Do you find the Tomes of Knowledge useful?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They’re great because the leveling experience is so bad.

Unfortunately, the really bad part of levelling experience is not the levelling itself, but traits. Tomes do not help much for this one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Nope, i am done with all my ALTs. All maxed 80.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well ToK can be used to level alts (just finished my 15th character, It has 0% world completion, and is lvl 400 leatherworker, It has no traits, no nothing). I can use tomes for additional skillpoints if wanted to but I just used 30 normal skill scrolls. Unfortunately traits cost some skillpoints nowadays, but I can just go and map now and discover everything and end up with a few hundred skillpoints eventually.

As I do NOT play PvP I seldom get tomes of Knowledge, I got the last set when the evacuation event from LA was playing.. They proved very handy this time..

remember you can always use them as skill scrolls, They just have added functionality (well up to 254000 xp tbh).

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

LOL>? There are people with too many tomes of knowledge? How do you get so many wtf. The most tomes I ever had at one point is 10 and I just used them on my current character… Pls make tomes of knowledge easier to get.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Is that another “nerf droprate of item x because i don’t need them but am to lazy to destroy or consume them” thread ?

I wished i had gotten more of them in the past, but the ones i got from the new daily
login rewards at least helped me to finally got my thief up to 80

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Is that another “nerf droprate of item x because i don’t need them but am to lazy to destroy or consume them” thread ?

No, more like “if you are giving rewards useful for a specific activity (making new alts), then please make that activity viable again, instead of discouraging people to do it”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: hellchamp.5412

hellchamp.5412

I use mine for skill points and to level alts and like the increase that I have gotten them.
No matter what any game does GW2 , WoW, or rift or any other there is always that handful of people that run to the forums to whine or complain about pretty much everything.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

I don’t use them but I love getting them for some reason. I don’t really enjoy leveling in the world (which is funny because I like map completing at 80). If I ever need a new character, or think of a cool name I want, I can use it and level it with little effort. I think I can get a dude up to 68 at the moment?

I don’t have a particular reason to collect them at the moment, but I’m glad I have them.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Same position as OP. Got all the alts (10) I want to lvl80, before tomes came out. So now the ToK just keep getting put in the stack in the bank (currently 170), waiting till we get either a new race or class. Those will be the only way they get used (or I wind up with two stacks). They’re (along with the lvl 20 scrolls) really pointless now, since they took out all want of creating a new character.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

If you all have too much ToK you could give them to me (sadly impossible). ToK is free gold. Make Key Run far more easier and skill point can be used to make gold in the mystic forge.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

At the moment I still have 3 more racial alts to level for their personal story, so I still have use for them, but they pile on fast since I also do some PvP. After I will finish with these, I dunno what to do, they will be glorified skill points.

This seems like a good ideea:

You can always use them to key farm.

Or this:

At minimum you get skill points out of them, with a little more effort you get all the level up rewards.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

I have 10 lvl 80 & 190 ToK; So no to me they are really not usefull.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I find the tomes awesome, I guess that can fit usefulness to it as well but that’s bit bland expression compared to awesome. One day when my twins have 60 of them I can get two more level 80 characters. At this time I’m thinking of ranger and engineer. All my (many!) characters are made before trait changes so they will be acceptable in the current game as they will be insta-leveled.
Third account will be bit behind since I used the tomes from LA to get one character to 80. When that one gets enough I’ll have yet another level 80 elementalist to go with the other three.

And then I can get yet more empyreal fragments to give to the star of gratitude which hopefully will gift me shiny stuff.

(I have several lowbie rangers since I had bunch of placeholder-ed slots and didn’t have any idea of what I wanted at the time other than a sylvari ranger. I made few of them and there’s now so many level 2 rangers, and engineers which was my placeholder class)

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I consider ToK’s some of the best rewards given by the daily chests.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I’m at work and can’t test right now so silly question: Does using a tome in WvW give an instant full heal the way that leveling up does?

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Its a free level and/or skill point, so yes I find them useful.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I’m hoarding them.

When they add Tengu, I’ll buy 6 characters slots, and get all 6 to level 80 instantly.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

aspirine.6852

I’m hoarding them.

When they add Tengu, I’ll buy 6 characters slots, and get all 6 to level 80 instantly.

I hope you will WvW against me so I can kill your silly chicken wannabee kitten .

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

They are nice to have for alts, especially now with the new leveling system. But I have enough to take 2 alts straight to 80 and I don’t need any more toons.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I always assumed that with so many tomes of knowledge saved up, I might as well use them on throwaway alts where I level them straight to 80, collect all the mats and rewards, finish the personal story segment for a black lion key, deposit rewards, delete, repeat until all gone.

You could also have level specific alts for opening champion bags to get level specific loot. That way, when you salvage them, you get the crafting mats of your tier. It helped me with gathering linen.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Best rewards ever. If you think you have too many, then use them for skill points.

aspirine.6852

Best rewards ever. If you think you have too many, then use them for skill points.

Because I always need skillpoints?

Zavve.8205

Free skillpoints. If you see that as a bad thing then I don’t know what to tell you…

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Yeah I’m saving them up until I have enough to max out my Ele, and after that I’ll keep saving until I can level up my other alts, etc. It’s really nice that playing my main can get me experience for my alts.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

aspirine.6852

Free skillpoints. If you see that as a bad thing then I don’t know what to tell you…

I have 350 on my ele alone, why do I want more of them.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Tomes are fine.

Level 20 scrolls, not so much.

I could see myself making 4 maybe 5 more alts beyond my 8 80s, but I have like 12 level 20 scrolls.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Zavve.8205

Do you complain about the free items in the gemstore? I am curious. Also, skill points have multiple uses and if you feel like you really have no use for them then delete them. It still does not make sense that you see it as a bad thing.

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Over 1100 on my main, not even counting the ones on my alts plus around 3 full stacks of Scrolls of Knowledge. Still waiting for some actually good sink for them

aspirine.6852

Do you complain about the free items in the gemstore? I am curious. Also, skill points have multiple uses and if you feel like you really have no use for them then delete them. It still does not make sense that you see it as a bad thing.

I just do not do the things that require skillpoints. So for me they are not usefull , I believe that was the OP’s question.

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

yet more useless inventory cloggers seemingly created to push me towards paying for more inv space. At least make them TP-able.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Just eat them, or throw them out. Don’t even see the need to start a thread on it- this is a bit like complaining that you have too much copper in your bank when it reaches your limit after farming starter zones for weeks.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

There are no downsides to ToK. If you have to many, then use them for skill points. (take the time to read about the game and find out what skill points can be used for. they’re a bit like a currency in the game)
People have been asking for some time about ways to get more of these. Now we finally get more of them, and there are complaints?

Naz ©

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I love them.

I have some characters that don’t work very well without all the traits, and they’re a pain to gain levels on. Now I can set them aside and use others, and they’ll eventually still get to 80. Yes, I’ll still have to deal with the trait system, which is awful, but it’s still a huge leap forward in finishing the characters’ builds.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Love them. Once I get 78 I make a new character and tome jump him to 80. It’s the fastest way to get access to all the personal story chapters, attribute bonuses, as well as the level up rewards, and then you can just play the game.

Trait unlocks are still garbage, though.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

There great for leveling alts, and if not, they are skill point scrolls for a level 80. What’s not to like about them?

Skill points are basically useless for those of us with all of the skills, hundreds of extra skill points, and hundreds more scrolls of knowledge.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

There great for leveling alts, and if not, they are skill point scrolls for a level 80. What’s not to like about them?

Skill points are basically useless for those of us with all of the skills, hundreds of extra skill points, and hundreds more scrolls of knowledge.

They can be used to gain gold though, if you know how.

Maybe we need a more direct way to turn skill points into profit? Would that help?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I just do not do the things that require skillpoints. So for me they are not usefull , I believe that was the OP’s question.

And next people that only play one character complain that we get 5 characterslots
because THEY have no use for them and those empty slots annoy them to hell ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

You have all the tomes but all your toons are already lvl 80…. so you buy a character slot to use them.

They are basically the same type of loot as a black lion chest…

You don’t get any use out of them unless you spend gems.

(clever marketing strategy)

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tomes of knowledge. I may be in the minority, but I currently have 11 characters which include one of each class and an extra Ranger, Guardian, and Thief. I suspect I’ll have some additional alts in the future. In the event that I didn’t want to make another, I would at least be able to use them for the skill points, which I find invaluable for mystic forging and creating superior siege for WvW.

Thanks!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I’m sure they’ll be useful if I ever want a new character.

With the current trait system, I don’t want a new character.

How much do I want to avoid the trait system? My wife and I are going to dancing lessons tonight.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

As a person who likes Tomes, I think some of you are being unfair to those who don’t.

You can’t really compare them to “free stuff” because they are often rewards. It’s been a common thing in GW2 for us to be rewarded with stuff we aren’t going to use.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer : Yes, they are useful. Even though I have all 80s and don’t need them right now, they will come in handy if I decide to make another alt (unlikely, due to the awfulness of the NPE level changes), and they are surely useful to others leveling up. It’s a shame I can’t sell/mail them to others who need them.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I deleted a load but now I am saving them just in case I choose to make another character later. Unlikely, but you never know…

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

I find them a fantastic work-around for one of the most horrible leveling experiences I’ve seen.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I still have a handful of characters I’m working my way to 80 with, one I hate playing, but don’t want to delete so the only way is with these.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

They are designed to compel players to purchase more character slots so they can be used. As the tomes pile up in your bank – so to does the urge to use them. Granted there are people that don’t fall for it, those that don’t care to create any more characters. Yet there are many players that do.

Hi. My name is Azhure and I’m an altaholic.
I was doing so well for a long time. Good days where I focused on my main characters and was loving life. Then just last week a bunch of tomes were thrown at me. I was weak. An alt was created that night. My 15th character. The tomes are gone but now I feel the shame and have to pay the price. Traits need to be purchased or hunted down, she has to be equipped in the very best gear, and I need to start her down the path of map completion at some point.

Thank you. * walks off stage *

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

I really like this Tomes. I only levelled one 80 and PvP mostly, so it will be nice to get a second 80 without the levelling grind. Downside is I won’t be all that familiar with my new profession at first . .

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

skullmount.1758

Over 1100 on my main, not even counting the ones on my alts plus around 3 full stacks of Scrolls of Knowledge. Still waiting for some actually good sink for them

Same here. Skillpoints are useless too (right now). If we ever get the ability to forge stuff more than one at a time, I’ll gladly go through my 1000 skillpoints (and 2 stacks of scrolls) on making as much superior siege as I can (for my servers commanders, not to sell), but making them one at a time right now (at least 5 double clicks for each superior) isn’t really worth it.

Darkhaven server

skullmount.1758

post to fix buggy forum.

Darkhaven server

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

you can use them to get black lion keys