilities—all very creative and all gorgeous in their own rights. I am very glad the unisex-nature and diversity of this species/race has been advanced with the flower bud hairstyle (which I love), and with more diverse textures and styles being promoted with the fern hairstyle.

However, even with the recent addition of the three hairstyles, I can help but wait for more hairstyles. I have FIVE sylvari characters; call me “crazy”. I’ve played humans, norn, etcetera, but none have spoken to me like the sylvari have. Only recently have I deleted one of them because I didn’t like how they were all so similar (you’d think they were SIBLINGS or something, gosh ({/sarcasm} lol)) and I am weighing whether to send another forgotten Mists ‘cause her hairstyle just doesn’t fit the mage-armours stylistically.

I really am hoping more hairstyles come out. More fantastically magical ones, longer and with more extravagant silhouettes and shapes. That AND more sylvari friendly armours—I mean: put a pair of boots on and magically grow norn feet.

As an aside, I really do love the sylvari concept and would hate if they became more humanoid than they already are. The plant concept is something that should progressed, not regressed (even though I did pick the more conventionally “pretty, plain, and minimalistic” faces—for all of them). I’d also think that the Pale Tree’s siblings’ children would look even less human (with Malyck looking as he did, with shrek-ear mushrooms growing off his forehead) and as they should, since they’d be even further from their influence (however this mechanic of physiology is being played).

Keep up the great work (and awesome attitude), Ms. Kristen Perry!

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

I’d really like a branchy one like the oaken armor helm. Obviously different than it, but it would be nice to have a very branchy ’do. Maybe add some leaves in their or vines to the branches? Or even flowerbuds/flowers?

The current Sylvari looks are awesome. Just more and more would be even better!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Kirkkis.8270

Kirkkis.8270

I’d really like a branchy one like the oaken armor helm. Obviously different than it, but it would be nice to have a very branchy ’do. Maybe add some leaves in their or vines to the branches? Or even flowerbuds/flowers?

I don’t understand, you mean something like this one below? We have branches already and they have leaves on them so I’m wondering how much more can you make out of them.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Lorelei.7809

I don’t understand, you mean something like this one below? We have branches already and they have leaves on them so I’m wondering how much more can you make out of them.

like that but fuller and longer.. as I said, more like the oaken helm.
http://gw2.unfair.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Sylvari-Female-Cultural-Tier-3-Heavy-Oaken.jpg

To differentiate it, perhaps, add vines and/or flowers and/or leaves. And obviously, have the branches twisted in a different manner.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: ApplePearOrange.9281

ApplePearOrange.9281

One thing that could be done to give variety without having a million different hairstyles is to split hairstyles into two fields, hair and ornaments.

Hair obviously being hair.
Ornaments would be branches, mushrooms and other plant bits you can stick on your head.

That way branches + a pre-existing hairstyle can be done without having a branch/no branch variation for every hairstyle.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: star.5296

star.5296

Thanks for the shout out Vgomes! Awesome designs!
Read the other page and saw this …

I see a lot of folks mentioning what they’d like to see on sylvari, but that’s a different question than what they’d personally like for their own character.

So instead of doing a spread sheet of styles I would likely never use but think are awesome I decided to pick out the ones I WOULD use for my 2 Sylvari and I would have to really think about for abit before deciding to pick one …

So here they are!

Holy shoot I just realized that second looks so close to Scarlets hair O_@

YOU INDIRECTLY INFLUENCED THIS MAYBE idk… Idk when she was actually introduced visually in the game

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

I really (really) like the flower hairdo for my female sylvari A LOT. Although I wish it had an extra leaf for bangs or something to make it more perfect. I’m not really a fan of swept back styles – makes the top of the head look flat and odd from certain angles.

And I know I’m probably nitpicking, but the veining for the petals on said hairdo don’t look as defined in daylight?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

I agree. I enjoy them more on the creature or plant side of things, though of course I understand that they’re meant to be humanoid too. I think that’s one of the things that’s great about them. I just very much don’t want them to turn in to elves with some leaves stuck in their hair. MOAR PLANTY/FLOWERY/FRUITY!

As an aside, I really do love the sylvari concept and would hate if they became more humanoid than they already are. The plant concept is something that should progressed, not regressed (even though I did pick the more conventionally “pretty, plain, and minimalistic” faces—for all of them). I’d also think that the Pale Tree’s siblings’ children would look even less human (with Malyck looking as he did, with shrek-ear mushrooms growing off his forehead) and as they should, since they’d be even further from their influence (however this mechanic of physiology is being played).

Keep up the great work (and awesome attitude), Ms. Kristen Perry!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Spudfuzz.6185

Spudfuzz.6185

So I don’t know if Kristen Perry is still monitoring this thread but here goes my late input. I just started a floral design course last week and I was already thinking of random hairstyles for sylvari, then I saw this thread and got super super excited. To address something mentioned earlier first:

As far as conventional beauty standards and ‘uniqueness’ go for faces + hair, I think customization should be about giving people the option to make what they want with what they /like/. By all means though, keep them looking like trees and plants. I’ve just always been one for balance and I’d even use both typically pretty and abstract faces myself.

If I had a say in hairstyles, I’d personally like to see some kind of thick bodied curls. I know curls are usually shafted in games because it’s seemingly labour and processing intensive, but I like to think there’s a way to make it work with textures and layers. I’m not an expert though haha. In any case, I’d really like something like this:

(The ferns if kept could remain green for neutrality and the flower, pink pearl grevillea, could possibly be a dye-able accessory.)

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That’s really lovely! I’d be concerned about clipping at the bottom, including into the sylvari’s body — I can deal with armor clipping but flesh clipping gets bothersome.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Spudfuzz.6185

Spudfuzz.6185

Yeah I had thought of that too, in the picture it was very much designed around her face. I think it can be done just by raising it off the body? It’d look like it’s floating a bit on the side but from the front it’d look like it’s resting on the skin. I think it’s the same principal for long hair at the back. :S

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

I wish we had more long hairstyles like that.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I know pre-launch there was a lot of excitement about the possibility of branch antlers for sylvari. I would still love for something like that to get into the game.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Passion.4539

Passion.4539

I love what Spudfuzz.6185 did with his sketch and model i would love to see something like that in game so cute :>

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Oidmetala.8426

Oidmetala.8426

Spudfuzz hairstyle looks amazing.
i want this one for my sylvari

Team Erotic Solitude Legends [ESL]
Spirit Ranger Yilvina Darnus
Bunker Guardian Morwenna Darnus

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Love Spudfuzz concept art and I second wanting an hairstyle like it or inspired by it It would suit perfectly my sylvari mesmer main.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Samuli.7852

Samuli.7852

@Spudfuzz
My goodness. That hairstyle is gorgeous. Beautiful. Truly beautiful.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

@ Kristen, Since u seem to have a dialouge with u’r followers on this thread (the charr Thread is – very quiet), do u know if there will be any new racial features added sometime soon (like horns, tattoos etc…)? A simple “Yes” or “No” would be awsome!

Kima & Co

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

Hello Kristen!

I’ve noticed for faces, most requests are at the end of the spectrum… folks seem to want pretty or creature, not as much in between. Interesting. Out of curiosity, why not? The race was designed to live in the in between. Any thoughts? :}

I think it might be because the faces we have exist in a middle ground, and so when people think of what they’d like to see more of, it’s easier to conceptualize in one direction or another. Since we have kind of “in between” already, people are maybe branching out (har har) into ideas that reflect their preference to skew a little more one way or the other. I love the combination of beauty and alien traits in the sylvari, but I admittedly like the faces best that are creature with a touch of pretty, rather than pretty with a touch of creature. My favorite sylvari face is the male leaf face, which is beautiful, but also unsettling and distinctly inhuman.

I LOVE this face. I wish more faces were this same style where the →entire<- face is completely molded from leaves or other recognizable organic materials.
I must say though, the little antennae on the forehead kill it for me: they clip a lot.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

The fact that the antennae/stems/stamens clips through the helmets with that leaf face is actually what makes it even more great for me. I just think it’s cute to see those two little things popping out of most headgears, as if the character would poke holes in any helmet possible to let them out. :’p

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Mazzy.3176

Mazzy.3176

I would like some stuff based on the works of Brian Froud… quite a few of his faeries could pass for Sylvari come to think of it XD
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fe/25/5e/fe255e12a220016f4c47b2c2cb3e69eb.jpg

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

I was looking through some concept art and spotted a hair style that Looks awesome, but not in the game. It’s on the print that features the medium armor for Twilight Arbor. The Sylvari modeling the armor has a long ponytail of thorny vines and ivy. It idea is very pleasing for more long “hair” selections for characters that have a more darker look.

Just wanted to point that one out since I thought it was a cool concept.

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I was looking through some concept art and spotted a hair style that Looks awesome, but not in the game. It’s on the print that features the medium armor for Twilight Arbor. The Sylvari modeling the armor has a long ponytail of thorny vines and ivy. It idea is very pleasing for more long “hair” selections for characters that have a more darker look.

Just wanted to point that one out since I thought it was a cool concept.

Link, image or anything?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Pepsi.3176

Pepsi.3176

Major disclaimer: no promises, no schedule, etc… But if you were daydreaming about what you personally want for your sylvari, what would it be? :} What would its presence feel like? What style? What materials?

There are a few sylvari NPCs walking around that I love and I’ve always wanted their hairstyles (and their fashion but that’s another thread!). I also wish it were possible to use some of the fan created hairstyles that are in this thread because some of them are beautiful and I think would fit quite well with all the other hairstyles!

Scarlet’s cactus “pigtails” would also be grand!

I love succulent plants and I think anything based off their weird shapes would be awesome. Some of them can be downright alien looking and I think that’s a perfect aesthetic for sylvari.

sailortyria

Bored of Hairstyles.

Shiren.9532

Branchlers! Male sylvari got branchlers and it looks awesome! I was never really a fan of the original “non-plant” sylvari hair styles, but the new branchlers hairstyle one looks awesome. Thanks artists!

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Looks like there’s something reminiscent of a male version of Spudfuzz’s female hair concept. It looks pretty neat, but why no female version o.O /endcomplainingovernewcontent

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Bored of Hairstyles.

Shiren.9532

Did you check the female version? Sylvari seem to have fewer gender differences in their hair compared to other races, often they share hair styles.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

There is no female version even vaguely similar to Spudfuzz’s. That’s what I’m saying.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Ragnar.3916

Ragnar.3916

the 3. male hair would be perfect for female sylvari.
but don’t have to understand everything anet is doing.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

^Would be cool if that new male #3 could be used on female Sylvari. They already share several other hairstyles.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

This might sound nuts but I actually really like the color/shape of the Mordrem flowers (e.g. on the vine bridge or the ‘collar’ on the wolves)…petals like that would be about my ideal for my ranger! Any chance of a similarly tiger-lily-ish hair in future?

P.S. Another plea for removing/reducing how much green ends up in orange/yellow hair and skin. If I wanted my hair to be green, I’d pick green!

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Bored of Hairstyles.

Shiren.9532

the 3. male hair would be perfect for female sylvari.
but don’t have to understand everything anet is doing.

I’m not sure if you can look up the release orders of the new hair styles, but I’m pretty sure some of the gender neutral hair styles for sylvari (ones that were available for both males and females now) were added in different releases. So a hair style that was exclusive to males in the first pack was given to females as an option in the second pack (keep pointing out styles you like if you want a male or female one on your toon).

I really liked this pack. I ended up changing two of my sylvari to use the new hair styles. I always wanted tree branches as a hair style but didn’t like the options we had, branchlers is just too epic. The male one that looks like Spudfuzz’s I didn’t think much of but I really like it on my mesmer. They look pretty cool but also feel very sylvari. With how limited armour options can be when building a sylvari aesthetic, having some strong racial options that stands out makes playing this race so rewarding. I’m looking forward to the next release.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

I would like something like these.

Bird of Paradise Mohawk thing

Cactus bun maybe with a flower?

Lotus flower bud w/leaf bangs.

Attachments:

(edited by SnowHawk.3615)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Reincarnatie.7254

Reincarnatie.7254

Love the new hairstyles..! More!!

There’s a lovely designer in Singapore who derives her fashion inspiration from plants themselves—with flower petals and even lettuce leaves!

Her tumblr is below:
http://graceciao.tumblr.com/

Many of her dress designs are so pretty and I just had to slip in a plea for more sylvari racial armours. :D

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

Personally, I am most certainly delighted by the new male sylvari hairstyle, and it is around exactly what I had been waiting for in order to make a sylvari.

Now to constantly have to remark I am not a Nightmare Courtier roleplayer every time I pass by the Grove or Divinity’s Reach.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Wryn.7089

Wryn.7089

First of all: sorry for the quality of the picture; I’ve done it very quick in some free art programm. ;P

Anyway! Everytime I hear/read that there will be new hairstyles I’m like “yeah!”… only to find out that – despite how good the hairstyles are – they are not really “working” for me.
I like Scarlets pigtails… but I don’t like these bald spaces on some parts of my head. =/
Same goes for some other hairstyles.

I’m also a fan of ponytails and yes, I’am aware that there is one for sylvari characters (my necro is using it). But I am also a fan of bangs (hope this is the correct word; english is not my first language).
So I would like to see a ponytail with bangs. Something like on the picture.
That would be soooo great.

Attachments:

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: wrathes.8310

wrathes.8310

I believe I drew this a year ago and I’m still sayin’ sylvari could use some flower beard facial hair options. (left to right: rose updo, vine dreads, leafy fauxhawk, belldrop head, short cattail crop? + FLOWER BEARD!)

Attachments:

Ronwel – 80 Necromancer
Blackgate [OOPS]

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Those are awesome, wrathes.

… I still want tengu.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Inay.9865

Inay.9865

… Oh my. I want this Vine Dreads for my ranger so much. (With a beaaaard. Leafy beard. Like an old grumpy trapper.)
<3

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

Aweome ideas, wrathes ! I hope to see those in the game someday, they’re awesome ! Vine dreads are my favourite by far.
I really dig the faces too !

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

So I don’t know if Kristen Perry is still monitoring this thread but here goes my late input. I just started a floral design course last week and I was already thinking of random hairstyles for sylvari, then I saw this thread and got super super excited. To address something mentioned earlier first:

As far as conventional beauty standards and ‘uniqueness’ go for faces + hair, I think customization should be about giving people the option to make what they want with what they /like/. By all means though, keep them looking like trees and plants. I’ve just always been one for balance and I’d even use both typically pretty and abstract faces myself.

If I had a say in hairstyles, I’d personally like to see some kind of thick bodied curls. I know curls are usually shafted in games because it’s seemingly labour and processing intensive, but I like to think there’s a way to make it work with textures and layers. I’m not an expert though haha. In any case, I’d really like something like this:

(The ferns if kept could remain green for neutrality and the flower, pink pearl grevillea, could possibly be a dye-able accessory.)

omg, this is beautiful.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Raven Scorn.7591

Raven Scorn.7591

I also wish for longer hair styles for Sylvari as well as new faces. I don’t see why this can’t be granted for the sake of all players. We shouldn’t have to buy new hair styles and faces in the store, not everyone can do that.

“…Death is as blind as the eye can see…”

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Jozeiax.8465

Jozeiax.8465

i really really want a fringe for my sylvari with medium length bun like hair! (just below shoulder height)

btw the video growing the sylvari the grove looks AMAZING! so much better than it is now…
possibly the dragon will destroy the grove (or parts of) and it will miraciously grow back! with alot of the original designs in their and many many more designs!

one thing to add… please please please add more cultural and plant armour, 3 or 4 of my characters are sylvari and there isnt enough variation in natural armour!! gw2 does indeed lack variation in armour sets (compared to weapons) (and overall imo)

<3

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

+1 to the thread!

We really need new sylvari hairstyles. Most of the current female ones are just ugly.

Why there are no real long hair made of leaf? Or ponytail with more options (bands for example), etc etc?

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I got to disagree. It’s not that I wouldn’t like to get more different styles (the more options the better )but there are quite alot of the existing ones which I find incredibly beautifull.

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

See attachment, devs! The male one is what I wish for my female. For now, she has that spread long hair, but I’d like thin petals more tight to the face, not so spread. Simple and gorgeous!

TD;DR Moar long hairs!!!

Attachments:

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Bored of Hairstyles.

Lorelei.7809

I’d like a fancy bun type hairstyle. maybe with a tendril or two near the face. I think that would probably look great on a Mesmer. I’m not sure how that would be done… I’d like it leafy… Example though, the flower up-do was nice, it just seemed a bit “tight” with the face and I think it doesn’t look as good in simply green leaves and I’d like to keep my girl green :P

Bored of Hairstyles.

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Another update and no new hair. Come on, every race has options for LONG hair!

Even on female sylvari the only long hair option is a terrible dreadlock style ponytail…

Just look on this thread devs, some of the suggested styles are far better than what we have in-game at the moment.