Crafting backpacks level 78 and not 80?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tungsten Monarch.6058

Tungsten Monarch.6058

Why are crafting backpacks (Exquisite) level 78 and not 80?

This makes crafting backpacks almost pointless at level 80, because you cannot ad any exquisite level 80 options on them.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

People more interested in precise numbers than me have opined you can get better stats out of them than out of 80’s, depending on what you insert in the upgrade slot. As they are significantly cheaper to make than a lot of level 80 backs, it’s probably a balance issue.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Because its a material sink.

+ It will make you use a transmutation charge.

Tungsten Monarch.6058

Well they are not cheaper, their advantage is, they give you the back pack stats of an item you are seeking. So if you desire to complete a set of cleric’s including the backpack, then it’s possible to have a cleric’s backpack, or celestial for the cost of a) maxing out your profession to 400, b) roughly the same cost as purchasing any other exotic (orange) item from the Black Lion Trading in materials. Considering you can purchase a backpack with Karma this is not a balance issue, only an issue on getting the completed set of a gear set such as all cleric’s you are trying to reach.

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

A crafted backpack with the correct jewels will have higher stats than one without, and its generally much more simple to craft your own than to get an 80 exotic of whatever stat you’re looking for.

Fishsticks

Tungsten Monarch.6058

but they can’t use exquisite gems.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

if you put a lvl 65 rare embelished jewel in them, they’re about equal to what a lvl 84 exotic would be. they’re better than the lvl 80 exotic backpieces.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

They’re meant to be leveling gear. That’s why they go to 78. And, as Enko suggested above, if you put in a level 65 upgrade, the stats will be better than that of an upgraded level 80 exotic back item.

Tungsten Monarch.6058

Well that’s not actually true, I’ll use my Hunters Backpack as an example.
Default stats are 22 /16 /16 level 80 with an exquisite Ruby 25 / 15 / 15 = 47 / 31 /31
Crafted stats are 32 /18 /18 level 78 with an Ruby Crystal 14 / 11 / 11 = 46 / 29 / 29

now this might not seem like much, but the numbers don’t lie, these are crafted inferior items.

RoseofGilead.8907

Well that’s not actually true, I’ll use my Hunters Backpack as an example.
Default stats are 22 /16 /16 level 80 with an exquisite Ruby 25 / 15 / 15 = 47 / 31 /31
Crafted stats are 32 /18 /18 level 78 with an Ruby Crystal 14 / 11 / 11 = 46 / 29 / 29

now this might not seem like much, but the numbers don’t lie, these are crafted inferior items.

We’re not talking about crystals; those aren’t refined and crafted upgrades. Put an Embellished Brilliant Ruby Jewel in it.

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yep. Place an Embellished Brilliant Jewel in a Lv78 back item and you come out a couple of points ahead of a Lv80 exotic back item with an Exquisite Jewel in it. Plus, the Lv78 ones come with an Infusion slot and are account bound vs soul bound Lv80 exotic back items. Easier to get started adding infusions, agony resistance, or using later for a new character once you have upgraded.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Transmutation charge? The tailoring backpack is the best looking back in the game :O

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

It’s so you can use them at level 78.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Put in the proper upgrade and use your impeccable basic math skills again:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Embellished_Brilliant_Ruby_Jewel

Level 78 backpack + level 65 jewel = better stats than a level 80 exotic.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

…but is it better than that level 80 backpack with a level 80 Exquisite Jewel?

IIRC the only exotic 80 backpiece that doesn’t have an upgrade slot are the Prototype Fractal Capacitors and the original Sclerite Karka Shell (the one you can get from the laurel vendor does though). Any other exotic 80 backpiece you can find or purchase off the TP you can put an upgrade in, which would make it superior to the crafted backpiece, even if you’re just putting the same lvl 65 jewel in it.

What the craftable backpiece really has that separates it from your average level 80 backpiece is an infusion slot. That makes it something you can use to have a little extra agony resistance if you don’t have enough ascended items to negate agony for the fractal level you want to do otherwise.

RoseofGilead.8907

…but is it better than that level 80 backpack with a level 80 Exquisite Jewel?

Yes, it is.

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

Exotic Crafted Lvl 78 Backpack + Lvl 65 Embellished Brilliant Jewel:

32 // 18 // 18 + 21 // 13 // 13 = 53 // 31 // 31

Exotic Lvl 80 Backpack + Lvl 80 Exquisite Jewel:

22 // 16 // 16 + 25 // 15 // 15 = 47 // 31 // 31

As seen above, The lvl 78 Backpack with a Lvl 65 Rare Jewel has a whooping 6 extra Stat points over the Lvl 80 Spineguard with a Lvl 80 Exotic Jewel. The difference is really negliable.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

Elden Arnaas.4870

<edit, TheSwede ninja’d my post, with a better stats table – can’t get the numbers properly spaced>
Yes, with a level 80 jewel in the level 80 exotic. Why would anyone not use proper level upgrades in the comparison. Spelling it out completely:

Crafter’s Lv 78/65 —-—- Exotic Lv 80/80
item(78) + jewel(65) —-- item(80) + jewel(80)
32 + 21 = 53 —-———- 22 + 25 = 45
18 + 13 = 31 —-———- 16 + 15 = 31
18 + 13 = 31 —-———- 16 + 15 = 31
ttl 115 +4inf=119 —-———- ttl 107

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exquisite_Ruby_Jewel
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafter%27s_backpack
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elegant_Weaponsmith%27s_Backpack
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Advanced_Spinal_Blades

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Seems like they need to buff the level 80 backpacks, and or nerf the level 78 one.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Seems like they need to buff the level 80 backpacks, and or nerf the level 78 one. – The level 78 Crafter’s backpacks are leveling equipment. The proportionately high stats are intended.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leveling_equipment

Khristophoros.7194

Seems like they need to buff the level 80 backpacks, and or nerf the level 78 one.

Or people could just stop crying and use the one with the highest stats.

Dante.1763

Or people could just stop crying and use the one with the highest stats.

Im crying? That was crying to you? You are funny Im stating something that makes sense to me. A level 78 item should not be better than a level 80 one.

As for the leveling item bit, okay maybe, but is a level 78 leveling item needed? Honest question.

This isnt a problem for me anyways, as i make ascended back packs, sure it takes longer, and is way more costly, but i will never have to worry about not having a BIS stat item.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Khristophoros.7194

Im crying? That was crying to you? You are funny Im stating something that makes sense to me. A level 78 item should not be better than a level 80 one.

Think of it like an item in Diablo with the reduced level requirement mod.

Dante.1763

Never..played Diablo…But im going to assume that it lowers the level required to equip said item?

However that makes me wonder if in the future level 80 backpacks from here on out will have stats equal to those same level 78 ones.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

re: Seems like they need to buff the level 80 backpacks, and or nerf the level 78 one. – The level 78 Crafter’s backpacks are leveling equipment. The proportionately high stats are intended.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Leveling_equipment

Maybe, but IMO it seems a bit off when a not level cap item is statically better than a level cap item of the same rarity.

Khristophoros.7194

Never..played Diablo…But im going to assume that it lowers the level required to equip said item?

However that makes me wonder if in the future level 80 backpacks from here on out will have stats equal to those same level 78 ones.

Maybe they’ll buff the level 80 ones a tiny bit to make them equal. I don’t see how it matters all that much. The difference is a few stat points.

Elden Arnaas.4870

Oops, that should have been this link:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leveling_equipment
(The level/stat disparity is explained. And no, they won’t buff level 80 to compensate, it’s intended.)